Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• jackz33jackz33 Member Posts: 4
    Hello MB fans and owners....I have a 2003 S430 with the sports package...When I turn the wheel every now and then I hear this CLANK! and the alignment seems to get out of whack...Then another CLANK...and all is fine for a while. It seems like something is loose but the mechanic says everything is fine....What's the deal?
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Did u switch to the ls460?

No, I bought a '05 LS430 before the LS460 was available. Interestingly, I just was talking to a fellow I know who called his CLS "an expensive piece of junk".

I'm still disappointed that no current S550 owners have responded to my inquiry about their experiences with the reliability of their cars.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Well since my uncle got it brand new i'd like to give u his experience but i am currently out of town and secondly i am not close to him. but still if i ever get a chance i'll let you know.

thats strange that no1 has responded abt the new s class here

he calls it a piece of junk :sick: but why :confuse: he should have test drove it before buying it.

I don't like cars like cls my self because when ur sitting ur head is touching the roof i am not sure but i had also felt like this in the new LS as well.
  • md2md2 Member Posts: 15
    I LOVE MY S550 IT IS THE VERY BEST CAR I HAVE SO FAR I HAD A LS430 NOW THIS CAR IS JUNK LOVE MY BENZ THANK YOU
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I have had my S550 for a little over two years now. The odometer just clicked past the 35000 mile mark and I have yet to have a problem. It has gone in for service every 10000 miles and there is not a squeek or rattle found anywhere.

Also, worth considering the new S is also the highest ranked car in the industry for initial quality by JD Power and considered to be one of the top ten most reliable cars in the world by the European Automotive Press. This has certainly proved true in my case.

I find it kind of funny because I will readily admit that Lexus' have long been more reliable than Mercedes but my friend got a new LS460 a little over a year ago and its back in the shop a fourth time this weekend for the same transmission problem. If you want my opinion, go with the S550. In the long run the Lexus may still prove slightly more reliable, but there is no denying the S will be a vastly more satisfying car to own.
    my friend got a new LS460 a little over a year ago and its back in the shop a fourth time this weekend for the same transmission problem

DId u ever drive ur friends LS if you did how do you compare it with ur s class?

Also, worth considering the new S is also the highest ranked car in the industry for initial quality by JD Power and considered to be one of the top ten most reliable cars in the world by the European Automotive Press. This has certainly proved true in my case.

top 10 in the world which are the other 9cars?
  • jim_houkjim_houk Member Posts: 1
    Benz tuner,

May be interested in the RS90 17 lorinser wheels you have. I am looking for spares for my 560SEC. Have a set on the car with et22 wheels. What is the off set of your wheels. thank you in advance.

Jim Houk
  • chanderchander Member Posts: 21
    I am in the market for a 05 S-%00 with low mileage , the car seems to depreciate steeply-any advise on such a car regarding reliability and extended warranty
    Thanx :)
    I have driven his LS460L only once and I wasn't really that impressed. It drives big and floaty while the S drives small and buttoned down. The LS achieves its supreme refinement by completely removing you from the road, the S manages to be both supremely refined while also delivering a firm, solid ride. There is no question that the S is the driver's car of the two and it also feels considerably quicker (although it is really a dead heat). My biggest complaint, however, was that the interior of the LS is filled with hard plastics where the S uses leather. Overall it felt a lot more Toyota than Lexus and I have to say I thought the old LS430 had a better built interior.

This is just my opinion, I think the Lexus is a fantastic car, but the S really is in a league of its own.

Lastly, I don't really remember what all ten were. A good majority were cars sold exclusively in Europe. I do remember that along with the S550 were the Porsche 911, Lexus LS, and Honda Accord. Aside from that I don't really remember and I cannot find the article anymore.
    It drives big and floaty while the S drives small and buttoned down.

I agree on that even sitting in the seat feels that its a huge car to drive and while sitting in the 7seri it felt small and easy to drive.

The LS achieves its supreme refinement by completely removing you from the road,

So ur saying there is no road feeling now this is the second time i heard this about the lexus?

My biggest complaint, however, was that the interior of the LS is filled with hard plastics where the S uses leather. Overall it felt a lot more Toyota than Lexus and I have to say I thought the old LS430 had a better built interior.

But it is a part of toyota so ur bound to feel like its a toyota

This is just my opinion, I think the Lexus is a fantastic car, but the S really is in a league of its own.

Well off course but only a 20 year old company is regularly being compare to a 100+ years old mercedes gotta give some credit to lexus specially for reliability

Anyway thanks for your reply,

I am trying to decide between a SUV currently i favor the X5 but after hearing scary posts about reliability concerns and electronic failures software concerns electronic complicated to use compare to a lexus thats the main reason why i am leaning towards lexus reliability is a big concern to me
    I forgot to mention the main thing i do like lexus but the problem is they currently don't have any SUV to my liking other than the big new LX i like the LX but for me its just tooo big and the RX not really my type to me its very much a ladies car, I been thinking from months why lexus are not considering making a new SUV to compare with the likes of M class X5 cayenne!!!!!

to me LX is to big to compare to these 3 and the RX is well something else.
  • scotflyerscotflyer Member Posts: 2
    How can I get a bluetooth phone to work in the car without having the adaptor as I would leave the damn phone in the car. Thanks!!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I saw today an '05 or '06 S600 with the AMG name on some trim on the right rear of the trunk. (The AMG chrome piece may well have been added by the owner later.) It also had aftermarket black spoke wheels. Despite the drug dealer type who was driving it, the car looked good in a bad sort of way. Not at all like the usual Mercs driven by harried, overweight CPAs.. And the idea of a V12 turned me on. I realize that the S600's have a mixed reputation and that some problems supposedly can't even be fixed. But I wonder if the later ones, say the '05 and '06's are less problematic?

I'd like to own a V12 once in my life. If you could buy one of these things right (ie., for the same price as a comparable S500), how bad would it be? Especially if certified? Or should I just check myself in for a 28 day program at McClean in Boston?
    The later model years of the previous generaiton S did indeed see vast improvements in quality, but I would still be weary of purchasing a used one unless it was immaculately maintained. If I were you I would hold off a few years and wait for a 2007 or newer S600. The current generation is vastly superior to the previous generation in everyway, including reliability.
  • omycaptomycapt Member Posts: 2
    Bob, I just read your comments re cracked rims. I have a 2006 E500 with 18" sport rims. 3 weeks ago, the rim cracked and of course, by the time I realized anything, a tire was also ruined. At the MB dealership, I paid, rim $500, tire $352. I replaced them, and yesterday I noticed air loss on another tire. Upon closer examination, I found that rim was also cracked. Please tell me what you have found out so far; satisfaction; etc. etc.
  • omycaptomycapt Member Posts: 2
    I just read your comments re cracked rims. I have a 2006 E500 with 18" sport rims. 3 weeks ago, the rim cracked on the inside in 2 places, and of course, by the time I realized anything, a tire was also ruined. At the MB dealership, I paid, rim $500, tire $352. I replaced them, and yesterday I noticed air loss on another tire. Upon closer examination, I found that rim was also cracked. Please tell me what you have found out so far; satisfaction; etc. etc.
  • madradmadrad Member Posts: 32
    Can someone provide details on real time traffic option on 2008 S 550? Is it integrated with the navigation; is is Navteq provided or ?XM satellie provided or SIrius provided?
    Otherwise nice salesperson didn't have very good answers.
    Thanks
  • mason84300tdmason84300td Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I just purchased a 1995 s600 and have a few questions. When I first started driving the car I had no problems at all, after washing it I noticed the ASR and the ABS lights were coming on. After restarting the vehicle the lights would turn off. Now this is constaant. I removed and cleaned the front speed sensors and the problem has not gone away. The bolts holdding the rear sensors are rusted and I cacn't tell if the bolts are a 5mm hex or a star bit. Does anyone have any suggestions. Sorry for rambling. Thank you. :)
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    Happy Lexus owner (wife has a RX and its been great!) looking at used, low miles (20-35K) MB's (both the E350 and S430's)
    Thinking of taking the leap to a MB as I like the look better then the GS and LS.I was toying with a S but the Airmatic issues so I concentrated on the E350 's(both 06 and 07's CPO's) but was very dissapointed to find them with vinyl ("MB tex") unless they have the less common leather option (about 1500).No way I would buy a luxury car with taxi cab seats no matter how the "sell" it("last longer","can't tell the diffence"),so I am back to the S's (05- 06's)
    In the 05-06's how bad are the troublesome airmatic issues and what other problems should I expect?
    thanks
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I have both: 2003 S-430 4-Matic and 2007 E-350 4-Matic wagon.

The first version of air matic had issues. The newer one with with ADS II has been problem free for me in 6 years. It is also the best suspension system I have ever had including a Lexus LS.

The E class gets the Airmatic in the V-8 models at a $10k premium.

I need the 4-Matic as it has saved my [non-permissible content removed] so many times on snow and ice.
    I left Lexus for that and other reasons.

If you bye an '05 or newer you will have plenty of warranty left to help with your concerns.
  • drudru1drudru1 Member Posts: 6
    1996 mercedes benz S420. I left my lights, on so of course my battery died. Jumped the car, but the trunk will not lock now. It should latch upon contact with the trunk as the doors does, not happening?? The light on the switch inside the car that disengage the trunk will not go off, meaning the trunk lock will always be in the open posistion?? Also I bought the car used 8 years ago, therefore I do not have the code for the radio? HELP!!!!!
  • samersamer Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 S500 4matic. I've had it for a little over a year. When the temperature started getting cold, 32 or so, the Airmatic message came on. This also happened last year. I was lazy and didn't take it to the dealer right away. When I took it to the dealer, he couldn't get a code or find any problems. It is starting to happen again. I have set an appointment for it. I am trying to get some information to see if I can make any suggestions to the dealer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • rmbaker47rmbaker47 Member Posts: 8
    A mechanical question for owners of the V12 motor. I am changing my oil and filter on my 1995 S600 Sedan for the first time and am embarrassed to admit I cannot find the oil filter element canister to replace the oil filter? Can anyone help me with the location?, Do I service it best working from the top or bottom of the motor?, Any tips to minimize oil spillage?, Is there more than just replacing the filter element and the O ring - like cleaning any screens?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Mike
  • Mart1n0Mart1n0 Member Posts: 1
    '98 S-500, with 124 K runs fine, has up to date service,has balanced tires, BUT, about 65mph when the engine is under load(beginning to go up hill) there is a bad vibration. I feel it in the steering wheel. Does this sound like a torque converter problem or a problem with tfe drive shaft??? HELP!
  • numbs500ernumbs500er Member Posts: 2
    Hello, this is my first post. I just brought a 2005 S500 4 matics with 24K miles. from a private party. The car just off warranty Sept.. I just found some service bulletins posted few years back and a recall posted late last year. Will the dealer still do the works free? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
  • numbs500ernumbs500er Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rocky, Is the work done for the service bulletin free? even if it is not under warranty?
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    What type of transmision oil should I use on a 2000 S-Class with 100,000 miles? What about power steering fluid, are these dealer only products?
  • leroymleroym Member Posts: 4
    I have a friend who has a 2008 S Class. He notes that it consistently pulls to the right. He took to dealer for possible alignment and correction and they told him that Mercedes had engineered it to pull slightly to the right in case of the driver being incapacitated, in which case he would drift into the right hand disk instead of left into traffic. Is this correct or are they just giving him a line of ??.
    I have a friend who has a 2008 S Class. He notes that it consistently pulls to the right. He took to dealer for possible alignment and correction and they told him that Mercedes had engineered it to pull slightly to the right in case of the driver being incapacitated, in which case he would drift into the right hand disk instead of left into traffic. Is this correct or are they just giving him a line of ??.

Hahahaha, thats the funniest thing I've ever heard.

They are lying to your friend, the car was most probably damaged when bringing from the sea port.

Advice your friend to change the car as soon as possible.
  • leaseexpert1leaseexpert1 Member Posts: 4
    that it correct. my wifes 2003 C320 Sport had the same issue and when I investigated it that is the same answer i got.
    that it correct. my wifes 2003 C320 Sport had the same issue and when I investigated it that is the same

You believed them?
    Hey Guy's,

Honestly now folks, think about it. Why in the world anyone want to drive ANY car 50, 100, 500 or say over 1000 miles having to constantly compensate for the car pulling to the right every inch of the way. And that is just the way it is, there is nothing you can do about it, that's crazy!!! When you get behind the wheel you ideally want the car to almost drive itself, that's when you know have a nice machine. It always feel like the trip is over before you get started because the machine is just that comfortable to drive.

A car constantly pulling to the right would be a job, not a pleasure to drive. In short, I don't believe anyone would intentionally build a car to do that. I can't tell you the exact number is, but there are an astronomical number of people in this country that die in accidents from tree collisions, and just drifting into the other lane of traffic traveling in the same direction. Yes, I do understand that the chance of taking out less people minimizing the accident to your side of the road, but nevertheless...... Steering and stoping are probably the two most important safety features in an automobil aside from the obvious, the cars construction and air bags. I can not believe an manufactuer would tamper with either of them. In my mind that would just be totally irresponsible to say the very least. I have two Mercedes, an S (97) and a ML 350 (03) (which is a piece junk almost from day one) and I don't have that problem. If there is any truth to this pulling to the right thing, I would be astonished!

Peace
    I have two Mercedes, an S (97) and a ML 350 (03) (which is a piece junk almost from day one) and I don't have that problem. If there is any truth to this pulling to the right thing, I would be astonished!

Hi,

Your cars have been a piece of junk from day1, why?

When the first benz was a piece of junk, why did you purchase it for the second time? :confuse:

I've been reading a lot that benzs are pulling to the right side, I am just a bit surprised that most posters here believe what the dealers are saying, how the hell can this be a normal thing. :mad:
  • wollofjollofwollofjollof Member Posts: 1
    i have a 300sel gas, that sat for 7months with ignition problems,which has been fix by an authorize shop,anyway after driving for few hours ystdy the engine start shaking and vibration would i need to change the plugs and wires or what would cause that?
  • coolvtcoolvt Member Posts: 1
    Is the Air Mass Sensor simply a "bolt in affair" or does something have to be reprogramed after?
    Thanks, Mark
  • corblimey2corblimey2 Member Posts: 5
    Good Evening:

Anyone aware of any dealerships offering 0% financing?

thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also ask in our S-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.
  • tbradley1tbradley1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1979 Mercedes 450 SLC with CIS fuel. It started to run rough like out of fuel and the elect. fuel pump was making a loud whining noise. I pulled the fuel line of on the delivery side of the reservoir and hot wired the pump and no fuel pumped out. My question is could the fuel pump gone out and also the fuel reservoir? I took the pump and reservoir off and bench tested the pump and the suction is very low. Also I can’t blow through the reservoir. Has new filter. The reservoir seems to be spring loaded or something it is heavy and does this reservoir usually go out?
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    Hello All.
    I need advice. I want to buy 2007 S-class with about 30K. How, in general, reliable this car ? I used to lease cars, but in todays market buying makes more sense.
    Any suggestions or ideas ? I'm choosing between Lexus LS and MB S-class. Both are nice cars, but MB looks better and LS, according to consumer's reports, more reliable.
    Good luck to all.
    Hey eaggroup,

Do yourself a favor and buy a Pontiac, yes PONTIAC! G8 GXP. Before you laugh research it. Save a ton of money (28,000) and be happy you did. But if you're after status go back to one of your original choices. If you want be smart and look good doing it, with over 400 HP to boot, trust me. You'll have your cake and eat it too.

Peace
    Hi drudru1.
    Thanks for advice, but if I'd like to buy Pontiac - I'd ask about Pontiac, but unfortunately I wanna buy MB or Lexus :))) . I agree that G8 is a nice car, but it does not fit in my vision of luxury car. It's probably very good sport sedan, that losing value like any american car after 2 years almost to zero :))
    Good luck to you anyway.
    The first, the S is NICE!! The second, the ML(03) is a piece of junk!!!! I can't name all that has gone wrong with it, I would be up all night. But in general one of the mirrors doesn't work, the power steering pump has failed twice, one of the heated seats has failed, the radio just died taking the cd player with it, one of the catalytic converters needed to be replaced, the so-called pumped for the brakes went out, my wife backed into the basketball goalpost at about 1 MPH, the bumper cracked down the middle and detached from both ends. I've only spoken with two other owners, neither were happy. One of them got rid it after one year. Every time I decided to get rid of mine, something else happened. At any rate.........

The dealer wanted 900 bucks to repair the radio, I've found there are very few people that will come near those radios. I refused to spend any more money on it, I therefore drove around about a year and half without a radio. I finally broke down and bought a KENWOOD touch screen with a DVD/CD play to replace it. The brake situation is kind of weird. When you are not applying the brake you get this loud hissing sound, when you apply the brake it stops. According to the dealer this does not create a dangerous situaion, if you can live with the noise??? Mind you most of these of these problems occurred within the first 3 to four years. Trust me, you are going to recommend them to all of your enemies.
    No problem, and thanks. I do own a 97 S,and a 03 ML. I bought the 97 used (2000). I realized very quickly how fast they too lose their value. In f act that was the reason I was able to afford it in the first place. But don't take my word for it, shop for a used S just for the record. In my opinion 20 years ago that would have been have been true, but no longer. Price one that's 2 or 3 years old. The used one will be bargain in comparison. At one time the car was not a buy, but an investment as well, not to mention the prestige. Now you'll have the presige because the name lives on, it's called marketing.

On another note, as if you have nothing else to do, go by a MB dealer's "Service" area and you'll find more ML's there than any of the models, but you'll also find plenty of them on the road, marketing.

PEACE, AND BE WELL.
    Hi.
    I wanna go to dealers’ action and buy 2 years old car, that still on warranty for 2 years. Based on what I see - today you can easily buy S with about 25K-30K on it for about 40 grand. I think it's a good price. if you sell it after 2 years of ownership and calculate how much you lost - it will be a lot less than to lease this car brand new. So, you have a car, which is on warranty and you pay almost half of standard lease price. I think it's a good deal. What do you think?
    Actually that sounds like a pretty darn good idea, if for no other reason than the fact that leasing is never a good idea unless your own a business according to the money pros, I tend to agree with them.
    I, actually, own a business and I'm leasing cars almost 15 years already. I'm always write it off from taxable income. I spoke to my accountant and the difference between leasing and owning the car is: when you own it - you can't write off your payment. The biggest amount you can write off is $1500 a year, BUT....and this is the best part, you can write off 50 cents for each mile you drive :)). Now there is the question - who knows how many miles I'm driving ? So, if you driving. let's say 15K a year - this is 75 hundred bucks plus 15 hundred, which is allowed. At the end it's $9000 a year plus gas, insurance and repair expenses. All it comes to very good non taxable amount. I think there is a logic in my story.
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    Not all true. First of all if you finance a vehicle you can still write off payments in addition to depreciation because you now own the car.

The IRS for tax year 2009 allows a tax deduction of 55 cents per mile for business miles driven. The 55 cents per mile is an estimate of per mile cost of total vehicle usage and therefore in that 55 cents includes gas, insurance, tolls, etc. You're other option is to document your business usage and keep all of your receipts. Because that requires alot of time and being neat and organized the IRS gives the other option of 55 cents per mile. Usually keeping records and finding out the true cost will result in higher deductions, so the IRS punishes the lazy with a much lower rate.

I'm not sure where you are getting an automatic $1,500 write off but logically that doesn't make sense.

If I buy a 100,000 Mercedes, BMW, etc. I pro rate my expenses: gas, insurance, repairs, tolls, etc. & also take a depreciation deduction over the life of the vehicle. Say I drive 15,000 miles a year & 8,500 of those are for business. 56.67% of my costs should be expensed throught the business plus depreciation & the other portion is personal and should be paid out of pocket.
    Thanks for info. I will confirm it with my accountant.
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 7
    The top front of my 2006 S430 drivers seat is like a hard, raised lump and is painful as it pushes up into the back of my leg. I guess this is "thigh support." (It's more like torture.) I'm thinking of taking it to a good car reupolstery shop to maybe
    replace the hard foam with something a lot softer and flatter. Any thougths on
    the wisdom of this? Thanks in advance.
  • dr_j_bostondr_j_boston Member Posts: 7
    Hello all-
    I am thinking about upgrading (in size) from a 06 E350 4matic to a 2004 S-class, either a S500 or S430, both w/ the 4 matic.

Does anyone out there have any advice on the reliability of the 2004 models? Nervous about the age, but so far, my 06 E has been solid, no issues at 54K miles.

Also, I checked trade in values of both and they appear to be similar. Anyone recently purchase a used 2004 or 2005 S-class and share their price range? I am looking at 2 vehicles in the 50K mile range. Boston area.

Thanks for any input.
This discussion has been closed.