Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Finally took "Goldie" in due to the CEL on Monday. The light had been on for a couple of months. When it first came on my service advisor said no real problem since there were no running problems. Got tired of seeing the light and when the service reminder came on, I took her in. Got her back tonight. They couldn't get the fault codes to stay cleared and contacted the Volvo tech line for help. The mass air flow sensor and a fresh air hose were replaced and that cleared the codes. Hopefully the CEL will stay off. Tmart
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    TMart:

Got my IPD catalogue yesterday and noticed that they have a device (US$~170.00) that you can use on your own to clear these things. ipdusa.com is the url.
    I saw it in the catalog too. Tmart
    so I guess the replacements by the dealer corrected the problem. Time will tell. Wish it would warm up a couple of degrees so I can wash and Zaino and drop the top! Tmart
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    ARE THESE CARS VERY COSTLY TO REPAIR
    Really can't say because I've still got over 2 years left on the warranty. However I believe as a general rule, imports are more costly. Tmart
    Agree with TMart.
    Took in my 2000 HT for it's 30,000.
    $562.36 in all.
    That included the $22.00 for the wiper blades and the $160 in labor for the brakes. I bought the brakes from IPD and they were about $65 for front and rear.
    Arm rest cup holders finally broke and I spent $40.00 on that.
    17" tires cost around $330 a pop (I think).

Overall, I think you're going to see higher costs with the HT coupes however, everything that has gone wrong with mine has been under warranty. Get the extended warranty if you get one of these. I've had the stereo replaced 3 times but that's mainly because driving in Chicago is the equivalent of offroading and those coupes aren't tremendous at shock absorption.
  • cindylanecindylane Member Posts: 2
    Hi. First time poster. I own a 1999 C70 and have only put 19500 miles on it. Since buying it new in 2000, I have had the convertible top in to be repaired 6 times. The top sticks and the windows will not go up and the chime keeps going off, even if the top is up. They replaced sensors and microswitches and finally Volvo North America stepped in and "fixed" it. It happened again after it was "fixed." They say that this is unusual. Somehow I doubt that.

I am also having problems with the car sticking in gear. There have been times when I can't get it into drive from reverse. Very scary when backing out of a driveway. One time it would not start at all and it was towed 200 miles to a dealer who told me that the gear shift was stuck and the car did not think it was in park. He was unable to duplicate the problem and no faults to the computer. Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

I love the car but I seriously think this particular one has some problems in the brain. I am considering getting a 2002. Anybody experience these kinds of problems with a 02? Thanks for the input
    I,too, have a 99 C70 convertible but with a little over 23k miles. Sorry to hear of your problems. Can understand your frustrations. Fortunately, for me, I've not had any driving problems like yours, and no real problems with the top operation. At the 22.5k check up, I mentioned a "thunk" when the top was raised, when the rear window portion seated. They found a bracket was loose, and after tightening, the thunk went away. Only real problem I've had was the check engine light coming on around 20k, but it caused no driving problems, just aggravating to see it on. It was fixed at the 22.5 check up, but it took the dealer three days and calling Volvo for help to find the cause and fix the problem. No other problems so far.

Did you buy the accessory wind screen? If not, I highly recommend it. You won't believe the difference it makes. Tmart
  • cindylanecindylane Member Posts: 2
    Thanks tmart. The problem with my top ALWAYS started with a thunk. They finally replaced a misaligned bracket and said that this should do the trick. I'm not convinced since I still hear noises when taking the top up and down. I'll look into the windscreen if I decide to go with the 2002.
    I have a 01 Coupe so obviously am not going to put any word in on the top. I am assuming that you have an auto trans. I had a similar problem which may, or may not, help. I was able to move the shift but the car was not engaging in gear, and therefore I could not start the car. The reason for this was that the shift lock button had a bad connection . They replaced it and it is fine. It probably also helps now that I make sure that the dog doesn't step on it anymore.

Craig
  • ccarterccarter Member Posts: 4
    I have had trouble with the first one volume went up on it's own, couldn't get radio stations. I can get same radio stations on my other cars. So was pretty sure it was stereo. Had it replaced. Now the new one is acting the same. Any suggestions? The dealership acts like I am crazy. I only have one year left on warranty. yikes. Let me know what any of you have done to remedy this problem it is really annoying.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Have had similar problems since the beginning on the highest "surround sound" setting. I can't remember what it is called. What I'm talking about is the three different settings, regular, 3 channel and surround is what I think they are called. Anyway, problem was only with the radio not the CD. It was explained to me that in the higher setting, there was only one local station broadcasting the right signal, so what was happening was the radio was having trouble trying to create the surround sound when it could not get the proper signal. We have been driving for 3 years with the highest setting on CD but the 3 channel setting on radio. If I am not making sense, let me know and I'll look at the car tonight when my wife brings it home and try to re-post more intelligently.
    No. You make sense. 'ProLogic' is the other setting. I'm sorry that I can't empathize with either of you but living in Chicago, I have more stations than should be legally allowed so I am not noticing this problem. We tend to drive with ProLogic on all the time unless someone is in the back seat, then we switch it to 3-Channel.

Also, ccarter, ask them if they checked the connections from the radio to the antena (if there is such a thing). Maybe the problem lies there.??? Other than that, I have no idea.
    Now that you mention the antenna wiring, I do recall seeing a TSB on that issue. Pasted below is the info from Edmunds maintenance section on TSB's. I don't know if it might be related to your problem or not, but certainly there was a wiring issue. A bad antenna could cause volume increases/decreases as the signal strength changed.

10.EQUIPMENT:ELECTRIC POWER
    ACCESSORIES:ANTENNA
    NHTSA Number:
    SB610598
    Bulletin Number:
    Bulletin Date:
    MAR 2000

Vehicle: 1999 Volvo C70
    Summary:
    SUBJECT REGARDING MODIFICATION TO THE POWER ANTENNA GROUND STRAP
    TO IMPROVE FM RADIO DISTRUBRANCE / STATIC.
    I, like Schuhc, leave the setting on Pro-Logic all the time, unless someone is in the back seat. In Houston there are alot of stereo stations too. Since the C70 has two antennas, the mast and one in the rear bumper, occasionally when the signal is weak, the sound quality does change a little as the system seeks the best signal source. It's not very noticeable though and in Houston doesn't happen often. The sound is fantastic, and don't see how the ML in the Lexus could be better. Tmart
    Not that I'm a genius or anything, but I didn't even know that. I bow to your superior C70 intellect!
  • ccarterccarter Member Posts: 4
    well, I have a call into the volvo service dept. Hopefully they will take a look at it. Although my car is a 2000 model the problem could be the same I suppose. Otherwise, I love my car. It is great in bad snow, ice ect.
  • guanxixguanxix Member Posts: 1
    I have been having problems w/ front end noises when I make hard turns at slow speeds since I bought my car in spring '99. Only have 17,000mi. It has been back to the dealer several times and the result is the same. They claim to have lubed the front end. This lasts a few months before the noises return. Any suggestions?
    Sorry I can't help. I, too, have a 99 convertible, but haven't experienced your problem. Have 22k+ miles. Only noise from the front I've have was a roar when stopping. It started around 16k. Dealer replaced the bushings but didn't help that much. After several complaints, was told it could be the tires. Didn't really buy in to that because the tires still appeared good, but when they were replaced, the roar went away! Tmart
  • dick0823dick0823 Member Posts: 5
    My 2000 C70 made a ratchet sound on tight slow speed turns. Usually more pronounced going right. Brought to Service Managers attention who lubricated it and havn't heard it since
  • couchguycouchguy Member Posts: 3
    I too suffer from ratchety/clicky sound from the front end of my 98 coupe, my mechanic friend says it may be the LSD (limited slip) but I have not had it checked out yet, so can not say for sure.

ps : anyone have problems with synthetic oil after 100,000 km = 60,000 mi ?

pps : can anyone recomend a nice wing that has looked nice on a C70 ?
    CouchGuy:

You may wish to go to ipdusa.com. They have a ton of items for the Volvo.
    There's usually some on Ebay too. Tmart
    Anyone know where I can get another magazine for the SC901, other than my friendly Volvo dealer who charges $39.59 + tax? Interestingly, the price is the same at all three dealers here in Houston! Thanks, Tmart
    Hey:

Only thing that I can think of is going to a junkyard to see if they have any wrecked Volvos. It's a lot easier here in Chicago. One just places an order with the friendly neighborhood fix-it guy and has it the next day. Tend not to ask questions afterwards, if you know what I mean.
    *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*
    Thanks, Schuhc, for the info. Any idea what they "cost", wink, wink? Do you know who makes the magazines for Volvo? Alpine?
    I am not busy at all today. So here you go.... They have one @ Circuit City for you below.

Called Tweeter in Houston - they didn't have one. They thought that you should be able to get in touch with Alpine and they would help you out (2pack for $30).

Called Becky at Circuit City (Houston) @ 4500 San Felipe St.(627-2500). THEY HAVE ONE. I told her my friend Tommy was going to come in to get it. If you go in there and tell Becky that you're a friend of Craig's she'll sell it to you for $10 (normaly $20 but it's probably out of the package or something). Told her that you may be in by the weekend.
    Looks like it's just off the loop, just south of I-10.

Let me know how it works out. If it doesn't you can always go directly to Alpine.

Craig
    I thought the CD part was made by Alpine, but wasn't sure. Wish I'd been able to read your note this morning. Was in the Galleria area earlier today taking one of my twins to have his wisdom teeth removed. Will definitely go see Becky. Her price definitely beats the Volvo dealer's price. Thanks again, Tommy
    Anytime Tommy. Gave me something to do.
  • volvodavevolvodave Member Posts: 3
    Hi...

I got my 2000 C70 with 17" alloy rims and Pirelli P6000 tires. One of the Pirellis started bulging out at the sidewall after 10K miles, and Pirelli refused to replace it under warranty (claimed it was a road hazard). Now, 5,000 miles later, I've had another one do the same. @ $250/tire, This is an expensive annoyance.... Has anyone else experienced similar tire flaws with the Pirellis that came with with the car? I'm wondering if their is a history of quality problems with the tires they delivered to Volvo. Thanks
    Volvodave, I, too, had problems with my '99 C70 P6000 tires, but not like yours. Around 19k some small cracks began to develop in the sidewalls of both rear tires. Fortunately, I had bought certificates from Discount Tire for $150 a week after buying the car, so the tires were replaced and sent back to Pirelli. No cost to me, but I did buy certificates for the two new tires, $75 for both. Between 19.5 and 20k the other two tires developed cracks and Discount replaced them too. Bought certificates for them too. So, by 20k, all four tires had been replaced for an initial cost of $150. Interestingly, the original four tires still had a fair amount of tread still left. Needless to say, my first stop after buying my wife's '00 ES300, was at Discount Tire to buy certificates for her tires. Tmart
    We were trying to stretch the life of our P6000 tires ('99 convertible) to the 30k mark when one developed a bubble at around 25k. When the tire was dismounted, it was evident that there was no "road hazard" damage (at least none that could be proved). Since the sidewall of the tire was fine, except for the bubble (no scrapes, cuts, etc.) and since the inside was also undamaged, the shop manager gave us a credit on two of the four for the remaining tread % (against the current selling price of the same tire) and said he would charge it off to Pirelli. He could only do two because he could only justify replacing the tires in pairs. We replaced the tires with Michelin and my wife seems much happier with the ride. I can't tell if the ride and handling improvements were due simply to new tires or change in brand.
  • forbesandrewforbesandrew Member Posts: 10
    I've been following this forum for a while and I've been seeing a lot of quality issues on the Volvo C70.

Are these just the exceptions.. not the rule?
    We purchased a 99 C70 convertible in January 1999. After 35,000 miles we have had a few minor things, but nothing on the car I would consider a "quality" issue. (I wasn't impressed by the original tires, but don't credit that as a car issue as I am not particularly impressed by the Firestone tires on our truck either. Like the Pirelli's, the truck tires will give way to Michelin or BF Goodrich when the time comes). We have had similar minor things on our other past and present cars as well and they were all Honda products. (88 Integra, 89 Accord, 95 Accord and 00 Accord). As much as my wife has enjoyed the C70, should something ever happen to it, we would likely replace with the same (presuming one is available).

Most posts on any bulletin board tend to be problems because there is no need to compare notes on non-problems. Take a look at any of the Honda sites and you would think you were buying a Yugo.
    Thanks for the help on the p6000s, dfwk2500 and tmart. This time, I think I'll have a little more leverage when I insist on a warranty replacement for the tire. When I need to replace the set, however, I'm switching to Michelin. The Pirellis sound like they are the wrong tire for this car, and if I had it to do again, I think I wouldn't even go for the 17' wheels (but don't they look good!)
  • dickmorindickmorin Member Posts: 4
    For those who replaced the Pirellis with Michelin, which Michelin Pilot did you purchase??
    Also, what tire pressure do you run??
    VolvoDave: I've got the Michelin Pilots on mine and have hit 33,000 on Chicago streets.

Dickmorin: Pilot SFX (I think) 32 or 33lbs. I'll check tonight and let everyone know.

Forbesandrew: I think there have been a ton of things on the tires (Pirellis) on this post but keep in mind that one of the things this post does is highlight issues so that resolution can be found. Not many people get on here and totally rave about their cars. I agree with dfwk with my 2000 that all my issues have been minor and quickly resolved. As far as raving goes....

Guys - Got my 2000 HT up to 125 on the way down to Indianapolis for a golf tournament the other day. Had to back off because my wife finally noticed the noise of the wind wipping past the side view mirrors and freaked out. She had no idea that we were going so fast. hehe

Craig
    Craig, thanks again for the lead. Just got back from seeing Becky at CC and the magazine works perfectly. At $10, it was a super buy.
    Haven't hit the century mark yet. Fastest so far has been 95 and still rock solid with more pedal still available.

Re the tires: Since I had the Discount Tire certificates, the replacement tires were P6000's. Can't complain with getting 4 for $150.
    Tmart - Definitely a good idea on the certificates. Glad the CD Magazine worked out for you. Did you tell Becky that I lived in Chicago or did she not even remember me?

Tires - I have the Michelin Pilot SX 225/45 - 17. You guys can always go to 'TireRack.Com' to do research on the tires (user reviews). The Michelin's have been exceptional for me so will probably get them again. TMart obviously has not had many problems with the P6000 and I am guessing that he uses his car frequently. I have heard about the P's being soft such that if the car sits for an extended period of time the tires will develop a 'flat spot' and cause shimmying while driving. I'd also think that location has something to do with it as well. My weather extremes are a bit different than TMart's down in Houston where it hasn't reached 60 degrees since the Cubs won the World Series.
    Yes, Craig, Becky remembered you was expecting me Saturday.

Except for two problems with the P6000's, I've been very pleased with them. The first was a roaring sound when slowing down, from 25MPH to zero. Started around 12k miles. Didn't make the sound when accelerating. Dealer replaced the wheel bearings, but it didn't help that much. He said it was the tires. It did go away when the tires were replaced, so he must have been right. Will be interesting to see in 10k miles if it returns. The second was the cracking sidewalls which could have been a MAJOR problem if not caught in time before failing.

They are called "summer tires", but I'm not sure what that classification really means. I do know "down here" we don't change tires with the season like some of you do "up North" so I guess the classification means they are not meant to be driven in snow, definitely NOT a problem in Houston. My P's stick like glue to the road, and it is hard to make them squeal. No problem in the rain either. Although the traction is good, I still can't bring myself to try your "55 90 degree turns"!!
    Tommy...

Do you guys even have 90 degree turns in Houston?
    Reminder... It's only fun with the spouse in the passenger seat because, like the P's, the only 'squeal' you're going to get is going to come from her. Difficult to make the Mich's squeal as well. Try to find a banked turn if you can.
    Thought you meant a flat turn! And, yes, we have 90 degree turns here, but they usually have 4 way stop signs! Tommy
  • snuffin1snuffin1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2001 C70 LT Convertible but have questions regarding performance. Is this vehicle too slow? Do I need to hold out for the HT?
    You really asked a hard to answer question. "How fast" is subjective. You'll really need to drive it yourself to make the determination. That said, my '99 LT C70 convertible is plenty fast for ME, but may not be for YOU. One plus for the LT is it has more low end torque than the HT. Just my two cents worth. Tmart
    I concur with tmart. We too have a '99 LT convertible and it is plenty fast both around the city and on the highway. The one thing I have noted over the years is that each Consumer Reports auto edition recommends the LT over the HT in this car claiming the LT is more peppy. I have never driven an HT in the C70 so have no basis for personal comparison. Personally, the LT is the larger base motor with the HT having more boost. Since I am not a big turbo fan, had I been given the option (the LT was the only engine available in '99) I probably would have still gone with the LT because the larger engine will outperform the smaller engine until the turbo has completely spooled up.
    I had trouble deciding...but the "low end torque" mentioned by Snuffin was the deciding factor. Basically (my understanding --- feel free to correct me anybody) is that the LT's acceleration peak is at a lower speed/lower rpms. With an automatic, you might as well stay with LT, the gears will shift before you really get the most out of the High pressure turbo.

Mine seems to really motor at "passing lane speeds" (getting from 70 up to 90 in a hurry). An HT might actually do no better at these speeds, but if you want to drive faster, or like shifting, than the HT would be better.

I think the engines are the same, but the HT has slightly less displacement (2.3 vs 2.4) to create a higher pressure turbo.
    Although they probably did not change, the HT/LT differences back in 98 & 99 were more than just the pressure of the turbo.

The HT was 236 bhp and 243 lb-ft.(@ 2700 rpm) It got there with a bore x stroke of 3.19 x 3.54 in for a total displacement of 142 cu in (2319 cc). The compression ratio was 8.5:1. The turbo max boost was 10.5 psi.

The LT was 190 bhp and 199 lb-ft (@1800rpm). It got there with a bore x stroke of 3.27 x 3.54 in for a total displacement of 149 cu in. (2435 cc). The compression ratio was 9.0:1. The turbo max boost was 7.0 psi.

The LT was a larger engine with a larger piston operating at a higher performance compression ratio. Without the turbo boost the LT was the higher performance engine. That's why, even with the turbo boost differences, it reaches the peak of its torque curve faster because it does not need as much assistance from the turbo to get it there. Thus the "quicker" feeling engine for city driving and automatic transmission driving. The HT leapfrogs over the LT by simply bolting on more turbo boost. It is similar to the old debates whether to turbo a 4 or 5 cylinder or just make a non-turbo 6. (Remember GM's foray into the turbo 3.8L in its full size sedans instead of the 5.0L or 5.7L V-8's). It is always best to drive both versions if you are unsure of your preferences. But, keep in mind the engines are different and perform differently. Whether you will ever find a salesperson who can explain the different benefits is another story. You will need a true "gearhead" to fully explain it and then they will have their own prejudices for or against turbo boost vs substantive engine.

Thus before
    I have the HT and mine is a coupe. That being said, it is my understanding that the LT is great off the line and definitely more 'peppy' than the HT. I do however love my HT because when I am on an onramp or on the highway and need an extra bit the car is great and I tend to get a lot of 'extra bit'. I kind of look at it like with the same rationale as when Nigel Tufnel has the amplifier that goes up to 11. My problem with buying the damn HT is that I have a mental block when it comes to horsepower starting with a '1'.

One more item.... You can always buy the LT and then buy the new CPU which gives you around an extra 45hp from Idpusa.com.
    That would be "This is Spinal Tap".