Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Has anyone seen an S-class with an antenna installation other than the ugly black blob in the middle of the trunk lid?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Mercedes has re-introduced the S350 to the U.S. market for the final S-Class run:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=S350V

M
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I don't know why Merc didn't do this sooner. My sister has had two of these SWBs over the years-an '83 and a '92.
    Sometimes the S-class back seat seems a little TOO big....
    I've been hoping for this smaller sedan for a while;shame that right now there seems to be so many disgruntled S owners-at least here. I've been plotting for an S-class for a while now...

I've looked at the picture again,and I'm not sure it is in fact on a shorter wheelbase...I hope it's at least decontented a little...
    I wonder why they didn't put the new 24 valve engine in it. As far as the SWB, the LWB car has far more rear seat leg room than needed, imo.
    Yes the new S350 is a short wheelbase model. This car is just a place holder for the next generation S350 which will have the new generation V6 rated at 268hp. Sometime during 2007 Mercedes is going to add direct injection to all of their "petrol" engines, and that should push the V6's hp closer to 280. This was a rare move to introduce a new model of an outgoing range so close to the end of production.

M
  • fretfuls430fretfuls430 Member Posts: 1
    2000 S430 - put a lot of miles on a trip recently, and now i have these problems, all at once:

Power steering falters and weakens
    Abs light comes on
    transmission doesn't shift smoothly and slips out of gear, dropping to neutral. sometimes i have to pull over, shut off car, restart the engine, then pull away slowly to have it go back into gear.
    When the abs light comes on, the car doesn’t want to shift, RPMs rise to 3-4000 RPMs and won't drop until the transmission slips into neutral and coasts.
    Check engine light will come on and then later shut off for a period of time.
    The SRS light will also come on every once in a while.
    none of these problems are consistent, however they all seem to be related. it even seems that the cars is more likely to malfunction when it has less than half a tank of gas???
    any thoughts or experience with this combination of problems would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
  • ejerodejerod Member Posts: 86
    I don't know what is going on with your S430, but I did have the airbag light come on several times. They replaced the entire air bag in the steering wheel after trying twice to make the light stay off. After finally getting a tech from Germany to come over for my car and several others they found that the wire that triggers the ABS warning light was frayed because of the way it was installed from the factory. I've had several gremlins with the S class' I've owned. They all can be traced to some elsectrical malfunction or relay. The engine is still a good old solid MB, but the rest of the car is as sappy as they come. I hear the young man that has the MB that drives it to high school. I 'd like to remind people that most of the complaints they are hearing are from people who own a 2000 or newer model year. 2000 was the year MB began introducing it's newer product lines. The main reason they are discontinuing the free maintenance is because they have been bleeding money repairing non scheduled items with all the cars. MB is seeing red and is trying to stop the red ink from flowing. ALthough they have experienced great sales advances it is because of the image they have built for themselves that echos their history and thier past. Unless this new CEO does something to restore product quality soon, MB will go the way of the dinosaur. I left the lexus dealership yesterday and I'm waiting for the 2007 LS430..They are introducing a long wheelbase LS that will compete head on with the S500-600 series. ... more horsepower, more car, and light years ahead of MB on reliability, and more of my money stays in my accounts. I bought these cars thinking I would be out of the market for at least 10 years.. but thanks to MB.. I'm 350k poorer and I still have to buy 2 new cars over the next 18 months.. a word to the wise.. if you're looking for a long term ownership experience that won't become like a bad marriage to a gorgeous gold digger, stay away from MB...
  • princeabubuprinceabubu Member Posts: 45
    I'm wondering why absolutely nothing, I mean nothing was said before hand. It just seems like MBUSA put it up there. Edmunds shows nothing about it. Not even a press release has shown up. What's the deal?
    Not sure, and nobody I mean nobody saw it coming. I guess it was a last minute decision to test the market for a 6-cylinder S-Class again. Its just a placeholder car imo.

M
  • paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    Is the S part of the recall? What are the details? What brand, size alternator is being replaced and with what?
  • loslobos71loslobos71 Member Posts: 28
    im confused...who would buy the S350 over the E350 when it is equally fast, same amount of room, and has all of the same features and cost over $10K more? Is it ONLY for people who want the S name? :confuse:
    I recently went to my nearby MB dealer to see the new E350. Just sitting in the car I could see that it wasn't nearly as nice as an S class. There are a lot of differences, the kind you can see and the kind you can't see (like the air suspension of the S class). I would guess that the S class rides smoother and quieter, in addition to other differences. It is too bad, though, that they didn't put the new 24v engine in the S350. I presume it will get it eventually.
  • loslobos71loslobos71 Member Posts: 28
    aren't all of the materials and electronics the same? I do know what you mean, after sitting in them both though.. however imo its not worth $10K..they should have made a short wheelbase S430
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I echo the prior comments about what the S has that the E doesn't, but I am intrigued about the dimensions. The swb S is almost 9 inches longer than E, with more than 4 inches more wheelbase. Yet the legroom is about the same as E, and cargo room is actually a bit less. The S does have significantly more shoulder room and better rear headroom. The space must just be used less efficiently with the shape of the S.
  • tsawyertsawyer Member Posts: 1
    My wife is suing MBUSA under Maine's Lemon Law for her 2003 S-430 4-matic with AMG package. She purchased this particular car for monthly commutes between our home in Maine and Savannah, GA ... in all weather.
    Her Command System fails to "wake up" regularly, but intermittently. In fact, it's been "repaired" now 10 times in 24 months. When it failed the 11th time, we asked for help on a replacement and got the Cold Shoulder from MBUSA. Now, we believe Arbitration will award her $90,000 for her car (original purchase price less minimal depreciation over the past 47,000 miles in two years).
    I'm searching the 'net for as much informaiton as I can find to present to our Arbitrator regarding similar failures (oh, her transmission leak needed major repair within 180 miles and her front strut failed late one night outside Winston-Salem while driving back to Maine!)
    Any insights you can provide would be truly appreciated.
    Tom
    BTW: We've owned 14 MB's over 30 years and still have a 2003 CLK Sport and 2002 E55 in the garage next to her S-430 ... never again!
    There is absolutely no excuse for this. Ten times for the same repair. Mercedes should have at least steered you to another dealer. This dealership is ridiculous imo. There is no way I would even want to see a person back that many times for the same repair if I were the service department manager. This car should have been bought back by MB many repairs ago. Somebody still doesn't get it.

Dare I ask how the CLK and E55 have been?

M
  • park3park3 Member Posts: 1
    What do you think about getting extending warranty on 2002 s430 with about 25000
    miles. Is it worth the money.
  • lmallardlmallard Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    My 2001 S430 is suddenly CORRODING in many spots(door panels, wheel wells and trunk). At 57000 miles, Mcecedes Rep said "too bad" -beyond warranty.
    A 50K warranty of corrosion is way under the 100K of a KIA !! Do they really want me driving this rust bucket around town?
    Ideas, anyone?
    Leo
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    did you purchase the vehicle new from an authorized dealer? If so, they should be willing to go to bat for you with their local reps, since you're their customer! If you are the 2nd or more owner of the car, and purchased it privately or non-CPO, then their rationale is that anything could have happened to that car while under other ownership, and it's "too bad."
  • gleunggleung Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased an used 2001 S class with 36k miles. It's a great car. However, after only about 50 miles on it, I notice that when it gets to about 60/65 mph on the freeway, a constant bumpy vibration starts to occur. I initially thought it was just the rough pavement. But then after a while, I realize that even on newly paved highways, the vibration continues. My question is: is this a common problem with our S-Class owners? Will an rotation/balance of tires solve this problem or is it a more underlaying "design" problem that we all face? Your opinion/experience/suggestion is greatly greatly appreciated. Should I bring the car into the local tire store for a rotation/balance or should I bring this into the dealer and pay them thru my nose... or shall I consider selling the car??? :-(
  • lmallardlmallard Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I am the second owner, with a purchase thru a private agent. While the "too bad" answer is acknowledged, I am more than a bit surprised at the 50K mileage warranty for corrosion. My family's committment to Mercedes is corroding too.
    We've got 3 more (#2 1995 E-class with no corrosion, and a 1987 300-D with a bit of corrosion and 430K miles, so I'm pretty forgiving of that one).
    Several mechanics have looked over this 2001 and all say they have never seen anything like this on a Mercedes. I purchased in November and it showed "perfectly" with 47K mikes. The mechanics looked all over for signs of being "sunk", but none exist. Oh well, I'm biting the bullet and moving on to another vehicle.
    Thanks for the reply.... Leo
  • frlac40frlac40 Member Posts: 3
    I am driving a Nissan Maxima 2000 with my last two payments. The car still a dream without fault of any kind with 47,000 miles. As I am 60 yrs old and never own a Mercedes Benz it was my goal to buy a second hand may be 2001 S430 MB with 38,500 miles for statue and prestige because i will take an early retirement and will not drive much. But after reading a few comments in this forum i am so confused. Please someone reply and tell me should I be happy continue driving my free and clear Maxima or look for a 2001 MB S430 around $34,000.00 and spend time in the service department? Thank you
  • frlac40frlac40 Member Posts: 3
    I will rotate my tire or change the front tires before put anything else in your mind.
    Hello, please be invited to make comments in a forum composed of European flagship sedan owners. Stop by to compare notes and share experiences!

High End European Luxury Cars
  • hilaryhhilaryh Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I purchased a 2000 CPO S430 , 60,000 miles a month ago ( first benz @ 27 years old), since then a new command system has been installed, three days at the shop. Yesterday my STS light was going off and on, today the "brake liner see dealer" light is on. After reading your comments, I am now panic stricken. If I need new brakes and/or pads, shouldn't the dealer have fixed that BEFORE selling me this glam machine, with the big 150 point cpo inspection? I am wondering what they are going to tell me. Should I insist that they foot the bill, being that I have had the car for a month. I am afraid to ask you how much this will be to repair. I think I got a good deal, paid 28k (58,000 miles) CPO warranty one year, however, i am beginning to wonder if these problems are a glimpse of worse to come.
    Please any advice would help me out, I love the car but I am certainly not familiar with the costs of repairs (those not covered under my cpo warranty).
    Well to be brutally honest a 2000 model year S-Class is troublesome car. It was the first year for a totally new and complex Mercedes. I'm not sure what to advise you. Get everything checked out and hope for the best or getout of it now while still under warranty, or sell it the minute the warranty expires.

Yes they should have fixed the brakes as part of the certification process. I'd insist that they pick up the tab.

If "Stroudman" is reading the board he can help you further on this.

M
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Every Mercedes 1st year model is troublesome and the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th, and maybe they'll get right like in the 6th model year of the ML.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Haven't herd Mercedes doing much to promote this new model....It's tempting...I always thought the S back seat was just a bit roomier than I'd ever need-my children are two. But all of the complaints here have turned me a bit cold...I'd love to read a few more posts of owners of the current S-Class who are in bliss over their cars-which is where a $70,000 car should be taking you...anyone?
  • mtraumanmtrauman Member Posts: 6
    I purchased an '01 S500 in Sept. of 2000. I just traded that car for an '06 S500 4-matic. I had 72000 miles on the '01 before trading it. I had no major issues with the car. It was very reliable for me. I can not say the same thing for the 2000 ML320 I currently own. On the ML320, Mercedes replaced the motor under warranty at 37000 miles due to oil consumption. I have owned 5 different Mercedes cars in 10 years. The worst by far has been the ML since it started using just under a quart of oil every 1000 miles. But the '01 S class has been very reliable; however, many people have had electrical problems with the early years of the W220 body style (2000-2006 model year). I hope the 2006 S500 has all the bugs worked out of it since many people seem to have the same problems (Command system, air shock problems, electrical problems,etc.). I thought about waiting for the 2007 (new body style) S Class but with the first model year of any new Mercedes in the past 10 years, Mercedes record of reliability has been very bad. So, I bought the final year S Class hoping the bugs are worked out.

Happy motoring.
  • cedescedes Member Posts: 1
    Have you ever heard of a caddy used to hold the hard top safely during summer months?
  • corblimey2corblimey2 Member Posts: 5
    I have rcently procured a one owner, ( elderly fellow), 99 S420 with 57k miles. Previous owner bouhgt and serviced the car at the MB dealer from where I bought the car.

My question relates to an " extended warranty". Since the car is not new, MB will not provide a MB warranty; they will provide, ( sell) me a warranty thro' a third party. The cost for 36 months/36k miles is $4600.00

From my undersatnding, this is the same as buying a warranty from any number of companies that offer them. Assuming the issuing co is A++ rated as an insurer I think this is ok. The cost for 48 months/48k is $2400.00.

Any thoughts? It would seem to me that since MB are providing a policy via a third party then what is the difference?

Finally, can anyone recommend a company that sells extended warranties.

Thankyou
    This disguised photograph is said to show the soon to be released Mercedes Benz S-Class. The photo appears to be accurate except for the disguise applied around the fender/wheel area. I expect the real thing will be prettier. ;)

Ha ha......

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Are you a current S-Class owner or 7-Series owner who is considering switching to an S-Class for your next purchase? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you about the new version of the S-Class and whether or not you would consider buying it. If you would be interested in speaking with this reporter, please reply to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your name, daytime phone number and the best time to reach you. Please respond by Wednesday, June 29. Thank you.”

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mobydocmobydoc Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem. mine had 32000 miles on it. it is a simple rotation balancing issue. dont worry at all. I have put 17000 miles on mine with no mechanical issues. My problems have been with the cd changer and a jammed ashtray....
  • mobydocmobydoc Member Posts: 6
    this might sound silly but my 2001 S430 has a jammed ashtray. There was nothing in the damn thing so I suspect that the spring might be jammed. I am planning to get a little heavy handed with it using a flat screw driver but fear that I might damage the finish or worse, break the whole thing. Ideas anyone ?
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    Don't use a screwdriver or anything metal, it will damage the wood. Usually what jams them is a business car, parking cards, etc. Use a plastic knife or something like it to carefully
    pry down on it and see if there is something jamming it. You should be able to see what's in there and hopefully retrieve it. Good luck!
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    My friend just picked up a great deal on a 2006 S class. It has the AMG appearance package and his monthly lease cost is $699! It is a 13 month lease. Anyway... would you believe he needs a wheel bearing and transmission control module! I drove the car home and it was really nice! I hope this is not the beginning of a lemon relationship. Time will tell!
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    I saw that deal... it's now $599/month! does anyone know the specific terms of this deal? what's the cap cost and the residual?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I'm looking into buy one of the above vehicles. I know both have had their share of electrical problems but I like the way and the feel of both vehicles. For those of you here, what would probably have less problems and what would you choose? Thanks
  • big_seamusbig_seamus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 S500 whose Command module is defective. The only problems are that the navigator and the clock are not functioning. I was quoted $3200 by the dealership to replace the unit and I believe that there must be a cheaper alternative. Does anyone know of anyone who refurbishes or fixes these units? I am in the Los Angeles area. Thanks!
  • anoopanoop Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2001 S500 AMG Sport...I Fortunately purchased a three year Starmark and it only has 17700 original miles. My issue is this...the stupid EC light keeps coming on and I have had the dealer replace condensor/seals/display control modules.....and am at whits end....has any body else run into this problem...if so, how did you fix it (besides trading the car that is!)
    I need help!!!! I am having recurring A/C problems....EC light keeps coming on andturning compressor off....its holding refrigerant, and have replaced rear seals to compressor, evaporator/condensor/ and face control modules....what else can I do?!?!?! I was fortunate enough to buy the 3year Starmark, but have owned the car for 2 weeks and have only been able to drive the car 3 days.....before telling me to "get used to it"...or....."that's what you get for buying a Benz"...can anyone offer anything constructive or point me in the right direction??

=/
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    What provisions for relief does Starmark offer you? Comparable loaners while they sort it out? The right to return it and cancel the sale? Etc. I would think since is is a CPO Starmark they must have some mechanism to help.
    So far they have been giving me a 2006 C230 Kompressor for a Loaner...and they are diligently TRYING to fix the problem. It has been explained to me that the Starmark that I purchased covers everything....and have provided me broken components that have been replaced(for my viewing only to make sure I was not being gaffed). I don't know how far the Starmark Warranty goes...would they replace a used certified car under the Warranty??...Does anyone know?
    The problem was fixed and the car is running beautifully.....I love the adjustments for the suspension and am awaiting new seat rails and the car will be puuuurfect. I had my car clayed and waxed and it is every bit what I hoped for....true class. I hear everyone complaining about this car and hope to never run into those problems. These posts that I have read have been very helpfull and I hope you all get your problems resolved....happy driving for me!!!
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    There is a bulletin that addresses this, and it is just a simple programming change.
  • jmagyerjmagyer Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1993 MB 300SE for around $8,000. I'm a young investment banker who doesn't have a lot of money to throw around, but would like a car that is presentable and somewhat conmfortable. The car sounds like it is in pretty good shape, though, I have not checked it out in person. It has 115,000 miles on it and is fully loaded. I don't plan on putting more than 15,000 or so miles on it each year. I have not run CarFax on the VIN yet or had a mechanic look at it, but would do so before making the purchase. Do any of you have any suggestions for me regarding this particular year and/or model? Thanks very much.

Joe
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Check the maintenance costs at a dealer. Are you sure you can afford to keep the car running?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter for an influential U.S. publication is working on a piece about Mercedes and would like to hear from consumers. He’s wondering whether the recent quality problems are enough to stop consumers from buying Mercedes in the future. He also cites that Mercedes says it has worked hard to fix the various problems and is producing the best quality cars ever. He’d especially appreciated hearing from any long-time Mercedes drivers around who agree or disagree. If you have a story to share, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime and evening contact info., city/state of residence and what models of Mercedes you own/have owned, no later than Weds., Sept. 28, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.