Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• heenasheenas Member Posts: 2
    Hello Folks,
    I have a 2001 Black Toyota Echo, my first and only car, it has around 40,000 miles on it, I bought it brand new.
    I absolutely love it and it has given me absolutely no problems unit Yesterday (I think this is also because I get the oil changed like clockwork )

Yesterday on the highway, My dear Echo had a flat tire, I am covered by my insurance for road side service and that guy (road side service guy) says he did not know why the tire gave away, on further inspection he also said that all the 4 tires looked pretty used and may be I should go and get all 4 of them replaced at Costco

So is this something that all/any of you have faced, if so please let me know what tires would you recommend

Or the guy was simply trying to scare me in to getting new tires, so that what would be good for the insurance company

Or is this something I should expect, that Echo tires need changing after 40K

Please comment as it would really help me
    Thanks
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Yes it is entirely reasonable that your car would need new tires at this point. My 2001 has 26k on it and the tires are not ready to be changed yet. Tire wear is a function of how you drive the car so there isnt a specific mileage that they need to be replaced. There ARE wear bars across the tread in a line. You could look for them or ask the tire salesman to point them out.
    I hanvt decided on what tires i will put on the ECHO when it needs them. Right now i like the Dunlop Sport A2s because my sons car has them and it runs real good in snow. Good luck and tell us what happens!
  • oilerfanoilerfan Member Posts: 1
    I'm a college student that has about 125K on my echo. The sparkplugs have never been changed. I haven't noticed anything wierd going on, but I'm going to change them cause I know my dad would be furious that I haven't yet taken care of this. Do you happen to have these instructions from Kneisl still around. I would love to get a copy of them. Thanks
    Youll need a 5/" sparkplug socket, a 3/8 inch drive ratchet with a 10 inch extension. Also a 10mm socket. The sparkplug socket must have a rubber liner capable of gripping the sparkplug.
    To get the wires off the sparkplugs, youll need to remove the 10mm bolt that secures them. I suggest removing and replacing one plug at a time so you dont get the wires mixed up. Look in your owners manual for the correct sparkplug gap and check the plugs before installation.
    Getting the plugs out is easy. Installing them is easy too but getting the sparkplug socket to come off the installed plug might not. If the extension pulls out of the socket after youve tightened the new one in, try spraying wd40 on the rubber insert of the socket and checking the fit with the sparkplug until it is tight enough to hold the plug on its trip into its hole, but loose enough to slip off the plug after you tighten it.
    The complete proceedure i wrote up for changing the sparkplugs is message #4393.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Tip #1 - the Go To Msg # box on the page bar will take you to any post if you know the number.

Tip #2 - you can easily include a link to a previous post if you'd like to do so. Just go to the post, right-click on the highlighted post number, choose "copy" (or copy link location, or whatever is similar depending on your browser). Then in your post, you just right click and paste where you want the link to show up. You'll see a bunch of gobbledy-[non-permissible content removed] but when you hit post, that will be translated to a link to the message you want folks to see.

Here is the result of me right-clicking, copying link location on post #4393, and then pasting that result into this message: kneisl1, "Toyota Echo" #4393, 11 Jun 2004 11:23 am

See?

:)
  • srmarksrmark Member Posts: 1
    As an owner of a Land Cruiser and an Echo, I feel very safe in either since I spend a good deal of time riding a motorcycle. Get some guts and enjoy the drive. If you dwell on the negative, it's gonna happen to you.
    > IF you dwell on the negitive, its gonna happen to you
  • mnmanmnman Member Posts: 36
    reba05- I live in the Twin Cities, my '01 5spd gets 47 highway summer at best, 32 city winter at worst. I still have the Potenza tires at 52K miles, they are rated for 40K... I will be buying a new set very soon. The only prob is I feel a loss of power at acceleration sometimes. I haven't checked for codes yet. I use 5w30 Mobil 1, change it at 7k, new filter and top off at 3.5k. When I bought the car used in early '03 some laughed, now the price of gas has silenced them....
    I saw gas on TV for $3.33 a gallon. Here in NJ its still $1.90
  • pesterkidpesterkid Member Posts: 18
    My ECHO does'nt have power steering...I love driving it anyway...
    Just curious to know how much it might cost to get power steering installed?
    Anyone know?
    Thanks much.
    Well you need a belt,a pulley, a pump and the hoses and a new rack. I would guess about $2000 for the parts. I suggest calling the dealer and asking the service rep.
    But you are LUCKY not to have PS. Youre getting better gas mileage than the rest of us and you probably paid a lot less for the car. If anything, youd want to REMOVE PS.
    BTW, how is the car to drive without PS and how much did you pay for it? Was it the fabled stripped ECHO for $9999?
  • kooltrinikooltrini Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me. I have a 2000 echo and when i clock my milage i get between 30-35 mpg on a normal sunny day. I heard this number can be higer. My check engine light came on and when i got it checked out, It said that the oxygen was too lean. They said my oxygen sensors were bad, so i replaced them. THe check engine light came on about 2 days after and still reads the same message. Help! What else could be the problem? What else constitutes so i can get better gas milage on the car? My last question is how do I install the two speakers in the dash? I see the wire when I pull off the grill, but do i need a special adapter to wire the spreaker? Thanks
  • ldlopezldlopez Member Posts: 13
    A moped: I think not.
    It's 106 miles round trip to work!
    I mean where would I put my Lunch ?
    I noticed something strange.
    Most of the rest of the product line of Toyota
    gets better MPG with the automatic vs the manual.
    This is not true with the Echo.

I was also wondering if in real life the Echo
    gets better MPG with a 5 speed.

I wouldn't get anything but the 5 speed
    anyway. It has to do with control going up a
    hill on ice and haveing AT transmissions shift
    at the wrong time (wrong time means any shift!).
    Hey there,
    I got it from a dealer for about 7000$, its a 2003 which had about 34000 miles.
    Its great to drive, no power steering prob does'nt matter at all cos it's absolutely great to handle...
    I am not too sure about the mileage, cos we checked yesterday and we are only getting 28 miles a gallon...which is horrible...
    What do I need to check/do to get better mileage?Please do write about this....
    Thanks.
    My ECHO came with just a radio, where would be the best place to find a not so expensive CD player for my car?
    Would it cost a lot to get it installed if I end up buying it online?
    Thanks.
  • reba05reba05 Member Posts: 36
    I was quite excited the other day when I got 37 miles/gallon on a long drive - I felt that was pretty good in the cold - in summer I hope to get 40, however, I have an automatic, I don't anticipate 47....that's great!
    One negative after that long drive are some rattles and squeaks around the dash and back end, not sure why that all of a sudden happened, is that where the low cost=low quality? I hope to locate the noises and "silence them" as I have only had the car for 1 month.
    I just put in about $500....CD Player was not bad - $145 for an Alpine at Best Buy, 4 speakers = $220, however speaker installation cost more than expected...but definitely worth it if this car lasts as long as they say.
    i would call a local junk yard and see if they have an ECHO with the factory Cd player. Sometimes they will even install them.
    First thing: has the maintenance been done? Air filter, sparkplugs, oil change, correct tire pressure? If you have an auto are you sure its in DRIVE? How did you check the mileage? You should fill the car with gas, 0 the tripmeter. Then when you fill it again, note the mileage and divide by the number of gallons you put in. After doing these things, you might have the car checked for fault codes at the dealer. Theyll hook it up to the computer and analyze the engine etc. If everything checks out consider how you drive. If its cold out, if you drive fast, if you drive in the city, youll get less mpg. But 28 seems pretty low even for that. I would check out the maintenance, the tire pressure, and make sure youre putting it in DRIVE and not 1 or 2 etc. Tell us what you find out!
    You buy an automatic transmission if you have to drive in heavy stop and go traffic frequently. Or if you physically cant shift a manual. A manual tranmission gives you better control of the car in winter driving and even in the rain or on dry pavement. It will brake the car for you whereas an auto wont as much. A manual transmission lasts longer than an automatic. If its not abused and the oil is changed, it can last forever. An automatic will definately blow at some point no matter how carefull you are with it. Unless you do a lot of freeway driving then it wont. From what Ive read on this forum, the ECHO definately gets better mpg with the manual than the auto. A manual however as a clutch and unless you are carefull that will need to be changed at times. And if your bad it at that could be frequently!
    Hey there,
    We got a complete maintenance done right after we got it from the dealer.
    The maintenance guy did tell us the oil changes had not been regular in the past.
    It is in drive, we doublechecked that right before we started driving.
    Tire pressure, good!
    I was wondering if maybe it might take one tank to just get into shape, the dealer did say it was with him for a month or so...and dont know how much the other owner drove it....do you think the car not not having been driven much over the past few months could affect mileage?
    I will take it back to the mechanic and see if he might figure something out.
    Thanks.
    If all of the things i mentioned above have been done or checked, thats all I know to do. It seems to me it shouldnt matter if the car has been sitting. But if you have a dirty airfilter, sparkplugs, etc that would be a cause. If you do find another cause lets us know. Good luck!
    I did have a factory CD player - but to only install new speakers, I felt the output of the factory product wouldn't have been up to par with the speakers. When you are paying so little for a car, why not splurge a bit?
    The little I spent on my ECHO lets me afford the motorcycle of my choice.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Hey kneisl1, I did the same. Bought a beautiful 2004 Suzuki DL650. Has all the acceleration and speed I could possibly need!
    Is that the Vstrom or os that the dual sport?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    That is the small V-Strom. An incredibly versatile motorcycle.

The sun is out today so I will go on a ride this afternoon. Mileage while riding two up is 58 mpg. Amazing.
    I've found lots of auto/ac Echo's but
    very very few 5 Speed Manual Echo's.

Should I just get an automatic transmission
    one (yuck) ?

After living with a '86 Toyota w/o air
    I'm really not up to it.
    Well if you get an automatic it will make your car easier to sell and youll probably get more money for it, should that becaome necessary. Really, the criterion for getting an auto is will you be driving in heavy traffic frequently? A manual can be very tiring under those circumstances. Aslo, it might be an issue you cant physically drive a manual as I found out when I had neck surgury and had to drive my wifes car until I healed up. A manual IS better in snow and gives you more control of the car going downhill etc. Your call!
    I had to recently sell my Yamaha FZ1 because of my neck and back issues. The 650 V Strom was high on my lis, but I decided to go with a Honda Shadow Saber which is a cruiser type of motorcycle. The V Strom is definately more veristile and i miss have that type of MC. Can I borrow yours once in a while?
    What is the real world MPG of an AT vs
    a 5 Speed.

I'm about 106 miles per day, 60 is at 80 MPH
    40 is at 40 MPH.
    Not that much. My manual gets 40+ mpg when I drive it 100+ miles on the freeway at speeds near 80 mph. Around town for short distances at speeds never over 45 mph it gets 40 in the summer and 36-38 in the winter. I think an automatic will come close to the highway figures, but it might do worse around town. Put it this way, if it gets 35 mpg and a manual gets 40 mpg, over 100k miles @ $2 per gallon the manual will go through $5000 of gas and the auto will consume $5700.
  • gregzgregz Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 echo 2 door. i want to install an aftermarket tachometer. can anyone help?
  • bryanwbryanw Member Posts: 12
    I've had my 2005 echo for 6 weeks now and am sure it was the right choice.
    It's interesting the weird comments I have received from friends and co-workers about this car. Many consider it to be a piece of junk or ridiculously small. Some have wondered why I didn't spend more and get something better like a Ford or GM that is heavily discounted with incentives.
    Then there are those who think it's a great choice and would consider an echo for their next vehicle. They usually own a Toyota or Honda already.
    Be sure to ask your friends how they like their gas guzzleing American cars when gas hits $3 a gallon this summer.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    GM and Ford are losing market share to Toyota and Honda. And the Japanese companies are smartly challenging the highly profitable truck sales that GM and Ford have dominated for years. A now deceased relative would not buy a car from Toyota or Honda for 30 years after he fought in the Pacific during WWII. Then he test drove a Toyota and looked at the ratings in CR magazine. He was impressed that Toyotas had fewer problems even after 3 years than GM or Ford vehicles. He never purchased from GM or Ford again. The Big Three better get better or they will see their market share in the states slide even more. A mechanic told me that the ECHO is one tough machine and would still perform well even after major abuse. Perhaps the goal of the American car makers should be to have mechanics say that about their products too.
    I would buy American. But there is no comparable car like the ECHO made by US manufacturers. Also, I have been laid off twice by major American companies. When times got tough they solved their problem by showing me the door. Ask me if I feel guilty about buying Japanese.
  • rodvcrodvc Member Posts: 5
    Dear All, Greetings. I am English & when I moved over here I was forced to buy a car - so I gladly went for the Echo as it was one of the smallest & most European styles I cld get.
    My question is - can anyone help me in obtaining a basic maintenance manual for the car ( 01 2 Door manual 35k on the clock) - I have called Toyota & they quoted $117 to me . I am no expert & simply want to learn the basics ( waiting 4 hours for an oil change last Monday was the straw that broke the camels back ) - Thanks for any help in this area
  • bryanwbryanw Member Posts: 12
    Domestic vs import labels don't even make sense anymore. Toyota has a plant in Cambridge, Ontario which builds models for the Canadian market. They have to be at least 60% Canadian content to escape import tarrifs. The Corolla built in Ontario is over 90% homegrown yet my brother's Pontiac Sunfire is made in Mexico and my dad's Grand Am has an engine made in China.
    One of my co-workers was shocked to find her Chevrolet Optra is Korean built even though the dealer pushed buying GM vs the import "junk".
    I think one of the biggest problems with the big 3 is too many models and divisions with too much overhead which forces them to cut costs by building engines,parts and cars in low labour countries.
    I have the official Toyota manual. Its very $$$ and very incomplete...no wiring diagram. I suggest getting a Haynes manual. Far less and probably as usefull. If you have any questions, I would be happy to look them up in my manua. But get a Haynes that will help you with oil, air, and sparkplug changes.
    CHeers,I was told by pepboys that Haynes didn't do a manual & I can't find one on the internet. The changes & a few others (transmisson etc ) are the ones that I would like to do.
    Does the car share anything with other Toyota cars meaning that one can buy a manual for that car & use it on the Echo?
    I (and others) have done some verbal proceedures on this forum for these very things. You could search the forum for, say, oil change and read them.
    thanks , i have already printed off the one re airconditioning - just perplexed that there isn't a manual out there & wld have enjoyed reading one as I find them useful.
    There are only about 50,000 Echos sold a year in the US, unlike Europe where ECHO is a best seller. (50,000 may be optimistic) I guess it isnt worth the publishers while to sell one.
  • librarian2005librarian2005 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I have narrowed my choice: Either an Echo or an Accent. I desperately want a manual speed Echo. Went to Homestead Toyota today. Was told by sales rep: no Echos available at all. Echo is being revamped and will come out in 2007 as a hatchback!

:(
    :cry::cry::(
    Went to look at Accent. Don't like the height do like the warranty. Love the warranty. Talked to Accent owner in the neighborhood. She said no mechanical problems hates the dealer though. Also said, warranty, roadside assistance great. She got what she paid for. Advised me to take a man along to do the dirty wheeling and dealing for me because she paid close to nothing. Her son refused to allow her to pay for such a rudimentary vehicle.

Thoughts
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Get a used ECHO with the Certified Toyota extended warranty--get the height and the warranty. In a couple of years, if you want the 2007 ECHO, you can sell your ECHO and not lose a lot in depreciation. If you get the Accent, plan on holding onto it for several years since the depreciation up front is high--especially since an all-new, much improved Accent is coming out this fall.
  • librarian2005librarian2005 Member Posts: 3
    Not having any luck. Might take your advice and simply wait until 2007 Echo and buy first new car. I hate making payments which is why I buy cheap.
    Best care ever owned was 93 Hyundai Excel ---123,000 miles never a problem However, when traded in (how stupid was I) dealer gave me $200 :cry:
    Next owned:
    Geo Metro paid $5000 3 cyclinder... traded for 2000 Acura Integra in two or three months..Metro was frighteningly slow in merging traffic...then I bought for $900 a 1987 Toyota Tercel...sold w/in two weeks.

I need a commuter car desperately..I own a Kia paid $1700 but man does it eat gas!
    Have also owned Mazda Protoge and Toyota Tacoma...loved the Tacoma

Have owned several cars since then and I do NOT like car payments. I hate them in fact but might do one for three years for an Echo.
    Can't find one in Florida! :cry:
    Does anyone know if I can get a mirror adjustor for my car?
    I have to manually adjust it from outside everytime, and it is a hassle...I dont want power windows, I want to get the ones that you use to manually adjust from inside the car.
    How much would it cost if it is a possibility?
    Thanks.
    As far as I know you cant get them in NJ either. Looks like if you want one youre going to have to travel to someplace that sells them.
    BTW on a 500 mile trip to up state NY and back this weekend, my four year old ECHO got 44 mpg for the whole trip! That included driving through a monsoon the entire way home.