Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Leaving home this am when at the end of the driveway
    a pine tree decided it would be the best time to drop
    a pine cone on my Echo. It hit the radio antenna then
    bounced off the roof with an echo effect (pun
    intended). No harm done and glad that it was not a
    green pine cone. That's what I would decribe as a
    close call of nature.
  • sequinsequin Member Posts: 3
    I know this has been posted before, but my dealer lost the recall number I gave them when I got my oil changed in August and now a new person is in charge and they think I'm making it up about the recall on the wheel covers. Please post that number so I can take it to them! Thank You
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    The center pod is there for a reason. Toyota can save money selling Echos around the world by just popping in a right facing pod, instead of needing a different dashboard configuration. Find a dealer to tell you that. They'll say they did it for visibility. That is an outcome, not the reason. I suspect that we'll soon see an Echo sport. Maybe they'll squeeze a tach in the pod, and offer a different seat, along with tire and suspension upgrades. One can always hope.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    If you look at the speedo closely you will see that it is NOT in the center of the dash, therefore one could not build cars left or right hand drive with this setup. There is so much other stuff you also need to do to change from right to left that this setup, if true, would save next to nothing. I'm sorry but its just a myth!
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    although I would disagree with the placement of the dash, I really do like it in the middle.
  • sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    And about "squeezing" a tach into the pod. Look at the overseas Echos, they have a digital setup that has a tach, temp gauge, the works! The Echo in Europe is not considered solely an "economy" car.
  • echoluvrstecholuvrst Member Posts: 111
    Toyota is talking about building an Echo targeted at younger drivers. It would have neoprene seat covers and a space in the trunk for a wet suit. I read so many car magazines and web sites that I am not sure where I read it so I cannot tell you where to go to read about it. Perhaps someone else saw this same story and can direct people.

Now about the other part of the title. Does anyone know if there is a way to change your Edmunds name? When I get my plates and even if the vanity name I wanted is not available, I want to change my Edmunds name to reflect what my license plate will (was to) be. Any pointers would be appreciated. And remember if I get to do the name change, I will still be the same Echoluvr(st) I have always been. : )
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Did anyone get a look at the new "Mini" to be built and sold by BMW? Guess where the speedo is (as in the original) Smack dab in the center!!!
    I love my instrument pod and it is a lot easier on the eyes in country night driving than having the instrument lights in your face.
    My brake squeal has gone for now...I'm wondering if it's a heat thing because I'm driving in very cold clime now. I've noticed that the rears start to squeal a little when the brakes warm up.
    Anyone else experiencing noise from brakes?
    Also, I pinpointed the 'rattle' noise from the door...it's the lock button! For some reason, the button has too much play in its sleeve and causes a rattling noise. This may be the reason for the rattle in one of the previous posts.
    I've been pushing cornering speeds to see when the tires will squeal...I've lost the nerve before the tires lose grip! Echo's can really corner! Try it!
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    When my computer crashed some time ago, I could not recover my name as I had forgotten my password to Edmunds, was too computer illiterate to know how to get it back, so I used new name R-10 for awhile until I learned how to get old (and current) Edmund's name back.
    ECHO problems and suggestions: If ECHO with manual does not shift as desired, get the excellent automatic. It performs very well but may consume a little more fuel. It was very easy for me to adapt quickly to the center pod. I do agree that ECHO needs a few more options such as Cruise and an LE option with padded door armrests and fold down armrest in the center. Offer a nice ECHO LE option with similar quality to that in the Sienna LE.
  • buzzhusebuzzhuse Member Posts: 21
    bbean2 is yanking your chain. Cats won't drink antifreeze.
  • jacktecjacktec Member Posts: 1
    I am driving a Corolla LE w/ sunroof; however
    I am completely bored with the car. Am I irrational in thinking I would enjoy owning an
    Echo? I live in Manhattan and since I am a
    NYPD Dertective; I'm not concerned with the
    "girlish" appearance. Could the Echo end my
    boredom???
  • cats_echocats_echo Member Posts: 6
    My Echo is the best car I have had. It is fun to drive. I look forward to going places now. I love it.
  • danny28danny28 Member Posts: 158
    Go for it! I've owned all kinds of cars for 35 years, including an MR2 and an F150 4x4 recently. The Echo is the best of them all. I love it. Mine is an auto. The auto has a lock-up toque convertor so it won't hurt your gas mileage, and electronic shifting logic which is much more adaptive than the older style fluid logic. It upshifts aggressively when using light throttle, but winds right out on full throttle.
    See post #94
    Don't forget that smaller wheels are not only better for gas mileage, but they are usually lighter (alloy is good), and that ride quality is largely dependent on the sprung/unsprung mass ratio for the suspension. In layman's terminology, bigger wheels ride rougher.

I have tried the "big boots" modification on several vehicles to improve dry pavement traction (which works) but have always had to put up with a worse ride.
    I have an aftermarket trailer hitch made by Drawtite Corp. on my Echo and have towed up to 1500# with no apparent problems. I don't know why Toyota don't recommend towing, but it may be that they would just feel better with a heavier vehicle like the corolla, given the poor judgment that some people use when towing.

Toytec

R. U. there? Any comments?
    I like the placement of the instruments because I find them easier to focus on quickly (old man's eyes), when looking away from the road because they are out there at arm's length and well lit. I also like the fact that I don't have to peer through the steering wheel.
  • p_farinop_farino Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to post this message for those out there interested in an Echo. I found the negative reviews by Edmunds and Kelley Bluebook to be very inaccurate. I have none of the concerns or experiences they have after driving the car. I feel Consumer Reports gave a much more accurate report about the car and left beauty where it belonged, in the eye of the beholder. I have to fight my wife for the car and feel like buying another before the good word gets out and the price goes up.
  • tomlhtomlh Member Posts: 8
    There is no wheel cover recall, but there is ' a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). All a dealer has to do is look in their book. I had mine replaced.
  • p_farinop_farino Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone out there know of any place to get fitted seat covers for the Echo? The dealer wants $170 dollars. Thanks
    In case anyone knows the TSB Number please let me know. Someone posted the number on the Echo site this summer and I lost it. My dealer is playing dumb in this matter...maybe he can't read!
  • rajmoranrajmoran Member Posts: 46
    Service Bulletin Number: NV00900
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 134
    Date of Bulletin: 0004
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613498
    Make: TOYOTA
    Model: ECHO
    Year: 2000
    Component: WHEELS:CAP:COVER:HUB
    Summary: SOME WHEEL COVERS MAY EXHIBIT SQUEAKING OR CLICKING NOISE. *AR

I got this from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Web page.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...to the cat probably were a bit inappropriate so I've removed them. It was a suggestion made in poor taste and the responses were predictively hostile.

echoluvrst: The post limit has been moved up on the new software. To where... I'm not really sure but I'll probably be recreating this topic shortly.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • echolaliaecholalia Member Posts: 20
    I had 18,000 miles on my Echo and I think I got a lemon. My engine is knocking quite a bit upon any slight acceleration. I tried to put 89 octane gas but this problem still persist. The power steering column once in a while exhibits a series of continuous clunking noise on turns at slow vehicle speed. The dashboard is noisy (rattling) at all times. The four wheel covers also are noisy when the windows are down. I have own several Toyotas before and was satisfied with all except this one. I will take it to my local dealer next Monday to have all the problems look at. I may consider trading in for a Camry.
    For those of you who are thinking of purchasing a new ECHO: my suggestion is "STAY AWAY" or wait another couple more years until Toyota put more effort into refining the darn thing. I think the Edmund review is still very kind to Toyota, if I were asked to write one, it would be much worse based on all the unpleasant experiences I have encountered.
    I like the ECHo's styling, the sitting position, the good gas mileage, good ingress-egress,...but in terms of reliabity: the car is cheaply put together, period!
    Anyone out there has encounter the same problems please share. I am most concerning about the engine noise! Thanx
  • buzzhusebuzzhuse Member Posts: 21
    I did it yesterday for a second or two. It really can do it.
    Sorry to hear about your lemon echolalia but to stay away from the ECHO or any car for that matter because someone had a lemon doesnt make any sense...If we all stayed away from cars models because there was a lemon we would have nothing to chose from & Ford would be out of business...j/k
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    As posted many times, I bought my ECHO from Cliffy1 (where is he now?) in June while still living overseas. Picked it up in early August and have driven it over 23,000 miles since. Many, many road trips to see kids and grandkids. Other than squeeky hub caps, which occured after the tires were rotated, I've not had one problem with the ECHO! Nada, nothing. My local dealer replaced the hubcaps, fixed the cold weather recall and changed the oil every 3k. I love this little car. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles out of it.
    I found a new word today in the newspaper.

Echolalia is the repeating of something previously heard.
    Echolalia is the repeating of something previously heard.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Easy people. Let everyone have their say, and you can put your 2 cents in as well, either to support or to rebuff. All could be done in calmness and respect.

By the sound of it, Echolalia has a lemon. And I don't doubt it. Echolalia said the car is indeed a good car, had there been no defect. Isn't that true for any car? Even a Lexus would be a nightmare if it has to be serviced repeatedly.

With that said, there has not been many defects or lemons sighted over all. Any automaker will have lemons, and the unlucky one has the right to be irritated. But the good thing is, Echo lemons, like most Toyotas, are extremely rare. There fore most owners here have high praises for the vehicle.

Keep in mind, no automaker is perfect. We buy a Toyota to diminish (not entirely eliminate) the possibility of getting a lemon.
    Wasn't Echolalia the person who basically admitted to abusing his car when he first got it and wondered if he should take it into his dealer. I remember there was one person on the board who did it, but not sure if they are the same person. Perhaps someone who knows their way around the board can check this out.

If Echolalia is the person and continued abusing his car, it is no wonder the car is already giving him problems. If the problems are due to the abuse, then Lalia's car is not a lemon.

If the problems are due to the abuse, then Lalia's car is not a lemon.
    Had my Echo for one month.
    Wish I had more places to drive it to.
    I has about 760 miles on it.
    Received my J.C. Whitney arm rest for it.
    Asked the wife about her impression of
    the Echo on it's one month anniversary.
    She looked it over and said that I needed
    to wash it. Well, yeah, she's right.

I think I remember the owner's manual saying
    to rotate the tires after the first four months.
    Since I will not have many miles on it, it seems
    too early to rotate them. Is there a reason other
    than mileage?
    I've had my Seafoam Blue Echo for 8 months and never regret buying it!! It's the best car and so much fun to drive, especially with the gas prices going up again!
  • tmcc1tmcc1 Member Posts: 13
    Just picked up my new Echo tonight. It now has
    42KM on it now.
    I have been following your comments on this car and want to thank you all as it played a big part in my going to take a test drive.
    Love the car.
    Congrats on your new car!!! tell us a bit about it...and I noticed you wrote kilometers, where in Canada are you from?? So far I think its just Danny and I who are the only Canuks on this board (although I think there is someone from toronto too) Enjoy your ECHO!
    It's worth it to take the car to Sears once a year and have them spin balance the wheels for $10 each. You get a lifetime balance after that and can return every year. That will give your tires the longest life. I note that until recently owners manuals recommended NOT changing the tires from one side of the car to the other (rotate only front to back) but that ECHO's manual recommends side to side rotation. How could they be wrong for 20 years? The only thing rotation does is give you consistant tread front and rear. (tires all wear out at the same time)
    Hey Babyboomer,

If you only have 760 miles on your Echo after a month of ownership, you are not trying hard enough to find places to drive it.

My Echo had 55 miles on it when I bought it on 12/29/00 and here it is on 1/16/01 and I am closing in on the 800 mile mark.

This car likes to be driven and I like to drive it.
    I have washed my car twice since getting it back on 12/29/00. I would wash it again this week, but the weather has turned cold again.

I run it through a brushless car wash on the most basic setting. I do not use any setting that will spray a wax coating of any kind at the end. I do not want to dull the sport cladding.

I was wondering if anyone has used a product named Vinylex. I see an ad for it in Automobile magazine. I am also wondering about products made by Stoner who tout themselves as "Solutions Detailers Use." Again, there is an ad for them in Automobile magazine.

Well, time for work. Bye now.
  • 8k8mica8k8mica Member Posts: 19
    Hi guys,
  • 8k8mica8k8mica Member Posts: 19
    Hi guys,
    I have got two more weeks till i get the echo i purchased. Can you guys tell me what tyres you are using. I am thinking of changing my tyres to better ones, plus add on an amp for my stereo
  • rajmoranrajmoran Member Posts: 46
    Goodyears. They seem to be wearing pretty quickly, but that could be a result of my lead foot. They also seem to "spin up" pretty easily in the wet. There again, though, the car is light and I don't spare the rod. I'm going to replace them with Michelins when it's time, I think.

I am at 20,100 problem-free, high mileage, fun-to-drive, awesome stereo miles.
  • echotekechotek Member Posts: 8
    I would like to get an armrest for my Echo also. I have seen them at J.C. Whitney. Please provide any info that you can. What model did you purchase? Was it easy to install? etc. Thanks.
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    I'd like info on the armrest too.
  • jmeyers1jmeyers1 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a 4dr Echo sedan from Toyota due to my moms illness. It generally seems if one drives a small economy car one has to sit sooooo low to the ground which is difficult not only for my elderly mom but, for myself also. The Odd styling prompted my appeal to the car, the layout of the dash likewise. I have recently turned 40... Ive owned 15 new cars since my first day of driving at the age of 16. Four years ago I was driving a Cadillac Sedan Deville... I never thought I would ever drive an econo-box but, after many trips to the dealership for repairs, lack of Quality workmanship I traded the Cadillac for a Honda. Although the Honda was a great car it was like sitting on the ground... so after trading it in on a Toyota... I checked to make sure the vehicle was manufactured... made... etc. in Japan. I have put a 1,000 miles on my Echo and I am so far satisfied with all the pluses the car offers. As far as I am concerned (Detroit) can close its factories... I plan on driving this Toyota till the wheels fall off. Plus... the CEO's of American manufactures can get their (Out of Line Salaries) from someone else. I'll be writing more in the future to let all know how my Toyota is holding up and plus it is fun to laugh while passing the gas pumps! GREAT GAS MILEAGE!!!
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Hey all! It's been only a month since I bought my Echo and already have close to 3000 miles on it. Two trips to Vegas and one to San Diego...
    Low mpg: 33 High: 41
    My brake squeal has ceased and the tranny has loosened a bit but still hard to get into first when cold and sometimes need to double-clutch to get into reverse. Otherwise, love it!
    Once you get used to the dynamics of a tall/short car in a turn you realize that this bugger can corner pretty well. I have yet to squeal the tires...running fronts at 33psi and rear's at 30psi. My car doesn't have the sticker detailing recomended psi for Bridgestone Potenzas. Anyone running at higher psi?
    I need to keep from driving so much... :)
    One huge advantage of the ECHO is that it is the easiest car on the market to get into, especially when compared to the Honda Civic. I have two bulged and one ruptured disc in the lower back and arthritis in my middle back. Riding in my brothers Honda was torture, but I can drive for hours in ECHO.
  • grimjackgrimjack Member Posts: 6
    You'll find me and my green Echo cruising the streets of Ottawa Canada, the only place where it is to dry and cold in the winter and to hot and humid in the summer :) I've had the car for six months of trouble free driving and fully expect my seven year old son to use it to get his drivers license when he turns 16.
    I dont know how it happended since it is the middle of winter but I notice a drop of sap on the front hood. How do I safety get it off without hurting the paint. Im not sure how long its been there. I have a coat paint sealant on the car. Is there a safe and easy product???
  • gt9198bgt9198b Member Posts: 3
    I am debating about buying Echo 2001 (4D, 1.5L, 108HP) or Accent 2001 (4D, 1.6L, 105HP).
    Money is not the problem. Please could someone help me in my decision.
    I still do not have enough trust in Accent even they improved the engine for this 2001 model (now it is 105HP 1.6L, it use to be 92Hp 1.5L). It is a little bit bigger car than Echo and has the best warranty. On the other hand Echo is Toyota and we all know what that means.
    Thanks.