Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I was going to post that I had posted a question over on the Talk About The Sedan Board thread about an Echo Owner's Club and that Pat had answered me that she would see about getting one established, but I see Pat beat me to the punch in announcing it here.

Thanks, Pat.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    My uncle came up to visit from florida and his rental car was a ford explorer, after sitting in the beast I now appreciate the ECHO even more with its small quirky appearance and fun ride!
  • photoboyphotoboy Member Posts: 18
    On my 2-door white, automatic Echo's third-week birthday last night the check engine light came on. A check of all the fluids showed everything OK and was surprised to find the break-in oil at 1,200 miles was still pretty clean. I usually change the engine and transmission oil at 1,000 miles, but during my inspection noted a note on the tranny check stick saying transmission fluid never needed to be changed. Hmmmmm. Only other thing I have noticed is that when the puppy is cold the coolant blue light comes on until the engine is warm and the vehicle will not shift into overdrive. If my memory serves me right, an earlier posting said that is normal. I guess I'll have to take her in to find out why the check engine light came on. What a bummer. By the way, first four tankfuls were all over 38 mpg and that includes a lot of scooting around town.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Tell us why the dealer says the check engine light came on. When the check engine light came on it generated an error code which is stored in the ECHO's computer. The dealer will connect a scan tool to your ECHO which will read out the error code. I take it the light is off now? One normally does not change the oil in an automatic transmission because only 20% of the oil can be drained out through the drain plug. The rest is in the torque converter, which would require disassembling the transmission to get at. Theres like 7 quarts of oil in it which is three times as much oil as is needed to lubricate the transmission.
  • photoboyphotoboy Member Posts: 18
    It turns out the light came on because the gas cap was not on tight enough. Apparently you have to twist it until it starts 'clicking' and you think you are breaking things off. The dealer had to reset the 'check engine' light. It was done by replacing a fuse in the fuse box. I went ahead and had the engine oil changed (1,295) miles to 5W30 Mobil 1. I'm a big fan of synthetic oils because I put so many miles on the vehicle that I don't have time to change every 3,000 miles. I change the Mobil 1 every 5,000. You are right about the transmission fluid, although there is a process offered by Toyota and those specialty lubrication shops that sucks all the transmission fluid out of the vehicle and that is probably what I will do at 30,000 miles as recommended by Toyota.
    Well, there it is: a loose gas tank cap can make your check engine light go on! Thanks for posting that, Im sure it will be valuable to ECHO owners to be aware of this! I also note in the ECHO service manual it says to REPLACE the gasket for the cap during the 30k mile maintainence interval, something the owners manual makes no mention of as I recall. Well anyway it would be a good idea to check the condition of this gasket occasionally when you fill up with gas, and its something an ECHO owner can check for themselves should the check engine light go on.
    You mentioned that the dealer replaced a fuse to reset the check engine light. Hmmm that does not sound right. I will read over the diagnostics section of the service manual and see if that is in fact how the CE light is reset. This seems to imply that a fuse is blown when the CE light goes on, that would seem to be unlikely IMHO. It may take a while as the manual is an English translation from Japanese and is not always lucid! It is my experience that dealers often have strange ways of explaining things to customers. (ie they lie!) I usually cant tell if they just dont know what the hell they are talking about or there is some other reason. But I will try to find out how you reset the CE light and get back to the list.
    The error code stored in the computer for a loose gas tank cap/or dammaged gasket on same is PO440. Basically, when this error code is displayed it means the gas tank is open to atmospheric pressure. BUT of more immediate interest is that OVERFILLING the tank can also make this error code activate (ie CE light goes on) if the check valve designed to prevent this condition fails! I think therefor that it would be wise to cease filling the tank when the nozzle clicks. Here in NJ we cant pump our own gas and the attendant usually adds more to make a round dollar figure.
    If you want to make your Japanese to English translated repair manual easier to understand, just drink lots of saki. ; )

FWIW, the gas cap not being on properly and causing the check engine light to come on is something everyone should be aware and not just Echo drivers.

Ditto for overfilling the gas tank.
    I thought I had posted this once, but the post disappeared.

My dealer's service department told me that a 15k maintenance on my Echo will cost me about $150 and will take them about one and a half to two hours to complete.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota uses a 5 year cycle for its sedans. Does anyone know if the ECHO will follow this cycle? The ECHO came out in 2000, 2002 will be its 3rd year. Usually in the 5 year cycle, the 4th year will see a refreshing. Then after 5 years, it gets a total makeover. Does anyone know if the ECHO will follow this cycle? If it does, do you know of any changes to its options. I wouldn't want to get a 2002, then have the 2003 have a much better look. EG the 2000 vs 2001 Corolla... and 1999 vs 2000 Camry what a difference a year makes!
    www.echofans.net .......would love a body kit for my baby..America should have more than just cargo nets and bug deflectors as accesories, how disappointing.
    at the Canadian toyota website www.toyota.ca that one of the accesories is aluminum dash accents does anyone have a picture of this?? I also think the striping might be a nice protectant feature, then again Ive had my echo for a year with no dents or scrapes to the doors so maybe it is not necessary....
  • echovolcanistechovolcanist Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 toyota coupe I am thinking about adding a sliding rag top which will run me about 1200.00 does any body have a sunroof moonroof sliding ragtop do you like it hate it how much did you pay...........
    Good question, I'd like to know too.
  • melody1016melody1016 Member Posts: 2
    I made the mistake of letting my teenager "help" me wax my Echo for the first time with Turtle Wax Paste Wax. It got on the black bottom body cladding and has left smear marks on the cladding.
    I called the dealership and they suggested using Windex to get it off. What do you think? Also had to use touch up paint to cover up nicks from rocks that hit my hood after falling off a truck.
  • rjgeerjgee Member Posts: 27
    Windex works great for removing wax on the black trim. I posted this about 1 1/2 years ago (after getting wax on the trim, and then experimenting on how to (easily) get it off.)
  • thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    Another way that works real good is a product that someone posted here last year, called Black Magic Total Shine which is available at WalMart. It makes the trim real nice looking.

I got wax on the trim the 1st time too, and since then I put the Total Shine on before I wax, and then just go over it with the Total Shine when I am done, and the cladding looks super!

My 5 tank MPG on the 2000 ECHO w. automatic is now at 43.2! I love my ECHO's. Driving to/from work and Church are my favorite parts of the week!
    i have never put anything on my cladding, is this total shine a proctectant as well???does this make it really shiny?? I like the matte look but I also think i would like something that is safe on the cladding and also protects it...if I used it and didnt like its appearance does it just wear back to the original matte????
  • mbohunmbohun Member Posts: 31
    I use Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer...it's made to restore the original richness to discolored black plastic and rubber. In addition, it's designed to remove unwanted contaminants and wax residue. I've been using it on my ECHO's cladding since I bought my car in May 2001 and it works great. I use a sponge to apply and then wipe off excess with a cotton cloth.

My gas mileage for city driving has been a solid 36 MPG (allot of stop and go)...I haven't had the chance to do pure highway driving and the best combo driving I've had so far is 39 MPG (approx 80 city, 20 highway). Great car and fun to drive!
  • thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    Yes, it does make the trim have a touch more of a shine - more of a deep black. The package says it is a protectant. I redo it pretty often (I have been using it for over a year), but I believe it would wear away in a couple weeks.

I tried Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer once, but it was a botch job. I think I didn't get it wiped off well. It became a black goo film that came off on my sponge when I washed the car the next week, and made streaks when it rained. I tossed it out. I probably blew the application, but I didn't want to try again and went back to the Total Shine.
    man, I wish there were some exterior modifications for the ECHO, I hate looking like every other ECHO out there..I am def going to get my windows tinted sometime this month, wish there was more that I can do..would love to get fat low profile tires and rims but way to expensive, has anyone bought some stylin hubcaps to snaz up their car????
    What took you so long. I saw it five times. LOL.

I was getting ready to suggest you post this question on the Toyota Echo owners club board on Yahoo, but I just went there to get the url and I see you already did that.

FYI, my club name is the same as my name here.
    I think Im going to buy it when its out on video, still cant stop thinking about it!
  • aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    a 2001 echo for the first time. i have just one reservation re the car, due to the slope of the hood, ican't see it (the hood) while driving. i'm 5'2" and my head had to practically touch the roof of the car before i could see the hood. this to me presents a driving hazard. anyone else have this problem???
    I am six feet tall and I can't see the hood either. I guess I am just used to it because it doesn't bother me.
    My husband told me his old VW Beetle was the same way. Maybe it just takes getting used to. Other than that, it's a great car for the price.
    Yes, the old Beetle was the same way, but if you think the Echo is bad, you ought to sit in the new Beetle. That thing has a long dashboard before the hood even starts.
    I was flipping through channels and came across a show titled Mutant X.

A character with some sort of electrical powers stole a black sports car from the roof top level of a parking garage.

A seafoam blue Echo was also on the same level. I only saw it from the side, but it was definitely an Echo.
    I'm kind of the opposite. I like being able to look over the hood and see the road, not just a forever extending hood where i can't see what's going on directly in front of me. I know someone with an early 90's Civic....I love how you can see so much, the hood has the perfect slope to see the road.
    My civic was the same way in that you couldnt see the hood while driving and that is a preferance for me...I feel like Im driving a boat or my grammas car if I can see the hood..
    My only concern with not being able to see the end of the hood is judging distances in the events of lane changes or even parking. I'm afraid I may hit something. But I guess it does take getting used to. It seems that those who drive vans must also experience the same thing as many of these vehicles also have short sloping hoods.
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    You may want to try using various points on the dash to judge where your car's hard points are; using the middle of the dash is roughly where the right side is. Next time out, if there are those dots on the road, let your car drift until it runs over them and see where the line on the road is in relation to the dash. As far as the front end(bumper)have a friend stand in front of your car and see how close you can get without hitting. Like anything else, you will become used to it. I have not been able to see where the hood ends on several cars I've owned but haven't had a problem.
  • spiehlerspiehler Member Posts: 13
    I recently got my first-ever (Ohio) vanity plates: ECHO BOY

:^)
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Cool! What color is yours? Mine is in Spanish:
    TNGO KIR
    (tengo que ir) which means: I have to go! :D
    My Echo is Electric Green and has just over 15k mi...LOVE IT!
    I was looking at the maintainence book that came with the care at the 15k interval. I figured out that it should take the dealer 1.5 hours to do the work (oil change, tire rotation, inspection) which @ $75 per hour should come out to $112 for labor plus the cost of oil and filter. ($10) These intervals are kind of artifical because many people do not drive the mileage over the time assigned to it so schedules get muddled up. BUT if you DO have the 15k maintainence done (and just that) Id be curious to know what Toyota charged.
    Tomorrow Im going to upstate NY past NYC so Ill get my first look at the NY skyline minus the Twin Towers.
    K, you must have missed my post a while back. 15k maintenance is next for me. I called the dealer and it will run $160.69 tax included and take two to two and a half hours. Previously, I had oil changes and tire rotations and that cost me $52.50. Which means the additional work required at 15k runs about $108.

Good luck on your trip and stay safe.
    Check out the 2002 Echo overview here on Edmunds.

What's new for 2002? Well, according to Edmunds and I quote, "Toyota has left the Echo untouched for 2002, thereby sentencing this car to another year of slow sales."

Was such a statement about sales really necessary or appropriate in that section? Does not sound very unbiased to me.

And Edmunds has once again tweaked the paragraph about the Echo's showing in the NHTSA tests. And tweaked it wrong. Edmunds' paragraph implies that only tests that can be compared within class were conducted by the NHTSA. This is patently false. Side impact crash tests were also conducted on the Echo, it did fairly well, and these tests can be compared between ANY cars of ANY class.

Finally, Edmunds has left intact the part about a fully loaded Echo requiring the rolling down of the windows and the manual setting of the sideview mirrors. The latter remains true, but the former does not.

Edmunds can expect yet another letter from me.
    Just thought I'd share this interesting website with the members here. You can look up the model & make of most cars by year to see which complaints are being filed. A word of caution, though. Don't believe everything you read. It seems to me some of the problems are driver-related. With exception of the airbags not being deployed at times, I don't remember reading about any of the other problems mentioned in the reports occurring here among you members: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/index.cfm
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Source: Environmental Protection Agency

The top fuel economy winners amount 2002-model cars. Mileage is city, then highway, then combined.
    1. Honda Insight, manual transmission 61 68 64
    2. Honda Insight, automatic 57 56 56
    3. Toyota Prius, automatic 52 45 48
    4. VW Jetta Wagon, diesel, manual 42 50 45
    5. (3 way tie) VW New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, all diesel with manual transmissions 42 49 45
    6. Honda Civic HX manual transmission 36 44 39
    7. Honda Civic HX automatic trans. 35 40 37
    8. (3 way tie) VW Golf, Jetta, Jetta Wagon, all diesel with automatic transmission 34 45 38
    9. VW New Beetle, diesel, automatic 34 44 38
    10.Toyota Echo, manual transmission 34 41 37

"Just 6 percent of the 2002 models headed for showrooms get more than 30 mpg. Average fuel economy for the 491 cars was 23.9 mpg. Aside from lifestyle and taste, choosing a more fuel-efficient vehicle can save an owner hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year while also helping reduce carbon dioxide emissions that scientists say contribute to global warming."

The worst: Lamborghini L-147 Murciel with 10 mpg.
    Smile if you drive an Echo.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    LAMBORGHINI,but then again I'm not politically correct.
  • ml91ml91 Member Posts: 26
    I have only owned my Echo for a few days, so I am not exactly an authority on this subject, but I will offer my opinion on the consumer complaints that I read by following the link in the above post: (1) "Hydraulic drill noise": the person who filed this complaint also posted a review on another Web site which mentioned this problem. If this is a legitimate defect, it must be an isolated incident; otherwise there would be similar complaints posted here and elsewhere on the Internet. (2) Brake failure: I suppose this could be legitimate; there is also a good chance that the driver is attempting to blame the car for an accident that was caused by him following another vehicle too closely. (3) Pedals too close together: nonsense. I wear size 12 shoes and I have no problem operating the pedals on my Echo. (4) Windshield replacements: I don't know what the problem is here, but it sounds suspicious.
    I agree. Some of these complaints do sound suspicious. I am an original owner of a 1989 Tercel hatchback which has never given me any of the problems presented under the complaints listed for the tercel, and believe me, there were far more problems listed for this model than for the echo, given the same timeframe. Just goes to show you can't always judge a car by what you read. There are lemons and lemonhead drivers in every car class and category. I'm still very impressed with the Echo by what the members here say about their cars.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    For instance a review of the 2001 Honda Accord LX v-6 critizes body roll,tires,ride and poor exterior quality.Then it ends with calling it a quality,refined car and names it best family sedan.
    I reread the Leganza reviews and I guess the handling.ride tires and exterior quality wrer not lousy enough to get Edmund's approval.
    Enjoy your Echoes and hope next year Toyota sends a better fruit basket to the Edmund's reviewers at Christmas time.
    The Honda Accord review can be found at the home page.Click family sedans.The review is dated may 30 2001.
    I have no problem with Edmunds not liking my car. I just want them to get the factual things right. Is that too much to ask?

After all, Lexus aka Toyota has paid Edmunds a lot of money, I hear. ; )
  • mccallrmccallr Member Posts: 19
    I just bought a 2001 5-speed Echo and love it! While I only have 51 miles on it, I like the way it drives around town and on the highway. The 6 speaker AM/FM/Cassette/CD player sounds truly awesome! In fact, the sound rivals my 2001 Grand Am Monsoon sound system. I hope I get the great mileage a lot of people seem to get. I'll let you know once I fill up.
    Welcome to the club. I remember when I bought my 5 speed Echo, but that was about 10 months and 15k miles ago.

In fact, I just got back from the service department getting my 15k maintenance done. I have oil changes done every 5k.

The cost was $159 and change. The service advisor said they also recommend a front end alignment at 15k for an additional $64, but I turned them down. I have had no problems with the car that would indicate an alignment was needed.

The service department goes beyond what Toyota specifies in the book. This service department also replaces the transmission fluid. Yes, even on cars with manual transmissions.

In and out pretty quick and overall, very happy with the work.

One thing I noticed that the emergency brake is a lot tighter. Tighter than it had been even when new. Car also seems peppier.

Mazda may have that cute catch phrase, but we Echo owners know where the real zoom, zoom is.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Sorry, have do disagree with you there. Take your Echo into a long, sweeping turn off an off ramp at nearly twice the speed and see if you are still saying zoom, zoom. :)
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Twice the posted safe speed? Ummm... your criteria of what a non-sports car should be able to accomplish is a bit optimistic if not dangerous.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Having driven a 2001 Pro for several months now the car is made for manuevering well by all means. Nevertheless, the echo on a 300 mi. recent trip took the TN backroads in the rugged Cumberland Plateau area just fine. And it got 54.7 mpg for the trip. Lots of cruising in fifth at 50-60 mph for much of the trip is the reason. But I wouldn't have wanted or been able to safely go faster in any car.
    Don
    Nashville, TN