Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    How much did your battery cost? I appreciate all the posts about our M-B battery.
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    valueguy... My new battery is Interstate MPT3 or MTP3, $80.97, 6-yr warranty, but I probably replace it after 5 years for a peace if mind. You can find it at your local Interstate distributor. It's very easy to replace. The only thing that I have to do is to re-code my radio. My friend who owns a garage told me that Interstate is the best. He does all the maintenance works for my MB at 1/2 the cost of MB dealer... Good luck
  • alirobalirob Member Posts: 17
    The check engine light just came on and won't go out on my 2000 E320. There is no noticable difference in drivability; the gas cap is on tight. The teleaid guy said that it is not a problem but to get it looked at if it persists. Has anyone had a similar problem?
    alirob
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    First, it takes me 3 months and multiple calls to get Teleaid working. I used it once. Then I get a letter saying I will be automatically charged $20/month starting with the 1 year purchase anniversary.

I hang on the phone for awhile to cancel it, finally give up and leave a message.

Now everytime I start the car I get a little commercial message to look at Tele Aid, and when I shut down I get a "malfunction" message because I don't subscribe to Tele Aid.

I think this is a fine service for those who want it, but it sure seems like a heavy handed approach trying to jam it down my throat, and I kind of resent it.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    My first year "free" ran out a few months ago and they billed me $240. I called them to say no thanks and they came back with $190 for 15 months. I offered $120, figuring it's probably worth $10 a month and they said no, so I cancelled. Keep a cell phone in car and save the money. I'll bet On Star in a new Chevy isn't $240 a year. This is every manufactures dream, downstream revenue.....
    Based on several recommendations on this board, I ordered the Bilstein HD shocks to improve the ride and handling on my E320. I'll let everyone know how they perform after installation from a local reputable MB service shop in Ramsay, NJ.
  • rokinkeadrokinkead Member Posts: 18
    Replacing the battery is not that difficult. Like most other cars, you have to reset the radio code. But in addition, remember what the manual says about disconnecting the power source? It says that you will have to recalibrate the windows, ESP/ABS, sunroof, seat positions, mirror positions, headrest movement... others. Note that the procedure for recalibrating each of these systems is contained somewhere in the manual.

Also note: There is a kill fuse in the battery compartment (under the seat). We should all learn how to pull this fuse because in certain electronic malfunctions (and they can happen with these cars), it is only way to shut down the car.
    Rokinkead... thanks for the info, I did not do anything else beside recoding my radio and everything is OK... is it because it's 1996 model and less complicated than newer models?
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    Responding to rokinkead re: kill fuses.

Don't know which year/options you have, but there is no reference anywhere (owners-manual or fuse designator cards) to a kill fuse in 2000 E-Class manuals. And, I suspect that any car that required pulling a fuse (particularly under a seat) to shut down the car would attract the attention of the NHTSB as a safety concern.

For those who haven't studied the manual or the "nooks and crannies" of their cars, there are three locations for fuses: under the hood on the left side, under the seat near the battery, and behind a trap-door next to the headlight switch, accessible with the drivers door opened. There are reference cards (which fuse does what, what size is specified) in each compartment, and even some spare fuses. The legends (translated from German, of course - and there's German on the back sides of these cards) are generally intelligible, with some whimsy mixed in, e.g. "Fanfare"?! - the horn, perhaps. Or, "E-Call" which might be the Tele-aid system. For those who haven't explored under the back seat - getting it out is not obvious. Under each front corner there is a little plastic lift lever that releases a clamp that holds the seat in place. Other car brands frequently do not have this release. I'd suggest practicing this, finding the fuses, and finding the jumper-cable lugs under the hood so you know where they are if you ever need to access them.

rokinkead, Did I miss the kill fuse somewhere?
  • gdtobmegdtobme Member Posts: 17
    I think Tele-Aid is a rip-off. What do you get for 1 year's subscription? Someone to tell you that the knob on the left of the steering wheel (on my 2000 E320) is the switch for the headlights. Duhhhhh, if you need help on that after having the car for 2 weeks, I think you need more help than Tele-Aid.

If enough people don't renew their Tele-Aid subscriptions, do you think MB will get the hint that it's a good for nothing expensive feature?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    One virtue of the system is that it phones home automatically in the event of an accident (may be if the air bags deploy). That is an excellent feature however I feel it is the only positive that the system really offers.

I've never used tele-aid (I have the integrated phone) and will not renew.

Since all E's have a basic analog cell phone system there are much cooler things that could be done with it than Tele-Aid. You could truely integrate the car w/their (vastly overpriced) Timeport phone and allow users to monitor the interior, check/set windows, locks, headlights, alarms, etc. It would just be a little bit of software. I'd love to walk down the hall to my buddy who owns the X5, flip open my color Timeport, and show him my windows are up, close the sunroof, etc.

Enjoy and have a great weekend folks,
    BigRob.
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Agree with 2ndMB, recently cancel Tel Aid, wonderful feature for $10.00 per month, but that is all I would pay for it. $240.00 a year with no minutes included is a rip off.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Does anybody have any preference on what make of Gas to use in 2001 E430, currently I use Chevron gas in the car but some one was telling me that Techron in Chevron gas can harm some sensors and other items in the Mercedes newer cars. Does anybody know if this is true?

What make of Gas you guys prefer?

Thanks for the input.
    The ongoing debate about what weight oil to use. I recently had it changed at my local Mobil quick change and had them put in 10w30 Mobil 1. I live in the NE so winter is around the corner. I've heard that the MB dealers are using 0w40, any comments?
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    I agree that it is overpriced -- and in an obnoxious way, at that! (charging for minutes in addition to the subscription). And, I have already found my lightswitch.

I've used Tele-Aid twice. The first time was 2 days after I had the car and the windows got out of sync during a rainstorm. They helped me when riffling through the owners manual was not practical. The second is when the car would immediately stop after I started it. Turned out the red window on the key was dirty, which confused the car into thinking there was a security violation. Wiping off the red window (at the suggestion of the Tele-Aid agent) immediately fixed the problem.

I renewed Tele-Aid, really for just one reason. I get the "LoJack" discount on my comprehensive insurance because of the Tele-Aid stealth recovery feature. They can find your car if it is swiped, or, (if your paranoid)if you let your teenagers, your spouse, or an employee use your car and wish to know whether they are going where they say, you can get the car located for you. As far as the concierge services, they can put that where the sun doesn't shine: I'll find my own restaurants, thanks!

The insurance discount doesn't offset the Tele-Aid cost by a wide margin, but I've had four cars stolen, am tired of it, and want the (expletive-deleted)'s caught, not just the recovery of the car

If MB dicker on price if you threaten to drop the service, I know what I'm going to do when my renewal comes up. As the old story says, "we've established what I am - - now we're haggling over the price!"
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    At 5000 miles I changed the oil myself on my 2001 E-430. The dealer told me they use Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 0W-30. I bought it at Pep Boys. I bought the oil filter and special oil filter wrench at the MB dealer. BTW, it takes 8.5 qt. of oil!

Instructions for changing the oil can be found at:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm

Reading about fuses and other parts under the hood, the one thing I haven't found is a hood light. Does anyone have one?

• martye320martye320 Member Posts: 45
    at the dealership in Calbasas about the $499/month no down for '01 E320. Anyone know of a similar deal in Southern Cali?
    I am told by a local Master MB Mechanic who runs his own shop that the E-320 has a timing chain, not belt, and it should last over 200,000 miles before a new chain is required. Anybody has any comments on this based on past experience? Thanks
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    my old s class had a 7 year old battery, still worked great. One day I started it up and it "arched", and basically exploded. I saw a vapor rise out of engine (thought it was smoke! remember I was freaking out also)so it was a priority to get it out of my garage as not to take the whole house with it if it was to burn.
    I had 2 young children at home at the time. I was lucky i n that I did not get acid in my face as I like to reach in and start the car for a minute before getting in. Nobody was around and got sprayed either. The fine seals of the compartment kept it mostly contained. The explosion was very loud, and I don't think I could handle it if it happened in my back seat, and now my kids are older, they ride with me in the morning to school. In the back seat.
    That was one big mutha battery also. It was original equip. At 5 years the one in my E will be replaced regardless.
    I took a box of baking soda and sprinkled it in the engine area to reduce the amount of acid. Had the car loaded on a flat bed and had electronics checked and new interstate battery installed. I was shaken but not stirred!
  • jneejnee Member Posts: 21
    I was reading your post and was wondering who is your insurance company? Although I have Tele-Aid, I was not able to receive a discount on my insurance. I've faxed them the contract and description of Tele-Aid. They will discount for LoJack but won't discount for Tele-Aid. BTW, I Statefarm is my insurance company. Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago, I had just driven several hundred miles and stopped off to buy a bottle of wine to give the hosts of the party I was headed to. I got back in the car after 10 minutes or so and turned the key, BOOM. What a mess!

I think that if a battery goes 5 years, time for a new one, regardless of how well it works.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Mr. livetodrive gave good info on changing oil

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm. I normally have my oil changed at a local shop (serve only MB, BMW, AUdi...) for $25. However I would like to DIY because I like to know more about the engine of my MB E320 '96. I stopped by Pepboy yesterday and it carries Purelator oil filter for '96 but I found that it has only 2 ring, one large O-ring (probably for a canister) and a small (3/4" in diameter)gasket-like ring. I am not sure where this small ring fit. I am sure if I open the canister I will find out, but I don't like surprises. Anybody has a good instruction on how and where this one fit for E320 '96. Thanks
    After a lengthy search, I have found a source for Mobil 1 0W-40 here in the United States. I am sorry to report that I cannot give you folks a direct URL, however, I can give you ordering instructions:

Go to Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com

From there, execute a search for "Mobil 1 Oil", currently the 6th entry is for "Park Place Motorcars" (I think that they are a Dallas area MB dealer), and they sell Mobil 1 0W-40 for $5.85 per quart plus a flat $3.50 shipping fee (per order not per quart). Not exactly cheap, but when you are the only game in town, you get to name your price.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    Cduong - I also have a '96 E320 and use Purolator filters.

Aside from the filter element itself, the box the filter came in should contain:

a) A larger O-ring. This O-rings fits into a groove in the canister cap, just above the threads.

b) A crush-type gasket for the drain plug. As the name says, it goes on the drain plug and is usually made out of a softer kind of metal.

The article that you referenced in your post describes a different engine. The 140.995 I6 has a metal pipe that the filter element slips over, not a plastic post with O-rings as described in the article.
    Or in other words, your oil change should be even easier. However, if you have the plastic canister cap, make sure to get the right socket. (14 pt, 74.4 mm)

Good luck !
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    So when you bring the car in, does the dealer put the car on the lift and then drain th oil out from underneath or do they use this vacuum pump to siphon it out? I have a 2000 E320 and I do DIY oil change midway between the FSS schedule service by dealer therefore it gets change about every 5k. However, I drive car on ramp and remove bottom engine cover and drain out oil. I just think this will remove more than the siphon vacuum.

Vinh
    haspelbein... Thanks for the info, it's clear... I hear so much about syn.oil such as Mobil1 ... Is it worth it?(I change oil every 5000 miles using regular oil). I hear so much about potential gasket leak with syn.oil, so it's a concern...
    Thanks again
    Maybe I missed something specific to your car, however, the old "Synthetic Oil causes gaskets to leak" is nothing but urban legend. Mercedes-Benz designs their engines with synthetic oil in mind, even to the extent of using Mobil 1 0W-40 as the factory fill when your car was built.

As for a 5000 mile oil change, I have long been an advocate of using Synthetic Oil and extending oil change intervals to the factory recommendation. Many folks get positively apoplectic (sort of like a religious thing) when they hear such advice, however, oil technology has changed dramatically over the last twenty years and yet many folks still stick to the oil change interval that was required for cars back in the 1960’s. Consider the following points:

All recent Mercedes-Benz cars are certified as either Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) or Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV). What that means (among other things) is that your engine is producing far fewer combustion by-products than that of engines of just a few years ago, and by extension, that means that there is far less of that gunk (a technical term that) to keep in suspension in the oil. Result: the ability to extend oil change intervals.

Synthetic oil has FAR greater capacity to keep the various contaminates (particulate and chemical) in suspension than standard Dino Juice. Result: the ability to extend oil change intervals.

The Mercedes-Benz engineers (and other European manufacturers as well) have seen fit to enlarge the oil sump on their engines when compared to American or Japanese engines of similar displacement. That extra capacity for oil not only allows for even more ability to hold gunk in suspension, it also means that any given unit of oil circulates through the engine less per 1,000 miles driven than many other cars. Result: the ability to extend oil change intervals.

My last argument; discarding used oil is not the most environmentally friendly thing one can do, so extending oil changes is good for the environment.

Long story short; my recommendation to folks who drive cars which are designed to take advantage of the properties of Synthetic Oil (MB, Audi, Porsche, BMW…) is to do just that, take advantage of the longer oil change interval provided for by the manufacturer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    mbbenz - The dealer actually drains the oil from underneath. It's a very easy thing to do once the cars is raised on a lift.
    The vacuum pump actually works very well, it's almost as efficient as a drain, and it should be sufficient for the oil changes between service intervals. (You can find 'self service oil change stations' at gas stations in Germany, operating with a siphon.)

The reason I don't siphon is because I like to inspect the underside of my car during oil changes.

cduong - The discussion about synthetic oil is one of the most active ones and people have fairly strong opinions about it. (see the maintenance and repair board) Again, this is a German vehicle. The environmental fees for disposing used oil are rather high in that country, and so are labor costs. It is almost impossible to get anything but synthetic oil in Germany, as almost every vehicle on the road uses the extended oil change intervals. Given that the engine was likely built with synthetic oil in mind, I use Mobil 1 for my E320. I have not experienced any leaky gaskets. For newer engines, Mercedes Benz actually recommends synthetic oils only.

I do not extend my drain intervals, but that is mostly because the car is being driven relatively little, so that I change on a time rather than a mileage basis.
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    hey, i know the e-class will change its look for 2003, but does anyone know where i can see it?
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    hey all, i called 1-800 for mercedes and the guy showed me a we site and it shows a lot if pics of the 2003 e-class, it looks really good, but i don't like the back so much, it kinda looks like the c and s. he also said the new mib movie was already filmed and they used the 2003 e-class in it, and it was pretty cool,it had a ny license plate. iu think the pics were pretty cool, it also shows the new s class, im not sure what year though, but it didnt look to great, even the front...
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Has anybody tried using Z-Max or other additives to there engine, fuel and transmission?

If yes, did they see any difference in there car(the way it runs) or if anybody tried any other types could you please share your thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Mark your calendars. If interested in a special edition farewell to the current E Class wait no longer. In a fortnight's time the Limited Special Edition will be in showrooms near you.

It consists of added packages at no additional cost.

For the E320, They come either in an obsidian Black model with Oyster Leather Interior or a Quartz Silver Model has an Ash Leather interior. Standard is the following options at no extra cost: polished finished 17 " Alloy wheels, Glass sunroof, rain sensor with intermittent winshield wiper speed setting,an audio Bose sound system, and Special Floor mats.

As for the E430 model, in addition to the above mentioned options, included is brilliant Xenon lights with headlamp washers.

I thought about sharing these notes with all of you...I hope this is informative enough..

P.S. The 2003 E Class will hit the show rooms early spring 2002. A demo will be availale in the Southern california area mid to late February.

Cheers
    Johnny2k
    Johnny is correct and if you want greater details go to http://www.mbusa.com Gee, I wish all those options were free on my 2000 E320.....Nice package and I assume you can get big discounts now.
  • kjanakjana Member Posts: 16
    Hello all:

I am in the market for one or another of these two cars. I have never owned an MB or an Audi. I am able to get a 2002 A6 4.2 quattro for $1,000 over invoice, which amounts to $47,157 the way I have it equipped. My local MB dealer will not move much off of MSRP for a 2002 E430 4Matic, which with E1 and E2, comes in at $59,720. The cars are equipped about the same, and I am having a hard time justifying the $12,500 difference. Can anyone out there share their view of these two cars? Has anyone owned both an Audi and a MB to compare the two over time? Finally, is my local MB dealer out of touch with the market?Thanks.
  • keikoe55keikoe55 Member Posts: 24
    can any one give me some price about what much I should pay the ext warranty and where to get it thank you
    After reading all the enthusiastic comments about ride and handling improvements with the HD Bilstein shocks, I bought them and had them installed today. The drive home was indeed an interesting one. My honest feeling is the ride is very stiff, too much I think. I even checked to see if they installed the sport model by mistake. No chance, I got what I ordered. Do you think it will take a few days for the chassis to settle and the ride with smooth out? Is it the 16" Continentals that aren't compatible with the shocks? I'm really disappointed right now, hope things improve as it settles. Any insight?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I have not owned either, but based upon my research...

You should be able to get a "near or below invoice" deal on the E430 4-matic. I was offered $2,000 below invoice for a brand new 2001 E-class (wagon) in June. I have heard that MBNA is now giving a $1,500 dealer discount on 2002 E's from a friend who is a leasing specialist with a DC area dealership. I know for a fact I could get a Wagon for $500 below invoice. I would expect the deals to get better as the 2002 model winds down, unless Mercedes has limited production for the 2002 430 models.

With respect to the Audi vs. Mercedes comparison, I would point out Audi resale values appear lower (considerably, in some cases) than Mercedes. I have a friend who has an A6 Avant and loves it. However, he also intends to keep it at least 7+ years and was not concerned about resale. If you intend to sell / trade within 5 years, resale vvalue should be factored into your analysis.

We are still considering replacing our SUV with a wagon and in my comparison between the E320 4-matic and Volvo V70T5, I concluded that the extra $12k+ for the Mercedes would be worth it. The Mercedes wagon has exceptional resale in the DC area, whereas the Volvo depreciates much more rapidly. I would intend to keep the car 8+ years, but still consider resale some indication of long term quality and reliability.

Just my two cents.
  • juresjures Member Posts: 42
    can any one recommend an on-line source to buy wiper blade replacements or refills for a 2001 e430? can someone give me an idea on how complicated is it to refill the blade. thanks roger
  • kjanakjana Member Posts: 16
    Thanks, habitat. I test drove MB again yesterday and I must admit there is an unmistakeable solid feel to MB's that I have not experienced with other makes. As a follow up question, does anyone know how the dealer incentives work? If I order a 2002 E today and dealer incentives are made available before I take delivery of the car, can I get the advantage of the incentive? Is this something I would negotiate up front with the dealer?
  • dzidzi Member Posts: 8
    I put in my deposit last week of a 2002 E320+COMAND+E2+SunShade+Changer. Hopefully will be picking up the car this weekend. From the last few postings here stated that MB is shipping special edition which E2 option is free. Anyone knows that any incentive will be apply to "Special Edition"? One dealer told me that SE will be arriving after Jan 1, 2002 which I think it's the time that the current incentive end.
    I'm paying around the invoice price on this car. Is this a ok deal?
    Thanks for any input.
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    Any suggestions for upgrades for the 4-matic wagon? I assume there is a difference in components due to the self-leveling suspension in the wagon. Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.

Thanks.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    What is your tire pressure? My gas cap door recommends 29/27, if I recall. When I switched to 17" AMG wheels, with Dunlop SP 8000 tires, the shop inflated them to 36 lb. all around, and I had the same sinking feeling on the drive home---What have I done!

Lowering the tire pressure made a huge difference. I recommend you try to find a pressure high 20's to low 30's that presents the best tradeoff of comfort vs. handling and wear.
    Dunninla,
    Thanks for the feedback, tonight on the way home I brought the tire pressure from 32 to 27lbs and it made a modest improvement. For some reason the car feels very firm but in an unbalanced way. I have owned BMW's and I also own a C5 Corvette and the MB ride just seems very weird to me now. I would love to ride in a E55 to feel how it rides and handles for a comparison. Are these shocks adjustable? Maybe they are set to the firm....... setting?
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    I find that the ride of my 01E55 is a bit softer than I would like and was considering going to hr springs, which would lower the car, and sport bilsteins, which according to Bilstein has the same valving, but is somewhat shorter. The stock E 55 has hd bilsteins, I think. The ride seems to "float" much more than my 93500E, but the car does corner better;The tires Dunlp sp9000 are at 36 all around.I think the springs allow for the float and then firm up more in cornering. There is sort of a "hunting, darting " feeling with speeds greater than 80-90. I've gotten used to it, but I may try the heavier set up. If you're in the new orleans area, you're wellcome to drive the car. the e-mail is spolet@aol.com
    Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm in the NY area.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Do you still have the 500E?

M
  • fishxprtfishxprt Member Posts: 21
    I drove off a new 2001 320E and found it also very stiff. I too lowered the tire pressure to 27 lbs. and it also had a modest effect. The big surprise came after about 4,000 miles. The ride is much less stiff. I think that no matter if your have the stock shocks, as I do, or the Bilsteins, it take a few thousand miles to break them in.
    My description of the ride in my car has gone from poor to outstanding. I hope you have the same experience.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    opportunity to purchase a '99 e320 as follows:
    49,300 mi - white ext. tan int - all std e3320 equip + bose stereo upgrade, cd changer, xenons, headlight washers - all books and records for service, excellent cond.
    has reduced price from orig ask of $34K to now asking $32K, can get for betw. $30-31K
    good price? any thoughts/suggestions? (i need to stay in the $30K range)
    thanks in advance - btw, you folks have an outstanding forum, enjoyable, educational and entertaining
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Roger, the blades are free of charge up to 2 years, one of the freebies during the adjustment period.

Go to your dealer and have them replaced!
This discussion has been closed.