Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• rab5rab5 Member Posts: 12
    The FSS adds 0.6 mile for every GOOD mile driven, but subtracts 3 miles for every BAD mile driven. If you drove all bad miles for 3333 miles, your FSS would say time for service. Bad miles are driving without allowing engine to reach operating temp. (short trips), stop and go driving, and driving under a high engine load. Conversely, if you drove all GOOD miles (light load highway miles), your FSS would says time for service at 16,000 miles.
  • pitbossnjpitbossnj Member Posts: 4
    I currently drive a 1997 Mazda Millenia and am looking to upgrade in the Spring. I am considering the Lexus GS or the Benz E class, but don't know which to go with. I am looking for the most luxury possible w/ classy looks and an engine that out preforms most. Which do you recommend I go with? Which is better for the price? Better all round? Should I consider any others? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Thanks for the information. Perhaps I will go to the Zymol site and see about the "imported" wax.

The "Turtle wax" Zymol does work well. The product is easy to apply and remove. As for the shine, I think my car looks great.

I agree that a polymer product like Zaino should last longer. However, Zaino remains untested by RELIABLE sources such as Consumer Reports.
    NU-Finish (a polymer product) did not score as well as Zymol.

Finally, M-B recommends a WAX based product for its cars. Polymer products like Zaino are probably excellent protectants but I prefer to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations.
  • mb_wishmb_wish Member Posts: 4
    I've been reading this forum for a while and finally decided on a 1998 E320. I wanted to post to the list and get opinions on the 1998 model. What is a fair price - are the ones from Edmunds, etc a good representation? Is a Star mark car worth the extra cost and peace of mind? I'm in the DC/Balt area. Can anyone recommend a dealer?
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    pitboss - by all means, drive the Lexus GS and the E-Class, then make up your mind. Both combine performance and luxury to the nth degree. You may also want to try the BMW 5-Series. FWIW, I prefer the E-Class for several reasons: overall "feel" and handling, value retention and certainly good looks. The GS may cost less initially, but it won't hold its value as well. A friend bought a GS300 last year for his wife, and she's already harping to trade it for an E-Class MB.

valueguy - Zaino has been tested by many satisfied users -- try their Town Talk forum under Maintenance & Repair. Incidentally, Consumer Reports rated NuFinish as their top product for several years running and, in fact, got me to start using it. I was satisfied until I tried Zaino, and now I find I don't have to "rub and scrub" when applying the product. As I mentioned, it's easy -- just wipe on, let dry, wipe off.

Finally, I suspect that MB recommends a wax-based product largely because it sells Maguires (wax based) under the Mercedes-Benz label. But again, if Zymol works for you, so be it! LOL.
  • slugger4slugger4 Member Posts: 7
    I have had my 01 E320 for about a month and I still have a big smile on my face every time I even look in the garage. I researched and drove a lot of cars before I decided to pull the trigger on the E320. The GS was nice, but there was a LOT of wind noise around 50-60 mph and let's face it....it's a Toyota. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I drove 3 different BMW 5 series. They all seemed completely different. The first one was nice, the second one was boring and the third one I drove(01 530i) was a dog!! I have driven 5 year old Taurus's that felt more like a driving machine. I seriously thought the VW Passat was a better car than the 5 series. The BMW 3 had some personality and was a contender, but it is just too small. I absolutely LOVE the feeling/performance/styling and looks of my MB!!! I even really like the COMAND now that I have gotten to know how to use it. The only problem with this car is I am afraid to park it anywhwere it might get hurt.
    I have already used Zymol on my new car and it looks great. I am ordering products from Zaino so I can compare.
    I would like to read your opinion comparing Zymol and Zaino. Please let us know. I found the Zymol easy to apply and remove.

What color is your E?

Piboss,
    I agree that the current GS series lacks the looks and feel of the M-B E Class. Lexus will need to do better in 2003 with the GS redesign.
    The BMW 540IA is a fun, fast sporty car. However, the E is more refined, more luxurious and
    IMHO, a better built vehicle.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    You only need look a the literally thousands of rave posts on the Zaino forum and this forum, as well as Lexus, Corvette, and other forums to see test reports that are a lot more reliable than Consumer Reports. CR will never test Zaino, imported Zymol, Blitz One Grand, and many other high-end polishes because they are not aimed at the masses, as is CR.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    You are absolutely right. When I was looking to buy a home theater system I checked CR and they only tested and rated on the likes of Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, etc.......Not one word was mentioned on the high high end brands like Bang & Olufsen, Nakamichi, B&W Speakers, etc.....
    Automophile, Thanks for the information.
    I look forward to reading Slugger4's post on the Zymol Vs. Zaino comparison.

All I can say is that I am satisfied with Zymol.
    My vehicle (E430) is garaged most of the time both at home and at work. So, a wax lasts me a long time (6 months). The Zymol does give a nice shine and leaves the paint very smooth to the touch. As for Zaino, I will let Slugger4 tell me how much better this product really is compared to Zymol. Consumer Reports DID evaluate the Meguire's total car care system which I had been using. The Zymol is easier to use and gives just as good a shine.
  • pitbossnjpitbossnj Member Posts: 4
    thanks for all the help and answers to my questions. I am going to check out the cars this weekend and am including BMW 540IA on the list.
    pitboss
    Consumer Reports does a good job overall of evaluating products. Most upper-end TV sets are included in their evaluations. Similarly, the E and S series M-B vehicles are included.
    However, the Rolls is usually left off the list.

Is Zaino a Rolls-Royce? If so, then is Zymol a BMW or M-B? Please, car waxes are not stereo systems or cars; and even if they were comparable M-B products are good enough for me.
  • y2k4my2k4m Member Posts: 9
    I am one of the many people that has become M-B educated by all your comments and suggestions. I was torn between the RL and the E class, but didn't like the headroom offered by the RL. I took delivery of a '00 E320 4matic (dealer left-over metallic black on black w/E-2 and CD changer) and couldn't be happier! I'll continue to read and comment when I feel I can add something of use. Thanks again to Drew and company for your efforts.
    Come on, valueguy, don't be so defensive about using Zymol. We Zaino users aren't knocking Zymol or Maguires or MB products made by Maguires. We're merely saying that Zaino is an excellent product that surpasses everything we have ever used previously in terms of protection (including UV), ease of use and durability.

And please get your facts straight before you counter -- Consumer Reports does NOT, in fact, report on most high end products. In their December 2000 issue, they did NOT include ProScan (the high-end TV made by RCA), except in "Repair History." And you're flat wrong that they include the S-Class MB; check the April issue and you'll find that the S-Class is conspicuous by its absence. As another poster said, CR reports on products that appeal to and are used by the masses. And the Rolls-Royce is ALWAYS left off the list. I know, because I've subscribed to Consumer Reports for almost 20 years.

And while Zaino may well be the "Rolls-Royce" of car care products, I'm not sure what Zymol is (and I don't really care -- you probably don't either!). But you can bet that CR probably will never test Zaino or report on it unless it eventually enjoys mass distribution. But it certainly IS a high-end product that users find superior to anything else that's available.

So continue to use Zymol or anything else that meets your needs. But, please, don't make assertions that aren't valid. We Zaino users actually don't care whether you're happy with Zymol or any other "wax."
    Almost forgot to mention that Consumer Reports does NOT include MOST high-end TV sets in their evaluations -- much to my disappointmemt, they have NEVER evaluated nor reported on projection TVs (which normally are considerably more costly); they have reported only on sets up to 36" in screen size.

I have found their reports useful -- to a degree -- but they really do exclude reports on many if not most high-end items and those which are not mass distributed. Makes sense, though, considering the demographics of most of their subscribers (or, technically, the members of the Consumers Union).

One last note on CR: They toot their horn about NOT accepting any adverstising, yet they shamefully advertise their almost useless "New Car Price Service" that regurgitates information that is readily available in Edmunds (print or inline) and from many other sources. I tried the service once and felt that I was ripped off. They also advertise their equally useless "Consumer Reports Travel Letter," another rip-off that I've tried, plus a number of CR publications which I have avoided.
  • retiredjeffretiredjeff Member Posts: 33
    I've got another month left before my one year purchase anniversary. Considering warranty alternatives -- has anyone out there successfully negotiated MB warranties, or are they pretty much exactly as quoted in their literature? If anyone's gotten a discount from the listed MB warranty prices, I'd be interested to know where and I'll take my business there.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • lyn8lyn8 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Colorado Rockies and took possession of E430 4matic a month ago. Have driven a lot of two lane roads in western CO for fun as well as break-in. Now it's broken-in and what a car. It shrugs off most road situations via its design and engineering for high speed driving. My first MB, and what a difference over the Ford Taurus SHO. I always wondered if a car could be worth 2.5 times the SHO. I think it is. Got the e1,e2 options incl. the "lights". Can really spot the deer unless of course they are running tangently towards you and appear "mid light" from the side. I'm happy I went the MB and not the 540i, etc. The problem with Colorado is they pour magnesium chloride over most of the main roads cause most people can't drive within their limits and the resort industry is overy paranoid about guests not getting here. It plays havoc with cars and the anticorrosive it contains may not do the job. The 430 is a great car. I haven't even added snow tires. Probably would if I didn't have a choice to drive something else when weather, and mag chloride, is at its worst. Lyn8
  • bargemonbargemon Member Posts: 1
    I taste tested both......

I prefer the imported zymol over the domestic. while the imported is sharper in taste, the domesetic tasted watered down.

I have used Duragloss products for years. A high end product that is similar in its following users love the products. They have a website also. I think when you find a product, and are happy, its nice to hear such enthusiasm.

To those shopping and considering a mercedes.....ask a man or women whom had a bad car accident and survived because the difference was a little variable in the construction of the vehicle they drove. I have heard on occasion that" you need not make an excuse for driving one." That in itself is enough to sway the difference. with that out of the way, I won't buy any thing else, I have extreme brand loyalty for many reasons. Oh, I love my '01 silver 430. Its a blast to drive, and if god forbid have a life threating accident, it will do the best to help me..........Happy new year all-y'all-use guys and gal's. many happy and safe miles driven in the new year......
  • from_autobaunfrom_autobaun Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of a 2001 E320 a week ago. Black, Java interior, E2 package with CD changer. Love it so far. However, I have a comment and a question:

a) I do not know if anyone else have had the same feeling , but compared to the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus, for example, the premium sound package from Bose does not sound as impressive.
    b) What is the best leather cleaner/conditioner would you recommend?

Appreciate any comments and advices from all seasoned MB owner out there.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    When I picked up my desert silver/java E430 a couple of weeks ago, it had been already detailed by the dealer. My original intention was to put off waxing it until the spring. I was merely going to wash it during the first weekend. At the last minute, I decided to do my own detailing and am glad that I did.

For many years, I have used Zymol Platinum wax on lesser cars. This eight ounce jar sells for $100. It smells like a fruit salad. It contains the oils of bananas, melons, honeydew, and 51% white carnauba. It is far superior to the liquid cleaner/wax found in auto stores under the Zymol name.

My experience has been that you can get about seven wax jobs from this jar. I also apply the Zymol HD pre-wax cleanser first. The result when applying it to my new car was that while the dealer's wax job looked clean and had a surface shine, after I applied my product, the result was spectacular. The shine was down deep into the "soul" of the paint.

The wood trim had seemed to look like an imitation of plastic, rather than wood. Today, I discovered something new. I applied regular furniture polish (with lemon oil) to the wood. Suddenly, the wood came alive and now looks like real wood, not plastic.

Jack
  • beecee3beecee3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a German plate for the front of my car. I've seen several websites around offering them, but the websites seem very unprofessional(no online order....poor design...etc..) Thanks and have a happy New Year!
    The Bose system on the E-Class is decent. It is NOT even comparable to the Nakamichi found in recent Lexus cars let alone comparable to the Mark Levinson on the 2001 Lexus models. From my perspective of having a 99 ES300 with Nakamichi and '00 E320 with the Bose
  • need4spdneed4spd Member Posts: 92
    I'm of the same opinion as turbotc. The Bose stereo is pretty good, much better than the stereos of past E cars, but the Lexus Nakamichi system of the past, and the Mark Levinson of the present, are significantly better. Smoother, tighter bass, and more transparent and detailed mids and highs, in a car that's a tad quieter, too. But life's a compromise. The E handles better and is more rewarding to drive. The LS430 rides softer, steers less precisely, and IMHO has bland styling (a fancy Avalon?), but has a more luxurious interior and the room of an S class, and, of course, the better stereo. Both cost about the same (if you compare the LS430 to an E430). Nonetheless, I am in a quandry over whether to spend the (significant) premium to get an E55 (or M5), but if I can't/won't spend the money on a performance car, whether to go bigger/quieter/better stereo (LS430) or better styling/handling/steering (E430). Part of the equation depends on whether MSRP is possible with the E55/M5. Putting a $10-20k "dealer's profit" on top of MSRP (which many dealers are asking; I don't know if they're getting) puts both out of reason, and even if w/in reach $-wise, puts the decision into another class of car (S500 or 750il). I mean, really, for $20k I could buy a nice Honda or Toyota for my kids to use (not to mention paying for grad school tuition, etc.). Paying that as dealer markup means the dealer gets to buy the car for his/her kids, grad school, vacation to the Bahamas, etc.
    OKay, I like Zymol but would prefer the "imported"
    version. Does anyone know how I can acquire this fruity wax? The Zymol web site does not list the imported version.

Bargemon or Tomsky3 can you help?
    I assume you both really like the imported Zymol.
    At $100.00 the cost of the Zymol and Zaino is a dead heat.

As for my '00E430 Bose system I agree that this stereo is clearly lacking compared to the best Lexus has to offer. However, the M-B's feel and "fun to drive" factor are far better than the Lexus GS 400/430
    The E55 should not cost more than MSRP. E-Mail a few dealers and I know one will order you a vehicle at MSRP. I had the opportunity to obtain a E-55 instead of my E430 Sport. The E-55 was full MSRP but no more; my E430 was discounted from MSRP so I decided on the latter with most options.

IMHO, I would rather own a E-55 than a similarly priced S Class. My favorite S is the AMG S-55 which is, of course, 6 figures plus. On a pure power basis the Lexus GS430 with L tuned package offers the best value. However, the exterior styling of the Lexus pales in comparison to the E430. Everything is a trade-off as M-B, BMW, and Lexus all have their good and bad points.
  • mrdietmrdiet Member Posts: 16
    I probably don't belong here, but anyway. Zymol is well known in the several BMW communities I know of (mailing lists, Roundel mag, etc). It smells great, is natural, and gives a great shine for a short time. To get Zymol, you have to get it mail order (go to the web site to order).

That stuff in the retail store is not Zymol, BTW. It's Turtle wax. If MB is like BMW it recommends a carnauba wax, and retail-turtle-Zymol may or may not have any carnauba at all.

A good carnauba wax (besides the real Zymol) is Blitz, which works well with 3M Imperial hand glaze (the glaze is supposed to be used to remove wax and slight scratches). I would never use a rubbing compound myself--even mild cleaners cause scratches on black.

Myself I don't use Blitz or Zymol. I use Zaino.
    I may have gotten a little confused. The Zymol Platinum wax used to be under Zymol's name, but apparently it's now made by Zymol for BHMA (Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories). You can get it in a 12 oz. jar for $99.95. It can be found at

http://www.bhma.com/cgi-bin/bhma.storefront/3a4e8f43027dcc36274c401c4e47062e/Product/View/BHMA180

Jack
    Does anyone know how I can turn off the radio (or CD) while the navigation system is on? I know I could press the mute button, which will shut the sound off. That works temporarily, but sometimes when I inadvertantly hit the volume "+" symbol on the steering wheel with my thumb, all of a sudden, the radio comes on.

The COMAND manual says that you should press the AM/FM button, but I found that it simply toggles between AM and FM.

Jack
  • from_autobaunfrom_autobaun Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to try Zaino products on my new E320. According to Zaino's web site, I should use Dawn hand dishwashing liquid to wash away the wax before using Z1. However, MBUSA web site says, "Avoid using dishwashing detergents, which may cause paint to fade and oxidize."

Who is right? Advice please.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm
    http://www.mbusa.com/owners/container.jsp?/care/exterior.jsp
  • retiredjeffretiredjeff Member Posts: 33
    Using Dawn dishwashing detergent is recommended by Zaino on a one time use only basis - for the sole purpose of removing wax, grease, road grime, etc. that may already be on your car before applying the Zaino polymers (Z-1, Z-2 or Z-5). I suppose you could also use Dawn one time prior to applying any wax product if you wanted to start with a clean car. As Mercedes says, Dawn is way too harsh to use to wash your car every weekend.
    retiredjeff is correct -- use blue Dawn as a car wash only once, to remove wax, grease, etc., prior to using Zaino, a polymer. As for treating leather, I've been using Lexol (two steps: leather cleaner followed by leather treatment) with good results. However, those who have used the equivalent Zaino leather products (Z-9 and Z-10) report that they smell great and help retain the "new car smell."

valueguy -- I agree that the E55 should cost no more than MSRP. And good luck with the "fruity" Zymol. But FWIW, I have to correct a misconception -- at $100 for a 12 oz bottle, the high-end Zymol is FAR more expensive than Zaino. The corresponding Zaino would cost less than $22 -- $8.95 for Z-1 Polish Lok Pre-Conditioner & Gloss Conditioner plus $12.95 for Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coat Paint. However, for an even better shine, Z-6 Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray is recommended ($9.95, and useful as a substitute for a wash IF the dust is first carefully wiped off the paint). So, for a bit more than $30, you can buy enough Zaino to last a year or two (a hallmark of Zaino is that it should be applied VERY sparingly). BTW, do you have any regrets about buying the E430 Sport vs the E-55? I think I recall reading in this forum that the E55 might be a better value given the limited production and resulting higher resale.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Sounds like a noisy steering pump. A couple of M-class owners have also experienced similar issues. It's mostly annoying, and not really problematic. I'd recommend that you bring it in to your dealership and get them to check it out.

Happy New Year everyone!

Drew
    Host of Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    To Drew, and all members of this community.
    Jean
  • 2kc52kc5 Member Posts: 10
    I had the Bridgestone Blizzaks installed before the major snow storm here in the NY area. These tires are great, I can assure you that the combination of transmission winter mode, traction control and Blizzaks will put you in more control than those SUV's on the road. If you are considering winter tires, this is the best choice if you can find them. The model for the E 320 is the MZ01 in 215-55-16 size.
    Was wondering if anyone do their own oil changes. What does FWIW stand for by the way?

Happy New Year !
  • slugger4slugger4 Member Posts: 7
    For what it's worth!
    To all MB owners and fans! Wishing everyone a prosperous and happy 2001!

Drew
    I saw a wax product at the auto store which is color based. Drew, are you familiar with this product. I think it is used to fill small scratches and paint chips.

3m product "rubbing compound" states on the bottle is safe for clear coat finishes. I used the product sparingly on my Silver E430 with no discoloration of the paint.

Drew, which type of Zymol do you use and are you planning on switching to Zaino in the Spring?
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    I had a similar squeaking noise in the steering of my 2000 E320. The problem arose from the dust cover of the steering column under the dash board. The service department cleaned and adjusted the panel with good results. No big problem.

By the way, the Blizzaks on all four wheels make the RED E320 a great car on ice, hard-packed snow, and powder. I highly recommend them for the safety that they provide.
  • mac2002mac2002 Member Posts: 17
    Ordered a 2001 E55. Had to go to an out of town dealer to be allowed European delivery. The local dealer, after learning that I had secured a E55 w/Euro delivery, changed their tune, and said they could arrange it. I will obviously be getting service there - so I'll see how they run their service dept, and if I purchase a MB in the future, then I may consider giving them my business.
    The purchase order shows my delivery date of April 13, 2001 - I ordered it November 8. Can anyone offer any first hand info on how close they might come to having it ready on that date? Also would like to see if anyone here has experiences with the Euro delivery, good or bad.

Lotsa debate here on the use of the various wax/polish products. Just wondered if anyone has anything to say about the stuff from Griot's Garage - they have an interesting website from which I just purchased his Detailer's Handbook.
    Mac
    Is Euro delivery the same price as buying stateside? Did you (are you going to) pay MSRP, above or below? Where is your local/out of town dlr.? Thx.
  • mac2002mac2002 Member Posts: 17
    With European delivery, you do NOT pay the delivery charge (over $600). Go to Mercedes Benz website for details. Anyways, the local dealership in Las Vegas initially denied availability of Euro delivery for the E55 model - a friend referred me to Downtown L.A. Motors, in Los Angeles - they also have their own website.

I am paying MSRP. What are you driving, and how is it going for you?
    Currently driving an M3. Looking for a bit more size, but w/comparable (or better) performance, comparable or better ride characteristics (the latter may or may not be obtainable with the E55). I figure the new M3 is going to be impossible to obtain, and anyway, it's not going to be big enough, and most likely the dealers will be asking enough of a premium on the new M3 to make an E55 at MSRP a real option for a few $k more. Price is still a consideration; it wasn't that long ago (or maybe it was; I'm just getting old) that you could buy a house (at least in some parts of the country) for what an E55 costs. Saving the $600 destination charge is insignificant given the overall cost of the car. There was a time when you'd save several $k on Euro delivery, which would pay for the vacation and then some, which made up for having to wait for your car stateside (after being teased a bit by driving it flat out on the autobahn!).
  • ocgoodlifeocgoodlife Member Posts: 2
    I'm an '01 E320 owner trying to program one of the buttons in the rearview mirror housing to operate my garage door opener. Got a Lift-Master (made by Chamberlain) with the Security+ rolling code operator. For the life of me, I can't get it to work. I've programmed my Lexus' Homelink to do it. Has anyone done it successfully? Perhaps, does a garage door opener support only one vehicle with the Homelink opener?
  • ocgoodlifeocgoodlife Member Posts: 2
    Another E320 question. You with '00 and newer E320's have that 4 yrs of free maintenance--it calls for oil changes every 10K miles. The dealer told me that because they used synthetic oils, you don't have to do the every-3000-mile-oil-change routine, unless I want the oil companies to make more money. Anyone have an expert opinion on this? This topic may have been discussed in the past, but I'm new to this message board...
    Most people do have trouble programming in the rolling code garage door openers. I believe what you have to do is clear the Homelink's memory first. I think you do this by pressing two of the outer buttons and holding them down. Can someone please confirm this? It should work after. BUT, be aware that Homelink is not compatible with every single garage door opener out there. Most of them, but not all.

WRT the oil, no, only AMG-tuned MB vehicles come with Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic oil from the factory. I believe Mobil 1 non-synthetic oil is used for other MBzs. FYI. 0W40 is not available in North America. However, 0W30, 5W30, 10W30, and 15W30 are all available, and all suitable as well, regardless of where you live. Personally, I use 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic.

I did an early (unscheduled) oil change - this is for my '00 ML320 though, not my E320 - to the synthetic stuff at about 3500+kms, well after the engine was broken in. I changed over to synthetic mostly for peace of mind during the long oil change intervals (not that I have any doubt that the FSS computer's recommendation and regular oil will be fine). I also noticed a slight improvement in smoothness at higher revs, as well as a small (1/2 to 3/4 mpg) improvement in fuel economy.

My service advisor gave me the usual "oh no, you shouldn't do this that early" when I requested the oil change, but everything has been just fine so far for the last 10200kms. As far as I was concerned, since the AMG-tuned engines could handle synthetic right from the factory, the regular MB engines should too after break-in. Also FYI, I bought my own oil from Walmart since it is usually the cheapest place to get Mobil 1. Your service department should have no problem with this arrangement. The FSS counter was not reset during the early oil change (though the counter did detect the new oil and increased the interval by 500kms from 14.5K kms to 15K kms to Service A) so that one can tell when Service A is due.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Drew
    I have Life-Master 1/2 horsepower openers and YES I did successfully program my '00 E320 and my '99 Lexus ES300, both with rolling codes. They work beautiful. You have to follow step by step from the MB manual. That was what I did. You may have to repeat the procedure 2 or 3 times before it will learn it. I will check my MB manual when I get home to refresh my memory and tell you exactly how I did it.

As far as the oil changes. I plan to bring Mobil 1 5w-30 in and have dealer do oil change at scheduled maintanance. Between that I do my own oil change using Mobil 1 5w-30 as well. I don't feel comforable waiting 12k or so between oil changes. This way a $40 job makes me feel much better. Hey it's a $50k car right?
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    duragloss.com

Founded in 1975 by Dr. William Bailey.

I have been useing duragloss since 1988 and love the product. The interior products are great and my old s class stayed new looking for 11 years.

A full range of high quality products. I remember having a question and got to speak to the Dr., I like accesabilty, and because of that I am a loyal customer, and the stuff works.

Bose: I thought the bose was great till I spent a few days in an 1998 S500. A better bose with bigger speakers and four woofers in back deck! I think the stereo works extremely well. Sound is a personal choice. Aftermarket sounds are not integrated but with powerful components have an "in your face" type sound. THe bose is ambient in that it fills the car with non-directional sound. Aftermarket: you know where its comming from. THose that spend 2-5k to upgrade sound is going to tout the benefits because they just spent the jack. THis is my personal opinion. Preffered sound is a personal opinion and there is no right or wrong, if you like it, great. I am not familiar with lexus stereo choices, but I would never let it determine my auto choice. Int he old days, benz made great cars with bad sounding stereos!
    Press the training button on your garage opener. Then go back to your car and press one of the 3 homelink buttons and let go. Then press it again and let go again. This should work now. You may have to repeat these steps 2 or 3 times if the initial does not work. The MB manual say this as well. I had to do the 3rd time before mine worked. very easy to do. You do not need to hold up the transmitter to your rearview mirror and press both buttons at once. That won't work with rolling code openers.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    It's now time for me to decide whether or not to renew the teleaid. I have never used it, but they, MB, said if I deactivate it, everything will be deactivated, even SOS.

So I just wanted to know what other people's opinions were concerning the teleaid and if they will be renewing it or not.

Thanks for the input.
This discussion has been closed.