Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    Dzuba, with three kids, the E class has considerably more room in the rear seat. If you want to make your car sportier (and handle better) consider spending $500 and installing Eibach springs. This lowers the car about 1.25" giving it a more aggressive look and helps with control in cornering and at high speed.

Also, tires make a HUGE difference in the ride of a car, as much as shocks and more than springs. I have the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso from Luke at Tirerack. They are absolutely quiet, great in rain, and are very sticky. They are supposed to last 25k miles. I have 5k on mine and marvel at the tight yet comfortable ride in comparison to the original Michelin and the very hard and noisy Dunlop 8000 I had last.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Wniel, I heard the Michelin pilots are the tires to buy for the E430's. Mine has the Goodyears that are noisy like yours. I have 18,000 miles on my 2000 E430 sport. I have 9,000 miles on my '02 ML500 and they are wearing perfectly. I should get 40,000 easy on those.

Dzuba, I was trying to remember when I purchased my first Mercedes... it was in 1993, I bought a 1991 560 SEL with the rear foot rests... cool car! I was 35.

Happy Motoring! Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    I love the cars, especially the 01 E430 I saw - it looks awesome. So it sounds as if I will need new tires almost once a year if I am driving 30K miles per year, but that would be the same as with a 530/Sport. Does MB offer CPO on their used cars - guessing yes!
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    You don't have to get such aggressive tires as the P-Zeros. I'm using all-season tires (Pirelli P6) on my Benz, and Michelin Pilots on my BMW, which I (sometimes) drive more aggressively.

Depending on your driving style, you should be able to get 60K miles out of a set of tires.

Yes, Mercedes has a CPO, it's called Starmark.
  • mgriffin4mgriffin4 Member Posts: 5
    Deals are out there for the 2003 E-Class. I just ordered a new E320 for $800 over invoice, which includes a $600 advertising charge. That amounted to about $2,500 below MSRP. I'll bet there are even better deals to be had if you work at it.

I shopped around. Most dealers wouldn't come off MSRP. I finally found one on the web and dealt with their Internet purchasing agent over the phone. Fortunatly they were the dealer down the street from me.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    There are certainly deals to be had. We got a great one on our new 2003 E500. I just have to keep my husband from driving it all the time!

It is a great, well built, solid car in all respects. We had the 96 E class, and the new 2003's are much improved in every respect. I also feel it has much more interior room than the outgoing model. The person that felt headroom was an issue, did you lower the seat? I know it's a simple question, but I can't believe you felt the old model felt roomier.
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    There are two 2001 E430's on my local dealers lot. Both have about 13-15K miles on them and are Starmark vehicles. One of them has the Sport Package. Both are closely priced as well, $45,800 vs. 44,800 for the Sport. The Sport being less expensive. Any feedback on how nice the Sport ride is or is not?
  • mgriffin4mgriffin4 Member Posts: 5
    Deals are out there for the 2003 E-Class. I just ordered a new E320 for $800 over invoice, which includes a $600 advertising charge. That amounted to about $2,500 below MSRP. I'll bet there are even better deals to be had if you work at it.

I shopped around. Most dealers wouldn't come off MSRP. I finally found one on the web and dealt with their Internet purchasing agent over the phone. Fortunatly they were the dealer down the street from me.
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    The last few posts here have asked about alternatives to the F1's. I, too, had the F1's and hated the noise they make. Despite my having the E430 4-Matic on my 2000 E-Class, the F1's were positively scary in the snow (my driving is in MA and NH, mostly). I bought Blizzaks on AMG rims and swapped out the wheels/tires the first winter, and have done this since.

The blizzaks, are, paradoxically, quieter than the F1's! I keep the tranny switch on "W" when the Blizzaks are on, since treadlife for winter tires is also less than all season jobbies.

After the comparison, I couldn't wait for the F1's to wear out, which they finally did. When this happened, I switched over to Bridgestone Potenza S-03's. Rain perfomance matches the F1's reasonably well, they are MUCH quieter, and cheaper, to boot. The tread design isn't as sexy, but who really cares? I've done all my tire purchasing for this car from www.tirerack.com and have had good service from them. Most local tire dealers do not stock tires appropriate for the E430 performance, and tirerack gets you tires much faster than special order from any of the normal local sources, I found.

I notice that Goodyear is advertising a new F1 design here in the states. In the photo, the "parabolic" grooves in the tread are much more "streamlined" on the U.S. versions than those that came on the car. Perhaps they're quieter, but who would want to bother doing the experiment!

On an entirely different subject, comparing the E-Class with the BMW 5-series: to me, at least, there really isn't a comparison. I'm a 6-footer and occasionally have more than two passengers of similar size. The 5-series is much smaller inside than the E-Class, to say nothing of the trunk, and the E-Class is designed for the 95th-percentile male adult. The 5-series seems much smaller than the E-Class, which may partially account for it's sporty aura. And, so far as I know, the AWD option is not available on the BMW. Thus, disqualified before considered, at least for me. Just another opinion for the discussion, of course.

• sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Care to share the dealer your referring to?

Thanks
  • wstehwsteh Member Posts: 8
    I'm coming from two Lexus', the loss of the second unfortunately not my choice.

The new E Class seems to be the perfect car, especially since I won't buy a car with a sunroof.

However, does anyone know if the E320/E500 are available with a fold down rear seat? Most of the magazine tests mention this option, but the MBUSA website does not.

Thanks.
    Wsteh, yes, the new E has a the fold down rear seat as an option.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    The Sport package consists of larger tires, wheels, and body cladding. Otherwise the ride is the same (aside from the tire influence). This is an expensive option. I wonder why the non-sport is listed for less. What other options does each car have at that dealer?

CCE182: Thanks for the tire opinion.
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    I love the early to mid nineties Mercedes-Benz E-classes. Everything about this car, is everything that Mercedes-Benz stands for. I am currently looking for a 1994 or 1995 300 coupe if anyone knows of any in good condition, I would greatly appreciate a response. These magnificent cars are hard to come by.
    Zach, they might be hard to come by because they are called "320" coupes/sedan for 1994 and 1995..... :o)

M.
  • wstehwsteh Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Mark, I've been saying for 4 years that my next car would have an active cruise control. The new E seems to be the perfect car, meeting every single one of my requirements.

Maybe it's time for a test drive!!

Wayne
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    After driving my E500 for 800 miles, here are my impressions:

The car is very smooth, fast, quiet, and solid felling. It handles great. I have notice a slight drift to the right. Not sure it is the problem that other have posted about. There is no ticking noise on my car or any problems. On mostly a highway trip, I averaged 24.9 mpg. Not bad considering a big V8 and i was going between 55 and 75 mph most of the way.

The HK sound system is very nice but not as good as i imagined it would be. I'd like to see more ability to adjust the sound to my personal taste (other than base & tremble and some other minor options).

The cup holders are way to small and not designed well. I guess Europeans don't "get" the cup holder thing.

The wipers worked great on my trip. They did not skip or jump and were very quiet.

The standard seats are very comfortable. I was in them for 4-5 hours at a time and they still felt good.

The fit and finish is excellent as is the leather, wood (I know it's veneer), and other interior items.

I thought there was good road feel from the wheel although it might be a little too much for my taste.

I don't like the ash tray on the dash. I would like to have that as storage space for those of us who do not smoke. Just seems like a waste of prime dash space for us non-smokers. As option for storage or an ash tray would be good.

Climate control seems to work fine. Don't know how to use all of it but then all you need to know is set it on auto and leave it.

The bixenon lights are great. Much brighter than normal lights.

The pano roof is a must have IMHO. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. It makes a big impression. No more noise than a normal sunroof and it has an electric cover for both roofs if the sun is too bright. The pano roof is my favorite option.

Now if the DVD-Nav would just get here!

I have other comments that I'll post later. Bottom line is that this is one of the best cars i've ever owned. It is expensive but all good things are. I would not hesitate to buy this car again or recommend it to family or a friend. If you have one on order you did the right thing. If you are thinking about buying one, all i can say is that you won't regret it if you do IMHO.
  • iqguyiqguy Member Posts: 1
    I have heard people being offered up to $2100 below MSRP on new E. ON this forum mgriffin4 has posted $2500 off MSRP on 320. This proves the point many people have made earlier, that as Jan 03 approaches , new E disconts will become more apparent.

From other forums Fremont, Ca dealership offers $2100 off MSRP (or had offered to someone)

Would love to know the dealership if possible mgriffin4.
  • mbe2003mbe2003 Member Posts: 12
    My car has a little insert in the glove box that you use to turn the ash tray into useable space. Pop out the ash tray and slide in the little "rubber liner" and presto, useful space and no ash tray. There is a custom size slot for the liner in the glove box. If you do not have it, call your dealer. Mine made a point to show it to me when he found out I did not smoke.

PS: Glad you like the car. I think the Pano Roof is great too. As for the stereo, turn off the logic 7 for a while and then turn it back on. You will appreciate the difference!

It just turned 1,700 miles and I have been loving every one.

Take care!
    Thanks mbe2003. I'll see if I can find the rubber liner. I agree there is a big difference with the logic 7 on, I just wish I could adjust the sound for my tastes. It is a very good sound system, I guess I had too high of expectations while waiting for my car! :)
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    Rayscar

Interesting impressions from your new E500. Is this your first E-Class or have you experience with an earlier version?

I've a 2000 E430 4-Matic and am certainly going to wait for that option (not available on 2003's yet) before I even think about an upgrade.

Interestingly, my son and I were at the Boston Auto Show last evening, compliments of M-B. We went to their hospitality suite, ate some 'dervs, watched their new E-Class ads on a big screen, and received a little gift bag that held, among other thing - - (drum roll) a plastic M-B HotMug (that is, a cup).

We spent the rest of the evening viewing cars and used the M-B cup as the "standard" for assessing cup holders. This was humorous and interesting. Most striking was that the E-Class cupholder wouldn't hold the cup that M-B was handing out to those special folks they invited to their hospitality suite! And that was just with one cup. If you try to put both of them in at once, fuggiddaboutit (or, bring a sponge). Such irony!! None of the German cars were much better. I guess Germany doesn't believe in using cups in their cars.

Other than that, we couldn't get too close to the E-Class since there were always 4 people sitting in it. It did draw some attention!

Speaking of ashtrays, most folks were trying to put their sunglasses in it. What sort of coin holder does the E-Class have? I made a liner for my front ashtray that will hold perhaps $10 in change 'cause I'm not a smoker, either. BTW, I don't recall paying road tolls in Germany, either, although I'm sure they have 'em. as well as parking meters.

One vexation with the radio in my car is its lack of FM sensitivity. The Nissan Maxima that M-B sometimes rents for me during service episodes has a radio perhaps twice as good as in my M-B. Multiple trips to M-B service have failed to address the problem. Any chance the new radio is better? Do you have a comparison for this? Dealer as much as said that M-B doesn't care much about it's radios - - perhaps because they can't figure out how to fix it.

You may find the HVAC system a little different if this is your first M-B. At least on mine, if you hit the front defrost button, the system immediately goes to full blower, full heat, clearing the windshield 'fer sure, but also mussing up your hair, melting your plastic eyeglasses frames, and leaving your feet cold. I think this should be labelled as a "fog panic" button. I finally figured out that the best way to get continuous, lower levels of defrost by going to manual operation, directing the air to the glass and your feet, and then adjusting the temp and blower to your taste.

When you were describing the windshield wipers, you did pluralize that word. Does that mean that there are now two blades instead of one? The single one doesn't do a very good job, Pep Boys and NAPA do not carry blades for it, and that's always been a weakspot in the design. Perhaps they have finally fixed this.

Enjoy your new car! - - and give us another report after 5-10k miles!

Wsteh, why is it that you don't buy sunroofs in your cars? I'm sure you take a hit at trade-in time if you are buying a top of the line automobile without a sunroof.

Just curious. Mark
    Hi cce182. Yes this is my first MB. My E500 does have two wipers which I agree would be a big improvement over one large one. I had found out about the "extreme" defrost button. I haven't found a coin holder in the car but I haven't lloked that hard for it either. Based on other posts, I did remove the ashtray and place the little rubber mat in its place that was in the glove box. Will keep you posted.
  • mbe2003mbe2003 Member Posts: 12
    This is the real joke in the E class. I am guessing that there are no coins now that they went to the Euro. The coin holder is on the FAR side of the Glove Box. It is the little prongie thing that sticks out. If you want to use it, you need to have someone in the passenger seat or lean all the way across the car! This ould have been fine in my old Honda that was only 5 feet wide. But it is WAY TOO FAR AWAY to be practical here. Oh well.

PS: I agree about the cup holder. The good news is that it holds my Coke can without a problem.
  • clark217clark217 Member Posts: 25
    Haspelbein, I am interested in possibly removing my instrument cluster since I have some bulbs that have burnt out. The dealer says to wait until more go out and then replace every bulb. It's getting aggravating. How difficult is it to remove the cluster and replace the bulbs? I have a 97 E-420.
    Thanks
    Why wait until more bulbs are burned out ? They are pretty inexpensive and you can replace them even if they're still good.

Removing the cluster is pretty easy. I believe I still have a short write-up somewhere. You essentially extend the steering wheel all the way out, remove the lower dashboard cover on the driver's side, reach behing the cluster and push the instrument cluster out. (The cluster doesn't use any fasteners. It's just a tight fit.)

I took the following picture and numbered the fasteners and connectors, but I still have to look up the detailed steps. (Sorry, I did that quite a while ago.) I promise to follow up shortly.

Thanks a bunch. I really admire your thoroughness.
    Lavelle Clark
    Okay, here comes the write-up for taking out the instrument cluster out of a W210.

0. Extend the telescoping steering wheel all the way out and down. If you forget this step, you'll have a fun time removing the cluster.

1. As with any work on the electrical system, disconnect the battery. (Remember to have your radio security code handy.)

2. Take off the heating vent (#2 in my picture) by turning its plastic screw 90 degrees.

3. Unscrew the screw at the hood release (#3).

4. Unscrew the plastic screw at the very end of the lower dashboard cover (#4). (located near the accelator pedal)

5. You have three screws remaining on the underside of the lower dashboard cover. Two should be clearly visible and easily accessible. One, near the center console, is quite recessed. I used a 6' extension for my 1/4'' drive to get to it. (#5)

6. Now push the whole cover TOWARDS THE PEDALS. This should cause the plastic clasps at the center console and the dashboards to release.

7. You may now slip the cover out of the car, or just lower it onto the hood release. Either way, you can now reach through the opening and behind the instrument cluster.

8. Reach through the opening and behind the instrument cluster. You should be able to push it out. Make sure to push it out evenly and not angle it in any way. It's a tight fit, but there are no fasteners.

9. The instrument cluster is connected with two electrical connectors. (#1) They have grey clasps that rotate around the connector. This rotation can be used to release or set the connector without the risk of bending the pins.

10. Remove the instrument cluster from the car.

11. The light bulbs are easily accessible at the back for the cluster. The bulbs are available at your MB dealer.

12. Installation is the reverse of the removal.

13. Enter the radio security code after re-connecting the battery !

Good Luck !

Thanks Again.
    Clark217
    ...let us know how it went.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Martin (haspelbein),

Thanks from all of us for that instruction sequence..

Now, on my 96 E320, some of the bulbs in the concole are burned out or the connections are intermittent. I can't always tell where the tranny is at night.. Do you have instructions for removing the center console panel?

Many thanks in advance,
    Fred
  • smuradsmurad Member Posts: 1
    What do you proud MB owners think of Lexus as far as reliablity, resale value and cost of ownership is concerned?
    I am in the market for a used MB, 99 or older, but the reports I see shows a lot of unhappy MB drivers. Please share your thoughts..
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I think that Lexus probably has better reliability, in the sense that "little" thingse are unlikely to go wrong with them. Mercedes (I have 2--a 96e320 and a 2001slk) tend to have those little things go wrong with them now--for example, windows might not go up, rough idle in the morning, some wind noise that comes through the window but cannot be explained. The lexus's, in my experience (I had a 1998 ls400--great car until my wife got ahold of it--women drivers, that's another story) don't tend to have these little issues. In terms of service costs, actually, the lexus cost me more than the mercedes--but then again, the lexus dealer network is considerably more customer service oriented. Back in the 1980's, when I purchased my first mercedes---they were THE standard, b/c nobody made anything better. At the time, I thought I was driving the best, most reliable car possible. And I was. Now, my more recent mercedes are MORE reliable than anything I drove in the 1980's, but the problem is, everything else is more reliable too. I don't really subscribe to the belief that mercedes quality has gone down, but I do believe everything else is better. So, to answer your question--you're not going to go wrong with either a Lexus or a Mercedes--just make sure you have the service records and a clean service history. Otherwise, walk away, b/c these cars are expensive enough to service (both lexus and merc) when they've been properly maintained---I shudder to think how expensive they are to maintain if they have not been dilligently looked after. Good luck.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    SMurad, I have had both flawless and very troubled MB's. My wife is on her third and I my second. I also owned several Honda Accords which were flawless, and older Volvos, which were troubled.

The complaints you hear will be found on every message board from Honda to Yugo. The recently launched C class and the M class seem to have more than their share of growing pains. I think the E class is the most reliable of the Benz-- this makes sense because it has the highest unit volume and has been refined for decades. Stick with E class and you'll be fine. But, stay away from 1st year models if possible. We had a 1992 320S (1st year) that had radiator, suspension, transmission and other problems that cost over $7,000 in repairs between miles 75k and 90k. I was SOOO glad to turn it in at 95k at age six.

The Japanese cars in my experience have more proven electricals and climate control, and conveniences like cup holders. But they do not have the solidity to go past 150k without rattles and shakiness. Add to this the superior ride of both Mercedes and BMW, and the differences are quite notable. Even the 320 S with 95k miles we turned in seemed like brand new in every respect: ride, lack of rattles, condition of leather, paint and other hardware.

The Lexus may be close, but only your test driving will confirm this. Honestly, as much as I love my E 320, I know people very happy with their Lexus as well. I don't think you can go wrong having narrowed your choice down to these two. Good luck.
    I've never owned a Lexus but I've had 3 Mercedes and currently own 2 of them. The Lexus will run as reliable as a refrigerator and, in my opinion, they are about as exciting as an "icebox" :o)

M.
    Fred (Microrepair),

I haven't had a reason (yet) to pull the center console myself, but I'll see what instructions I can find. I promise to follow up.

Martin
    glamourlife;

I was the on ewho mentioned the lack of headroom in the '03 w/sunroof. The first thing I do before getting into ANY car that has power seats is to lower the seat right to the floor. I did that in the '03 and still had less headroom than in my 96.. Now that I think about it, I believe that the seat doesn't go as low as the seat in the 96. Otherwise, the cabin does have more room, especially for the driver's legs.

Someone else recently complained about the single wiper blade on the 96-02 models. You DO NOT need to buy 25" blades at MB prices. A couple of years ago I got fed up paying $10-12 just for a single blade refill and bought a 24" Trico blade arm assembly at my local auto parts store. The replacement blades are now only $4-5 dollars (available everywhere!) and you will never notice the 1" less of swept area since most of the difference is at the bottom of the blade and you are mostly looking at the hood of the car through that space.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    I actually miss the single blade design. I thought that was one of the features that gave my old E lots of character. I am up to 3500 miles on the new E500 and could not be more satisfied. What a beauty inside and out!
    I have an E500 with a pano roof and I'm 6'2" and have plenty of headroom.
    Fred,

I checked my manual, and it only described the removal of the center console (or rather the shiftgate and the surrounding veneer in your case) for the manual transmission E.

Since there is no shift boot to get out of the way, I would try to lift up the veneer off the center console until you can compress the clasps for the shifter gate from underneath.
    The veneer is supposed to come out by removing the ashtray, pressing the front plastic clasps of the veneer inward, and pulling it up.

Sorry I didn't have more information for you. Please let me know if you're going ahead with the replacement of the bulbs. I'm now curious myself.

Martin
  • ny15ny15 Member Posts: 1
    My mother drives an E320, but she used to have an LS400. She constantly talks about selling the E320 and going back to a Lexus. This may seem to be the wrong forum to discuss complaints with our E320, but I would be very interested in comments.

1. Her service stinks. The people are not responsive. A plastic part came cracked. It took months to be replaced.

2. A light fault frequently comes up on her dashboard. I replaced the broken bulb and still got the same problem. When she took in the car, MB re-replaced the bulbs saying my bulbs were not MB brand. As she left the shop, the fault light returned anyway.

3. I removed the original license plate advertisement. The dealer keeps replacing the advertisement. It should be my choice to advertise the dealer. Dealers are welcome to pay me for the privilage.

4. The accelerator and the brake seem to start and stop suddenly. In other words, they are hard to control. I think they are set like a sports car, rather than a luxury car. Our Lexus was more gradual.

5. The headlights do not automatically turn off when the ignition key is turned off. Even my older Subaru has this feature. I understand the newest MB's have this feature, but it is very annoying not having it.

None of these issues hurt the car's excellent reliability. When I pay this kind of money, I expect the whole package. If the Lexus LS-430 had all wheel drive, I would trade in the MB E320 right now.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    ny15's comments reflect MB's decline in quality especially compared w/ Lexus. Hopefully, MB will address the quality issue. I've had both a Lexus and now have two E320s, a '98 and '01. My wife and I both prefer to drive the E320. They have much better suspension or steering control. Also, the Lexus 430 is too big for us. The Lexus does have a better stereo though.
    1. It often does. I don't know if you have any option in dealers. Switching dealers made it much better for me.

2. Unfortunately, that's common problem. Many times, it's not the bulb, but the socket or harness.
    I actually went as far as buying a multimeter and measuring the electrical resistance of most of my lights. It's a pain, but it got rid of the problem.

3. My dealer doesn't do that. It's very inconsiderate. I hope you have a choice.

4. Yes, the accelerator reacts faster in the newer E-Class. My '96 E-Class still has the 'mushy' feel to it. I drove a '98, and it reacted much sooner. I have not idea why it was changed. I'm wondering if it is configurable, as it is a drive-by-wire system.

5. Stupid, I know.
    rayscar:

I'm a little over 6' 3" so maybe that's enough to get near the roof. But I don't know which roof was on the car I sat in. Is the Pano roof the only option or is it also available with a standard sunroof? That might make a difference also.

haspelbein:

Martin, I may try removing that veneer panel this weekend. It appears to be a bad bulb or a bad connection for the backlighting for the tranny gear selection. When I get to it, I'll post my progress.
    Thanks for the hints..
    For those on a power binge, take a look at www.renntechmercedes.com ... They have E class rigs with up to 530 HP.. In the W210 they used to have an E60... They have a used one listed for sale. They also show a 2003 SL500 for sale with 575 HP...

It wouldn't be hard to spend 130K to get the ultimate E-Class rocket, with all the doodads they have for it; suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels, interior trim, etc.. not to mention the engine bay goodies. Hmmm, Christmas is coming..!!
    Hi microrepair. There are two options for the sun roof. The regular sun roof and the pano roof, which is what i have. The pano roof option adds a non-opening sun roof over the back seat too. The result is the entire roof of the car is glass with the exception of the 6" support beam going across the middle of the roof.
    In preparation for removing the instrument cluster and replacing the light bulbs in my E-420, I went to my Mercedes dealer and ordered the full set of bulbs for the instrument cluster. Turns out there are 15 bulbs and the total cost was $175 including tax. That was a little bit of a shock. I checked on mercedesshop.com using the part numbers and found they had four of the 15 bulbs (the cheapest ones unfortunately) at a significantly lower price, but they didn't carry the other bulbs. Does anyone know of other dependable online sources for Mercedes bulbs?
    Thanks
    ...sells the 12W/2W instrument cluster bulbs for $2.20 apiece. I believe those are the most common ones. The others were between $2 and $4.
    I replaced the ones in the multifunction display the last time, as they burn out the fastest. (The display is always on.) I paid less that $5 per bulb at the dealer.

By the way, which bulbs are so expensive ?
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Yes, my 2001 E-430 has a manual light switch, but I like it. It has a very solid feel to it. Two of my other cars have the auto-on feature, but I still don't mind.

In any event, if it is important to you, you can buy the Canadian daylight-running version that has an auto-on feature. The only problem is you won't be able to turn off the lights during the daytime.
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Member Posts: 11
    I am the owner of a new E-class, which now has 1000 miles on it. No problems up until a trip I took yesterday. After about 4 hours an annoying noise was coming from underneath the driver's seat whenever I would step on the accelerator. Actually sounded like the thing was out of gear, but the RPM's were in check. Also has anyone had a problem with the rear windows fogging up? First time someone was in the back seat for an extended period and I could not get the back windows to defog. If anyone knows what needs to be set on the climate control please let me know. All in all this is a great looking car, one you wouldn't expect to have any problems for the price!
This discussion has been closed.