Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    If money is not the problem why are you even considering these cars?

Skupoi platit dvazhdy.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    gt9198b you wouldn't consider buying a Yugo if they were still avalible, would you? If memory serves correctly they also, like Hyundai, had a generous warranty. (with good reason, no one could have any other reason to buy one) But if you DO go for the Accent, please post your experience on this list. (perhaps I am wrong!)
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    J.C. Whitney catalog
    Center armrest/console (1 800 529 4486 to
    place an order 24/7)
    part #13DX5862T gray.
    Also comes in black: 13DX5858A.
    $35.99 plus $10.70 shipping.
    Slides into place over area where emerg brake
    handle is. First impression: too low for me to
    lean on. Maybe can put something there to raise
    it higher. Still glad I have it and matches the gray
    interior almost perfectly. No instructions inside
    box, just pictures on outside of box. Storage
    compartment is okay but CDs would not fit in it.
    Also, lid just lifts up since no latch on it. Will
    brainstorm about it and maybe someone has
    suggestions on raising it up some.
  • tmcc1tmcc1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi Janbee

The car I bought is a silver Echo 2001
    4 door auto, no air.
    I'm from Aldergrove B.C. its about 30 miles east of Vancouver.
    The first day of driving this car (today) I managed to spill my coffee on the floor mat.
    Thank God it was only the mat. Took it over to have it undercoated and had them clean the mat.
    Sure is a pain holding the speed down to 90KM for the first 1600KM, but want to do it right.
    tmcc1 you do not need to hold your speed to 90km/hr for the first 1600km. The Toyoata website says engine rpm should vary between 2500-4000 during breakin. 2500 is like 90 km/hr so according to this website you can go to 4000 which is like 120.
  • 8k8mica8k8mica Member Posts: 19
    Could you give me more info on what speed i should run in the car? i need help my echo is coming in like 2 weeks
  • gt9198bgt9198b Member Posts: 3
    Vadp, When I said money is not the problem I meant the difference in price in-between Echo and Accent is not a problem. Of course I would buy BMW if I could.
    I see you are driving Focus 2000. Would you recommend me to buy Focus instead Echo. Thanks.
    What does it mean "Skupoi platit dvazhdy" ?
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Well, I have certain issues with my Focus.
    The 2000 Foci were plagued with the recalls as everybody knows.
    What nobody mentions is that only the ones built early in the year were affected.
    My 3-door hatch was built in May. And it wasn't affected by any of the recalls except one -
    the A-pillar trim replacement, which is a little plastic part that is not soft enough. Ford is really paranoid nowadays.
    The 2001 model is free of the recalls.
    BTW, it's funny that you mentioned BMW, because the Focus rides and handles like the Bavarian on a budget.
    So far the only problems I encountered after 15000 miles are a strange soft knocking from the manual tranny at idle (which is a design "feature" of the MTX-75 tranny, also installed in the Contour/Cougar) and a brake squeak coming from the rear right drum. That's it.
    Wanna know more?
    http://www.teamfocaljet.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

And if your main priority is fuel economy, don't even bother looking at the Focus.

P.S. regarding "Skupoi platit dvazhdy". It wasn't meant for you. Sorry.
    Try http//owners.toyota.com for information about breakin and other FAQ's
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I checked out the owners site and it says not to exceed 55mph for the first 1000 miles. The dealer said the only thing to remember was to vary the engine speed. The manual, as far as I know, only said to avoid hard starts and holding engine speed. Hmmmm.
    The brake squeal is back (rear drum)but the site says that it's due to the brake pad material.
    Vadp: glad to hear your Focus is doing well. I still think about that car at times :) The Focus is a driver's car and the Echo is an efficient car. Guess we can't have it all! :p
  • blueseatblueseat Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for post on jc whitney armrest.
    2 questions:
    1. Does the unit attach with tape or screws?
    2. Does the unit (When in place) interfere with any brake handle positions?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    1. No screws, no tape. Adjustable metal fins slide
    the unit in place.
    2. I don't use the emerg brake. I could easily pull
    up the unit to get a total grip on the handle if I wanted
    to engaged it. With the armrest in place, I see the
    tip of the emerg handle sticking out.

If I were shorter or the seat could lower then the
    armrest would be perfect. I ordered it since I
    had to see for myself and if they discontinued it
    then I would always have regrets. So I will not
    return it. If my ever so short wife drives it I betcha she finds
    the armrest to her liking. If I tire of it I can remove it.

Hope I helped.
    Kneisl1 Thanks for the speed info and thanks for the web site in later post.
    My manual says max 88km and vary the speed.
    oopsie...yes it does say 55mph but as another post pointed out, 4000rpm is higher than that.
  • remmy6remmy6 Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering buying the Echo for gas mileage. What service expense have any if you experienced say for the first year? Oil changes, Totota service cost, etc.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    While reading through the posts, I can see many happy Echo owners. The only question I have is why would anyone buy such an ugly car? The only thing uglier on the road is the Aztek, and frankly I don't know what the appeal of this car is. The Corolla is a much better car and doesn't cost much more. Why Echo (just curious)??
    This is where I saw the information about the 4000 rpm limit. Go to owners at Toyota dot com. You'll need to register using your VIN number. (can't do it if you don't own a Toyota!) Enter the site and click on: Maintaining your Toyota, then click on FAQ Maintainence Questions, then, Breakin Period. See second item. The first one says: don't exceed 55mph. The second one says: run between 2,000-4,000 rpm. These are two mutualily exclusive ideas - 2500 rpm in fifth gear means 55 mph. 4000 rpm means something like 75 mph. So they are morons for publishing this, right? Right!!! Remember: the technicians are no longer in charge who write this stuff at car companies. It's all advertising, public relations people, and lawyers who write this. (laywers because Toyota gets frivolous lawsuits they (correction: WE) have to pay millions on a year to settle) So WHY do they specify a breakin poeriod? Because occasionally one of their engines isn't built right and blows up after a few thousand miles. (it happens) Or, more likely, some idiot abuses the hell out of it and complains when it fails early. So they have this "breakin" thing to fall back on when dealing with these problems.
    Remmy6. After I bought my ECHO, the Toyota dealer sent me a coupon for a $10 oil change which is about what I can do it myself for. Really there are no maintainence things to do until the car hits 30,000 miles except change the oil and inspect fasteners etc.
    Dindak here is a saying for you: ugly is skin deep whereas bad goes right to the bone.
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    If somone buys a car because it is "cool" looking then they are prob in need of some confidence.. You say the Corolla is better??? For who?? Not me it isnt, the ECHO has more headroom, and it also sits higher off the ground, there is more trunk space, and its amazing on gas...I looked at the Corolla because true, it is not much more than the ECHO but it reeked family sedan, all I could think of when sitting in the Corolla was where is the baby seat??
  • echotekechotek Member Posts: 8
    I have seen you over at the Aztek board. You must really have nothing better to do with your time. You're right though, we all love our Echo's. And quess what? My wife just purchased a new car. Can you quess what it is?.....you got it, an Aztek. We both love our cars. Sorry you don't. Now get outta here!!!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Styling is totally the opinion of the buyer of the car. Not to be nasty, but if everyone liked the same thing we would all be driving Honda Accords or Toyota Camrys.

I happen to like the design of the Echo. It's different and funky, and I like that about it. As far as the Aztek, it's not too bad looking either. It just takes a little to get used to the front end of it. And I also hate the fact that there is no rear wiper on it either.
    Some people hate to see others enjoying what they have. People ask me why I didn't buy a Corolla as well and all I have to say is why would I buy old technology with less space and more money? Besides, the new Corolla IS the Echo...only it will be bigger.
    So all you insecure people that have nothing better to do than call the Echo ugly; I am laughing everytime I pass a gas station!
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    Everyone previously has been correct. A car buyer(new or used) should take into consideration a number of factors such as family needs, type of commute, business needs (do i take clients out to lunch) or a myriad of other things. Looks however are a large factor. If you dont like the way a car looks dont buy it. You'll live to regret it later. People have said the echo looks cartoonish like the old beetle (not that I should be making such a comparision considering the beetle is an icon) The ec-ho seems to keep many people happy jsut as the original beetle did.
    I personally do not care for the echo or aztec. Neither fills the needs of my wife or myself but that does not mean that they will not work for someone else. I like my ford F150 4X4 with its big honkin V8 and my wife adores her civic with her 160 hp vtec. One thing should be said however about common cars such as the F150 or the civic. PArts are relatively cheaper than a lower volume car such as the echo or aztec. i hope everyone enjoyed my rantings. Until next time my little friends
    Easy dude!! I was just asking. Don't have to dump on me. I didn't say it was a bad car, I just want to know why people are attracted to it. As for "spare time".. the same could said about you.
  • rajmoranrajmoran Member Posts: 46
    The way it looks is a function of the fact that it was designed to give an extremely low coefficient of drag while providing ample headroom and interior space for its occupants. It succeeds spectacularly in that mission, and manages to look cool doing it.

All that aside, I like the look of the ECHO from a purely aesthetic standpoint as well. I especially like the crease that runs along the side of the car forming a visual "shoulder" of sorts. The body cladding is also a cool visual cue, IMO, as is the nice ECHO badge on the back of the car. I'm a big fan of science fiction and of Japanese cartoons, so maybe that has something to do with it. I also have a huge respect for Japanese engineering and design, which in my extensive experience is almost uniformly excellent.
  • echotekechotek Member Posts: 8
    Not so my friend. Unlike you, I only venture into the two forums that pertain to the vehicles that I OWN. Hoping to find meaningful and informative dialogue. There is a good core group of Echo owners here, and some that are interested in possible becoming one. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Aztek forum, which has been commandeered by a group of about a half dozen or so of the same people that write in on a daily basis about how ugly they think the Aztek is. Sounds like an exciting existence. But hey, whatever floats your boat. If your idea of a good time is trolling around the interned commenting on things that supposedly don't interest you, then be my quest. Or better yet, why don't you start your own forum for people that like to stir things up and not really talk about anything of importance (just curious?)

-Rich
    If you read my posts in the Aztek forum you would see that I am generally a defender of the vehicle. I'm sorry if I am a car nut and like to take breaks during the day to find out more about different cars/trucks. While I don't like the looks of the Echo or the Aztek, I want to know more anyway which is why I asked the reasons for people buying an Echo. If I offended you buy saying ugly.. I'm sorry. If you want to be nasty to me for no reason, that's your prerogative I guess. I have done nothing to you.
    You are taking about the Echo's looks and saying it's ugly. From what I have read in the Cavalier forum, you own one of those. Alot of people would say they are one of the most technically handicapped vehicles in their class, along with unrefined and unreliable and ugly. But that would be someone else's opinion and clearly not yours, because you own one. These forums are not available to criticise each other and knock one's mode of transportation, they are put up to help people make informed decisions about the second most important purchase of their lives. Think about that nextt time you go to post something that has no place being in one of the forums.
    Cavalier is on lease. It's been a good car but you are right.. no keeper. I asked a question and I have already appoligized for calling it ugly. I resent you talking down to me however.
    I apologize for talking down to you in the last sentence. I shouldn't have done that. But I was just trying to get the point across. Just as I hurt your feeling by talking down (and I do apologize again for that), you might have gotten under the skin of some people in this room by calling their cars ugly. But we all learn in life I guess. No harm done I hope.
  • sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    I thought the Echo was ugly when i first saw it. I researched and test drove and ended up buying it because it fit my needs (roomy, good gas mileage, reliability, big trunk). The more I looked at it the more it "grew" on me. I have put 21,500 miles on mine in 7 months of driving and now I'm so comfortable with it I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

By the way, you can't see the outside when your'e driving it!
    I added a poll to my website a couple weeks ago and invited everyone here to come and vote. Here is the question and the results of the 32 votes I have received to date:

From personal driving experience, do you prefer the center mounted gauges of the Echo, or do you prefer the "standard" placement?

Center placement 90.63 % (29)
    Standard placement 9.38 % (3)
    Total votes: 32
    I took part in your poll, and I really enjoyed your website, but Im a little lazy and dont feel like scrolling back..what is your website again or what is the post # that I can refer too, thanks!
    Let's just say the Echo has polarizing appeal to it's looks. You either like it or don't. I don't, though I never said the Echo was a bad car. I'm just not really sure why one buys Echo over say Corolla, Civic, Prizm or even Focus.
    Compared to Prizm, Corolla, Focus, and Civic ECHO is:
    1) cheaper
    2) roomier inside
    3) more comfortable
    4) better mileage
    5) easier to get in and out of
    6) more fun to own and drive
    To me, cars are just a way to get from A to B. For a pleasureable driving experience,nothing compares to a motorcycle.
    We could play this stupid game on any car/truck/SUV etc. out there. Its
    called choice and preferance.
    dindak
    The reason I bought the Echo was the easier to get into and out of and the higher seating than the Corolla. Also the gas mileage was a concern as I drive 120km per day for work.
    I followed this group for a while and was impressed by the comments about the Echo.
    Also followed a group on the Focus and saw lots of unhappy notes.
    For me I bought the right car.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    #1. Cruise control.
    #2. Tachometer.
    #3. LE model with nicer seats, padded armrests.
    Keep everything else "as is" on current ECHO.

ECHO is a bargain for a base ECHO but some options
    are quite pricey. These 3 options should not add very much to the price of the very comfortable, great performing, fuel-efficient car.
    I put my email address on a red Echo I saw in Jacksonville, Fla
    and received this reply:

"hey there...isn't your new echo exciting...i'm soooo glad you dropped your
    e-mail...when i first got mine in august i wanted to race with other echos
    but toyota drivers don't seem to be into it...i'm trying to get my car
    wrapped....the futuristic shell will look great with a corporate sponsor
    advertisement...is the 2001 much different from my 2000....the 2000's were
    recalled in the 19 norhtern most states to replace the vacuum port....c-ya"

I emailed back to recommend he join as a fellow poster. Requested he
    send a picture of that wrapped Echo.
    my previous car was a civic ex-v...It was a nice car but when it was time for me to buy a new car, the new civics just didnt do it for me, I didnt care for the new styling..which is why I looked at the Corolla but it was even more dull...I decided on the ECHO because it seemed more young looking to me, and the fact that it was different and hardly anyone else had one (unlike a civic, seems that everyother person out there owns one)The civic is a nice car but I wanted a change..I also decided on Toyota because my mom has a Camry and Toyota seemed to service it cheaper than Honda serviced the civic..
  • echoluvrstecholuvrst Member Posts: 111
    Once again I have to laugh at Dindak and people like him. He comes in and calls the Echo ugly and then gets really defensive when people start flaming back. I don't care what you think about the looks of my car because I bought it for me. However, if you flame the car or someone who posts in here, you have to expect to be flamed back. I am curious as to why you are driving the Cavalier (lease or not). Did the wife make you?

I had to go to my hometown yesterday and because of that trip I have passed both one thousand miles on the speedometer in general and one thousand miles driven by me in particular.

Monday I go and get my car licensed. I am going to see if I can get a vanity plate. If I get it or even if I cannot, my Edmunds "name" will change. It will be the fully spelled out version of what will hopefully be my license plate. This name fits so many things and I cannot wait until I can "unwrap" it for you.

I had this name in the back of my head for a long, long time and I owe that to someone on this board. They made a comment about the Echo which made me think of something and I realized that this would be a great name.

Well, I want to check a few things on other parts of the Edmunds board so it is time for me to log out.

Talk to you later. I am going to my mother's sometime this weekend and not sure how much posting I will do so might not "see" you until sometime Monday.

Oh, yeah, just thought of a couple more things. My company had an early morning meeting and on the way there, I saw a gray Echo with a gentleman driving. After he passed me, I caught up with him and waved. He looked at me like I was a nut. On the way back home zipping along I-70, I was passed by a woman in a white Echo. It took a little bit of exceeding the speed limit, but I caught back up to her too. I waved and while she did not wave back, I could see that she was smiling just a bit.

Again, talk to you later.
    I already appoligized for my comment twice. I deserved the flames I guess. I still don't like the looks, but I am interested in reasons for buying an Echo. As for the cavalier, I don't drive it.. my wife does. It was a company car.
    One could go on all day about why one side chooses toyota and the other chooses Honda. Its turning out to be the same thing as chevy vs ford (with nissan playing the part of chrysler) as to service, I do my own service and my brother in law (who is a mechanic) helps with in-depth stuff so I pay pennies on the dollar for service. I jsut love getting my hands dirty under the hood. I have even begun getting into the diagnostic end of it with my B.I.L's help. MAkes a great hobby and is a great way to REALLY get to know the way a car works. I encouage every car owner to get involved in at least some part of servicing their car wither it be changing the oil, air filter or rotating their tires. Everyone knows some one who can help them do these things. My wife started by doing these things with me and now she spends about 75% of the time under the hood as I do. Beats the crap out of watching that boring as hell lifetime channel with her. Daily rant over. Late - TAZ
    Can't wait to see your vanity plate. Mine is
    "TNGO KIR" Hint: it's not in english. :)
    In Los Angeles, where traffic is a bear and parking even worse, there are many Echo's. In my neighborhood alone there are at least 5 and 3 of those are the electric green like mine.
    So if any of you are in Los Angeles and see my electric green Echo, say hi!
  • missieminnmissieminn Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know why Toyota never advertises the Echo? Toyota NEVER menions the Echo on tv commercials or radio ads, and have seen only one print ad, in Sept or Oct in Glamour magazine, which suprised the heck out of me, but I guess they are aiming at a young audience. Ford advertises so heavily for the Focus, and there are soooo many of them on the road, so maybe advertising the Echo could boost sales. One of my friends suggested Toyota doesn't advertise the Echo is because it's their least expensive car, does anyone think that is the reason?
    I think it has to do with the fact that they don't sell a whole lot of them. I guess they don't get enough bang for their buck.
    My website address:

http://members.nbci.com/sonatafan

• tracey8tracey8 Member Posts: 6
    I'm a thirty year old woman who has been the owner of a 92 Corolla for the past nine years. I have loved my Corolla well and it has been the best car anyone in my family has ever had. In all these years I have only had to replace the muffler and the starter. I got a surprise 3 weeks ago when my parents told me they were going to buy me a new car. They just happened to call me up at work and said they had a surprise for me. (I am a nanny-I don't make a lot of money and my mom and dad are quite well off). I had a choice between a focus, a neon, or the echo. My mother was really pushing for the focus. I had never seen any advertisements for the Echo and had absolutely no idea what it was like. When I went to my Toyota dealer to look at them there happened to be a dark blue one in the showroom. The instant I saw the Echo I loved it! I thought it was the most happening looking car I'd seen in a long time and I fell in love it. I knew it was supposed to be a replacement for the tercel (which i'd always hated) so i wasn't expecting much. The moment i saw the car i LOVED it. The interior, the body, everything. I don't understand why people say it is ugly because i honestly think it is so sporty/cool. Obviously i picked the Echo as my new car (dark blue) and have had it for a week now. It's fantastic. I like the body a 100x better than the new Corolla's (my corolla had the older style body which I still like btw). My dad likes the look of it too although my mom doesn't. I just don't understand. Do i see something different than other people? I couldn't believe what a nice looking car it was! The echo is targeted for young people and it sure hit the mark with me! The only thing i don't like is that i have to get a 1000km (i'm Canadian) on it before i can really let it fly!
    yes one could argue both sides of toyota and honda but you clearly marked that civic was more fun to drive and I was saying that in my experience if I really found the civic that much more fun to drive I would have bought one. I never stated that toyota was better than honda or vice versa.