Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• tempokingtempoking Member Posts: 1
    I hate to give advice on used cars but I love the looks of the MB S class and I will say that you are right for wanting one, thats A LOT of car for very little money and 100.000 miles means nothing, so congruts for having a crystal clear idea for what you want. Did you think thats it..?..he he he. Now is time for you to decide.."to buy or not to buy"...You know I hope, that this particular model ('90s 300SE) had four ( 4..? ) Official factory recalls. That 8.000 is too much..? About service, As long as you will use Jiffy Lube, Mineeke, Sears and Mr. Tony down the street for servicing all is fine, dont you dare go to an official MB-service, they see nice guys like you coming from a mile away of course they will FIX EVERYTHING next to perfection BUT PREPARE TO BE POOR or better word PENNILESS for a long time. Before you buy, pay 100 to an honest guy near your home and have the car inspected with the same dynamics as both Katrina and Rita produced.
  • caldwell1caldwell1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,
    Glad to find the forum, so here is my newbie post.
    I am considering a 2001 s430. The MB has 45k miles and is listed at $24990.00.
    Fair price? It seemed so to me but I am looking for a few real world examples of repairs, pitfalls, etc. I located one post indicating the instrument cluster is known for dropping dead on the job.
    Can anyone share some feedback around the total cost of ownership?

TIA-

MC
  • scapescape Member Posts: 1
    I just learned that I have a similar A/C problem with my 2000 S430. Apparently the refrigerant is leaking from the evaporator which means the dash needs to be removed to repair this issue. Unfortunaetly for me, my Starmark warranty ran out 3 months ago. Needless to say, it's very expensive and I'm talking to the dealership/Mercedes to get some help with this matter. Can you share any ideas that you may have received through your own experience??
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Benz S-Class in NHTSA Study

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation into recent versions of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class for a potential problem with the vehicle's gauges, according to the Associated Press. NHTSA has received seven complaints about speedometers and fuel gauges that failed to light on the 2000 and 2001 model-year vehicles. Seventy-two thousand S-Classes are being investigated for the problem, which could become a full recall if the agency determines the problem to be a flaw in the vehicle's design.
  • 500slover500slover Member Posts: 1
    After reading through many of these comments, why is Mercedes still in business, and where do they get their reputation for quality? Certainly not from the owners. I was planning to buy a 560SL(as new), but that doesnt seem to mean much either. Is there any certain year or model or both, mercedes that one should even consider purchasing? I hear same complaints about BMW, rolls jaguar etc., and yet they seem to be able to find buyers for these higly expensive to buy cars. Anyone shed light for me>
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    500slover, come on over to the "High End Luxury Marques" forum (under Sedans) and you can join the neverending discussion of this issue. Sounds like you'll enjoy the debate.

The fact is Mercedes makes (1) great looking, (2) great handling cars that used to be (3) "built like tanks". They still succeed on (1) and (2), but have totally fallen down in point (3). For some people, 2 out of 3 is still good enough; for others, they hadn't heard the news on MB's reliability problems until after they plunked down their $70K+ and learned for themselves.

If you've got time to burn and like the coffee, perhaps you won't mind the time spent dealing with the dealer's service department. Even better, if you can have your personal assistant deal with the service department for you while you ride in one of your other fine autos, who cares about reliability?

Personally, my time is my most precious commodity, so I had to pass on the S last year when I was in the market (I still own 2 older MBs), and went with a Lexus LS430. It's a great car that I am enjoying a lot, but I would have rather gone with an S if it was even reasonably reliable. But selecting any one of even all these great and expensive cars involves compromises in some regard or other. It just comes down to how you order your own priorities between styling, handling, gadgets, brand prestige, dealer experience and reliability.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • benlaibenlai Member Posts: 1
    5 days ago, I started to feel that 2 areas on the cushion were sticking up from the bottom and poking my butt!!! I could feel the protruding material (probably steel) by pressing on the cushion by my thumb. It seems like the cushion is thinning and that should not happen coz my S430 is only 4 years old and has 44000 miles on it. What should I do? Can someone enlighten me?
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I was just reading about the LA auto show and the S would cost between eighty six thousand or so...How does that compare with the accessories etc that were in the previous model??...Also how much does the radar system cost that will completely stop the car? I look forward to seeing one Tony
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well the new S550 has been officially priced at $86,175, which is little cheaper than the outgoing S500. However I expect the options list to be just as, if not more expensive as before. The S600 curiously this time around has no options, everything is now standard. The S550 in both MT and C&D this month (Feb) appeared to have everything including the fancy cruise control and Night View, both were over 100K.

The S450 should be shown at Detroit and price a little below the outgoing S430, which is priced at $78,025.

M
    I wonder about the `night view` as it would be difficult to see it and drive at the same time..I remember gm projected the view onto the windshield and thought that was probably a good idea...With the a8 pop up screen you would be able to monitor it fairly easily, but with the bmw setup it would be difficult....The radar cruise control put the breaks on fairly agrssively in the a8 and further puts them on more if I don`t respond, but I think I would be hard pressed to just leave things alone with the car about to hit an object....It probably works well, but we`l see. Tony ps with the cost of repairs what they are, money seems to be no problem with the high end manufacturers
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Will the S450 be long wheel base? Approximate horse power? Same standard equipment as S550?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Will the S450 be long wheel base?

I don't expect any of the new S-class models sold in USA to be short-wheelbase models, in deference to Mercedes-Benz selling this car as a top-line luxury model.
    All 2007 S-Class models will be long-wheelbase models.

The S450 is pegged at 335hp. I would expect it to be priced around the current S430 - 78K. Slightly less standard equipment than the S550.

Surprisingly the S600 for 2007 will have NO options. Everything is standard, as well it should be for a projected 130K.

M
    I surely agree about the no additional additions, and think that the manufacturers could benefit themselves by selling their luxury cars pretty much fully equipped....Maybe charge extra for things like a refrigerator that would not detract from what they advertised....I know on my car the a8 that just the radar cruise control, and cooled leather seats cost an extra five thousand or so..I think they should have been standard....Tony
    Well maybe for a top of the line model like the S600 sure, but I'm not certain that should be the case on a car like the S450 or S550. Some people don't want all that complex stuff, they just want the basics with the options of their choice.

M
    It just depends on the overall cost...I think the 550 should come very fully equipped and that would then let a person get the 450 and pay for the extras...I guess I am just behind the times, but I don`t like to go in and expect to get a nice car and then have to spend fifteen thousand more for what I thought I was getting to begin with..

On an interesting note, down here in s Florida, you get to see all the big exotic cars up close and personal...Today there was a new RR waiting to be parked...Man I tell you that is a big car..Standing beside it it looked almost six feet tall, and had an elegance that is not easily explained//I have always sort of thought that it would have to be chauffered(sp) but on really thinking about it,I imagine a person would be ok driving it in person...I just can`t get comfortable with the immage personally, but it does speak volumes just sitting there..I guess England and the country estates...and the wealth that England had (and still does) back in the last century...Some of the Mercedes models ( I think 800) also had great presence in the eighties, but the Mayback just does not fill those shoes...It is fun to observe the owners of the RR that park in this building....The ones that are car people park in the middle of two spaces and cover their cars up, or further don`t pull all the way into the space leaving three feet of room all around....The others just sort of abandon the car where ever it is concenient...After having the tire tread do the damage it did to my car, just think what it would cost if the mighty RR had to contend with that repair?? There are plenty of them where I am going on Monday. I`l ask ...Tony
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    As I make a rare appearance in your neck of the woods as a tourist, if you will, I was hoping to get your thoughts on the State-of-The-Union, now that a new Lexus LS460L is on the scene (this Fall).

Standing at 121" in long-wheelbase, an S550-haunting 380HP, combined EPA in the mid 20's, an 8-speed Slushbox, Maybach-ish rear seats, suave styling, plus a guesstimated price to start in the low $60's, how does this affect interest in the recent S-Class and 750iL (which lacks it's sheer power, among other "Tings")?

Is this The End? Or a new Beginning?

DrFill
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Merc's too busy researching how why the new LS didn't slap on oversized wheel arches from a 30K Japanese sports car to use in it's flagship like Benzo did. All's I can predict is be afraid very afraid on this one.
    Better than the still conservative LS460, in the front.
    Except the headlights look very Honda Accord triangular from some angles.

But the New LS has much better balance, and gets better as you go bow-to-stern.

The 550's rear end is a swing and a miss, doh. The taillights are particularly off-putting.

C&D said it sure drove sweet, doh. :)

DrFill
    We'll see how it all shapes it. The tech I'm reading about now is pretty impressive, however the design still looks like an overfed Toyota to me. Something was clearly lost from concept to production. It even looks like a bigger GS from same angles, not good at all.

The S-Class and everyone else will be affected, but the S is new also and that always plays in its favor no matter what anyone else does.

M
    A paragraph laced with back-handed compliments, or just a matter of contempt fighting respect.

In the C-pillar, there is a hint of the GS, from the front quarter, but that also ties it in with the other designs, as was intended.

So are you deriding it as derivitive of Toyotas, not derivitive of Mercedes?

And, let's get it on the record, that you swear that the S550 is MUCH prettier than the new LS. That the LS is still light years behind. I shouldn't even ask.

And derivitive. Of something. Not evolutionary, much less a breakthrough.

Oh, and when has the S-Class officially gone on sale?

DrFill
    A paragraph laced with back-handed compliments, or just a matter of contempt fighting respect.

If you're confused about that then I have mastered you style of post! ;)

Kidding.

Seriously no I wouldn't say the LS is that far behind the S. As you know the current S has wheels arches that bother me, but I do like the car. Next weekend I'll get a chance to see it up close and personal. A rainy night looking the dealer's S550 (in near pitch darkness) a week or so ago didn't give enough of a look. I'll give you that the S might need its optional AMG package to really put some distance between it and the new LS compared to the old S. All the old had to do was show up and the LS was finished style wise.

To me the new LS just lost something from the original concept. It still has that overfed Toyota look to it, and its kinda slabsided too. The LS460L's proportions are off too. It isn't really evolutionary of the previous LS which didn't look half as good as this one, but it isn't even close to be revolutionary either.

I suspect the A8 will wear the styling crown for this generation of high-end luxury sedans. Details next week.

2007 S goes on sale in Feb.

M
    The S550's humps could EASILY kill a potential purchase. Ditto the 7-esque dash treatment. Might you say "derivitive"?

Would you consider the humps "bold", or just a glaring mistake?

I don't get the proportional comment. The grill/fascia/hood are sleek, yet properly domed, and definitely convey a flagship, V8 image. Conservative, but progressive. Good size and is squared off, conveying strength and durability.

The depth of the hood and trunk lid balance nicely, to my eyes, letting us know the 20 cube trunk from before has not been forgotten.

The chrome detailing in the C-Pillar is strong, sharp, and novel. The chrome along the rocker/doors is a familial Lexus element that does keep it from being "Slab-sided", as you say. More successful than "Humps", no?

And the decklid has more style than any German, save maybe the A8. The exhaust-thru-bumper is a total winner. Pure concept. Pimpin'! ;)

I liked the A8 a lot more before the new Corp. Grille.

And even the wheel design is bold.

Better-looking than a 750? You'll give me that much.

Let's put it this way. There are no smiles in Stuttgard (sic). And the best is yet to come (pricing, Hybrid, new technologies)

DrFill
    Well anything that a buyer doesn't like could be a killer.

I don't see the wheel arches as being a mistake just yet, but they are bold. The market will determine if they are a mistake. I suspect people that really like the car in other aspects won't care. I mean afterall people buy cars from other brand that have looked a lot worse in the past. The AMG packages is a exact fit for the wheel arches from what I've seen.

To me the LS460L looks long and unbalanced to say the least, but that is just in pics. It really doesn't look like much to me. I find the spec more impressive.

No smiles in Germany, well I seriously doubt they're worried about it over there since it won't sell in any numbers even close to the S-Class in Germany/Europe. Until Lexus offers a diesel they aren't going to crack Europe with a large car. Now the MB folk in Jersey might not like what they see as far as specs and potential prices, but then again none of the European/American luxury car execs would.

M
    1. Stabilize the Home market. Done.

2. Take over America. Done.

3. Grab a foothold in China. Done in 3 years.

4. If you have time, get some love in Europe. 5-10 years.

Lexus knows Europe's a long shot, so when it's time to get paid, come here. We luv ya!

And they luv us back. It's a beautiful thang! ;)

DrFill
    I just realized that the LS460 looks very similar to the 2007 Camry, any thoughts on this?

M
    Why don't we invite callmedrfill to weigh in on that question over in the High End Luxury Marques discussion rather than getting too mired in a Lexus conversation here in the S-Class discussion. ;)
    Preliminary ordering guide for the S550 - Here

At the time this was issued there were three option packages, P1,P2 and P3. Depening on the prices this may really work out for folks that don't want all the high-end toys. The pricing of these packages will be the key. C&D has a test of the S550 in their Feb 2006 with the option prices I believe.

M
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Does somebody has reasons to believe that the 1999 Mercedes S320 would be a decent reliability car ?

I am very concerned about the 2000-2005 reliability record, and wonder if the previous model (1999) was a simpler, so more reliable car.

Thanks
    That is a nice gesture to show the coming prices...I agree that the prices that they charge will be the key...As I wrote previously I personally don`t care to go into buy a car and then have so many extra selections....I am sure the companies do this to adjust their prices when the dollar rises and falls, but I think a car in theis league should come with almost everything in the asking price, with maybe just a few added choices...Again I would want to get the night vision, and radar controlled cruis control, and would be turned off at what I think they are going to charge. Tony
  • durezdurez Member Posts: 1
    Hello to all, I have developed a love for the S-Class Mercedes Benz (1997-1999). I have never owned one and would like to know what to look for, and what to stay away from, in my search.

Thanks,

HDY
    After reading you fabulous post about the show in Detroit, I was wondering is you found the arches to your ...liking... You mentioned they wern`t as large in person, but failed to put your mark of approval, or just so so...Did you really like the Imperial concept?and it`s inside refinements? Tony
    Well the S-Class wheel arches aren't as bad as I thought. The arches themselves I'm still not crazy about, but the car itself gets my approval though it isn't as "pretty" as the 2000-2006 model. However the AMG package changes things it puts the new S-Class over the top for me. Stunningly aggressive and sculpted to me. If I were getting one I'd want the AMG treatment.

Yes I like the Imperial concept. Big and bold, a total American throwback. Loved it inside and out.

M
    Have a look at what the editors think about the new S550: Full Test: 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 - The new benchmark.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    When did they add Fourmatic as an option?

I see '02 S Classes now down to 40K asking with a lower final net sale price. By now will the problems have been worked out under warranty, or could an '02 still be warranty problem on wheels?
    4Matic was added for the 2003 model year.

I'd get a 2003 or better, a 2002 model would be before the facelift.

M
  • starman1starman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello forum,
    I just discovered this site and have enjoyed it immensely, particularly about the new S-class issues. I won't even consider purchasing one of those, now. I owned a 1982 300SD for 16 years, and enjoyed it quite a bit, except for the noise. It was a very reliable and economical car (for a car of that size). I then traded it for a 500SL and drove it for 4 years until I decided I missed a back seat. After a year of BMW 540i, (big mistake), I currently drive an Audi A6, which I believe is equal in quality to about anything on the road right now, especially the seats!!! I miss the Mercedes presence, however, and was wondering about all the comments regarding maintenance of the W140 series, S420, either a 98 or 99 model. I am strongly leaning towards buying one, with no more than 70K miles. What can I expect as far as costs and maintenance of this car versus the 500sl. Are they comparable? I am assuming they are, but I don't know if there are additional things about the S420 that would be necessary. Quite a few people have stated the 140 series is a wonderful car, if you can afford to keep it running. I am a big believer in preventative maintenance, but I don't go overboard. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Dale
  • krumpitzkrumpitz Member Posts: 4
    Hey L8_Apex,

I couldn't exactly find the right thread to post this question (so perhaps you'll move it to the right one), but I was wondering if you had any experience with LeaseWizard software and what you thought about it. (www.leasewizard.com)

Krump
    Hi Krump, welcome!

I'm not personally familiar with that site/software, but I can guarantee you that between the information on the Edmunds main site and the discussions here in Edmunds' Forums, we can provide the same information for you - all for only the price of your membership. Which you've already paid. :P

I see you have found a couple of our Lease Questions discussions for a couple different vehicles. Are you also interested in the S-Class? If so, try here: Mercedes-Benz S-Class: Lease Questions.

We don't really have a totally generic leasing issues discussion at the moment, but you could try Leasing vs. Purchasing if that's the type of discussion you're trying to find.

But I really think your best bet is to ask what you need to know in an appropriate Lease Questions discussion. You can look them up with the Make/Model dropdown on the left side of the page.

Hope this helps!
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    3,360 units

Plenty of delivered pre-orders in thur. :)

They can sell 25k plus for the first time in a long time! :surprise:

I guess we like "My Humps"!

DrFill
  • krumpitzkrumpitz Member Posts: 4
    Wow...that sounded more like a sales pitch than a thoughtful response. I read over the LeaseWizard.com site and there is nothing on Edmunds that compares actually to the software.

I was hoping that you would have used it and perhaps reviewed it as a legitmate consumer aid. I love the breadth of Edmunds, but thinking that Edmunds has ALL the answers is naive.
    Regardless of whether it seems like a "sales pitch", it is true that we have tons of leasing resources that are available to you for no charge whatsoever. Car_man and kyfdx, hosts of the Prices & Leasing Questions board, can be much more help to you in that department than can I. The Leasing Tips page is very helpful as well. Good luck with your search.
  • mcaleermcaleer Member Posts: 11
    My 2003 S430 has the Motorola cellphone that is integral to the Command System but can be removed and used when I'm not in the car. I visited the dealer yesterday and was told that the cellphone is not removable from the car. I was hoping to have the Bluetooth system like the Lexus where you can use a number of different phones though the communications system in the car. Did the sales guy I talked to yesterday know what he was talking about? What's the sense in having Bluetooth if the phone is fixed?
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    I just picked up a new S350 with Keyless Go, Elec Trunk Opener, and CD changer for $53,500. Anyone else out there buying the leftover '06's?
  • pennylupennylu Member Posts: 1
    i'm not sure exactly where to find this.
    i'm purchasing a '57 220S and in order to tow it i need the approx. weight.
    if anybody has any idea, please let me know :confuse:
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I had a '59 220se. It's going to be a little less than 3000 lbs.
  • mobydocmobydoc Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the advice. You were absolutely right. It was a stuck parking card.
  • mobydocmobydoc Member Posts: 6
    I have put 54K miles on my 01 S430 and have had NO major issues . Contrary to a lot of bad things you hear about the airmatic suspension and so forth, I guess I got lucky. My question to other owners is that have you all been happy with your vehicles or are there any regrets ? There is a similar vehicle listed on Ebay these days with 240 K miles which makes me hope that this baby has a long time to go. By the way does any body have any recommendations on how to deal with a small (1 cm) nick on the inside panel of the drivers door handle ( I think it is plastic). It is a minor cosmetic issue which is hard to see. Am I better off just leaving it alone ?.
    What major maintainance would you all do at 60 K mileage ?
This discussion has been closed.