Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Echo

Comments

• Options
    rjgeerjgee Member Posts: 27
    If you have a cylinder that has been misfiring, it can cause cat damage. The light will come on occasionally as the ecu does its test for the cat efficiency. If the cat is marginal, it will also depend on how you drive.

You can get a used ECU for around $50. Check www.car-part.com. It's only about 5 minutes to swap them. If you choose to get one yourself, only get the 3rd generation or later 52673 (assuming automatic). Do NOT get the 52671 or 52672; they both have a problem that can cause random misfires at startup.

Did you ask how he knows its the ECU? Thats usually one of the last things they replace when trying to diagnose a problem...
  • Options
    maarty10maarty10 Member Posts: 5
    Hey, thank you very much for the feedback. The car-part.com info was excellent. What a great site. Your info about the version code of the newer computer was also very good; as it turns out that is the code of the unit found for my car. I will find out tomorrow how he diagnosed the problem. I will get back to you.
    Thanks again for the feedback; you have been very helpful. I love this little car.
  • Options
    maarty10maarty10 Member Posts: 5
    Robert I owe you a beer or two. You have saved me 285 dollars. Yesterday when I had still not heard back from my mechanic I called him after I had read your post - to tell him I wanted only a computer with 52673. It had just arrived at his shop and he assured me it was 52673 - I mentioned the 3 at the end of the code 3 times just to make sure. Yeah yeah yeah he said.
    Ok, here is where it gets interesting. Its two brothers who run this shop. The one I spoke with yesterday doesnt work today, but his brother does. When I hadnt heard from the shop by 2:00 I dedided to drop by. Brother 2 says he has put in the replacement computer, but that one of the injectors is dead - he is waiting for his supplier to send a new one, and that he is only charging me for the new injector and no labour since I havent bugged him. Its been 4 days. Ok I say. and 2 hours later he calls to say my car is ready.
    He hands me the invoice. I pay him, and nonchalantly ask for the old computer. He says "I threw it out" and then without skipping a beat says "actually I traded it back to the supplier" I reply, "Well I know of a place that will refurbish a bad one and give a lifetime warranty on it for 300 dollars. He says, "Uh, call me monday and I will call the supplier" Ok I say, "and what was wrong with the injector? He gets it and shows it to me and puts a circuit tester on it. Its dead. I drive away, and 20 minutes later on a hunch pull over and check the numbers on the computer. Guess what? You probably already did. The number on the ecu is 52672. I went home and printed out a copy of our correspondence and go back to the shop.
    I tell brother 2 about the discrepancy of the number on the ecu. He says he just installed what was left for him by brother 1 and doesnt know anything else. I say "is it possible the original ecu was mistakenly left out and thats what is in the car now? If call toyota with my vin# are they going to tell me 52672 was original to the car?
    Brother 2 says let me call my brother and see whats going on, leave it with me.
    45 minutes later he calls me and says come back to the shop, a mistake has been made, thats the original computer in your car.
    I get to the shop and he hands me 285 cash. I thank him and say, "what I dont get is how is it that the car is running fine with a bad computer? " He is all red in the face, and says," It must be a bad injector, the computer is fine, thats good right?"
    Right.
    Thanks again Robert. Your a good man.
  • Options
    kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Not unusual. This is why I recommend you work on your own car as much as possible. Whatever you can do. The more you work on it the more you will learn. The less vulnerable you will be to things like this.
    My sons Altima had a bad injector last winter. I figured thats what it was. I cant work on cars anymore so he took it to the mechanic himself. They sold him on a $300 flush job. Had I been there I would have said no change the injector, its dead electrically so flushing isnt going to help. They had to have known that. So they charged $300 for the flush and another $300 for the new injector. They discounted a little for the flush but the dammage was done.
  • Options
    likrishlikrish Member Posts: 8
    Thought I'd post again. In a previous posting, I mentioned that my CEL had come on. The diagnostic said that "bank #1" was running lean. A few days before the light came on I had installed new spark plugs. They were the kind with the double ignition points. I wasn't able to get to a diagnostic center right away and but after about 4 days the light went off and hasn't been on since. It's been a couple of weeks. My MPG went up so now I'm getting about 42-43 MPG consistently. BTW, this is a great forum.
  • Options
    For what its worth I belive bank 1 referes to the first of two oxygen sensors in the exhaust system.
  • Options
    rjgeerjgee Member Posts: 27
    The echo only has bank 1. V6/V8 engines have 2 banks.
  • Options
    I see. The serice manual shows two sensors, bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2.
  • Options
    Where I live Pep Boys is having a special promotion. Pennzoil or Quaker State oil 69 cents a quart after rebate. You have to pay $2.39 a quart up front. Oil filters to fit your ECHO (Purolator L14476) for 1 cent each after rebate. You can buy up to four filters for 1 cent each. You have to get their rebate sheet which should be at the front desk. Look on the sheet and find these items. Im assuming this is everywhere Pep Boys is so youre in luck if theres one near you.
  • Options
    babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    What is the best product to remove smears on the inside of windows and windshield? BonAmi, Windex, vinegar, glass wax, etc?
  • Options
    I dont know but whatever they wipe the inside of my windows at the car wash with works great. They just pick up thee rags that must have the stuff on it and wipe the windows and they are CLEAN!
  • Options
    Next time you get your car washed, ask and post. :)
  • Options
    Ill try. But half of the workers are Mexicans who speak little English and the other half look like people who have done time in the Big House. And needed to.
  • Options
    GrumblesharkGrumbleshark Member Posts: 8
    Well, I bought my 2000 Echo used 3 years ago at 28K miles, and have racked the odometer up to 127K. I finally own it as of March, and I thought "at this rate, I won't even own it for a year before I have to replace it!"

Reading about these other high-mileage Echos, I feel much more confident that this puppy will last a while. Amazing!

All I have had replaced on my Echo has been the front and rear brakes (once, last month) and the fan belt. I drive almost exclusively highway miles, at least 130 miles per day. I love my Echo! And I am still getting 30-34 miles per gallon.
  • Options
    pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Unless your speeds exceed 70 MPH all the time you should be getting much better mileage.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Make that, exceed 80 mph. I have done highway drives at 75 in mine and still averaged 40 mpg or more.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I hope you have changed the air filter and sparkplugs in that time. Good to hear the little cars are doing well!
  • Options
    In addition to the ECHO I also have a Mazda Miata and a BMW R1100GS motorcycle. I have bookmarks to web sites for those vehicles also. Instead of working I browse through all these forums on my computer at work. I wonder if anyone does this?
  • Options
    What, has a Miata and a motorcycle? Nope, my other car is a Matrix, and I have never driven or even ridden a motorcycle. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Based on the marked difference in numbers of posts throughout the Forums over a weekend vs. Monday through Friday, I'd say you aren't alone. ;)
  • Options
    My son wants to trade my Echo for his Jeep. I travel 2 miles per day in the Echo and his commute is 30 miles one way. So he wants it to save on gas. Value of both are about the same. Should I? Maybe a trial trade period before titles are exchanged?
  • Options
    Why not? If the Jeep goes down you can always walk!
  • Options
    bpaigobpaigo Member Posts: 3
    Well, it all depends on how you feel about the car. If you love your echo like I did?...... (short story tell later) you wont trade with him. But echos are extremly hard to find. If you want safty for you son, both cars are great. My parents had a 05 cherokee, and my dad was hit on the drivers side, and had bruises from the setbelt, but was fine. The ECHO on the other hand was TOTALED on March 18, 2007, sunday 10:30am. I was very scared, but the ECHO kept me safe, and my door was jamed from the force in the front, but still managed to push the door open, and walked out of the car, with NOT ONE BRUISE, SCRACTH, or ANYTHING, I finally bought my second car two weeks ago, and bought a 2000 camry LE. But I miss my echo, and it was the best dam car, in the world. So it depends on how you feel about the car, and if safty is an important thing to you for your son, thats a decsion I couldnt make, but both Jeep and echo are great and safe cars. Hope this helps. :sick:
  • Options
    What kind of Jeep? A Wrangler? I would say no to a Wrangler for my Echo, even if it WERE my son asking!

Other Jeeps aren't so bad for daily drivers: a Grand Cherokee or a Liberty would be OK. And I guess it would be a plus for the environment...

I would do the trial trade period like you suggested though. The Jeep will cost you repair money down the road if it is more than a few years old, whereas the Echo likely won't from my experience with mine.

• Options
    2002 Jeep Cherokee
    2001 Toyota Echo
    Both have about 67,000 miles.
  • Options
    You could always nix the deal because you think the Jeep is "safer" for a young driver and you worry that in an accident the ECHO wouldnt fare as well.
  • Options
    I would definitely insist on a 90-day trial period.

Lots of nice used Echos on the market if he wants to trade the Jeep in....

:-O

• Options
    if I posted it here, but earlier this year I got a personalized license plate for my Echo that says "MPG Champ", and since then I have had several inquiries about it from neighbors and co-workers, even one shopper in the Safeway parking lot. Most were very impressed by the spaciousness of the interior and the exceptional fuel economy, and liked the comfort of the seat and the layout of the controls.

I had a neighbor that ended up searching out a used low-mile Echo and buying it, and a co-worker that bought a new Yaris as a result. Everyone who is interested enough to check out its Consumer Reports summary is always favorably impressed by its stellar report there. :-)

I'm surprised, really, that they didn't sell more of them when they were still available new. But of course I realize that one thing that figures into its current popularity is high gas prices which didn't exist back in the early '00s.

• Options
    I had a bumper sticker made for the car that says: This car gets 40 mpg: SWEET!
    Unfortunately Im not suprised ECHOs didnt sell a lot better. Amerians just dont want a car as small as an ECHO!
  • Options
    At 10 PM on a full moon night a black cat ran full speed across the road and at the last second torpedoed straight into the front of my Echo. I was going about 25 mph and did hit the brakes but had less than a second to respond.

Damage: a fist size hole in the grill and one suicidal cat that will not do it again.

Babyboomer
  • Options
    Wow he must have been going pretty fast! Poor kitty! Poor ECHO! I was coming home from work one night an hit a possom on my motorcycle. He was down in a dip in the road and my headlight went right over him until it was too late. I just said dont swerve dont brake (or you fall down) just keep going straight until you hit him. He ran to the left and out of harms way but then ran back to the right and the rear wheel got him. It happened so fast there was nothing i could do.
  • Options
    squarewheelssquarewheels Member Posts: 5
    I got gouged on repair of my Echo. The work was good but the estimate was 1/2 of the price of the work done. Water Cooling Motor replacement and hoses for 440 dollars! I thought that was high...am i wrong? Does anyone know of a good auto mechanic in the Sacramento area that works on Echos? :confuse:
  • Options
    That does sound a little steep although I dont know the price of a new water pump.
  • Options
    Consider that he had most of a timing belt replacement done for $440. Doesn't sound too bad when you put it that way. If they used reman parts from Toyota, there's no way the pump was less than $100. If they installed new belts and 2 gallons of fresh coolant with the new hoses, I would say $440 is at least ballpark.

Now if it was the corner garage using the cheapest parts available, I would expect a price more in the $250-300 range.

And considering all the costs were known in advance, there is no excuse for them quoting $220 for the estimate.

• Options
    Timing belt? Theres a chain on an ECHO.
  • Options
    Yes guy, I KNOW. I'm saying, the work is the same whether there is a chain or a belt, and he had most of it done to get a new water pump put in. Timing belt replacements go for $500 at the dealer, including a new water pump. Even on coupon specials it is pretty hard to get them under $300 for any kind of decent work.

• Options
    Thats whatI thought! I think Honda got $1000 last time they did our TB and WP.
  • Options
    my TB and WP replaced at the dealership on my Integra less than 5 years ago, and it was only $600. And the Acura dealer near me is notoriously expensive for everything service-wise. I know my Toyota dealer does Camry 4-cylinders including water pump for $500.

I would suggest your Honda dealer was overcharging you more than is typical, even for Honda dealers.

• Options
    A factory piece of the plastic grill that was not damaged had popped out. It was hanging by a wire so I wonder what purpose does it have? I clicked it back in place (lower right of the grill as you look from the front of the car). It must give easier access to something but what?

Babyboomer
  • Options
    Was this a 2000 ECHO or newer? Not sure what the part of the grill is you are refering to. My 2001 has arather narrow black plastic grill which appears to be all one piece. Im thinking if I took it out it might make it easier to bleed the clutch cylinder!
  • Options
    2001 model. Different year Echos have different grills?
  • Options
    An article on the new 2008 Honda Accord states that the car weights 3400 pounds! They dont mention it gets 19mpg until the last sentence in the article. Guess the car has come full circle!
  • Options
    It gives access to the tow hook, which is located right behind it.

• Options
    Were there any factory recalls on the Echo?
  • Options
    There was something about ice buildup on the wheels which could interfer with the hydralic brake hose. I think there were one or two more. Oh yeah the floor can rust out. (right like if you leave the window open in the rain!)Mostly recalls are total BS. There are exceptions!
  • Options
    My son and his new wife will drive my ECHO to Nashville, TN. They leave me their Jeep Cherokee. They need the great mpg for the long commute to/from Vanderbilt University. I will miss it. He put four new tires on the Jeep so I put four new Michilin Harmony tires on the ECHO. I told him we could swap again at Christmas if he missed the Jeep but he said he loves the ECHO better. The only reason he would need the Jeep is when they have a kid. It was implied that kids would be at least two years away so goodbye sweet ECHO, goodbye.
  • Options
    That is a noble sacrifice. But couldnt you just sell the Jeep and get another ECHO?
  • Options
    Title swapping will be done at Christmas just to be sure they want to keep the ECHO. Many options possible after that.
  • Options
    dephinusorcadephinusorca Member Posts: 66
    I'm curious to know my cruising RPMs, but don't have a tachometer. Can anyone with a tach and a 5 speed tell me what RPMs are at 50, 60, 70, 80? Thanks.
  • Options
    mrbwa1mrbwa1 Member Posts: 42
    I wanted to know if anyone else experiences this same issue. My '01 auto gets very loud in cold weather until the engine warms up. I was very concerned at first thinking that it was an oil starved valve or something, but I am running 5W-30 Semi-Synthetic oil and the level is perfect. I have tried to pinpoint the issues and it seems to only be when accelerating when the engine is cold!. Once up to speed and cruising, the engine sounds normal. Once warmed, up the engine is normal.

I am thinking now that the issue is an exhaust leak due to the thermal expansion difference between the aluminum head and steel/iron exhaust manifold. If this is the case, any ides if I need to check a gasket or tighten the header, or if it's just another one of those things?...