Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• rokinkeadrokinkead Member Posts: 18
    I recently started hearing a rattle in the right rear suspension area of my '01e320 when riding over bumps. It even sounds when I bounce the car while it is stationary. Can anyone shed some light on it? I saw discussions about this several posts back. I just do not recall where to check.

Thanks
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Personally I have not seen Wedgewood Blue. But by looking at this colour in the Broucher and also on MBUSA website, I really think that Wedgewood will look great on E430. The car will really standout in this especially chrome grill and headlamps and also all the curves in the car. But on other hand I am getting this feeling that probably after few months or even after a year or two I probably will stop liking this colour.

The other colour I am thinking is Silver and Ash(you will see lot of E's in this colour).

Could some of you help me on this. I will really appreciate your opinions.
  • 68726872 Member Posts: 3
    I have just ordered a e320 fourmatic wagon. does anyone know if you can take a European delivery of the E55 amg wagon I saw posted in these pages? or should I wait for the new body style. the dealer was concerned about ordering it fully loaded the way I did. he told me that if I back out of the deal for any reason they will only refund 1000 of my 2000 deposit. I appreciate any input. thankyou.
  • johnkc123johnkc123 Member Posts: 7
    I am interested in the 4 year, 50k mile extended warranty information. My e-mail address is johnkc@erols.com.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    Vinny, I got the wood and leather steering wheel and all the other overpriced accessories while I was still in a state of irrational exuberance. As overpriced as factory options are, the dealer-installed accessories are outrageous.

Jack
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    nabeel: Thanks you for sharing them with us.
    Jean
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    This week chat with Edmunds.com's managing editor, Karl Brauer. The chat is tonight at 5-6pm Pacific:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/brauerchat022701.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    "He brought you "Confessions Of a Car Salesman" to give you the inside story of his undercover work as a car salesman. For this chat, Chandler Phillips goes one-on-one with "The Cardinal", Dependable Dodge's own Marc Antonucci . Don't miss this battle of truths as these two give it to you straight."

If you haven't read Edmunds.com's confessions of a car salesman, I highly recommend you do so. I found it very entertaining, and yet enlightening as to what may go on in auto dealerships.

Drew
    Host
    Those of you living in or close to NY may be interested in Edmunds.com's NY editor contest.
  • ahmadmahmadm Member Posts: 15
    Folks, I just wanted to bring up an issue that I recently ran into regarding my 30 days old E320. Few days ago I ended up having a flat, which resulted into side-walls damage. The original tires on my E320 are Michelin MXV4 215/55/R16, 93 H. When I started looking around for the tire, I was told by almost every retailer in my area (MD) that the MXV4 are discontinued and have been replaced by MXV4-Plus. Hence, I will need to get both tires on the axle replaced with the Plus ones. I called Michelin and they also confirmed that MXV4 have been phased out, though still can be found at some retailers. Michelin was willing to help find one. Michelin also advised not to mix MXV4 with MXV4-Plus on the same vehicle. Anyways, the dealer came around and promised to take care of it by having one shipped from somewhere. This whole rigmarole frustrated me to the point that I called Mercedes Benz Customer Service directly and asked why was I sold a car with known obsolete equipment on it, and what if I run into the same problem again? Their flat response was that they did not have any control over the tire manufacturers and nothing can be done about it!! I have also come to know through some people in the MB sales business that Mercedes got a deal on these tires when Michelin decided to phase them out. Pretty cheap stuff on MB's part.

Bottom line: To all of you prospective buyers, watch out for MXV4, they are a pain to get! Get your dealer to give you MXV4-Plus as original equipment.

--Mohammad.
  • stevejjjjjstevejjjjj Member Posts: 31
    Since the tires are so new, why don't you just have a garage or even you dealer take out the tire on the spare and mount it onto your wheel and get another brand of whatever tire and mount that on the spare. I had that issue with a tire that wasn't repairable on my 2000 E320. I faced what you are dealing with now since the Goodyears were available but for $140 each. Actually I could have bought it on tirerack for $104 each. So NTB told me to do that and put a cheap BF Goodrich on the spare. Nevertheless I coughed up the money and got a Goodyear. Just a thought. Good Luck.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    What about the Michelin Tires warrantee for road hazards. My Canadian 1999 E came with the same tires two years ago + the Michelin Road Hazard Warranty. Unless this warrantee in a Canadian thing for Canadian roads only. If you have a warranty you should pass on your problem to Michelin!
    Jean
  • keikoe55keikoe55 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2000 I Can any one help me to locate a cd-changer beside to get the from dealer and thank you for your help
  • ahmadmahmadm Member Posts: 15
    Steve:
    Replacing with the spare tire would have been the path to follow had the dealer not come around for me. The thing that pissed me off was that, MB installed the tires with the knowledge, seemingly, that the tires were being phased out. Paying 50K-60K for a car and getting obsolete equipment just does not make sense to me.

Jean:
    No, the tires here do not come with road hazard warranty. Apparently, Hyndai is the only manufacturer which sells such coverage on new cars in US.
    Well that's weird. The '98 E320 4-matic that I drive came with Michelin MXV4+ tires straight from the factory. It is true though, that MBUSA has no control over what tires come with the car.

As for the road hazard warranty, if you look in the tire warranty booklet, you can probably purchase it from a Michelin dealer.

Drew
    Host
  • dolamitedolamite Member Posts: 8
    keikoe55, I might have a 6 disc changer for sale. I purchased one off ebay, but I believe I purchased the wrong model. Any reader insight into my situation would be MUCH appreciated.

I own a '98 E320 with what I believe is a Becker BE-1692 head unit. The changer I purchased off ebay has a connector much different than the wires found behind the trunk molding. In addition, it does not appear to fit correctly on the bracket my wife purchased from our local MB dealership. Part of the ebay description stated that the unit was pulled from a new car.

Is there a specific model number for the cd changer that will fit a 98 with a Becker BE-1692 head unit? Is there an adaptor that would work with the wiring in my car? I'm under the assumption that this unit is for the newer models and will never work for me. If this is the case, I'm willing to sell it for what I paid plus shipping.
  • keikoe55keikoe55 Member Posts: 24
    I think you need BB# A0028207989 Model MC3198 There are few on bay auction right now but not the one I needed or you can check www.beckerautosound.com or call one of the listing dealer. Please let me know that will help or not, Please em-ail me detail about your ad changer. mm4agama@netscape.net
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi Guys, I noticed that my digital clock loses a little time over a month....about 2 to 3 minutes. Have any of you noticed that? And, is it much trouble for the dealer to fix? My $20 Timex watch (used for traveling to foreign country's) never skips a beat!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Call Stephan at SW Stereo, Bern ,NC 1-800-277-BEST He has Becker units for fiber optic and non fiber optic wiring. He has all the answers!
  • phatwheelsphatwheels Member Posts: 7
    Considering the following options for my 01 E430 sport using AMG Monoblocks with Dunlop Sport 9000 tires.
    Option 1
    Front: 18x8 / 235/40
    Rear: 18x9 / 265/35
    Option 2
    Front: 17x7.5 / 235/45
    Rear: 17x8.5 / 255/40

Anyone using any of these configs? How does the car feel? I know the E55 uses a config similar to option 1 but the suspension is different. Any and all comments welcomed.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    I have option 1 for my E430 and the ride is a little more stiff.

However, it does handle the roads a little better. Cornering is much more fun and I feel the car is more stable at higher speeds.

I would like to lower it with an AMG spring kit. But right now, the newer rims are perfect.

I got my rims and tires (Pirelli) for almost $1800.
  • yahoo2yahoo2 Member Posts: 28
    I have a '99 black E320 and i was considering using the AMG mono blocks, but a friend steered me toward RH Topline AA wheels. I put 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear with Mich. tires. Also, I had the wheels chromed. Next I went with full HR suspension kit which lowered the car 1 1/2". Last, I had the 5 windows done in a smoked medium tint and had the "E320" emblem on back removed.
    I'm also gonna install a Lorinser exhaust sometime this year when budget permits.
    Oh, I forgot to ask my question. Some time ago someone posted the type of PIAA lights they had used on their E. It something like Optix (not sure what it was). All the lights I've come across have blue tinge and I don't like that. I'm trying to get them as white as possible. If anyone knows the name and model of the light, and where to get them I'd greatly appreciate info.
    Thanks
    I went back and found that the lights mentioned are Hella not PIAA. Given that, why Hella over PIAA? I haven't seen the Hella lights but have seen PIAA H7 lights. Wondering if Hella's Optlux have a blue tinge like the PIAA H7? Also, what is cost of Hella (PIAA H7 are $50)?

One last question. Are replacement lights available for inner and fog lights? Would like same all around.

Thanks
    The Vision Plus are brighter, but are not as blue as the Hella Optilux. Also, I have heard that there are many quality problems with the Optilux bulbs. I've had my Vision Plus for quite sometime and they are definately a large improvement over stock.
    Why did you not just get the AMG monoblocks? The RH Topline AA's look almost exactly the same. Were the Toplines cheaper? They look like imitation AMG Monoblocks.
    I just put these in my clk, definately an improvement. Check your manual first as to bulb spec. My vehicle uses H-7 bulbs both for high and low, my ML uses H-1 high and H-7 low. I purchased them from www.fosmo.com. The H-7 vison plus come in a pair for about $33.00 delivered from the UK in less than a week. Very pleased with them. The vision plus were rated the best on a bulb comparison that I read.
  • phatwheelsphatwheels Member Posts: 7
    Taison, Thanks for your comments. It sounds like you got a great deal on your wheels, where did you get them and what pirelli's did you get?
  • eel1121eel1121 Member Posts: 4
    My '01 E320 has about 9500 miles on it but the service computer says I have another 2500 miles to go before I need an oil change (I do mostly highway driving). I called the dealer and they said the oil change is only covered when you are within 1000 miles of the computer figure, i.e., I should wait until I have 11,000 miles. Is this correct, and should I be concerned about going so many miles on the original oil? Thanks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...the E-Class has not been slighted! I'm here to announce the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    Sorry to but in on the discussion (I'm an S class owner), but I got tired of winter and just put on the AMG wheels in a staggered setup (245/45ZR18 front and 275/40ZR18 rear for the S class). The entire personality of the car changed. I test drove one with Dunlop SP9000 tires but I opted for Michelin Pilot sports for better rain performance. The staggered setup not only looks great but handling is phenomenal.

Maybe I can convince my wife that she "needs" an E55 instead of an SUV.
    When I went in to have my wheels installed there was another black E their with the AMG's. The sales guy had his installer put a set of RH on my car. When the cars were side by side I was sold. They main reason I went with RH was that they come in 19" without having to install spacers. With AMG, If I went with 19" wheels I would of had to install spacers. Also I wanted a "huskier" or "heavier" look and I got that with RH.
    Are replacement lights,Vision Plus, available for inner and fog lights? Would like same look all around not white headlight and others yellowish.

Thanks
    Yahoo

I believe that they only come in H-7s and H-4s.Go to VisionExpress for comparison of bulbs, etc. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/michaelab/carcare-newsection/print_carcare.php3?id=84

Go to www.fosmo.com for additional information and for purchasing.
    I got my rims and tires from Ron's Tire & Wheel over in the San Fernanado Valley (North Hollywood to be exact).

I got the Pirelli P7000 Sport. The guy suggested I get the Dunlops, but those were too expensive for me. And the Pirelli's are just fine for Los Angeles. Hopefully all this rain will stop soon.

I also sold back my stock rims and tires for $200.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    Phatwheels, I opted for a more conservative solution, and have been very happy. I went with four 8.5x17 monoblocks, chromed, with Dunlop 8000 tires from Globe Tire in L.A. I did this because I can rotate the tires, and the +1 confirguration adds very little harshness to the ride. Corners like a dream. The 8000 are rated in some aspects higher than the 9000, and they are 30% cheaper since they have limited the size range. I drive canyons so I expect to need new tires every 15-17k miles. The difference in price will add up for me.
  • tritrantritran Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering to buy a 19 inches Carlsson 1/6 Evolution to replace my stock wheel which I had 17 inches now. My Question is ?
    Can I do +2 instead of +1?
    Can I go with 19x8.5 with Michelin pilot 245x35R19in the front and 19x10 in the rear without any modification i. (fender or lower the spring)?
    Does it have any gap between tire and fender if I stay with original spring?
    Your input is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tarn
  • dman12dman12 Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone tell me about their experience of getting the extended warranty, specifically differences in cost between dealers? Or do you have to get the warranty from the original dealer? I've had my '00 E430 almost a year so I really need to get moving on this.

Thanks.
    I have gotten warranties from other than my dealer at a substantial discount. I believe that most of the warranty will be refunded at time of sale because it is transferable in a private sale.
    Besides, if you keep an MB past the warranty, with all the electronic parts today, the cost of the warranty can be eaten up very quickly. If you want information on where to buy a warranty E-mail me and I will sent it ot to you.
  • bad10bad10 Member Posts: 11
    check this out and let me know what you think. I just purchased a 1997 E420 from Hoehn MB in carlsbad. It has xenon, chrome wheels, headlight washers, Bose, rear window shade etc. It is silver with black interior. Get this...It has 9 thousand miles on it and is FLAWLESS. It is literally indistinguishable(sp?) from new. Really...it is just like new. This old man kept it in the garage and traded it in yesterday. I paid 38K and it is Starmarked to 2005. The best part is that when I was in there earlier today looking at it, this guy was working a deal and decided that he was going to go home to dinner and mull it over. Shortly after, I walked back in and bought it. That guy is going to be bummed. I still cant believe...I'm in shock. BAD10
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    Hey, pal, you got hosed - that car is a piece of **** and it's only a matter of time until the wheels fall off leaving you stranded in the desert. Hope you have a bottle of water!

Just funnin' - MB E's rock - welcome to the gang - I've no idea if your deal's good or bad. Obviously, you could sign the papers, so you're in. Enjoy! Just don't screw it up by putting chrome on the wheels. :)
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    cmayer, Bad10 already has the chrome wheels! Personally, I like the factory wheels better but to each his own.

I asked this question earlier but no one responded. Have any of you noticed that the clock looses a little time over a month? About 3 minutes.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I also have a 2000 E430 Brilliant Silver with Ash interior, but it's a non sport. My clock keeps perfect time but have seen others on this list comment on the losing time issue. I know of at least one that had it replaced. To do so, I believe requires the replacement of the entire instrument panel. I had this done when they fixed the sending unit/fuel guage. But go for it or whatever it takes.
    Wally
  • hjbornhjborn Member Posts: 20
    mark 156--my clock (in a 2000 E320) also loses time, but only about 3 min. every two months. I don't know whether to just live with it or not. I had a 98 Buick that had the same problem, and the radio had to be replaced. Don't know if I want the entire instrument panel to be taken out just to fix the clock.
    dman--I asked the dealer where I bought the car about the extended warranty, and he wanted the full brochure price (2550 for the 4 yr. bumper-to-bumper warranty). I called a dealer in a town 40 miles away, and he gave me 15% off. And of course the warranty is good anywhere, at any Mercedes dealer. So make a few phone calls.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    Of the new E:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/carnews/carnews_spyshots.xml

From this page, select the E-Class.

• wmbiffwmbiff Member Posts: 11
    mark156: I also have had a slow clock on my 2000 E320. Decided that it was worth the effort to correct while under warranty. So yesterday they replaced the "instrument cluster" (not really sure what that consists of.) I had mentioned this problem when it was in for its first service a month back, and was told there is no way to manually speed up the clock. They had to order the "cluster". Since it has only been a day, I don't know whether it is up to speed yet, but it appears to be working.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    OK, by now my 2001 E430 4-matic should be sitting at the dock in the Port of Baltimore. Having eagerly read every single message posted during the last six months, I have compiled the following list of items to check before accepting delivery:
    1. Tire pressure
    2. Windshield wipers don't streak, windshield is free of wax (let them do the rubbing with toothpaste or lemon juice!).
    3. Have dealer agree in advance to use Mobil 1 0W40 or 15W50.
    4. Check operation of all windows.
    5. Ensure the phone plugs into the phone jack.
    6. Have dealer fill gas tank to full, check gauge reads full and matches digital display.
    7. Check driver's seat for clicking sound, if heard, remount seat with correct size bolts.
    8. Ask dealer to ensure each key sets each of the memory positions (fat chance!).
    9. Grease the front anti-roll bar where it passes through the center bushings.
    10. If Michelins were installed, check for MXV4-Plus tires. Insist (even fatter chance) that I don't want MXV-4's.
    11. Center cupholder stays down when center button is pushed in.

Is there anything I have omitted? How about the COMAND system, is there something to be checked?

Thanks for all the postings that led me to this point. I feel I already know the car! My dealer is going to think I'm nuts!

By the way, I checked the picture of the 2002/2003 mule. It didn't thrill me enough to delay the purchase for 18 months to 2 years.
  • chwolfmanchwolfman Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone seen the C Class Wagon yet? Does it have a third seat? Thanks
    Bring some CDs to check the CD player if you got the CD changer.
This discussion has been closed.