Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• billc01776billc01776 Member Posts: 17
    You can use the clay on your wheels. After claying, wash with Z7, then Z1, Z2, and finally Z6. Brake dust will still accumulate, but will come off very easily. You can Z1 and Z2 your door handles too.

Just finished my second coat of Z2 after beginning the process with Dawn and clay. If there was a newspaper on the ceiling of my garage, I could read it in the reflection on the hood!

Good luck.

Bill
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Hey Guys, Z2 works great on the wheels, as someone already stated, you will still get brake dust but it will come off easier. Keep adding more coats of Zaino, the paint will get deeper and deeper. My Brilliant Silver E320 looks awesome now. To those that haven't taken the plunge, go for the Zaino, you won't be disappointed.For more tips go to http://www.zainobros.com
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    My dealer charged me around $200 for a complete set of four installed mud guards. I think I was taken -- they're listed as an MB accessory for a bit more than $80.00 on www.mbusa.com (build your own E-Class). Since they just clip on, they should be easy to install yourself.

Regarding Zaino on wheels, I recently upgraded to 17" 5-spoke MB Style E wheels on my '00 E-320. Before they were mounted on the car, I did the Dawn wash, Z-1, Z-2 routine and added two additional coats of Z-2. Since the new wheels were put on the car, I've washed them twice and each time added another coat of Z-2. What a difference! The brake dust doesn't seem to adhere as much, and it's really easy to wash off. Perhaps the reduced accumulation of brake dust on the new wheels is a difference in aerodynamics.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    well dealer got in a 1999 300 TD finally, it was Silver/Grey starmark and 32k miles. My 1st drive of the turbo model , I noticed u can slightly hear the diesel at startup but after that the 244lb torque really kicks in , pretty impressive,nice ride and good colors . It was priced at 42,900, they offered it at 40k even , and gave me a decent trade offer, I passed for now :(, a few more miles than i would want on a 2 year old car and the steering wheel was very badley worn down .It might be hard to locate another especially with that color combo, most seems to be Black or White, but i will still scour the private market, , ,thanks again for your assistance.

regards,DL
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    Has anyone heard when MB is updating the e320?? i originally heard this fall but haven't heard anything for a while??....

thx
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    The new model will come out in the fall of 2002 as a 2003 model. It should be released in Germany later this year; it is a total redo. A number of previous posts talk about what has changed.

Given that it will be so new, and the potential problems that come with a new release, the current make, a classic, is and will continue to be a good buy. I'm seeing a major glut on the market as the German connection could not turn off the production of E classes in as timely a fashion as they did with US cars. Prices of invoice at Phx dealers, and hundreds over invoice for California bay area dealers is common, although, still requires a "well I will have to talk to my manager" routines. I'm zeroing in on an E430 with these caveats and will wait until the new E has some of the bugs out.
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    DL - I guess there will be some coming off three and four year leases for a while. Other than people who must replace their auto every x years, or, perhaps, the new quintuplets make an E too small, I can't imagine why anybody would want to give one up. I know I'd be really POed if mine were stolen or clobbered in a crash. Good luck with your search.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    With the pending new model release in a year, does it take away from the present model??

many have written they will wait. What is the cost and is it worth it? Food for thought.

My 01 e430 after 5000 miles has really jumped in gas milage. now at 20mpg. Should be interesting when air conditioning season comes. Only problems is incosistant gas gauge.
  • kcsuprattkcsupratt Member Posts: 23
    I've been driving my new E430 sport and I noticed alot of body roll. I am used to my Maxima SE and the new MB has alot over body roll. What can I do to make the turn a high speed less of a roll ?

I still like the car but like to make it better.

Thanks
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    You can get the AMG Euro suspension kit.

Part number:

A2103213204 Frnt spings

A2103243804 Rear "

A2103235565 Front anti roll

HWA2103260165 Rear ""

A2103234100 Front shocks

A2103262300 Rear "

Not Inc, but in pic

210 321 01 84 Front 5mm spring pads

210 325 01 84 Rear " " "

I found this at http://www.mbworld.org

car is amazing, big 17' wheels give lots of grip, and I understand your observation haveing same set up. Buy tightning up the springs or amg kit, you will add harshness to the ride. With the smooth power and gripping of the tires, the roll becomes more apparent than on a E320. But if you "do the tightenup", the car changes in character. Some of it will be better, some worse.

Good luck and keep us posted if you do anything.
    I cant find what you posted in www.mbworld.org.
    Bargamon, do you think the ride would be much harsher if i tighten the car ? The ride now is smooth, but if i make it harsher, the wife might object.

Thanks

PS Anyone know a place in NJ to get aftermarket parts installed ?
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    kcsupratt, I am attempting to fix the same behavior in my 2001 E320 with AMG 17" monoblocks. I have Dunop 8000 on mine which are really sticky and corner fantastically....which exposes the body roll issue.

I have decided to install Eibach Pro-kit springs, but elected not to change shocks or install anti-sway bars (another $1200 installed). Eibach makes the AMG springs, I am told. This will reduce roll and also lower the car about 1". Total solution: $550 installed and aligned.

It will be installed next Tuesday at Globe MotorSports in Los Angeles.. I'll let you know how it goes. You can read about Eibach on their own website, or at tirerack.com, under suspension.
    I cant find what you posted in www.mbworld.org.
    Bargamon, do you think the ride would be much harsher if i tighten the car ? The ride now is smooth, but if i make it harsher, the wife might object.

Thanks

PS Anyone know a place in NJ to get aftermarket parts installed ?
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    My '00E430 has developed at least 50 plus pin hole sized defects (cracks?) in the front windshield.

The dealer states that this was due to sand or very tiny rocks. My E430's body is in perfect condition with no defects or chips secondary to rocks or sand. In addition, I can not remember any event while driving which may have caused this problem.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to have my car's tires rotated and will ask to speak with the service manager.

Will my insurance cover the front windshield?
    Should I call M-B and at least ask for a new window? Should I get a second opinion from a body shop? Finally, does anyone know how much a new Rain-sensing front windshield costs to replace?

Thanks.
    Why did you decide on the Eibach springs and not H&R springs?

I heard that the Eibachs were too stiff of a ride. I have a E430 and want to drop it too.

The few people I have spoken to recommend H&R over Eibach.

Input from you on your decision would be greatly appreciated.
    Here is a link to the post.

http://www.mbworld.org/forum/w210/board/messages/1995.html

A guy was selling the kit, and was asking $950 for it all. However, I believe he has sold it.

I had a friend of mine examine my windshield.
    He has owned many Porches' and Bimmers. He thinks I have many fine "sand" particles embedded in the windshield. He recommended a "paste" to remove them.

I usually drive my E430 85mph plus on the highway. Perhaps, my high speed driving combined with being stuck behind too many large trucks explains this sand.
    Anyway, I will let you know more tomorrow.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    Taison,

GlobeMotor chose them for me...then I did some research. The persuasive article for me was:

http://www.eibach.com/NewsReleases/061600%20Auto%20Motor%20und%20Sport-2.pdf

This article is referenced on the Eibach site, so who knows.

Hope this helps.

• tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2001 E 55 and I do find the steering slighly "numb or soft" not at all like my 93 500E and I wondered if there are any changes availble to the steering mechanism or power steering pump that would change the feel? There is some softness also in the ride and it feels somewhat less firm than the 740sport.
    How differently sprung is the euro E55?
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Where can I get the model wise monthly sales details for MB. They used to post the monthly sales details on their website but have stopped posting these for some time.
    Having not done such an alteration, I am not an authority on tighting up a car.

My thoughts and observation is the car rolls more than I would like. Tighting would give it a quicker feel accelerating and braking. But ride quality would suffer.

A friend of mine tried to get a E55 but decided to get a bmw 540, changed the chips, springs, and exhuast. He needs a sedan to drive like his 2 yr old porche. He regrets the exhuast change as its too loud. Ride quality is not an issue as this is his desired effect. I purchase the E430 knowing that it smooth and powerful, and with larger wheels will track differently than 320. The suspension is the same for both. The sport package does not alter the basic suspension either. Some have remarked the E55 is alot harsher than other E's, and you can feel alot of the road.
    I like road feel but don't like to feel the many imperfections. I think the very competent tires grip well and magnifies the roll more than the 16 wheel set up does. I think the car sits well and the 17' wheels fill up the wells just fine.
    Some have commented that Mercedes is "an old man's" car and Bmw is for the younger set. I do believe BMW is more sport minded. I am 40, but don't think im driving an old man car. My previous s class was perhaps.

Unfortunatly its not easy to just alter and see if you like it or not. Try to find an altered car and test it first.
    Good luck!
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    I placed a factory ordered 2001 E430 and paid the dealer $1000 deposit. Last week I got the phone call from the salesperson that the car was built on April 20, 2001 and is waiting to be shipped to USA. Now this week I got another phone call from him and he is asking me to deposit another $2000 meaning a total of $3000 as a deposit.

I asked him that I was not told to give another $2000 his reply was it would be nice to have another $2000.

The car will be coming to LA port on May 29 and probably will be delivered to me sometime in Mid June.

Now I would like to know from you people if this is normal to have $3000 depositI thought usually dealers only ask $750-$1000) or Is it only me getting worried for nothing. Is there something flaky going on with the dealer.

Thanks in advance.
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    VS4. Surely you have contract with the dealer. The contract must specify the deposit amount, the final payment amount, and the total. Pay the dealer as the contract specifies. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    More than a $1K deposit sounds unusual especially for a car as overstocked as the E-class. Even Bay Area dealers have huge inventories. You should be able to buy an E-class for invoice in most areas. Unless you got an exceptional deal back in April, I would stick with the $1K deposit and try and negotiate a better deal when the car comes in. In most states your deposit is fully refundable, so you can always walk if the dealer isn't flexible.

Nil
    NKole,

When I placed my order in end of February I negotiated the price with the dealer and dealer agreed 3% above invoice for E430.

If I understand it correctly are you saying that when the car arrives at the Dealer I can renegotiate the price. Wouldn't it look like that I am breaking the contract.

And if I try to negotiate the price there is a possibility that dealer might say NO to negotiate it further and then If I want the car I pobably have to say YES to the original negotiated price which will make me look bad for just 1-2% of the price.

I ordered this car will all the options except Parktronic so it is a very unique car by itself and was hard to buy as when I ordered the car they were not able to find it at any dealership.

Thanks for the replying and would really appreciate further comments/opinions on this.

Thanks.
  • nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    3% over invoice is a very good deal for the dealer considering the economy and the huge inventory of E-class on dealer lots. As we've all read on Edmunds.com, the current body style is near the end of it's life which makes it much carder to sell.

In Calif. a car buyer can back out of the deal anytime before title transfer takes place; not sure what state your in and if the rules are different.

Your in a very good position to negotiate further discounts on your ordered car. First, you've ordered a loaded car which will be hard for the dealer to sell to someone else. Second, it's likely MB will have special dealer incentives (maybe $3K?) on the E-class by June. Lastly, the 02 models are not very far off.

Yes, it is a little sleazy to ask to change the deal after you've given a deposit, but not against the law. You've got to look after your best interests, and at this point 3% over invoice on an E-class is not a good buy.

If the current dealer refuses to renegotiate, I would cancel the order and go to another dealer in June, negotiate a better deal and tell him to make a dealer trade with the original dealer for your ordered car. Given the economic slow down and the large inventories, dealers should fall all over themselves to sell you an E-class for invoice.

Just my two cents.

Nil
  • dave203dave203 Member Posts: 13
    Gentlemen,
    I looked at a '92 500E for sale. I did not drive it yet. The car looks like a true autobahn high speed cruising machine with a factory air dam in the front, fog lights and wipers for the headlights. I am told this car is a killer and highly exclusive. It has, though, nearly 90K miles. Anyone familiar enough with this machine to tell me about longevity, and repairs/maintenance I might be facing ? Any thoughts/comments would be highly appreciated.
  • kevingrahnkevingrahn Member Posts: 1
    FYI: With the word out on the next gen E class in Automobile magazine, and the big inventory of E's in LA, the dealers are dealin'. I just took delivery of a new E430 at $1K BELOW invoice and included dealer installed CD at supposed dealer "cost" of $680. I also got additional $1.4K toward down payment using MB financing of 7.5% (no pre-payment penalty if paid of early). Net = $2.4K BELOW invoice plus tax savings. Same deal was offered for E320's.
    I had a 93 500e with 110000 miles and sold it to a friend for 20000. It was the best car I ever had which includes the current E55, 2000740sport, porche 993, bmw 530is(1986) 2002, the last two were my previous favorites. The car was so wonderfully smooth and the seats felt great and I'm still sorry I let it go. My friend loves it for the last 5000 miles. There was never any serious problems: power steering pump, water pump, some sort of ignition harness problem. Not bad, but I did have the 100000mile warraty. I don't think the 92 was any different. The car tracked great and it really felt more stable than the E55 at speeds over 110. If it checks out mechanically it should be really enjoyable.
  • 2dimples2dimples Member Posts: 3
    KevinGrahn,

If you don't mind sharing where did you purchase your car? What sales person did you deal with? Please let me know. This info will be much appreciated.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The 500e is my current object of automotive lust

Dave203 - how much are they asking?

Tendons - Where are you located? New Orleans by chance?
    Has anyone ever heard of TST 5000 ? or have is applied to their car ?

Well, I just had it done to my White E430 Sport and now my car is smooth as silk. The TST 5000 is a Teflon coating and it made my car look great.

It has a 5 year warranty and no need to wax it.
    I had a friend recommed it to me and he swore by it. I took a chance and for now I am happy. Lets see how it hold up in the years to come.

The price was $280. He usually charges more than that but my friend took me there and gave me a good deal. I think the regular price is about $350- $400+.

The shop told me that MB did a horrible job preping my car.I think he had to strip off the wax and then applied the TST 5000 to seal in the paint.

I hope by next week I can have some pictures to show everyone plus my new Alpine DVD GPS system.

I am still thinking about the Eibach and H&R springs. I also want to upgrade my brakes. Has anyone upgrade their brakes ? If so, please tell me if it is worth it and what I should get and the cost of it.

Thanks again

Kenny
    yes, new orleans; e-mail:spolet@aol.com
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Kind of weird. I thought about emailing you and asking what maintenance your 500E required.

Fred
    I think that when you negotiate a deal, its a deal.

I am curious, can you back out without losing the deposit??

I think that most deals involve cars on inventory. Special order can be different. You got what you want at a good price. It is possible that you can redue the deal, but you may not get that car.

Once you get behind the wheel, you won't think about the price anymore......

Good luck.
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    I agree that a deal is a deal. However, the dealer approached our poster and said thay wanted more money. When asked why, they said because it would be nice to have.

I also agree that it would be nice for our poster to have a better deal on the new E430. Since the dealer reopened negotiations by asking for a better deal for them, the buyer is only continuing them by requesting a better deal the other way. If the dealer loses this sale thru their greed, it's their own fault.
  • juresjures Member Posts: 42
    i've had it on all my new cars since 1990, including my 2000 desert silver 4matic e320. it is a great product, when i wash the car, it always beads up and looks like it was just waxed, i do have the car waxed/detailed once a year. roger
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    In California you can back out of a deal for any reason, but the dealer may just be looking for a little more security. I'm uncomfortable with the advice to renegotiate the contract, although you could blame the dealer for it because he asked a larger than normal deposit after the fact.

There is the possibility the dealer has another customer at a higher price for the same car so renegotiating may just cause you to wait for the car even longer. While 3% over may be on the high side of what some folks in this forum have found remember this car was not sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer, you had to order it.

Are you willing to risk losing the car for a better deal? It's up to you.
    The M-B dealer rotated my tires and cleaned the windshield. The cleaning helped but there are still some embedded sand particles in the front windshield glass. They are most noticeable in bright sunlight and from the inside of the car.

I do not think that the front windshield needs to be replaced at this time. Anyone else have a similar problem?

As a side note, BMW is planning on releasing its new 6 series Bimmer in 2002. Rumors on the BMW boards report a new 2003 M5 with 490HP. The new 6 series looks fantastic.
    What do you think of this car?

http://www.TaylorBmw.com/bmw/super6series.html
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    I'm not sure if it was TST 5000, but I went to my carwash (detail) place and asked them for the best wax they had. They recommended instead that for $140 they could put on a teflon coating (I don't remember the brand name) that was guaranteed for a year. I did it and it looks great. I have a '00 Desert Silver 320.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    AACCKKK , A 944 BMW ? I DON'T THINK SO.....

I used the starmark national search to get a better idea of pricing and cars available.

1st question it seems W denotes the AWD system ? all most all of the cars had it, is there any problems with this system ? just wondered since about 90% of the trade ins were AWD.

2nd located a 98 turbo diesel with high miles, I understand the starmark warranty is til a 100k total miles regardless of year., are these motors designed to go high milage or should I stay away and continue to search more ??

3rd re the 97 inline 6 vs 98 v6 what are the atvantages , or disatvantages to either ?

lengthy questions i know but don't wanna make a mistake on a vehicle with this kind of $$$

regards, DL
    Well, I like the 6 series bimmer. My '00E430 Sport is a nice car. I even appreciate the multicontour seats. But, sometimes I yearn for more power and better handling combined with a truly sporty auto transmission.

Perhaps, in 1-2 years M-B will have this tranny in the 450HP 2004 E-55?

http://www.BMW.com/bmwe/products/special/smg/main.html

You would not want to be the first buyer of this tranny unless you enjoy spending a lot of time at the service department.

Actually, MB's version of the clutchless 6-speed (called "Sequentronic") has been available in Europe since March for the new C230K coupe and the C-class ;-). From what I've heard, it's a hoot! Too bad that we won't be getting it here because I'd love to try it out too :-(.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Thanks to eveyone who replied to my posts. I really appreciate all the help.

I talked to the SalesManager today and told him what the salesman told me on Friday. He denied that he even asked the salesman to ask me for more money but he did say that on this type of unique(almost fully loaded E430) special order car there norm is to ask for more deposit(but not after the deal is made) in the beginning.

I told him that even if he himself(SalesManager) would have asked me for money now, I would not have given them a single penny more. The reason I was ticked because initially they asked for only $1000 and I gave them what they asked for so why ask for more money in the middle.

SalesManager apologized that SalesMan asked me for more money.

The way I read the SalesManager is that I think SalesManager was lying that he did not ask the SalesMan to ask for more money. I think what made SalesManager change his mind is that when I told him I will not be giving more money even if I have to cancel the order.

Anyways as of now the deal stands as it was before 3% above invoice. And I think even if I get the car at invoice, it is not worth the hassle for me to save another $1800 at most. I just want the car as of yesterday...

Again, Thanks for all the help.
  • das_jesterdas_jester Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are looking at a 99 E320 and it although it has many great features one thing we find is that in the back you can feel a lot of sway back and forth and up and down while driving.

It is almost like the suspension is loose / not tight. Is this the normal ride for such a car? We are used to a Lexus ES300 which is a tigher ride, but this car is bigger than the 320 so we do not know if this is "normal" for MB trying to make the ride cushy.

Thanks,

Kevin
This discussion has been closed.