Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Hey, I'm new here. My wife and I were about to buy an Audi A8, custom, from the local dealership. However, that deal fell through when we decided we wanted a new house, lol.

So, I think that next year, when we're all settled in and I'm used to the higher payments, she'll get a new car. We're thinking about an S550 4Matic, probably used, because I think we could pick up a great deal on that.

1. I'd like to know about personal experiences with S550 4Matics. Does anybody here own one, and does it drive like such a big car? We haven't driven it yet, but I'm wondering whether it's too big- she's coming out of an RX330, and wants an upscale sedan.

2. Reliability problems. I don't care if it has 4Matic or not, but S550 owners, how has it been? All the brilliant electronics, have they failed? I love the car, but this is one of my biggest fears for her, because she's had a perfect Lexus experience.

Thanks.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    Hey, This isnt a reply but Id like to get some info out to the people in this forum. If you are interested in a Mercedes, whatever class, you should most definately take a look at tuner options. I know what everyone is thinking, the tuner population is simply a bunch of "Fast and the Furious" car freaks who have NO taste and even less refinement. Well for the most part, you're right, but there are credible tuners out there especially for Mercedes.

I know because I own a high-end luxury tuner shop that specializes in Mercedes-Benz, and I also own a Mercedes-Benz CL Structural certified collision center. Now this message is more for the AMG buyers out there but everyone can benefit. A comparision was done a few months ago on a SLK, what is the difference in: Price, Reliability, Performance, and Customer Satisfaction. The magazine bought a stock SLK 55 and then bought a stock SLK 350. They completely customized the interior of the 350, new seat leathers w/ alcantara inserts, pedals, carbon fiber trim and roll bars, etc. They also tuned the 350, the end result was about 30hp less than the stock CLK55.

The point is that anyone can buy a SLK 55, but if you would buy the SLK 350 and customize it, you would have a One of a Kind. The SLK 350 was customized from top to bottom and the end price was pratically the same. And the same goes for all of the Mercedes-Benz line. because I cant think of anything better than getting a brand new car and putting my tastes, my opinions, my passion into the car making it exactly what I want. So keep an open mind out there and look at all of your options.

And by the way, I know that Mercedes-Benz doesnt educate buyers but please let me give everyone some advice on accidents. If you wreck your Mercedes, ALWAYS take it to a Mercedes-Benz certified collision center. Your warranty could be voided if you dont and even worse, someone could lose their life.

Mercedes recently wrecked 2 W221 S classes, and fixed one the correct way and one the incorrect way. On the incorrectly fixed car they spot-welded the frame together and added a bead weld on each side to make it stronger, unfortunately when they re-crashed the car the frame rail was more rigid so it deployed the driver airbag 3 mili-seconds early. In 3 mili-seconds the airbag deployed and deflated, the dummy hit the steering wheel and was killed. Please dont let this happen to you, get educated go to WWW.MBUSA.COM and get the info you need. Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome! Good post, thanks. :)
    And you didn't welcome me?

Well, I never!

;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • esuommesuomm Member Posts: 19
    Long & short to date: Got car and i pointed out that it had an engine squeak, they said they would fix and to just bring it back, (Long Beach Mercedes Benz), they replaced ABC/Pwr Steering, A/C Compressor, some bearing, some clips and a pulley, now they tell me the squeak is normal. Nice. Seems like a no brainer for MBZ to give me my money back becuase I didn't want the car with the engine squeak and now they tell me it's normal. I hate bringing lawyers into it but it seems it's the only way to get someting fair done these days.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    What exactly do you mean by an engine "squeak"? Something up startup, idle or when going down the road?

M
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome, welcome, WELCOME!

Welcome everyone!! :shades:
    Long Beach MBZ tells me it's normal and coming from the ABC pump (note all that they replaced to repair something that's normal). You don't hear it from inside the car, but you hear it shortly after the car starts and at idle when your outside of it. If you pull up next to a car or are in a parking garage and have your window open you can hear it, or when the valet brings the car up you hear, it, etc. It's a squeak that keeps pace with the RPMs of the car.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ..... You don't hear it from inside the car, but you hear it shortly after the car starts and at idle when your outside of it. If you pull up next to a car or are in a parking garage and have your window open you can hear it, or when the valet brings the car up you hear, it, etc. It's a squeak that keeps pace with the RPMs of the car.

Granted a car of the S-Class' stature and price point shouldn't have any "squeaks" but lawyers function on a plaintiff's alleged damages and I'm not sure that this constitutes damages.(?)
    Hi you might want to check the turbo's clutch. The 2006 AMG and V12 cars have had a some extensive noise problems out of the turbo/supercharger clutch, they seem to make a bit of noise before you get hard into the throttle but ive also heard people complaining about them at low rpms. You might want to get the Merc dealer to check it out.
    Thanks everyone for the welcome.
    Interesting, I haven't heard anyone mention a problem like that (or any problems really) with the 07 S-Class, but then again most owners are S550 owners, not S600.

Definitely not normal, that is BS. Would you take another S600 if they offered to replace yours for nothing out of pocket?

M
    Damages if I want to sue for damages, which I don't want to. I am only asking to return the car because they said the squeak wasn't normal when i mentioned it to them and they would fix it, they tried to fix (new abc/pwr steering pump, new AC compressor, new pulley and bearing to date) but now say it's normal. Lemon law speaks to substantial impairment which, arguable, a squeak doesn't meet, but for $150K, the car should be "whisper quiet" per me and the dealer and the squeak is definitely not normal. I am going after them based on fraud and negligent repair. What's really got me going is that they just blow it off by saying the squeak which is still there is now normal because they cannot fix it, but if it's normal, what were they trying to fix? We'll see.
    Thanks for the turbo info. Long Beach tells me they've narrowed it down to the Active Body Control Pump, which they have replaced once before, and that it is working fine. I will end up taking it to another dealer for repair to see if dif mechanic can get it fixed.
    And if I remember, most 550's don't have the ABC option, which the dealer tells me is making the noise. I am not getting into it but LB MBZ has handled this and the repairs so poorly I am really turned off to MBZ right now and that's impacting my decision to not want to try another S600 in my car's place. Problem is, what car do you get in it's place? Bentley a bit over the top, Lexus is good but not as powerful or heavy, maybe a BMW 7 or M5. I am at a loss to find a suitable replacement. Good thing is that the way the dealer is working and how slow the lawyers are, 30 - 45 days, I have time to choose a new model or make.
    Yeah a S600 replacement is going to be a hard one. There is the 760Li, A8L W12, S8, etc. etc. all similar or roughly in the same league. Then there is the Lexus LS600hL and maybe the Jaguar XJ8L Portfolio.

Does the dealer have another S600 on the lot for you to try out to see if it has the same squeak?

M
    Good list of cars, thanks. They might have another and they told me that, after doing all the repairs to mine, they fired a couple up and they produced the same noise. There's a couple others here at work and if I see teh people by their car I might try to ask if their cars make the same noise. Thanks again, J
    I am still waiting on any advice on the S550, or, more specifically the S550 4Matic.

I love the car, from its stunning exterior design to its world-beating engineering.

But I have a feeling, besides the steep price (I want to buy used, anyway), that there's a cost under all that goodness. Has anyone had serious problems with their S550, 4Matic or not?

• trclearytrcleary Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 MB S500 and am overwhelmed with the controls and this NAVI system. My wife would say I am technologically challenged, so HELP! I spent 20 mins in the driveway trying to figure it out with the guide, but the NAVI thinks the car is somewhere in the Atlantic (I live in Tampa)

Any quick tips on learning this bad boy? It is my first MB but I got rid of a Lexus LS 400 and moved up. After one day I love it. What a ride! Any tips?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Know what you mean. When I got my 2005 E320CDI I spent half a day in my driveway finding out what I had as it is loaded with every option.

First find out what type of Nav system you have. Older models had CD system and from 2003 on now have DVD. CD systems require large number of CD's to cover the country. It may be that you do not have the correct CD for your area. DVD system covers US & Canada with 1 Disk.

Finally read your books from cover to cover--probably several hundred pages. You can also call MB--number should be include with your books and they will walk you through.

Good luck. Welcome to MB.
  • trclearytrcleary Member Posts: 2
    I am reading the manuals, but Jesus, they are long. My car is apparently located 200 miles in the ocean off Palm Beach (according to the NAVI). I tried to calibrate while driving and it wanted to know the freaking tires I had on the car - OUCH! No luck for me. I will plod on and succeed.

I have the CD type as my car is 2000. It was a great ride today for 250 miles. No kidding, a great ride. But I can not work half of the stuff it came with. Oh well, positive problem. I am going to go back tot he guys who sold me the car (Genuine Motorcars in St. Pete Fla) who have been AWESOME and get their advice.

Again, positive problem!
  • deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Greetings: Just had it painted,now the alarm goes off when I unlock drivers door. The trunk and pass. door ok to unlock-no alarm goes off. What do you think it may be ???.
    Should take it back to painter OR should I look ???

Charlie
    hey, if the alarm worked before you had it painted then you should take it back to the painter. It may be a wear/tear problem but you should have them look at it because it could have been something they did when they had the car. Chances are that it is something minor but you never know.
  • deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    benztuner: Tks for the comeback..I plan to do just that, but was tempted to pull the panel off to see is I could see a wire loose or ???

Deadeye
  • henrlimhenrlim Member Posts: 7
    Help!!!! :blush:
    My sister just purchased a very well kept 1997 Mercedes S 320.
    Can anyone tell me which tire would have the best grip and quietness to suit this car?
    Michelans are what Mercedes-Benz recommends. Michelan actually makes tires especially for Mercedes-Benz vehicles, the tires are made to reduce noise, increase tread mileage, increase fuel mileage, etc. I know the Michelans are more expensive but they are the better tires. You might want to check with your local Mercedes-Benz dealership for tires, or a local Michelan dealer. By the way, if she wants some Lorinser 17" RS90 wheels, ive got a set.
  • ejc63ejc63 Member Posts: 2
    The more things change the more they stay the same. I have had three MB. 2001 S500, 02 S500 that I got when I had to take the 01 back due to many defects, and an 03 SL500 which I have since sold. I still have the 02 s500 and it's a great car. I bought them all new and they all had these "glitches". I have said before and I will say again, it seems, to me at least, that the more one spends on expensive vehicles these days, the more 'glitches' they encounter. My wife drives an 02 Lexus gs300 that we also purchased brand new. Other than routine maintenance she has never had an issue with the car. I on the other hand should have an office at the service department at MB because I have been there so much. Over time though the 02 S500 I still have has "settled" I guess. I have 92k miles on it and it still rides like a dream. I changed the tiresand wheels. I have the 02 sports package but got tired of buying tires every year so I changed out the wheels and went to discounttiredirect.com where I now purchase all my tires for a fraction of what dealers charge. Same tires, lower price. Since I have done that I can now rotate my tires which has substantially added to the life of the tires. I was considering buying a new 07 S class but this time had the foresight of reading these boards before I go to my super friendly dealer.. lol. Well I guess I will just keep my current one now that it's settled in and the kinks are gone. I just dont have time to be at the dealer every other month like I used to be in days gone by. Good luck to all you new owners....:)
    Im putting a BRABUS kit on a new W216 CL, and it had Continental tires on it, so I guess it is just a matter of opinion and cost.
  • henrlimhenrlim Member Posts: 7
    I am quite surprised at the issues you had with your Mercedes car. I just saw the latest released S- class and think it looked fabulous. Just as I thought only the BMW has the upper hand in styling department currently...looks like BMW's designer Chris Bangle will have a headache beating the latest S-class.
    The Lexus has never been top notched in roadhandling and also in resale value. In fact a lot of Asians that I know refer Lexus as a poor man's Mercedes Benz.

So far among my small circle of friends who owned a Mercedes, not one had any major complaints. In fact, a lot of wives complaint that their husbands took better care of their car than themselves.

A senior manager who bought the latest BMW 530 also did the same (takes care of his car better than his wife) had spent quite a good amount of time at the service center fixing the computer-sync glitches.

So I guess maybe the more hi-tech a car is, the greater the possibilities of things going wrong. :sick:

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO ALL MY CHINESE PALS! MAY YOU BUY MORE MERCEDES BENZ !
  • ejc63ejc63 Member Posts: 2
    Well I can understand the wives complaining. When I bought my first MB I stayed up til 4 am just running back to the garage to make sure I wasnt dreaming. If your friends are like me, most have dreamed of owning a MB since they were teens. I remember being 19 and in college. There was a MB dealership not far from where I lived. I drove a Plymouth Champ (Dodge Colt) and would go by the dealership at night after they closed and "lay hands" on a car and pray that God would give me one in my lifetime.. lol. Naive and young, but hey it must have worked, I've owned 3 so far.. lol. ( Don't worry I won't pass around an offering plate..lol). All the problems I had with the previous vehicles were electrical and more often had to do with either some sensor going bad or something like that. I know that in 00-01 MB had different vendors and suppliers than they do now so it is possible that they have improved things quite a bit. I know they cant rest on their laurels because Lexus is now the number one selling luxo-boat. MB has a great history and makes probably the most asthetically pleasing vehicle on the planet at any price, but they also understand that if they sacrifice quality for profit, they will go the way of Oldsmobile, the latest of former automotive giants to be sent to the autodealers in the sky!!
  • detroitlionsdetroitlions Member Posts: 21
    i bought a2003 s-class about a year ago with 38,000 miles on it is my first experience with a mercedes benz ever. i can safely say i would buy another in the future, although i've had an odd thing happen with my gearshift it wont move out of park only if i jimmy it for about 3-5 minutes can anyone shed some light so many saftey features ..am i missing something??
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    A crazy thought re the shifter... are you putting your foot on the brake? Need to do this to release the gear shifter out of park.
  • detroitlionsdetroitlions Member Posts: 21
    indeed after i buckle and depress brake pedal i try and shift to no avail til about 2-3 minutes ..thanks for youre response though ejerod.
    You guys keep overlooking my comments, but I'm replying to my own anyway.

Now, priorities have switched. We're still going to get a new house in April and the new car (for the wife) won't come until early next year. However, our son has convinced us that we should look into leasing again. Believe me- he knows at least as much as I do about cars on the market, although he has a limited mechanical knowledge.

He has said that, instead of buying a used S550 4Matic (which would be terribly hard to find in my wife's specific colors), we should go back to leasing. I feel there's a little stigma there, because I tried to dump leasing when I got rid of my '00 A6 2.7T. Right now, I own all four of our cars. I see his point, though. I built an S550 4Matic online. With the Premium I Package, Rear Seat Package (unnecessary but awesome- we'd like heated rear seats), power trunk and backup camera (as well as the no-cost five-spoke 18s), the car comes out to a whopping $96K. Nevertheless, if we got $20-25K on the RX330 and I payed $3-8K down, it would cost about $794/mo on a 39mo lease. That's assuming we get 4.0% interest, as well as 12K miles per year. My credit rating is excellent.

I would consider this to be a relatively good deal, especially when I pay a bit over $1,000 a month for my car. Remember, though, I own it. Is it truly a good deal, or should I look elsewhere for her car?

I do love the S550. It's the ultimate sedan, and I wouldn't mind taking it to work once or twice a week. It's mutual- she loves driving the S4. Especially in the summer ;)

I still have one question left. I'm not familiar with the MB custom delivery program, and would I be able to lease a car that I custom-ordered from the factory. Hers would have the specific options I mentioned, and she has equally specific colors. She needs a beige interior, and she'd love to have either Pewter or Mercedes's dark green on the exterior.

Thanks.

Hey, I am in NC, but I am pretty sure this information is accurate. I own a MB Certified Collision center and tuner shop, a customer of mine wanted a S600 with very specific options so I set him up with the local MB GM. A few days later, he told me that they were looking for cars with most of the options he wanted because Mercedes-Benz has indefinately suspended the custom build option for the S class. Apparently MB has taken too many "build your own" orders for the S class and is having trouble building the orders they already have. You should check with your local dealer first to make sure this info is accurate, but like I said he has no reason to lie. Also you might want to figure out exactly what options you want and take the list to the dealership. The dealership can do a national search for the these options and should be able to find a car with a majority of the options you want.
    Thank you so much for your help, but I'm not taking action immediately, because we're not getting a new car until early next year! :(

Hopefully, the indefinite suspension of the built-to-order option will end by then.

The thing is, she also wants exact colors for her car. I don't think it would be hard to find a Pewter/beige S550 with her options, but a 4Matic... hmm...

We'd want Premium Pkg I, Rear Seat Pkg, "Dynamic Rear View Monitor" and the electric trunk, as well as the no-cost 18" five-spoke rims.

I think we'd have to custom-order it for those...

If you're looking at a 4 matic car you might want to try the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in and around New York and New Jersey area. There happen to be a lot of wealthy people in these areas and due to the bad winters they have most of the Mercedes' you see in these areas are 4matics. These dealerships also are allotted more 4matic models because of their popularity in the area. I have only seen a couple of the Pewter S class cars in Charlotte, and Ive seen even less 4Matic models but there is little demand for a 4Matic car here. Also the options you listed are pretty common among the S class cars, however I think you might run into a problem with the rear seat package but if you start looking now and give it some time you should be able to find something very similar if not exactly like what she wants, and lets be honest if she's happy everybody's happy, right? If you like the S4 then you've obviously got a interest in sweet cars, if you want to see something really nasty check out my album in particular the BRABUS CL. You should look into purchasing a tuner aerodynamic kit for the car, such as BRABUS, Carlsson, Kleemann, ART Tuning etc. Well good luck with the buy.
    Thanks. I love Carlsson, Lorinser, BRABUS, etc... but it's not for her. If I got a Benz, I'd look into it. But she's just not flashy like that.

I live in Chicago, but eventually I could probably get my dealer to transfer one of the cars in NJ or NY over here.

Just a quick question- is the S450 coming here? I'd heard rumors, and that might be the car. My girl doesn't have a lead foot like me, and she honestly doesn't need 380hp. The 335hp S450 4Matic would be superb-- better mileage, lower price (for my benefit), and still very swift. I'd heard it was being imported here next year from AutoSpies and wikipedia, but neither is the best source for this kind of stuff!

Im not sure if Mercedes is going to import it. Mercedes is changing up the engines in each model but its still unclear what will be imported. As always there are smaller engines in Europe, such as C180 and C200, but I havent heard anything about the S450. Unfortunately the S class will only have the 550 and 600 gas engines. Usually when a new model comes out the smaller engines are the first to be imported, and if you want the AMG or V12 model you have to wait. But there may be some good news for you, the diesel models are still to come out. You may not want a diesel but they would fit your situation perfectly, they are turbocharged so they have a little speed, they get great miles per gallon, the new Bluetec models are incredibly clean. Either way you can count on the Bluetec or the S450 sometime in the near future. Good luck, and if I hear anything around the dealerships Ill let you know.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I took a quick look at cars.com recently and see '04 and high mileage '05 S Classes there with 45K and under asking prices. Some with AWD. These look like good deals.

I do recognize the potential electrical problems in these cars. But I wonder, does the onset of these problems some with age of the car or mileage? If aging and not miles cause the electrial head aches, does this mean that one can safely disregard mileage in considering a used S Class? (The only mileage component I can think of would be tires and brakes. A good set of replacement tires and some brake work could/should cost upwards of 2K.) If we can agree that the drive train is bullet proof, it is just the electrics that have non-mileage related gremlins.

What do you think? Or is this penny wise and pound foolish?
  • 2002s430amg2002s430amg Member Posts: 1
    Last night my 2002 S430, 69,000 miles cut off while driving, ughhhh!!!! The lights were still on and a jump didn't work. It was trying to start but just wouldn't turn over. I had to have it towed to the dealer and guess I have to wait till Monday to learn what the damage is. Any ideas of what it might be and the cost to repair (i.e. it was mentioned that it might be alternator). :sick:
  • bbq2daybbq2day Member Posts: 1
    The electrical problems originated at the factory. They have nothing to do with mileage. Before you buy, ask to see the VMI, which is a complete history of repairs. If there are electrical repairs in the past, I can promise you there will be electrical repairs in the future. I have challenged any MB Mechanic/Service Mgr./SAE engineer to prove me wrong...if so I'll pay them $10,000. No takers after 100,000 page views on my challenge. Check the VMI. If they won't show it to you, leave.
    Let me warn you now about dealerships, esp MB dealerships. Now I work with them everyday so I know all the little tricks and whatnot they pull to make extra money, and Ive seen them do it time and again racking up thousands of dollars and hand the bill to the customer, who has to pay it to get their car. Not all dealerships are like this, but be aware. I have a customer of mine's 2005 S600 at the dealership, we had done painted the entire car and he was having some leveling problems and wanted us to check it out. We took it and they called later in the day saying it wouldnt crank and that they would fix the problem and send us the bill. Knowing how things work, I ask them for my cost to fix it. They said it needed a alternator, a battery, a starter battery, and a couple other things, with about 20 hours to do all of the work. Anyways, my cost was going to be about $4500.00. I sent my runner up to the dealership with a new battery, he put it in and everything worked perfectly; there are still no problems.
    Cars like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc are specialty cars and not just anyone can work on them esp. newer ones because you have to have a special computer and you can only get the updates to the software through MB. Anyways, the MB dealership near me charges $185.00 per hour for electrical work, now thats crazy but if they're the only people who can do it what are you going to do?
    So you may have these existing problems, it is true that if you've had problems you're most likely going to have more later on, thats just the nature of it. But when you take your car let them know to call you before they start on anything. Because if they do a lot of work and then you dont think you needed it, you're almost stuck having to pay it under the law. If you dont pay, they can put a Mechanics Lean against the car to pay the bill. So again, not all dealerships are like that but I have definitely known a couple that are. Good luck with it.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    hows the s class v6 and v8, can i get some info, and which is better the s class or the bmw 7 series, because i heard different opinion all the times
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Thanks. Tell us more. Where is your challenge posted? What does VMI stand for?
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I had something similar on my 2000 E320 about a year ago. It took a while to figure out. Wound up needing a new crank sensor, which fixed the problem.
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    your nightmare begins.
    I've had a 1995 600s, similar issue. It cost me $6,000
    Sold the car 2 years ago and the new owner ran into the same problem.

Good luck.
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    I have had so many MB. 2 years ago I sold my 600s (1995). I purchased an Infiniti M45.

I am so happy that I don't have to worry when i stated the MB in the morning which YELLOW light will come on. And the time i spent at MB service department. You are at their mercy everytime you drive your car into the service dept.

good luck to everyone who has a MB.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    good luck to everyone who has a MB.

Thanks. I'm on my fifth, from 1986-2007, all bought new, and have had a great ownership experience with all of them.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Just thought that I would jump in with my .02

Bought my first MB ( 280SL) in 1971. Since then I have had 19 more. Presently a 2005 E320CDI and 2007 350SLK. I must be under a lucky star as I have NEVER had a bad one.

Just thought that you all might to hear some good news and that all MB's are not bummers.
This discussion has been closed.