Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    I am interested in anyone who has owned or currently owns the previous s-500 series Benz, particularly a 1994.

Nearing 90,000 miles, I am interested in what problems you have encountered and that I should watch for.

Any advice on preventative maintanance?

Would you share, also, your personal reflections on the car.... pros and cons.

How long would you advise I keep the car?
    Any expierence?

Has anyone added an extended warrenty?
    Which company do you recommend?

Anything else ??

Admiring Benz owner !
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    The ABC suspension does not use the air-suspension components. The components are more like a standard suspension. Where the ABC suspension is really noticeable is in fast tight turns, it keeps the body more level.

Regarding the venitated seats, I experience the same in my CL500. I believe the way the seats are designed to work is that the air is actually pulled "into" the seat, and exhausted out the back vent, so you really won't feel a "whoosh" of air.
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    That's a great idea...plull the sweat through the seat fibers and stink up the joint. Oh well, who am I to question MBZ engineers.

I didn't get the option on my S500 but I hear from others that it does the job well. Let's follow up in a couple of years to see if these cars stink noticeably more.
  • mrman_3k2mrman_3k2 Member Posts: 8
    After having my new S600 for a few days, the ventilated seats, I can hardly detect that it pulls air down. I don't think it is a very strong current at all. Therefore, I do not think it will smell, but time will tell.

I also wanted to know, has anyone driven in either a CL600 or CL55 AMG. I am considering either, but the dealer has not had one to test drive. I am looking for the performance as well as the luxury aspect. I have a CLK55 on order, so the high end performance is taken care of. If I could just get opinions between the two Cl's, either if you have driven one, or just are giving an opinion. It would be appreciated.
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    I was under the impression that in the S Classes, the ABC is used in conjunction with the already great airmatic suspension, rather than with conventoinal springs and coils like in the CL. Because I read a review about the S55 which said that the "MB enineers didn't see it necessary to change the already excellent airmatic suspension...". The S 55 also has ABC as standard, so that is why I thought they are used together. Is this true? If not, is ride "creaminess" traded of for a more sporty feel of road connection but a more harsh ride?

Also, does the S600's 17 inch tire package seem more adequate to the power thatn did the 16 inchers in the 500. Or is it necessary to order the 18 inch wheel/tires to really corner with no tire squealing? I personally like the chrome AMG 220 from the tire rack, without the sport package.
    By the way, I am asking just out of curiosity, as it would be too hard for me to justify the premium over a s500 or even a S55 for a 600, despite the amasing power, the extra leather and that S600 badge on the trunk (amazing how a single number can add "value" to the car. I saw a grey one in the parking lot. It was easily recognizable from the badge (duh) and the wheels which are absolutely gorgeous. All of a sudden, it did not seem to me like the sedan a bluehaired grandmother would drive to the grocery store)
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Is a New C class with the 349hp AMG engine in the works?

Would this be the fastest Benz then? Of course, not counting the SLR...
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The new AMG tweaked C-class is the C32 AMG with a supercharged 3.2L V6 producing over 350hp, I believe. Not sure how fast it is though.

The C55 AMG was a very limited production run, and was only available in Germany. FYI, they also got a SL73 AMG. That's right, a massive 7.3L V12 engine!

BTW, how's the S? Haven't seen you posting much in here.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Haven't had much chance driving the S lately. The weather's been bad and the ML's the better choice. So far, the S500 had live up to it's tradition. It's a pleasure starting that sweet engine.

I am planning to drive either down to Florida or out west to SF later this year. The wife thinks I am crazy though.
    In 2000, MBUSA sold 37,900 S class in the states. That's 1 per 7,400 people.
    The sales stats are interesting, more than I would have thought, in fact isn't that more than the E?

As far as the long distance drive, the Mastercard commercial comes to mind with the familiar tag line "priceless". That would be a ball, but too expensive to me. I've figured that if I own the car for 4-5 years, averaging 12K/year, the car costs me about$1.25 per mile. To SF would be over $6K, and Florida about $3K roundtrip. Like I said, some things are priceless. As far as opportunity costs go, it would be cheaper to rent a huge RV probably.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The S did good for 2000, but the E remains the most popular series in the U.S. The E is usually closer to 50K units a year.

M
    Here's the whole thing:

C: 389,400 (World) 65,300 (US)
    E: 246,900 49,600
    M: 105,700 52,800
    S: 108,400 37,900
    Are you sure about that number for the C-Class in the United States, that a pretty high number. Where did you get those numbers? If those are correct it will be the first time the C has outsold the E in the U.S. Interesting. Anyone know why the U.S. website stopped giving sales totals for each month.

M
    All numbers are from the Wall St Journal Monday. They were used to compare to BMW's figures. It appears that while the 3 series outsold the C class by 15-20%. MB sold a lot more S class than BMW with it's 7 series. Maybe that's why I see so many more S than 740's in NYC.
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Member Posts: 48
    I have order a S430 that will arrive soon. I'm thinking about replacing the rims with Lowenhart rims. Any suggestions or comments about these rims or would you recommend something else. Please post as soon as possible.
    ML, I considered the same rims. Lowenhart specializes in Lexus and BMW however. It is only a round piece of metal, but I personally prefer to stick with tuners of MBZ vehicles. MBZ tuners include AMG, Brabus, Carlsson, and Lorinser. There's a good wheel selection at http://www.tmengineering.net (in SoCal). If you like AMG, stick with http://www.tirerack.com .
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone know if the S class 4matic will be available late this year as a 2002 model, or not until Sept. 2002 as a 2003 model?
    Haven't seen you around for a while. Unfortunately, it seems to be the latter...Not September, but late October/November 2002. This is with the case for all 4-matic MB cars (new C, new E, and the apparently facelifted S).

Drew
    Host
    Thanks for that information Scargo it was very helpful, but I think that I will stick to my Lowenharts. Any more ideals, please let me know. Thanks
    Those of you living in or close to NY may be interested in Edmunds.com's NY editor contest.
    I had to change my Lowenhart rims to Primax rims.
    Does anyone know anything about Primax rims. Any information would be very, very helpful.

Thanks
  • ejerodejerod Member Posts: 86
    I'm considering getting my windows tinted with a mirror tint that fades to black half way up the windows. I have a 2001 S500 Brilliant Silver/Ash. I read somewhere that it could damage the contacts over time that are a part of the power seats mechanisms. I've spoken with some technicians as well as a body shop owner that has 2 S Classes, an E430, A CLK420 and the SLK. All his windows are tinted and he insists that there has never been a problem. Any comments ?
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    I have a S500 (brilliant silver/ash) and am thinking about the wood steering wheel. I need opinions on how this looks. Does it make the car look like an older person's car? Help.
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    Definitely get the wood/leather. It came standard on my CL, and I love the look. However,if you think you will be uncomfortable holding on to a hard surface, then you may not like it. But, I think the look is 1000% better over the full leather wheel.
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    I agree. I think wood steering wheel looks very good. However, there are two cautionary points from my experience. First, if the wood steering wheel is purchased from the dealer service dept. and installed by the dealer, chances are the paint color of the wood will be a little darker than that of the rest of the car. Second, the joints between the wood and leather may create rubbing/popping sound during bumpy ride.
    At my ultra-wise age of 38, I am beginning to realize that the only reason why we hear these strange noise in our S Class is because it is so nice, so serene, so quiet, and so luxurious to begin with!

When you're suffering in some taxi, or Taurus, or Explorer, you don't have the chance to experience minute sounds. The constant and obnoxious noise levels in these vehicles deafen all your senses.
    All you want is to get there.

With our S class, all we want is a long and winding road with a lady friend to our right.
    My wheel is on the way.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Ejerod, I have a 2000 S430 and I had my windows tinted. The installation did not affect my power seat contacts, however, there is a good chance it will affect your power window motor. This happened to me, and doing a little research, seemed to be a common problem. It turns out that the chemical that is used to clean &/or adhere the tinting runs down inside the door and shorts out the power window motor. The solution is to make sure that the installers remove the door panel and cover the motor with plastic prior to the tinting being done. If this precaution is taken, you should have no problems.
  • jwamallsjwamalls Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a new SLK 230 and here in Northern California the dealers so far have held at sticker. Anyone know of a Calif dealer discounting? Thanks!
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    I'm sure the Sclass is outselling the 7series- the new 7 came out in 1995....bit dated, still looks nice though. Owners are coming off leases or selling their 7's- only to find that the car hasn't changed one bit (maybe a few cosmetic touches)....so, for a change of pace- they are going with the Sclass. Once the new 7series debuts, I'm sure the numbers will be right there with the W220 Sclass.
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    Well, my '97 S500 has been a fine car, but at 61,000 miles, it is getting long in the tooth.
    I am also now in the mileage penalty phase.
    The problem is of course the difficulty (i.e. $) of getting out of the lease. I had traded up to the S500 from an S320 (in retrospect, a bad move), so my equity situation stinks, and with the redesign of the S *and* a lower price, forget it. The car is cherry, but the street value is still about 20K below the payoff on the lease. Am I the only one pissed off at MB for not helping loyal owners (4 Benzes in 5 years) out of their devalued I cars?
    Thanks Roger, I'll make sure the guy covers the controls for the seats before he applies the solution to the windows.
    There's a little more than that besides simply covering the door control electronics. Have a look at this newsletter (it's at the bottom half of the page under the section "S-class tinting") for the special MB instructions:

http://www.curtrich.com/april2000.html

Drew
    Host
    My wife has to pull up to school curb to pick up kids. Anybody knows how she can unlock front passenger door as well as rear doors conveniently while engine is running? Thanks in advance.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Have you tried the unlock button, it will unlock all the doors.

We have a 95 S500 and the button unlocks all the doors. I doubt that they changed that feature...

Robert
    Our S500 is just a month old. We're just learning the many features that it offers. So far, the only unlock button that we know is on the electronic key. But, while it is inserted with engine running, it is not really easy to use it for unlocking purpose. Can anybody else with the 2000/2001 S430/S500 help with this seemingly simple situation?
    Our previous car BMW740IL requiring the pulling of the driver side door lock latch by the window to unlock other doors. It took use a while to get used to the awkward design. Why don't the German Engineers just put in a clear/simple lock/unlock button by the power window buttons? Thanks.
    The central door locking/unlocking switch is to the right of the red hazard lights/blinkers triangle in the middle of the dashboard, just below the centre air vents. It has a picture of a door with a key. Why is it there (has been on all MB vehicles for decades)? Partly that the front passenger can get to it in the event of an emergency. You may want to read the owner's manuals (at least the basic functions section) since this car has many many features.

Enjoy the ride!

Drew
    Host
    My wife found it too. Even though it is located at differently from most other cars, it is quite convenient once you know where it is.
    Thanks for the heads up on the window tinting. I'm going to talk to the technician Wednesday to see what knowledge he has about it.I've seen several S-Classes around with the window tint. I just think that the brilliant silver with the sports package will look phenomenal with a mirror tint. Congratulations Georgette3 on your recent S class Purchase. I've had mine since November and I guess I now understand at least 95% of the features, once you get the hang of it, it all makes sense..lol
    Please join us in our inaugural MB Tuesdays chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific. All MB owners and fans/enthusiasts are welcome to drop by. Don't miss it, it should be great!

Click on the link below to get to the chat:
    /direct/view/.eea6e59

Drew
    Host
    Just a reminder that the MB chat starts in about 20 minutes. See you there:

/direct/view/.eea6e59
  • cpolercpoler Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking for a 1995-97 S420 or S500 woth low miles (30-50k). I am very undecided which car to buy and whether to buy a starmark car or not.. can anyone help as a recommendation.. thanks
    Well if you want all the W140 S-Class features this side of the S600 get the S500, and by all means get a StarMark vehicle. The W140 S-Class is in no way cheap to fix should something go wrong.

M
    Well I did it. I got the mirrored tint on my silver S500 w/AMG package. I told the installer to do what you all recommended and what happens ? He totally forgot to take off the panels and as I was driving home my seat became possesed and starts moving on it's own. The sterring wheel, seat, mirrors, heated and ventilated seats go haywire. I dropped it off at the dealership ticked off a bit but they replaced the control module and all is well . They said they are documenting this and if it is a common problem Mercedes will create some type of cover for the module to protect it. I found out that they only use soap and water to install the tint , but the contacts become corroded over time so they replaced the module anyway. Anyway, alls well that ends well . I'm happy and the tint looks great thanks for all the ino guys. I love this board and my car. Not neccessarily in that order..:)
    I will be taking delivery of my S-430 this week. Are there any questions that I should ask? Are there any look fors that should be aware of? Please respond as soon as possible! Thanks
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I bet your car looks awesome!
  • sigmabossigmabos Member Posts: 9
    Yes.... I took delivery of a black/black S430 a couple of months ago and it would have helped if I knew the following:
    #1, If you have the K2a (phone)...if you have a voice message, and the phone is connected to the car it will interrupt the audio system every 2 minutes with a pause. You have to clear the message to get rid of the pause.

#2Make sure that they activate your teleaid at the dealer. It needs to be done prior to being used.

#3 Make sure the dealer explains the additional cost when using Teleaid and when that cost kicks in.

#4 Two features I found helpful are the auto right mirror position down when in reverse(makes parking much easier) and auto door lock at 9 mph. Both of these features need to be programmed... save yourself some frustration and let the sales guy do it at delivery.

#5 The voice command and cd/radio controls can be darn right frustrating the first couple of times. Allow the sales guy to program a couple of locations in so that you can see how "easy" it is once you get the hang of it.

#7 The mirrors retract with the touch of a button for easy parking in your garage. I found this out weeks later.

Lastly have FUN... it is a awesome automobile that will provide years of enjoyment and maintenance free operation .....at least for the first 4 years :)!!
    Thanks for that information! It is greatly appreciated! If you think of anything else please posted it!
    I don't know how to post a picture. If you send me directions I will surely post a picture because my car is absolutely awesome. It was special ordered.
    Some S class owners have mentioned a slight creak in the instrument panel area when going over large bumps. Many dealers are aware of this and can fix it quickly.
    After 30 min with the owners manuals you will know more than anyone at the dealer.
This discussion has been closed.