Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    The key to owning a Mercedes or BMW, actually any high-end vehicle, is SERVICE WORK. A Mercedes/BMW is a great car that will last you a very long time if you have it serviced when it is recommended and do it for the life of the car, which I know a lot of people are saying "DUH" but really you'd be suprised how many people miss services by 1000's of miles. If you keep it serviced the car should be good, however if a Mercedes isnt kept up to MB standards it will give you problems constantly. The problem people run in to is they miss a B service that is a little expensive, then they forget after a couple 1000 miles then next thing you know you need a water pump or something; and once you need serious mechanical work done on your MB you'll regret not keeping up the service book. The parts are very expensive and the labor to install them is worse, so people keep up your Mercedes and/or BMW and they'll probably out live you.
  • trumpet1trumpet1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 S600 and I love it. No problems at all. I just put the Renntech Stage One upgrade on it. What a beast!!! 610 HP and 740 foot/pounds of torque. This thing is just awesome.
    I own a tuner shop in NC and I have a customers 2007 S600 in the shop now, we're doing a couple aerodynamic things, some bigger brakes perhaps, a few interior pieces, and possibly the RENNTech stage 1 package. I was wondering if there was a noticable difference between stock and RENNTech tuned? I know the obvious answer, but is it worth it? I have driven a couple new S600's and they feel slugish to me when starting off, once you get going they're great but im looking for something to get me off the line like a AMG car. Is the RENNTech stage 1 faster off the start? What other things have you noticed? Hope you dont mind me asking, Thanks.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Hi, guys. I always wanted an S Class and I still love the last body style and the way it drives. The new one is a bit out of my price range (and comfort level). How reliable are the 05 and 06's? Do you think it's worth it to try a low mileage CPO'd vs a new E Class, BMW 5 etc. Am I asking for trouble? If I buy (since I don't think a lease would work out as well as on a new car) would I take a bath in 1.5 to 2 years if I wanted out? I see some nice ones in the 50-55K range.
    On these cars is the mileage more important or the year?
    Thanks.
  • jackz33jackz33 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I am the proud owner of a 2004 S430 sport. So far I have no complaints, but after reading this post...I'm shaking in my boots! Are there any warning signs I need to look out for? I have an extended warranty but still...It seems like everyone has a problem with MB? Oh by the way this site rocks!!
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I was looking at 05-06 cpo S classes and trying to make the math work out. Some help please? I usually lease but CPOs don't lease out well. So, if one were comparing a 60 K 5 series or E Class, the lease would be around 900 per month tax in the payment for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year. You'd have to finance the 55-60 K CPO car, pay all of the tax (not just on your payments) and probably put in some service money (new tires? brakes- not a certainty but should be budgeted). So let's est monthly payments at about 1700 per month with interest. At the end of the 3 years (without service) you paid in about 29 K more than for the lease and you have a 5 year old car that's probably worth maybe 30K? So if my numbers are close and please correct if not, you would wash
    out but you would have the risk that the car could be worth less and you would most likely have had to put in 1-2K for repairs of wear items not covered by the cpo warranty. So I'm guessing that to buy the 60K cpo S class is a more expensive prop than to lease a new 60K E class. I would welcome and clarification and correction. If so, then, cpo selling and leasing needs to change a bit for me to take part.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might also hunt up Car_man and/or kyfdx in the S-Class Lease Questions discussion the one for the E-Class while you're waiting for some input here. They'll probably be able to help you with this.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    Why doesn't Germany send their engineers to Japan to learn how to build reliable cars?

I am amazed over how badly these cars are built.

You can miss a service or two with a Japanese luxury car and still be in great shape.

Germany has a lot to learn.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    I myself do not own the S550, but you may be in for a rude awakeing going from Japanese to German. Have you looked the LS?
    you want Germans to learn from Japanese, about cars? you obviously have no idea about how German cars are built, esp. Mercedes-Benz. A Mercedes-Benz is meant to be maintained in a strict fashion, and when you get them serviced regularly they'll last forever. Mercedes-Benz is at the top of their field, and unlike other manufacturers they dont sell a cheaper version of the same car and put a different logo on the back. If you look at everything Mercedes-Benz has introduced it would amaze you, they were doing pedestrian safety in the early 1990's when other manufacturers couldnt even get the passenger saftey up to par. Ultimately there are pros and cons to everything, but if you pay the money for a Mercedes you should have the sense to not miss a service or two. And in the end anyone who thinks a LS and a S class are in the same league has bigger problems than service issues.
  • s550iwishs550iwish Member Posts: 28
    I was at our local Mercedes Dealer here in Vegas to buy the ML350 and when i got there they had 1 dark blue S550. When i was waiting for the papers to be brought back it was gone!! I asked the salesman about it and he said that was the last one they had!! It didnt surprise me because i see them all over the road!!
    a customer of mine wanted a new S class, he went to the local dealership in NC to find one. He wanted white with other specific options, he really wanted to do the "Build Your Own" option but was told that option had been indefinately suspended for the S class because the factory couldnt keep up with the "regualr" production demands. Anyways, he wanted a white S class and he had to end up buying the Designo Mystic White with white interior/black piano wood S600 because it was the only white S class the dealership could find, at least on the East coast. Its good to see Mercedes didnt fall behind in the large sedan category, because at least in this area the E65 7 series was killing the W220 S class in sales. The S class always has been a great car, and the legend continues with this new model.
  • a2fa2f Member Posts: 1
    I love 90% of the things about my 07 S550 which I have had since October 06. I am amazed that MB does not offer the real time traffic coding in the Navagtion system like many of the Japanese Car makers do or like Google Maps does on my TREO. They also charge a fortune for the IPOD adapter for the Audio system and give information that discourages you from wanting to get the bluetooth adapter for a phone other than the overpriced one they try to sell - the adapter works excellent with my TREO except the directory functions, caller id on inbound calls etc do not work... They also put the manual downshift controls in an awful place - behind the back of the steering wheel where the average driver probably accidently pushes them way too often.

All in all those are not major complaints for an automobile however you would think that for over $90k that would do a more complete job on the little nagging issues.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I see late model (e.g., 04, 05) used S600's out there and the little boy in me thinks that it might be cool to have a V12 for a couple of years. Am I nuts? Are the S600's maintenance nightmares like the V12 Bimmers? If you could get a S600 for an S500 price is it a good deal or best avoided?
    The S600 catch. The reason you find all of these slightly used Mercedes-Benz V12 and AMG cars that are a couple years old is because of service fees. It is extremely expensive to repair almost anything on the V12/AMG cars because they are so intricately designed. Also witht these cars they have more "stuff" under the hood, therefore there is more to go wrong. There is a crazy amount of stuff under these hoods, oil cooler, intercooler, etc. The vacuum system in these cars is outrageous. For example, I own a Mercedes-Benz certified collision center and we recently repaired a 2005 S600 with about $73,000.00 damage; actually the car shouldve been a total but anyways. The car was bought for $167,000.00 new and was only worth about $70,000.00 now with less than 20k miles. Anyways, we finished all of our repairs and went to take it to the dealership and it began jerking like it didnt want to pull, as it turned out it was only running off of 2 of 12 cylinders. The vac system had to be completely cleared then have a system cleaning fluid ran completely through, then have fresh fluid ran into the lines. Everything on these cars is expensive too. I am not saying dont buy the car but you need to look at the past service work on the individual car, look at the Mercedes-Benz past service bulletins and compare the typcial problems with the car with what has actually be repaired on the car you're looking at. Be very careful, you can find some hidden gems in the piles no doubt and the cars are great, i personally love the W220 V12 and AMG cars; take your time and do your homework and you'll be satisfied at the end of the day. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.
    Benztuner, thanks. For a guy who was raised on stories on how you could balance a quarter on the hood of a Caddy V12 (or was it a Packard?) and then spent some time in a Hemi powered M113 during Vietnam, big bore engines are always a a turn on. But, from what you have said, the S600 thing seems like a losers game. In the end you have no way of knowing if the car you just "stole" will bite you in the butt.
    It is something i hate to admit because I love the Mercedes-Benz brand so much, and the V12 is their elite car, but its a matter of fact. The one thing i didnt mention is that if you have a V12/AMG car who has had up to date service work done by a Mercedes-Benz dealership then you'd be good. And if you could buy the car from a Mercedes-Benz dealership you'd be even better because of the warranty. I have always loved the S class, from the big Mob style W140 to the completely new age look of the W220 car and now the W221. The S class has always been a great car that Mercedes has been able to reinvent and somehow make it better. The V12 engines are remarkable when you look at what it is, how it is built, and more importantly what it is capable aof. For example, I recently had a customer buy a 2007 S600 Designo Mystic White, a beautiful car. We put a WALD kit on it including exhaust, Kahn 20" wheels, lowered the car about 30mm, and added a RENNTech stage 1 kit for about $7000. The customer paid about $145,000.00 for the car stock and by the time we were finished the car was a couple thousand less than the S65; but it had all the same specs. Stock Hp in the S600 is 510, the RENNTech upgrade boosts HP to 620 (the same as S65) and torque from 612 to 740 lb/ft. These cars are great drivers, they have great power and personally the W220 S600, S65, and S55 are incredible cars with a really torquey feel. If you can get one with complete service books in good shape, that hasnt been expoilted too much by previous owners, with low miles then you should be ok. If you look long enough you should be able to find something suitable because there is a very small market for a two or three year old V12, and typically the people who buy them initially arent driving them hard at all; mostly its a status thing and just to say they have it. Anyways, nomatter what you decide i wanted to tell you that there are some definate GEMS out there, ive seen a couple myself but they can be hard to find so dont give up and definately dont compromise on something like this. Good luck again. No problem anytime i can help give me a shout.
    Benztuner, you are a good guy and one I think I would like to lift a couple of 12 ounce weights with and swap car stories. Now, I'm not trying to break your rice bowl, but to do a one piece at a time (remember that country song?) upgrade to a customer's S600 may not be a good deal for the customer. If his final cost was within a couple of grand of a S65 he should have bought one. Not ruined the resale on an S600. Right now he has probably no resale on his tricked out S600 unless he can find an NBA player who has never heard of an S65 and hasn't had any contact with the ref that just got indicted.
    Thanks. It depends on what the customer is using the car for, in this case the customer wanted a unique car and he intends on keeping it for a little while. Unfortunately, the price of both cars drops dramatically when they're titled, but thats just the way things are. He knows the risks of custom work and he was satisfied with the possible loss during re-sale, but ill be straight he isnt the kind of guy that really cares what he gets re-sale because in the end he'll never spend all he has. But anyways, thanks for the compliment. Take it easy.
  • lnesbittlnesbitt Member Posts: 1
    Any comments as to whether it's worth getting the V12 since the S 500 is pretty quick to begin with. A fully optioned S 500 is otherwise like the S 600 except the motor.
    Anyone had reliability or finicky problems with the S 600?
    thanks!
  • 530_lover530_lover Member Posts: 7
    My friend would like to buy S500 or S350 with AMG......?
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    do not get a S600
    you will be crying...............
  • mins12mins12 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 99 S420 with 136,000 miles without having it checked out by a shop. The car runs great but I am having problems with the trunk and front doors closing the way they were designed to close. What is this problem?
    that all depends on what you mean. how are they closing?
  • mins12mins12 Member Posts: 2
    the doors close well but they do not close automatically
  • lukaleelukalee Member Posts: 3
    I am considering today buying a S430 vs. 2006ML 350(actually I am test driving the S430 for 1 day)and want to know from current or past owners of this vehicle what they're thoughts are. I'm in real estate and to drive folks around luxury,comfort and spaciousness is very important. I currently own the BMW X5is (for 2months and hate the ride). Is it expensive to maintain and to you recommend to purchase a warranty? The cost is $47k with 39000 miles
  • carsnobcarsnob Member Posts: 1
    get an S 500 instead!
    Your clients will appreciate the leg room in the back and the car is smooth and great to drive. With an ML, they have to climb up and in and it will drive stiff like an SUV.
    If you want the 4 wheel drive, then a 4matic is the best choice. The S 430 is bare bones and a short wheelbase. The options in an s 500 makes for an even better car.
    Carsnop, your info is not entirely correct. The wheelbase on the 2004 S Class is the same for all models including S430, 500, 600, S55, and the beautiful S65. The 430 is a awesome ride, and unless you are a speed freak you really won't miss the power of a S500. I say go with the S430, and you will not be disappointed...I'm not!! LOL.....

P.S.

This site rocks!!
    I'm sorry I meant to type "snob". Sorry for spelling your name wrong...no disrespect.
  • camden218camden218 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a difference between an s430 and an s430v?
  • msivorymsivory Member Posts: 6
    I can tell you that my 2000 S430 was a nightmare electrically. Too many problems to mention I had bought it preowned with the starmark warranty, which im glad they dont have it anymore because it sucked. Other than that the car drove great... Smooth.. Fast enough (275hp)... Roomy very roomy in the back. I heard the problems were from 200-2003. Anything past that shouldn't be bad. I just got rid of mine a month ago and purchased a 2007 S550. I love that car I just feel like a million bucks in it. One of the best cars I bought so far. Let's hope that there are no major problems or recalls to come.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I live in the Chicago area... and have been checking out cars to replace my wife's RX330 on-and-off for the past year and a half (yes, I'm anxious to get rid of it). The W221 S-Class has always stood as the underlying, oh-so-tempting choice that we both love but can't have. This is for a few reasons:

• It's huge. Why does Merc only offer the LWB here? It just barely fits in our garage.

• The gas mileage is terrible. Do they think Americans need the 380hp 5.5 V8 as standard? I'm a speed freak, but my wife certainly isn't, and an S450 or S320 CDI would be ideal. She just might not have the conscience to deal with such bad mileage.

We'll be driving the S550 4Matic again soon... but my real question is, is there any way for me to get a Canadian or Euro-spec S-Class here? Because the SWB-only S450 4Matic in Canada may just be the perfect car for her. Or, if we do European delivery (we're probably going to Europe in the spring- good timing), could we get an S320 CDI 4Matic over here? Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • msivorymsivory Member Posts: 6
    • The gas mileage is terrible. Do they think Americans need the 380hp 5.5 V8 as standard? I'm a speed freak, but my wife certainly isn't, and an S450 or S320 CDI would be ideal. She just might not have the conscience to deal with such bad mileage.

Yes.. I DO need a 382hp 5.5 V8. When you've had a 275hp in the past, it's night and day. Of course they suck gas but then again dont ALL v8s? Again, wonderful car.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    That's not the point--she doesn't need a V8. Or, at least not a 5.5L. I'm still wondering if I can get an S450 or S320 CDI for her, though we might just end up with an X5 or an E-Class.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "We'll be driving the S550 4Matic again soon... but my real question is, is there any way for me to get a Canadian or Euro-spec S-Class here?"

No. There is no cost-effective way to do it.
  • johnboypsjohnboyps Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2005 S500. The one option the car doesn't have that I wanted is the cellphone. Does anyone know if I can get bluetooth intergrated phone add into the car? If so any idea of the price?
  • werecowwerecow Member Posts: 1
    "Yes.. I DO need a 382hp 5.5 V8. When you've had a 275hp in the past, it's night and day. Of course they suck gas but then again dont ALL v8s? Again, wonderful car."

The clincher though shouldn't be that it's a 382hp V8, but that Lexus pulled the same performance with a smaller 4.6 with higher fuel economy.
  • edmunds2008edmunds2008 Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW MANY MILES THE MERCEDES BENZ S-CLASS ENGINE, IS BUILT FOR?
  • larianlarian Member Posts: 3
    My personal gift for 2008 is going to be the MB S-500. According to the corporate web site, I have three options of black: Black, Obsidian Black Metallic and Majestic Black Metallic? What's the difference? Is there an advantage for me by selecting a metallic paint?
    I live in Central Florida and need your input before going to a dealer.

Thanks!!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Is there an advantage for me by selecting a metallic paint?

The metallic black has sparkles in it which gives it more depth and richness, IMHO. It's all a matter of personal preference. You should see each to make the decision. I believe they charge extra for metallic paint (even on an S Class?).

BTW, I think you mean the S550.
  • larianlarian Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your opinion, Carnaught.
    Yes, S550. Sorry.
  • bob2683bob2683 Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of a 2007/S 550. Has any other person with this car had a problem with the 19 inche rims cracking. I am from the NYC area and in the last 3 months have had 3 thats right 3 of these rim crack on the inside causing the tires to leak air. I have had the rims replaced at a cost of 920.00 each. According to the dealer they claim I must have hit a pot hole. I am in NYC everyday and show me a street that does not have a pot hole and I will tell you where you can buy a bridge for sale.

If ANYONE has this problem or heard about this could you PLEASE let me know. The dealer has informed me that they have no suck problem with other 550 and the 19 inches rims. Thanks
  • bob2683bob2683 Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of a 2007/S 550. Has any other person with this car had a problem with the 19 inch rims cracking. I am from the NYC area and in the last 3 months have had 3, thats right 3, of these rims crack on the inside causing the tires to leak air. I have had the rims replaced at a cost of $920.00 each. According to the dealer they claim I must have hit a pot hole. I am in NYC everyday and show me a street that does not have a pot hole and I will tell you where you can buy a bridge for sale.

If ANYONE has this problem or heard about this could you PLEASE let me know. The dealer has informed me that they have no such problems with other 550 and the 19 inches rims. Thanks
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    OK, the S550 has been around long enough to give owners a feel for how well MB has accomplished its goal of making the new version more reliable than the previous version. Initial reports on delivery quality were improved, but how have the cars held up in the real world? Has the S550 stayed away from the electrical and mechanical problems prevalent in the S500s?

As a potential purchaser who previously switched to Lexus after years of owning only MBs due to the high value I put on reliability, I look forward to hearing from people who actually own the current car.
  • terrapromisaterrapromisa Member Posts: 1
    I am also from the NYC area and experienced the same problem with a 2007/E350 with the 18" sport package. Crack was on the inside of the rim and did not show any bending damage. MB uses rims from Ronal (made in Poland) and don't seem to be top quality. For my commute I also use(d) a Porsche 911 and Audi S4 wih 18" rims and NEVER experienced this problem before. Dealer adviced taking an insurance for the rims.
  • andoverandover Member Posts: 5
    I am considering purchasing a 2005 S500 with 62,195 miles. It is the Designo Edition. The asking price is $31,900. I am having it checked out at a MB dealership. Can anyone please tell me anything that they know about this model? That is pros and cons? If this model and year are unreliable and I should not make the purchase because of problems with the car, please tell me. I have never owned a MB S500. Please be so kind as to respond. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Andover
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I have not been around in a while.

For what it's worth my 2003 S-430 4-Matic has been a joy.
    No problems whatsoever and a winter snow mobile this time of year.

I add these comments having just browsed some of the past posts.
    Someone may find them of value if looking for a used M-B.

This is my third 4-matic and it has been a lifesaver over the years and we will never by a car without this feature.

My other car is an '07 E-350 4-Matic wagon. Same great experience as with the S above.
  • andoverandover Member Posts: 5
    Rockypaul:

Thank you so very much for the feedback. I am buying a used MB S500. The S430 looks like the S500 to me. You have maintained it the dealer? You have had no problems with specific areas of the car? Why is it the Consumer Reports gives the S class models such horrific reviews? Any ideas? When you get a moment respond. If you know of any site where I can learn more about the S500, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Andover
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Consumer Reports presents conflicting recommendations for cars. I had subscribed for years at my office for additional buying help for my staff but when I questioned their survey techniques and findings with respect to car reviews they sent me a very defensive letter.
    You will find cars on the recommended list yet also demonstrate poor repair histories. My main issue with them is not reporting the number of respondents per vehicle and year. Many ratings are carried over from previous data and cars that are say 4 years old have a terrible history on brake repairs. Well, of course they would need brakes but at what mileage? They have this data but choose to leave it out and that diminishes the usefulness of their reports.

The people who choose to respond to their surveys either have legitimate gripes they wish to get off their chests or way too much time on their hands to complete such a lengthy survey.

Oddly, over the years CR has road tested E and S class sedans and they were overwhelmed by the quality, luxury and performance. Go figure.

I do maintain my cars at the dealer religiously. The only issue I had was following a replacement of a voltage regulator under a service bulletin they did not clear the resultant error codes and I had to return. That and 2 headlight bulbs replaced (my headlights are on all the time) under warranty.

The difference between the 430 and the 500 are as follows from the catalog:
    Bigger motor, more power;
    Leather quality;
    HID Headlights on the 500;
    Heated seats standard on 500.

You can compare each year and model for the last 16 years at the M-B site.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    As a potential purchaser who previously switched to Lexus after years of owning only MBs due to the high value I put on reliability,

Did u switch to the ls460?

Don't have much experience abt merc but my dad had own it previously and still loves it . His favo car is the Cls class.

By the way my uncle had just traded his blue bmw 7 series 2004 to 2008 S350 last week in white with that black sun roof I think it's called panamara looks soooo nice. this car looks very special.
This discussion has been closed.