Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Well, I ended up going another direction today and bailed on the E320 Wagon. I went and got a 2004 Infiniti FX35. It cost several thousand more than they were asking for the E-Class Wagon, but the financing rate was a lot better, and odds are the maintenance/repair bills will be a lot lower over the next 8 years or so, which is how long I plan to keep it, driving 20-25k a year.

Thanks to all for your advice, and enjoy those sweet rides of yours.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Congratulations. Don't think you can go wrong with the FX35, as it uses the next generation engine (3.5 vs. 3.0 liter) that's in my 1995 Maxima. At 9 years and 149.5k miles, I have no doubt it will last another 50k+. So your objective of 160-200k miles should be well within its range.

Good luck!
  • ong2000ong2000 Member Posts: 19
    I bought E320/2004 last month, so far its a great car. I am thinking about buying the extended warranty 7 years/100K miles. Is it worth it? I want to keep the car at least for 6-8 years. Need some inputs, thanks.
  • khicekhice Member Posts: 13
    Pity I just tuned in today. My advice would have been a little different, though I do think you should have traveled to a more competitive market, such as DC & purchased a Starmarked wagon from a Benz dealer. Unless your local dealer is a jerk you would have received excellent care. I'm nearing the 1 year anniversary on my immaculate E320 wagon, single owner: European Delivery; elegance edition; bose, cd; heated, full-leather seats, Xenons; sunroof; Starmarked w/52.6K miles. Service records revealed issues with only: light bulbs, a headlamp & battery had been replaced. When Starmarked, the dealer installed new brakes & replaced the wheel bearings. Asking price was $31,998, we settled at $29,000 & I bought the extra 24 mos of Starmark warranty. Shortly after I noticed a clunk under the carriage when driving over slight bumps. At my "A" service the dealer inspected for the problem, found water in the grease in the front wheel bearings, replaced them, test drove the car, decided the problem was not corrected and replaced both sway bar end links. My cost: "0". This winter, the drivers heated seat back ceased to heat. So they replaced that and installed a new leather cover, which was great because the original one had some serious wear on the outside bolster. This time they had the car a week because MB kept sending the wrong cover. The '03 C240 loaner lacked the covenience of my wagon but, at least had heated seats. While I haven't driven a 4-Matic in the snow, I can say, that in Wisconsin I have no problem at all getting around with Blizzak snow tires. Our family drives to Asheville every Feb. we've mad the trip in Buick LeSabres, Cadillac Catera's & this year will go in the Benz. My wife's '02 C230K (also Starmarked w/all options at a remarkably low price) would be more fun, but I just know I'd get a ticket. The thought of taking the curves on I40 through the Smokies at 80+ gives me the chills (I'm too old to be that stupid anyway). Bottom line, negotiate tough in a competitive market & buy "gently" pre-owned Starmarked cars. I think the new "E's" are gorgeous & would love some of the features but, can't justify the price. Like you, I agree that the W210 platform 98--02 has that classic, Benz look that is quaintly of it's time. I believe the new design is destined to be a classic also. But, if I win the lottery, my wagon is going back to the factory for complete reconditioning & a few custom options. I hope you enjoy your Infiniti. They seem nice and Japan builds reliable vehicles that can hold their value better than Mercedes. But, it isn't a Benz. And nothing beats driving a Benz.
    The thought of taking the curves on I40 through the Smokies at 80+ gives me the chills

I'm certainly looking forward to doing that for the first time in the FX. I live in Raleigh and drive to Asheville and Knoxville a couple times a year, and let me tell you, going through the mountains an Explorer isn't any fun. If I only drove 10-15k a year, I may very well have gone with the Benz, but I've been averaging 25k over the last 8 (since I've been working full time). At that rate, I'd be out of the warranty on the Benz in about 2 1/2 years, and then have a 6 1/2 year old Mercedes with 100k on it. It would still probably drive like the day it came off the lot, but I'm worried about the cost to keep it going for the next 100k.

I agree with you in general about the Japanese reliability vs. German driving pleasure argument, but IMHO, Infiniti is doing the best of the Japanese makes to mimic the German approach of maximizing the driving experience (as opposed to the cabin isolation tactics of Lexus). I'm sure it won't be quite the driving machine that a Benz is, but the FX is a heck of a lot of fun (the G35 they've given me as a loaner until the FX is ready has been a hoot). Coming off an Explorer, it's going to seem like a race car to me. It was a real close call, and hopefully it works out in the long run.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Personally, I like the way Mercedes puts the cruise arm above the turning signal. I've driven several Mercedes since 1989 (mine and friends) and have never had a problem with it's location. I think maybe twice in all of these years I accidently hit it instead of the turning signal lever..... it's not a problem because you can feel the difference immediately and just go for the lower lever. It just takes getting a little used to it.

I don't care for the cruise control operation on the steering wheel. On rentals, I always have to take my eyes off of the road and never have to on the Mercedes.

Just my opinion. Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • nicktherabbitnicktherabbit Member Posts: 14
    Beautiful lines - style to the MAX, much prettier than the 5 series. I have a Bk/Bk with Sport & Entertainment package.

Beast - Awful glitches -
    1 - Alignment and tire balance (required 3 days to replace two out of round tires)- dealer fixed
    2 - Xenon headlights out of alignment - dealer fixed
    3 - Bucking horse ride at low speeds - MB says this is normal and is due to the torque converter not disengaging at low speeds - no fix from MB
    4 - Brake pedal (pump) constantly throbbing away under the hood - I feel it in the steering wheel and brake pedal. Dealer to install a fabric gasket to "better insulate" the pump motor from the car.
    5 - Radio - what a mess, period. Sometimes I get static in the speakers, then the radio goes out. Sometimes the station display will not change when the channel is changed. All clears when you re start the car ... tribute to "fibre optics". Dealer will check the connections?

It is such a Beauty and a Beast as well ...
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    and CD is that when you change the station or selection there is momentary delay before the new selection shows and plays. This is inherent to the system and is not really a problem, a minor annoyance at worst.
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    Is that what that sound is!? Every time we crank up my wife's 04 E320, there's that buzz/vibration. It occurs occasionally when were're cruising, too, but it's less obtrusive. You say there's a fix to make it quieter? I gotta take it by the dealer.

Brake pedal (pump) constantly throbbing away under the hood - I feel it in the steering wheel and brake pedal. Dealer to install a fabric gasket to "better insulate" the pump motor from the car.
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    Anyone have an '04 E500 with the new 7 speed automatic? The reviews on it are pretty good , but are 7 gears really necessary? I mean, if you floor the gas while cruising, it probably has to drop down 4 gears just to get into the right powerband.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    I've got one. With 7 gears you don't have to floor the gas. There is neck snapping torque underfoot no matter how much or little you depress the accelerator. Need 7 gears? No. Its always in the right powerband.
    Has anyone got a way to keep the dead pedal/left footrest carpeted area from turning black & soggy? I've got the stone interior, and this winter has made a huge black oval in the carpet. Why didn't they glue a vinyl patch to the carpet over there, or put a color matching dead pedal on it? That carpet is gonna wear & fray particularly on the corner drop off to the floor. Suggestions?
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    I couldn't agree more with the comment about the "bucking horse" ride at low speeds. I have a 2003 E-320 which on the whole thus far has proven to be a very good car. However at low speeds the shifting is very erratic and this is terribly annoying especially in local driving. The car sometimes feels like it has no power and when you kick the gas a little it shifts and jumps forward. I complained to my MB dealer and the service manager took it for a ride and said that this was normal for the car and there was no fix for it. My neighbor who has the same car has had the same experience. This is a major disappointment to me and as soon as I can find another car that I like I will probably get rid of the car.
    My 2000 E430 sport is a keeper after reading the posts about the new E. Mine, with only 24,000 miles, has been a really good car. A couple of adjustments have been made at the dealer in the last four years.

Now, my 2002 ML has had more issues during it's 27,000 miles than my "E". Nothing life shattering, but enough to make me think I'll look at a different brand because I might not get a "good" one next time. I don't want to live at the dealership!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • sfg2000sfg2000 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at ordering the new 2004E sedan 4 matic and the car I am about to order has the optional "drive-dynamic seats" which move while you corner. Question - 1. does anyone now own a car with this option? 2. is there a switch to turn this off? 3. how do you like it?
    Thanks!
    Love them. Fun, Fun, Fun. The faster you are going the more they react. In the Vehicle settings area of the program, you can select to have them operate or not, and select which of 2 response levels you want them to respond at. Default is on, level 2.
    If I remember, I believe it is selectable for either front seat.
    The side bolsters must be adjusted "inward" to hold you slightly 1st, otherwise they are too wide open for you to feel the inflation/deflation. which is instantaneous.
    Neat little feature! Necessary? No. Neat? Yes!
  • teeboteebo Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know if 4-Matic will be an option with the CDI model?
    Thanks....
    According to my dealer source, the initial release of the CDI will only be RWD. However, it seems that Mercedes is offering 4-matic in almost every model, so perhaps it will be offered on the CDI next model year.

Curious, though, what is your take on 4-matic. I have really gotten a lot of mixed reviews, ranging from "wouldn't buy one without it" to "open your wallet for repairs after 4-5 years". I'm wondering if having all of the anti-skid, limited slip, etc. on RWD doesn't make today's RWD a lot better than yesteryears. Even with 4-matic, most of the Benz's in our neighborhood sat parked during the snow and ice this year and everyone went to their SUV anyway. The idea of a 4-matic CDI appeals to me, but not if the $2,000+ future repair bills I've heard rumors of are true.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    For my money a dedicated set of winter wheels shod with snow tires is a far better answer to winter driving than AWD. I am currently driving a 530i and have such a set of winter wheels for it, and even though we had 114 inches of snow here in our town last winter, my car wasn't stranded even a single day.

Now that Mr. Bangle & cohorts have destroyed the 5-Series, and now that the E320 CDI is likely to be available, I am seriously considering jumping ship to the E-Class, even though it does not have a manual transmission. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that the wheels from the 2002 530i will fit a 2005 E320 CDI. "Ummm, hello TireRack?" ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Just took delivery of 2001 E320 BLK/BLK w/ Sport Pkg. Car has only 14,000 mi.Plus StarMark plus bought 3 yr 100,000mi warranty. So have 5 1/2 more yrs of warranty.

Dealer installed new Michelin Sport XGT-H4 on 235/45/17 rims. Car like new.

Any comments or recommendations on this model & yr? Anything to look out for?
  • teeboteebo Member Posts: 4
    I haven't heard about problems with 4-matic. Yours and Shipo's comments about snow tires makes sense, I'm probably getting caught up in the hype.
    On the other hand, snow tires (at least from what I remember) don't ride all that well and wear out after a while. Depending on how long you own the car, a couple thousand more may equal snow tires and wheels.
    Greasykid1---- I have a 2000 E-430 sport. I would check the sunvisor vanity mirror covers to make sure they are not broken. Both of mine broke off about a week apart after about a year. They were replaced under warranty.

The other item were as follows:

-The clock would lose about 3 minutes a month. The whole instrument panel needed to be replaced.

-one fog light became out of alignment (replaced fog light assembly)

In 24,000 miles and 52 months of ownership, that's all that I've had done other than regular maintenance.

Mark
  • sfg2000sfg2000 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Barry - two other questions:
    1. Is there a noise when the seats adjust (noticeable?)?
    2. With this option also comes the perforated seats that cool with air...again - noise from the fan? Thoughts? Also do the seats look good fully perforated?
    The seats are awesome, comfortable & silent. The picture of the seat adjustments panel located under the drivers right knee is upside down in the manual. It will make you crazy because the printing on the buttons is correct in the manual. The on off button for the inflating cushions is located on the front of the seat facing the gad pedal, so its hard to know if it is on without driving & turning. If u want it on all the time, (I do) be sure to turn it on, THEN memorize your seat position. (Before you memorize the seat position, memorize the parking mirror down position).

Its seats like these that differentiate your car from all the others.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "On the other hand, snow tires (at least from what I remember) don't ride all that well and wear out after a while."

"Times" my friend, they have achanged. ;-) I am running Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires on my 530i, and they are easily as quiet and ride better than the OEM rubber. That said, it's not quite an "apples to apples" comparison, with the OEM rubber being 235/45-17 performance tires while the snows are 225/55-16 that have a taller side wall and a much more compliant ride. As for tire wear, I have about equal miles on both sets, and the snow have actually worn better than the summer tires. In the end, they are going to save me money because I won't have to replace the expensive summer tires as often.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Sorry to bring this up again, but a search in the eastern Mass. area at dealers show NO E430 wagons and just these E320 wagons at prices that are far above what people are claiming were too high at $34,900 for a 2000 E430 AWD.. I guess the supply of used wagons with AWD here inthe northeast has bumped the prices up about $6-8 grand above what other parts of the country are paying.. Or at least the dealers are asking these prices. They are all Starmarked...

Similar pricing exists for the sedans also, which is what I'm looking for.. A 2000 E320 with 2 wheel drive and approx. 40K miles is listed for about $32K.

2000 E320 AWD Wagon, 47,000, E1 & E2 - $37,500
    2001 E320 AWD Wagon, 36,400, - $39,900
    2001 E320 AWD Wagon, 26,400, E1 - $40,900
    2000 E320 AWD Wagon, 35,100, E2 - $42,900
    2000 E320 AWD Wagon, 29,500, E2, heated seats - $42,900
    2000 E320 AWD Wagon, 35,400, E1 & E2 - $35,900
    2001 E320 AWD Wagon, 45,700, E1, E2, K2a, multi-countour ventilated seats - $42,885
    2000 E320 AWD Wagon, 40,400, E2, heated seats - $38,995
    I don't think there is such a thing as an E430 Wagon, but thanks for the numbers. I'm starting to wish I had gone ahead and bought the Benz, the seats in my Infiniti FX35 are very tight and uncomfortable due to the placement of the seat controls on the right side leg bolster (much better to put them on the door like MB does). The Wagon that I had been looking at, BTW, has already been sold from the dealer, I'd be curious to know what someone paid for it.
    Sorry about that. I could have sworn you were looking at an E430 wagon... You can tell I've never paid much attention to the wagons prior to this..!!
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Will have a 2000 E class 2 wheel drive with approx 41,000 in superior condition April 1st when my new E comes in. Southern New Hampshire for a lot less than $32,000.
  • siulobowsiulobow Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know that E-Class will have any minor changes in near future?
    Thanks!
  • mcaleermcaleer Member Posts: 11
    When I purchase my 2001 E320, I gleaned from this site the name of a person that was cutting good deals on the MB Extended Warranty. I've sold the E320 and am purchasing a new S430. I can't find the Warranty person's name. I think it was a Lisa somebody. Anybody out there can help?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Sometime in the near future (05' model year) I would bet that the "E320" will become the "E350" to reflect the new 3.5L DOHC Direct-injection V6 making it's debut in the 2005 SLK350. This engine makes 268hp in the SLK. I don't expect the E350 to be quite that powerful, but you can expect at least 250hp, and the 7-Seed automatic also.

Since the 545i, new A6 4.2. both have 325hp or more, I also expect a new direct-injection V8 to make its debut in the 2006 S-Class, this will no doubt be shared with the E-Class of the same year.

The E55 may, and I mean may get a new 6.3L V8 (600hp) based on the same direct-injection V8 that will debut in the new S-Class. Mercedes has history of making engine swaps for the second-half of an AMG car's production run. Witness the 2001-2002 CL55, 2001-2002 S55, and C32 to C55 transformations.

I'd say that the entire E-Class will get its first "facelift" for 2006 or 2007, depending on its popularity up to that point.

M
  • siulobowsiulobow Member Posts: 5
    As far as I understood, MB never offered any discount to the new cars. Monday, I went to a dealer in NJ, they offered me 3k off from MSRP for both E500 and CLK500. Did MB change their policy to offer dicounts again?
    microrepair,

It's a free country and Massachusetts' dealers can ask whatever they want for E320 Wagons if the buying public is willing to pay it. However, I uncovered my old deal that I did not take on a brand new 2001 E320 4-matic wagon, E1, multicontour seats and metallic paint dated June 4, 2001: $46,650. Price included destination, not taxes or tags. Price on a non 4-matic was $43,950.

Now if someone wants to pay $40k+ for a 3 year old car with 27-45k miles on the odometer, I'm not sure who is dumber - them, or me for not buying the car new in 2001.

siulobow,

Mercedes doesn't discount?? Nice urban legend, but every dealer does their own thing. The aforementioned deal was one of the few times Mercedes offered a $2,000 factory to dealer incentive on the E class that I am aware of, but the dealer I work with will discount just about any model, some more, some less.

Right now, as we speak, you can also get a flat 7% off the MSRP by going through European Delivery. I believe they throw in a few goodies relative to lodging and meals for a night or two.
  • boiler1boiler1 Member Posts: 56
    You're right on the European Delivery Program. I just ordered an E320 4matic for delivery in May. MB pays for one nights lodging, a meal, transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the factory, 15 days insurance and there is no destination charge. The only thing I thought was a little strange was that the residual on my lease was less than the same car delivered directly to the dealer. As far as price was concerned, there was no negotiation. I spoke to several dealers are got the same response from each.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I bought an 8 year extended factory warranty for our '01 E-320 on 4-14-02 from Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chino CA. 1-800-655-3535 or 1-530-893-1300. Fax 1-530-893-1131. Terms and conditions may have change since then.
    You can usually get a 10% or more discount off the asking price if do some serious negotiating.

Just bought a 2001 E320 w/14K miles ; got a little over 10% off on a Starmark car.
    For the 2nd time since December, I started the car to go to work, radio came on, radio started crackeling, then radio sound quit. CD changer still plays w/ sound but 3 minutes later, still no radio sound.... any similar experiences/solutions? How do I get the radio sound back. Will try the radio lunch time.
  • reno24reno24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2001 or 2002 E320 with less than 50k miles. I would need AWD. I've never owned a Mercedes. Questions: Just how many miles will a well-kept one go? I've heard that some make it to 500,000 or more. Any other buying advise anyone has? Thanks.
  • pickle005pickle005 Member Posts: 10
    want to see if this is happening at all MB dealership. reserved my e320 4matic last Aug. finally got my pick up call last week.(i'm already paying sticker). but now my dealer wants to add a $675 fee, 'cause the Euro went up. not that it's a lot of money. but something tells me, had the euro gone done, they wouldn't be offerring me a rebate of some kind.

anyway, are u guys getting stick w/ this fee also?
    I would think a 1998 or 1999 E300TD would have a better chance of seeing 300,000+ miles than a gas model. Or, like me, you can wait for the new E320CDI. Unfortunately, none of these have 4-matic. However, as I've previously posted, of 4-5 friends with 4-matics that have 100k+ miles, several have had transmission and drive train repairs. The RWD owners we know seem to fare better on this front. Coincidence? Possibly, but even a friend who was a former Mercedes leasing executive acknowledged that 4-matic is not a maintenance free system and there are more moving parts that will wear out over time.

By the way, I have also confirmed that the 300,000+ mile Mercedes is mostly an urban legend. Yes, they can last that long when well maintained, as can a Honda or Toyota. But maintenance and repairs on newer models (1995+) can get very expensive as electronic systems and high tech components fail. My buddy with an old 1978 240D 4-speed that made it to 280k miles had a simple car that was cheap to maintain. He now has a 1997 E420 that, except for an extended warranty which just expired, would have taken serious bites out of his wallet. He is shopping for a replacement.

pickle005:

Let me get this right: You ordered a E320 4-matic for ED last August at "sticker" and are now being asked to pay an additional $675 because of the decline in the dollar. Something smells really bad.

I've been told I could order an 2004 E320/500 now for May pickup (12 weeks or less), 7% off MSRP and they throw in some travel goodies. I am hoping that offer will still stand when the E320 CDI is released. It sounds like you are being taken coming and going.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    Some things come to mind with a high-mileage cars and the hope that a "Benz" will make it to that magic number:

I spent 50 grand on my 2002 E-320. I hope to keep it for 10 years in the justification that, if I didn't purchase it, I would have purchased (2) vehicles in that time frame about 25/30 grand each. I do have an extended warranty with Geico (so for major breakdowns, I hope to be covered)...

But, why is it important to have a car that can go 300,000 miles? Would it not be better to have a car for 1/3rd of that and purchase a new one at then (luxury cars should offer you a good trade-in/resale value - but not at 300,000 miles)?

If you're driving luxury, why put up with potential headaches of repairs?

Chances are that the C/E-Classes will not be a "collector's" car; having it for a long time will not put money in your pocket at the antique car auctions (Like a Gullwing...). For that, chances are better with the SL.

In general, past performance is not indication of future results (especially in regards to Benz' of late)... So why is a 300,000 miles important?

They don't make them like they used to, so why bother trying to keep them like that?

IMO.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I agree with Edsoto but also feel that new technologies will continue to make newer vehicles from most luxury car companies safer, more efficient and enjoyable.

It also used to be the case that MB introduced technologies before other car companies. This might have made buying and keeping a MB for a long time a good option, because everybody else was still catching up.

But today much technology development is being done by suppliers and much new technology is electronic. The time to market for the new technologies is very fast and MB has more than it's share of problems dealing with electronics.

It's easy to imagine a world not too far off where:

Weather and road conditions are broadcast on Digital Satellite to your car.

GPS tells the ESP computer system where the car is in real time, which is integrated with local weather and road conditions. This helps improve the algorithms being used by ESP to determine kind and cause of wheel slip, vehicle yaw, etc. versus driver inputs.

'Feel and Handling' will no longer be differentiated by manufacturer. The driver chooses a 'feel' that they might enjoy in terms of road feedback and handling, ranging from traditional MB settings to clones of various BMW, Jaguar, Lexus and Cadillac rides. GPS and weather are also sent to the Adaptive Suspension and Steering System. The Adaptive Suspension could be based on the rheological shocks from GM and Honda's dynamic ratio power steering system. The GPS and Direct Satellite info will also be provided to the suspension and feel subsystems.

Window glass will be programmatically adaptive to glare and other lighting conditions using LCD filters and polarizers sandwiched into the glass.

All of the lighting in the car will be LED's.

Seats will have electronically controlled memory gels that allow controlled conformance to several different drivers. The gels will also help reshape seat bolstering based on driver inputs, ESP and Adaptive suspension. If you want to drive through the mountains at speed and feel like you are in a sport sedan you can dial it in.

Virtually everything about the car will be voice controlled and interactive. Dad will be able to loan his car to Junior for a date and control where it can go and log where it went.

Well, maybe my imagination is in high gear. But if I can think of this, imagine what the real car engineers are thinking!
    Just bought a 2001 320 from MB dealer. Car had 14K miles and was Starmark. Existing new warranty still has 1 1/2 yrs plus another yr w/ Starmark Plus bought 3 yr 0 deductible policy from MB @ $1400. Add it all up and I have 5 1/2 yrs of warranty from MB.

It took me 3 months to find the right car & it is now has warranty for 5 1/2 yrs or 100,000 miles.

To me this was the most economical way to have low maintenance for up to 100,000 mi.

Strongly recommend extended warranty as A/C repairs can cost $2-3,000 up plus as someone already posted car is full of electronics
  • steve500steve500 Member Posts: 11
    This is my first experience with an extended warranty and I'm not happy. It seams like they are set up to take your money and the loop holes provide ways for them not to pay. Here's my experience, I'm interested in hearing about yours.

My wife's 2000 Ford Windstar had a 50k mile warranty and we purchased the best warranty extension available to bring us to 75k miles. She had no problems with her car until recently. She has 60k miles on it and she started hearing noise when turning and the check engine light stays on. So she brought to Ford Service.

1) Service said that a leak in a power steering hose caused the fluid to somewhat slowly leak out, thereby causing the PS pump to go bad. They said there was insufficient oil in the pump to lubricate it properly. The Easy Care Vehicle Service folks (this is who we have our extended warranty with) said they wouldn't pay for repair because "hoses" are not covered and if a non-covered part causes a covered part to go bad, they don't pay for the usually covered part. We never saw any fluid on the driveway nor garage floor so we never had any indication of a problem. I do admit that I never checked the fluid level. So shame on me. I just assumed that it was checked during service. They also said that a tie rod was making noise, but that's not covered because the "allowable field tolerances have not been exceeded."

2) Service said the engine check light was on because the intake manifold gasket was leaking air. Ford redesigned the gasket to solve this problem. But the Easy Care Vehicle Service folks say they won't pay for repair because they only pay for repairs due to "defects in material" not for repairs due to the need to install redesigned parts.

I have a Warrantybynet contract on my 2003 E500. I also got the best one available. It also says they don't pay for hoses and has other language that I now wonder if it could be used as grounds for claim denial.

So I'm wondering, do these things ever provide value or is this a con game? I'm thinking about cancelling both policies.
    I think you are suffering the consequences of getting an "aftermarket" warranty.

I considered getting an extended warranty for my 2002 Honda S2000 a few months ago before it turned 2 years old. After checking into prices, I contacted my Honda Service manager who is highly honorable. He advised me to either not get an extended warranty at all or get the HondaCares authorized warranty. He gave me several examples of repairs that would have been approved by Hondacare's direct authorization with a 5 minute phone call that took days to resolve - and often denied - with aftermarket warranties. And the aftermarket sleezebuckets often try to point to "other causes" such as the dealer service department, etc. Their entire business model is based upon collecting premiums and minimizing claims payouts.

I ended up taking his advice and not getting anything, since I can still get the Honda extended warranty up to the three year anniversary. However, in the future I would never consider an aftermarket warranty over a manufacturer backed one. The peace of mind with an aftermarket warranty is mostly a falacy, as you have found out.

P.S. About the only item I was concerned about with the S2000 was clutch / transmission repairs. The clutch isn't covered under any extended warranty. However, with HondaCares, they authorized my dealer to do severl clutch replacements under "goodwill". Try getting that type of treatment from Easy Care or Warrantybynet. They have no incentive whatsoever to create goodwill between you and the manufacturer.
    the same thoughts and discussion on extended warranties, reliability, etc of MB's in general and E320 specifically. I am looking to replace my 96 E with a 2001 or 2002 E and was talking to my salesman yesterday and he agreed that the days of driving a MB mostly trouble free to 200K miles and beyond are gone. He said that even their regional sales reps will admit to that "off-camera" so to speak. He says he has noticed the "cheapening" of MB cars during the last 10 years. Right now, the only sedan that comes with a full size tire is the S. Up until last year at least the E came with a full size spare as standard. No more.. And that is indicative of what has happened to the brand. As well as most of the other German brands.

In my case, mine has cost me over $4000 since hitting 114K miles (9 months ago) and all that is left for a major repair is the transmission and alternator. My salesman says that a transmission can run $4-5K.. Ooops.!! My checkbook isn't THAT big..! So, if I get another E it will not be in my garage beyond 100K. That will be the magic trade mileage for me..

As for extended warranties, mine had the Starmark warranty and I did have a couple of things taken care of under that policy. No quibble, no deductible, no problem. Aftermarket warranties are a crapshoot. I won't buy another used MB without Starmark, period. Greasykid1 got a good deal on 3 extra years of Starmark for $1400. My salesman quoted me $1600. For a car with only 16K miles on it, getting the extra 3 years is a smart move..
  • steve500steve500 Member Posts: 11
    At the time, I didn't consider the EasyCare Warranty to be an aftermarket because it was sold to me by the Ford Dealer. The same dealer who has provided all service on the car. When it was sold to me the closer said that while it was more expensive than if I bought it outside the dealership, they worked closely with EasyCare and it would be trouble free. Sounded reasonable.

Is HondaCares and Starmark, Honda and Mercedes manufactures warranties or are they really 3rd party business relationships between the auto manufacturer and a warranty company?
    I agree that I would only buy the mfg of the car warranty. Have a 2001 Jeep GC with 4 yrs of extended warranty from Chrysler. Has come close to paying for itself the first year. Have had both seat warmers replaced plus a steering problem.

Have 0 deductable. Cost $300 more than $100 deduct.but I"m sure we will be ahead after 4 yrs.

I believe that the sevicing dealer also is very important. Our Jeep dealer is very helpful,hope MB dealer is as good.

Also bought the longest warranties as my wife says I can't buy any more cars for a few years.
    is supported directly by MBUSA as far as I know from conversations with my salesperson. A dealer, if they want to offer Starmark on a used vehicle, must perform a rigid inspection/repair/maintenance process and then pay MBUSA approx. $1500 to have it registered/certified so that you can drive into any MB dealer in the US and get it fixed. If you buy a new MB then you have only one year to purchase Starmark as an extended warranty. Starmark is a no deductible policy which is why it is so expensive if you want to purchase additional years when you buy a used MB. Audi's certified program requires a $50 copayment when you bring it in for service. I think BMW's certified program is a no-deductible similar to MB's.

Given the potentially high cost of repairs on a MB or BMW, I would hesitate to purchase a used one without the mfr. certified warranty unless the particular car was very low mileage for it's age AND priced much lower than market value. But that's me; I hate paying big repair bills..!
This discussion has been closed.