Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• reaper3reaper3 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry been away from the board for awhile. I use super in the Echo. I used reg unleaded (89 octane) back in Canada. I get my gas subsidized through my job while here in Europe so I load up on the good stuff! :)
  • reaper3reaper3 Member Posts: 3
    Yes the Echo is an econobox and I will never be able to afford a true sports car. I just relish the fact I can do things like 100mph with this little car, all I'm saying is that the car has impressed me from the day I bought it and it still impresses me to this day! :))
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Word of warning, I remember reading here that someone was using 93 octane gas in their Echo, and they ended up having carbon build-up and having to pay the Toyota dealer to have it cleaned out.

Using premium in a car such as the Echo that doesn't require it not only causes carbon build-up, but it's a waste of money.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is a "Search this Discussion" box on the page link bars which is kinda new and very helpful. It will search throughout the discussion for whatever keyword you give it (say, carbon) and return links to all the posts in this discussion that contain that word.

Hope this helps.
  • cmeijningcmeijning Member Posts: 16
    I drive a Yaris Verso 1.3. The instruction manuel says that the minimum octane i can use is 95. In Holland were i live Euro 95 is the lowest grade available. Every time when i drive through Germany i am tempted to use benzin (91 octane), but i am afraid it will do damage to the engine, especially pulling a 900 kg trailer.
    Never use a lower octane than is recommended for the engine, it can cause bad damage to the motor's internal parts that will not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
  • aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    I tried it out by typing in some key words and it worked. Very useful tool if you have to research back posts.

By the way, my sister went over a pothole and her car started making click-clack noises at lower speeds. Because her Echo is still under warranty, she took it into the local Toyota dealer and they replaced her crossbar and did other minor adjustments free of charge. Echo is like a brand new car again! Warning: Beware of potholes.
    You don't have to tell me. I already lost a tire to one a couple weeks ago. :(
  • nekkonekko Member Posts: 2
    For all those waiting for the Echo to come in hatchback, here it is :http://autonet.ca/autoshows/Stories.cfm?StoryID=7691. Toyota will introduce the hatch version to Canada this summer.
  • roomanrooman Member Posts: 10
    Could we simply buy the new Echo hatch in Canada and drive it into the states? How much is the sales tax in Canada anyway?
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Provincial sales tax is 8%
    Goods and Services Tax is 7%
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Vehicles manufactured for the Canadian market will not meet US emissions and safety regulations. As such they will probably not pass inspections nor I suspect will the serial numbers be compatable with US models. They might know from these numbers these arent US models. I wish the hatchback version was availible when I purchased my ECHO!
    The safety regulations are about the same, but I think the emissions are a little different. It would be a bigger pain to switch over a Canadian vehicle to US spec than to buy one here of the same vehicle though.

Too bad, because I always wanted an Acura 1.7EL... (kidding).. :)
  • aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    ...I would never consider trading in my Echo until she were either really old or had over 100K miles. I love her too much. :)
    I beleive new cars have to meet a higher safety rating here in Canada....the bumpers need to be 8MPH instead of 5 in the US I think...

I would agree on the emissions part...
    I am pretty sure they're only 2.5mph here. Am I right or not?
    I think 2.5 is right. Which is pretty ridiculous if you think about. The only scratch I have on my ECHO is a couple of nickle size spots where I just nudged a parked car while parallel parking on the front of the bumper. I hate to think what they would want to repair that. BTW in my previous post I meant only to point out that Canadian and US safety and emmissions laws were just different, not that one or the other was "better".
      I love my ECHO too aeroterremer, but a diesel hatchback version would be awefully tempting...
    If I remember correctly, you don't drive that much right? Why a diesel if I may ask?
    I like diesels for the same reason large trucks use them...they are more economical to run and they are more reliable. Properly equiped with emmissions equipment, they are cleaner potentially than gas engines. (no CO and hydrocarbon but increased NOX) Maintainence involves changing the filters and oil. They are way more high tech than gas engines...and they are 100 years old! What I REALLY want though is a Stanley Steamer.
    Never thought about that fact. Diesel engines are less complex than gas engines, and also cheaper to maintain and more reliable.

IIRC, VW is the only US manufacturer to offer diesel engines in passenger cars, for now anyway. That's gonna change soon with the introduction of an MB diesel, from what I read in AutoWorld.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    The first issue is that my horn has gone out. I checked and I know it is not a blown fuse. While I was checking this out, I had the hood open and I pressed on the steering wheel. All I heard from under the hood was a click, click. Has anyone else had their horn go out? If so, what caused it and how much did it cost to fix it?

The second issue is (are?) rattles. There were absolutely no rattles when I test drove the Echo I ended up buying. A rattle did develop around the dash (I thought) and I was ready to return to the dealer when I realized that the rattle was coming from the water bottle rubbing against the cup holder. I think some rattles are from the things that end up filling our car. If you develop a rattle, remove the "junk" from your car and see if the rattle is still there.

The third issue is something I read in Click and Clack's column yesterday. A lady had an Avalon with 55,000 miles and something went out dealing with the suspension (shock and struts, I think). The dealer told her that it would cost $1,600.00 to fix. She wondered if the part should have failed so early. In their answer, Click and Clack stated that all Toyotas were made the same way and this part usually failed around 75,000 to 80,000 miles. Does anyone know if the backend of the Echo is made the same way as the Avalon and if we are going to be facing such a large repair bill when the part on our cars go.

It is a beautiful day here and I wish I was in my Echo, but I have to work. Talk to you later.
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I replaced my OEM horn with a FIAM(?) horn a few months after I bought my ECHO. $13 at Pep Boys and it plugs right in. I've had a horn go out on my motorcycle but none of my cars.
    As far as rattles I still have my lock buttons rattle in their housings but that's it. It doesn't happen when it's hot out because the plastic expands enough to make them snug. I've been too lazy to get them fixed. The only other sound I've had is a creak from the rear seat latch.
    It's funny how you mention the rear suspension because I've noticed that my rear bottoms out easier-low profile tires make it easier for this to happen anyway. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting some better shocks.
    43k miles on my '01 so far!
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    I sure think Toyotas are as solid as their reputation. I've owned a Corolla wagon and a Camry sedan and 2 pickups and now my 2000 Echo. Shocks will wear out, but certainly not to the tune of $1600 to replace them, even on an Avalon. And I have no experience of other suspension parts wearing out on my vehicles.
    A week or so ago we got some comment from an Echo owner about his engine being subpar after only 20 some thousand miles of spirited driving. Which meant downshifting for braking, and also revving to 5000 rpms regularly. I downshift my Echo for braking all the time, as well as my other Toyotas of the past, all standard transmission vehicles. With no ill effects. I rev my Echo less frequently now than when it was younger, but still hit 5000 frequently in passing situations, using 3rd gear if there is any need to rush. I am at 74K miles on my Echo now. Runs great.
    My wife and I are starting to talk new cars. we are also starting to plan for a family. Since we are purchasing (not leasing) our next car, I am wondering how safe the Echo would be with a baby seat strapped in. I realize the echo is one of the smaller cars out there and I am not overly convinced that I will feel safe carrying precious cargo!

Any thoughts of comments?
    That sounds a little steep for shocks, but I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY GO FOR. (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPATIALS MY KEYBOARD IS SCREWED UP)
    IF YOU REPLACE YOUR STRUTS/SHOCKS OR MUFFLER SYSTEM AT A TOYOTA DEALER THESE PARTS ARE COVERED WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY INCLUDING LABOR ACCRODING TO MY OWNERS MANUAL. DO NOT GO TO MIDAS TO GET MUFFLER WORK DONE. SUPREAM RIPOFF. YOU NEVER SEE ANY CARS IN THE PARKING LOT AT MIDAS,
    Have you had to replace/upgrade your rear shocks yet?
  • sfechosfecho Member Posts: 26
    My 2001 Echo has about 31,000 on the original Bridgestone Potenzas and I still have some mileage left before the wear bars show. I'm considering replacing the Potenzas with Michelin
    X-One or Michelin Harmony. Any comments about these tires?

How many miles have other owners driven their original Potenzas?

I had my brakes inspected at 30000 and I still had 70% left on the front pads and 80% on the rear drums. Is this unusual?

When do shocks need to be replaced? Any comments will be appreciated.
    31k miles out of the Potenzas is pretty good according to Toyota who say this tires lasts 25-30k miles (my dealer) The ammount of material remaining on your brakes indicates you are a careful driver, but is not unusual. Shocks are good until they leak oil or the car bounces more than twice when you step on the bumper depressing the shocks and then releasing it. since the shocks deteriorate gradualy you may not notice their decline. A knocking noise when hitting a bump usually means the bshings are bad, not the shocks themselves.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    I suggest Michelin MX4 tires. Mine have almost 60k miles and 8/32 left. When new they had 9/32 (inches). At 38k my brakes had 85% left in the front and more than 90% in the back.

So you see, your experience is not unusual at all.

Unless your car is fully loaded all the time shocks can easily go to the 100k mark.
    Kaz, I have not upgraded my rear shocks. I guess I have not had any reason to be concerned, but this is a good reminder to go check them carefully. Will do.
    ...As far as tires, I went to 41,000 on my original Potenzas, but never was very happy with the tires. However I bought replacement Potenzas thereafter which are excellent, and still on my Echo. Wet weather traction is great. Same name, but different category of tire, and much superior to the originals. These are type RE930i, and and Size 185/60 R14.
    ....Dealer said my brakes were 70%, 75%, front and rear (at 60k miles).
    I guess I should have hand the article in had before I posted my message. What went out on that lady's Avalon were the strut plates and Click and Clack stated that plates sit on top of the struts and attach to the body of the car.

In their response about repair rates, Click and Clack used the word Toyotas and not the word Avalons. This led me to wonder if all Toyotas are made like this and if we will face a similarly large repair bill.

I am thinking about what tires to put on the Echo. Do I put on a new set of Goodyears or go with a different tire? Based on a write up in Consumer Reports, I am thinking about going to Dunlop SP Sport A2s. They rate them slightly better than the Michelin Energy MXV4 and they are $50 a tire cheaper ($70 versus $120). The Dunlop rated excellent in both dry and wet braking; very good in handling, hydroplaning, and ice braking; while rated good in snow traction.

The Dunlop has only good rolling resistance while the Michelin has excellent rolling resistance as do the tires presently on my Echo. What will be the effect of not having as good of rolling resistance? Will only my fuel economy suffer? And if so, by how much?
    I would personally pick anything Michelin due to my experience with them. Goodyears always wore out too quickly on me, their tires seem to be crap.
    I have had Michelin MXV4Plus tires and they are very quiet and smooth riding with good grip in rain. HOWEVER, I have read many customer comments at tirerack site that say they suck in the snow.
    My Yokohama YK420's are very grippy but a little noisy on concrete. They have good grip in packed snow but haven't really had the chance to drive much in slush.
    There was a Kumho tire listed on tirerack that had rave reviews for grip in snow and are only $35~!!!
    Thanks for the reply, wrgraham!
  • levine90levine90 Member Posts: 21
    I think you misunderstood me. The engine itself is going strong as ever - the body is simply rattling itself apart. I haven't had a chance to take it to a dealer yet, the only place around here does service only during the week, and I'm working 12hr shifts recently. I'll let you know what they find out when I do get a chance to take it in.

Seems with the warmer weather, though, a lot of the "rattles" went away. Clearly an expansion/contraction issue.
    Happy Easter to everybody. Almost gone by now. But I am reminded of the good spirited communication that always seems evident here. Thanks to all.
    I have always had good luck with Goodyears so that makes me a little hesitant to change to Dunlops. But the results of Consumer Reports testing makes a good case for switching. I just wish I knew how Integritys (which is what I have now) compare to Dunlops.

Also, I don't think anyone answered my question about rolling resistance. If I go to the Dunlops, which does not have as good of rolling resistance, what kind of drop in fuel economy can I expect?
    I have had Dunlops on my VW, as well as Goodyears. I never had problems with the Dunlops, but had one of the Goodyears bubble on me and had to replace it. :(
    My friend's ECHO (a 2000 automatic with AC and not much else) is at about 47,000 miles now with no problems yet. He still likes the car alot, he says. Bought with 36K on it, around November 02.
  • mdrewmdrew Member Posts: 32
    2000 auto. 4dr has been running great from day one...recently I broke the eject button on the cd player and the dealer replaced the whole unit on the warranty--good timing since it's about to run out next month.
    My sense is that the particular model of tire is perhaps more telling than the brand. Although the brand is certainly consequential. The worst tires I have ever owned, as far as tread lifetime, were some Goodyear all weather tires I bought a long time ago. The Dunlops I have owned have left me with a good attitude towards that brand. Surely rolling resistance will affect treadwear, and also the amount of heating of the tire itself. But it is hard to quantify unless there are specific test figures available. That about sums up what little I can offer.
    I had forgotten this, but I now remember reading that Toyota selected certain tires and designed the Echo with those certain tires in mind. It was alleged that using different tires would cause problems. Is this true or possible? Should someone stay with the tires that the carmaker puts on a car?
  • jmeyers1jmeyers1 Member Posts: 6
    Over the past 10 years I have purchased my tires from Walmart... prices are generally lower... if there is ever a problem with the tires just make sure you have your receipt... there are Walmart Super Ctrs located all over... so replacing a tire and or tires at another location is not a problem... generally stay with the manufactors specific size... not brand! The company gets a deal from the tire manufactor and initially the tires on your new vehicle wear out faster than replacement tires. I purchased XTRA tread from walmart... great deal less than $160.00 for all 4 including balance...stems etc... do your shopping and have a great day!
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    price is always a factor when buying tires for an economy car, but thread life and safety sometimes distort price.
    if a tire lasts twice as long, then you're way ahead even if you pay a few dollars more.
    and how can you calculate safety? if a tires make you car handle better and makes your car more fun to drive... isn't that worth something?
    if due to better handling you avoid an accident, isn't that worth something also?
    Michelin is offering a free $99.00 Palm Zire handheld if you buy 4 Michelin tires before May 10th. I Just bought 4 Michelin Harmony tires and so far they are great. They have a tread wear rating of 680 which should mean they will go at least 80,000 miles. I paid $73 each plus $14 mounting balance and disposal. I had to get the form from the Michelin 800 number as the dealer had no clue of the free offer.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    What is that 800 number?
    Actually it's an 888 number.
    888-MICHELIN
    Their wesite is www.michelinman.com
    With spring has come a return to 40 mpg on my ECHO. (in town) Its been like 35 mpg all this long winter when temps rarely got out of the 40s.
    My wife and I are starting to talk new cars. we are also starting to plan for a family. Since we are purchasing (not leasing) our next car, I am wondering how safe the Echo would be with a baby seat strapped in. I realize the echo is one of the smaller cars out there and I am not overly convinced that I will feel safe carrying precious cargo!

Any thoughts of comments?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    The Echo has excellent crash ratings (four stars frontal crash) considering it is a small car. Go to the NHTSA website and see for yourself:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars.cfm

But I can imagine what horrible things would happen if the crash you are (hopefully NOT) involved is with a Ford Expedition, Chev Suburban or similar.

If safety is the most important factor on your shopping list buy a Volvo or Mercedes.

If cost is a very important factor, buy a used Camry for the same amount you would spend on the Echo.