Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I've also heard good reports about Klasse, but I've also heard it's expensive. But if it works for you, that's all that counts. As for me, I've used Zaino on my 2000 E320 since it was new and couldn't be more pleased. Both products are polymers, so the results should be similar (I think).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Expensive?!? Compared to Turtle Wax, yes it is expensive, however, last summer I purchased a 1 Liter bottle (good for at least a couple of years) of the "Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Car Polish & Sealant" for $34.95 plus $7.95 for shipping from www.classic-accessories.com.

I bought this stuff based upon a recommendation from folks who "Show" their cars, and I can say I am very impressed with how easy it is to apply and how good it looks.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Someone out there must have an idea what was a not a good yr for the e320 4 matic drive system, or when a major improvement/change was made (btwn '98-'01)
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I am driving a 99 E320 4matic since September 98 with no problems. Model years 98-02 use the same 4matic system. I have not heard any complain about the 4WD system yet. If you find any please share it.
    Jean
  • s8ints8int Member Posts: 3
    Jason64,

Thanks for the advice. I bet we've complained about that light on at least 5 or 6 previous visits for service. It would be a good idea if the message provided a code or something indicating which light is out.
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks f/the response. If I track down anything further, I'll certainly post it.
    Frank
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    I have a E320 4matic. I noticed that inside the door its suggests tire pressure of 34# in the rear and 28# in the front. This seems weird to me. Is it something to do with AWD? Are people going by the suggestion or putting 34# all around? I would think that equal pressure all around would be better.
  • ab20ab20 Member Posts: 5
    Frank09

Try http://www.mercedesshop.com for this sort of technical question. Good luck.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Some time ago I saw some links on this board to some very good images of the 2003 E. I can't find them now. I think one was by "mbspy"??? . If anyones knows links to images of the 2003 E please repost. Thanks.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    varig, try this link: http://mbspy.bacosys.be/index2.html
    Thanks very much. This is exactly the website I'd visited earlier. I'm going to have to replace the "family" car soon so I wanted to take a look at the 2003 E again. I was " this close to buying a 2001 E320 4Matic a few months ago but the dealer was not giving the same "deal" that I had read others were getting. I want to get 4Matic. Anyone know if the 2003 will have 4Matic when it debuts or do I have to wait a few YEARS (ugh!)

I recently bought an Audi as " my " car. It is too small for the family though. If I go with an A6, I am approaching E territory ...and there is something about that 3 pointed star on the hood :-)
    If you can believe this, a friend of mine was all set to buy a new E320. He'd also looked at the BMW 530i, but preferred the MB. But he then took out an E320 demo and sat in the seat for about an hour. He said it was the most uncomfortable car seat he'd ever experienced. He's about 6'1" tall and 200 lbs., well in the "average" range in size.

I told him that perhaps 5% of MB owners or lookers find the seats too hard or just plain uncomfortable, but most change their minds after driving a Mercedes on a road trip for several hours. Most say they arrive less tired and even more refreshed. I also told him to check out the multi-contour option for $740.00, but he's completely turned off by the seats.

Imagine, I've been driving my 2000 E320 for more then 18 months and haven't realized just how lousy the seats are! Go figure!

BTW, I just had a strange experience. After a short trip and brief stop, I restarted the engine and found that the horn didn't work, nor did the steering wheel tilt. At a traffic signal, I switched off the ignition momentarily and restarted. Everything is now working fine. Anyone have any similar experience?
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Nothing to worry about. My '00E430 does something weird every few months and I have to turn the car off for about 1 minute and then re-start. Just the usual M-B electronic glitch.
    This usually happens with my voice-activated hands free phone every few months.

This is the main reason I will not buy a '03 E430.
    I will wait until '04-'05 to trade.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I've found my dream Mercedes. The 1994 E500. This particular one is Black Pearl over Grey. It has but 37K miles and is being offered for $41K. The help part comes in because I truly need a "new" car for the driving that I do, but this particular car has never left my mind from time it was "new". Anyone with any in-depth knowledge/experience with the 500E/E500 models please come forward. Spending 41K would make more sense on a C320 or a late model (W210) E-Class instead for a 1994 W124 model.

M
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I recently saw (actually, was passed by) a late model (2000-2002) E class with a V-12 badge on the upper left side of the trunk lid, where the normal "320" or "430" would be. I never heard of such a thing. Anyone have any insights?
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I think they invested in a $5 set of letters & numbers. The only late-model 12 I'm aware of is the S600.
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I had a 93 500e and sold it to a friend at 110000 miles, a year ago. he has since put on 20k without any significant difficulties.
    The car was wonderful; I got a bmw740isport 01, which handled nicely, but didn't shift as nicely nor did it feel as comfortable. I traded into a E55 01, which is somewhat more like the old 500e, but still doesn't quite have the same heft and hunkered down feel as the 500. It was, at this moment, the best car I've had,really more enjoyable than the porsche 996, which I never wanted to take on long rides.
    The price seems a bit high, something in the mid-thirties would be more reasonable perhaps, but again, talking about impulse buying and the utter necessity of having THAT car, another five or so may not matter.
    There is a vast difference between the feel of the 500 and the newer models and I'd do the 500. It's faster, more responsive , more comfortable and unfortunately, older. I gather this will be out of your consideration, but the new Nissan maxima seems really good and I think a better buy than the 320's.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    On the Bilstein HD shocks, the part numbers for pre-2000 and the 2000 are the same (though Bilstein did not list these for the 2000 until recently). So I assume the sport shocks are also applicable across the years. If you have the opportunity, try a car with the HD shock. Unless you want an extremely tight car, I think the HD might give as much control as you'd want in a car like this, and without the ride deterioration of the sport shock.

On the wheel/tire vs. shock question, I think it depends what you want. I found the original Michelin MXV-4's just terrible (little adhesion, poor steering response, and poor tracking) and I replaced the tires for that reason. The larger wheels allow more contact patch (with a 45 series tire), and I think this a worthwhile upgrade.

The HD shocks provide a much tighter, more stable, responsive car, much like MB's in "the old days." If I were only going to make one change, I think it would be the shocks. But then this transformed car really deserves more adhesion.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Have you driven the new maxima? As a former 500E owner your impressions would be welcomed, particularly in the area of that hunkered down feeling.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the shock update on model numbers. I found a place online called shox.com that had the set for $376. I'll give this a try, it sounds like the combination I'm looking for. Thanks again!
    I am embarrassed to admit that I havn't driven the 2002 model maxima, but I did drive the 2001 and found it more enjoyable than a 320 that was loaner. The new altmia gets really nice reviews also, but I havn't driven that.
  • midwestmbmidwestmb Member Posts: 7
    all the 500E/E500 crowd hangs out on the forums at

http://www.mercedesshop.com. check it out, and good luck on the car.

btw, my dealer just gave me about the price you mentioned, for a near mint 2000 E430 4Matic w/15k miles on it, when I traded it on my '01 S. the 500E's sure hold their value - that tells you something.

Thanks. That's what everybody says that has ever driven the 500E. They all use that same "hunkered down" or "right flat in the middle of the road" type phrases. It was such a unique Mercedes, even more so than Mercedes' already are. What was the worse thing that ever happened to your car as far as repairs.

midwestmb,

Thank you also.

mbnut1,

Didn't you go through this same delima a while ago, or was that someone else?

Thank you all......

M
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Yes it was me. I too am attracted to the hunkered down feeling like a moth to the flame. I still follow the 500E ads and am monitoring your progress on this purchase. I think $41k is too much though even for a low mileage '94. There was a low mileage '92 which sold for the low 30's on ebay.
    I go back and forth like a seesaw. As you also probably remember I currently drive an A4 1.8T quattro which is nearly perfect for my driving needs. I have a short commute which is mixed windy road and highway with an occasional 300 mile jaunt back home on the holidays. The only thing the car is lacking is the refinement of my old 190e's inline six and a bigger back seat. The engineer in me sees the 500E as a major overkill combined my past driving record which nearly netted me a suspended liscence. But the car enthusiest side sees the 500E as the greatest car ever built. This leads me to try to find a 500E cheap enough that I can buy it strictly as a hobby car. Make mine smoked silver over parchment.

The reference to Mercedeshop above is a good one. Big time 500E owners there.
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    Am I the only one who can't view member profiles anymore? When I try, it tells me to "log in", which is strange because you have to log in to post.
    Am I missing something here? I sent an email to Edmunds help, but never heard back from them...
    BTW, Waldo thanks for the info on the shocks.
    up to the sale of the car at 103k miles I had replaced a water pump and powersteering pump. The man who bought it now has 113k and has replaced a harness(I don't know what that is, nor did he)for 1800 dollars, a starter for 800 and an ignition switch for 200. The level in the power steering fluid needs replacing in two ounce increments every three months and the check engine light come on and off sporadically. He still loves the car and has taken long trips without difficulties.
    Yep, yep I remember. I need a new car so I probably will have to put this fantasy to rest again. Looking at all the coments on pictures at Mercedesshop.com has made it worse. To get a new car and a 500E as a hobby car would be quite an undertaking for me at this point. I'll keep you posted. Talk about an internal struggle...I know what I "need" to do (i.e a new car), but I keep thinking about what I want to do (E500).

M
  • bbermudabbermuda Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have details about the 2003 E Class redesign? Pictures?
    Estimated availability?

Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That situation will happen if you do not have auto-login turned on. You have to go back to the Welcome page and log in again to fix it.

When you log in, you get logged in transparently to two places - the Edmunds Town Hall server and the Web Crossing Town Hall server (where the database resides). You have to be logged in to the Edmunds server to view profiles, but only to Web Crossing to post.

When your session with Edmunds expires, you will see that message when clicking on a profile. But you are still able to post because your session with Web Crossing remains active.The Web Crossing session expires on a different time table than the Edmunds server.

Yeah, I know, makes no sense. :-)

You can either turn autologin on to avoid the problem, or just realize that when you see that message you need to follow the Town Hall link back to the Welcome page and re-log in if you want to view a profile.

I hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fishxprtfishxprt Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2002 320E automatic that sometimes does not go from 3 to 2 when manually downshifting. (The rev are not too high when I have the problem) Has anyone had this happen? Is there a "right" way to downshift, eg fast or slow, etc?
    I also have a 2000 E320 and use the downshift feature regularly. Occasionally I've experienced a slight delay when downshifting from 3 to 2, but nothing major. Perhaps it's the sensors determining if the engine speed is too high before "authorizing" the downshift. But I've never experienced a situation where I downshifted from 3rd and it did not "take." BTW, I sort of "slap" or move the gearshift knob to the left with gusto when downshifting, and I've learned to count how many time I move it, to avoid a sudden lurch when I inadvertently go all the way down to 1st gear.

Hope this helps.
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the information. It's interesting that apparently if you don't use autologin, you must re-login EACH TIME you want to view a profile.
    Anyway, at least now I know what's going on.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Has anyone tried the K&N air filter on their E. If so, could you determine if the performance or gas mileage improved.
    Thanks
    I was given a great website to visit.
    www.mbspy.bacosys.be
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    If you read through previous posts you will find that the K&N filters are not recommended due to the larger particles that pass through as compared to the MB filters.
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    I have seen several discussions on handling upgrades. My MY 2000 E320 has the MXV4s. The ride is smooth and quiet, acceptable in rain, and poor in snow. Because the car is leased, I have not made any modifications to the car.

My biggest disappointment in the handling was the effects of strong cross winds at highway speeds. I find that I have solved most of the problem by experimenting with tire pressures. I have found the best compromise in ride and handling with 32psi in the front and 34psi for the rear.
  • fishxprtfishxprt Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if the seats will be changed on the new 2003 E class?

I think most of us agree that the current seats are OK at best.

The best seat I have I have tried in a new car is the Volvo S-80. I have a 2001 E320 and I love the car but I have had better seats in past Mercedes. Any thoughts?
    fishxprt - A friend of mine recently intended to buy a 2002 E320. He's about 6' 3" or 6" 4" tall and 215 lbs., and he spent almost an hour in the driver's seat trying to get comfortable. That was the day he returned to the dealer and intended to complete the purchase. But he really disliked the seats -- so much that the following day he bought a BMW 530i. He's perfectly happy now.

I love my E320 and have no complaints about the seats. But I'm 5' 10" and 175 lbs. My wife is 5' 3' and 110 lbs., and she, too, likes the seats. Maybe it's a function of size and weight. I know that people report that MB seats are harder than most, but owners also say they arrive refreshed after long drives in a Mercedes.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I'm a tad heavier than mbdriver but I have no issues whatsoever with the comfort of my seats. Other than no lumbar control they are, essentially, infinitely adjustable. They aren't exactly like a pillow-top cushion but they aren't too firm for me either. Part of the secret may be finding the correct seat angle, seat back, head rest position, etc parameters for you.

The active ventilated seats were great this summer. Now that winter is closing in the heated leather is awesome as well.

Enjoy,
    BigRob.
  • steven36steven36 Member Posts: 13
    It seems the seats are fine for small folks. My wife and I are both 5'5". We have a '98 and an '01 E320. The seats on the 01 are higher and more comfortable than on the '98.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    When I bought my 96E (2 years old) I also complained to the salesman about the seats and the lack of good lumbar support. He stated that his experience was that most owners thought the seats were comfortable on long trips. I'm not small (6'3" and 250) but I have to admit that although I would prefer to be able to increase the lumbar support a little, the seats are actually very comfortable for me. And I've taken a couple of long trips (2500, 3500, and 5300 miles) in it and find that I'm not tired at the end of a 550 mile day.

The most supportive and comfortable seats I've come across were in a 1988 MX-6 Mazda I owned that were not power but had 8 different adjustments. Took a 3000 mile trip in 7 days with stretches of 4 hours at a time without a break and never felt the least bit tired. Those seats were relatively firm also like in the E. My wife says they were HARD..! I've also owned cars with soft seats and found them to be tiring and to create aches..
    I have a '00E430 and I just realized my battery is under the rear seat. How long is the battery life? Should I replace my battery after so many years just in case? After all, getting a boost does not seem very easy on this car. Also, where exactly is the battery located and how do I access it? Thanks.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    The owner's manual shows how to get to the battery. Also, on the '02s there are terminals under the hood for jump starting your car or another car. I assume the '00 would be the same.
    valueguy - I have a 2000 E320 and discovered the same. But the owner's manual says there are + and - "posts" under the hood for jump starts, so there's no need to access the battery. The positive post is clearly marked, and all you need for the negative is another metal surface (I think).

However, a mechanic friend advised not to fool with trying a jump start another carb because of all the computer systems associated with the 2000 MB and the possibility of inadvertently "frying" them. If you ever need a jump, the smart thing is to call Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance, available for zip for the life of any MB automobile.

One last point -- your warranty is good for four years/50,000 miles, and I'd be surprised if the battery isn't included. Don't replace a battery based on timing. Personally, I don't plan on ever looking at my own battery.

Hope this helps.
    I read the owner's manual and appreciate MB driver's input. Does anyone have any personal experience with a dead battery on their M-B?
    How long can I expect the battery to last?
    In my opinion, a "scheduled" battery change at 4 years is a lot better than an unplanned, emergent one especially in this car.
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    My 2000 E430W4 has the dedicated battery "plus" lug under the hood, and also has a dedicated "minus" lug on the top of the left fender just in front of the air seal between the front and rear of the engine compartment. I suspect the design of M-B's have had this for a long time on any car with the battery not in the engine compartment. My old '79 Audi 5000 had the battery in the same place. It looks like a teutonic idea!

I'm surprised that more of you haven't read the owners manual on this subject. Nighttime, under the hood, in a blizzard, seems sort of a bad learning environment.

BTW, my car, at least, has one honkin' big battery back there. I've never seen one this big at Sears or the Pep Boys. I'm not even sure one technician could pick it up!

Translated: Any preemptive replacement of the battery before it's really used up is going to cost more than the $69.95 you'd pay Sears to replace the battery in your Kia.

To the issue of battery life - - remember that the battery is there to start the car, intermittently provide an additional source of power (for such things as window defoggers and heated seats) when the engine is idling, and as an electrical "voltage-variation absorber" for impulses or other glitches in the electrical system. When the engine gets over idle, the alternator is what supplies the power. So, battery life is somewhat dependent on what kind of driving you do - long road episodes at highway speeds that keep the battery charged, or 2 mile errands with the bun warmers on because the heater hasn't come up to speed yet. Battery life, like your mileage, will vary.

In terms of access, I'd check your owners manual and would suggest taking a look FYI since there are fuses under there, too. There are several locations for fuses in the car, and it makes sense to know where they all are in case you're in too much of a hurry to wait for M-B roadside service.

I'd not be worried about jump-starting the car as long as you don't inadvertently reverse polarity between the jump-ee and the jump-or.
  • rolandsrolands Member Posts: 14
    I had to replace my battery on my 97 E320 with 47K miles, just last month. Could not find one anywhere like Pep Boys or K-Mart. Dealership changed out for rediculous price of $180.00. According to the dealer it included a diagnostics check on the electrical wiring/components and the computer, and the resetting of something or another. Like I said earlier in these postings, "If you cannot afford the maintenance costs, Do not get a Mercedes".
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Normal battery would last 5 years... I just replaced mine (1996 E-320), bought it at an Interstate battery distributor, best battery, it took 15 minutes to put in. No sweat.
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Anybody knows what type that they use at the dealer? Can you find after-market coolant for MB? Thanks
    When changing out a battery, it's probably prudent to check the electrical and charging system, particularly if the battery went dead before its warranty period expired. I recently had to get a new battery for my wife's '77 MB 300D. Went to my local independent foreign car service center (owner was a master MB technician and later the service manager at a local MB dealer).

They found that they had to replace the alternator, which was barely charging the battery. They were amazed to find that the original alternator was on the car (96,0000+ miles). Had I merely replaced the battery, it would soon have been discharged because of the bad alternator.
This discussion has been closed.