Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    r1_97 the suspension on the E320 I drove was the standard issue not the semi active option (E500). The tires were properly inflated and I noticed the OD had 980 miles so this dealer demo has been getting a workout. I asked the salesman (a friend) and he said their conclusion is it is a harsher ride than the out going model. The semi active option is a better ride according to them...paulchiu I know what you mean. I have a 2001 S Class as well and I'm trading it in for the E500. I've been lucky but had the COMAND replaced and a few other minor issues. The new 2003 S Class upgrades the interior quality greatly FYI. The interior of the E is better in build quality but some things still look a little out of place in a $55K+ car like the switch gear and steering wheel (I hate the design). Also, I don't like the chrome strip along the wood trim across the dash, it looks very tacky. Reminds me of late 70's early 80' Olds and Buicks. What do people here think of the interior?
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    The goodyear F1's on the Sport are actually fabulous in the rain, despite the fairly wide footprint. The tread pattern whips water away very well. Other OEM tires, like the Conti's or the Michelins are similar in tread pattern, so I would assume likewise.

Snow is a whole different ballgame. Light snow is alright, assuming you don't try to push the traction control much. Heavy snow is a bare-knuckle experience, more so on trying to stop at an intersection than anything else. There are few driving experiences as disconcerting as sliding uncontrollably into traffic.
  • lex10lex10 Member Posts: 30
    I appreciate the comments and wish to inquire if rbrenton changes the sport tires for a winter/snow tire during the winter months for better traction or do you feel the Goodyear F1's are adequate enough for the snow.
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    F1's are great on wet or dry pavement but are like skis on the snow!!
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    jstyle et al,

Drove for a few miles alongside a light blue metallic new E320 this morning. It appears pretty big, almost as big as my S500. Looks pretty impressive on the highway. The brakelights are pretty sharp looking. When a C320 drove by, the E320 definitely looked bigger and you can really see a difference. I think the new E looks more like the current S than the current C.

So many products! Too confusing. Only 10 months more for me to choose.....

Paul
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Dropped by the dealer who was readying an E-320 and E-500 for delivery. Both cars looked great specially the E-320 with the Stone Napa Leather interior. The E-500 Black interior was awesome with the Leather/Wood steering wheel with matching Wood Gear Shift. The Dual-Zone Climate Control is standard on all E's in Canada with its duel charcoal filter. The in-dash six CD is a cleaver design. The odometer dials are traditional but good looking on the sporty side. The return of the analogue electronic clock is welcome after so many years. In 1975 I owned a 250E which has an identical clock. The chrome frame around the wood looks different. Before spelling my judgment I re visited many S and older E's in show room. My verdict is that chrome frame will raise the bar a bit higher and makes the E classier. Now if I can wait one more year for reliability...
    Jean
  • schnops33schnops33 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 2002-E320 for about 4 months, and I love it. It has a rock solid performance, quiet ride, and the transmission shifts are smooth...The car is everything I expected except for a couple of minor disappointments. The LC Displays, especially the clock and outdoor temp, are so difficult to see when not lit. Also, the AC compressor control button is lit in red when off but no indication when "on"...a green light (when "on") would make it easier to find the button to turn it off.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    I looked at the E 320 2003 today.

Looked smaller than the current E.
    Thought the interior was elegant but, would have preferred the current E's digital climate control
    buttons. The dials for temp don't seem to match a car for 50K. The MB Tex looked real to me.

I was not moved enough to say I want one now.
    I will hold onto my current e2000.

Regards,
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_3mercedesaug30.story

Any word on the class action suit concerning an extended warranty for 1998 thru 2001 models?

Only saw this one article on the issue wondering if their is any other information.

Regards

• sovrensovren Member Posts: 17
    I ordered my 2003 E-320 2 weeks ago. Its being built this week. Pewter with Charcoal. Got the sunroof, upgraded stereo 4 zone climate control, Premium leather and a few others. Delivery mid November.... I have had a MBZ since 1987.
    190 2.3
    190E 2.6
    C280
    SLK 230
    CLK 320
    C 320

Looking forward to this new one.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I'd appreciate driving reports from new E owners. How does the new E handle compared from prior years' models.
  • pompano73pompano73 Member Posts: 20
    He all! Been some time since I last posted, I have an 01 E320 which I like a lot, but wish the ride were a little softer. Was thinking about getting different tires instead of keeping the standard. Any recommendations? Also went to see the 03 E320, I hate to admit it but I think 00-02 looks better and not the Chryslerazation the current one is. My feelings could change the more I get used to it.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Any reason why you didnt go for the Panorama roof when it costs the same as the monroof? Just curious
  • babyjockobabyjocko Member Posts: 8
    Panorama cost pretty much the same as the E2 Package, but that package includes the Harmon/Kardon Sound System, which would otherwise cost $700.

Personally, I prefer and ordered the Panorama. To me, it's worth the extra $700.
  • sovrensovren Member Posts: 17
    I chose not to order it for 2 reasons.

First I have heard that they tend to rattle and genneraly be much noisier.

Second, my son sits in the back seat and I can't think of a time when he would want to have the sun baking him back there. The back part doens't open so I think it could get realy hot. Yes I know there is a shade that rolls out over it, but whats the point if you keep it closed all the time.
  • benz2000benz2000 Member Posts: 1
    Both my and my friends' E320 (1998 and 2000 Models) have problem with the rear power window. The power window only goes down and gets stuck. Is it a common problem? I never have this sort of problem with other cars I have owned. It is a shame that I have to pay for their design mistake.
  • xcaliberxcaliber Member Posts: 4
    Bought a 2000 E430 with 35k miles. Owner said that it had a 24 mo extended limited warranty from mercedes. Will this warranty automatically transferred to me on MB's database? Otherwise, how do I get it transferred to me (previous owner already left the country)???
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I was just reading a German auto mag yesterday and they said the interior noise decibel level is "noticably higher" with the panorama roof rather than the normal one. Also they did not report rattles but speculated if you drive older european streets (read bumpy ones like US pot holed ones) the construction tends to lead them to conclude there may be fit issues long term that would cause rattles and noise.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    benz2000 -- I assume you have a sedan and are not referring to the station wagon rear window. I learned from this board how to correct a problem with sedan rear windows that won't stay in the full up position.

Just use the remote, holding the "unlock" button until all four windows are lowered and the sun rood opens fully. Then, hold the "lock" button of the remote until all four windows go up and remain that way and the sunroof closes. That supposedly synchronizes the windows and they should operate normally.

Hope this helps.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    Lots of nifty little things: Coin holder, arm rest, storage under the seats...

I still think that the headlights look like Subaru's WRX and the Mini's... Oh Well - I would have opted for frosted head light lenses.
  • markalanandersmarkalananders Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1995 420 E. It has factory analog cell phone that I belive was made by Motorola with a factory installed microphone and it cuts out the stereo and plays the caller on the cell phone through the stereo speakers. I would like to find some way to use my nokia cell phone with the existing speaker and microphone. anyone have any idea on how I can do this?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    mbdriver,
    the issue the benz2000 mentions may actually be more severe than the window pinch sensors getting out of sync.
    my father owns a 2000 and had the rear window bind a couple of times in the lowered position. eventually it bound totally and the glass fell into the door! Apparently there is a known issue with the rear window lift assemblies. The driver that fetched his car said they were seeing a few of these (of course a rep in the service department would never say such a thing).
    I've not seen this with my 2001 and I hope I don't as I've had enough other stuff going on to keep me busy with it.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    I think it is a very cool option and will be distinctive too. I have two kids. They are very excited about it and can't wait. The 4 zone climate control in my E500 will compensate for any additional sun they get and the shade is a mesh type that will not compeltely block out the sun. I seen posts on other sites from people who have taken delivery of an E with the pano roof and they all love it. A pano roof is new to the E but it has been in other MB models and other car makers like have offered it for year. If it was trouble prone they would have had issues with it too. To each their own but I think it's great and so do my kids who will have their own sunroof (although it doesn't open) in the back seat.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    In reading this board, I continue to be amazed about the things that seem to go wrong with MBs.

Is there something special about MB windows that is a high enough extra added value that makes putting up with likely window failures in fairly new cars an acceptable tradeoff?

One would think that spending more on a car would actually result in fewer problems. None of the technologies in cars today is 'rocket' science, especially basics like windows, electronics, sound systems.

Am I missing something besides the caché of riding around in an expensive but not so well made car?

I had a 1989 280SE when I lived in Brussels in the early 90's. It was great and never had a problem that I remember. What's happened since then?
    I would recommend that you stop reading this forum then. It is here for owners to exchange information about their cars or prospective buyers to ask questions of knowledgeable people. As an owner, I can only apologize that this forum has offended your sensibilities.

All cars are mechanical devices and all mechanical devices will have problems. Am I happy that I have issues with my car. No. Is it enough to make me want to go back to my Camry? No. That may seem strange to you but, guess what, one of the reasons that I drive this car is because I can...something that you clearly can't understand.

then again, I believe you're just a troll so I have no idea why I'm even replying. Just about every one of your posts is a rag on this car and their owners. I wish the moderators would see this and act accordingly.
    Any car can have problems from the cheapest to the most expensive, MB is no different. I had an Audi that had problems with 2 of the four windows so it isn't just MB. Also you see posts about things that are issues with people. Someone isn't going to post that "all my windows are working fine". They are only going to post when they are not. So don't base your evaluation on the basis on what you read here or on any other site. It probably isn't a good representation of what most owners are experiencing.
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    I wouldn't take anyone who drives a ten year old Mercury too seriously when it comes to cars.
  • discountdaddy1discountdaddy1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone,

I had to turn in my leased Toyota Avalon this month and I thought that I was going to buy a new Toyota Avalon to replace it. A friend of mine asked why I was not looking at a used Mercedes E320 since I would get a superior car for roughly the same price as a new Avalon. I am researching the E320 right now, but I thought I'd ask the group a few questions to make my job easier.

1. Is there any significant difference between a 1999 and 2000 year model? I see a lot of used 1999 models at affordable prices.

2. How many miles is "too much" for a used Mercedes? I know that this is subjective and is directly related to how by budget restrictions, but I'd love to get some feedback from everyone on "best value": i. e., miles and price.

3. What features should I look for? I am familiar with the options that come on the 1999 and 2000 E320. Are there any options that are "must have."
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    MSG #3725 howiebx...

Does the engine run rough? My '98 E320 had a check engine light problem for a year, from 13,000 miles to 19,000 miles. Multiple trips to the dealer, under warranty thank goodness. Replaced injectors, coils, plugs, sensors, etc., etc. 29 days of shop time.

Finally they were taking the heads off to do the valves when they discovered a broken head gasket between cyl 4 and 5. As it leaked into the adjacent cylinder, the system sensed an anomaly and shut down that cylinder, hence the rough running. After warming up, I guess the gasket expanded and sealed and started running normally after the next engine start.

The check engine light could be a lot of things, but that's what it was for me. I couldn't be happier with the nice treatment I got from the service folks at HBL in Tysons. I have to wonder a little bit about why they couldn't have found the problem sooner, but it was a bit elusive. The service manager pledged to find it and fix it and that he did, and we became friends into the bargain.
    hope you get good feedback on this, I only have a little to contribute.
    1) was 2000 the year they did the re-design of the front end, lowering the hood line, and obsoleting the diesel from use. If so,
    2) no input
    3) the standard features are pretty rich on the car. as far as options:
    a) I live in NH. 4Matic was a must. it is excellent in the snow.
    b) xenon headlights.

Something to consider is finding one with a transferrable extended warranty. The thing that is really hard to get your mind around with these is the potentially staggering cost of keeping them running. So when your friend says you can get it for the same cost, there is a big fat asterisk next to that statement. Buying the new Avalon will have essentially no maintenance cost for the first 3 years of ownership.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    The 2000 does have a lower front profile.

Questions you need to consider:
    1) How much free maintenance is included with a '2000 when bought used or Starmark preowned?
    2) If you buy/lease Starmark, you get one extra year of warranty included.
    3) When warranty is over, can you afford the extra $$ it takes to regulary maintain a Benz vs. a Toyota?
    4) Does the cache of owning a Benz matter to you or is it important for your business?
    5) Is the taughter German suspension important to you? If so, you can get even more sporty by spending another $2,500 and upgrading to 17" wheels, performance tires and an Eibach spring suspension. It would seem silly to do that with an Avalon, but not an E320.

I love my '01 E320 and would do it again.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Not much diff in 1999-2000. I have both a 98 and '01. The latter seems to have a little firmer suspension. Most important consideration in buying a used MB especially,if not under warranty, is condition of car and secondly, the amount of miles driven.

Have it checked out thoroughly by an independent mechanic w/ a good reputation. Bear in mind that repair and maintenance work on a MB is much more expensive than on a Toyota.

Bottom line: You'll enjoy driving the MB much more than the Toyota BUT you have a much higher per mile cost of use even though the purchase price will be equal.
    Can anyone advise if the 2003 E500 really earned the gas guzzler tax. Does it really get horrible mileage in city driving? Any owners of an E430 please comment as well. Are the extra horses worth it? Advise is appreciated, still undecided between the E500 and E320.
    I think it was bigrobnh who mentioned finding a 2000 E-Class with an extended warranty. That's an extremely good point that could save you a bundle in repair costs for the next 5.5 years or so, or up to 100,000 miles -- if you opt for the Mercedes For example, my 2000 E320 has less than 15,000 miles and also has the extra-cost 4-year MB warranty extension. That means that I'll avoid any major repair expense until after May 2008!

Problem will be FINDING one. I don't plan on selling or trading my own car in the immediate future, and I doubt if many owners of MB 2000 E-Class with similar mileage and extended warranty do either. But . . . there's always the exception. If you do find one, expect to pay a premium price -- but IMHO it probably will be worth every penny!

Good luck, and let us know what you finally decide and why.
    The E500 does get the $1,000 gas guzzler tax. I think it is in the high teens city and low twenties highway. I also think it just missed not getting the tax. To me the extra power is important as is all the equipment that comes standard on the 500 that is an option on the 320. We all have different priorities and different budgets. To each their own.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Typically, how are Mercedes Benz service writers compensated?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi Guys, I just wanted to share a little story that happened to me this morning. I was next to a (2000-2002) E320 and I was needing to get in the lane he was in because my lane was going to run out in about a half mile. Well, I floored my 2002 ML500 so I could pass the E320 and realized that he was right with me. I think he thought I was trying to race him and I punched mine harder. I was surprised how he was keeping up with me being that my ML500 has 275 hp or so. I eventually had to let him pass me because my lane was running out. I immediately pulled in behind him and I think he realized that I was trying to change lanes and not race him. He waved at me and turn off on another street. I think I would have thought the same as he so I didn't get mad. But, I was surprised how he was staying up with me although he wasn't able to pass me. He stayed at about my passenger back door but just not enough room for me to cut over in front of him. Maybe I should special order a ML600... LOL!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Mark, I think you would need the ML55 to beat the E320. I have driven the E320 and have been surprised how fast it is. I suppose it's the light body making it rather zippy on the straight.

Keep in mind your ML is quite a bit heavier hence you two probably have similar power to weight ratio.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yep, thats it exactly. I wonder why they cancelled the ML55, it was the bestselling AMG product. I *guess* there wasn't room for it and the G55.

M
    Change my order from a 2003 E320 to an E500 after going back for a second test drive at the dealer. The hp was too good to pass up and the car was notably quicker. The E500 is some car!
  • et610et610 Member Posts: 40
    Also ordered E500 today. Found a dealer with an open production slot on Oct 10 to 20th. Was able to change the E500 he had to the upgraded one I wanted.
    Not to hard to decide on the E500 over E320. The hard part was MB over Lexus. The LS470 is really one heck of a vehicle. I found it to be much more luxury and ride than the E500.....but in the end could not go with the Lexus.

The navigation system was very important to me and the Lexus has an outstanding system. Mercedes will not release what the new system will be. Still....I ordered the E500. Can't really figure out why.
    Go to the MB site for the UK. You will find a paragraph or two on the new DVD Nav for the E there.
    I did check the UK site. I have been told by "technicians" at the 1800formercedes phone line that that is not the system that will be used in the U.S. The UK site appears to be a screen about the size of a car radio display.
    I am told that the new U.S. system will be a full 6" screen and that it will be supplied by Harman Becker under the MB Brand. I am told to "trust them it is a wonderful system". Actually, I have been told a lot of conflicting things about the system.
    I guess I will just have to see and hope to not be disappointed.
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    An E320 v. an Avalon? Come on people, what is this board coming to?????!!!!! There is absolutely no comparison between the two.

All kidding aside, we have both the E and the Avalon in the family and the E is by far superior in almost every aspect except for the maintenance and repair cost column (as most would agree). Avalon is a great choice and a good buy for the money in its own class, but the E is definitely much more refined and is loaded with latest safety innovations. Further, most aging Japanese cars have the tendency to exhibit certain feeling of looseness which gives the driver a false sense that the cars may be falling apart, whereas a typical E would remain rock solid and feel almost as tight, as new, 10 years down the road.

I like the Avalon for the value, room and smooth engine, but I LOVE the E for everything that most other make and model automobiles cannot offer. (My ’98 E320 with 62K miles drives and rides just as good, if not better, than when it was new.)

The bottom line is that if you can live with the relatively high maintenance and repair bills and a slightly inferior reliability than the Avalon, E class is definitely the choice!

With respect to the extended warranty, do get it. You don’t have to have the MB EW. You can buy it aftermarket from companies such as Warranty Gold at a decent price. The only drawback is that WG is not accepted by some MB dealers, therefore, you have to find a reputable independent repair shop. I have MB EW on my ’01 M-Class (which I assume would work just as regular MB warranty) and I have WG on the ’98 E (5 years from the date of contract and up to 100K miles). I recently had my first major repairs (AC compressor and belt tensionor) on the E and claimed them under WG. WG came through without any problems, and this repair alone paid for the warranty itself.
    Thanks for the info et610. I didn't know it was a different system in the USA. I have pre-ordered it too at the discounted price so I'm in the same boat. I'm sure it will be a nice system and am really looking forward to it. Just disppointed that it won't be in my car when it comes. I was told they are shooting for the first quarter of next year for the DVD-Nav but my dealer said it could be later than that! If it takes too long they said I could have my money back. I post any info I find out in the meantime.
    Well put. BTW, if you don't mind telling how much is the extended warranty? Is there a deductible for repairs? I have never purchased an EW before but since MB's are expensive to repair I think I will with my new E500.
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    I purchased WG EW in March last year, just before my factory warranty ran out. I don’t remember exactly how much I paid, but I believe I paid around 1500’s or 1600’s for WG’s Diamond plan with zero deductible. The coverage as stated, is for 5 years from 30days after the EW purchase date and 100K original miles (not additional 100K). You can check out there website and I believe they also offer 7years/150K protection. The problem is that the 7 years is from the EW purchase date, not the original warranty expatriation date, so you may want to wait for a year or two before you buy WG if your E500 is brand new (but then it could be more expensive two years down the road).

There are few tricks in buying EW (both aftermarket and MB).

If buying from MB and your car is less than a year old, I suggest that you shop around the dealerships (go to M-Class forum and find contact info for I think Lisa in Coach Motor MB ??? in N. Cal.). I bought MB EW from her at a “substantial” discount (even though I bought my ML in S. Cal. and it was almost 1yr old when I bought the MB EW. I don’t know if she can offer good deals on EW for the E, but it is worth a try if you want MB EW. In any event, I would call around dealerships to see if they would deal on the EW.

If buying from WG, just get a quote and sign up at their web site. Don’t buy right away because WG will email you discount emails. (e.g., first email will be $100 off, second will be 150 or 200 off.) I think the best discount I saw was $400 off the quoted price in the 3rd or 4th email that I received. I would call WG sales personally and asked them to give you the largest discount (as offer by email discounts or others alike). I have found that WG sales were very easy to deal with and so far very happy with them. Don’t know if they still use the same type of marketing and special offers. Good luck.
    Thanks for the great post. I was also interested in the extended warranties. Your post was excellent and will help to get information later.
    Do the MB extended warranties start after the original warranty period or do they run simultaneously also.
    Thanks for all the great info yickwo. I really appreciate it.
    rayscar -- the person mentioned for the discounted MB warranty is Lisa Lehrbaum, Finance Manager at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA. Contact info: lisamarie@lehrbaum.net for e-mail, phone # 1-800-655-3535 or 530-893-1300.

The "Mercedes Care Premium Coverage" warranty I bought must be purchased before the first anniversary of the car's purchase date. I've heard that MB has changed some of the parameters for the extended warranty, but I bought mine from Lisa for my 2000 E320 in March 2001. It adds another 48 months/50,000 miles to the original MB warranty and listed (then) for $2,650; I paid only $1,680 for mine, and I bought my car in Maryland.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
This discussion has been closed.