Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    The "After Reset" (I don't remember if that's the exact language used) milege etc. reading on my 2000 E320 resets sometimes on its own. Has anyone experienced this?
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    I have my E-class on order and was reading the C-class message group and people are complaining that Remote unlocking feature is not currently available in C-class. I was told by my dealer that this feature is available on E class.

Could some one please confirm that this feature is available on 2001 E-class.

Thanks in advance.
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    For anyone interested. I just put in an after market navigation system in my 00 E320.
    It consists of the Alpine 751AS CD/ROM based nav system and a Alpine CVA 1005 motorized monitor.
    The CD/ROM system only handles certain regions as opposed to the DVD based system which handles the entire USA, but I never take my car out of state so it didn't matter to me.
    The monitor is really cool. It went into the storage bin just below the heating controls, and just above the ashtray. You just open the wood flap and push a button and the motorized monitor slides out and flips up.
    The whole system works great. Pretty accurate. It gives voice commands in addition to showing the maps.
    Whole system was about $1700.
    I didn't think that the monitor would go into the dash properly but the installer did a great job.
    Any questions, feel free to ask.
  • itsmeagainitsmeagain Member Posts: 11
    I am interested. Do you have a website that you can direct me to? Thanks.

mbdriver,
    Thanks. I do live in the US. My mistake selecting Canada, what in the world was I thinking? I did talked to MBUSA and they told me I could not buy the extended warranty since I purchased my '00 E320 more than a year ago.
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    I got my nav system locally through Audio King.

There is a couple of web sites that you can check out though.

http://www.alpine1.com

Just go to the navigation section and check out the systems and the monitors, or you can vist

http://www.fmca.com/fmcmag/2000/aprmag/alpine.htm

for information also.
  • nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    I've been trying for eight months to get a toddler BabySmart car seat and have gotten nothing but the run around from various dealers and more recently Mercedes Benz in New Jersey. The Mercedes hotline seems more like a Hyundai hotline than one from a company that sells $90K+ cars. These people have no concept of customer service. I bought an SL500 roadster only because I could cart my son back and forth to day care and not having ability will soon force me to buy another car. Has anyone else ran into this problem? My local dealer reports they get at least two calls a day from customers with this problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Neil
    nkole@yahoo.com
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    Well it seems the new models are coming in earlier than ever. My salesman at Clair Motors, Rick, passed on to me a newsletter that states the following:

2002 models will start production as of the 3rd decade of MAY, in other words from about May 20th onwards for cars coming from Germany. This means we shall see the new models here in July.

The 2002 SL's (last year for this body) are already being produced and are available as standard and the special silver arrow package that has been widely publicised. 1400 silver arrow SL 500's will be made only 100 SL 600 silver arrows will be made.

2 color changes to report - as of sept 1st glacier white changes to alabaster white and aspen green changes to everest green. Whether this means there is no glacier white or aspen green form the start of MY 2002 production till sept 1st or there is until sept 1st is not clear as yet.

designo - for MY 2002 slate blue on the CLK is no longer available, at this point it does not say what the replacement will be. Also, Goldenrod and copper packages are scrapped on the SLK, again no replacement news yet.

There are already productions slots showing for 2002 E class 4matics, these are being built as of the 2nd decade of may. They get built earlier as they are shipped to Austria I believe to have the 4 matic installed.

ML 430 is replaced by ML 500, I have the option pricing on the 2002 but not the standard changes as yet. The 2001 MY prodution ends mid June on MLs and the MY 2002 production starts up July 1st.

Dealers will start getting produciton slots on MY 2002 cars as of tomm, thus, full product ordering guides will be coming in any time now. Rick will pass on to me any info he gets and I will post immeadiately.

By the way he has a 2001 silver/charcoal CLK 55 he is selling at MSRP, the car is brand new. It was something to see my 55 next to that one, 2 CLK 55's next to each other, a rare site indeed.

Nabzy
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did everything cost to do?
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    The "After Reset" screen is not supposed to reset automatically, however, the "After Start" screen does reset every few hours if not being driven. I don't remember the actual number of hours, but it's spelled out in the owners manual. If it is the "After Reset" screen then you have a malfuntion in the system. My guess is that you may be confusing the two screens.
    Hopefully this will help.
    Wally
  • tonyroytonyroy Member Posts: 3
    Is the MB 4Matic system effective and reliable. It could be very useful here in snowy Ontario.?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Try calling www.clairparts.com
  • swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    I actually purchased a toddler BabySmart seat a few years back and returned it to my dealer the same day. It was completely un user friendly(It has a large bolster that must be placed over the child) and a poor choice compared to comparable seats manufactured by Britax (who make all MB car seats). A few months ago I checked with the dealer to see if they had perhaps come out with a new model as my youngest was graduating to a toddler seat. I did find out that the model was so universally loathed that they were redesigning the seat and that could be why you are having a time finding it. Even if you can find it, its a real step down from other seats. The convenience factor of being able to place your child in the front seat is the only thing you give up by not purchasing the baby smart seat. Now the baby smart booster is the best thing out there but your child needs to be approx 40 bs to utilize this model. The Britax Roundabout toddler seat is an excellent choice.
  • rnwatlrnwatl Member Posts: 2
    I bought the toddler seat a few years and really like the ease on installation. I bought if for my nephew who was 1 year old at the time. I was concerned that the design was so different from the one his parents use. He did like it at first but did go through a short stage where he didn't like the bolster in front of him. When he got a little bigger, he loves it now and climbs right in. Now the bolster acts like a tray top for him. For the person who is still looking for one, try ebay, there has to people out there that their kids have outgrown the seat. Mine is not for sale, more nephews and nieces keep arriving!
  • dcallendcallen Member Posts: 1
    Re #1351: I have a '99 E320 and it sounds like I was writing your message. My car has done the same thing and repeated trips to the dealer have done nothing. For the first 3 dealer visits they played dumb: "Sir, we can replicate the problem" meaning, go away, you're taking my time. After I got MBUSA involved, they replaced the transmission. Which did not make the problem stop. After the replacement, the service manager suddenly remembered that he had seen the same problem several times and told me "this transmission is just going to do that". Seems to be tied to the "smart" transmission which adapts to your driving style.

Excuse me, but my driving style does not including lurching forward at slow speeds. I have never had this poor of an excuse for a transmission in 35 years of driving a variety of quality [including other MBs] cars. I am looking to get rid of this one, but I am going to continue to make noise with MBUSA - if they ever respond to my complaints.
  • miggs074miggs074 Member Posts: 2
    i am looking for after market tire replacements. my MB came with V-rated continentals and i am afraid that they are too rough thus allowing a little too much road noise. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions or prior good expiriences with a specific tire. i need them soft and good enough to handle high speed.

i read some of the messages posted and it seems like MB has had some quality problems... my E-class also came with weird rattles and other problems that i did not expect after paying 55 grands! but that's life, i wonder if things would have been different had it been a lexus!?

thanks.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    My E430 came with Continentals. At first, it seemed to ride very harshly. Then I noticed that they had over-inflated the tires to the mid-40s. After bleeding them down to the recommended levels, they rode much better, but still seemed somewhat harsh and noisy.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but after 4,000 miles, they now seem quite smooth and quiet. I will however, at replacement time, try Yokohama AVS dB. From tire rack, the reviews on this W-rated 234/45/17 all-season high performance tire say that they are extremely quiet.

Jack
  • mercz97mercz97 Member Posts: 5
    I have been an avid reader for sometime and have learned quite alot from everyone posts. I have a friend that is a doctor that had 3 E-320's in his garage. 1 for his wife, 1 for himself and 1 for his mother. The mother didn't really like driving the car because her complaint was that (very short lady) when she moved the seat forward her knees would hit the bottom part of the dash. She preferred the suburban instead. My friend knew I was looking for a car (another Toyota 4-Runner) and called me to let me know that 1 of his E320's was for sale. He had it listed in the paper for $40K with no luck in selling it. It sat in his garage for 1 1/2 years without anyone driving it. The car is a 1997 E-320 with every option imaginable and looks like it just came off the show room floor, last April when I bought it, it only had 16K miles on it. I took it off his hands for $36k and he even threw in a check for the extended warranty. This is the first Mercedes that I have owned and just love it. I don't think that I will ever buy anything else but. Although by recent experiences I prefer the maintenance costs on my old Toyota 4-Runner over the Ben anytime but you just don't get that feeling like being in a Mercedes. You know what I am talking about.

The only problems I have had with it were:

-when I would floor the gas pedal the car would hesitate and the rams would almost reline- the cause, faulty spark plugs.

-The dash would read that I had a faulty lamp or light bulb was out but when I checked all the bulbs none of them were burned out. The cause- some 97's had a recall for the wiring harnesses to be changed out for the front and rear lights.

-cracked dash-some 97's (dashes) were not made right. Poor quality. Dash replaced under warranty.

-lower control arm bushing replaced at 30K miles-the cause-in the 97 model the control arms were redesigned for 98 and have since improved.

I too have used Zaino products and have to say that it is by far the easiest product to work with. I am working on adding 3 more coats.

My next project is adding wheels and tires since my stock tires are completely worn out from bad control arms. I just recently ordered 2 18X8 and 2 18X9 wheels from OZ Racing. I chose the OZ Opera Modular 2 piece after looking and comparing all other products (AMG, Lorinser, Brabus, etc.) I found these to be the sharpest and affordable ones that I could get my hands on. I had them shipped directly from OZ to save a little money. The price: $1900 with lock, lugs, and center caps. Tirerack has them for $499 a piece for the 18X8.5 and $520 for the 18X9. I plan on purchasing the Michellin Pilot Sports and think I can get a good deal at Discount Tire. I have been told that to get the car to look sportier I would have to paint the black bottom part of the car and lower it by 1 inch. Has anyone lowered their E320? Just need to know what to expect.
    Well enough for now, I will let you all know how it goes after the project is done.
  • prevostxlvprevostxlv Member Posts: 20
    Tony -- I took delivery of my car last sept. I love the 4 matic system. We have may different front and four wheel drive vehicles to compare the system against and nothing compares. I put Michelin Alpin Snows on all four corners and love the way it handles on all the winter surfaces that I have faced. I even went so far as to put an engine block heater on it for the cold winters we get at our vacation house in Upstate NY (sometimes 20-30 below zero with out taking the wind into account). The only thing I fault it for is ground clearance in heavy snow --- only because I compare it against our three different 4x4s (all of which have very different ways of controlling the traction. I say go for it! You will not be disappointed.
  • prevostxlvprevostxlv Member Posts: 20
    My car came with 17 inch pirelli p7000 and they ride nice. My brother had dunlops on his E320 (that has 17 AMG rims) and actually switched to my selection because they were that much quieter than his. go to tire rack and check them out. They work nice in the rain and give a very nice ride on the highway.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I'm almost ready to upgrade my '00 E320 to 17" rims and new tires. Did lots of research and will probably go with the new Yokohama AVS dB that tomsky3 mentioned. Try www.tirerack.com for great test reviews and info about tires. I did a comparison on line between the Yoko AVS dB, Michelin Pilot XGT Z4, Pirelli 7000, and the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymetrical -- the Yoko came out on top in almost every category, including handling and of course quietness, and had by far the highest rating for "definitely would buy again."
  • veeikleveeikle Member Posts: 13
    my 98 e320 wagon has a factory installed phone ($1800) big problem..analog service only..dealer is telling me they can't re-wire to digital service..can I get some advice..is this a dealer (CAN'T) or a dealer (WON'T)..thanks..VEEikle.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Friday Freeways chat is on now! (5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/freewaychat.html
  • tkc9789tkc9789 Member Posts: 2
    Is a 2000 E320 with E2, CD and about 8K miles for $46,000 + TTL a good price? TIA.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Have owned 16 MB's over the last 30 yrs. My last one was a 99 E class which had too many problems . The car was very good but it seems that MBUSA has had some quality problems & worse doesn't seem very responsive. Also I got tired of paying $600 for metallic paint,$1100 for xenons,$1000 for wood stearing wheel,$900 for CD changer etc. Also the spare is no loger an alloy. Almost by accident I stopped at the Lexus dealer & drove a LS430. What do you know? I bought on! Why? All the things that I had paying extra for were standard on the LS430. For the price of a similarly equiped E320. Got a 290V8 to boot. Dealer & service have been great. Everyone seems to care & listen. Still like MB's but they have lost me. PS unbeliveable electronics on the LS430. These are just my thoughts as a long time MB owner. Hope you don't mind the post. Good luck!
  • duke123duke123 Member Posts: 4
    VS4 - I just activated the Tele-ride on my '01 E320 4matic yesterday and can assure you that the unlocking feature is part of the service. Obviously you have to be registered and have a passowrd for the feature to be functional. Ditto for the car tracking feature.
    Have owned 16 MB's over the last 30 yrs. My last was a 99 E class. Had many small problems that I did not have in the previous years. Also MBUSA does not seem to be as user friendly as they should be. Got tired of paying $600 for metallic paint,$1100 for xenons, $1000 for wood stearing wheel,$900 for CD changer etc. Also now there is no longer an alloy spare. By accident stopped into the Lexus dealer & drove a LS430 & was really impressed. Features galore & all the extras that MB was charging for were standard on the LS. For the price of well equipted E320 I bought the LS430 & got a V8 & a better warranty to boot. Still really like MB's but they have lost me. Hope you don't mind the post but thought I would pass along the thoughts of a long time owner. PS The Lexus service & responce has been fantastic. They really care. Good luck.
  • rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    We got a 98 E320 and the rear left window motor broke once, the rear right broke at least thwice, and the front passenger has brocken once. We live in Florida and we are scared of using the windows, and after the warrenty runs out it will cost 400 clams to fix, The repair man says it's because the humidity, but MB would have accounted for that. Any idea one what I should do?

Thanks
  • cheapownercheapowner Member Posts: 47
    My '98 E-320 had similar problem. Sometimes when taking off at the stoplight it moves forward very slowly as if it has a very loose torque converter. The dealer updated the computer, polished all burnt plates and inspected everything. They spent 4 days on it. It runs OK now except 1-2 upshift is not as smooth as before. Forced downshift by gas padel at 30-60 MPH is not as responsive as before. I think the new programming is slightly different.
  • cheapownercheapowner Member Posts: 47
    Just had my car washed and noticed the fog light len was cracked. I just had it replaced 1 month ago. They should have made fog light lens plastic like the headlights instead of glass. Any knows how to replace the len or the whole light housing?
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Hi, I'm upgrading my 2000 E320 to the 17" AMG Monoblock wheels I've seen at the TireRack. I have 2 questions, Are there any major differences outside the obvious from a 7.5" width to an 8". Second question, I'm considering Pirelli P6000 Veloce, Yokohama AVSdb and Dunlop Sport 5000. Does anyone have first hand experience with these tires. Thanks for your help.
    Bob
    Put a set of these tires on my E320 along with new wheels from tirerack. Wheels great--tires terrible. Theay wore extremely uneven. Had everything checked including a 4 wheel alignment. Noyjing helped. Contacted tirerack & then Perelli. Perelli stood behind their product & bought them back for full price. Relaced them with Bridgestones which were excellent.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    2ndmb, I upgraded to 17" AMG Monoblocks, but in the 8.5" offset size, with Dunlop Supersport 8000 tires. Fantastic on dry pavement. The Dunlops are 235something17. I did 8.5" on all four so I can rotate the tires. Read the comparisons on the Dunlop 8000 at TireRack...in some ways they score higher than the newer 9000, at 35% less, and no comparison at all the the Pirelli or other $130 dollar tires.
    It's quite a hassle to go around the night before the DST change and move the times on all the clocks, watches, VCRs, and cars ahead an hour. I was going to do it Saturday night on my E430, but then I remembered from the COMAND settings that the time is set by the GPS satellite. I didn't know if the GPS knew that it was time to switch to DST. The GPS seems to know everything else.

So I left the clock alone. Then on Sunday, when I opened the door, the clock was an hour late. I then put the key in and checked the two manuals on how to reset the time. Somehow, before I could do anything, the clock moved ahead by an hour on its own.

Jack
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is waay off topic, but I couldn't resist - it's wonderful to have these things that figure out the time on their own, isn't it? I've got a couple of VCRs that do that.

It is especially appreciated in the fall when many digital clocks have to be advanced 23 hours, rather than set back one. ;->

That's very cool about your car clock.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    For 17" wheels, Tirerack's web site for a '00 MB E320 lists the same size tire (235/45 17) for both 7.5" and 8" wheels. I tried "purchase tires" for both the AMG 5-spoke 203 (7.5") and the Borbet Type E (8"). Evidently the extra half inch isn't a big factor.

Regarding tire brand comparisons on Tirerack, place a check mark in the "compare" for each tire you're considering. It's a convenient way to make direct comparisons. Have you seen my post # 1371? I was surprised at how well the Yoko AVS dB did in each category evaluated, and it was also highly recommended by a Tirerack tech during a phone inquiry. However, my local MB expert (runs his own independent MB repair facility) recommends the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 but acknowledges that he isn't familiar with the new Yoko AVS dB.

BTW, Discount Tires Direct lists the Mercedes OEM 5-spoke Style E 17" wheel as a closeout special for $160. Dealer list price for the wheel is $368!
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    I bought the AMG Aero along with the Dunlop SP5000 tires from the TireRack today. They are 8" in width and should fit ok. MBDriver thanks for the heads up on the AMG wheel deal from discount tire. The pricing is great but I really like the look of the monoblock vs the other models. The rep on the phone from the Tirerack convinced me the 5000 Dunlop was the best value. I'll let everyone know how the handling and ride changes with the new set up.
  • rokinkeadrokinkead Member Posts: 18
    Do you think it would do the automatic time change if the car was in Arizona? :) (Arizona does not do DST. Don't ask me why.)
  • ineedacar4ineedacar4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a chance to buy a 1987 300E with 27000 miles, Air, Sun Roof, Leather and Power for $12,800 which is higher than internet prices but the car is perfect as far as I can tell.

I have never owned a car that was a mechanical problem and I have heard MB mechanics are very expensive.

How much expense could one incur typically with this vehicle? Minor quirks of $400-600 a pop aren't monumental but I don't want to pay $2500 a year to maintain a car.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    There has been a lot of discussion about upgrading phones. I have a '00 E320 with the factory phone, and wanted to upgrade to the tri-band phone. MB said it was impossible, that the antenna cabling wouldn't work. But I bought the new phone, including the voice recognition box, and the installation works just fine. I can now use Sprint PCS in the car, which is much cheaper than the other plans. The phone parts, however, were quite ezpensive (about $1,500).

On tires, I have been through three sets since purchasing the car: the original MXV4 (terrible!), the Pilot XGTV4 (225-60-16), and now a set of the Yoko DB (also 225-60-16). The last is by far the best tire. Although the handling of the XGT-V4 and DB seems about comparable, the Yokos
    are much, much quieter (even than the MXV's) and have extraordinary ride quality, even at 36 psi all around (about like the MXV's). I still feel the car is a bit under-tired and I might go the the DB's on a 17". I'm not sure how much to expect of the switch from the 225-50-16 to the 235-45-17, and whether it's worth the mondy. Any ideas on this. As is, the steering response is just fine and I don't care much about the appearance issue.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    nt
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    The Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my 96 E are almost down to the wear ribs. They have been decent tires but the tread life has not been great. I'm estimating about 25K miles ( I use snows in winter so don't have exact mileage). They have been reasonably quiet and handle fairly well, although now are feeling hard due to lack of tread depth. I had been leaning heavily toward Pirelli 7000, but previous notes mentioned good luck with the Dunlop SP5000 and Yoko DB tires. I will definitely check 'em out..

Has anyone come up with a solution for the horrible AM radio reception? The dealers just say "That's the way it is..!" I can't believe MB is just going to leave it at that.. Has anyone tried to have an audio shop install a normal retractable antenna in lieu of the cell-phone antenna? (Cell-phone was removed when I bought the car.)

And finally, I just saw the newest E-class advertisement last night. Animals and people carrying works of art onto the ARK..!! And then the last two things to enter the Ark were an E-sedan and E-wagon... As the ultimate works of art..!! My smile was from ear to ear..!! Great ad...!
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    A 14 year old car with only 27,000 miles? Seems a great find if it's been regularly maintained and used (only 2000 miles/year.) If you know the car's history and there aren't any nasty tales, go for it.

No doubt about it, repairs and parts for MBz's are pricey, but many of us have driven our cars for years. I had a good independent MBz mechanic who helped me drive my '81 240D for almost 250,000 miles over 17 years. They used rebuilt or third party parts whenever possible, and I was fortunate never to require a major replacement.

Realistically, you could face a big bill for a replacement tranny or the like...but that's not likely after those few miles. You're more likely to have brittle rubber parts, etc. due to age. Not cheap, to be sure, but fairly easy to replace.

Good luck.
    In the May issue of Automobile Magazine, there's an article with a picture of the next E-class. According to the article, the 275 hp 4.3L V-8 will be replaced by a 306 hp 5.0L V-8. The car will come standard with an air suspension. The E-55 will have an ABS suspension. The overall styling looks evolutionary. The tail lights will be triangular-shaped, as in the C and S classes. The front oval headlamps are arched back with clear lenses. The clock will be relocated to the top of the dash.

Jack
  • asingreatasingreat Member Posts: 2
    Try Clairparts.com, then go to their links, then the spy-photo page. It's now on the "old" site, but still accessible. There are a couple of very clear, unveiled photos of the new E, inside and out. Also some computer enhanced photos. Although currently just a visitor from another world (Y2K C230Komp), I am starting to develop strong pangs of E-envy, and that's what brought me to this board. Hope MB does a better job with both quality and aesthetic considerations on the new E than they did with the new C, and to some extent the new S. Seems the DNA is getting a little watered down, IMHO.

About This Chat:

Be our guest for an hour of Town Hall Chat Brake! Here is your chance to meet and greet other auto fans. This chat is for those of you who share similar interests, have questions and need answers, or simply want a place to discuss and debate your News and your Views of the auto industry. Bring your sense of humor and race on in to this NEW chat only on Edmunds.com!

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• ineedacar4ineedacar4 Member Posts: 3
    It turns out the car was purchased in Florida (Orlando?) at auction and the current dealer has all the papers on the car. I will think one more week before I leap. Another car on his lot that interests me is a 1995 300D with all power. It has 120,000 miles. I always wanted a 240D like you owned but I never could afford one, I thought.
    It turns out that might have been the cheapest car a man could buy if it would go 17 years.
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    E55 will be built for 2002

for C class:

http:
    //content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=get_album&ID_Community= CLKOwnersDiscussion&ID_Topic=74
    no spaces

for 2002 CLK change the 74 to 72
    for 2002 SLK change the 74 to 73
    for 2002 E change the 74 to 75

will post others soon:

Nabzy
This discussion has been closed.