Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    kkops:

1. Gas gauage - my 2000 E-class had that problem, got it fixed at the dealer.

2. Volume control can be turned off or fine-tuned at the dealer using their computer, I have seen it all and mine disabled.

3. Cup holder - mine locks when I press down on the silver button, get yours fixed at the dealer!
  • kkopskkops Member Posts: 14
    44264, ahmadm & Jean,

Thank you for your comments regarding my posting. I will have the dealer check the items that they should fix. Jean & ahmadm thanks also for the break in information regarding the car, that is very helpful to me.

P.S. I also forgot to mention the roaring sound that first occurs when I start the engine which has been mentioned on this site as well. It lasts for about 30 seconds and then quiets down. I don't believe this is a defect but I do wonder why some cars have it and other don't.

Kevin
  • leothelionleothelion Member Posts: 14
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    engine roar is to get engine and catalytic converter warmed up to ultra low emission level.

Radio volumn, mine is ok except when radio is low and speed goes to 20 mph or less, then one can barely hear it. It can be adjusted and will wait till routine mait. I was unaware it adjusts to cabin noise. I think a pink noise generator (or is it white?) is what can cancel out increased noise, but was also not aware it had such a feature.

For those with 430 and goodyear tires, does anyone notice the slight groan when car stops??
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi all. I am from Canada, and a long time reader of this forum. I consider getting a 2001 E320 now; but according to the recent information I get, I believe the 2003 model, a complete new design, will be coming out in late 2002. I am torn between 'buy now or wait for new model.' I would appreciate any suggestion or advice to help me making my mind up. Thanks a lot
    Louis
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    I've read a few posts about a thump from the rear of the car on left turns. I had exactly this problem ('00 E320), which sounded as if it were coming from the rear suspension or, perhaps, the exhaust system. It turned out to be the *front* anti-roll bar. Where the bar passes through the two rubber bushings (on the center section of the bar), the bar was binding in the bushings. Smoothing the bar at this point and adding some silicone grease has silenced the problem for about 5,000 miles now.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Louis -

I was in your shoes for last two months as well, buy now or wait for 2003 model. I ordered 2001 E430 last weekend. Delivery date for my E430 would be in mid-May or first-half of June.

My suggestion, make up your mind and sooner you take decision sooner you will be able to drive this wonderful machine.
    Weird thing happend while filling up. When about finished, I usually click once or twice, to top it off, but get a little more gas in, not too much.... The second click never happend. Instead while gazing off into oblivion, I realized that gas was just going in, and gas was pouring out under the car. Not comming out back from the nozzle and through spill off drain, but at some point lower. Realizing emulsifying ones person was not what I was trying to do, I stopped. Lucky it had just snowed and water and slush every where. Gas tank did not get fulled only registering 19.5 gallons.

Is there a valve or drain further below the cap area that would have opened?
    THis was weird.
    should you buy now or wait. This has been addressed a few times in the last 6 weeks. Many fine responses have been posted. You would be served better to go back and look.

If you have been a long time reader, then you would have seen them.

Being from Canada is nice.

What are you driving now and how soon do you need to replace?

I absolutly love my 01' e-430. A good friend of mine bought my 11 year old s class and gets many compliments on it. These vehicles hold up great and while a newer model will appear, I will appreciate it, but still love what I have. (like a good marriage). If you must have the newest, and love the accolades of having the new one, then go for it. Of course it will have the same engines the present models have, cost more, and you'll need to wait 18 plus months. Then you'll worry about having first run of cars and if they got the bugs worked out. Two years later they'll have the new engines and first upgrades. Then we'll be buying them (Us being recent purchase of the E). The current model is a great car, the last evolution , and great to look at. There are some good deals if you can shop clean.

Good luck
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The nozzle kept clicking each time I changed the angle. Finally, I apparently found a good angle and the gas kept filling the tank. It kept going and going until it reached my pre-paid $30 level, way beyond what I had expected.

As soon as I took the nozzle out, the gas gushed out, creating an embarassing scene for me. I recall that some people in this forum had mentioned that they couldn't start their car after such an occurence. Fortunately, I had no problem starting the car.

Since then, I've avoided that particular gas station and have taken note from the dash, before pumping, of the gallons remaining until I reach the 21.1 gallon capacity. So far, it's been a one time only incident.

Jack
    My car did start right away, did it gush back out at you or at some point under the car???

Anybody else?

My wife thinks this is a male thing that we must take the nozzle insert to rececpticle, fill it with fluid and must get every drop in. To that I answer: Yes it is, honey!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I have to admit that I'm surprised at this because I've never had this problem! I wonder if the gas pump nozzles are different in my area or something like that. If the gas does overflow, wash the paint in that area with water ASAP. The gasoline is not good for the paint. One of the ML owners has something called a Fuelguard. You may want to check it out here.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Twice the gas gushed out of my tank. The second time was beneficial because it repaired the fuel needle which is no longer shy from kissing the F. Twice the engine started immediately with the ``Check Engine`` light on. It went off after I opened the tank cap to let the excess pressure out.
    Bargamon: I assume what happened is the following: while you were working hard to let every drop of gas in, and while the gas nozzle is tight in the tank pipe, the inner pressure let some gas out around the gas nozzle without your noticing it. This gas sipped through a small hole under the gas filler pipe to underneath the car.
    This problem of gas filling first appeared in 1977 models. I am amazed with the fact that MB engineers are still copying this dangerous design to the newer models.
    Jean
    I was not attempting to fill to the brim.

Gas did not come back at me, touch the paint, or overflow the pipe and drain thru the small hole that goes under the car. Literally, as it was pumping, it was flowing out at a rather rapid flow in the place where the drain would go to. The small hole/drain could not handle such volume.

I will attempt to gas up again soon. I will not try to replicate. I would hope we can get the 21 gallons in this time. Very weird. If anyone has any idea, please share. If it happens again and I seek service, I will update the choir here.

Jean/Drew-----thanks for you reponse.
  • lluc168lluc168 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered my 01 430 tectite gray(extra $1000 for this color) with charcoal interior,E2,mufti contour seats. The cost is invoice +500+400 (national advertising fee.) Total cost $53,900+tax+doc fee -out the door price approx $60,000. The delivery date apprx end of March,01. And for extra $500, the dealer will deliver the vehicle to my home(Santa Clara County, California). I welcome any comments.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is starting in 6 minutes time. See you there!
    /direct/view/.eea61db

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • porscheboxsterporscheboxster Member Posts: 2
    As you can probably tell from my sign on name, I am an ex-Porsche owner proud to be the owner of a "00 E430. I am new to Mercedes and new to this board, so forgive me for asking a question I am sure has been covered multiple times.

I was going to order my car with Xenon headlights, but found a demo I wanted with everything but the headlights, so the good price won out. I would like to add the xenon headlights if possible. I do not want the hella bulbs or the philips bulbs, but am looking to replace the whole headlight assembly with the factory unit. Performance Products has a sale until 03/01 on assemblies they claim are OEM. My question is, does anyone know who the OEM for these assemblies is, and is it a simple swap out - old assembly for new assembly with no modifications. One provider of these units said it was and the only other change would be to change the fuse for the circuit.

Thanks in advance for any advice
  • sylvessylves Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 01 E320 station wagon last week. It was January 01 build. Part of the extras is a command system I/voice command. The system partially died the following day. The dealer replaced the system with a new unit. Car was returned to me and the voice command portion did not work, called the dealer back and was told that Mercedes had a service bulletin acknowledging that there was is a problem with the new command system and did not a fix for it yet.
    Wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the new command system. Thanks for any comments.
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Thanks all for the good tips and advice. You people have helped me to make up my mind and clear all the doubts I have. I will go to order one E320 tomorrow. Thanks again. BTW, I am driving a C280 right now and is still a great car; but I need a bit more room and power, that's why I am changing. Thanks again.
    Louis
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    I spoke to the service advisor at my local dealer and he said they will be using Mobil 1 0w-30 synthetic which I believe should be approved by MB since Mobil 1 carries the symbol (I think ACEA or something) which are certified by Europeans for their cars. Sounds good to me.
    Sorry, I mean to say 0w-40 Mobil 1 synthetic.
  • quirkquirk Member Posts: 5
    i have been thinking about replacing the headlight bulbs in my 320 wagon. the manual calls for HB2 bulbs and a few websites that i went to state that the car uses H4/9003 bulbs. are these interchangable?? any recommendations??

thanks

carl
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Richard,

Anyone who knows me here on townhall, knows I wont be able to resist answering your question regarding a xenon swap (even if im not supposed to do this at work...)

I just saw your post on the board, and I dont even know if you will get this in time, but I would check out this link. They have a set of xenon lamps for the E-Class on auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=561602090&r=0&t=0

As far as retrofitting the lamps, it IS possible to add the xenons to your E. In addition, you can add the auto level and the washer jets to your E-Class, too.

I added the ML55 Lamps to my ML430 and the conversion was easy. If you do go for this option, check out the prices at Clair Parts Express, at least the headlamp units. Usually they have good prices. They most likely wont have the autolevel parts or the headlamp washer units, for these you will have to go to Performance Unlimited.

Performance Unlimited Motoring Accessories Website

http://www.puma-access.com

I have sent many people here for their very own ML Xenon Conversion. They were able to get everything at one place. But they do have and can get the OEM headlamp assembly as well as the autolevel sensors and headlam washer units.

I would check out the lamps at your local MB dealership, however be prepared for a barage of service advisors saying "IT CANT BE DONE". It can be done! The prices at the dealership will also be more inflated.

Robert

forgot, the OEM is HELLA

Robert
  • porscheboxsterporscheboxster Member Posts: 2
    Robert,

Thanks for all the great advice. You are absolutely right about the dealer, they said it was a factory only job.

I am right now checking different sources you referred me. Did you do this conversion yourself and how difficult is it? As stated, one supplier said the headlight assemblies are a straight swap out, which I think I am capable of doing. What about the auto sensors. I assume my car is like my Boxster, all the wiring is in place for all optional features and needs to be accessed.

Thanks again for all your help
  • wood190wood190 Member Posts: 4
    What's involve to change the turn signal indicator light bulb on a 91 E190?
    I verified the Hella HID Head lamps assembly several months ago. They come complete with the transformers for the HID bulbs and the whole assembly is fit, form and function with your existing head lamps. You are not required to install the headlight washer (if case you do not have one) in North America. It is not difficult to replace your existing units if the work is done by a qualified technician. Where it gets tricky is if you insist on installing the auto-level system, this job can only be done by your dealer. Dealers do not like to install the HID system on Halogen cars before apparently MB will not deliver the unit except for a factory HID car. But if you buy the equipment from Hella then the dealer will charge you for the time spent. I opted out of this choice because of the total cost involved: equipment + labor = 3 times the original MB option cost - (minus) MB Warraty.
    Good Luck.
    Jean
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    2001 E430 4Matic ordered on 9/23/00, and it's finally on the water! Now I'm hoping there's no subs nearby!
  • leothelionleothelion Member Posts: 14
    DENNIS mentioned that a dealer told him about a 5K discount for the 2001 E320 starting in June, anyone else heard that?

Thanks.
    The Xenons for the E-class have been out since 98 or 99, if not before then too. I know for a fact they were available in 99.

On My ML, I did the conversion myself. It was a 20min/headlamp job.

You can see pics here at http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm.

There are three places that I would check

Clair PArts Express

PUMA (Performance Unlimited)

Hohn MB in California.

You COULD opt only to install the headlamps as like jean said you dont need to have the autolevel and the washer. I have found that they are not that necessary on my ML.

Robert

• svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Erik, Though I do not know the reality around 2001 discounts but just to let you know
    that I did get $ 5300 off the MSRP in 2000 August. I do not see any reason why this
    may not be repeated as E-Class,a great car in every respect, is a bit out of
    competition in terms of Pricing IMHO.

I am also in the market for a E320 4 Matic / M430 to replace my 1997 C230. Not sure
    which one I will go for. M 430, A lot of bang for the buck but E Class, just too good
    looking and refined inside and outside. Final price may tilt my decision.Good Luck
    Thanks for the info. I read this article before following your recommendation in a different forum. Impressive work, thanks for sharing it with us. After the failure of the Xenon bulbs, the factory headlights failed within two weeks then the parking lights. Apparently humidity (in my indoor ventilated/heated garage) was sipping to the projectors during the bulbs replacement and was damaging the bulbs. My dealer was good enough to replace all my bulbs and light assembly covers under warranty. During this procedure I learned the appropriate way for bulb replacement. I will revisit the Xenon issue during summer when humidity, rain, snow blizzards and ice are less damaging outdoor and indoor.
    Jean
  • williams17williams17 Member Posts: 3
    I also had problems with seat noise on the drivers side. I brought it in and believe it or not, they actually fixed it. Bring it in. Take care.
    I went to replace the 6 gallons in the tank since the Bilge decided to expell gas from the bottom of the boat....er car. When I started to gas up, the first rush of the gas going into the pipe dis cause some gas to drip out the bottom of the car. Upon inspection, you could see the fumes after the dripping started. I did not try to put anymore in this time. I will call service tomorrow.

Wood190: Try looking at the owners manual. I would recommend OEM for bulbs.

Perhaps others could discuss last summers discounting. It lasts till about october, the prices get better over time, problem best colors get sold first, and well equiped cars go last. Alot of times the equip drives up price higher than many want to go.

I got from airpress a new shifter, chrome base with a burl top, with a logo insert. About $125. It can be found in the "all model" catagorie. very sharp!
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    How easy is it to change out the shift knob for one of the replacement burl types?

Any information on this would be appreciated,

JR
    I had a noisy driver's seat that whenever I turn or bear right it sounded as something is scraping against the seat. I brought it in to the dealer and the fixed the problem. Not sure what they did though.
    When I finally got my car, I ordered a wood and leather steering wheel along with a wood and leather shift knob. My interior is java. The steering wheel they installed matched the wood and the inner steering wheel perfectly. However, the leather top of the shift knob was of a grayish tan, rather than the medium tan that appears in top of the dash, the steering wheel, and on top of each door.

The dealer told me that there is no E-class wood and leather shift knob for the E-class. So they gave me the equivalent S-class knob. Apparently, the S-class has this grayish-tan color contrast, which differs from that in the E-class.

I found this shift knob to be quite elegant, with a chrome bottom cap, dark walnut burl, topped by the grayish-tan leather. However, the mismatched color kept bothering me. So I went to another dealer (using COMAND to get me there). He showed me the catalog, indicating that they had the steering wheel, but no shift knob for the E-class. He even called the MB supplier to confirm this.

Finally, I found a straight wood shift knob on the gapa web site. This had an elegant bottom chrome cap, along with perfectly matched wood at a special price of $89.50. After I put in on, I knew I was now completely satisfied. It's an interesting look having an all wood center console.

The way to remove the old shift knob is to turn the chrome cap counter-clockwise. Then firmly pull the old shift knob straight up. The installation of the new shift knob is the reverse.

Jack
    Jack,

You mind me asking where you got the leather/wood steering where and what it cost for parts and labor? I am very interested in having that on my E320. Thanks.

Vinny
    Vinny, the total (parts plus labor) was close to $1,000.

Jack
    Oh, I got it from the dealer. I'm sure you could find a better price elsewhere. The key is to make sure that both the leather and the wood match up with the rest of the interior.

Jack
    Jack,

Thanks for your post. Wow, I guess I better stick to my stock steering wheel. just got hit pretty bad with a 2001 excise tax bill.

Vinny
  • texbeantexbean Member Posts: 38
    Greetings from the great state of Texas. I have a '99 E Class, and will soon need to replace the tires. Only 22K miles on the OEM Michelins, so that's not the way I want to go. Pretty disappointing, but I only got 25K mi from the OEM tires on my wife's C Class. Would like suggestions and experiences from those of you that have replaced your tires. What did you go with, and how is the wear so far? It would be nice to get 30K mi on the next set.

Thanks in advance for your info.

Texbean (Accountant from Texas)
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    some great pics for driving enthusiasts of the AMG factory and cars...

http://www.neighbourhoodinter.net/mbclk/images/amgfactory/

Are the pictures from a trip you took??

Great photos!

E-55 4matic wagon......The perfect family machine! was the suspension and tire choices as hard as sedan?

Thanks for sharing them with us!
  • grahamduhamelgrahamduhamel Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase either a new E320 or a BMW 530. The dealers here in Houston pretty much want MSRP on the E320. Do any of you know of dealers here in the southwest who offer better pricing? I am also interested to find out if the previously mentioned $5K disount on the E320 starting in June is truth or fiction.

Thanks
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    Graham,
    Contact Robert at Mercedes of North Houston. I purchased an '01 E320 last August at a discount. Following is his mail address: "Swift, Robert"
    Good Luck.
  • bad10bad10 Member Posts: 11
    Mercedes Benz of San Diego has all E320"s clearly marked with a $3000. discount. Mercedes of Escondido said they are dealing as well. BAD10
  • prevostxlvprevostxlv Member Posts: 20
    I know Europe has the E430 4matic wagon but does anyone know if we will see this drivetrain configuration in the new series for the US market. Interested to know -- I wish the E55 4matic wagon was available here in the US (great pictures)!!!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    www.fosmo.com, a UK company has Philips Vision plus bulbs for $32.00 a pair deliviered
    SW Stereo in Bern NC has 6 disc Becker cd units, better than the MB Alpine, imho, 1-800-270-BEST
    If anyone is looking for a discounted MB 4 yr 50K premium warranty, e-mail me and I will pass the information on.
  • retiredjeffretiredjeff Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone found a mudflaps source for a 2000 E320 (besides the dealer)? Also, are they self-installable - what's involved?

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.