Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    The banging noise that you hear may not be coming from the speaker. More than likely when you go over a sharp bump like a speed bump, the rear head rests will move up off the rest position and then flop back down making a noise. This is probably what you are hearing.
    One other oil that is recommended by mercedes is Castrol Syntec. I have used Castrol 5W50 for several years now ever since they came out with the Syntec with execellent results, and it stays in my cars all year long with out changing the viscosity. My cars are driven from the heat of southern calif desert in the summer to the cold winters of the high Sierra's in the winter time with outstanding performance. I mention this as I find that the Castrol Syntec with the proper viscosity seems easier to find than the Mobil 1.
  • mcaleermcaleer Member Posts: 11
    I'm planning to purchase the I 320 4Matic within the next few months. I asked the local sales manager about the 2002's: when are they going to be available, will there be any special editions as there has been in the past for last model year and what are the improvements for 2002? I was told the earliest they will take orders is July, the dealer won't see them until August or September, there are no changes/improvements and the only special edition will be for the LS. True?

2d question is on the Timeport phone. Is it a 3 watt a 0.5 watt. The dealer wasn't sure. Also, will it handle AT&I text messaging. I've become very dependent on short messaages from the office that don't interrupt a conversation with client, just a beep and I have a message on my Nokia screen.
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I ordered my 2002 over a month ago and got a build date of the first two weeks in June. Delivery is a little uncertain due to the release date allowed by MB. I hear that there will likely be some type of roll out in July with the release of the C Class coupe, and several others. Timing is not certain, however.

The info your dealer is giving you doesn't seem accurate.

Only change for 2002 is a remote trunk release (not even sure where this is). No final word on special release versions or packages but if they do this, it will likely be in Spring 2002 as they wind the factory down for the retooling of the 2003.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Thanks for pointing out these pictures. At least we know now that the "Single Wiper System" will be phased out for 2003. MB started to listen.
    Jean
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    The trunk of my 2001 E-430 can be opened by key, from the key fob, or from a switch inside the car. Maybe they will add a trunk release inside the trunk for 2002.

Regarding the cd player, my car has the COMAND system, and the factory-installed 6-cd changer is mounted in the trunk. I can play single cd's in the COMAND system if I am not using the navigation feature. I believe an after market cassette player can be added in the glove compartment.

The Timeport phone has a key for both voice mail and text messages, but I have not used these features. I don't know the power, but previous posts have stated that the telephone has higher power when plugged into the car. I can confirm this, as I've never had reception problems in the car.
  • compuser38compuser38 Member Posts: 2
    I just put down a deposit on a desert silver/java, 2001 E320 with E2, heated seats and MB CD mounted in the trunk.
    MSRP 52,114
    Invoice 48,500

The sales price was 47,386 (around a 1K less than invoice, 5K less than MSRP). My monthly lease payment is 638. for 39 months/12k miles. I will pay the taxes up front so I need to bring in a little less than $2900 when I pick up the car for taxes (2114), first payment, and tags.

I did not haggle at all except for asking to throw in the cd player (would have added $12 per month) and the cargo nets. I just put in a request for a quote through autobytel (which gave me another dealer in my area - I'm in NY) to make sure I'm getting a fair deal. The dealer I went to had 2 desert silvers on the lot.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should upgrade the wheels (my wife prefers the stock wheels) to give it a sportier look.

Please share some thoughts on this purchase with me, I've found the posts on this site extremely valuable. TIA
  • cte430cte430 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 E430 Came with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires and it is nearing time to replace them. I was just wondering what other recommendations you may have, and what their characteristics are compared to the Goodyears. I want to stay with high performance tires.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    HOw many miles did you get of the F1's???? I like the tire also, and at tirerake its reasonable, but I would like some all season ability. I have heard good things about the yokohama DB's. Quiet with good handling.

Let us know what you end up with.
  • mcaleermcaleer Member Posts: 11
    Very good deal. Do you mind telling me who/where you did it? The best I came up with was $1500 over invoice from CarsDirect. My local dealer was over MSRP!
  • 96e32096e320 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

Is anyone using a k&n stock replacement air filter in an E-class MB? Drew, what do you think? K&N claims it will increase the air intake over the stock paper filter and possibly improve the fuel mileage slightly. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    One Word -- Don't!
  • yahoo2yahoo2 Member Posts: 28
    To all:
    What is the thought of adding additives like Prolong or Power Max to the engine oil, transmission oil and fuel? Also adding to synthetics (Mobil 1)?
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    Just curious if you have found a fix, it's not really a defect but with my sports suspension, I wouldn't find getting rid of this distraction over speed bumps..
  • armoredveharmoredveh Member Posts: 13
    All, my 01 E55 came with Dunlop Sport 9000 tires. While the traction and grip are fantastic and although the car always feels planted, it seems to want "hunt" a little while driving at a constant speed on the highway. Knowing that the steering ratios are higher in AMGs when compared to other E Class cars, is this a normal characteristic? Or are the tires causing the problem? A new acquaintance with an E430 Sport says it's the tires and that I should switch to Yokahama's.
    I think it's the sensitive steering of the E55 that it takes some getting used to. It tends to follow road imperfections more due to the wider tires and stiffer suspension.
  • rflynnrflynn Member Posts: 1
    rexconde1 Jun 11, 2001 10:24am

Just out of curiosity, why not? All I know about them is that they used (20 yrs ago) to be highly touted for motorcycle aftermarket use.
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I also have an 2001 e55 with dunlop sp9000 and have been complaining of the sensation of the car sort of either hunting or darting slightly from side to side as speeds increase over 80-90. It just doesn't track rock solid. It's sort of like there are little gusts of wind that are pushing the car. I'd love tohear from someone who changed tires to anything else and whether that made a difference. I thought that the steering ratio in the 55 and the 430 were the same. Stewart////spolet@aol.com
    I do think I've gotten more used to it, but it's still annoying. Stewart
    Keep them in the up position.
    I agree with bargamon, raise the headrests if the noise is a problem. The only time that I have ever heard it is when I have gone over big rolling speedbumps that would pop the rear end up. The fix would be to go slower or raise the headrests. I haven't found this to be annoying as the problem is with the driver.
  • landinggearlandinggear Member Posts: 22
    What is the best car cover for the E-320? I would prefer one that did not have the Mercedes name or logo on it. (Why alert thieves?)
    What is the exact URL for this forum which will take you to the messages you haven't read? My bookmark takes me many messages behind.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Does your bookmark end with a / and a number? (Like "/1525" or something.) If so try removing that part so that the URL ends with .ee9e7cf.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Finally I took the delivery of my new 2001 E430 after 4 months of waiting time. It came with all the options except parktronic. I am glad that I took the decision to purchase this than Lexus LS430. This is my first Mercedes. I get a good feeling sitting in this car because of several reasons of this car...

Anyways, I have few questions for you folks, I will appreciate your kind response to these:

1. Steering column is not centered, it is little bit to the left. I talked to the technician and he told me this is the way all the Mercedes are because of safety reason. Is this correct?

2. To me it seemed like car pulls to the right and technician looked at the alignment. Alignment is all good according to him. So is this also normal or is it because of the roads we have in the NorthWest?

3. If I have my radio or CD ON, the Navigation will not mute the Radio/CD. My understanding was that it will mute the radio or CD until Navigation gives the instructions. Could some one please verify the functionality on this?

Otherwise I think this is a wonderful machine to drive!!!

Thanks for the help in advance!
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,

Costco Wholesale stores are offering a $50 dollars off for Michelin Tires. The sale is on from June 18 through July 1st only. Besides, a coupon is needed and you could ask for it at customer services before making the transaction.

I received this info in the mail and I thought of sharing it with you..

Cheers
  • keikoe55keikoe55 Member Posts: 24
    does any one have alpine navigation one their e if you do plese give me some information thanks for all the good advice!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I have an e55 with dunlop sp9000 and it initially drifted to the right over a 2-300 yard distance. This has decreased after 4-5000 miles. Alignment they said was normal.
    Steering wheel is offset slightly to the left; no idea why this is a safety factor, seems like a b.s. factor.
    Radio , cd, should mute when directions are given:Is the volume of the nav turned up?
    Tendons -

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

Yes, the volume for the Navigation is turned up. I do hear the Navigation instructions but they are coming out while the CD or Radio is playing. And my impression was that it will mute the CD/Radio while giving the instructions and will un-mute the CD/Radio after it has finished giving instructions.

So, I do not know if the system is suppose to work like this or there is a problem with it.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    . . . there is a menu which can only be used when you are not navigating. It's called something like "Setup," or maybe accessed with one of the panel buttons on the left (I forget, I only have a Ph.D.). This will allow you to set the ratio between the navigation and radio levels. You can thus maintain a little background music while you are getting instructions, which seems less jarring than having the regular audio completely cancel. I also adjusted the navigation voice to come only from the left front so that the sound doesn't fill the car.
    My new E-320 came with the telephone hookup but I did not opt for the phone. I already own a better Motorola, the V-8160 (aka the "Vader." I notice the plug is the same.

Can my phone be adapted? After all, how many cellular phones do you need?
    I think it may depend on the tires, my 430 has the goodyear f1's and I recall when new it did it. I think it depends on the grade of the road, which bank for rain run off. see if it happens on all roads. I don't notice it any more.

Wheel off set, I never noticed it.

Good luck.
  • kcsuprattkcsupratt Member Posts: 23
    Keikoe

I have the Alpine Nav in my E430. I have yet to take any pictures of it. I will as soon as i stop being lazy. What questions to you have ?
    Email me at kcsupratt@yahoo.com with you number and I will call you if you want to talk in person.

Thanks

Kenny
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    You probably know this already, but just in case: While the NAV function is activated on your COMAND system, you can press the volume knob to have the voice instructions repeated. During that time (while the NAV voice is playing), you can adjust the voice's volume.

Hope this helps. And while walto's adjustments are slick (having only the driver's speakers activated during NAV vocals), most of my passengers are enthralled when the magic COMAND NAV system tells me what to do and when! So I let everyone hear the instructions and just glow with pride in my MB!
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Fantastic. Never have to buy another. Good for 1M miles. Do not void warranty. Will greatly increase air intake flow. Any milage gain is a plus but don't count on it.

Why do you think F1,CART etc use them?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    IIRC, the same air box is used for the E55 as the E320 (same case with the ML320 and the ML55). If so, the stock air box is already oversized for the smaller engines. Check this out regarding K&N and MB's opinion:

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m5490.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    I'd appreciate comments any might have regarding cars you looked at before buying or perhaps not buying an E-Class car. I have test driven a 2001 E320 and was very impressed. Definitely one of the best cars I have ever driven, albeit just a test drive. If I were to buy an E-Class, I would like to add the 4Matic option. I have test driven the ML320. It was also a good ride but not quite as nice as the sedan. I have not test driven a C-Class but the unavailability of 4Matic until MY2002 is a negative for me since I need to replace my 1988 vehicle this year. Although I can afford an E-Class, is it really worth the $50++K price. I'd like to balance frugality and quality. I did test drive a Subaru Outback LLBean (dealership did not have VDC model) and it was definitely better than the Toyota Highlander. The Subaru VDC MSRP is almost $32K, $20K less than the MB E320 (I could build a nice inground pool with the savings) . I have some doubts about how well the Subaru will hold up long term. There were some negative consumer comments about the build quality of the Subaru Outback on carreview.com, but review on Edmunds is positive.I plan to look at an Audi A6 and a BMW 330xi too. Why not add to the confusion :-). Thanks for any comments you might have in helping me with my automotive considerations.

P.S. The MB dealership was much more considerate than the Subaru dealership regarding the test drive. Subaru said that we could not drive over 4 miles. Give me a break!
  • sdjuminsdjumin Member Posts: 16
    Recently, my 1998 E320 has developed jerky, hesitant forward movements when I try to release brake very slowly in a slow moving traffic. Does anyone else have the same experience and have it fixed? Thanks.
    You are all over the place! Price is important, and you get what you pay for. I started looking at a getting a used 320 for about 35k and ended up with a great deal on a brand new 430 for 51k. Big difference, but well worth it. You have to have a values check and buy with what makes sense. I thought the safety features and benefits were worth it. I considered a A6 turbo because of its price and 4wd. I decided I don't need 4wd as wife has an ML. By the way the ML is a truck and will not drive as nice as an E-class, and its priced accordingly. The audi was nice, and if I was looking at short term lease, I would be ok with it. I was not comfortable with long term durability of the high tech gizmos in the audi and the expense to fix it after warranty. Great interior and fit and finish inside is great. It was the drive train that concerned me. And trade in values.

I am very happy with the ml and would recommend it, but would wait on the c-class unil some first year bugs are worked out. I do think that mercedes in the past over engineerd the cars and they were very expensive. They are comming down in price and in quality in my opinion. Still excellent and still amung the best you can buy, and certainly the safest. This current E class model is the oldest of the mb line up (g-class excepted)and perhaps is the best car they make. For example the build on the old s-class is better than the new one. But you need to figure out where your going with price. I have never had a day of regret for upping my spending on my car and have enjoyed it greatly.
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    Haven't chatted here for a while. Here's my 2-cents on some of the recent chat topics, and some other stuff that might be of interest.

To CTE430, Bargamon.

My 2000 E430W4 was also shipped with F1's. So far, about 10k miles on the tires, can't say too much about the tread wear yet. The tread pattern looks very aggressive and is a good rain design, but my first outing on New England snow was terrifying - even with 4Matic! Ordered 4 Blizzaks on AMG rims from The Tire Rack, put 'em on, and everything was fine after that. F1's are very noisy! The Blizzaks are very quiet! Go figure. When the F1's finally wear out, I'm going to be shopping for sneakers a little quieter than these. Anyone with any thoughts on suitable tires for E430?? What other tires are shipped with E430's? Just F1's, or are there others?

To Landing Gear - -

I got the K2a/StarTAC with my car. My wife's StarTAC will not work on the car's connector. Mercedes changes the firmware in the phone to proprietary code that works with the K2/K2a options. Since they get something like $1000 for the phone, they're unlikely to update your phone's flash memory for compatibility. Actually, I had some early problems with the MB phone working with my Cellular provider, Cingular. For instance, the COMAND display does not show that I'm roaming when I actually am. Cingular offered to "flash" my phone so it would work consistently with the Cingular net - but had I done this, then the K2a features would not have worked. DO NOT let anyone change the flash memory code in your phone. Sort problems out with MB instead.

My experience with the car's quality has been spotty, at best. While so far the 4-year warranty has covered everything, here's a partial list of what has been replaced.

Planetary gear set in 4-matic system (slight whine at neutral throttle)
    Steering rack (intermittent squeaking "dry O-ring feel" in steering)
    Rear Brake Rotors (throbbing on braking - appeared suddenly after the service call to fix the steering rack - no relation to changing a steering rack - explanation = ??)
    COMAND system in its entirety (numerous flaky problems, CD starting problems, Radio reception)
    Gas tank fuel level sender (started out OK, ended up very inaccurate)
    Antenna amplifier somewhere in the headliner (!?)
    Phone Battery (one shipped with phone would not hold a charge when out of the car)
    As I write this, the car is in the shop for completely dead AM and WB radio reception.

I deliberately did NOT buy an extended warranty, for two reasons. The most important is that COMAND, Radio, and other related stuff is NOT covered by this warranty. If you are tempted to get a warranty, ask for a list of what is NOT covered! The second reason is the question about how long one ought to keep this car. If you buy just a basic car without all of the electronic add-ons, then it may make sense to run it into the ground based on MB durability reputation. If, however, you like hands-free phones, COMAND, CD Changers and all the rest, this stuff is going to go obsolete far earlier than the car is going to wear out. So, you're gonna to be hankering for a new car every couple of years to keep these bells and whistles up to date

Another note to all 2000 and newer M-B owners. Massachusetts (at least) offers a 20% comprehensive insurance discount if you have an alarm system, and 35% discount if you have a vehicle recovery system (such as LoJack, OnStar, TeleAid, etc). The small number of M-B's in the overall U.S. "Fleet" most likely makes your insurance agent unfamiliar with the TeleAid/LoJack equivalence. I had to submit "proof" to the agent that the system does this - which I did by sending in a brochure and a copy of the standard equipment list, and am now getting the discount. While this does not offset the $200+ annual cost of TeleAid, it was enough to get me to extend TeleAid coverage. I've had 2 cars stolen in the past and in each case, the thief never had to pay. Knowing they could get caught red-handed is incentive enough for me to pay this! I've suggested both to M-B and the TeleAid contractor that they should do a better job of publicizing these potential discounts.

And, a final note to Varig.

An MB vs a Subaru?? Gee, if you bought a Kia, you could have an EVEN BIGGER in-ground pool. Cars are not investments, IMHO. I agree that E-class is probably the best MB right now. My warranty experience, above, might be of concern since even the dealer (who says the E-Class is the most trouble-free) is surprised at the number of times he has worked on my car. I still am very happy with the car, like the ride, the handling, the power, the 4-matic - - and the cachet, I suppose. For these elements, the car is a good enough value if you can afford it.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    Have you considered the Lexus GS and BMW 5 series, I understand they are what the general public consider as the competition of the E class. My 01 E320 comes with E2 package and stardard Goodyear tires, I think it's a very competent car on wet or dry road (probably not in snow), the ride is firm, steering is precise, and the cabin feels very solid. For less $, maybe you want to consider a VW Passat or Nissan Maxima/Infinite I30. I never considered any one of the above (and I know they are great cars), because I think for the money, you can't get a better engineered and safer car than the E.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Funny you should bring that up.
    Curt's latest newsletter (www.curtrich.com) has a comparo of the E w/ a few competitors. He's quite blunt :-)
    Anyways, if safety is your top priority, I'd still stick w/ a MB...
    Lot of times on this board I have seen people mentioning Courtsey Motors selling Mercedes extended premium warranty at discount. So I called Lisa Marie at Courtesy Motors and she gave me a quote for $1680 for 3 years/100000 miles extended warranty. What I have seen previously on this board was that $1680 was for 4 years/100000 miles?

Could someone please verify this for me if they paid $1680 for 3 years or 4 years for E430.

Also like to know if COMMAND system will display callerID on the screen. I have K2a package in my car. Please provide instructions how to have it display callerid if it is capable of doing it.

Thanks.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    But the purchase of a car is not a trivial activity. I buy a car, no leasing for me, and drive it until I no longer have confidence in the vehicle. I expect at least 12-15 years of "relatively" good performance from whichever car I buy.... that's why I am not looking a Ford product or a Kia :-) I follow the service schedule religiously and always replace critical parts as needed. I don't think that I am unique in expecting my money's worth. I know I would enjoy owning a MB, but is it worth $20K more than another reasonably well built car. I would be upset if I ended up with a car that had one problem after another. I know that anyone can end up with a lemon, but I would hope that the risk is not a great with MB. Anyone have some long term ownership experience they would like to share?
    vs4 -

On my 2001 E-class without COMAND, the callerID number appears on the dash as well as the radio so I'm sure it will appear on the COMAND screen as well.

The phone is smart enough to match the incoming number to your address book and display the name of the caller.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I feel the same way as you. The first car I put through that process was a 1988 Acura Integra. It lasted 6yrs before starting to rust. It lasted about 3yrs before needing new shocks. It had rattles after the warrantee and screws fell out inside. It always ran though, except for the times the battery needed replacement.

What I expect of a MB is better durability if current models are like the old ones. They are also more solid (compare frame members, bumpers, etc.) than most Japanese models (though maybe the high end Lexi or Acuras are better now since mine was really a souped up Civic). They are not as reliable as Japanese cars. Just be aware of that tradeoff.

Every maker makes a lemon once in a while, even Honda and Toyota.
  • john319john319 Member Posts: 37
    I think what she sold you covers 7 years or 100k from delivery date. Since the original one is 4/50 you are basically buying another 3/50.
    John319- Thanks for replying to my question.

What I was wondering, if $1680 is what people paid for 7 years/100000 or 8 years/100000 warranty.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.