Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    It has been available in Germany for about a month or so now.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    The passenger front "airbag" problem is really just a failure of the vinyl on the dash top--the seam of the "perforated" section that blows out with the bag. It is the entire dash top that they will replace. This has been a common problem and is a relatively simple repair.

The side air bag issue (which affected only some 2000 E cars) was about the airbag deploying in high temperature situations.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    So, when the passenger side airbag deploys the entire dash must be replaced? Will not just a new airbag be sufficient?

If the dealer pulls the entire dash out will I have to be concerned about rattles? Every car I have owned that had the dash removed had a rattle after I got it back. I sure hope my M-B stays rattle free.

Thanks for the posts.
    The NHTSA web site states that some '00 E class cars are affected by unusually warm weather. The side air bag may deploy spontaneously.

I will ask the dealer if my car is included in the recall. Also, if the dash must be pulled I will get a new radio head unit as well. On occasion, my radio reads "No CD player" and will not operate properly. This happens when I play the CD and then turn the car off. If I restart the car the unit will not play where it was left off. I have to press the radio button and then the CD button for the CD to come on.

I have had this problem with the radio/CD player since day one. I had the CD player replaced but the problem persists. The dealer offered to pull the dash and fix the problem but I declined. Is there any chance that a fiberoptic cable is the problem? I think the problem is with the radio head unit or a connection to the head unit.

Any input is appreciated. My '02 BMW has been trouble free but I do not have a CD player in the convertible.
    I like my '00 E430 Sport. The car had a MSRP of $62,000 with my option packages. So, my expectations were high when I purchased the car 26 months ago. Overall, the car is well-built and has great structural integrity inside and out.

My '02 BMW 330CiC is also well-built. But, the outside plastics are not as good as my M-B. The air dam and plastic around the front end of the BMW is particularly unimpressive (cheap actually).
    Also, the steel does not seems as "thick" as my
    E430. The interior is on par with my M-B, perhaps, even a bit better around the dash.

In '04 or '05 I will sell/trade my '00 E430 for a AMG E-55 or M5. AT this point, I am leaning towards BMW because of my previously mentioned problems with my M-B.

Please check out www.BMW2002.co.uk/news.htm for the BMW spy site and a glimpse of the new 5 series.
  • pcharles1pcharles1 Member Posts: 4
    For edsoto
    Why didn't buy your car from the broker in NYC? Has anyone bought a Mercedes from this broker. He says he can offer the car (E320SE) at $42900 because of a special order from Mercedes? It sounds too good to be true? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    Hi:

He offered the E320 Special Edition for 44,500. I didn't want the SE. His price for an E320 Silver/Charcoal was 46,800. E2 + heated seats. No CD player.

MB Rallye on Long Island offered an E320 - Silver/Charcoal, E2, Heated seats for 44,636 with CD player. It was there on Monday 4/8. I called back on 4/12 and and it was gone. Ugh...

MB Manhattan said a Silver E320 with E2, heated seats was 47,800 - Final. Nothing less. No CD Player. One salesperson did not return my email.

And finally :), MB Greenwich (Salesman Paul K.) offered a Silver/charcoal E320 with E2 and Heated seats for 46,500 or a silver/charcoal with E2, heated seats, CD player, and K2a package for 47,900. I went with that. The K2a with voice activation is pretty cool - more than I expected.

(BTW: I tried MB Helms Brothers in Queens... In February/March time frame: A 6,000 mile demo Silver/charcoal 2002 with CD/E2/Seats: 46,500. Finding out this price was tough enough. A new one with E2/heated seats: 47,150. This was after 5 minutes of continuing to ask the sales person what is the price of a new car. Before an answer could be given, I had to choose between a) picking it up today, b) end of week, c) end of month d) some other time... I would go back to my question and again, those choices were presented. So, after a few minutes of the sales person calculating the national debt on a calculator, I finally heard $47,150. But that price would only be good for the end of the week since the price varies depending upon when you pick up the car.
    --------------------------------------------------
    This was my experience in buying my E320.

During this time, my friend purchased a Lexus ES320... I'll just keep that pleasant experience to myself, unless someone asks. :)
    Walto, I stopped by my M-B dealer today to discuss my repair work. Of course, you are correct in that the entire dash must be replaced
    in order to correct my problem with the passenger air bag. Also, I need a new instrument cluster to correct my "slow" clock problem.

The dealer is going to check my radio and fiberoptics. I probably need a new radio.
    The total cost to M-B for all this warranty work is over $4,000. According to my dealer the M-B extended warranty would cover these problems after my original warranty expires except for the radio.

I am glad to have the additional 4 year warranty
    for peace of mind. Without the extended warranty I do not think I could sell my car on my own.
    But, with this additional factory coverage in place selling the car should be easy.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    Yes, I also bought the warranty and I think it's a good idea. One electronic gizmo (the instrument cluster, for example) is probably more than the cost of the warranty. When people talk about unreliability in these cars, I think they're forgetting about the number of systems and the complexity of those systems. This complexity is beyond anything anyone might have imagined 10 years ago!

Incidentally, on the "No CD" problem, that is the one problem I have actually had with this car (mine has Comand). The problem was, indeed, a short fiber optic cable section in the left well of the trunk--it had been badly bent. The computer diagnostics identified it immediately.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Edsoto...?ES320
    Typo... I don't know how I could confuse the model numbers of the cars...
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    I just got this email from my dealer.

SPECIAL BULLETIN

This is hot off the wire from Mercedes-Benz! We want to alert all new Mercedes-Benz owners that Mercedes-Benz has just announced a change to the MB Cares
    program. MB Cares is the extended warranty that is offered from Mercedes-Benz on new Mercedes. If you already purchased the extended protection, your warranty
    coverage will not change. If you have not purchased the MB Cares you only have until 6pm, Tuesday, April 30, 2002 before the program changes and the prices are
    modified. One thing we do know is the 4 year extension which gives you up to 8 years and 100,000 miles of coverage will be gone at the end of the month, and the
    indication is the other program prices will go up.

If you have a new Mercedes-Benz and it is less than one year old, you still have a chance to purchase the current program, but please do not delay. There are not many
    days left and with Fiesta now under way there will be plenty of distractions. Next month we should be able to let you know all the changes in the new Mercedes-Benz
    program. For now we just wanted to let you know about this change as soon as possible, so you would have the opportunity to purchase the current 8 year program
    before it is gone.
    Buy the warranty now if you are planning on keeping the car for more than four years.
    It is the most comprehensive warranty in the business. This is probably why Mercedes has decided to change it and raise prices.
    The "new" extended warranty will probably cover less for more money.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    That is too bad. The warranty is/was a good one. I wonder if the issues written about over on the C-class board have scared the MB actuaries?
    Warranties: How does the MB warranty compare to other warranties (Geico, Warrantybynet, WarrantyGold), etc...

Thanks,
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    If you have a problem that is not wear-related (brake shoes, wiper blades, etc), you show up at the dealer and they'll take care of everything with little fuss or muss (under the MB warranty). For some reason, they exclude the power antennae if you have one.

3rd party plans often have a laundry list of items they don't cover. Some of them require pre-approval before you can have the work done (reminds me of an HMO patient trying to get approval for a transplant - forget aboud it!)
    Some have deductables.
    Those you mentioned have come up here on Edmunds, with mixed results.
    I personally view them as an entity in business to make money, and throwing up enough roadblocks to paying out helps them make more money.
    Not that MB hasn't the same goal, but...
  • pcharles1pcharles1 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you edsoto for your reply. I guess what I am really worried about is will Mercedes honor any warranty if I buy the car from a broker and not a dealer. Of course the broker tells me they will, but does anyone else have any experience with this?
    I was worried about that as well. My plan was to put down $100.00, get a VIN number from them, then call Mercedes-Benz and find out if the car is a legit USA car. I was also going to go ahead and do the CarFax thing.

I can't say anything bad or good (except the price) about the car broker. -- But I do know this: If you have any doubt about where you buy your car from, DON'T BUY IT FROM THERE, REGARDLESS OF THE PRICE!

I would have loved to have bought my car from Helms Brothers - but because of the way I felt I was treated, I didn't. Oh Well.

Good Luck...
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Member Posts: 13
    I read last month (or earlier this month) re: MB's decision to import the E270CDI in the new body this fall...since that first announcement, loads of news and reviews have popped up everywhere on both the E320 and 500, but no more word on the 270...does anyone have links or other info that would offer more insight into whether this is actually true, and if so, are the diesels truly going to be available at introduction time with the other two models? I have a 99 300TD I'd like to get sold before those come in, but my dealer is playing coy and says they have no new info yet. HELP?!
  • jsalemijsalemi Member Posts: 17
    Another dumb question: what is the purpose of the little flat-topped pyramid in the middle of the dash (between the defroster vents) on an '02 E320? Is it:

1)The sun sensor for the automatic climate control?

2) The rain sensor for the automatic wipers?

3) Just a piece of plastic?

I'm curious because I don't know if I should avoid blocking it or not when I put my radar detector on the windshield for long drives...

Thanks!
    ---joe
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    hhm1644, I posted information about the 270CDI about 2 weeks ago. I'll look into providing more info. I'm a dieselhead myself.
    http://carview.msn.co.uk/mvip/trims/MER2030024.asp

This is the UK spec for the C270. They currently do not offere the 2.7 inline-five diesel in E-class cars, but will in the 03 year. It is reportedly being uprated approximately 10 hp.

So, preliminary guesstimates? E270 will be a turbodiesel inline-five with 180hp and about 0-60 in 9 seconds, with 40mpg.

Yeehaw!

• parricparric Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks,

Some of you may enjoy reading about my experience buying a 2002 E320 4Matic in the Smart Shopper / Inconsiderate Salespeople discussion.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    I just read that the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire will share drivetrains with the SLK. There was some speculation that the new 300M would share with Mercedes also (I assume E class?), however a decision has been made not to do so. I love my E320 but have to say I would not look kindly on Mercedes / Chrysler integration in larger cars when considering an E or S in the future.
    not just the drivetrain, but also the interior bits, like the switches, and the radio, etc are straight out of MB parts bin.
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, as it's not Mercedes using Chrysler parts.

The Passat is based on the Audi A6 and neither hurts eachother's brand image. the Crossfire looks to be superb, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.
    Definitely not a bad thing. I am sure it will do wonders for Chrysler's image. However, I did hear that MB was very adamant about not doing this sort of thing when they merged. Guess things change.
    I picked my car up today. I have a new dash, new radio and new instrument cluster. The repair work is excellent and I do not have any rattles!

I also had my one ding (the only imperfection in my '00E430 Sport) removed by the dentless car guy.
    The car looks great.

The only "negative" was the pin sized hole on my driver's seat. Fortunately, leather is very forgiving and I was able to buff out the hole with a lot of Lexol leather conditioner.

I may yet buy a '04/'05 E-55 instead on the new M5 for two reasons: I prefer the ride of the M-B compared to BMW (I own a '02 BMW 330CiC) and my local M-B service department is outstanding.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Obsidian Black/Black. It had 150km (95 miles) and my friend insisted that I try it around the bloc. One word: wonderful. I was impressed with the keyless-go. The door unlocks whenever you are close to it as long as the Chip-card is in your pocket. To start the car just touch the brake pedal then press a button on the transmission shift. I was not impressed with the exterior noise of the engine. It knocks like my E's 3200 cc, (both sound like diesels). I know I will offend many MB fanatics on this but I must state that MB should read Lexus book on smooth engines. Before you fire any UFO's please consider that my first MB was a 1972 250E (and many later) and I have never owned a Lexus... yet.
    Jean
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    I have posted here before. I have multiple points to address concerning my 2000e430sport. To anyone considering the extended warranty, just get it period. I highly recommend lisa lehrbaum in california. I got 4/50000 for 1680 in april of 2001. easy process. reason? I do love my car but problems encountered include 3 batteries in first month of ownership since fixed and attributed to phone. no problems since. recently hadgas tank and sensor checked as I could not fill car to 21 gallons, (have read about this and personally know others. needed newsensor. and 16 different parts along fuel line. break in seam along passenger airbag on dash, need new dash currently ordered also reported as problem on e class. I do not think car is lemon as it runs perfectly now although thoughts have crossed my mind. lastly just got 4 michelin pilot sport tires. what a remarkable difference from my original continentals 17k miles. anyone needing tires just pay for the michelins (225-240each depending on internet or merchants price) you will not regret it at all. p.s. agree that lexus engine is probably the smoothest I have ever experienced (wife has LX470)
  • delta9delta9 Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure that that's such a good thing considering I had a transmission go bad in less than 6 month on a new 2001 E320 and two of my friends with Mercedez products, the ML320 and SLK320 are currently having problems. On the ML320 in less than three month the fuel pump went bad and on the SLK the fuel light keep going on and off sporadically. In addition, the Wall Street Journal recently had an article that the Mecerdes quality rating has decline since is started expanding its line of cars. Mercedes Benz's rating was worst than the Opel another non-premium luxury German made Auto maker.
  • flexstarflexstar Member Posts: 3
    Is there a pull up rear window screen available for subject car? I bought one from Clair but it was for a 1999 E and won't fit the 2000. I live in FL and and it get real hot back there. Any comments would be appreciated.

Flexstar
  • dzidzi Member Posts: 8
    Today I drove through a railroad track in about 35 mph speed and suddenly the trunk just popped open. Has anyone had this kind of problem before? Is there any fix to this problem? I have a 2002 E320. Thanks in advance.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    I get a lot of good information from Edmunds, but is anyone aware of a good Mercedes specific website with chatrooms? I got a lot of good info from Audiworld.com when we were considering an Audi last year and I'm sure there is something similar for Mercedes.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi you all,

It has been awhile since I last posted. I have been reading your posts. I will post every now and then whenever I get some info that is worthy so to speak.

I have received an email from my contact at Mercedes-Benz Retail and Development in Southern CA in reference to the Ordering Guide for the new 2003 E Class. It includes information on the option packages and accessories but pricing is expected to be available late May. I will keep you all posted.

Enjoy and cheers,

Option Packages:

147 E1 Value Added Package

600 Haedlamp Washing System
    614 Bi-Xenon Hadlamps

148 E2 Value Added Package

414 Glass Sunroof
    810 Premium Sound System

236 E4 Convenience Package

287 Split Fold Down Rear Seats
    842 Foldable Front Passenger Seat

237 E5 Comfort Package

443 Comfort Steering Weel
    873 Heated Front Seats

311 K2b Motorolla V60 and CD Changer

038 Integrated 6 Disc CD Changer
    050 Motorolla V60 Phone

313 K2c Motorolla V60 Phone and CD CHanger w VR

051 Motorolla V60 Phone w VR

406 Multi Contour Seats

404 Driver MC Seats
    405 Passenger MC Seats

432 Dynamic Seats Driver and Passenger

433 Driving Dynamic Seat Right
    434 Driving Dynamic Seat Left

772 E3 Sport Package

600 Headlamp Washing System
    614 Bi-Xenon Headlamps
    633 5 Spoke 17' Wheels
    954 "Avant Garde Package" Body kit.

Stand Alone Options and Accessories

219 Distrocnic
    220 Parktronic
    289 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
    401 Active Ventilated Seats/ Front Only
    413 Panorama Sunroof
    443 Comfort Steering Wheel
    475 Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    540 Power Rear Window Sunshade
    810 Premium Sound System
    873 Heated Front Seats
    889 Keyles Go

Cheers

Johnny2k
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi you all,

It has been awhile since I last posted. I have been reading your posts. I will post every now and then whenever I get some info that is worthy so to speak.

I have received an email from my contact at Mercedes-Benz Retail and Development in Southern CA in reference to the Ordering Guide for the new 2003 E Class. It includes information on the option packages and accessories but pricing is expected to be available late May. I will keep you all posted.

Enjoy and cheers,

Option Packages:

147 E1 Value Added Package

600 Haedlamp Washing System
    614 Bi-Xenon Hadlamps

148 E2 Value Added Package

414 Glass Sunroof
    810 Premium Sound System

236 E4 Convenience Package

287 Split Fold Down Rear Seats
    842 Foldable Front Passenger Seat

237 E5 Comfort Package

443 Comfort Steering Weel
    873 Heated Front Seats

311 K2b Motorolla V60 and CD Changer

050 Motorolla V60 Phone

313 K2c Motorolla V60 Phone and CD CHanger w VR

051 Motorolla V60 Phone w VR

406 Multi Contour Seats

404 Driver MC Seats
    405 Passenger MC Seats

432 Dynamic Seats Driver and Passenger

433 Driving Dynamic Seat Right
    434 Driving Dynamic Seat Left

772 E3 Sport Package

600 Headlamp Washing System
    614 Bi-Xenon Headlamps
    633 5 Spoke 17' Wheels
    954 "Avant Garde Package" Body kit.

Stand Alone Options and Accessories

219 Distrocnic
    220 Parktronic
    289 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
    401 Active Ventilated Seats/ Front Only
    413 Panorama Sunroof
    443 Comfort Steering Wheel
    475 Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    540 Power Rear Window Sunshade
    810 Premium Sound System
    873 Heated Front Seats
    889 Keyles Go

Cheers

Johnny2k
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Thats one of the things I love about Mercedes, you can get customize your car more than any other brand this side of Bentley, yet you don't have to get things you don't need in a single 8K option package. BMW is somewhat similar too I guess.

M
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    dzi, It has not happen to me but did you know that in the manual it mentions that if you go over very bumpy roads your car could possibly unlock itself. I'm wondering if that is what happened. Did your door locks go up too? The purpose is that if you are in an accident, the emergency people can get you out of the car without breaking windows, etc. Your trunk popping open could be related to that feature.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    One other forum I browse is mbworld.org
    Quite a lot of enthusiasts over there.
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    Check Mercedes Shop

http://www.mercedesshop.com/main.htm

When I visit the diesel discussion, I miss my '81 240D. (But not the rust.)

I doubt my E300 will last for 18 years and nearly 250,000 miles.

• dzidzi Member Posts: 8
    I didn't notice the doors were unlock or not. I'll read the manual and call dealer to confirm that. It'll be scary if a bump would cause trunk to open and possibly to cause accident if stuff flying out of trunk. Thanks for your response.
  • gambhirgambhir Member Posts: 64
    Thx for the info--But I don't see navigation--I thought initially they were having CD nav later to be replaced by DVD (high-time)
  • scoop101scoop101 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone become aware of the new MB prices for the extended warranty programs?
  • boo20boo20 Member Posts: 85
    I've had the doors unlock while hitting a bump on several occasions in my SL.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I've heard of this too on a friend's MB, it turned out to be some sort of crash sensor gone bad. The sensor thought the car had been "hit", thus unlocking the doors.

M
  • boo20boo20 Member Posts: 85
    Sometimes on Mercedes it's not clear exactly what's a 'defect' and what's a 'feature.'
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    As we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tony107tony107 Member Posts: 15
    Yak, what did they do to a perfect car. The front looks like a 2003 SLK while the back looks like a cross over with Audi A6 and Jag S type.I loved the befor 2003 makeover tail lights, they were the most original tail lights on Earth but now ......... Your opinions on it?
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    i think the new e looks awesome. it has a very nice front and rear end. but if anyone knows of any sites with spy pcs, pleas list them here. i know of a couple, www.germancarfans.com clickon news and go down to merrcedes and you will find the link., also there is www.mbspy.com, and i kno of www.mercedes-benz.com, go to world wide english, and then go to the new e special. those are the only 3 i know of, butthry are very good sites with nice pics
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I just got back from a European Delivery of my new 530i last week, and I saw many of the new E-Class cars roaming the roads between Munich and Paris, some of which were even equipped with a manual gearbox.

Personally, I have been thinking that the W210 (I was working at MBUSA when it was developed, and I absolutely loved it back then) is starting to look a little long in the tooth. As such, I really like the W211, enough so, that if MBUSA would decide to import them with three pedals (like my 530i), I would seriously consider leaving the BMW fold, and get the E-Class next time around.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.