Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Does anyone know if 4Matic will be an option with the 2003 E320 or will it only be available a year later?
    thanks
  • 96e32096e320 Member Posts: 5
    Drew,

I have a 96 E320 and have begun to notice the car hesitate during acceleration when the car is cold. It is fine once it has warmed up some, but seems to happen right after I back out of the garage, shift into drive and press the accelerator. The car losses power for a split second then takes off. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    My 02 E55 does the same. Also at the first stop sign a block and a half away.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Me Too !! I first noticed this happening last winter but in the warm weather it isn't a problem. I find sometimes when I put it in reverse to back out of garage, it almost stalls; runs at about 100 rpm.. I have to then put it in neutral and let it idle for about 10-15 seconds before it will back out without lugging down. But I also have noticed the slight hesitation when I first try to accelerate in drive. But it always is OK after I've gone a few hundred yards..
    I've got a 96 E320...
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Was there a problem w/any yr since '98 w/the awd and is there one yr when there was a major improvement in it's reliability/performance ?

Secondly, what can one expect to save on a 2002,
    if anything, below sticker ?
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I just read workinfromhome's post about a roof rattle. On my 2001 E-430, the moonroof shade rattles when it is left in the open position. Has this issue been resolved by anyone else?

Regarding needing laser guidance to use the remote unlocking system, the 2000 and newer model remote controls do not need to be aimed to unlock the doors or trunk.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..I was told that it is likely that MB will reinstate the $2k dealer incentives on 2002 E's within the next few months. Assuming that's the case, a deal as low as $2k below dealer invoice may be possible. That is what I could have picked up a 2001 Wagon for in June of this year (DC area). I heard of some deals even better than that on 2001 E430's out West.
  • aaron33aaron33 Member Posts: 5
    I have same issue. 97 e420 sport. warranty just expired so now I have to pay. I took to dealer three times while still under warranty but they couldn't find. They even said they test drove but excuse me , you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a frost heave/expansion joint in N.J. and hearing noise. I had a client in office that was an ex MB tech and we took a ride and he found in 1 mile- in the sunroof liner. So, now that we found it what is the fix?
    11/00 I bought with 16k on clock. trouble free for 1 yr and 10k except rattle in sunroof shade (see above post). Pirelli tires call for 50lbs, anyone else using less? Any suggestions?
    No wonder it rattles! 50psi is the MAXIMUM pressure the tire is rated to stand. Look on the driver's door jamb or the gas tank cover for the recommended pressure. Should be in the 30-40 psi range, depending on load and operating conditions.
  • steven36steven36 Member Posts: 13
    Just as my 4 yr. warranty was about to expire on my E320 with 31k miles, my reverse gear refused to function. The dealer had to replace the entire transmission. Anyone want to buy a '98 E-320 before I trade it in on a Lexus?
    Now we have three cars with sliding roof screens that rattle. Mine only rattles in the open position when going over a bump. I would appreciate knowing if there are any E's that do not have this problem, or if there have been any with problems corrected by the dealer.

I was wrong on my previous post regarding the window and sliding roof remote operation. According to the manual, the remote for these functions does work by infrared and must be aimed at the doorlocks. For my car, however, it is easy to do.

By the way, I love my E-Class and am quite willing to deal with these minor issues.
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    it (the sunshade) rattles when it's in the full back position. If I close the sunroof even 2 inches that seems to stop it.
  • mbnewbiembnewbie Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying an E320 for my wife. I am looking at 96, 97 or 98 if I can afford it. I am looking to spend 25K. Is there any years, options etc. I should avoid? I am not ver educated in the E class area. Any advise will be greatly appreaciated.
    Matt...
    I tried partially closing the sunroof, but even half-closed it rattles. I took it in last week and they said they didn't hear anything. I'll take it in again and be sure to go over some bumps with them.

I'll keep you Post-ed (NPI!!:)).
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The engines in the '98 are substantialy different from the engines in the '96 and '97. The '98 has the latest genration v6 as opposed to the previous inline six. The new engine gets better fuel mileage, is lighter and has lower emmissions. The fuel mileage with the '98's is rather remarkable for a car of that size. No real problems have surfaced with the later engines. The older engines reported had oil leakage problems that required head gasket replacement. The '97 has a 5 spd transmission whereas the '96 has a four speed. The general message about a given model of Mercedes is get the latest year that you can afford because they generally reflect the most development.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I also have it on my 2001 E320 4Matic. Like tendons, mine happens only when both shade and roof are fully open. If I close my roof an inch or so it seems to stop it.

Mine rattles if the wind catches it just right. Bumps probably do it too, though we don't have many of those on our pristine NH roads...I'd have go to Mass to try that out. :-)

If misery loves company, you'll be happy that I've also gotten the brush off "we couldn't reproduce it". Mine was the obvious climate control issue I posted a couple weeks back. Nice service.

Enjoy,
    BigRob.
  • martye320martye320 Member Posts: 45
    If you are in Southern CA, I have seen ads for a no down/no drive off deal for the 2001 E320/E430. Calabasas Motorcars is leasing out for:
    E320: 499 + tax/48 months
    E430: 599 + tax/48 months
    That is from what I understand, I do not know what options come with that deal...sounds like a basic model. Maybe you'll get the "premium Bose" stereo (haha)! Mercedes gears their car prices so that most of the time, it is better to just lease a new one, vs buy and old one.
    Maybe someone can confirm or has actually leased one? Any better deals out there?
    REFER TO LA TIMES
    Marty
    This is weird, but the headliner in mine only rattles when I move it all the way forward. When I open it (slide it all the way back) there is no rattle... So I leave it open all the time..

I'd like to find out if the cold engine/slight hesitation problem has a solution. Any one hear of a fix?
    I put the Yokohama db tires (225-55/16) on my E320 5 weeks ago. Drove from Mass. to Montana (Yellowstone) and back - 5200 miles in 12 days. Drove for almost two days in light rain and they were awesome on the wet roads.. These tires ignore the rain.. They are quieter than the Eagle LS tires they replaced, on most road surfaces. There is still some noise on the rough macadam surface, but smooth asphalt and concrete are definitely quieter. They do respond well to directional change and they do not squeal in cornering. Excellent tires in this size..
  • jvicars4jvicars4 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the Becker and an OEM (MB) changer for my 2000 e320. I would buy the Becker if I know it will work. Please let me know your experience with the installation of the cd changer on the e320 with either system.
    the MB Tech said there is some sort of noise insulation in the roof section that MB had issues with. Under a high heat environment the glue allowed the insulation to separate from its mount. With the sunroof open in the back (only!), meaning closed but tilted up, use a flashlight and look back into the headliner. Maybe you can see something out of place...
  • johnkc123johnkc123 Member Posts: 7
    The Becker CD changer is the same fiber-optic changer used in MB without the MB logo. I installed one in my MY 00E320 and it works fine.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    About six months ago I upgraded the wheels and tires on my 2000 E320. Bought 17 inch MB Type E wheels (OEM $360 each at dealer) and 235/45ZR-17 Yokohama AVS dB tires, all from Discount Tires Direct off the Internet.

I paid $160 each for the wheels and $144 each for the Yokos and couldn't be more pleased. There's a big difference in handling, steering, ride quality and tire noise. Better control, and the tires are extremely quiet, particularly on smooth surfaces. I keep 32 - 34 psi in all four tires. The wheels are beautiful 5-spoke design and a snap to keep clean. I applied about 6 coats of Zaino before they were mounted, and the brake dust almost comes clean with just a spray of water!

Every time I look at the car, I'm even more pleased with the looks of the new wheels and tires. Then, I drive it, and my decision to spend $1300+ to replace perfectly good wheels and tires seems fully justified!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    This morning during my run, I cut through the MBUSA parking lot and saw a few "Euro-Spec" cars they have over here for evaluation. Among them was an E240, which by looking closely at it, seemed to be a slightly de-contented E320. By that I mean such things as the seat coverings being cloth instead of leather, no moon roof and so on. Given the power of the new 2.4 V6, I suspect that performance would be more than adequate for those folks who might otherwise opt for the BMW 525i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Btwn '98 -'01 any particular yr that had problems
    w/the 4matic ? Also any yr that is the best ? Thanks
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    The motor, guides, etc., etc. of my '98s moonroof were recently replaced (fortunately, still under warranty.) The service advisor said that they'd replaced everything except the glass and the headliner.

I've had it back for about a week. It seems to work and hasn't leaked, but I was a bit concerned about the bellows gasket left on my dashboard.

Today I noticed that there's no pop-up wind deflector when the roof's open.

Is this something I should have, or am I confusing this with my former auto?
    I've owned my 2000 E320 since it was new in April of '00, and it's never been out of my sight unlocked except at my dealer's. In early September, imagine my surprise when my neighbor, who was comparing my car to his new BMW 530!, opened my trunk and spare compartment and found NO SPARE WHEEL OR TIRE! My wife thinks the car was delivered that way, but I'm virtually certain I saw the spare when the car was new.

In any case, my service advisor (best in the business!) really chuckled when I brought the car in the following day. He said it happens about once every two or three years. He quickly ordered a new wheel and spare tire, but MBUSA has been unable to fill the order. Finally, they yanked one from another 2000 E320 that had been totaled.

I'm even more impressed now with my dealer and its service department.
    've got a 96 E320 with 88,000 miles (Starmark just expired) and have a quote from Platinum Warranty for a 3yr/36K mile policy that covers most major components (Platinum Preferred) with a $50 deductible for $1349 .... Two yr/24K coverage is only $100 less.. So the 3/36 is the only real choice.

Opinions? Is this company reliable? Is this a good price ? Or should I just gamble that this car is reliable enough to not have to worry about huge repair bills?

Thanks...
  • rcsillarircsillari Member Posts: 2
    How much is the Becker CD changer and where can you buy one?
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I've posted this before, but it's still funny. The spare tire on the E55 is full size, but since the tires are unidirectional and since the rear tires are a different size from the front, the spare will only rightfully go on the left front. I'm sure it can be put on any of the others in an emergency, like when you have a flat tire, with the other option being to use the back seat or some of the trunk to carry three other spares.
    The '02 E55 has a spare which is full-size, but not the same as any of the roadwheels. On mine, it's actually a Continental non-directional. I don't mind, since the roadwheels can't be rotated anyway. The only restriction on the spare is a maximum of 15,000 miles usage.
  • johnkc123johnkc123 Member Posts: 7
    I live in the Wash DC metro area and purchased my Becker CD changer (Model #2662 $435.00) at Electronics Service Center located in Rockville MD. The telephone number is 301/881-8636.
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    I have read with interest the experience of several posters who upgraded their E's performance with new wheels and tires. Also, a couple of people have cited handling improvements after installing new shocks.
    Any opinions of which approach offers the most "bang for the buck"? Has anyone done both of these things?
  • sdjuminsdjumin Member Posts: 16
    I found my 1998 E320's left-side Xenon lamp was dead. When I turned it on, it lighted up dimly for about 2 seconds before it went dead totally. Have anyone experienced this before? Could I just buy the bulb and replace it, or will it be more involving? Thank you in advance for any of your advice and experience.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    I am interested in buying a set of Type E 17" wheels. I believe these are the same as the stock wheels for the E430. Other than paying top price from the MB dealer, does anyone know who else sells these wheels. Thanks for your help.
  • ab20ab20 Member Posts: 5
    I replaced my Michelin tires with high performance TOYO TS-1 and the handling improvements were very significant (I still have the OE 16" wheels with 235/50/16 tires). Like you, I have been wondering what my best next step might eventually be (17" wheels(I would like to avoid that), Eibach springs (about $300), or existing springs with new shocks) - I don't know!
  • gdtobmegdtobme Member Posts: 17
    on my 2000 E320, the shade rattles when it is fully closed. If it open it at least just about 2 inches, there's no rattle.
  • s8ints8int Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I were considering trading in our 97 E320 for a new 2001 or 2002. The only problem with the car is that Mercedes cannot fix the "defective light" error message every time on turn on the lights.

I see from reading messages here that there will be a styling change in 2003--which gives me pause. I didn't see a link here, so I went looking and here's a spy photo of the 2003 E320.

If anyone knows where I can see another one, please let me know.

http://www.autoextremist.com/archives/991123/page4.shtml

2003 E320

• sdjuminsdjumin Member Posts: 16
    s8int, I had "lamp defective" error message for a while and didn't know what was wrong, until I finally found that my third brake lamp was dead. It also could be one of the tail brake lamp was dead. I asked my friend to hit the brake pedal so that I could check on the brake lamps. I hope this is helpful. Currently, I have problem with my left-side Xenon lamp - it goes dead after being on for 2 seconds.
  • s8ints8int Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll check that. Last time I went into Mercedes the guy who checked my car in saw the problem, however when I went to pick up the car--with everyone gone, they had done everything else but said "unable to duplicate problem" on my report and left it once again unfixed.

The "funny" thing is--the lamp defective light comes on every single time I turn the light on--guess they didn't think to try that :)

sdjumin
  • recorbillrecorbill Member Posts: 7
    You mentioned you applied Zaino? to your new wheels. I just bought a new E-320 wagon and would like to get more information on this product, can you help, including where you bought it?
  • recorbillrecorbill Member Posts: 7
    Anyone out there put any DVD or video equipment in a sedan or wagon. Advise on how to start. Would like to install drop down screen and DVD player in a wagon, with cordless headphones.
  • hlsjrhlsjr Member Posts: 4
    recorbil--I have a 1 yer old 2001 320 wagon that I just finished giving the exterior the zaino treatment. It looks fantastic, time consuming to do it right, but does not require much effort and the results are worth the time. Zaino can only be purchased direct via mail order---they have a website. It is worth buyinng the package of stuff and following the directions.
    You made a post about purchasing Type E 17" wheels at tire dicount direct. I have looked at their site and can't find that model. The E type is the same as the oem wheel for the E430 with a 5 hole design. Is this what you have?
    recorbill - Zaino's web site is www.zainobros.com and it's mail order only. But suggest you call Sal Zaino or send him an email about the availability of a local distributor in your area. I'm in a D.C. suburb, and my local guy is great. He even delivers! BTW, the web site has details on how to use each product. Recommend the Z-1, Z-2, Z-6 and Z-7 to start (you'll understand the different "Z's" when you go to the web site).

2ndmb - Sorry about the Style E wheels and www.discounttiredirect.com - I checked the site and didn't see the wheels listed any longer. They are NOT the same as the 17" wheels on the E430, but much nicer (IMHO). I got the wheels catalog "The Collection" from my local dealer months ago, and the Style E wheels are shown there with an illustration. I also saw the wheel with a Michelin tire mounted in the service advisor lanes at American Service Center Mercedes-Benz in Arlington, VA. The wheels list for $368.00 each, but I paid only $160.00 each. Your dealer may have them in stock.

You may want to go to www.tirerack.com and consider the 17" AMG 5-Spoke 203 for $320 each or the Borbet Type E for $169 each. Also, discount tire direct has a 17" AMG Replica Style wheel for $157. But I do like with my MB OEM Style E wheels!

Hope this helps, and good luck. Let us know what you do.
    Thanks for quick response. I have the 17" AMG Monoblocks with Dunlop SP5000's but they are 8" width and hang out a little too much for my liking. I did find a place called shox.com that carries the Bilstein HD shocks for the E320 @ $369 for all 4. This is the best deal I have seen yet and many people on this forum love the results. I think I'll take the plunge on the shocks pretty soon. I will look around the house for that wheel catalog, I had one several months ago. Thanks for the info.
    Best Regards
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    I had the same problem with my 01 E320. After two trips to the dealer (and make sure the warning light is "on" when you bring the car in), they found out that both the license plate light and one of the turn signal lights were bad. When I took the car in, I made sure all the lights were working properly. I was told that these two light bulbs were turning "black", causing intermittent contact and the computer picked it up as "defective lamps".
    Does anyone know if the Bilstein HD shocks models; front B36-2154 and rear B36-2155 that are replacements for the 98 and 99 model also fit the 2000 E320. Thanks for your help
  • boladojboladoj Member Posts: 8
    I am also interested in installing a DVD player in my 01 wagon. It appears the best place is a retractable screen which takes place of the eyeglass holder. The only problem is that the gear shift knob might get in the way. I would love to hear/see your install when you get it in. I would like to keep my stock radio in place (even though it is terrible) because I like the abillity to control it on the steering wheel.

Have you thought of Klasse treatment of your car? I use Klasse All-in-one and Sealant Glaze for my white wagon and I am very impressed with it. As much gloss and depth as a white car can get. My car is an outdoor car in So. California so it gets a lot of exposure. I waxed/polished it at the begining of summer and it still beads like crazy. After I wash I quick detail it and it still feels like butter. I heard Zaino has its followers but Klasse does as well.
This discussion has been closed.