Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    You actually tried?

How many times did it take for you to drive Nekked in your S and notice that the seat was getting dirty?

;0

Interesting.

Robert
  • mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    I would definetly caution anybody that is getting the Designo Silver because it is a very light color and everybody including myself that gets in is always clean and not dirty. I am very careful and try not to get it dirty, but it is just the normal "dirtiness" that happens. It is not that bad, just that original "brightness" is basically gone. I am sure if I cleaned it, it would look like new, but I want someone qualified after paying almost an extra $10K for that color. I know the salesman at the dealer warned me about this but I really liked the picture in the brochure. Anyway, any tips or people you know of to clean the leather, please post it. Thanks.
  • duopshebobduopshebob Member Posts: 9
    I love my 2001 Brilliant Silver S430 which my husband and I purchased in Nov.2000. We broke it in immediately with a drive from Scottsdale to Los Angles. It is the ultimate in luxury and comfort and drives like a dream! Everyone that sits in the back seat can't believe how much room is back there. Everyone ooh's and ah's over the GPS Nav Sys and the voice activation. The best part for me is when I have to go somewhere new, I can just get in the car, program it, and off I go.
    The problem I am experiencing is a pause in the sound system, or several. Whether the radio is on or the CD player, I get hiccups where the sound just stops. Sometimes for a few seconds and the longest was for 2 minutes. This is VERY FRUSTRATING and IRRITATING. I have the factory installed phone but this happens when the phone is or isn't connected. The dealer tried to tell me that I have a phone message hung up in the system (which I don't) because I rarely even attach the phone to the car. I have been told that they are waiting for a software update and have no idea when it will arrive. They admitted to us they knew this problem existed , but never told us about it before we purchased the car. We were now told the more bells and whistles we have, the more that can go wrong. So, now we are waiting for a supposed software update.
    The other problem is that all of a sudden we have a dirty sock odor, or ammonia smell comming from the air conditioner. The dealer says that because we live in Arizona, mold grows at the bottom of the AC unit and they have to spray a disinfectant in there to kill it and therefore the smell. They say this will re-occur and this will be an ongoing problem. So, they have sprayed the stuff, and now sometimes we have a odor like ammonia, sometime we smell the disinfectant (which actually smells good.. like strawberries) and sometimes no odor at all. The service manager told me it would help to turn the air conditioner off about 5 minutes before I arrive home to help minimize this effect. I DON'T THINK SO!!! H-E-L-L-O ??? I live in Arizona??? 120 degrees in the summer??????
    Now you tell me why I should have to put up with this CARP in a car that cost $85,000 out the door??
    Has anyone else experienced similar problems?? If so, please advise possible solutions! Thanks for reading this. Since I just joined the forum, I don't know if there are any other messages pertaining to either of these problems. Maybe someone can help me out in that respect.
    In my last posting #703, the spell checker changed my word "CRAP" to CARP. I will put up with fish such as Carp...but not CRAP.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    He said to turn off the A/C so that the fan can at least blow out some of the condensation out of the evaporator. That is what causes your mold and the damp smell when you first start up. It doesn't affect just the S-class but all vehicles with A/C. Personally what I do is turn the A/C off when I'm about a minute from home and then turn the fan to a high speed. This helps to increase the rate of evaporation. Problem solved!

Your other alternative is just to put up with the smell for the first couple of minutes of the trip the next day. You can also try spraying Lysol yourself into the air intake (with the fan running at maximum speed and A/C off) to get rid of the smell. Open all of the windows/doors though and don't sit in there immediately after :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    First off, you're right, no one paying $85K should have to deal with cut-outs in the audio, or vile smells coming from the air conditioning.

But what's worse, from what you say, is the DEALER'S ATTITUDE. My advice is to call MB corporate and complain about your dealer's insulting and incompetent attitude and demand some service. You could also try another dealer altogether.

Of course not all dealers are the same, but you certainly expect better service from a Mercedes-Benz dealer.

Good luck!
    THanks for the comments. We are now dealing with the General Manager. He told us that all Mercedes Dealers have a certain procedure they are suppose to follow. Step One, Step Two .. etc...which means you end up bringing your car back 4 times for the same problem. Now that we are dealing with the General Manager, he has wisely choosen to SKIP steps 3 ,4, and 5 and jump to the nitty gritty. When I was talking about smells I meant vinegar not ammonia. Anyway, we are bringing the car in tomorrow and he is going to remove the Charcoal filter for a few days to see if that makes a difference. He said that Mercedes thinks this filter may be part of the problem. They originally thought it was a little sponge at the end of the drainage tube that absorbs the water and then dries up. Turned out that wasn't it. So, the charcoal filter is the next step. He said while that filter is out, we will be getting MORE COLD AIR than ever from the blower (fine with me). We will see how that works. He also says this problem is unique to extremely dry climates. It would seem to me to be more prevelent to have mold in a humid climate, like HAwaii, where we lived for 3 years. We had a Ford and a VW there and had NO PROBLEMS!
    As far as the sound system, for some reason they are thinking it has something to do with the software of the phone talking to the software in the car. (Or not talking). HE asked me if my phone had a green readout which it does. Its the little silver Motorola Timeport. To me, with all my electronic knowledge(none), it sounds like its a loose wire or connector somewhere, since it started on our trip to LAX the first week we had the car and its intermittent. I asked the General MAnager why they couldn't look at the whole system, to see if thats a possibility. Well, at least the dealer is addressing the problems now!!! Thats all I can ask!! They didn't build the car . SO, I guess I must be patient. They are finally trying to help.
    sally
    Glad you've got the 'buck stops here' guy helping you now anyway. As far as following steps 1, 2, 3, etc. that's fine but it's attitude that makes all the difference. If they try to make you seem stupid or they're indifferent to your impatience, then they know little about good customer service.

Having said that, it would surely be better, faster and cheaper in the long run to do ALL the darned steps to try to make you happy than drag you through this kind of experience and potentially turn you off the dealer and even the car at some point.

My dealer has made mistakes (ordered a wrong part or not in fact fixed something), but the attitude of my service advisor is so good that I still have good things to say about the dealer as a whole.

As for checking all the wiring in the stereo/phone system that's easier said than done in today's tight spaces! That might involve taking the entire dash apart, removing seats, etc.

Can't you just not use the phone or have it permanently disconnected from the car and see if the audio problem persists?

Anyway, good luck.
    I can say that the MB dealer that I go to, Smythe European, has excellent service and is very patient and accommodating with me and my cars. The sales people do not operate on commission so there is none of that pushy stuff, and the service people are very knowledgeable and great to work with. I know this is not the case everywhere, but I just wanted to make sure you know that there are good MB dealers because I have mainly seen complaints on the forums.
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    1. If you're not entirely happy with the General Manager and would like to go a step up, there is also a regional rep you can discuss the problems with. It may be good to check with him on these supposedly known problems.

2. I find that most MB dealers are not very familiar with the Timeport phone and would often blame the phone system. If I were in your shoes, I would ask them to put in a new radio unit and see if the problem persists as a first step.

3. I use a CDMA Timeport with a non-COMAND stereo on an E-class 2001. The green/blue/orange readout means it's a CDMA phone. If you need help, Motorola has a special telematics division dealing with BMW & MB phones. Call Brian Carlson at 1-847-907-7917 for additonal clarification on known system bugs if they truly exist.

4. The only time the radio will mute is when I receive an incoming call with the phone attached. Since you have GPS, I wonder if your cut off has anything to do with the voice prompts?

Good luck.
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    Did you check your voicemail? There is a pause in the system when you have a message waiting. Same thing happened to me at first and it freaked me out. Check this first before replacing software. Good luck and congrats on owning such a great car.

I
  • sean2gsean2g Member Posts: 17
    This is the one year update that MT did on the S500 Sport, the pic of it is so sweet. http://www.motortrend.com/june01/s500/s500_f.html A regular S looks quite large, not fat, sort of hefty without the sport package. Does anyone have chromed AMG rims with their sport package??? Do they come chromed, or the dealer did it, how is the chrome look?

S

• is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    Mrman_31k, who is your service advisor at Smythe? I need to find a GOOD dealer service, because the service advisors at my dealership are really bad. Absolutely NO follow through, they don't listen to what you are saying, don't know the status, etc. If you have a great service advisor, I'd like to know. Thanks.
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    Large and PHAT!

Guess i like with and without sport. If I had it to do over again I'm not sure which I would choose. My S500 is non-sport.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing

BTW - chrome wheels are dealer-installed accessory. Should be a simple markup, since they can keep the standard AMG wheels (original) as a "core", ie. replacement.
  • mbc6mbc6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question . I was looking at buying a 1989 420 SEL. The car is owned by the original owner and has always been dealer maintained. The car has 168,000 miles on it. I was looking to make this my daily driver. They are asking just under $10,000 for it. I would like to know how reliable this motor is, with this many miles on it? can the vehicle make it another 100K with no major motor work. Does anyone have any history with this motor?
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    On a trip to Long Island this morning, I averaged 25.7 MPG for 23 miles in my S500. ABC off and standard ride height, with windows all closed and A/C on. Average speed was 49 MPH.

This was the first time I averaged anything higher than 22 MPG on a trip.

I had 2 passengers and the temp was 76 degrees with wind 5-10 mph....
  • hfrankelhfrankel Member Posts: 18
    First it was the Active Body Control warning light coming on.. which necessitated a new ignition switch and programming (hard to believe).

Then the hands-free speakerphone (integrated phone option) stopped working. Dealer replaced the phone, phone cable, and 2 black boxes in the trunk. Still can't find the problem (it's not the microphone).

And the final straw..... i opened my garage today to find my S500 leaning on one side (like a flat tire). Started the car and get a RED ABC warning message that the car is too low. I was ticked.

Now get this .. I called Mercedes roadside assistance and was on hold for 10 minutes.. only to find out that Mercedes DOES NOT provide towing as part of the Roadside Assist program. I'm dumbfounded over this. They did say that I would "probably be reimbursed" if the problem is under warranty (i would guess that a brand new car leaning on it's side would have a warranty issue to begin with).

To be honest... i've lost faith in Mercedes and the quality of their product. I don't want to worry that my wife is out driving a car that might decide to "reboot" on the highway... or require a laptop computer to get it "restarted".

Anybody else experiencing these kinds of issues?
    Sorry to hear your problems with your S. The only problem I had with the ABC was a red message a month ago telling me to drive carefully. The Benz tele-aid girl told me to just shut off the engine and restart; which got rid of the message. She said that things like this could be due to a slow computer. And if the car dirves; things ought to be all right. Not very reassuring, but the car had no mechanical problems after that.

You know! These days, it's very hard to get good customer satisfaction anywhere, no matter how much you spend on things. With corporate cutbacks on personnel and processes, customer support everywhere is the first thing that suffers. That's a slowing economy for you.
    I had the same ABC warning light on my S500. It always went away when i restarted the car, but the real solution was replacing my ignition switch and reprogramming the software for the key. There's a Mercedes bulletin out on this problem. Hard to believe that the switch (and its' programming ) was the problem.. but it was.

By the way -- when the tow truck arrived this am, and he started my car.. the sagging front end rose to the right height. So... there's obviously a problem,and I HOPE the dealer can trace it.

Stay tuned...
  • sean2gsean2g Member Posts: 17
    new 7 series pictures on Supercars.net http://www.supercars.net/SDBQ?y=2002&m=BMW%20&o=745i
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    To my opinion and judging by the above photos, Mercedes S Class has nothing to be worried about as far as being outstyled by the BMW. that is not considering material quality or performance.
    My initial reaction was: ummm A Japanese luxury sedan? An Infiniti? Also looks like a Passat.
    Take a look at the offical BMW AG site at

http://www.bmw.com/e65/

The technology on this car trumps the S-Class by leaps and bounds. I hated the car when I first started seeing spy pics, but have grown to admire it. I think it will look much better, more impressive when seen in person. I think it will be more akin to the old W140, which is what BMW designed it to, not the W220. That is why they were shocked to see the sleek W220. But I do believe the interior materials on this car will also trump the W220. "This is not your dads BMW" might be an appropriate term. :-)

Frankly, I think the new BMW continues the typical German Teutonic styling. Mercedes has chosen to soften it's edges more, more like a Japanese auto.

Just my humble opinion, please no rants and raves.

Does look nice, but really breaks no new ground; as it still looks very much like the old 7 series. Just a bit rounder; like the 5 series.

The S class, on the other hand, was totally revamped from 1999 to 2000.

I do agree with some that said BMW 7 series are sturdier, more solidly built than the S class. Especially true with the 750il, it's very close to the silence one come to expect from a Lexus flagship.

The S class has too many plastic interior parts that rattles, jiggles, and behave in an unbecoming manner.

But I cannot think of a better car to drive from New York to Wash D.C. at night with no traffic than my S class.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • chapman7chapman7 Member Posts: 23
    If MB is smart they will make sure that the 2002 models have upgraded parts to replace the cheap plastic knobs, trays, etc. With the new state of the art BMW 7 series on the way for 2002 the comparison will be very hard on MB if they have not addressed the problem that so many have complained about. We'll see if they can react in a timely manner. The third model year should be ample time to address this issue.
  • pfiorentinopfiorentino Member Posts: 26
    I like them both. I've had both in the last year, and spent a fair amount of time in 750iLs. They're different. It's trite but true: The BMW is sportier and has a younger image; the S Class exudes more luxury and prestige, and feels more solid and safe.

I don't think BMW build quality is any better than current M-B quality, and it was light years behind my earlier year SLs (1991 and 1995). Those cars were built the way M-B used to build 'em -- heavy, solid, and unbreakable. My wife's '97 740i and previous 735iL weren't even remotely close.

As for M-B's starting to look more Japanese, I think you have that reversed. There was nothing on the road at all that resembled the new S Class...until the Lexus LS430 came along. And even then, the LS 430 has merely appropriated styling cues (tail lights, grill, headlights, etc.) while getting the overall shape hopelessly wrong. The LS430 is a frumpy looking hodge podge of a car stylistically, at best, but when you just catch a glimpse of one pulling away at a light between trucks, for example, the tail lamp can fool you into thinking for a moment that it's an S Class.

That is not a compliment to one's desgin staff, in my judgment. Say what you wish about the new Lexus SC430, on the other hand -- and I personally think it's unattractive -- at least it's fresh and quite original. It will never be mistaken for anybody else's car. It's a mostly honest design, if ill-conceived (just my opinion).

Too bad about that fellow who's having all the problems with his S Class. My E500 gave me fits such as that, too. Eventually, they iron themselves out I think you'll find, unless you're unlucky enough to have a real lemon, which does happen on occasion. An M-B salesman was recently telling me a story about a customer's ABC equipped car that the dealer had to buy back because M-B simply couldn't fix it. Anyway, at least they did the right thing when things became dire.
  • sillydriversillydriver Member Posts: 7
    Having just joined this discussion group I see some posts concerning the Designo Silver package. For the last several months I've owned a Designo Silver S500 with ABC and all the other bells and whistles. While it's true that the interior is prone to scuffing - particularly the light-colored carpeting lining the footwells - the interior is IMHO absolutely gorgeous, so that I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone willing to spend the money. It's every bit as pretty in real life as in the brochure.

Separately, I also occasionally experience the red "drive carefully" ABC warning when I start the car. Shutting the engine and restarting makes it go away. I wasn't planning to do anything about it, but now that I've read here that it's a common problem with a known fix I'm kind of miffed that Mercedes hasn't taken the initiative to recall the car for the necessary reprogramming, rather than waiting for everyone to bring their cars in under warrantee.
    I'm not sure if it's grounds for a recall. Recalls generally involve major safety issues (ex. wheels coming off, or seatbelts malfunctioning) and generally involve the NHTSA as well.

Drew
    Host
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Member Posts: 48
    I had to replace my smart key twice. What is the problem with the keys? The keys that I have had are not the smart. They are ordering new keys. Does anyone how long is the process?
  • mblovermblover Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get some detailed info for my dad who is going to buy a '02 Canadian S430 LWB. I am trying to get info on such optional equipment as keyless go, distronic, rear A.C., etc.

Can anyone give me some feedback about these or other optional items. Do you like the feature, does it work well, is it user friendly, would you order the item again, what problems have you had with the item, how long have you had the car.

Thanks
    I've really enjoyed having Distronic on my S500, although I admittedly take pleasure in gadgets for their own sake. On lightly to moderately congested highways it does a great job of keeping pace with the car ahead. When you move into a clear lane to pass the car briskly accelerates to the maximum speed set earlier. It is not so good on more heavily congested highways because drivers will slip into the space it tries to maintain between you and the car ahead. Distronic then puts on the brakes, dangerously backing you into the car behind you. This is particularly an issue here in the Boston area, where drivers will cut into any hole in traffic longer than a car length and the driver behind you is right on your bumper.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    I haven't had any problems with my keys, but the dealer could not find one of the keys at delivery. The parts guy ordered another one for me and it arrived in one day.
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    I am having trouble with EZ Pass automatic tall reader with my 2001 S500. I mounted the EZ Pass right behind the rear view mirror, about 1 1/2 inch below the blackened shielded area of the windshield. Can anybody help?

Thanks,
    George
    I have nearly all if not all of the extra options on my S600 and I love them all. Now if you do not like gadgets and technology, then I would not get them, but if you like it then you should, you will not regret it.
    You ARE the man - S600 - very cool.

I'm still trying to figure out what makes an S600 look better than an S500. Is it sprung lower, or has bigger wheels/tires? Somehow it looks better.
    Its the little but mighty V12 on the side of the S600....

Robert
  • paul422paul422 Member Posts: 3
    My dad had some problems with the EZ Pass in his car. He called them and they sent him a different shape black EZ pass for the front license plate area. Hope this helps.
    My Speedpass (similar to EZ pass) works if you hold it or mount it against the shaded area behind the mirror, not below it.
    I use the front plate method too, here in NYC.
    I mount it at the bottom of the plate.
    Thanks for the timely responses. Eric, I think you're right. The EZ pass probably needs to be "against" or "on" the shaded area behind the rear view mirror. I finally consulted the owner's manual pp. 194. What MB does for the 2001 S class is that the windshield is a special type that reflects infrared light. There are only two small areas that are transparent to the infrared. However, the photo illustration of the area 1 is confusing. It appears to be on the right and left sides of the shaded area. I'll do some testing on the road tomorrow. I'll report the result.
    I believe that MB and BMW have an area of the Windshield that is made for these devices. They actually have a section of some sort of film that is cutout to allow signals to pass through.

I think that it is supposed to block UV rays. On the BMW there is an actual cutout on the front lower center for radar detectors and EZ pass devices, etc. If you look real carefuly on a BMW you can see the cutout.

I believe that MB has the same thing but I cant tell where it is. It seems to be fairly concealed. Look on the lower center of the Front Windshield, look really carefully.

I believe that this was made for radar detectors..... Wonder why one of those are necessary on these cars :)

Robert
    Just got my car back after 3 days in the shop for a "dropped front end". Dealer replaced the ABC strut that decided to drop after the car sat for 10 days in my garage. They mentioned that the diagnostic computer code says that it's "within normal range" for the Airmatic and/or ABC suspension to do that after prolonged non-use. I find that a bit hard to believe.

The other problem (caller can't hear me on integrated speakerphone) isn't fixed yet. They need to replace a crimped cable that's actually built into the main console... and will need to replace the entire console at the same time (to avoid crimping the new cable).

So - i'm not happy about these problems..but i am pleased with the dealer's response in figuring out the issues and getting it fixed.

By the way - another 2001 S500 Designo Edition was in the shop. Car had produced a fault code that indicated a problem with the "fly by wire" accelerator sensor. Get this -- the factory rep ordered the main master wiring harness to be replaced. When I saw the car, the front/back seats, carpet, console, and everything in the trunk was out of the car. A frightful thing to see (gave me a real appreciation for the amount of wires in my vehicle). The car had been in for a week, and they expected another day to complete.

If this happens to me (or something similar)..I'm through with high tech cars and will look for a Japanese product...at least they know how to handle electronics.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I got a cdn. SWB S430 in June '99 (MY2000), and just took delivery of a 2001 S500 with sport package. I intend to change this to a 2003 S500 or S55.You must take into account that rumour has it, that the 2003 s class will have some exterior changes, increased horsepower, and significant technological changes. That's why there are no body or mechanical changes between model years 2001 and 2002. Would you consider waiting for the 2003 model?
  • chapman7chapman7 Member Posts: 23
    If the rumors have any validity to them and can be verified somehow then I would say wait for the 2003 model to get the upgrades. However, I find it hard to believe that MB is going to wait until 2003 to correct the problems that have been appearing on a regular basis in this chat forum.
    If MB chooses to ignore these issues until the 2003 model then they truly have their heads in the sand and maybe you should consider a Lexus.
    Sorry to hear about your problems with our S500. I went through some pains with my CL500, the seatbelt, the instrument cluster and the door trim popping up, the fuel pump going out. The service actually did a good job getting them resolved, but going through the process and having a LOUSY service advisor made it very unpleasant, and they did scratch some stuff, gouged a panel under the car which they say I cannot prove they did it, so it is my responsibility. It is a pretty small gouge so not going to worry about it for now.

Frankly, if I started having continual problems with the ABC, which at 3,000 miles is doing fine, I would not hesitate to get rid of it, as much as I love the style and the ride. It would also be my last Mercedes.

I have had tremendous good luck with my 740,and would definitely consider the new 745Li. So my CL better listen up and behave itself. :-)

Please keep the board posted how your fix is going for your ABC. I am very interested in it.

Yes, I would be horrified to see all the interior bits taken out like you described. I just don't believe they go back in as well as they might from the factory.
    I drove up to Albany NY via NY thruway today. The EZ Pass worked after I mounted it "against" or "on" the shaded area(owner's manual pp. 194) as Eric suggested. One additional benefit of this location is that the pass becomes inconspicuous which is very nice. Thank you again, Eric.
    I can't believe my good fortune. I was called by a research company to evaluate 3 automobiles. I had an inkling that it might be the new BMW. :-)

The three cars were Lexus LS430, MB S430 and the BMW 745i.

I have to say right off, the car looks much better in person than it does in photos. Though the trunklid still looks just a bit awkward, it definitely looks better in person.

I will try to recall all the details that I can.

The headlamps are bi-xenon and have the "halo" effect like the 2001 5-series. VERY cool.

The 745i bases at 71,650. Which is significantly more than the current 7-series. That includes the usual stuff, including an "active" type suspension. The car they had there was FULLY loaded. Had auto door closers, the trunk was auto open and close and was a sight to behold. I DEFINITELY would want that. It is just amazing to watch.

The best way I can describe the interior is that it is like sitting in a living room full of Italian furniture. With this interior, BMW has definitely taken a high-tech path to luxury. It definitely has a luxurious feel, but if you think of Italian furniture, sleek, VERY modern, you will know what I am talking about. I think BLACK will be the best color for this interior.

Also, the standard wood has a matte finish. I would definitely upgrade to the shiny stuff. The matte is ok, but doesn't look as rich as shiny wood.

The seats are fantastic! Think of sitting in a catchers mitt, all snug and cozy. That's exactly the way it felt. The seats are just awesome, and the controls for them, which are on the side of the center console are unique. There is a rotary control and you turn it either way after selecting the portion of the seat control that you want to change. Very unique, and very effective. Of course it had the heating and cooling seats.

ANOTHER COOL feature is the rear window shades. THEY ARE ELECTRIC!! There are controls on either rear door that control the rear quarter window shade of the rear door shade. They can also be controlled from the front seat. The center console is HUGE! VERY wide, but again, very elegant in a high-tech way. When you open up the two center "armrests", it is cavernous inside. A definite improvement over my 740's armrest storage, which is non-existent. :-)

The i-Drive is FANTASTIC! It is the most amazing thing I've ever tried. Also, the center hood, which I complained about in the past as looking stupid. Well, guess what, in person it looks REALLY good. It blends in surprisingly well, and doesn't look like an add-on, which is the way it looks in the pics to me.

The rear seat passengers have a drop down mirror, like the Mercedes, except that there is only 1 and it is in the center. The other feeling that strikes me about the interior, is it is very much like a cockpit, especially with the brushed chrome overhead console.

The rear seat legroom has NOT improved on this i model. I thought maybe it would be, but with the frontseat set comfortably for a six footer, the knee room is still about the same, maybe just a tiny bit more than the current 740i.

The rear seats were also VERY comfortable, but again, it is like sitting in really comfortable leather furniture. You sit IN to the seat, not on them. It would DEFINITELY be my choice for a long-distance drive.
    When I arrived at the airport and went to pick up my car in long-term parking everything seemed fine. When I got in the car I turned it on and tried to check the latest news with the telematics, but when I clicked the SVC button, the screen went blank. Then when I clicked any other function besides the SVC on the COMAND screen, it worked. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem or if was just me because once I got home and turned the car off and back on, it worked. I do not know what was up, maybe just a little glitch, but I was just curious.

is4b2rd you are a very lucky man, is the 760i going to be long wheelbase or normal, will they have a 760Li?
This discussion has been closed.