Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    I was talking with a fellow that has has MB's, BMW's, Lexus, etc. He said that out of all of the cars that the Lexus LS has probably the smoothest ride. I can believe it because with the ABC it is not a super smooth ride, but I like that connected and tight gripping feeling.

Can anybody that has had a Lexus confirm this or compare it to a S with ABC and Airmatic. Which was the smoothest? Maybe I will go down to Lexus dealer and test the LS430.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    We also have an S500 and did not get the electronic trunk closer. However, the license plate trunk handle that Mercedes sells should help you close the trunk. We bought an E430 before this and purchased it separately so when we got our S500, we asked the dealer to throw it in. It makes closing the trunk MUCH easier.

It's available on the MBUSA.com website or you can get it from any dealer. It costs $19.00.

• paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Yes, the Lexus suspension is dead quiet, like the Rolls'. But so is my sofa!

As for isolation. There is still some chassis noise in the Ls430. The wind brushing the side windows is louder vs. my S500. Rattles and creaks are less in the LS. Japanese engineers use a softer and quieter form of plastic /rubber for their interiors. But then again, those Lincoln Town Cars are quiet too. My point is this. A BMW 7 series or the S Class will be more exciting to drive, maybe a little more loud, a little more rough, but it'll give you more pleasure driving, makes you want to get into it, and 100+ years of German engineering is packed neatly in some of the most beautiful packages around. Maybe the only better all around sports sedan is the new Audi S8L and then you'll have to get the Bentleys.
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    So, are you saying that the airmatic's sport mode, being stiffer, can also delete 95% of body roll during high G cornering? The fact that ABC has undul ride harshness has had me thinking also that the air sspension would be the better way to go.
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the tip about the Mequiar's Car wax. It is better than the show room wax. I would strongly encourage everyone to try this wax. It is very inexpensive.

Thanks
    Found my first ding on my S500 tonight! The twilight ran unevenly on the tip of my hood and revealed a hairline ding. Wondering what caused it, as no paint was missing...

oh well!
    That is funny, when I went out to dinner tonight with my parents their car got a nice big swipe on the bumper. Nobody left a note, so they will have to call the insurance people to replace the bumper. Darn.
    Nothing stays perfect! We all get old. Things break. Relationships can part. Then everyone dies.

Sorry for such bleak news on a sunday morning.

Have a nice day anyway!

PS. Guess I'll have to get a new car now....lol
  • pfiorentinopfiorentino Member Posts: 26
    taison,

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely pick one up. That will help.

benznut,

I do not think the standard suspension on its stiffest setting will have the same very limited amount of body roll, dive, and squat that the ABC suspension has at high speeds, but it will FEEL even more sports car-like. ABC was specifically designed to combat body motions and it works well. Among other things, it allows one to corner faster while keeping your passengers from having the sensation that you're going to keel over! It's a neat trick, often surprising other drivers trailing me who don't see any body roll from the giant S class sedan in front of them on the exit ramp and think they can keep up.

So, the standard suspension set to the firmest setting won't be quite as wonderful in that regard, but if I recall correctly from my test drive, it still feels absolutely razor sharp and quick even if there is a bit more lean. But be warned: It's meant only for the smoothest roads at that setting. Encountering any kind of frost heave or medium sized bump will induce significant axle hop and a corresponding loud bang inside the car.

I don't think ABC would be as noticeably harsh to you if you are never in urban areas. If you live in an upscale suburb, and that and highways are where you do the vast majority of your driving, I suspect you'd think my criticisms are excessive and that the trade off is more than worthwhile for the high speed stability that ABC imparts. But to me, I want and need a car that's ready for anything, because I go everywhere with it. So a supple suspension is a must. My ABC equipped car only fulfills that requirement two-thirds of the time, unfortunately.

So, now I wonder if the standard suspension would have met my needs better (and saved me $2900). I'm especially annoyed that when I called M-Benz technical support in Montvale prior to ordering the car (and prior to some of these magazine reviews), the rep said that ABC was MORE necessary for urban driving. At the time I remember thinking that the guy was an idiot, and I probably should have called back and tried to get another tech. In hindsight, I've concluded that the reps are probably instructed not to discourage buyers from adding profitable options to the car.

Of course, the low profile tires with their very stiff sidewalls that come with the AMG package on my car don't help at all -- though I note that Car & Driver also made mention of the ABC suspension's harshness in their drive of the CL600 w/o the AMG package.
    I would agree that ABC is not the best when it comes to smoothness, but I for some strange reason, get a naushaus feeling when I am in a very very smooth riding car like the Town car. I usually keep my car in Sport mode for the even tougher ride. I would recommend ABC for people that like that harsher ride and that more "connected" feeling. If you want the smooth ride, I would not recommend it.
  • rexualrexual Member Posts: 17
    Are you related to mrman_3K2? If so, help me out with the Keyless-Go situation. How were you/he able to get Smythe to put it on for you? My dealer can't even enter the option into the ordering system even though there is a part # and price listed in their option sheet. Thanks.
    The other merman alias was my other account on a temporary computer which had a problem and I lost the password. Anyway, the story is a long one to how I got the Key less go. I will not say it all now, but basically it was luck, I had a friend in Germany that has some "connections" with MB, and somehow they were able to get my car much much ahead of the rest. I like the system, but it would be neat if it had a screen with more options. If you want the whole story, just tell me and I can email you.
  • rexualrexual Member Posts: 17
    mrman, I got a build date from my dealer so any info you can get me would be useful. Please email me your story. Love to hear all about it. Thanks. rexual168@hotmail.com
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    I must be one of the few without the ABC option on an S500. The adjustable settings are great, and I find that I am using the softest setting now that I have the summer (18" AMG wheels) wheels and tires on. During the winter, with 16" winter tires, I tended to keep the suspension ion the middle setting so that the ride was less "mushy".
    Anyone knows anything on this? my hood ding is very minute, near the rounded top portion to the right of the 3 star logo.
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    Yes, I've done this before on a volvo I owned and the results were very impressive. For about $100 you can make it like new again. Look in the yellow pages under automotive, and then dent removal. Dealerships also provide this service, and so do bodyshops, but at a markup to what you would pay by going direct. They will often travel to your location as well.
    Has anyone else had the irritating rattle from the "sliding drawer" underneath the LCD display? Apparently there is special grease that Mercedes uses to help the drawer move so smoothly. That is the only rattle, so I hate to take the car in just for that. I guess it becomes a question of what is most irritating, the rattle, or the trip down to the dealer
    the noise on my S600 is not from the drawer door, it's from the wood panel circling the auto-shift stick. Next time you hear noise, press down on the wood panel near the edge area where the drawer door strikes. Let me know if the noise goes away by that.

I found that the dealer has no solution for this problem. Drives me crazy too... maybe I'll look into the LS430 after all....
    So far with my S600, I have been very luck and not had any problems with noises and rattles. I hope it stays that way, but sooner or later I know it will begin the noises.
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Anyone know when exactly the mercedes Maybach is due out? I currently own a 2001 S600 which has an excellent V-12 and power, i have all the options, no complaints. I was just curious about the maybach because it looks great and i love all the standard features. im guessing around 2003 it will be out, but its just a guess. Thank you
  • hfrankelhfrankel Member Posts: 18
    OK - first real problem with my 2001 S500 with integrated phone option. Suddenly lost my speakerphone capability (can hear caller, but they can't hear me). Nothing is on Mute, so i'm perplexed.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Dealer says they'll hook the car up to the IBM Thinkpad diagnostic tool, but i would doubt that they can readily trace this one with a laptop computer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    ...for "Most beautiful premium class car of the year". The M-class took the "most beautiful off-roader of the year" award.

Check it out:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/autonis.html

Might well be a legit problem, but I believe there are two ways to mute the phone, one by pressing the mouse button while scrolling over the mute, and then of course the mute button on the console. My guess is that this is not the problem, as it would probably reset itself each time you started the car. Does the mute feature (FCN + Mute) work with the phone out of its cradle? A simple way to see if it is the phone or the wiring in the car...

With the bill on the table today to make hands-free usage of phones mandatory, it it looking like those of us who bought the phone and CD package look pretty good!
  • mercfriendmercfriend Member Posts: 1
    I've seen new (2001) S320 models outside of the US....Does anyone know if MB has any plans to market this model in the US?

Thanks
    only in Asian and certain European markets...
  • 67chevelle67chevelle Member Posts: 1
    i used to work at phoenix motor company and i have to say that the abc, abs, and the engine works damn well for as heavy a car as the S is. i would do burnouts jump the cars off the ramp going up to the roof where they park the new cars. hell as soon as the brand new cars came in i would check their rpm governor. damn its cool to thrash such an expensive car!!

sidewinder
    One word for you - karma
    I suspect this is a normal phenomenon, but just to be sure...

My S500 sits at different heights at various times. After returning from a trip, and parking in my garage, it is at one of its highest points. A few minutes later it is a little lower, and if I come back to check the following morning, it looks like a low-rider. Is this common or is there something afoot here?

I guess it could be some idiot car-wash kid at the dealer jumping it off the roof. BTW - I am curious as to how he claims he did a burnout, I've tried a time or two and couldn't make it happen with the ASR engaged!
    I would like to know, do people at the dealer play with the cars before they deliver them to customers? I would be very mad to know that my car that was over $100K was bounced around and driven off the roof by some kid at the dealer. Anyway, if anybody knows how to tell if this happened or a way to prevent it, please post it. Thanks.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I' dont know if anyone played around with our cars but they better not! I know our dealer doesnt let some kid play with 100K cars in his lot. They have been open for 10 years and they already have a huge rep that they cannot afford to ruin.

When I was at the BMW dealership testing the new M3 (nice!) I heard horror stories from my local dealer, not the regualar one I use. Evidently one of the testees (who was reminded not to) took the M3 above 6500RPM and was going about 120 down the express way. That is no way to test drive a car. I know that it is the nature of the beast but that is no excuse, not to mention that the car was a demo and destined to be someone's car. I dont care if it is a BMW, MB, JAg, Audi, new or used.

Yes it does happen. But I give my dealer specific directions that no one is to test drive the car. Wether it happens is a question, but we have always gotten ours cars with very few miles. My next car, I expect to see it in wraps when it comes off the truck and inspect it before it gets dismantled and inspected by the dealer.

I guess it is the samve about what goes on behind the scenes of a Fast Food Restaurant. You dont know if they spit in your food, and if you dont realize it, you dont get mad or will never know that it happened. I'm sure there are a lot of rats running around Chicago restaruant kitchens, but I just dont want to know or think about it. I believe there was an article in the Wall Street About some cop that had flem in his drink.

I apologize if anyone is grossed out, but it does happen.

Oh yeah, my father just replaced his S500 with an E55, After driving his CLK around he is disappointed with the performance (handlingwise) of the E55.

Robert
  • hehehehehehehehe Member Posts: 4
    i am confused on what which one should I get.
    any opinion?
    i tried both of them. my wife like the s500 but i am not quite decided yet.
    Those are two totally different cars

The M5 will out perform, but the S-Class IMO will ouutperform in the luxury Department. The M5 is more of a sports car, very fast and ride is much more firm. The S-Class is smoother, and quieter; great for long rides, fast for the size, and quite executive. The M5 doesnt have as much room.

They represent two classes of automobile. You will have to decide which characteristic you want more. What type of driver is the primary driver?! The M5 is more connected with the road. I would much prefer the M5 over the 7-series BMW, and I would say the S500 over the 7-series, but I have yet to test drive the new 760i (?)

Robert
    thanks for your input robert
    actually i am considering those two car based on the price, the m5 with mark up is almost the same price as S500.
    I guess my question is is M5 woth US$100k? or i should just get the s500 instead?
    I dont know where you are shopping but 100K for an M5 is WAY too much. You can get a new M5, or virtually new 700 Miles 01 for 76,9K from my dealer. If you want the details, contact me at AMG@exconde.com. He will even ship it to your door.

100K for the S-class is about right i you have a lot of the options on it.
    100K S-class and 100K M5 . . . .

Get the S-Class
    thank you robert for you opinion..
    what do you like about the s class..
    by the how much more expensive is CL500?
    and is it hard to get?
    There is really no way you can prevent this; (having your car demo or play with by someone else, before you take delivery) my advise is to pick it up asap, or have your dealership give you their word that they won;t let anyone touch it.

But this is really tough, as the service guys still need to 'prep' it before pick up; and these guys are really the ones that will play with your new S. Unless they scatch the paint or leather seats; you shouldn't worry. It's hard to damage something this well made.
    Now I need to give a brief and short overvew of how I feel about these cars. Believe me I could go on...and on...and on.

IMO in terms of comparison
    S-class should be compared to the 7-Series (S55/ummm..) (S500/740il - S600/750il)
    E-Class should be compared to the 5-Series (E55/M5)
    C-Class to the 3-Series (C32/M3)
    ML v. X (ML55/X54.6)
    CLK55 v. M3

(+)
    S-Class (S500)
    Think Suit with a press pass to meet the president!
    Refined
    Smoother ride
    Luxurious/elegant
    ABC, ESP, ETS,
    Cheaper to maintain
    EXCELLENT SAFTEY!
    Prestige
    Bettter Residual Value
    Image has changed not necessarily for the older people only!!!!!
    Bullet proof design, plus you can get it in Bulletproof Metal/Glass!
    More luxury Options (ie the S can be a four seater only, with a rear middle console
    Moreso concerned with safety (higher on the list, also in my personal and father's experience!, also seen from the MB-Protect line how serious they take it)
    TONS of cool gadgets to play with (this is a plus on my list, there are complaints about how complex it is but I'm a gadget nut)

E-Class (E55) - I'm waiting to drive my fathers when I get home, I'll let you know then...IMO I would take the M5 between the E55 and the M5

5-Series (M5)
    Think Suit with a race helmet!
    MT (!)
    DSC, ASR (plus you can turn them totally OFF!)
    very connected and sporty handling
    Cheaper
    FAST!
    Nowadays, not too much more expensive to maintain than the MB
    Tweakable
    EXCELLENT SAFTEY!
    Great Car Club
    Good Residual Value

7-Series (740i)
    Think Suit and gun! (007 )
    DSC, ASR, etc
    more connected and sporty
    Cheaper
    Nowadays, not too much more expensive to maintain than the MB
    luxurious
    Watch "The Hire" http://www.bmwfilms.com its a good example of what you can do, not that you ever would :)
    Model Change NExt year
    EXCELLENT SAFTEY!
    Great Car Club

(-)
    S-Class
    Poor navigation system!!!
    Car Club really Sux!
    A bit more sway than the 7 Series and 5 Series, but can be resolved for the most part with the ABC

5-Series (M5)
    harsher ride
    MT (ohh the city traffic)
    Smaller than the 7 or the S-class

7-Series (740i)
    Higher depreciation
    Model change over next year
    harsher ride
    noisier, but it is also the noise from the ride that gives you the feedback

As far as the CL goes it seems that you are looking for a 4-door. But I highly recommend it. We had one and it was blast to drive, you get the elegance, power, unique looks, handling and the comfort, along with the crappy navigation system.
    You will be on a waiting list for at least a year, but it is well worth the wait, But dont pay anything over sticker for it. There are plenty of dealers that will sell for sticker if you can wait.
    Here is our CL500http://www.exconde.com/cl500.htm

Again an AWESOME car. but oddly my father who is retired is now wanting the firmer ride and and sporty handling sold it for the CLK55, a much more fun toy. And its Cheap.

There are various configurations avalable for these cars so I recommend that you visit their respective sites and price a car out to your liking. The S-class has a varience of about $15K, and the 7-Series as well, but the S is priced higher. But you really do get what you pay for. And you may ask why I hate the navigation on these cars, its because they use multiple discs to chart the US. The german companies need to take a lesson from Lexus on this one.

Again, IMO... I think that you would be a canditate for an S55 based on your conflict. The S-class with the MB class, luxury, elegance, impressive handling, and the extra power to boot! You get all the options that you want on the S-class as well.

Robert

any chance we could get a peek at your garage, seems you have some fine vehicles!

Robert
  • 1967chevelle1967chevelle Member Posts: 1
    Like Paulchiu said "It's hard to damage something this well made". When I would "jump" the cars it was only a few inches the wheels would come off the ground. I wasnt launching the cars ten feet into the air, it was just a little harmless play. In regards to Scargo160quick's claim of not being able to do a burnout even with the ASR disengaged, it is very easy to do. Find some pavement thats not too rough and not to smooth and you will get a burnout with loads of smoke. Ive tried this in many C,S,E,CLK,SLK 320s and they all do it with ease. Just to settle everyone down, i never once put a dent into any of the cars i drove.

sidewinder
    Dents are now easy to fix, via paintless dent removal services. Just hope that the paint is intact and you should be ok.
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Member Posts: 48
    My key stop working to day. I called the SOS and they said something like,"it had to be reprogramed". Has anyone else had this problem? The key will not open the car or close the car doors, but no problems starting the car. This is no fun at all not knowing whether or not the car will be locked or open. ALL INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    Did you try changing the batteries?
    Did you try re-sync'ing the keys? That might work too, at least temporarily.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I know I should not have done this, but last night I was going to pick some things up from a store and I was getting onto the highway. There were not too many people on the road and I was minding my business until these young kids in their brand new low rider, noisy, etc. Mustang zoomed past me and were gesturing to me to try and beat them since I took off from the off ramp fairly quick. They thought since I had the huge S600 that their little car could beat me since the S is much heavier and usually associated with older people. So I turned the ABC to Sport and hit the accelerator, it was the funniest thing to see their faces because the 2 ton S passed the low riding and noisy Mustang with all of that secondary equipment with ease. Anyway I left the highway and did my thing and went home, but I will never forget their faces when I made them look like they were crawling.
    What did you Expect?

They probably went home crying!

:)
This discussion has been closed.