Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    lex10lex10 Member Posts: 30
    I looked at many different vehicles in the same price range (Lexus,Infinity,Bmw,etc) and the E500 swayed my opinion. It came down to Bmw vs Mercedes in the end and being that Bmw is changing the 5 series next year I optioned for the new model Benz, I also really liked what Mercedes did with the E class. I ordered the sport package which really gives it a sharper look both outside and in. Although the Lexus was a nice vehicle its exterior was a bit too boring for me plus they don't have a comlimentary routine maintenance program. The navigation system is also important to me but I am sure the E class will have an excellent system whenever it does finally comes out. Look on the bright side Mercedes is offering a rebate if you order the nav system now. Good luck with your vehicle.
  • Options
    franman23franman23 Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my 2003 E320 last night. I ordered it the first week in July so it took me about 2 1/2 months to get it, but the wait was well worth it. I got the obsidian black E320 with sport package, premium sound, panoramic roof, and solar panels. I love this car. I had been driving a '93 300 CE (which I'm keeping and still love to drive) but the technological advances from 1993 to 2003 are amazing. I highly recommend getting the sport package as it makes the car look so much better than a standard E320. The wheels and tires look a lot better on the car and the bi-xenon headlamps look really cool at night.

The panoramic roof is unbelievable. I was skeptical when I first put the order in, but I think it is one of my favorite features on the car. The glass roof blends in well with the obsidian black paint and the interior ambience of the car is so cool at night when you have it open.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get the in-dash CD changer. I ordered it, but they have been having supply problems with the CD changer because of overwhelming demand so a lot of the people who preordered the car with this option will be a little disappointed when they don't get it.

I was deciding between the BMW 540 and the E Class. I'm definitely glad I chose the E. It is such an elegant yet sporty car and I think its the perfect size being in between the C320 and S 500.

For those of you who are debating between the E320 v E500, it depends on how fast you really need to get somewhere. I think the E320 has plenty of horse power for the kind of driving I do, but it is always nice to have a few more horses under the hood if you want to spend another $5,000 (which is probably worth it for those who want the extra power). I would definitely recommend the sport package if you choose the E320.

Anyways, I guess I've raved about the car enough. Congratulations to Mercedes for a job well-done.
  • Options
    rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the info mbdriver. My car is scheduled to arrive in late October. I'll let you know how I made out.
  • Options
    livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I took a drive to my dealer today to check out the new E. I received a backhanded compliment when one of the salesmen tried to unlock my '01 E430 4Matic and give it to customer for a test drive!
    Both my wife's and my first impressions were that the new E is smaller outside than the previous version. We lined up both cars, and sure enough, the new E was longer by a nose. I think it's the curved rear pillar that evokes that illusion. The rear pillar and tail lights clearly resemble the C and S classes. The car does look handsome, but somehow, it doesn't strike me as an awesome and unique design the way the BMW 3 Series looks (to me anyway). I really like the new wheels, especially the 17 in. wheels on the E500. The front retains a strong link to the previous E class, yet manages to look more modern. The only element I didn't care for in front was the egg-crate looking grill, as the vertical slats are now chromed. I think the slats are blacked out in the Sports Package.
    Inside, the dash and interior look updated. I didn't mind the chrome strip, but my wife thought it didn't belong with wood and leather. The seats are comfortable and nice, but are missing the piping around the edges that we have. The leather was also decontented, as full leather is now an option. Some pet peeves are still there: no sensitivity adjustment on the rain sensing wipers, lack of radio station names on the display, and no underhood light. Although I don't mind a dial for the automatic temperature setting, the setpoint can only be set in 2 deg. increments, instead of 1 deg. as the W210 has. On the other hand, the car has a locking gas cap. I didn't check out the sound system.
    It appears the gas tank was moved away from behind the back seat, creating a huge trunk.
    We took an E500 with 500 miles on it for a 10 min. test drive. It immediately felt even tighter than mine. I drove it hard around a turn, enough to slightly squeal those massive 17 in. tires. The Airmatic suspension kept the car level and in full control. I tried the same turn later in my '01. It handled just fine, but leaned somewhat.
    The Sensotronic brakes were unobtrusive. They worked fine and didn't interfere with normal braking. I tried the soft stop feature, but didn't notice any difference from my car.
    On the local streets I didn't notice the 27 added horsepower over my E-430. It did, however, feel powerful and very responsive.
    The saleman indicated MB will be accepting 4Matic orders next April.
    My overall impression was that the new E Class is a winner! The Airmatic suspension and Sensotronic brakes more than compensate for some of the features missing in my car. I would also consider the Distronic speed control, even with its $3,000 price tag (and yes, I have a pilot's license, but less than 100 hr. compared to mbdriver's 6,000+).
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Well, i attended the event this morning suprised how many showed up at the early showing on a Sunday morning.

The cars: round is in, dials, gages, seat memory, headlights, ect....

The drive: the start person said "drive as hard as you want " in the E500, but after some tire squeal one person got their armband cut off promptly, o well...

The Guest: everage age 65 , and women and childen, imo would be better served going to a dealer test drive than a driving event...not exactally like the BMW ultimate challenge thats for sure.

Guest comments : "this drives better than my volvo "
    " that 320 is more power than anyone needs"

My thoughts : VDO gages very nice, however the clock is slightly bigger than the tack, tells you what this car was really designed for.

brakes very progessive and steering was solid, for a 3800 lb car , handeled very nicely. An extra 8k for the E500, hard decision, i would skip the 500 test drive and no know what i was missing ... :) That pam roof is pretty cool, everyone loved it.

What id skip: Airmatic, dont know how long it last but id just prefer springs myself.

Keyless go: again neat feature but seems like could be troublesome.

distronic: take a cab or a nap, im more aware of my driving to need that...

cool stuff: Pam roof every one loved it.

fold flat front passenget seat.

thats all for now,
    DL
  • Options
    mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    I have a E500 on order and have the CD Changer ordered also.
    Did you get warning that the CD changer would not be supplied? I hope they did not just ship your car and then tell you to take it or leave it after waiting since July to get it.

I would be very, very, unhappy if they ship my new E500 without my ordered equipment. I only put in a factory order so that I would get the car as I wanted it.

I did not order the sports package since I do not care for the black birdseye maple wood trim. I prefer the walnut look. The sports package is great on the E320.
  • Options
    maui19maui19 Member Posts: 31
    I recently got an E320 4Matic that came with Michelin Energy X MXV4 tires. I haven't been able to learn much about these tires and was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on them. Specifically, I am wondering how these are in the snow, since I am considering getting some snow tires for the winter.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rayberg7rayberg7 Member Posts: 7
    I had planned to buy another E-320 to replace the 2000 E320 I bought in the fall of 1999. But in the news this morning, it appears that Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder won re-election by promoting anti-US feeling.
    The US consumer needs to take a little butter off their bread. I have decided to keep what I have for another year or two. If US orders for German cars fell by 50 percent for a few months, maybe Schroeder might realize that he needs more than the Green party to get the German economy going. Ray Berg
  • Options
    magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    I simply don't know how you can equate the two. Gerhard Schroeder has a right to express his opinion. Doesn't change the fact that 80% of Germans don't want to help in bombing Iraq. Doesn't make them anti-US either. Just because they don't want to participate in our made up wars doesn't mean they hate us. We'll continue to buy German cars in record numbers.
  • Options
    I just returned from a 6 month holiday in Europe with much of it in Germany and France. There actually is a anti-American attitude just below the surface in many conversations. A member of Schroeder's cabinet just compared the President of the United States with Hitler, then denied it, then made a non apology.
    I have always thought highly of Germany but came back a little troubled. I am not Jewish but was amazed at the widespread open anti Jewish sentiment in todays Germany. Heard several times that all American policy is driven by the Jewish lobby. Seemed to be aimed at Clinton as well as Bush.
    Don't think I will cancel my order because I am selfish but am not very happy with what I just experienced.
    Other countries do not have to like us I guess but then we do not have to support them either.
  • Options
    magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Well, Germany is a vast and can be surprisingly diverse. There are many backwoods people in Germany, as there are in America. Sadly, any large society seems capable of hysteria and discrimination. Let's not forget we interned the japanese during World War II.

You will find a lot of people in rural or the southern US who are anti-Black, anti-Semitic, think that the government is evil, that Catholics are evil, etc. etc.

With this in mind, I don't use their ideology and viewpoint as representative of how America is like.
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Can some of you give me some feeback regarding E320's in those years. Which ones are the better ones? I know Germans make improvements under skin. like the old version 300 series were mostly improved by 94-95.

Were there teething problems with 96-97 E-320's. there are some good buys on E-bay on E320's. There was a 96 with 93K miles, the guy was willing to sell the car for $15,500.

What kind of trouble area should I look for, while examining one of these? Someone said balljoint on these cost $1500. It is hard to believe people pay that kind of money for repairs at MB dealers.

Thanks,
  • Options
    gmacostagmacosta Member Posts: 14
    how much was it to fix window problem of e class.i heard loud pop then window wont close.
  • Options
    jjsanijjsani Member Posts: 14
    I have a C320, looking next year to getting into a E320. From what I've seen the new E is fabulous looking. Reading some of the posted messages leaves me shaking my head. MB was and still is supposed to be the elite in the car industry.

How can MB release new E's and not be prepared to equip the in dash CD player or even know what nav system its going to use let alone have it available. From some of the posted messages:
    "Lack of radio station name on the display"
    "Dial for automatic temperature settings"
    "Full leather seats not standard"

Is it true that the cost for metallic paint is $1,150 (One time special Order charge), tell me its not so. If it is $1,150, can anyone tell me what's the difference in the paint from last year ($640).

I know some of you may say its small insignificant stuff, but this is not what I expect from MB.
  • Options
    mbe2003mbe2003 Member Posts: 12
    I am purchasing a E 320 and the extended warranty is currently a very hot topic for me. Can anyone tell me if the MB warranty is better than any of the others that are out there? What are the other companies that offer warranties? I see Warranty Gold, are there others that are good?

My dealer does not want to deal on the price of the extended warranty and that seems odd to me. I this an item that has room to deal on price? It seems to me that it would. I see the post about the California dealer that seems to sell at a discount. Is there any downside or risk to going with an out of state dealer to get the discount?

I would appreciate some input from those of you with more experience. I know the new E is going to be an awesome car. I also know that getting a car in the initial build can have some risks.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Options
    I disagree. All the things you mention as options are standard on the E500. They are options on the E320. This is done to give us choices and for price differences for people with different budgets and/or wants. One size does not fit all.

My E500 was ordered in August and will be built on 9/30/02. I had no problems getting my ordered accepted with the in-dash CD changer. On other boards there are plenty of posts from people who have already received cars and have the CD changer so this does not seem to be a problem. As for the DVD-Nav, there is a $500 discount for ordering it now which is what I did. I'll save some money and it will be a great system when it arrives in the first quater of next year.

To each their own. If you think MB is slipping then there are plenty of other car makers to choose from. But I'll be enjoying one of the best and safest cars on the road, the E500.
  • Options
    rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    And in addition to what rayscar pointed out, the special order paint has always carried a $1k+ extra charge. If you want Lemon Yellow, they'll be happy to give it to you. And metallic paint has always been a $600+ option.

Are you trying to troll this forum, or would you really equate lack of radio station name with lack of quality??
  • Options
    cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    I have this car with 50,000 miles and reliability has been excellent. Oil change every 4000 miles, I just switch to Syns oil Mobil 1 so that I change every 10,000 miles instead (just because I change oil myself). Changed front break pads one time, only regular maintenance so far...
  • Options
    dermartindermartin Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking about purchasing an '03 E320. The MB website recommends 91 octane fuel. I do not know what was recommended for '02 models. Have others used 89 octane and have there been any problems?
  • Options
    I was recently told by the dealer that the nav system is only discounted for leases and did not apply to financed vehicles. Can anyone advise to the contrary. I was interested in the nav especially if I can save $500 with the rebate.
  • Options
    rlsmith11rlsmith11 Member Posts: 3
    I just took delivery on a 2003 E500. What a beautiful car!!!! Best car I've ever owned. My previous one was a 99 E320....which I had no complaints with. But the new E500 is like driving an S. I was considering ordering the 320 with the sport package etc. But I'm glad I went with the power, airmatic,etc. I have the keyless go which is a nice "toy". The only thing I might want to do is get the sport wheels. The car came with the slotted 5 spoke which is standard. My dealer can't get another 500 until late December because of the demand. The other two dealers I talked to are still waiting on their first one to come in (mid to late November). Anybody else getting a better deal than list??? I paid $500 under.
  • Options
    Congrats rlsmith11!! I orderd my E500 in August. It should arrive by the end of October. My order is for MSRP. Getting $500 under that seems like a good deal to me. I have seen that price on other board posts in the last couple of days. maybe that means that MB is starting to make deals on the new E. I hope that I can get that price when my car comes too. Congrats again and keep us posted on the car and how you like it.
  • Options
    r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Performance will suffer w/ mid grade 89. It's false economy. Go w/ recommended 91.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are getting a bum steer from that dealer. I ordered a E500 with the dicounted system...not a lease. All dealers I talked to had the same program. Post 3870 from rayscar above indicates that he also ordered with the discount.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to boost his profit a little. Hopefully you have another dealer close enough to do business with. Maybe a different salesman in the same dealership?

Good luck...the discount is for real and you should have it.
  • Options
    mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    mbe2003 -- Many MB dealers refuse to negotiate for the Mercedes warranty, which is factory authorized and will allow any MB dealer in the world to honor the warranty. Buying the MB warranty from any MB dealer makes no difference at all -- Courtesy Motors in California has sold numerous warranties to people on this board. Evidently they made a decision to cut their price and go with volume, which MB accepts.

Personally, I prefer a MB warranty backed by MB that allows for repairs at any MB dealer.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    babyjockobabyjocko Member Posts: 8
    Kudos to the Germans!
  • Options
    babyjockobabyjocko Member Posts: 8
    Your dealer told you that the Command system discount is only for leases? Your method of payment doesn't even have anything to do with the order. So, there is no way that he can justify that when you are ordering your car. Sounds like he is trying to rip you off. I seriously doubt that he really understands it that way. The MBUSA memo is clear and concise.
  • Options
    franman23franman23 Member Posts: 4
    My understanding is that certain production dates had problems with the CD changer supply. I'm not sure if it's still a problem. If you have a copy of the e-class catalog, there is actually a footnote with the CD changer option on the last page that mentions possible delayed availability. You may want to confirm with your dealer if it is a major issue for you. I was disappointed not getting the changer, but I love the car regardless.
  • Options
    sezme2sezme2 Member Posts: 4
    Drove the E500/320 at the local "E-Motion" event sponsored by MB last weekend. The 500, with the advanced shocks, nearly drove as nicely as my 2002 540iA, though it feels a bit more cumbersome. The interior seemed more complex (a good thing IMO), and slightly larger, with a more comfortable seat for the driver.

The E320 seemed like a lumbering turtle in comparison. I was completely underwhelmed by its unresponsiveness cornering, and it's lag time at the throttle.

If you are looking for utmost performance (handling, road feel, and confidence behind the wheel), I am more impressed with the 540i Bimmer, though the MB E500 impressed me as no slouch puppy.
  • Options
    Hi sezme2. I have Directv and on one of the PBS channels, I think it was 961 (WHUT) this past Saturday at 12:30, there was a car show called European Car Magazine. They compared the 2003 E500 with the 2003 BMW 540i and the Jaguar S-Type V8. They said that the 540i had set the standard in the class but after this test they picked the E500. It won virtually every category. At least until the new 5 series is released, I think the E500 is the car to beat. This is first comparison test I've seen between the cars. It will be interesting to see hwo future tests come out. You have your opinion and I have mine but this is from an independent third party. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    rlittle1rlittle1 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned by new E320 for a month now, after driving a BMW 528 for 4 years and a 300E for 12 years prior to purchasing the BMW. Some observations:

The new e class, while evolutionary, is a much nicer looking car - more aggressive, sleeker and more harmonious from front to rear. Does not drive quite as responsively as the BMW, but close - feels more substantial and quiet - throttle response not quite as quick, but quick enough.

The build quality is much better than previous efforts from Mercedes. In fact, the interior is nicer than the S-Class - the trunk is also bigger than the S-class and I would think there could be downward migration for S-class customers looking for a different combination of luxury and performance.

Mercedes got most of the little details right - small ergonomic touches, dash layout, trip computer, all intuitive and done in a high quality design - I think the gauges are much better looking (though perhaps conservative) than the luminescent gauges (as in Lexus) in the S-Class.

Overall, the car drives great, feels very solid, very warm and comfortable interior and looks both classy and sporty. Much more appealing than the direction BMW has chosen with the new 7 and upcoming 5 series changes.
  • Options
    Hi rlittle1. Did you get the sports package with the 320? If not it probably doesn't handle as well as the E500 and maybe that is why you didn't think it was as responsive as the bimmer. Just curious. Enjoy the car!
  • Options
    I went back to dealer to order the nav system for the 2003 E500 sport and was informed that infact there is a $500 discount if you order the system now, but it has to be retrofit at a later date. That date might not be until march or april of 2003. I guess the salesman was misinformed. Thanks to all for the input, the nav system is a must especially if you do alot of traveling. I also seen an E500 sport at the dealer and it was a "sharp looking car". The ground effects and rims really add alot to the vehicle's appearance.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I saw that very same show, it was Auto, Motor und Sport TV. A TV version of the magazine in Germany. It's a great show, don't miss it.

M
  • Options
    rlittle1rlittle1 Member Posts: 2
    Ray - did not get the airmatic suspension/sport package - i am quite pleased with the standard e320 - quite possible the e500 matches or surpasses the BMW 540i, though.

I think the e320 offers an ideal blend of comfort and performance, very quiet and solid, responsive without being harsh. Just a very comfortable car!
  • Options
    rlittle1 I ordered the E500 in August. It should be built on 9/30 and arrive in late October according to my dealer. I'm getting the pano roof, DVD-Nav, rear sunshade, HK sound system, E1 (bi-xenon lights and washers), factory CD changer, and E4 (folding rear seats).
  • Options
    tendons1tendons1 Member Posts: 12
    Do you know if there is a pass-through from the trunk? I've seen only pictures showing both rear and front seats down, but not a picture from the trunk through to the front. Stewart
  • Options
    tendons1, yes there is a pass through to the trunk. With this option, the front passenger seat also folds flat so MB says you can carry something 9-10 feet long. There may be a ski bag too but I'm not sure about that
  • Options
    et610et610 Member Posts: 40
    The rear seat does fold and is a pass thru from the trunk.

I ordered the E500 with the cd changer, heated front seat, E1 package, E2 package, multicontour
    seats, parktronic and "287 Launch Promotion/Split Fold Down Rear Seats" for a "launch promotion" price of $100.

rayscar: Hopefully you got the $100. price and did not pay the full tariff. Your dealer should have pointed it out...but then maybe not. Probably not too late if what you ordered is the same thing.

Hope to catch the TV program on PBS if I have not already missed it.
  • Options
    mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    rayscar - Congrats on your new E! The extras you ordered seem idea -- pano roof, DVD-Nav, rear sunshade, HK sound system, E1 (bi-xenon lights and washers), factory CD changer, and E4 (folding rear seats). I assume you paid MSRP - can you tell us what the total cost was?

Let us know how you like the car when it's delivered.
  • Options
    tendons1, yes there is a pass through to the trunk. With this option, the front passenger seat also folds flat so MB says you can carry something 9-10 feet long. There may be a ski bag too but I'm not sure about that
  • Options
    I will be paying MSRP. Think it comes to around $60K without taxes tags, etc.
  • Options
    Just curious, any reason why you didn't get the E3 (sport package) in the vehicle you ordered; its apx $1375 and does include the items in the E1 package. You also get sharper rims, tires, and interior gauges.
  • Options
    I don't like the birdseye trim. I like the burl trim better. There is no wood on the shifter with the sports package and the tires are actually a 1/2 inch smaller than the standard tires, albeit the sports tires are higher performance. I didn't like the front apron as much on the sports package either. The suspension is the same on the base 500 and the sports 500. I like the standard rims better than the sports rims. So even though the incremental cost is small between the base 500 with the E1 and the sports 500, I didn't like what you get with the sports package. It's a matter of taste rather of cost for me.
  • Options
    et610et610 Member Posts: 40
    I did not order the sports package either because of the black birdseye trim on the interior. The price was not the factor just a matter of choice.

Actually I did also get the Navigation system. Would have liked the distonic cruise control but the $3000. was a little much for something I might not use much.

I did get $1000. discount off from msrp (with much shopping) and the price before tags and tax was $64,500. including the gas guzzler and luxury tax. Without the discount it would be about $65,500.
  • Options
    Can anyone advise if adding the heated steering wheel option on the 2003 E500 changes the appearance of the wheel or is that only if you order the wood/leather wheel option. I know on the Bmw 5 series ordering the sport package precludes you from the heated steering because of the M type sport steering wheel.
  • Options
    ilxmanilxman Member Posts: 25
    As an enthusiastic Audi S4 owner, I suspect my dissenting comments will ignite a firestorm of responses if my experience with BMW owners is any indication. I chose my 2001 S4 after test-driving the BMW 330 Ci and E36 M3 (the new M3 hadn't been released yet). The reason I didn't even bother to drive a C-class is because only the AMG-level MB's are comparable in performance and then cost too much on top of that. But in every case, across the product line, the BMW has always been judged the superior driver's car by that part of the automotive fraternity I trust, so I didn't see any point.

Now, in the particular case of the S4, I found it could do everything the old M3 could do, but Audi chose to give it a more luxurious orientation. Hence, there was more body roll in the S4--though not excessive--and thus it felt less "sporty" than the razor's edge M3. However, the M3 was less comfortable, and felt twitchy (though always in control) on the imperfect streets of the real world. The new E46 chassis on the 330 Ci made it feel no less sporty, but now it felt less like riding on the razor's edge. But the 330 just didn't have the power I craved. The S4 was the perfect all-around, all-weather high-performance luxury machine. I have done some racing with my machine on the track--once in a driving rainstorm, with standing water on the track!--and confirmed that this machine sticks like glue in any weather and without any heroic efforts; basically, point-and-shoot...like a bat out of Hades with those twin turbos.

All of which brings me to the E-class. MB invited me to drive their product at an E-motion event here in Chicago. Yes, I realize that the E320 and E500 sedans I drove are more logically competitors of the base Audi A6 and the A6 4.2. But with marriage on the horizon, I decided it was time to take a look at larger sedans.

My impressions? First note that my driving experiences at closed track time trials involved not just going around an oval, but have instead been F1-style courses with a zillion turns plus cones to make the usable driving lane even narrower--hence the difficulty level has been ridiculously high. While I have driven my S4 through courses like that in standing water(!), so have my fellow A6 owners at various Audi Club events. So I have some basis of comparison, if not an actual A/B comparison.

The 320 was extremely disappointing! The steering was vague; there was little "feel" or "connection" with the road; the supposedly superior braking technology wasn't impressive at all. I wiped out a few cones on the kindergarten-level "slalom" because the handling and steering were so vague. [The monitors of the event anfrily told me to slow down next time--even though I wasn't going all that fast in the first place!] The term "precision hadling" just didn't apply. The 500 was more enjoyable to drive--easily the superior machine. But I still couldn't get past the vague steering and lack of road feel. Yes, both cars were smooth, quiet, comfortable and luxurious (esp. the 500). But after being optioned to death, the 500 would cost something approaching a BMW M5's price--and we all know the M5 (and the new Audi RS6) are the world's greatest sedans, don't we?

OK, it is true I am comparing apples to oranges; the correct comparisons would be the A6 and A6 4.2 models. But as I noted previously, the A6 owners I've observed at Audi Club track events seem to be able to do things with their cars that these MB's can't match. But I must admit that I have not personally driven the A6 models. But I DID drive a 2000 BMW 530i sedan...and my recollection is that it would positively spank either of these models in a serious handling test. I see some posters point to a euro TV show which says the MB's can best the Bimmers. Well, I'll wait to read some in-depth comparisons in the rags. But everything I've read in the past always and everywhere put the Bimmer ahead of the MB in every product category, with the sometimes exception at the S-class level.

What is my point? If there are any prospective MB purchasers out there, you owe it to yourself to drive competing BMW models--and drive both cars HARD, then see which you prefer. [Remember, that's coming from a non-BMW owner.] If you can get over the lack of vanity appeal, you also need to drive Audi models. And add Lexus for that matter, if a more luxurious orientation is your thing. The main problem I have with MB is marketing related. MB has gone down over the years with quality control and has clearly lost the high-performance edge to BMW. Then they still try to price as it they're the superior machine. For example, a head-to-head pitting the new M3 against AMG's best CLK55 yielded a decisive win for the M3 (things like the AMG losing control of the back end in turns much more easily than the M3, etc., contributing to the loss). Yet the M3 costs fully one third less money! My 6-speed 2001 S4 can spank a 2003 CL500, MB's premier GT, yet it costs less than half the money. Again, the M3 will destroy the new SL500 "sports" car...for one third less money. Well, what you MB owners will call "pride of ownership" to justify the price umbrella, I call "rip-off".

Mercedes does have nice interiors and leading-edge technology. But I found the interior to be too confusing, non-inuitive, and more importantly, not focused on the DRIVER. Having 100 cool buttons all over the place to play with is not my idea of a driver's machine. But I admit it sure looks cool. Ultimately, I prefer Audi's sense of the interior environment, and BMW's to a lesser extent. As for technology, I'd still rather have the BMW 5-series' brakes. Or better yet, on a rain/snow-slicked road I'll take Audi's quattro+braking system.

Perhaps I was not able to fully take the measure of the MB's abilities under the controlled driving conditions at the event. But the experience merely left me more convinced that BMW and Audi are the luxury/performance marques to beat, and that Lexus is the way way to go if I go soft and want more luxury. My impression of Mercedes-Benz as an overpriced-for-what-you-get luxury/performance laggard to BMW (and Audi in selected models) was only confirmed today. Perhaps the automotive press will convince me I should have another look...but I doubt it. Have at it gentlemen (and ladies)!
  • Options
    ilxmanilxman Member Posts: 25
    Am I the only one who thinks the rear end of the new E-Class looks way too common? I'm thinking Ford Taurus, Infinity Q45, etc.
  • Options
    I find it very difficult that anyone would set the new record for the longest post....all about how much he dislikes the MB. A very long and rambling expression of his personal dislikes and opinions.

I wonder what would cause such an obvious phobia about MB. Maybe his dog got ran over by a Mercedes.

I can't imagine going to the Audi board or the BMW board and explaining to everyone there what idiots they are for buying that vehicle. I guess some people get kicks out of confronting and insulting other people.
  • Options
    brightnessbrightness Member Posts: 40
    The same can be said if Audi S4 were compared to a Subaru WRX STi, if not the stock WRX. A smaller car with shorter wheel base and less weight should have an edge in handling. The $15k Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda motorcycles are probably the best handling and best accelearating things on the road, and off-road, hopping up and down places where the S4 would be high-centered, and between cones that the S4 would not be able to physically fit through, all for one third the price!

C32AMG acquits itself quite well against M3. For street driving, I'd much prever C32AMG because of the massive torque advantage. People buy horsepowers, but drive torques.
This discussion has been closed.