Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jneejnee Member Posts: 21
    I was told the incentives are good until they sell all the 2001s. So I agree with you jures, although I can't say I'm absolutely sure b/c I don't work for MB:) If one sacrifices choice of color, there seems to be a lot out there. I'm just having a hard time finding a fair deal. I also am tempted about the new E b/c the photos look nice, but have to see it in person. But then again, probably can't afford the new one. But the photos do look nice! You guys should join the tues night MB chat if you can. It's a lot of fun:) Will try both dealers. Thanks a bunch.
    I guess you got a fair deal from them. Actually spoke with both dealers. Quoted me same unreasonable price. But all your info has been very helpful. My search continues...
    Hey guys, look! A chance to maybe help someone else the way you all have been helpful to me:) As you may have read there's a $2000 incentive on the E320. But after a few calls I haven't gotten a fair deal yet. I say we hold out until we get a good deal:) If you don't need a car right away, there's always the 2002s as plan B:)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    If there is a $2K incentive on the E-class and you feel that $2K below the dealer's invoice price is fair as you said in the chat, how do you think they supposed to make any money? That would be like giving the car to you at what they paid for it, which would obviously not fly with the bosses, nor would it look good in their books ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Thanks. I have the urge again to try and find one, but I think it will pass simply because I want a "new" car.

M
  • landinggearlandinggear Member Posts: 22
    Take a look at Magellan. I've used it many times in Hertz rental cars. It seems to be a lot easier to use than Command.
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    Drew: Dealer cost is not invoice, it is invoice less 3% of MSRP for holdback less any factory incentive. The case you cited in post #2005 would leave more than $1500 for dealer profit.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    The "thump" you described is probably caused by something attributed to the 4matic feature. The noise on my front brakes is very subtle, and can be heard with the windows up. It only happens at the last moment of stopping - right before the front end lifts itself back up, and right after I release the brakes from stopping. It is like the pads tend to "bite" on the rotor when they are cold.
  • kcsuprattkcsupratt Member Posts: 23
    I have the Alpine DVD GPS. Go to www.benzsport.com and look at the gallery. I am under Chance.

I have more pics if you need to see them.

Good luck
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    I don't think anybody replied about the special tool for getting the oil canister cap on your '97
    E-Class. (If I overlooked a reply, I apologize)

The article that Drew referred to shows a metal cap, so I'm pretty sure we need the tool that I'am talking about below:

I have the '96 E320, but I believe it is the same cap size. (It actually also fits my '97 BMW Z3, but that is another story.)

It should be a plastic cap. The socket should be a 74.4 mm 14 point socket. The most referenced socket for this is the Hazet 2169. It fits on the extension of a 3/4'' wrench. I've ordered my socket from BaumTools, but there are many resellers of Hazet hand tools.

Changing the oil this way is actually a breeze, it's very easy to change the filter without having any oil drips.

Good Luck !
    I agree with donald02. That's why I was saying I wasn't getting a fair deal. Depending on availability and demand, I knew I might have to pay a little more, but the quotes they're giving me are too high. It seems like they're trying to keep all of the incentive and getting me to pay for the dealer's commission too. Remember what I said about the cd changer during the chat(the price of the car is worse)? $800-900? That's absurd. Out of everyone, only 2 dealers were fair. But didn't have my second choice color either. So still thinking about those. If things don't work out there's always 2002:) Still appreciate your thoughts:) Thanks.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I can completely relate. I haven't had a brand new car in twenty years and I'm ready. What's on your short list?? Lots of great choices out there, the new C's are very nice.
    will all the '03Es have the new braking system?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well actually I'm considering (realistically) a BMW 330Ci Convertible, Passat W8 or maybe a used 2000 E430. I'm kinda confused right now. I'm not sure if I want another convertible or not. Then I have to think do I really want a 4-door car? I'm just not sure at this point.

M
  • quirkquirk Member Posts: 5
    i have a 1995 E320 wagon, 15" wheels, is the bolt hole pattern the same for 1996 and newer wheels,(16") ??? thinking about going larger but was going to stick to MB wheels.

thanks

carl
  • boladojboladoj Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone give me insight on how to install the cd changer? I have found the wires but the dealer has said that I do not need any brackets for installation. Where does the changer attach to?

Thanks
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    A few weeks ago, someone posted a website that had replacement gearshift knobs. They are really sharp looking. Can someone tell me how you remove and replace the knob? I have a '98 E320. Thanks.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    If it's the same as the 2000 - turn the metal ring just under the head of the know - let it drop down - pull (do not turn) the knob straight up.

Remove the old ring - put the new one on - push the new know straight down - reattach the ring.

That's it - took all of a minute.

JR
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    I installed a changer myself in my '01 wagon, but I did it in a cheesy yet effective manner. I assume you see the "slot" it can slide into vertically. I made a container out of some styrofoam that I had lying around that I fit very snugly into the space, with a hole cut out for the wires. Considering the added cushioning of styrofoam, I'm pretty happy with it. I couldn't figure out a reasonable way to attach it to any of the holes I saw there.
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    tendons Jun 11, 2001 8:12pm

My standard vanilla '98 E320 wanders/hunts just like your E55, and I didn't even have to pay extra for it! The car only has 15,000 miles on it. I don't know, maybe that's just the way these things are. It's got the Eagle LS tires. I, too, thought it must really be a windy day. But that's secondary to my major complaint--the seats. Why can't MB build a seat that's as comfortable as my wife's 2001 T-5 Volvo? The E-320 seat is so hard your belt loop gouges into your spine and you can feel the seams in your jockey shorts!
    Thanks for the quick response. The site that I saw the knobs on is airpressusa.com. I like the burlwood and aluminum one. My only concern with them is its seems that their knobs have a stick on logo. What did you add and where did you get it?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I believe performanceparts.com was the real store behind the auction - mine is burl wood. One caveat there is slightly more brown in this one so it is not a perfect match, but I do like it much more than the original.

Mine does not have a logo on it at all, it's just "plain wood".

JR
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I believe most knobs for newer MB's are interchangeable. I have changed mine to a plain burlwood with no logos. I think http://www.precisionauto.com/ has some nice ones that are on the S-class section. I think they're similar to the airpressusa ones. I think the ones with burlwood and a matching leather looks nice.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    the knob you mention from airpressa is a knockout. I got it and it looks great. The wood matches perfectly and the aluminum is a great touch. Not too flashy and works well with the other chrome highlights on the dash. I get constant complements and my friends get them for thier cars. the stick on logo is infact a well made laminated plastic piece that snaps in to a precut area giving it a recessed look. It works well and feels good in the hand. It is very reasonably priced campared to alot of wood and leather versions I have seen. In the airpress site look under "all models" and you'll find it. It installs in seconds. can you tell im happy with it?
    You do indeed sound pleased. I'm convinced. I just placed the order with airpress for the burlwood and aluminum one. I'll post my thoughts after I get it and install it.

Thanks
  • tomskytomsky Member Posts: 8
    I got my burlwood shift knob from http://www.gapa.com/. Go to page 9 of Mercedes specials. It's all wood without the leather top. It also has an elegant chrome ring. The wood matches perfectly with the center console.

Jack

• tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I think the wandering has decreased alot after 5000 miles, but it's still not rock solid. I had some slight drifting to the right which a .3 degree adjustment of castor seemed to help a whole lot. Will be taking a long trip next week and will see how the wandering goes.
    I'm not sure about seats. I had vast difficulties with the bmw740sport-comfort seats and with the mercs multicontour seats things still aren't absolutely wonderful. I keep making adjustments with the lumbar support, and seat hight and rake. It may be me at this time, but I remember and more so does my wife the complaints I had about the seats in the 93500e for the first two years.Getting old's a [non-permissible content removed], even in a mercedes.
  • gadomgadom Member Posts: 16
    Where can I find an aftermarket cd player that is compatible with the cars (2001 E320) audio system.
    Thanks.Also any good source for aftermaket accessories?
  • muddogmuddog Member Posts: 26
    I seem to recall reading here some time back that the Ems have a problem involving using the key to roll down the windows. Sometimes, when you then try to roll the window back up, it "falls" down several inches. VERY annoying.

Is this common, and is there a permanent fix for it?

I have a 2001 E430 I with about 9000 miles on it. I take it in for initial FUSS service in a couple of months.

Thanks.

Mud dog
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I've experienced the same thing in my 2000 E320 and have found two fixes. One, learned from this forum, is to use the key fob to lower all four windows and open the moon roof (hold the unlock button down); then, use the key fob again to raise the windows and close the moon roof. I understand this synchronizes everything.

I've also discovered that, after a rear window is raised and then drops down several inches, keeping pressure on the appropriate rear window "up" switch for a few seconds usually returns the window to the full up position, and it remains there.

I hope this works for you. Let us know.
  • rokinkeadrokinkead Member Posts: 18
    The solution to that problem is in the manual. It is not a flaw, but rather a consequence of design. Therefore, it will happen again, and cannot be permanently "fixed".
  • retiredjeffretiredjeff Member Posts: 33
    When I picked up my 2000 E320, I recall the sales guy noting that that drop down of a couple of inches was a safety feature to avoid having the window close on something (like a kid's hand that was accidentally in the way). Elsewhere on this forum, I recall someone reporting that the sensitivity of this feature can be adjusted by the dealer. Might be dreaming, but I thought someone said that.

Jeff
    this is a pretty good deal in comparison to the dealers price:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/OEM/OEMChangers.htm

I also could not find a reasonable place to screw in the changer. I just "threw" it in the area where the wires are kept (back side to the bottom of the car, front facing up). So far it is working but there must be a way to attach it.

I am thinking of putting in a subwoofer to give the stereo a little bottom end. It will be a fabricated enclosure either by the first aid box or in the middle of the spare tire.

jack
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Is $52,200 (incl tax) a good price for 2001 E320 4Matic Sedan (Obsidian Black, E2, Heated Seats).
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    A couple of sites have the Becker 2662, which is the one you need (connects to fiber-optic system, etc.). www.autotoys.com or www.continentalimports.com has them for something like $435. Connecting the changer is trivial, mounting it in the wagons(as mentioned a few posts ago) is not so obvious. Sedan should be easier.
  • ahmadmahmadm Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know of any MB model which is a 4 door convertible and available in US?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    I just posted on my Car page, the best photos available of the NEXT E class. At:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

Just scroll down to my link( in red ).

It's actually my roommate's site.

I also posted undisguised pictures of the SL
  • juresjures Member Posts: 42
    the best pricing I received on a 2001 e class is the edmunds invoice price - $2000. I am moving up from a 2000 e320 4 matic to a 2001 e430 4 matic that is loaded with equipment and color I want. the dealer is transferring the extended warranty and doing some other things.. I almost jumped into a 2001 bmw 740, but the 4 matic keeps me in a mercedes. roger
  • dcman2dcman2 Member Posts: 24
    I do agree, as a few posts suggested earlier, that the seats are kind of uncomfortable no matter what position you set them to. To make things worse, I am not sure whether the A/C unit distributes cooling evenly. I took my E320 out for a couple of hours of drive on a real hot and muggy day. I felt the seats stayed much warmer compared to the cabin temperature. I tried to direct the vents towards seats. But that did not help much. I am not sure how "ventillated seats" works. I took the car from the dealer's inventory and it did not carry that as an option. Is this just me or do you all feel the same? Any thoughts? Also, any of you tried after market add-ons to make the seats more comfortable?
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    It is my understanding that the 2002's were to be released today. They would be held up, however, based on inventory on the lots of 2001's. Has anyone out there seen a 2002 on the lot today or recently? Please let us know so that I can put pressure on my dealer to release the 2002 that I ordered that he has sitting on the docks until MB releases them.
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    there are six fans under the seat which blow upwards. Their effect is not remarkable, but there is a sensation of coolness in the seat, felt better if your pants or skirts are fairly thin. They do seem to help with keeping away some of the stickiness from long rides. I don't think they're worth the 1000 or so. i think the human body doesn't do so well with a cold [non-permissible content removed].
  • alirobalirob Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone had experience changing the glass cover for the front fog lights on the e320. I thought it would be easy but when I looked under the bumper I saw that the fog light assembly was enclosed within the bumper. You would think that since the fog lights are mounted so low where they are vulnerable to stones and other road debris, that the cover would be an unbreakable plastic instead of glass.
  • 1cajun1cajun Member Posts: 3
  • 1cajun1cajun Member Posts: 3
    Fog light lens are easy to replace. Look for access door under the car, right under the fog lamp. Open this door and release the entire fog light assy with a couple of nuts. The entire assy will hang though this door, suspended by the wires. The lens is held on by two or three clips. Pull the clips off and the lens comes off. Replacement lens at MB dealer are about $18. The only MB bargin i've ever found. Good luck.
    Does anyone know of any changes made on the 2002 Es? Thanks.
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    The only change that they have published to the 2002E's is an interior trunk release. I guess this in case you get locked in the trunk!

Also, there will be some improvements to the Tele Aid system (not sure if this will apply to pre-2002's) that include concierge services and one other feature.

The 2002's were supposed to be released Monday, July 16, but due to the number of 2001's on the lot, they are delayed with no word as to when they will release.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    I think the human body varies with each and every person, and its an individual preference. For those whom are in need, the multi-bladder seat can accomodate. For me, I love the base seat. Its perfect and one reason I got the E. The multi contour for me would be a waste.

My wife prefers her ML which is very different in that you sit on top of the bucket, where the base seat in the E you get "hugged". For her contours, it suits her better. No right or wrong, just different.

My friend swears his 94' camrey is better for him than his 98' C class. Whom am I to argue.

He claims the bottom of his seat is shot. His wife drives it and she is only 130lbs. Does anyone know if it can be restuffed? and is it costly?
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I am not that impressed with the styling of the
    2003 E Class. I think the car resembles a Jaguar "S" type. However, it will fit nicely between the C and S Class.

I saw AutoWeek last night and the review of the new C Class mentioned a few problems with early
    (first 3-6 month) production run. I would wait until the end of the 2003 model year or 2004 to buy the new E.

I hope the new interior and engine give me a reason to buy the M-B instead of the Lexus or BMW 540I.
This discussion has been closed.