Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• fishxprtfishxprt Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 e320 with mxv4 pluses and 1200 miles on it. I have 27 lfs in the tires. It rides rough on poor LA City streets. Will it get softer with more miles?
    Also has anyone ever changed the regular seats to the multicontour. Can I do just one, or do I have to do both? What was the cost and do you think it is worth it?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Based upon the comments in previous notes re: the Yokohama db and Dunlop SP8000 tires. I am probably going to buy a set of one of them. Neither comes in the standard E320 size of 215-55/16 so I can go to either the 225-50/16 or 245-50/16. As far as the speedometer is concerned, the 225 is 1.5% faster and the 245 is 1.3% slower. Close enough either way. The question is will the wider 245 cause any interference problems with the wheel openings?

Anybody have any experience with these sizes?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I would recommend the 225 width tires. I'd rather have my speedometer be slightly faster than slower, if I was to choose. Additionally, while a wider tire provides better grip, you will also have poorer fuel economy due to increased rolling resistance and poorer aerodynamics, as well as more chance of hydroplaning or floatation in the snow. Handling might suffer a bit too since the wider tires are heavier. In fact, I'm not even certain if the stock rims will fit the 245 tires. Do they? That's a whopping 30 millimetres wider than the stock tires!

A Volvo 850 Turbo owner wrote highly of his experiences with his new Yokohama dB tires. He said that they were quiet, and yet performed extremely well on wet pavement, and very light snow.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    I have had the AVS db on the stock wheels on a '00 E320 in the 225-50-16 size. The fit is fine, but the car feels (and looks) a bit under-tired. The tire is really good however, but there just doesn't seem to be enough rubber on the road in dry cornering.

The 245-50-16 will fit the stock rim-- Yokohama specifies rims from 7.0-8.5 inches (the factory is 7.5). I believe, however, that there will be a clearance problem on the front.

My solution has been to go to the 17" wheel and the db in 235-45-17. Expensive, but I keep cars a long time. I agree with Drew on the rolling and drag issues, but safety is also important. I think you can compensate for much of this by keeping inflation pressures up. The db's ride so well that 36 psi all around is perfectly comfortable. As for hydroplaning, I think the db tread design looks very resistant to this.
  • kar_mankar_man Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a '97 E420 with about 3500 miles left on the warranty. Where would I go to find info on an ext warranty? Dealer will sell me one of course, but is there somewhere else that may be better and what kind of $$ should I expect to pay? Dealer is not MB. Thanks
  • duke123duke123 Member Posts: 4
    Some time ago I remember that someone posted a list of all of the things the dealer's service department can adjust or re-program on your car's internal computer systems. For instance, they can eliminate the speed-variable volume on the audio system. Does anyone know what other things can be modified or customized? Thanks.
  • ll_parkerll_parker Member Posts: 3
    I have an '00 E320; when my lease is up next year, I was thinking of getting a CLK430. Does anyone have experience with that model? Specifically, my questions are:

1. The Z-rated tires. What is their wear like? How are they in the wet, or light snow?
    2. Will I miss the tilt steering wheel?
    3. Is there a problem with driveways or speed bumps due to the lower chassis?
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi you all,

The new C has made Money Magazine's Best Cars List. Here is the link:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/overview/Mercedes-Benz/C-Class/new.asp

Cheers

• macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    Which LA dealer has the most e classes sitting on the lot and is likely to do some deep discounting? I heard that Newport beach and Laguna Nigel typically are loaded with cars. Does anyone have a persepective from that area? Also, any recommendations on who is good to work with (not pushy and willing to deal?)

Thanks!
  • hjbornhjborn Member Posts: 20
    I also have a question about re-programming. I'll be taking my 00 E320AWD in for its first service in a few weeks, and would like to have it programmed so that it has daytime running lights, and that they will go off automatically when I get out of the car. If that is not possible, could the warning noise be made louder? Unfortunately, it is the wrong frequency for my limited hearing, and I have left the lights on a couple of times--we have a law in Illinois that the lights must be on when the windshield wipers are on, and that has caused me to leave the lights on. I called the MB help people, who told me it could not be reprogrammed, but I'm not sure I got a knowledgeable person. I have a Camry that warns me if I leave the keys in the ignition, and it is plenty loud. Anyone have any info?
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    Macbest, I had a good experience with Esther Wolf at Mercedes Benz of Southbay, in Torrance. They have excellent Internet pricing.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    If your DRL can be programmed like we have in Canada, they will work as such: After starting the engine and putting the gearshift into gear (D or R) the headlights will come on automatically. They will go off when the gearshift is in N or P, without touching the light switch. Also they can be programmed for a 30 seconds switch off delay after removing the key fob from hole. You will not have to worry about switching them on/off any more. However there is a catch, you can flash the high beams manually any time as usual, but you will need to turn on the light switch if you require the high beams on for an extended period. Good luck.
    Jean
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    Ineedacar4, My wife and have had 3 MBs over the years. The one closest to the car you are considering was a 92E300. One of the potential problems of an old, low milage MB are that many of the seals and bushings are probably deteriorated. These can always be fixed and are not that big a deal. But be prepared to spend $$ on the car. Our 92 cost us on average $2500 per year in maintanence and repairs. These are rather heavy cars. Brake pads will last 20K miles. Brake discs maybe 60-70K, shocks and struts 70K. Expect some electrical probelms along the way.

Still they are beautiful cars and this one will have a lot of life left it. I'd be tempted. But I after 3 MBs, I did like greasykid1 did and bought a Lexus. We still have one old MB, an 84 380SL that I don't think my wife will ever give up. But so far I really like the practically of the nearly zero maintanence of the Lexus. If MB would or could accomplish this, I'd be back to all MBs in a heartbeat.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    If you want to chat more about your potential car purchase, come over to Used German Luxury Cars in the Classics area. This forum tends to focus on the new model.
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    hjborn -
    The Canadian DRL lightswitch module will suit your needs and I have a spare one which I'm willing to sell you, email me if you're interested: 73061.213@compuserve.com

I don't like DRL myself and have put in a US light switch module in my Canadian car to defeat DRL (hence the spare DRL modeul).

Jean -
    You're right about the highbeams and DRL. The only thing I would add to your comment is that at P or N, the main headlights are turned off but the parking lights are still on. Of course, the parking lights will be turned off automatically when you take the key out.
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    One can also re-program the central lock, either the American two-push-on-the-button or the European one unlocked-all-unlocked mode.
  • y2k4my2k4m Member Posts: 9
    I just had the oil changed at 5000 miles (15W50 and filter) and was wondering how long before the computer recognized the engine's oil change? Or is there something that I need to manually reset? It's still telling me that I'll need to change the oil in another 5000 miles.
    The FSS does have to be reset, but you do not do it yourself. Don't forget that your next scheduled maintenance is free (for 4 years), so schedule an appointment when it's close to what the FSS recommends, and you will get a free service. From then onwards, you can stick to the FSS's recommendation.

Drew
    Host
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi folks, I've had my '00 for sixteen months now and 9,900 miles. The car runs perfectly! Recently, I noticed that when I lower the tilt steering, there was a slight click at about halfway down. So, yesterday the dealer corrected it and now it's smooth as silk. My clock runs a little slow (looses about 2 min. a month) so, the dealer ordered a new instrument cluster. I can only imagine how much that will cost MB.

Happy Mercedes Benz owner, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    Your information is correct in the willingness to deal and the availability of cars at Laguna Niguel and their willingness to deal. I have first hand experinece with this as recently I took delivery of a new E430 and bought it at $2300. under MSRP. They also had it built to equip it the way I wanted it. I compared prices at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach and at Caliber Mtrs. in Anaheim. Nobody was willing to beat the price I got. Go see Bob Blake and he will take good care of you and you might even mention my name as I recently took a friend over to buy a new ML and he also took very good care of him. E-mail me directly if you would like more particulars.
    Wally
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... administrative interruption.

Sometime in the next week or two, the name of this discussion will be changed dropping the "Part 7" designation.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have a requirement to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts have occurred. Therefore, this discussion can be regarded as the permanent home for E-Class conversation. The "part number" designations on all of our discussions will probably eventually confuse new members, so we will be gradually dropping them from the titles.

We'll also be altering original discussions in the Archives to differentiate between the first and the current.

I just wanted to give you a heads up - and by the way, if you are subscribed to this discussion, a name change will not affect your subscription.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    I'm visiting from the C-Class board. While getting the oil changed on my C320 last week at Mercedes Benz of San Diego (Balboa Avenue in Kearny Mesa), I noted that they had 12-15 E320's and a couple of E430's on their lot - they may have more in back. All the 2001's had a dealer sticker which discounted $3,000 off the sticker MSRP. One E320 wagon was about $3,600 off. They even have at least one new 2000 E320 that was about $4,500 off. I'm sure you can START to deal with these discount prices. Oh, by the way, they had a loaded ($125K) S600 on the showroom floor, waiting for a walk-in buyer at MSRP. The original buyer was out of the country and his return was delayed.

Tom
  • miggs074miggs074 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone with an late model E-class (2000+) had problems getting their windows tinted? i live in the dallas/fort worth area and it's gets HOT in the summer. MB dealers do not recomend tinting these cars, though i have seen a few on the road with nice tints...anyone with expirience? please help ~miguel
  • rab5rab5 Member Posts: 12
    Drew, ref your answer in #1422, the owner CAN reprogram the FSS without going to the dealer. I have a 1999 E320 and on page 98 of owners manual there are specific instructions on how to do it. I do my own servicing and I have reset the FSS twice now. ps, if you are doing your own A/B service, get a flow chart from your service rep, and you'll be sure to cover everything needed for these services although the spread sheet I did from the service booklet hit all but one thing. Ron
    Yes, I realise you can reset the FSS counter by yourself. However, with model year 2000 MBzs sold in the US, there is the free 4 year maintenance. If you reset the counter during the (early) unscheduled oil changes, then the timing of this free maintenance will be messed up. That's why you shouldn't touch it yourself...your vehicle doesn't have the free maintenance, so this is a non-issue. :-)

Drew
    Host
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi all. I've got my 2001 E320 only 3 days ago, and yesterday I took it for a long ride; I've found it very powerful and smooth and as comfortable as like I am sitting in my sofa in my own living room. I feel it is as solid as a tank. As I was driving it happily along on the highway; all the sudden I heard a big band noise like an explosion. I pulled over the shoulder of the highway; then I noticed there was a crack on my brand new windowshield. The stone chip was only a little tiny one. I took it to my dealer immediately, and it cost me $867.00 Canadian dollars! Can anyone give me some advice or experience as to ease this pain! It hurts! It's a brand new car. Could it be, the MB's windshield too fragile?
    Louis
  • adam34adam34 Member Posts: 2
    Yes...I know two comletely different vehicle types..preference is E Class sedan, but is this enough cargo/storage space for 2 adults 1 infant? 2 adults 2 kids. Love the car, but concerned over space for long trips. E Class wagon is great, but looks to old for me (in 30s). thus X5 vs. Sedan????
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    To me,as all SUVs feel,the X5 feels a little tippy if you corner with any kind of gusto at all.Not that it ever would turn over,of course.But I do get an odd sensation that the weight inside is shifting ever so slightly.At any rate the E-class has always felt amazingly comodious to me.I am 6 feet tall,and I can sit behind myself quite comfortably.From the outside the Benz might give one the impression that it might be a little cramped inside.It is tidier than,say,a Taurus.Inside,though,I find it far larger.I can't imagine your family would feel cramped at all.
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks to all especially modntrctr for all the info on extended warranty. I got 4 and 50 for my 00 430 sport for 1780 from lisa lehrbaum from courtesy motors in chico california. Beat my local dealer by 800. wonderful person and easy to deal with. highly recommended. as for window tint i have it (black) on my black/black car. it is perfect and gorgeous although there is a definite problem with scratches due to the tight seal on the e windows. have replace one already but there are some on other windows . if you can live with small scratches, i would go for the tint as the look is incomparable.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    On your extended warranty, did Lisa say the price had just gone up? I know several people, including myself, have gotten the warranties for $1680. When I got mine, Lisa said the prices would be increased by MB any day, it sounds like they were increased this week. Is MB still quoting $2550 as MSRP for the warranty or has it gone up? Either way $1680 or $1780, it's still a huge discount from what most dealers charge. I know a lot of people talk about this discount being some sort of secret but Lisa told me there are no rules about discounts on the warranties and that dealers can sell them to anybody in the country, they can even advertise them if they want. However, she did also say that these prices are for internet referrals only and that the customers at her dealership did not get this deal. I agree with James, Lisa really is a pleasure to deal with and I would highly recommend her! We all owe Steven/sshowit for passing along this info, I believe he's the one that brought this deal to everybody's attention. Thanks again Steven!
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I had my 2000 E430 windows tinted when I first got the car and within a week or two I noticed streaks running verticaly on the inside of the window from the scratched tint. Interestingly the drivers side after over six months of driving hasn't gotten any worse and it's only visible when the light hits it a certain way. I do try to limit my use of running the windows up and down to minimize the scratching. The scratches are not visable from the outside and I find it's a fair tradeoff as the car looks great with the tint. If it gets bad enough I will have the tint replaced.
    The scratching is caused by the very close tolerance between the window and the seal to help keep out roadnoise.
  • whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    This happened to our new Audi two years ago -- fortunately has not occurred again. BTW, most comprehensive auto insurance policies, at least here in the U.S., cover glass. Usually, the policies allow one windshield replacement over a given period, perhaps per year.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Jamesr88 and Dennett,thanks for the kudos, it was my pleasure to recommend Lisa to everyone who has an MB and is looking for a discounted MB extended warranty. I too found her a pleasure to deal with. Being a MB enthusist, I like to pass along positive as well as negative MB information for the benefit of my fellow MBers. Steven, aka sshowitt @ modntractr@aol.com
  • texbeantexbean Member Posts: 38
    I got my E320 tinted about 9 months ago at Texas Window Tinting in North Dallas on Floyd Circle. I have had several cars tinted there and the guy who does the work is the owner. He always does a great job. No scratches on mine so far, but I don't lower my windows very much.

Hope this helps
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I've had 3 or 4 windshields replaced and never paid a penny for them. Insurance in the states covers it if there is damage on the drivers side. I've also had a driver's side window replaced at no charge when it shattered for no apparent reason. Check you insurance policy, you might get a refund..
  • mercz97mercz97 Member Posts: 5
    Miguel,

I have a 97 E320 and had it tinted in a Metallic Tint at Shadow Tech in Arlington, off of 360 about a year ago. I have some scratches but the car looks great. I have seen other MB's with the smoke tint but the metallic looks great. Expect to pay a little over $200.
  • benzguybenzguy Member Posts: 5
    I have a '99 E320 with the radio/tape player (no CD). I leave the radio on all the time. About 1 in 4 times when I start the car, the radio does not come on. The LCD indicates that it is on and tuned to an FM station, but no sound. To make it start, I need to turn it off and then back on, and all is well again. Anyone else experience this behavior?
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    The clock in my 01 E sedan did not automatically fast forward 1 hr during the spring daylight saving time weekend, is this a problem? Thanks for your reply.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Jason64, I don't think the clocks automatically adjust themselves for time changes. My '00 E430 doesn't have the Nav, but my friends '01 S500 has it and it didn't update by itself. You need a doctorate to change the clock in the S500. It's very easy on my E.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Thanks for the info about winshield replacement. I didn't realize that this can happen so often.
    'Miscrorepair' - thank you for your suggestion; but unfortunately, in Canada here, we have either $300 or $500 comprehensive deductable and the insurance company watches us like a hawk; that is if you have more than 2 claims a year, your insurance premium definitely will go up.
    I am also looking for some protective measure to reduce the possibility of winshield breaking. I know if we don't use our car very often, this might help to reduce the risk; but that will also defeat the purpose of driving enjoyment. I do loving driving my E320; it is a dream car to me!
    Any suggestion or adivce would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the info about windshield replacement. I didn't realize that this can happen so often.
    'Miscrorepair' - thank you for your suggestion; but unfortunately, in Canada here, we have either $300 or $500 comprehensive deductable and the insurance company watches us like a hawk; that is if you have more than 2 claims a year, your insurance premium definitely will go up.
    I am also looking for some protective measure to reduce the possibility of windshield breaking. I know if we don't use our car very often, this might help to reduce the risk; but that will also defeat the purpose of driving enjoyment. I do loving driving my E320; it is a dream car to me!
    Any suggestion or adivce would be appreciated.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Last fall, the clock on my '00 E320 with COMAND changed itself from daylight savings to standard time. However, it did NOT advance automatically on April 1 from standard to daylight savings time. But it was easy to change with COMAND. The clock can be changed (advanced in this case) in 30-minute increments, and since the time is set through the GPS, it's always extremely accurate.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • 2dimples2dimples Member Posts: 3
    I in San Francisco and was told that I could pick up a new '00 E320 for $500.00 over invoice. Does this sound like a good deal? The car is Desert Silver W/E-2 package.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    My '01 E430 with COMAND adjusted itself for daylight savings time on April 1. I was very impressed!
  • pompano73pompano73 Member Posts: 20
    He guys, it's been awhile since I last posted. I have a problem maybe someone could help, I have an 01 E320 with 1,500 miles on it. Last night I was parking the car and when I took my foot off the gas, I had heard a rattling sound. It was quite loud so I rev
    ad it a bit more and heard it again. Has anybody had this problem? Do you know what it could be? It goes to the dealer on Thursday. Also, when the car is at Idle, this car sounds like a 1990 300d. This is my first Mercedes so maybe I am being a little too picky, but any help or advice you can give would be appreciative.
This discussion has been closed.