Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    That sucks getting the little jewel dinged. Your relative will be very happy with the gift though!
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Just north of Jacksonville, Florida I saw an ECHO that looked like it just came off the new car section of a dealer's parking lot. My heart futtered.
    My son and his girlfriend have left on a xcountry trip to Montana from NJ. Their ECHO is a 2000 four door and has 140k miles and the check engine light is on. I offered them to take my car and fix the CEL while they are gone. But my son was stubborn and said "no". So far so good! I warned him to check the oil level everyday cause the car has so many miles and if the oil gets used up the engione will be trashed. Well he checked it but forgot the oil cap. Drove away, heard the engine, and went back looking for the cap. He saw it on the other side of the road but before he could retrieve it a car ran it over and destroyed it. Lucky for them an autobody place had a cap to fit. Wasnt an ECHO cap. What are the odds of that?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited August 2010
    I would say the odds are quite low, they really lucked out! :-)

My '02 is also at 140K, have never seen the CEL or any other warning light (except at startup when they all come on), still no repairs needed ever and it is humming along. It will be officially be 8 years old in about two months, and my only problem is the fever to have a new car again. I had a Corolla for a rental the other day that had 7 miles on the odometer when I picked it up, and it reminded me what new car smell is like and how nice it is to have everything sparkly and unblemished inside and out. :-/

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Go mow the lawn, watch a Netflix or two until the feeling goes away. Your old car is still good for many years. Maybe in a couple years you can get one of those new electric cars after they work the bugs out.
    Yeah I know, just drove to LA and back in it, about 900 miles round trip, cruised very smoothly and managed to average 45 mpg. :-)

I will try to stay away from the new car lots, but there are going to be several temptations out there in the next couple of months, including the Fiesta, the Mazda2, and the CRZ (and in the "looks as quirky as the Echo" department, the Nissan Juke, which has recently piqued my interest). Oh that new car smell..... :shades:

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Yeah - I admit the Fiesta and Mazda 2 are both pretty appealing - more so than the Yaris 5 door for me (why no standard tranny Toyota?). That being said, I just have no reason at all to get rid of my Echo and with its new suspension, it's even more fun to drive.
    edited August 2010
    I will mail you a simulated bank withdrawl/monthly bill for the loan. That should balance out the new car smell cravings.

I saw the Mazda2 at a dealer the other day. I thought it was a Yaris somebody traded in! Nice car though and IME Mazdaa are top line quality.
    Yeah, it's too bad they don't just let you have one without those pesky payments... ;-)

• campuskidcampuskid Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Hello I just bought an echo from a local dealership. Its 4 door with a manual tranny. I love this little thing. I went there to buy a honda civic but the manager wouldnt go below my 2500 price. So i so this echo and went with it. I think i made a better decision! I LOVE THIS CAR. So great on gas and its a very intimate driving experience. I cant explain it. Its in perfect condition for such high mileage. I gotta get all the fluids changed and new tires but its ready for the road. I live in detroit and this is a big slap in the face to my family but I gotta do whats right to my walet.
    Welcome to the club! How many miles? My sons ECHO is 10 years old and `140k but it looks to be in excellent shape.
    Wow- great price for a great little car! Congrats and welcome to the Echo family. :D
  • campuskidcampuskid Member Posts: 2
    its a 2000 with 122k miles on it. Great condition. I'm seriously thinking of doing a road trip in this thing soon. i dont forsee any problems.
    Check your Cv boots for tears. I recommend every oil change to check also. If you catch it early you can just replace the boots and not the $$$ axles. Hows the air filter and sparkplugs? You should also check the brake pads. Just requires removing the front wheel.
    Good luck!
  • bruce3681bruce3681 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    I bought my echo new in 2000. I now own a 2008 Fit and 2010 Mazda 3. I still love to drive the echo over the fit but the Mazda 3 is now my favorite. I hope it proves as solid as the echo. The echo at 130k has been really good to us. Excellent cheap transportation with only minor drama over the years. My son drives it now. He doesn't take the best care of it, but, its probably the best car for somebody like him.
    edited September 2010
    So do tell - why do you prefer to drive the Echo over the Fit? As I begin to think about replacing the Echo in the next year or so, the Fit is one of the candidates for being the replacement. Is it harder or worse to drive? In what way?

I have to "echo" your sentiments by the way. I will never own a car the rest of my life that will give me as few problems (read: NONE) as my Echo or be so inexpensive to operate, of that I am sure. At 142K now, and still cruising, and I will definitely be keeping it past the 150K mark.

My 33 year old son, who drove the Echo for 4 years with no complaints, does not like the looks of the Fit.
    The Fit is ugly (and this from an Echo driver). When we got my wife's new car a couple of years ago, she didn't even test-drive the Fit - she got a Yaris. :D
    What about the new Fiesta?
  • nurseer2002nurseer2002 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of strongly buying a 2002 Toyota Echo in another state...about 1100 miles from home. The car is located at a dealer. My question is; Is it possible to have the car shipped to my state? Or is their a "business" that helps out of state buyers get the car sent to them? I"m trying to avoid extra costs of flying, hotel, etc, . Then, if I fly out there, and the car is not what I thought, I would be out of money too. This will be my first internet car buying experience, and I need some advice please.
    Thanks!
    Elizabeth
    Heres what you can do:

If you know someone who lives near the car, they could check it out for you. I live in NJ, have worked as a car mechanic, and would be happy to do that. Maybe someone on this site lives near it and could help?

Shipping the car would be at least $500 and probably more. Its not going to save you any money Im afraid.

I just bought a motorcycle in Texas, flew down there, and drove it home. That is common with motorcyclists. People selling motorcycles know that (in general) so when they sell they make efforts to accomodate buyers. I understand your feelings about getting there and the car isnt what you thought. Do you think the sales people have been responsive to you? Have they made some sort of gesture/said something that makes you think you can trust them? Basically thats all you can go by. Your gut instincts. With motorcycles theres kind of a bond of brotherhood. I have sold several bikes to out of state people. I told them the truth, tried to help wherever I could. I look for that when Im buying out of state. When I went to TX I had a good feeling about they buyr. I was right: the bike was everything he said it was.

Did you use Craigslist?

You must live in a rural area without many ECHOs. If not I sure would look closer to your area. Its possible to do what you want but really you are taking a chance. ECHOs in general are EXCELLENT cars. Maybe the most reliable ever made. Having said that you are completely at the mercy of the dealer.

I wil look on Clist locally here in NJ if you want. I would be willing to check out the car you you, gratis. I have a lot of experiences with ECHOs and cars in general.

Good Luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    There are SO many scams out there related to internet sales that involve shipping vehicles. While this may be perfectly legitimate, I would insist on having someone see the vehicle in person before you buy it. If the seller won't let you do that, run, run away.

In my opinion, you are better off working with a local dealership. Tell them what you're looking for, and they may be able to locate one coming up for auction to buy & then sell to you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Wow! That's a VERY kind offer, kneisl1. You get a gold star for the day. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The are about 30-40 ECHOs for sale in the Craigslist for the Philly area. 99% of them are dealers selling ECHOs with way over 100k miles on them for $5000-6000. There are two private sallers. One of them wants $5100 for an ECHO (2002?) with 21k miles on it.

Thats a HUGE increase in numbers in just a few months.
  • mnmanmnman Member Posts: 36
    I was heading home from work back in June when my 01 4 door was broad sided by a driver running a stop sign in a intersection where I had the right of way. She swung the car 180 degree but everyone was OK... That's the second time my car was technically totaled. But it cruises just fine, straight braking too, but the back drivers door is bashed in.... As it turned out the lady who hit me had no insurance. That's why we ended up doing a show called Swift Justice with Nancy Grace in Atlanta that aired on 11/03. 3K for me, I invested it in Prosper.com. 145,000 on er, just hoping that was the last mishap for us!!

Did I see someone post earlier from Wisconsin that drives to the Twin Cities and back every day? Kneisl maybe... I'm in Winter, WI, also known as the boonies!! 3 people per sq. mile up here in the forest. Many many trips to St. Paul!
    You sure it's still safe to drive? Glad to hear there were no injuries!

Nope not me I live in beautiful Camden NJ.
  • gigirn46gigirn46 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

First of all, I'm female and know NOTHING about cars. However, I inheirted my mom's 2000 Toyota Echo, it currenly has 48K miles. Everything is original on the car.

The problem I just started having is, it seems to either vibrate or shimmy at low speed--25 miles/hour. It's not real pronounced...but definitely noticeable. The tires seem fine.

Any ideas guys/gals? :blush:
    edited November 2010
    It might just be the wheels are out of balance. There are typically tiny weights added to the wheels to make sure there is no vibration but they can fall off, or be knocked off by brushing against a curb. If you look at your tire rim, you'll see at least one wheel probably has this little weight clipped to the rim. If this has only recently started happening, you might even be able to find a "clean spot" on one of the wheels from where the weight was formerly attached. The vibration can occur at any speed, and will go away again just above and below that range.

Most any car shop, even Sears auto shops can check the wheel balance and fix it for you. I don't know if your mom kept her service records, but there may even be a warranty for her tires and that often includes life-time balancing. With mileage that low, they are probably the original tires, so you might be able to get the Toyota dealer to do it for free.

Don't let someone talk you into a full wheel alignment unless you actually start to notice the car pulling to the left or right while driving or notice very uneven tire wear.
    I agree first thing check the tire balance. Its NOT the alignment and you may be pressured at the shop to have one done.

I want to tell you that you are now the owner of one of the most reliable, practical, and economical cars ever made. It is a truely outstanding vehicle. Take care of it and it will serve you and your family well.

We are always here if you have questions.
    Merry Christmas Everyone!
    And to you good sir! :-)

Did about 200 miles in the Echo today, drove my folks around showing them some sights in the area. It hummed right along as usual....closing in on 150K a few miles at a time! Should be there before spring.

Were the Echo production years starting in 2000 and ending in 2006?
    The first model year of the ECHO was 2000 and the last was 2005.
    To that we should add that after 2003, Echo was an order-only model (no standing stock on dealer lots) so sales plunged dramatically to very low levels.

Also, production of the '05s ended very early and Yaris didn't arrive until mid-2006 as a 2007 model, so for about 18 months (from about January 2005 on until summer 2006) there was effectively no model below the Corolla at the Toyota store....

Huh didnt know that about the 2003s. Personally I prefer the first incarnation of the ECHO as it came out in 2000.

I am keen to see the iQ which is scheduled to be sold here in the spring. I hope it has the 1 liter engine. But, no, probably the 1.5 will be used. Ive also heard it will not be cheap. Which is crazy.
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/scion-iq-a-concept-in-reverse/

I like the Echo better.

Anyone hear any gas price predictions lately?

It's your last chance to post a message in 2010!
    edited December 2010
    Yeah the origional ECHO may never be bested for all around purchase price, fuel economy, practicality of design, and reliability.

That iQ in the NY Times does not appeal to me at all.

Gas $5 a gallon next summer. Take it to the bank.
    edited December 2010
    Even with the 1.5 the iQ should still make about the same fuel economy as the Smart car, and unlike the Smart it will run on regular gas! :-)

I think one car that comes close to matching the Echo for all those attributes you mentioned is its successor, the Yaris. It is the most reliable Toyota, and among the top 5 most reliable for all cars. And it gets close to what the Echo did in fuel economy. And 8 years later, it only sells for about $1000 more than the comparably-equipped Echo did, and comes with way more standard safety equipment and other features that weren't even available on the Echo (like power mirrors and cruise control for instance).

I'm not the Yaris's biggest fan, but it is a very reliable car and still has almost the best fuel economy among non-hybrids.....

I have a Yaris with automatic now. Its a 3 door hatch. When I got the ECHO it was only availible as a sedan and I was bummed! But I find the trunk was no problem. The yaris hatch does not have lots of space back there. Im getting like 32 mpg in town with it but thats on alcohol based gas which I wasnt afflicted with with the ECHO.

In short I much prefer the ECHO. But the yaris is the next best thing out there. No doubt.
    The new Echo was not highly rated by the car reviewers but is now recommended as a very good used car. Is that irony?
    edited January 2011
    You are thinking of the Edmunds reviews or at least I think so. They were quite negative. But the majority of reviews were very positive as I recall. They acknowledged that, yes, this car doesnt come with ABS or remote controls etc. But they saw its practical nature. And Toyotas inheritant reliability was mentioned. Of course at the time people didnt buy cars for those reasons! They were more concerned with what the car did for their egos and social status. If gas really goes to $5 a gallon as some are saying perhaps used ECHOs will command a premium. I really not gung ho about the general publics intelligence in these matters though.
    Changed the sparkplugs, air filter, and oil on my sons 2000 four door ECHO with automatic this weekend. The car has 152k miles on it. It is in excellent almost like new condition. It even looks good from underneath! One problem: the ps belt is loose and squealing. Has anyone tightened theirs and howd you do it? Thanks!
    Sorry, I had the shop replace the belts, so tightening was done by them. I just thought I would chime in because my '02 has almost the exact same miles as your son's '00! :-)

They are ageing wonderfull arent they?
    Oh YES they are! :-)

• mnmanmnman Member Posts: 36
    I haven't been on here since I posted this message about my wreck. The car seems solid yet but it is having a hard time with my new home in Northern Wisconsin since the roads are not maintained as well as a metropolitan area. Most drivers up here drive large four wheel drive SUV's or Pickups, but we will make it! I will need to replace a sway bar bushing I know for sure.
    Good luck! Is the car fixed and how did you do it?
    My little Echo officially passed 150K on the clock this week. It will have been on the road 8.5 years next month. I still have yet to make a single repair to this car, or even replace a single lightbulb. It uses no oil at all between oil changes. It is on its third set of tires and also its third battery, and still has its original clutch, which shows no signs of wearing out soon. I will be driving it from SF to LA in a couple of weeks, and still would not hesitate to drive this car out of state and even across the country.

It even still looks pretty good, except the one spot near the left rear wheel where an idiot who couldn't line his car up with the lines took a small chunk out of it while it was parked. The paint has held up well, better than other Toyotas I have had. And of course it still gets 40 mpg on a running basis, one of the reasons I hang onto it despite my yearning to have something new just for the sake of something new. With the gas up above $4/gallon now, I will be parking my other car and driving this one even more often than usual.

In the past I have managed 46-48 mpg on the LA trip, so I am hoping to repeat that performance later this month. I bet this car will go at least another 50K without any real trouble, so the only question is whether I can keep new car fever at bay long enough to get to the 200K mark with it. We will see......

With gas skyrocketing to $5 a gallon these little cars will be worth more $$$$. Like your ECHO my sons (2000 154k miles) is in like new condition inside and out. He drove it from NJ to Montana and back last summer.
    These cars may be the best reliable car ever made...
    I figured I would have my 2001 for 16 years at the rate I was driving it. But I had to sell it for an automatic.