Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• et610et610 Member Posts: 40
    rayscar new E-500 is at the Dealer and he picks it up on Thursday....excellent news for Ray.

Give us a rundown after you pick it up.

Ed
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    My dealer says they should get the car tomorrow and deliver it to me Thursday afternoon. I'll keep you posted. I can't wait!
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Prabinek: I have the parktronic on my ML500 and love it. It works perfect for me. If you hit a wall within the beeping time, you were going too fast; surely you knew there was a wall close to your car. I wouldn't want the parktronic to constantly beep. I just watch the light indicator and usually stop before it hits the red section (when the beeping starts).

Topdog047: My 2000 E430 has had no problem with holding water on the hood venting area. It rains a lot where I keep this car and no build up. I get it washed at the local car wash and there are no unusual water spots on the hood area when driving home.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • prabinekprabinek Member Posts: 6
    Page 214 of the E & S Class Operator's manual states the following with regard to Warning Indicators:
    "Rear area: An intermittent acoustic warning will sound when the first segment lights up. This signal quickens with each additional segment lit. When the eighth segment illuminates, the acoustic warning becomes a constant signal. The signal is canceled when the selector lever is placed in position D or P."
    Some of the responses to my posting seem to indicate that they, like me, hear only the last second signal and not the signal from the time the first segment lights up. Could I ask the respondents for a more exact description of when they first hear the audible signal in relation to the light indicators.
    Thank you.
    I would like to hear from users also as to when they hear the audible signal.

I seem to remember that, when test driving the E500 with the Parktronic, the sound came on when the amber segment first lit up and then be more constant until the red segment when it was constant.

I am still waiting for my E-500 so can't check it out yet but would like to know how it is supposed to work. The manual says it works like I remember.

Ed
    My understanding is the same as et610 in post #4161
    Sorry, I can't check the ML500 parktronic at them moment. I keep it at different residence. If I'm not mistaken, I only hear it beep when it hits the red section. Works fine for me.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Check it out on "Home" page

Most wanted sedan over $45,000 MBz E-SERIES
    Horrible mention Lexus LS 430

Most wanted Sedan under $45,000 BMW 5-series
    Honorable Mention Infinity

Just thought I would mention this tidbit.
  • alirobalirob Member Posts: 17
    Mercedes owners should be alerted to the following extremely dangerous situation: A few weeks ago my mercedes dealer replaced all the rusting chrome wheel bolts (lugs) on my 2000 E320 wagon with the newer gray colored version. Yesterday, after about 700 miles with the new bolts, I happened to bend down near the left rear wheel and noticed that only 2 of the 5 bolts were still in place. Of the 2 remaining, one was about halfway unscrewed. Checking the opposite rear wheel, I noticed that all the bolts were loose. The bolts on the front wheels were apparently still tight. I immediately drove (rather slowly) to the dealer who told me that he had seen this spontaneous loosening happen on other E models with the new bolts. Question: where is the notification from Mercedes on such a potentially life threatening situation? Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    My Parktronic sounds an audible warning when the first red bar lights up. There are no audible warnings when any of the amber bars are lit. It is working according to the instructions in the manual (p. 226).
    Alirob, I've never heard of the situation that you are talking about. Rusting is not a problem in my area (just a few hundred miles north of you). Granted, I'm going to check my bolts today to see if any are loose or missing.

I hope the bolts that came off your E-class didn't damage your paint.

M.
  • dbirzondbirzon Member Posts: 3
    Our new 2002 E-320 wagon has a loud buzzing sound that eminates from the bottom of the driver's side windshield at speeds of 65+mph. It is not a vibrating windshield wiper, but beyond that, we can't pinpoint the source. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    I haven't heard about this before. Actually, I've never had a lug bolt (or nut) come loose on any of my cars (incl. my '96 E320 with grey bolts), if it was torqued to spec.

With all due respect, are you sure that the dealer torqued the bolts correctly to begin with ?

(I didn't see a TSB on AllData for this kind of condition.)
    Is there a web site with the Tech Service Bulletins posted?

AllData...a web site?
    Yes, try www.alldata.com. It's a subscription based service. You can look at the TSB titles for free, but you have to pay a (reasonable) subscription fee to read them.
    Edmunds also show TSB's. Go to the home page and go to the bottom of the page and click on maintenance. I check on the E500. None listed so far.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    The new E is only 'Most Wanted' by Edmunds Editors, not the buying public shopping for cars on a lot. They are moving very, very slowly on the lots here in Boston. That means you can shop for a deal and should expect a good discount to MSRP.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I'm curious about the source of your information about the new E-Class NOT being the choice of the buying public. Is that situation widespread? And how do you know they're moving slowly in Boston? Is that a personal observation, and if so, what is it based on?
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    I think it is the economy.

I noticed in NY dealers are advertising with more price agreessiveness that you would not have seen
    2 or 3 years ago.
    Ummm...I don't know. I think that there is more to this than meets the eye. New E (like current S) is a glitzy car, designed 'pre-tech' stock market bubble crash. Maybe its style is out of touch with the times and value out of whack with its price.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It's amazing how easily something gets drummed up in when it comes to Mercedes-Benz, now watch the sales figures say the exact opposite. One lot where the E's may or may not be moving fast (no data to support that theory either way) doesn't equal a crisis. The dealers here have none on their lots, so I guess that means their "sold out" right?

M
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    Well dbirzon, I don't have any way of knowing if what I experienced is the same as you but two days ago I noticed the most irritating buzzing sound. I was getting pretty worked up. Then I recalled hearing the same thing twice last year. During the fall I get the occasional leaf caught in the lower left or lower right corner of the windshield, where the windshield meets the fender and the seam of the hood. At highway speeds it actually creates a buzzing sound you can just barely hear in the passenger compartment. For me, all I had to do was remove the leaf.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Regards,
    BigRob.
    footie is a troll. Don't feed him. He interjects the occasional bait of a good deal can be found at x. Most of the time, he's just trolling MB owners.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I can't say whether the new E is "moving" off the lots or not, but I was at my dealers a couple days ago and he had about 6 onsite and available. A customer was there who was deciding on which color so one is gone by now. My salesman did say that they have been busy. Didn't say whether it was due to the E. He did say that they can't get nearly enough SL's to sell..

I seem to recall seeing some ads or editorials stating that the new E has more room than the W210. I do not believe that it does. I had a problem with the E that I sat in the other day, with the headroom. It is definitely less than in my 96 E. Both have sunroofs. If I am to buy a new E, it will have to be without the sunroof. I have the same problem with the S, but since the sunroof is not an option on the S, I'll never own the new S.. On the other hand my wife's Toyota Matrix has tons of headroom, shoulder room, knee room, etc... At least the new E got rid of that imposing right knee bolster on the driver's side that is so irritating in my 96 E...! Otherwise, it was very comfortable and the steering wheel seems to have more adjustment range than my 96 does. But, is it part of the memory positioning like on the W210?
  • bruin2bruin2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 E-430. (that's right, a 2002 which I prefered to the 2003 E500 which I test drove) Anyway, what can one do to upgrade the radio if anything? Can it be replaced, or would adding a subwoofer do much? Actually, it just doesn't seem real crisp? Its not bad, its just that my son's premium Pioneer radio in his Explorer sport is better than this one in the Mercedes ( Oh, and I didn't find the one in the E5oo to much to shout about either)
    I figured as much, thanks.

M
    Trolling? I don't think so. I think that folks that are looking for a good deal on one of these and can shop in the Boston area ought to be able to get a substantial discount.

To eliminate the 'theory' assessment, here's the pointers to Boston's two largest dealerships with public inventory. Smaller stores only show used and starmark inventory.

I checked Herb Chambers in Boston. Their online inventory is from two lots, one in Brookline and one in Cambridge, MA.

www.herbchambers.com, their intro pages has a search inventory function you can't miss. Click it and select E class.

Here's what they show right now:

2002 E320 Sedans 7
    2002 E320 Wagons 2
    2003 E320 Sedans 38
    2003 E320 Wagons 3
    2003 E500 Sedans 17

Clair Motors, Dedham MA ( Southwest of Brookline by about 7 miles ).

Their home page has a triangle shape with MB at the top. Click it and when you get to the MB page, select All models.

2002 E320 Sedans 4
    2002 E320 Wagons none
    2002 E430 Sedan 1
    2002 E55 Sedan 2
    2003 E320 Sedans 9
    2003 E320 Wagons none
    2003 E500 Sedans 6

If you are shopping for a 02 or 03 Benz, both of these dealerships seem to have very good selections.

My friend at Herb Chambers says that they have virtually every "typical mix" of E engine, interior, exterior, and option package array.
    I think you've given yourself away as a troll. Are you aware that there are NO 2003 E-Class wagons and that they won't be introduced until the 2004 model year? Yet you list three (3) 2003 E320 Wagons on one lot and none on the other.

Furthermore, in-stock inventory at a huge dealership in a major metropolitan area proves nothing about alleged slow sales of the 2003 models. You have yet to offer anything substantial in this forum.
    Of course there are 2003 E class wagons. Go look at the MB Site. They may not be the NEW E, but they are 2003 E Class wagons.

Here ya go:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=E320S

I do believe that the words right under the picture of the station wagon say:

"The 2003 E320 Wagon"

For the record, as I pointed out in the post, the Herb Chambers numbers are spread over 2 dealerships, which makes their numbers similar to Clair's.

These are just the three largest dealerships in the 20th largest metropolitan area in the country.

The point is, so it's clear, is that you can get a DEAL here, unless you just love paying list for a car, and waiting months for it to arrive.

It's tempting to say something judgemental here, but hey, facts have this ability to speak for themselves.

Ok, but does the fact that the dealers have some in stock mean they aren't selling? No. The E (and C) are the volume Mercedes, they're supposed to have a good selection.

M
    http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm?NewsID=2021101.005&Page=1

"Boosted by the recent launch of the all-new E-Class, the model line led October sales volume with 5,265 units sold in the month, a 72.1 percent increase over October 2001."

M

• chopper6chopper6 Member Posts: 1
    How on earth does one set the analog clock on the 320E 2003? The computer clock I get-but the manual doesn't even reference the regular clock on instrument panel...
  • wilflstswilflsts Member Posts: 3
    Setting the clock on the 2003 E Series is done from your setting's menu. When you are setting the clock you will be setting both the analog and digital. It's under the (SET TIME/DATE) Function. It took me about 5 minutes to set it. Not very easy the first time.
  • jim256jim256 Member Posts: 14
    FYI, I had a few mis-steps setting the clock from the instrument display "Settings" menu, too, until I slowed down and read what it was telling me: after you enter the time on the digital display, you must press the "R" button (trip odometer/reset button) to confirm it. I missed that "R" step and so I was pressing the steering wheel buttons to proceed, but nothing happened.
  • mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    A highly favorable article on the new E-series

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/veh...f_1028feat.html

Worth reading for Mercedes Owners and fans.

I agree with merc1's post 4186 -- there may be a 2003 E-Class wagon (in W210 "clothing"), but the inventory at a high volume dealer proves nothing. You yourself mentioned that other smaller dealers have virtually no 2003 E-Class on hand.

How 'bout some facts to back up your outlandish assertion about slow 2003 E-Class sales?
  • clark217clark217 Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone done an oil change or seen one described on a 1997 E-420. I've read the 2 DIYs on changing oil on Mercedesshop.com which I think are both describing changes on E-320s. I think the 1st DIY instruction is the closest to the E-420 since what looks like the oil filter housing has the 13mm bolt head on the top, but there are no instructions on removing the whole air filter housing which is necessary to access the oil filter. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    If I said that smaller dealerships don't have any inventory, I truly mispoke.

Smaller dealerships tend to use the Mercedes generated website format which specifically prevents you from finding out what they have in stock.

For example it appears that the other MB dealers in the Boston area, Foreign Motors West, Wagner Motors, LewBar here in Ma and Viti in Rhode Island, all have the Mercedes standard website. They could have 0 or 20 03 E's in stock, who knows!

I'll stop by Foreign Motors tomorrow and walk their back lot to see what's in stock and give everyone an update.

Plus I can check to see how many W210 03 Wagons they have...
  • cityscapex5cityscapex5 Member Posts: 14
    Im constantly amazed when i read MB Message Boards how people are in denial that MB's can be aquired for less than full MSRP - i know that there are a few car salesmen who participate in forums out of self interest but i don't understand why educated consumers takes it so personally that dealers can and do discount - E's have been out for almost a year in other parts of the world and MB has to ship substantial volume of these car's to justify the investment and keep its market share figures up. Given the stiff premium for these vehicles and the fact that there's less .Com, Stock Option, Enron, Worldcom shareholders tripping over themselves overpaying for these cars in the volume MB requires. Most people are just hanging on to their jobs - forget bonuses, raises. Just because you know the sales manager's first name and he tells you these things are flying off the lot doesnt mean you have to believe him.
    In reference to the "old style" 2003 E-class wagons, they do exist because I saw several at Fletcher Jones Mercedes-Benz in Newport Beach California. Also, the 2003 CLK cabriolet is in the old style too.

Just my .02 worth. Mark
    I'm constantly amazed when I read in MB Message Boards that some people assert that MB's can NOT be acquired for less than full MSRP. They can! Maybe I missed something, but the comment by footsie was that the E-Class isn't selling well because a volume dealer in Boston has a large inventory.

No educated consumers I know are taking it personally that MB dealers can and do discount. In fact, I'd be shocked if I couldn't get a 2003 E-Class for less than MSRP. My experience is that very few automotive models of any make actually command MSRP, and if they do it's often a temporary situation based on supply and demand (remember the situation when the Honda Oddysey first came out?). Just because someone says that a dealer has a large inventory doesn't mean you have to believe him when he says that sales are slow.
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    I am not interested in trying to stir any debate here - so let's not go there!

I am new to considering and learning about MB - so bear with me please! I am narrowing down my search and have decided on a 530/540 BMW, and have now come across 2 2001 CPO E430's on a local lot! Both have 13K miles on them, one has the Sport package - and both are priced around 44K. According to both Edmunds and KBB those are pretty good prices!

The cars look beautiful - both of them. Are they as awesome to drive and own as they appear. I will be putting 30K miles on one per year!

My other concern - and no offense to anyone here - is how will I look driving one at age 38!! The only reason I say that is because I never see anyone under 45/50 driving a MB 4-door!

Help me see the light please!
  • billfalikbillfalik Member Posts: 4
    I own a BMW 740 and my lease is up. I am debating between a BMW 540 and a Mercedez E class 500. I am interested in any comparisons. I have a particular interest in the GPS and the cell phone systems as well as the driving experience.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Both the bmw and mb are fast and prestigious cars. Apparently, you don't have a preference based on appearance or your own test drive. Your image won't be tarnished be either. I believe bmw has a younger demographic base. Are you trying to impress some young lady with your car?
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    The 2000/2002 E430 is a beautiful car to drive. I have a 2000 E430 that I bought for my wife and enjoy every minute that my wife gives me the chance to drive it. You mention that you will be driving it about 30K per year and given that kind of mileage you should be aware that you will be getting only about 20K on a set of tires. Mileage will be helped by keeping no less than 36 psi in them and will deprecate the quality of ride just slightly. The tires on the E430 are 17" and the tires are low profile high performance and tend to be made of a soft compound. When warm they are very sticky on the road providing top performance but less than the kind of mileage that most people are used to. My wife only has 18K on her car and we expect to get maybe 2-3K more before they are replaced. It currently has Goodyear F1's on it and would not recommend them to anyone else as they are very noisy. I'm just now starting to nose around to see if there aren't better mileage tires that are also quiet. I don't need tires that are rated for 150 plus MPH.
    Wally
    I'm 37 and have driven my E320 for 18 months. I believe that the E class could sell on looks alone. When they did the re-design to the W210 and the "eyes" first showed up, I fell in love. The W210 is the most beautiful sedan I've ever seen (IMHO). That fact that it's rock solid to drive and has great convenience and safety features is almost like icing.

The BMW is a world class vehicle in its own right and has many pros/cons and, in fact, probably beats an E-Class in many categories. However, just LOOK at a black E-class that's been freshly detailed. WOW. Do I care that a 530 can beat me from the stop sign by a second? Nope. That will happen 10 months out of the year. When the snow falls, I get to drive my 4matic safely...you don't want to be driving a RWD car in NH in the winter...regardless of snow tires/traction control.

How will you look? I don't know. I get plenty of complements (on my car). The teachers at the day care center always make comments to my 8 month old about how he gets to ride to school in style. My wife won't drive it as she thinks she's going to get carjacked or something. So in her opinion you'll look like a target. :-)

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    You are correct - these two E430's look 100% awesome!!

Check them out please at Napletonautogroup.com and let me know what you think! The website says they are 47-48K, but they are down to 44-45K in the local paper! Wonder why?

As for looks - married with 3 kids so I am not trying to impress any young lady!!

Insight is appreciated!
    I bought my E320 at age 30. I tried to qualify for the senior citizen discount at the drive-through at the local McD's. It didn't work. ;)

But seriously,it's a great car, and while I would consider it beautiful, it's styling is certainly conservative. I wouldn't worry about the image, especially as you really don't have to impress anybody.

On the other hand, the opposite is much worse, e.g. a 55-year-old in a Mazda Miata.
  • mtraumanmtrauman Member Posts: 6
    I am currently 36 years old. I have a 2001 S500 & a 2000 ML320. Age to me is not relevant. I owned my first Benz at the age of 29 (in 1995 I purchased a 1987 300E with 108000 miles only to sell it for a new 1998 E320 4Matic in 1998). BMW's are great cars as well as Mercedes. I simply prefer the MB. Just thought I would give my 2 cents.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I can't tell from those pictures, but if they have a sport model, it will look somewhat less conservative. I love that desert silver.

Wally, I too am driving on a set of terrible Goodyear F1s. Let me know how your research is going about replacement tires. The F1s let you take corners at 100mph, but they are the noisiest tires I have ever heard short of a dump truck. I hate them.
This discussion has been closed.