Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• lovenavylovenavy Member Posts: 15
    hi.

i'm planning to purchase a new car in few months.
    i really like the styling of the s500, but after
    reading all the comments, i have second thoughts.
    i plan to keep the car longer than the 4 years warranty. also i like the ls430. any suggestions
    will help.thks.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    94 s350,32k miles. 1k miles ago took mb for annual inspection, passed, but had bad suspension rod in front, i could hear clunking. over $ 500 to replace, plus 4 wheel alignment, another $80. 1 year later started to feel shimmey, but it seemed like back end. 1 month later checking air pressure,BOTH back tires worn to threads on outsides(tires had 6k mi michlen mxv's). had Sears check since they are local michelen reps, but they couldn't do 4 wheel alignment. finally took to my mechanic and he had to take car to bmw dealer, only one in town who could do it. $400 later hope car is ok. also own toyota 4runner and nissan maxima, never have these problems! i could go on, but tired of typing.
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    Its a shame that MB is virtually forced to stay out of the diesel passenger car market in the US. The trend started in California and now has shifted eastward to cover the entire country. Both my parents drive MB diesels(since the early 70's), with the latest including a 1995 S350 and 1998 E300 TurboDiesel. The vehicles are true stallions and workhorses continuing to perform perfectly from front to back. Although diesel cars have been sterotyped by many as pollution pockets and "dirty" running cars, well let truth be known-- 25-30mpg in the city isn't too shabby.
    Oh yeah how 'bout 400-600 miles on one tank of fuel(not gasoline)? Its bullitproof. The SUV's, commercial gasoline and diesel vehicles are the problem children in and for the environment, not the diesel passenger cars of today.

Currently Volkswagen is the only manufacturer in the US selling diesel cars.

I wish MB would and could bring the 2003 CLK AMG CDI to the US. Talk about a high performance economical sports car!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Just as soon as the USA catches up with the rest of the civilized world, and gets the sulfur out of all of its motor fuel [gasoline and diesel], MB has already said it is prepared to reintroduce the new generation of direct injection turbo diesels to this country.

The law mandates that this happen...EVENTUALLY...because the oil companies and their lobbyists have Congress giving them years to make the change. Since the refiners in Europe are already using the technology necessary to get sulfur out, there is no excuse but money...as usual.

Even the almighty CARB has finally recognized [through the Board chairman] that clean diesel has a role to play in the total picture of minimizing global pollution [including CO2]. But nothing will happen until Congress forces the oil companies to get going - all of the car companies are ready and able to offer diesel alternatives once the fuel gets cleaned up.
  • benzbuddybenzbuddy Member Posts: 10
    Back in 1995 I bought a new E-320 Cabriolet. Today it has only 3,348 miles on it. And the love for it does not stop. However at high speeds (like riding on the highway) the rear end of it seems to shake slightly. Especially when the top is town. If anyone knows why please give me advice on how to stop it. I hate the hassle of going down to the place where I bought it.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Wow a 1995 E320 Cabrio with on 3348 miles! Sounds like your Benz is protesting NOT being driven enough. Seriously though, that sounds like a tire issue, they can go bad during storage. I'm assuming your car is stored due to the age/mileage ratio. Does it go away after a few miles or is it constant?

M
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...my personal bet is flat-spotted tires, unless the car has been on jacks when not used.

Putting the top down makes the naturally more flexible body [over its coupe or sedan counterpart] of the convertible that much more prone to feeding the vibrations through the structure.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    check the brake lines for leaks, and take the wheels to a tire shop and ask them to balance them. Come back and tell us whats up.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I am trading a 2000 S500 in for a 2003 E500 in early Dec. and just for fun used the MBUSA website to configure some 2003 S models. Wow is it me or are the prices up. The sports package etc.. seem more expensive although I can't remember the older ones but I configured some S55 models into the low $140K's with options. S600 comes in around $150K. Also I thought the S600 included the phone in the past. Seems there are more seperate options now. Anyways, anyone know for sure about price increases?
    Merc1, You were a hundred percent right. It was due to the tires. The tires had accualy formed small holes around the air valve when I had it in the garage. When the valves themselves were checked nothing was noticed. It was only when I had to fill the back left tire 4 times in a month that I got worried. Thanks Merc.
    Your very welcome. In another thread you said something about a SL63, is that a new model that Mercedes didn't tell me about?

M
    about 9 months ago When I visited MB' AMG web page I read about a prototype 2003 SL 63. This supposedly had even more power than the previous generation SL 73. Now when you look on the site its gone. I guess MB is not ready for a 700 HP super car
    Nope, they aren't going to put that much hp in a SL, with the SLR due next spring. The SL55 with it's 493hp and the next SL600 will be it for this generation as far as hp is concerned.

M
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    My almost new S had a dead battery, which I noticed when I put the garbage out Sunday night (the little yellow outside turn markers in the side view mirrors were blinking feebly, as were the seat heater buttons inside both doors...is this intentional as a tip-off?). Anyway, the battery death was my own fault. I called 1-800-FOR-MERC and in 10 minutes the local MB guy called me back. He said he was grilling some steaks but would make it over shortly. In 40 minutes he was at my door, changed the battery in about 5 minutes and apologized profusely, like it was his fault.
    I gave him a nice bottle of Merlot and was pleased to be reminded that any problem with any MB I've ever owned has been handled just as painlessly as this.
    Good show.

M
    Merlot, nice stuff. Im guessing your s- class is the 2000+ model judging by the seat heater controls on the door. But what year is it. My S has a audible warning inside the car that tells me if the battery is dying. I have a 01' 600 does it make a difference?
    Im wondering if I should purchase a 03 60-0 and trade in my 01 600 for it or should I wait till 05. Any advice? Id like to hear your input. Thanks.
    I don't think anything was chirping inside....it was pretty darn dead though (the carwash guy left the dome lights on). I looked at the '03s; nice refreshing job, esp the dash, but I do love mine and will have to wait for this lease to be up before re-upping. My wife has an ML and is waiting on an E sometime next summer (on order).
  • xsnowmanxxsnowmanx Member Posts: 3
    Hey my email is mavica@ameritech.net. I wanted to talk to you about your car since my parents own the same exact model. We've had some problems but of a different sort.
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone had a chance to drive the 4MATIC S-Class?? If so, how does it fare compared to its rear drive brother? Comments anyone? This place is dormant.
  • adobadob Member Posts: 18
    Can anyone tell me how to save a location??? (just bought a 2000- brabus edition(not sure what that means) s500 at auction, no books yet). I just want to save "current location". I get to the point where I can enter a name, then what??? no "save or "ok" button... how frustrating!!!
  • bjassinbjassin Member Posts: 5
    The "OK" button is the selector button (the one used to move around the alphabet) pressed in for 2 seconds....

BJ
    now I feel dumb, spent a lot of time on that. Any other non-intuitive hints you can pass along?
  • bjassinbjassin Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I just got the car this past weekend, so I am still trying to learn the various features. If I come up with any other weird stuff like that, I will let you know.

BJ
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A journalist with a major daily newspaper is looking to talk with people who bought entry-luxury cars having owned more-expensive luxury cars (e.g. traded 5-series for 3-series).
    If you have a story to share, please send your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 20, 2002. Please be sure to include the vehicle model names and model years. Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Anyone know if the Comand system in the S-Class would take the Blaupunkt RNS 150 CD roms available on Crutchfield? My local dealer was clueless as to if updates were available to the 12/99 disk I have.
    the current location auto-scrolling map? Not too intuitive either (press 'nav', then twist selector dial til you highlight & press 'info' then highlight & press 'current map' and voila.
  • jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    could anyone offer advice? friend of mine got lease price of 1,189/mo on new s class listing around 75K. 39 mo,15k per yr, 1900 inceptions. sounds very high to me. thanks
    If anyone has an E-320 Cabriolet Talk to me!!!!!
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Pictures/renderings are starting to leak on to the net in regards to the late 2004 launch of the next generation S. Take a look at the next gen S-class forums at germancarfans.com to take a look from various sources.
  • robertn2robertn2 Member Posts: 1
    94 S500 with 147000 miloes for 13000$. I have had 87 300e, 87 300sdl. Loved em and had no major except transmission in 300e. WHat should I be on the lookout for?

The alt is a 1992 300SE with 57000 miles and minimal documentation at an auction company. I offered 7600 and was told that $8500 was turned down. They are firm on $9000. Any advice on what to expect. My wife is watching me closely to say I told you so.
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    The Spy photos of the next generation S-Class are questionable. The rear end on every spy photo has the 7-series esque trunk lid. I think it looks alot better than the trunk on the 7-series IMO. The front fascia of the car in the spy photos were all different which left me wondering which one was closest to the actual thing. At this point we really don't know what it will look like. Computer rendering is usually off from what the car actually looks like. I guess we will have to wait a bit longer.
    All of the photos so far are about as bogus as photos can be. They are merely C/E Class cars modified and BMW 7-Series' with alterations. All bunk.

M
  • airmaticairmatic Member Posts: 54
    after about 10 years, i just couldn't stand New York, and moved to San Diego. almost excellent weather so far...

i got a letter from mb saying that my 3-year lease is almost due (1999 MB ML320). The car only has 14,327 miles ( i am not joking... my wife rarely takes it out, uses the lexus RX300 instead). The car is in really good shape, and I am thinking about renewing the lease, because my wife likes it a lot. but, I am getting tired of the ML, so i have been shopping around lately.

on new-years day, I went to the SD auto-show, and I wasn't really impressed by the selection. I was interested in the Lexus GX470, LS430, and the Mercedes E320. I didn't like the swinging-out door of the rear of the GX, thought that the style was too bland and boring (inside and out) of the LS430, so I seriously considered the E-class.

last night, I thought about the size and value of the new E. i'm used to the macho-size of the S-class cars, and when I test drove it at a dealership, I was rather shocked by the rather-small size (my neighbor thinks that car is huge)- not much rear legroom; so i thought to my self- if I spend around $55,000 on a E320, I may as well spend it all and get a 2003 S430. Now, I already have a 2002 S430, but I noticed quite a diference (more metal inside, rearranged buttons, new COMMAND center, etc...) it drove exactly the same as mine. but then, in about 2 years, the new generation S-class will come out, and this "new" car will almost be obsolete.

now, i am stuck between waiting for the 2005 ML (i heard it is to be similar to the G-class), the 2003 E320, or the 2003 S430. my lease is due in early February. i like the size of the ML, and the size of the S-class. the only thing I rather like of the new E is the exterior and interior styling. i am simply a bit too tired of the M-class ( i have owned 2, 1998 and 1999), so what do you think I should get? any advice would help, as I am completely stuck...
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    If it were me I would extend the lease on your current ML until the new one comes out.

My reasoning being you didn't seem to like the new E any better than the your current S. The new S really isn't going to be that much different than your current one. The new ML should be the size you want and something different and you won't lose as much money in the mean time waiting for the new ML come out. Though from the sounds of it the money lost is the least of your concerns.

Actually you answered your own question...."My wife likes it alot"
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Lots of rumors about major changes on the LS430 in 2004 so you may want to try and find out what is going on there as well. I have the LS430 and love it but I share your opinion about the E. If you have an S or are used to a car that muscular it is hard to go to the E.
    I have an '02 S430 & my wife drives an '02 ML320. We recently got a loaner, a brand new C240. My wife, who drives very little as well, said she'd prefer to switch to that car next and save the extra money for a really great cruise or something. After driving it myself, I have to agree it's a fine car and at a reasonable price.
    well, at first i was "slightly" interested in the new 2004 RX330, but after i saw the pictures (just added on edmunds.com today), i think i'll pass...

yesterday, I found a website that showed some "photos" of the 2004 ML. if that is what it'll look like ( i doubt it), then, i might consider that. after thinking it over, I am probably going to extend the lease until the 2004 LS430 (i'm a fan of that car, but i can wait for the major changes) or the 2005/2006 M-class. Besides, around that thime, the Grand Sports Tourer/GST by mercedes will debut (though i wonder what the MSRP of that will be).

by the way, I recently had to bring my 2002 S430 in for service 4 times within a month's time. i suspect a wheel balancing problem, because when I cruise around 50-70 mph on the freeway, both the driver and passenger seat/headrest vibrate and shake quite a lot (it didn't do this when i bought it). it just started in late November, so i brought it in to my local mb dealerhip (MB of San Diego). i brought it there 3 times; they did absolutely nothing, and I waited for over 3 hours each time). finally, following my neighbor's advice, I drove to MB of Laguna Niguel, and they finally resolved the wheel balancing tire. but, they say in about 3,500 miles, I have to replace the rear tires because they are uneven or something.

i have two questions to ask you guys.. on the S430 and S500, is the airmatic suspension now airmatic DC, like on the E-class? is it basically the same system? also, does mb still offer GPS navigation on the E-class? my book at home has it under options, but when i go to mbusa.com, i didn't see it anymore.
    i found a pic of the 2005/2006 S-class:

http://www.jesmb.de/news/news/pics/w221-as.jpg

and here's the link to the 2004/2005 M-class:

http://www.jesmb.de/news/news/pics/M_01.jpg

i'm not really impressed with the redesign of the S-class (if that photo is genuine), but i will have to see the rear-end of the S to judge it.

Those pics are bogus. That ML picture is merely a drawing and that S-Class pic is just a warmed over version of the current car.

M
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    Actually that S car is an early prototype used in a recent car clinic (if we are to believe the autospies.com) That does not mean that it is the final design, as it is too early in the game to have the final design locked in already. MB may have several tams working on separate projects, whom which the best will be chosen.
    I hope that design doesn't make it, if I believe that picture. That car is too much like the current car. I also find it hard to believe that Mercedes would let the new S-Class pics leak like that. Autospies is a dubious website at best. They usually report what has already been "known" for a while.

M
    i just noticed recently that only on the front wheels, there are these brake-covers that say "Mercedes-Benz" with the logo. its greyish, and have never seen them on any other S-class (not on my brothers 2002 S500), or other S430's, S500, S55, or S600. Is my car different? I remember having to readjust the wheel alignment several months ago, but i think it was there when i purchased the car...
  • leej2leej2 Member Posts: 7
    Re: post of vibration and tire wear.
    Had same problem with wifes '02 S430. Ended up wearing the rear inner tread to belts in 23,500 mi (stock Continentals). Had alignment done and found worn or broken component. Have since added 21k on new Michelins and they are wearing well.
    BTW: Have had car in shop 1/2 dozen times due to Airmatic light coming on. Have replaced most of the components. Have you had similar problems?
    you know, about 4 months ago, that airmatic light on the consol popped up also. both lights turned on, and the display said something like AIRMATIC... SEE WORKSHOP! but now, it is gone, and does not pop up anymore.

i tell you, my S430 has had about every single problem possible on a car. :-(

you know, one really wierd thing about this car (S-class) is that I cannot find a single good seating position. the seats are way too big for me (maybe not for a typical german). i dont know... I feel as though I am simply not connected with this car, unlike my other lexus' and the ML.

i am still have no idea about what to do with the ML-lease. i'll probably keep the ML until the GST or new one comes out. as said earlier, E is too small (besides the E350 is supposed to come out in october or something), although a manager offered an Invoice price, GX470's door is to strange in the rear; the rear end also looks a bit odd to me. I probably can't stand another S430, and i haven't found a good lease/price on the 745i, oh what the heck... i'll keep the good ol' ML!
    I also don't like my seats ('02) and cannot seem to get comfortable; they are just too hard. I had a '97 S500 before and had no particular complaints about the seats, though sitting in a new Caddy sure feels better than either S class. I wish there were a solution that wouldn't affect my lease.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Any other posters have a recent model S600? I am considering purchasing or leasing one but am slightly concerned considering the price of the S600 and some of your postings.

Also, do any S-class owners have specific lessons-learned or feedback on potential improvements by MB in the assembly quality of the S-class?

Thank you.
  • wood930wood930 Member Posts: 5
    Are there any other sources for wiper blades on 2001 S other than $120 at the dealer?
  • wood930wood930 Member Posts: 5
    Bought 2001 S55 recently and love the car. However, have notice great deal of wind noise emanating from drivers side mirror. No cracks in the housing, and have folded in&out to make sure tight seal. Any thoughts about what could be causing this appreciated.
    Anyone here have a 2003 S yet?

M
This discussion has been closed.