Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Good for you in avoiding an expensive and unnecessary upgrade to eliminate the "wallowing"! I guess a bad shock really can cause problems.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I have my cars serviced at MB of Laguna Nuguel also and have gotten very good service. Several years ago when I first got my ML which is a 1998 I was having some trouble with the a/c. I was able to speak with the technician and explain exactly to him what the symtoms were as opposed to just going trough the service writer. In so doing I was able to establish some credibility with him and was able to convince him that I knew what I was talking about. As a result they were able to fix the problem which was a loose pin in one of the connections to the a/c. This caused it to sometimes to revert to heat instead of a/c.
    They also now have a new service manager who is outstanding and I would recommend that you talk to him if there are any problems. Caliber Mtrs. may be good also but it is too far for me to drive since I live in Laguna Niguel. Plus I like the free weekly wash jobs and annual detailing.
    Wally
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    I recently was in Stuttgart on business. The E-Class has to be the single most common vehicle on the road, especially since it represents the majority of cabs and police cars.

(As a cab, the meter was actually projecting the fare in the rear view mirror, so that the dash itself was uncluttered and almost standard. I thought it was a nice touch.)

It actually makes me trust the car's quality even more as it is used in "severe duty" applications.
  • htohto Member Posts: 21
    Over Stuttgart, they use it as cabs. Over the USA, it is the luxury car that not many people can effort it. Is it fair? :-) What is the difference between them?
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    ... not a whole lot. There are a couple if items:

- Diesel engine
    - High-end synthetic seating surfaces that feel like leather, but are easier to clean. I wouldn't know the difference.
    - No climate control, heated seats, etc.
    - Cab instrumentation

They are otherwise the same vehicle. The main difference is usually the engine configuration.

But I do need to mention that there is a cultural difference. Those German cabs a spotless. You can sometimes see the cabbies mist the cars and clean them while they're waiting for customers.

What really ticked me off was the following: My colleague got a new C-Class as the mid size rental, I didn't. ;) They come with very nice cloth seats and far less features than you'd expect in the US, but they are still very nice cars. It had a very nice 6-speed manual as well.
  • nvcnvc Member Posts: 21
    pvrick - what dealership in SoCal did you get 8K off? What is you actual price, before tax and license?
  • mbman1mbman1 Member Posts: 35
    I would also like to know where to get $8000 off. The 2001 E320's were stickering at $50,000. Your telling me I can pick one up for $40,000? That's the same price as a well equiped C320.
  • pvrickpvrick Member Posts: 2
    Was offered $49,000 out the door on E 320 with E 2 and metalic paint. 6-800 less if white. My calculations have this at $44,783 with metalic or $43,983 white. Sticker on metalic is $50730.
    From dealer in Long Beach, Torrance or Riverside. NOT for Downtown LA or Newport Beach.

I bought E 320 w E 2, K2a, metalic paint, heated seats (came with) for $46,370. List is $54,340.

See Richard at Long Beach or Arron at South Bay in Torrance.

Rick
    Thanks for the info!
  • nkalinkali Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like they might have turned things around there at Laguna Niguel benz, you have a point on the free weekly carwashes, I do used to bring in there often but a couple of times, things ended up getting broken, my power headrest and my center console door, they told me they would not fix it at the time since there was nothing to prove that is was not broken before it came to the car wash. A few weeks ago I took it for my annual detail, they told me that the power headrest was not under the starmark warranty, I informed them, it was broken there when someone was adjusting the seat, and if it was not going to be fixed, I will call MB directly and explain the situation, well it was amazing of the results...fixed, for nothing. Are you happy with your ML ?

Nick
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Don't worry, you didn't offend me.

As for the integrity of cars, my neighbor has the original 1990 Lexus LS400 and it seems as good as new. But I've only owned two cars in my life, so I'll take your word for it.

By the way, you are one lucky person to have both a Lexus and an MB!
  • moderator_drewmoderator_drew Member Posts: 3
    the MB chat tonight has been cancelled. I hope that those of you in NYC or Washington are okay!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Yes, I'm happy with my 98 ML now after many ticky tacky problems with it when it was new. I have stuck with it taking it back to the dealer many times. Laguna Niguel MB worked with me and have corrected all of the problems. I now have nearly 50K on it and it continues to now run very well.
    I also bought a new E430 last year from them and the car is incredible in the way it performs.
    Wally
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    To those of you who live in New York City, and in particularly Manhatten, we want to assure you that we share your deep pain and sadness. Same to our Virginian members civilian or military. You are not alone in this.
    Jean
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for your thoughts. It certainly has been a somber atmosphere for us lucky ones who are here.

It seems everyone in the NY area has been touched by this tragedy.

Best Regards,

Joe
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I noticed yesterday that my passenger side lights
    seem to have a bit of "moisture vapor" inside of them. The rain here has been horrific as a tropical storm passes through my area. My car has been in as much as 4 inches of water. This thin film inside the lights usually dries clear within an hour of being out of the rain.

Can moisture seep inside these lights? If so, does the heavy rain on the ground create an environment for the moisture to get in from the bottom of the car?

Before yesterday I never noticed this problem. Regular rain storms and car washes with the hose do not seem to cause this problem. Should I bother going to the dealership and getting the driver's side lights replaced? The driver's side Xenon and driving lights do not have the problem.
    The bulbs are located inside a sealed housing. When humidity sips in, it condensates on the exterior glass. This is an indication that your cover "seal" is damaged and must be replaced. The dealer will certainly replace the seal under warranty but may not do so for the bulb before it is dead. On my 99 E320 4matic, the dealer replaced the driver side seal, then after few weeks he had to replaced the whole cover to stop moisture. Please keep us informed.
    Jean
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the moisture as it is more than likely condensation and should dry out within a few days when things dry and warm up. Those lights do have a certain amount of humidity in the space as it is not a vacuum so when the light is cooled down from the rain condensation will form on the inside of the glass. This problem is exacerbated by the high humidity in the area where you live.
    Wally
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Thanks, the lights have already dried out.
    I have never seen so much rain here and the humidity is high. My car has been through as much as 4-5 inches of water and the splashing-up was intense.

Should I wait to see if this problem re-occurs?
    Does having Xenon lights alter my approach?
    The problem was only on the passenger side which was exposed to extra heavy splashing and intense pressure as the water pooled on the side of the roads.
    If moisture is dried out completely then you should not worry about it. This moisture sips from the inside when the light assembly is splashed by driving rain. It is waterproof by not water resistant. I am glad your problem is gone.
    Jean
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    The rain sensor on my 2001 E-430 does not wipe soon enough to keep the windshield clean, at least to my liking. The dealer checked it out and said it is working correctly. Does anyone else have the same problem, and if so, has it been corrected by the dealer?
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I assume the e55 has the same sensor. It doesn't wipe as quickly as I would like to, and it feels as if it's about a second or two behind my feeling that it should work, most of the time. At other times it seems to function adequately and at other times, when it's sort of dark out, I think it functions more quickly. My understanding is that there is a light sensing unit which when light is decreased causes the motor to work.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Hi,
    I'm on my second front wiper blade in the last year on my 2000 E and it scrapes like crazy. Has anyone ever tried the Bosch Micro Edge Excel? I've heard this is better than the oem blade.
    I have a 2000 E-class with chrome wheels, I keep the car very clean except for one spot. How do you clean the dirt/rust that accumulates around the lug nuts on the wheels? I've tried wheel cleaners to no avail. It looks terrible in the sunlight, any suggestions are appreciated.
  • htohto Member Posts: 21
    The Bosch Micro Edge is very good. I got the same problem for several times, not on my MB so far but other cars. I replaced them with Bosch and it worked beautifully.
    You need to get the chromed plastic caps that fit over the wheel bolts. They can be obtained at most tire stores that sell wheels. You also may even be able to buy them at your MB dealership. I also have the chrome wheels on my 2000 E430 and have no problems that you describe as I have the caps on head of the bolts.
    Wally
    Thanks for the info Wally, I'll check it out.
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    My E-430 came with lug bolts that have a metal dome cap about 0.080" thick bonded to the top of the bolt itself. When I ordered my Blizzaks on AMG wheels for winter driving, an additional set of bolts were shipped with the wheels. The only difference with the new bolts was the length of the hex part of the bolt, due, presumably, to the different depth of the bolt well in the wheel. These bolts had the same cap on them as the originals, so I assume this is the normal bolt design for MB wheels. These caps look about the same as the bolt metal, which I assume is plated to control corrosion. Their appearance is of a gray, dull galvanizing with the dome cap actually a slightly darker gray than the main body of the bolt.

I polished all of these caps (only) on a power buffing wheel charged with a red compound stick and they came out bright and shiny - looking like bright nickel or chrome. I was and still am pleased with the result. IMHO, this is better than plastic caps since those can be very hard to remove so the lug wrench can be installed on the bolts to remove them. The clearance for caps is very small. I was somewhat worried about buffing off some corrosion protection, but so far they look great and probably could be lacquered (just the top cap) if that were a concern. I can't identify any other reason why the caps would be there other than they were intended to be polished and MB stopped doing this as a cost-cutting step? (of course, this leads to the question of why the caps would be left on unpolished. Maybe without the cap the bolt is really ugly!)

mbman1: I'm guessing here, but if your bolts are actually rusting, and especially if you bought your chrome wheels in the aftermarket, it is possible that you do not have standard issue MB bolts, galvanized and with the cap. If it IS rust, then plastic caps are going to hold moisture in there and accelerate the rusting.
    The caps that go on the lug bolts come with a device that snaps over the cap to pull off the cap in the event you need to remove the wheel. It is not a problem in removing the bolts. I have had the chrome caps on over a year now and have rotated the tires recently with no evidence of rust. IMHO I can say that with the caps they look 100% better than any bolt that has been buffed to a shine as one would need to continue to buff the bolts to keep them shiney unless they have been chrome plated.
    I bought the chrome wheels when I purchased the car from Mercedes Benz. Therefore, I have standard MB bolts.
    I have the standard MB lug bolts also but didn't buy the wheels from MB. However, the caps that fit over the bolt heads came with the wheels when I bought them. It is a nice feature. If I were you I would go back to the dealership where they installed the wheels and ask for the caps as I'm sure that they have them. I happened to lose one of mine and was able to replace it at my dealership
    Wally
    Good idea Wally, my car is due for a service in the next couple of weeks so I'll have it taken care of then. Thanks.
  • chevymalibu98chevymalibu98 Member Posts: 24
    Just wondering what you guys use to detail your E-Class. Somebody mentioned Zaino? Any idea what MB dealers use?

Thanks.
    I have a Black E and tried Zaino, it didn't work out to well. I use Eagle One pure paste wax or paste way with cleaner followed by 3M Hand Glaze for dark colored cars. My car looks great.
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    It is rare to see a post that is less than ecstatic with the results of Zaino. My E320 is brilliant silver and is easier to maintain. However, I have detailed a black Contour on two occasions with excellent results.

If you don't like the Zaino products, let Sal know. I assume that he will make things right for you.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    I have been an avid user of Zaino products for the last 2 years. It clearly is the best polish out there. If anyone has had a bad experience I would suggest user malfunction. My E is Silver and I have a friend with a Black E and they both look great using Zaino. As far as what the dealers use, I assume it's McGuires. It's pretty good wax too.
  • chevymalibu98chevymalibu98 Member Posts: 24
    My folks just bought a 2001 Black Opal Metallic not too long ago. Would it be safe to use Zaino products on it? (i.e., are Zaino products clearcoat-safe?)
    I followed the directions to the Tee, My car ended up have a very smooth finish. The problem was when I pulled it into the direct sunlight, there were cobwebs and I couldn't get rid of them. When I put on the 3M hand glaze several times (3-5) all of the webs are gone and I end up with a very wet looking finish.

I am not saying Zaino is not an excellent product, all I'm saying is it didn't work for me.
  • ricrippricripp Member Posts: 8
    My experience with Zaino. Hell of a process the first time....but the best results I have seen!

Silver E430 - get comments that it looks brand new 1.5 years old.

Black Sienna van - had to clay the van, several coats of #5 (take the swirls out) then several of #2. Looks great!

BTW, spraying #7 after a regular wash is just excellent.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I have more thoughts on the integrated cell phone.

1) I don't get any indication that I have messages or a way to retrieve them through the system.

2) I think that they could go a lot farther with the integration. Since all of the cars come with, essentially, a full analog phone system installed I see no reason why you can't use your integrated phone to:
    a) check on status of windows, lights, sun roof, door locks, etc.
    - did I leave my windows open, car unlocked?
    b) alter status of those items.
    - I did, no big deal, let me fix that now.
    c) carry on 2-way conversation with occupants of the car.
    - did I go to work and leave my kid in the back seat? I saw that a couple of times this summer.
    d) car automatically calls integrated phone when alarm goes off.
    - pick up and listen in to car thieves, etc.

That's just the start...

Enjoy,
    BigRob.
  • vwpohvwpoh Member Posts: 1
    For last few days, sometime I am unable to start the car even though the engine is cranking. I called MB Service Center. They said the fuel line might have problem. Has anyone encountered same problem ?
  • qaz2wsxqaz2wsx Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know how to disable the automatic adjustment stereo volume function on the Y2K E320. Can I do it myseft or I have to bring my car to the dealer? PLease advise and thanks.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    My wife's 1999 ML320 just experienced the same condition. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The MB 800-line was very helpful, given that we were out of town at the time. Local dealer made the repair.

Have not heard that fuel pumps are a problem.
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    When I came back from work today, I saw an E with AMG badge on Route 7 (northern VA). I thought, cool we don't see them around too often so I gave it a second look. Opposite side of the trunk corner reads E320. It is nothing but a regular E with AMG badge slapped to the trunk. I had to pass him (and his friend) and gave them a grin.

If the said driver is reading this, dude, at least remove 'E320', add AMG rims, tires, and some aero dynamic stuff to the car if you want to pretend something you don't have. It will be a true embarassing moment when a tricked out Honda smoke you at the lights.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    qaz2wsx:

Speed sensitive radio volume control has to be turned off by the dealer. However, they should do it free of charge, if not, explain to them it's a safety issue as you find it too distracting.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    mbman1 - You said you followed the Zaino instructions "to the Tee" but saw "cobwebs" when you pulled your black car into the sunlight. I submit that you did NOT follow the Zaino instructions. The cobwebs were most likely swirls caused by washing/drying with other than 100% cotton made-in-the-USA towels. Zaino recommends Z-5 to combat cobwebs or swirls, even several coats if necessary. But if the finish on your car required an abrasive polish to obtain the desired results, Zaino should not have been used FIRST.

I also submit that the use of Zaino now, after a blue Dawn wash to remove the wax or polish you applied recently, will provide superior results including the "wet look" finish that will actually deepen with each successive coat of Zaino. The added benefit will be superior, longer lasting protection for your paint.

As you might guess, I'm a convert who believes that Zaino car care products are the best available anywhere. But Zaino can do only so much. If you're satisfied with the product(s) you're using, so be it. But yours is the FIRST negative comment about Zaino I've seen anywhere in Edmunds.
  • qaz2wsxqaz2wsx Member Posts: 2
    W210,

Thanks for your suggestion. I took my car to our Benz dealer this morning and they did turn off the speed sensitive radio volume control function for free. Thanks.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    BMW and Audi drivers do the same weird thing. M and S badges. I don't get it. I'd rather remove badges so I don't have to clean around them :-)
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    qaz2wsx:

Glad you have it sorted out. Your dealer can program other interesting settings for you, such as controlling whether you like your headlights to stay on (for a few seconds) or off after removing the key, etc. I personally think it's a hassle having to tell bystanders that no, I have not left my headlights on.
  • shopeshope Member Posts: 1
    After wiring in a radar detector to the overhead console, my interior lights stay on all the time unless the door switches are deactivated using the overhead switch (then the lights don't come on at all). I don't suspect the door switch as this problem happened after I wired in the detector, plus the 'remove key' message still works.

Is there a timer or electronic module I likely fried? (Dealer was of no help; said I have to bring the car in).
This discussion has been closed.