Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• fwoods2fwoods2 Member Posts: 1
    Have the dealer check the battery. My S500 had a bad cell in the battery but overall car ran fine. When dealer replaced battery problem disappeared.
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    ...or how it measures up to an F1 car?

go to this link and choose you video format

http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=38

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I knew it would happen, I predicted it in 2000!!! Mercedes-AMG is building a limited run of 2003 CL55 AMG Cabrios, at 132K a piece. Mercedes has not ruled out having the CL Cabrio as a regular model in the MB lineup. Autoweek May 13th, issue.

M
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    it sounds cool, but I would never go as far as say it would be a regular model in the lineup. They would sell what, maybe 10 a month?
  • jenehowardjenehoward Member Posts: 2
    I live in SF Bay area. Can anyone who has S240/320
    share how much paid for major maintainence(15k/30k
    miles)? And how about the dealership's attitude?
    Thanks.
  • jenehowardjenehoward Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I meant C240/320.
    Volume doesn't come into play with the CL coupes anyway. They're still the rarest of Benzes. I was starting to question whether or not they actually existed a little while ago, but they're out there.

M
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    Im in the market for a used S class Mercedes. Or the Lexus LS400 (98-99). How reliable are the S Class mercedes and which is a better choice S320 or the S420? How is the cost of maintenance on the Mercedes using a good repair shop other than the dealer? You can also email your input and opinions. pwas1@msn.com
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    Looks like you have narrowed your search nicely. 98-99 Ls400 and 320-420 S-Class cars all seem to be in the $30k range. I think your choice will have to be based on your priorities. The W140 S-Class cars are quite reliable in the later production run. There were some issues early '92-94 with AC and front suspension shimmy. They were long since corrected by '98-99. The Mercedes is really a tank. That model was one of the last "overbuilt" Mecedes.

If you want the ultimate in trouble free motoring and are willing to take a little less car the Lexus is surely the ticket. If you want a true dreadnought, buy the S420 or even a 500 if you find a nice one. You very likely will have a few more service visits in the S-Class but, it is by no means a car that requires constant attention. That has been badly overblown, mostly by Lexus owners.

IMO the Mercedes is a better car. Pick one up from a dealer with the "Starmark" extended factory warranty and enjoy the worlds best engineered sedan.

Or buy the LS400, certainly the most trouble free sedan, and a very nice car. It is just a little bland by comparison. It all depends on where your priorities lie.
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    I agree with v12power, the Benz may require more visits to the repair shop over a period of years, but in the end, if you're looking for what was arguably one of the best engineered cars out there, the Benz is the better choice. From what I've seen and what my mechanic says, the Benzes are more durable while the Lexuses are more reliable. I can vouch for that, our friend has a 1989 300SDL with over 600,000 miles, he's finally starting to have internal work on the engine but other than a severely sand-blasted front end, the car looks much younger than it really is. My mom was also looking to trade in her 1987 420 SEL with a 1997 S420 and I have to admit, it was side by side with an LS420 and the solidity of the Benz was overwhelming compared to the Lexus in the way the doors shut and felt, although both were and still are very nice cars. In the end, pwas, you can't go wrong...
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I am interested in getting an E500. I posted a question about 2003 order/delivery times in that thread. I currently have a 2000 S500 and really like it but want more of a drivers car next. I refuse to keep these cars past the inital warranty period. Imagine when the electronics wear out and, for example, the instrument gauges go. Can you say thou$ands just to return your speedometer and tach. Anyways, my question is do any of you MB followers know if for the 2003 S-Class update they are going to drop the S430. The CLK430 and E430 are gone in the redesigned models. Does this mean the S will be the S500 S55 and S600 only until the totally new model comes in 2005? Anyone know. My dealer sure doesn't.
    Well lets see...no other MB's will use the 4.3L V8 after 2002, so on that count I would say the S430 is dead. Mercedes usually doesn't produce one specific engine for any of it's cars. They always spread an engine out over several model lines. However if they S500 is going to become the "entry-level" S-Class then a price reduction is in order. The problem here is that MB is running a little behind with their next generation of engines. There should be a S450 with 315hp and a S530 with about 360hp, but that isn't going to happen. I've seen where the face-lifted S is set to debut at Paris in the fall, but if thats the case the U.S. won't see the car until early 2003, most likely spring 2003...thus it will be a "2004" model, which will have a short life because a totally new S is due for the 2006 model year in the U.S. I can't see Mercedes surrendering the market to Lexus and BMW. I say they'll keep the S430 around for the duration of the current S' life. Come to think of it they built the old S320 (with the inline 6) for a while after the new "V6" engines came out, so they have built a model with a lone engine before.

M
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Good save. I was going to correct your lone engine theory. A '99 S320 is an intriguing automoble as it is true one of the last classic Benz sedans.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Several hundred posts ago, there was a request on how to fix a smelly A/C. There is a product called DWD2 that may fix this problem. I've seen it advertised in magazines (C&D?) and was tested on MotorWeek (PBS) a long time ago. I believe they got good results. It doesn't hide the odor but removes it by cleaning the evaporator system. I posted the URL for more info.

http://www.dwd2.com/Products/products2.html

Yep, yep I thought about it mid-ramble. Actually they built the SL600 with it's "old" 48V DOHC V12 a long time too with it being the only MB to have that engine. The "new" V12 came out in 2001. So the S430 has a chance because for one it's not a seperate, entirely different engine like the S320 and SL600 were, its the same engine, just of a different displacement.

M
    Mercedes S500 outaccelerated and outmaneuvered the BMW 745i in a recent TopGear comparison. They said that the merc was more of a driver's car. Not good for BMW, especially considering that the Bimmer had 19in wheels with performance tires and 333hp (european version), whereas the S500 was down 27hp and had the "handicapping" standard 16 inch wheels with all-season tires. Also to note was the fact that the MB did not have ABC, whereas BMW had the new semiactive system. How is that for a lack in power?!
  • bmw_5_seriesbmw_5_series Member Posts: 6
    Could you give me the URL for the Top Gear comparison? I am not able to find the comparison at http://www.topgear.beeb.com .
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some uncivil, argumentative messages - and responses to same - have been removed.

It is possible to disagree AGREEABLY. It is possible to hold civil debates about perceptions, beliefs and facts without calling names and/or denigrating each other in any way.

In fact, your Membership Agreement requires that you do just that.

Thank you.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    MBUSA's website is hinting that there is an "addition" to the S-Class for 2003. I wonder what that could be. Anyone have any info on the 2003 S?

M
    When I ordered my E500 the salesman told me the new S would be arriving late Aug/Sept with the E and CLK. Almost all the new stuff available for the E will be available on the S and then some. I think the 'additions' refer to things like 4 matic, electronic brakes, upgraded engines, and the surround sound audio system. I would be surprised to see a 'new baged' model. I love the car althougth I am turning in my S for the E because I want a smaller more driver oriented maching.
  • dzanone1dzanone1 Member Posts: 8
    at an 89 420 SEL garage kept and one owner as a second occasional car for my husband and myself. My daughter just got the license and wants to drive my Jeep and my husband travels and takes his company car. What do people think?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    That is a wonderful car. It is before the days of major electronic do-dads. Personally I would feel MUCH better with my daughter in the Mercedes, it is a much safer vehicle, especially if your Jeep is the Wrangler open type.

I can't think of any specific faailings of that series of MB. The typically run 250k miles without incident. The only pitfall is that, unless already converted, it runs the old AC refrigerant R-12 which is scarce and expensive. Converting the system to the new 134a is also a costly thing. Something to consider with the purchase price.
    ...will have an upgraded interior, of a much better quality. Hinted are a new generation of 4-valve engines, as well as a detuned Maybach Type12 making 495hp. The 55 should have the 476hp superchraged engine
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    My '91 Mercedes was the "last" of the old style. It was an absolutely beautiful car (black/Palomino) but between 78,000-82,000 miles, we lived at the dealership. I was hoping to get "250,000" miles but it was just not to be. I had spent about $7,000 in repairs over the last three years that I had it; which included

New fuel injection (twice, dealer paid for 2nd repair) $2,000
    New power steering gear box $2,000
    Rear tail light leaked water $300 (never wrecked)
    Rear window actuator $300
    New radiator $600
    Engine gaskets $500

there were a few other repairs I can remember at the moment, so in Oct of '99 I bought a new 2000 E430 sport with a Warranty! I haven't had an ounce of trouble and probably will not keep a car past the warranty period.

I kept worrying that the air condition was going to go, but, I didn't keep the 560SEL long enough to find out and didn't want to put any more money in a older car.

Happy Motoring, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    I leased a 93 S Class for 5 years. It was in warranty for 4 and out for 1. The car had a very touchy front end. As the tires wore the steering wheel would develop a slight tremble, there was no way to get rid of it without puting on new tires. I received a class action award of $1,200 that was at least partially due to the front end instability.

I can't remember all the reasons the car was in the shop, but I can remember many unscheduled sessions at the dealership.

It certainly was the most complex car ever built. The side view mirrors would fold back to give the car the more side clearance, all the doors would pull in the last notch with a motor. That was just the beginning. I think you're really asking for it if you buy a used one.
  • ejerodejerod Member Posts: 86
    I leased my 2001 S500 with AMG package in November 2000. IN a 15 month period it had to be serviced no less than 8 times for various electical and mechanical problems. Needless to say I was not happy. The district manager came down and discounted a new 2002 for me and bought my old car back for about 10k more than book. Still not the happiest guy in the world since my lease payment still went up due to depreciation of the old car and appreciation of the new. I'd gone out and looked at other cars and the only one that even came close to making me want to purchase was the new BMW 745 Li. More car and less money. Still I have to admit I love the S500. There is nothing on the road that turns more heads and in spite of what the critics say about the COMAND system it becomes second nature after a few weeks of playing with it. SO far the new car has performed like a Mercedes Benz should. The dealer was more than gracious and attentive when I told them to take the car back and they put me on the VIP list to boot. Again, I'm not ecstatic, but given the fact that the dealer could have made it more difficult than it already was, I have to say I'm satisfied.. the moral of the story ? Make sure the car you buy isn't manufactured on a Friday or Monday..
  • torbytorby Member Posts: 1
    S500, 1998 with 51,000 miles.

Transmission just blew out, which is very unusual, I am told...

Has anyone heard of any issues surrounding the transmission for this model year??

Has there been any manufacturers problems or other.

Please advise if you know where to go to review and possibly claim, since this repair should not have been necessary.

Thx
  • ttdang123ttdang123 Member Posts: 6
    Hi

I am looking into a 1997 S320 LWB with 55000 miles. This is a Southern CA car. Any advices on how this car would hold up or expenses would be appreciated very much.

Thanks
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    My brother is looking at a 1983 380SEL. It has 154,000 miles, and seems to run well. Are there any specefic problem areas that he should look for? How much longer will this car last? There is no sludge or depositing at all under the valve covers - looks very clean. There are a few minor rust spots - is rust a problem on these cars? Also the car seems to just sit there as the gas is slowly applied then seems to take off rather quickly - is this just a characteristic of the car (being fairly heavy with a small v-8 and needs a few rpms to get going). Once moving it has plenty of power.

The asking price is $2,900. Is that reasonable?
  • rickyfanmdrrickyfanmdr Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dudley! I drive a 1985 380SE with 102,000 miles on it, and I absolutely love the car. I'm the original owner. I just put in a reservation on a new 2003 E320, but if I didn't sell real estate and feel social pressure about driving a 17-year-old MB, I could drive this car forever! The problem area for me has been the transmission, which I have just replaced for the second time. The first one went at 60,000 and the second went at just over 100,000. But I do zillions of really short trips, so I'm particularly hard on a transmission. I live at the beach, and I have absolutely no rust after 17 years. I have plenty of zip with my v8, but it is a heavy car, and you have to stick your foot in it a bit--it will certainly feel sluggish if you apply the gas slowly. Once he gets the feel of driving this car, though, I think he'll be very happy with its acceleration. I would have a trusted mechanic check the car out very carefully. I love the looks of the new cars, but I have really mixed emotions of letting this car go. It's a beautiful well-loved workhorse that was built at a time when they didn't have all of these excessive electronic doodads that are going to cost a fortune to replace. By the way, my detailer, who collects and shows classic cars, keeps marveling at the quality of the materials of the car.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Thanks for your advice!
  • tiger40tiger40 Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone help...I bought the AMG 5 spoke 220 rims (8.5 front/9.5 rear) with Potenza S03's (245/45/18 front and 275/40/18 rear) for my S430. This is the exact dimensions of tires and rims for the S55 and S500/S430 sport. However the tires are slightly rubbing over bumps. I was told that they are the same vehicle W220 and should not rub. I can raise the car (with the airmatic) and they seem to be ok...but over 75mph...the vehicle comes back down and I have to press the button again. Is there anything I can do??? Maybe set the shocks so that they stay up .....My wife thought I was crazy paying all that money on rims and tires....and now she is getting a big laugh because they now rub. HELP!!!!

Roscoe
    You need to have the fender lips modified. The sport package vehicles have this service done from the factory.
  • stecotstecot Member Posts: 1
    I had at least 7 Mercedes since 1981. They were all new except for a '74 450SL. They have been great cars and virtually trouble free. My newest car is a 2001 S430. To all of you considering a new S-Class, DON'T. Drive, take a cab or run away from your Mercedes dealer. My 2001 S430 and other S-Class owners I have spoken to are having many quality problems with their cars. As an example, My car spent 6+ weeks in the first 6 months of use in the shop. They had to order VIN specific parts for my car. The parts came in for a right hand car and we had to wait longer. I think Mercedes has lost its way and obviously doesn't know its left from their right hand. Almost everything electronic has been replaced including the computer, instrument binnacle, fuel management system, front breaks, navigation system, speech recognition system, all keys and locks, the in car phone base unit, windshield washer hoses, a piece of drivers seat trim, the fuel tank vent valve, noisy windshield wiper blades twice, etc. In addition we are on our third Motorola cell phone which was an $1100+ option!!!!! You can get virtually the same phone for $.01 with selected cellular plans and it's overpriced at that. Incidentally, our second navigation system isn't working correctly. This car and many other S-Class cars are LEMONS. Stay away from them. My second car is a Hyundai Elantra GT, loaded to he gills for less than $14000. I can count on it to always run and the quality is unbelievable for the price. I will never buy a MB again.
  • roger58roger58 Member Posts: 3
    In contrast to "stecot's" post previously, I have had my 2001 S500 sport since early last year, and it has been totally reliable. In fact, the only service that has been done are oil changes and winter tire changeovers. No squeaks, rattles, electrical gremlins or mechanical failures have occurred. I am extremely happy. So much so that I have ordered a 2003 S55 AMG. I think stecot, that you must have purchased one of the rare 'bad' ones.
  • tiger40tiger40 Member Posts: 10
    Benznut et al,

Thanks for the advice on the tires I posted last week (1185). However the fender does NOT need to be modified....you must take the car in to have the shock absorbers re calibrated. I was very pleased to learn this and I was very happy to pay the $200 for the 3 hours of labor that was done via computer. Now my S55 AMG tires fit very nicely on my S430. If anyone wants to put the larger tires on a non sport or AMG S Class....you will need to take it to the merc dealer to get the shocks adjusted.
    Interesting. Airmatic adjustment?

M
    Here are the photos of the 2003 S-Class. Hardly any change except bumpers, headlights projection and tail lights. Nothing about any interior upgrades. If this is true MB might really loose sales to BMW, AUDI(A8), the new Jag, the Bentley MSB series, and Phaeton until the 2006 models come out. I really don't like the new tail lights. Any comments by our MB fans

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w220fl.htm

Yeah I too hope there is more in store for the 2003 S.

M
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I like the new tail lights and the front end is starting to grow on me with the 2003 changes improving it further. I don't think MB has to worry about losing sales to the other competors due to model changes. The BMW styling is polarizing (i like it). Sales of the Phaeton is anybody's guess but it is targeted at current VW customers not current MB customers. My real point is that I think that the S class continues to hold a unique spot in the marketplace. It's real challenge is maintaining allegience to the values that created that unique spot in the first place.
  • e6987ktle6987ktl Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 94 S500 with 110K miles. Is it a reliable and nice vehicles to own? What are the problems with it that I should consider. The asking price is 21K.
    Appreciate your inputs.
    Thanks
    Looks like tail lights, headlight lenses, bumpers, some interior materials upgrades, upgraded engines in the S55 S600, 4 Matic option, and button changes on the center console around the COMAND system are all that is in store for the next 3 years until the complete redesign is released. Not bad for a already good car but I wished for more. The Auto Bild article implies than MB has put so much $ and time into the CLK, E, and CLE models coming out that there wasn't much left for the S, and they would rather look toward MY2006.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w220fl.htm
    It seems that might be true, I too was hoping for more with this "facelift".

M
  • mbdannymbdanny Member Posts: 1
    Anybody with suggestions ? Should I go for the dirt cheap end year model S500?
    Or should i just wait it out a month or two and go for the face lifted 2003 s-class for a few bucks more a month ?
    Any of you like the AMG frames/tires ?
    I prefer a softer ride, but also a cooler looking tires, looking for a compromise

mbdanny
    I'd wait and see what the 2003 models have to offer, if you don't just "need" a new car right away.

M
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    <http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/5703_image.jpg>

It gets Maybach-inspired headlights and a longer wheel-base. Modified Maybach engine is to be used in top of the line model.

Nah that drawing/pic is just a alteration of the current C-Class.

M
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    Yeah, I thought it looked too enhanced and knew it was an alteration, but I wouldn't be surprised if it looks a bit more like this. For some reason, it reminds me of the old S-Class, that big more sqared off one.

Here is the real deal, but not dessed for the occasion:

<http://thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/5704_image.jpg>

Notice how the A-pillar kind of grows out of the side and hood of the car like the new E and CLK models.

This discussion has been closed.