Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I drove mine in the snow here in NH last year and it was excellent. I mounted 4 blizzak MZ-01's. The car was a joy to drive in the snow. The Land Cruiser is a first rate SUV with real offroad capability. However for most daily usage, I think you'll find that an AWD car, such as the E Class, will provide a superior driving and handling experience. It is better balanced and has a much lower center of gravity. I'd take it over any SUV in rain, average snow or ice. Deep snow or off roading, the SUV is probably a better tool for the job.

Nothing can substitute for drivers skill in driving in the snow. The thing that I find is that SUVs embolden below average drivers and around here they are actually the cause of most accidents in the inclement weather. During real snow storms, the sides of sweeping on/off ramps are littered with SUVs that have lost control and gone off the road.

We have a 2001 E320 4Matic and a Subaru Legacy sedan and have absolutely no desire for an SUV.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Thanks BigRob and Wniel. I'll check our local dealer for 2003's and try to test drive an E this weekend.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I am driving a E320 4matic since several years. Suffice to say that I have driven it for hundreds of miles through the biggest North American ice storm on record. I always felt safe and in total control over frozen lakes and icy ramps where even some SUV's were stuck. Once you experience 4matic you may never go back to 2WD.
    Jean
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    bigrobnh's second paragraph says a lot... The best tool for driving on snow is knowledge of HOW to drive. Certainly having 4WD is a huge help, but I have a 96 E with only limited slip 2WD (4 snow tires) and two winters ago while commuting in an early morning snow storm I had to slow down to go around the back end of an Explorer sitting at right angles to the road on top of a low stone wall here in Massachusetts. I made it to work just fine, thanks, but that driver of the Explorer had kind of a "bad day"... Slow and steady makes up for a lot of technology..
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    I took a brief ride in the new E320 this afternoon...and noticed an aditional sticker for about $1,000 worth of teflon paint treatment and LoJack! Let's see how long THAT will last...
  • maui19maui19 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2002 E320 4matic that came with Michelin MVX4 tires (also has an "X green" logo on them). I've tried to get some info on these tires, and have found there are several variations on this model. Can anyone give me the lowdown on these tires--particularly in snow?

TIA
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    jgravel, I was under the impression that there were no 4matics coming out in the 2003 model year. Am I mistaken?

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    BigRob, excellent point. I guess I was assuming the 2003 would mimic the 2002 for major functional components. Does anyone know for sure if the 2003 will have an AWD offering?

I've set up a test drive for tomorrow afternoon. The salesperson should have the correct info. I'll pass along what I find out if I get no responses today.

Good catch,

-Jay
  • jsalemijsalemi Member Posts: 17
    jgravel,
    There's no 4WD option or model on the MBUSA web site, and I seem to recall discussions here that the 4WD model won't be hitting these shores until sometime next year.

---joe
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I agree with Joe that there was info on this board a while back that neither the 4Matic or E-Class wagon would be available until about a year after the new E is introduced in the U.S.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I saw on the MB website that the price of the new E does include $665 transportation, but doesn't include 'Dealer Prep'.

Does anyone know what to expect the Dealer Prep charges to be?

With only about $5,000 profit on the cars, I know they must be living hand-to-mouth and need the extra dough!
    Footie,

When I bought my new E back in February, there was NO "Dealer Prep" charge added. The only things on the the invoice were the car itself, taxes, and registration fees.

Considering that the first 4 years of regular service is included in the cost of the car, I'd be surprised if a dealer had the nerve to charge a prep fee...

---joe
    My question was about what Dealers could do.

I asked it since the Mercedes web site for the new E Class has the big fine print paragraph besides their prices that says "dealer prep is not included in the MSRP".

Go look.

So I wondered if the dealers were going to try to push a prep charge on top the 50K plus these things cost!
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    My first MBenz is a E430 2001 new- paid sticker $55k. Now, 50 weeks later only worth $39 towards a new one! What goes?
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    It's called 1st year depreciation. The ugly truth is that the minute you drive your new car off the dealer's lot, it loses a big chuck of value. It's a used (or if you prefer, a "pre-owned) vehicle and for the dealer, it's value is trade in value is based on wholesale price for that particular vehicle. Also the E430 model has been replaced by the new E500 so there's also technological and cosmetic obsolescence involved.

Be glad you didn't buy an Infinity which suffers even more 1st year depreciation do to market values.

Enjoy your E430. It's a great car. Why are you looking to get rid of it?
    I want to sell my gorgeous 2001 E430 (20k miles) black, java leather (lite coffee color) great shape. I want the smaller 6 cyl E320 at this time. Less travelling.
    I bought a new 2002 Q45 7/20/01 and after fiuve weeks dumped it at a terrible loss. Used more gas than a Sherman tank. Dealer won't admit it but 1.5 pounds (capacity!!) of R134 will not cool off cabin in hot weather. Looks nice, drives nice, $50,000 worth of waste.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Hmmm....
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    I don't understand. The amount of gas the thing would have taken would definitely be less than selling it at a loss.
    Merrell,

Your dealer will give you 39K on the trade and have your car back on the lot in the mid-40's the following day.

They love this. Sell you the car, make 6.5K. You trade it in a year later because you want a a slightly smaller motor? They get to make another 5K.

Sounds like buy high, sell low to me.
    What we're telling you is that you're better off economically if you keep the E430. You must know this! Is there some other reason why you want to dump it????
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    You're also better off if you do decide to sell it that you sell it yourself and don't trade it. A little more hassle but more $$ in your pocket too.
  • howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know what the
    "Check Engine Electronics Warning Message"
    could be caused by?

I have a 98 E320 with 28000 miles, just took ownership 1 month ago, I have been trying to find out what the error could be.

Checked that the gas cap is on tight, the car did say 25 days to service, then this "check..." message appears each time the car is started. Thanks for your help - howieb@hotmail.com
    I probably will sell the '01 E430 privately. Thanks for all the good advice!
  • mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    I am waiting for the new navigation (command) system to come out. The old system did not match up with any of the other Mfgs. Lexus, Jag, Accura all use the same system which is outstanding. I believe it is made by Hitachi.
    Any one know anything about the new system. No information that I can find.
    I need the system due to business and will buy an 03 if it is any good.
    Anyone know when Edmonds will get pricing for the '03 E?
    Latest I heard was that the CD-based navigation system for the E-Class will be delayed until January 2003 or later. Meanwhile, there may be a few new Es with COMAND.

BTW, I'm aware that Edmunds has always knocked COMAND, but I got it in my 2000 E-320 and haven't regretted it. It did NOT come with a set of back-up paper maps and really isn't that difficult to use. In many instances it's saved my fanny or at least prevented me from becoming "momentarily disoriented." If I had to make the decision again, it would be the same.

That said, the CD system should be a tremendous improvement.
  • babyjockobabyjocko Member Posts: 8
    My dealer told me that they are taking orders for DVD-Command at $1600. According to a MBUSA bulletin, the factory ordered price will be $2200 when it becomes available around March 2003. But, they will discount $500 if you order it before it's ready and then have the local dealer install it for free. The Command System will eliminate the cassette player and provide a connection in the glove box for a portable cassette player (not included).

Also, I notice that the Electronic Trunk will be delayed, too. Neither Command nor Electronic Trunk are currently offered as options on the MBUSA website because of their delay.

I just can't figure why it would take this long to come up with these items. These things should be easy compared to the rest of the technology in the E-class.
    Anybody know anything regarding the availability of the E55 in the States? I know that it will be available in Germany in fall 2002. The E55 will have the supercharged engine delivering 476 horsepower! Wow!

I've driven the E500. It's nice. But, the E500 at 302hp will almost feel like a Yugo compared to the E55.
    I believe the new DVD navigation system is also being made by Harmon Kardon (sp?). MB just contracted for it with them a couple of months back, so the delay is probably due to ramp-up time, and then shipping the units to Germany from the US for installation.

---joe
    Here is a link to the Harmon Kardon offering currently being sold ( 200K units they say ) to major car companies like MB, BMW, etc. in Europe.

http://www.hktrafficpro.com/trafficpro_ad.html

The HK unit looks a lot like a regular AMFM/CD player with a NAV mode. It's designed to retrofit into the existing player hole.

If you look at the new MB E dash where the CD is, the HK Traffic Pro could go there.

From reviewing their site the HK unit has a very small screen display and relies on voice output to give the driver instructions.

It didn't say anything about voice input.

I am not sure that I think it will be worth $2200 to get technology from Europe that Lexus and Acura had 5 years ago.

Maybe MB has something else planned??? Anyone know?

MB may be using a Harman/Kardon navigation system in the E, I don't know. But, I do know that it certainly will not be that model. Here is the Command system for the European E. I doubt that the US version would be much different (if any).

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/pc_range/e_class/features/feature_page2_scroll.asp?sec=telematics&pageName=comand#

The closest info I can find is this press release on the Harman Int. site:

http://www.harman.com/pr/index.jsp?articleId=127

It talks about the new S-Class system Harman is designing, but the details are similar enough to how MB describes the E-Class system that I'm wondering if MB decided to use the same system (or a stripped-down version) in the E-Class, rather than the off-the-shelf HK system?

Be interesting to get a definitive answer...

---joe

• jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone have an idea of the cost of 2003e55AMG? Current 2002 around 70-73k. Is nav standard? What posible options on this baby? Availability? I'm sure it will be marketed as 2004.
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Please let me know if anyone has a clear instruction to change oil. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Should I switch to Mobil 1 syns oils? Thanks
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I read about this elsewhere...can anyone comment?

MB has apparently agreed to settle a suit about oil change errors by expanding all warranties on 98-00 vehicles from the original 5yr/50k mile to 10yr/100k miles, plus issue a service credit for $35.
    Just yesterday I was chatting with the owner of a '99 E-Class wagon parked next to my 2000 E320. He told me about the suit, but the details were slightly different (1998-2001 models, different warranty extension, nothing about service credit). I wonder what will happen to those of us who bought the MB extended warranty to 8 years/100,000 miles.
    Here is a link to the story....

Fabulous if true.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all...ll=all-news-hed

Could someone please explain what the law suit is about. The url reference in post 3740 gives me error message. i.e it's no good.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all...ll=all-news-hed

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Somehow part of that link got replaced with an ellipsis, which is why is doesn't work.

I poked around on that site and found this piece on a proposed settlement of a suit:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_3mercedesaug30.story

If that's not the right article, maybe rbrenton88 will try again. The link that doesn't work ends differently than this one, but the story seems to be the one you folks were talking about.

:)

• valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I had the invinca-shield product installed on my
    '00 E430 Sport yesterday. The product made by 3M is a clear, porous material that protects the front hood and bumper from paint chips and bugs.

I recommend this product www.invinca-shield.com
    or www.stoneguard.com for all M-B drivers who frequent our over- crowded highways. A large SUV or 18 wheeler can really throw off some small stones or gritty sand which will damage your paint.

I prefer the stoneguard product but could not find an installer in the Orlando area. So, I went with Invincaman (Lake Mary) who came to my home and installed the product. Too bad I didn't put this stuff on two years ago when my paint was perfect. The Invinca-shield web page has a list of installers in your area.

I have been a regular on this forum for the past 2.5 years and have never seen a post on this subject before. I read about this stuff on a BMW forum and these guys won't drive their BMW off the lot without it. Those of you with Sport Packages who get the invinca-shield product may need to order the AMG version. My installer has to return next week because he ordered the regular E stuff which does not fit the airdam.

If I had an '02 or '03 E Class (especially an '03 AMG E55 at $80,000 plus) I would not leave the dealership without this product.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone understand if what is being contemplated is extending the entire warranty to 10 years / 150,000 miles, or just coverage of problems caused by not changing the oil enough because of the notification time of using synthetic oil?
    valueguy, thanks for the info. I saw this Motorweek but did not catch the name of the product. It seemed like the perfect way to protect the front of your car. In addition to protecting the pait, it protect expensive headlight lenses too. The claim is that it protects the lenses from cracking or breaking. I intend to put this on my new E500 when it arrives in October. Thanks for the websites.
    Pat's got the right link above. The story does not mention if the extended warranty will cover engine, drivetrain, or something else.

I can't believe that they'd cover bumper to bumper. That would be too good to be true. Most likely only oil-related engine parts.

But I remain optimistic.
  • billsdoorsbillsdoors Member Posts: 3
    Help!! I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2002 or 2003 E320. I have a 2003 desert silver coming over on the next boat. I saw a 2003 in person at the dealer yesterday and I felt it didn't live up to the pictures. It is a great looking vehicle if you like a sportier car. I'm looking more for a luxury sedan like the older model. If I choose to buy the 2002, will I be making a big mistake? This is my first MB.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    I am sure you can find 2002, but the supply may be limited and difficult to find a combination you want. I am sure you will get a good deal on it, but if you happen to find the one you like.
    I can't imagine how you find the 2002 E-Class to be more luxurious and the 2003 more sporty -- at least enough to consider buying the older model.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to buy the 2002. First, the two models look very similar, and the handling and ride comfort are also probably very similar. But consider the advances offered by the newer, significantly changed (improved) 2003 model. I can't even begin to list all of them, but a few are significant, including the high tech braking system, upgraded suspension, greater body stiffness ("tighter" body and frame), etc.

Suggest that you carefully compare the two models and note the new features and changes offered by the 2003. Then make your decision.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The 02 is much tigher looking, more sleek. The 03 seems to be padded out to resemble the S class and C class look. From a distance to me the 03 looks a more than bit Jag-like, having lost its prior distinctive MB shape.

The 02's also more mature from a quality point of view than the 03's are likely to be. Per the JDPower Initial Quality surveys, Mercedes of late has taken a while to get their "improvements" sorted out.

I don't know where you are from, but Herb Chambers in Boston as 17 E-02's on their lot per their inventory and I think Edmund's incentive page is showing that MBUSA is offering support to move them.

So you won't have to pay MSRP. In fact you ought to be able to negotiate a pretty good deal on one.

Keep looking and good luck.
    I vote for the 2003. I think the 2002 will loose resale value now that the new E is out that may offset any deal you might get on last year's model. I agree that the improvements of the new E are a must have. read the Edmunds review of the 2003 E and you may decide not to buy the 2002.
    The 2003 E compared to the 2002 model is like night to day. The 2003 E may just be the best value car MB as come up with to date. If you think the 2002 E even comes close, have at it. You would save a few dollars. But, I just have to shake my head at anybody that would even consider a 2002 E over a 2003.
This discussion has been closed.