Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mollymaxmollymax Member Posts: 25
    Could you explain how that works? I know what an i-pod is, but not familiar with Mp3 and what does that have to do with the CD player?
  • stevebc16stevebc16 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered an E350 with the Bi-Xenon lights. Given the good halogen system on the E class, the dealer sales rep did not really think that I needed the Bi-xenon lights. I have until the first week in August to delete the lights from my order and would appreciate any comments, both pro and con, regarding these lights.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. After a 12 year hiatus, I am returning to Mercedes Benz. I looked at the Lexus GS 300, BMW 530 XI, Accura RL and Audi A6 and was impressed with the new E350. I hope I made the right decision and would again appreciate any feedback from this forum.
    If you want the most miles per gallon.........check out the CDI.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    is a standard format for music files. While the Ipod can play MP3 files, the Ipod also supports its own proprietary music format called AAC. Many companies make MP3 players that function basically like an Ipod. Only Apple makes a player that supports AAC.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Had 1999 E w/xenons. Very bright but sharp cutoff. Now have 2001 E which had regular lights. Changed bulbs to Sylvania BrightStars. Big improvement and have light further down the road. Dealer installed n/c. All this for $40.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Steve, I have the Bi-Xenons on my 2002 ML500. I have the regular headlights on my 2000 E430 sport. I really like the bi-xenons as they seem to be brighter and more focused.

For the xenons, the "brights" work on the same headlight. The shutter will be raised and lowered when you activate the high-beam lever. If you are outside the vehicle, you can hear the shutter click when it is activated.

If your headlights are in the off position and you want to "flash" someone, there is another light in your headlight assembly that will come on for that purpose. The xenons will not flash unless they are fully activated. That's what the additional "high beam" light is for. That is the way it is on my ML500.

I think you will like the xenons... so, go ahead and order them.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • pguptapgupta Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 E320.CD changer plays MP3s. No problems. The dash readout does not give names of the songs. Everything else is ok.
    I have a 4 month old E320 with 3200 miles on it. After the 3000 mile diagnostic check-up, for the first time, I got a Low Battery message. Went away in 2-3 mins. Everything was normal for a few days. Since last evening, I have recieved the same message like 5 time over a 60 min driving period. All of the convenience features stop working, AC fan turns to lowest speed possible.

Can somebody help...What's going on?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Looks like you have a defective battery. Take it in to the dealer for a replacement.

Funny thing, my 2000 E430 is still on the original battery. I have 29,800 miles on it and I will have had the car for 6 years coming up in October. I probably should replace the battery just so that I'm not stuck somewhere when it finally goes out.

Happy Motoring.. mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I would replace it or carry a set of battery jumpers.
  • oceanmanoceanman Member Posts: 1
    I have the bi-xenon on my 05 E320 (standard with the appearance package)and are wonderful. I am 68 years old and need all the help I can get driving at night. They follow around curves and are great. I would not hesitate getting them.
  • warlock400warlock400 Member Posts: 1
    Can any body tell me what the part number is and the model number is for the cd player that go's in my car.
    It is a 1995 E300D 4 dr sedan.
    It seem like the dealers where i am dont seem to know.
    And if any one knows what years fit.
    Thanks.
    Harold.
    warlock400.
    Looking for CD for 1999 E320. Any sellers other than dealers? They want $400 plus $200 for complete installation.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe someone can point you in the direction of a website or something, but no one can directly sell anything in our Forums. I know you've been around plenty long enough to know that, but I just don't want anyone to misunderstand the nature of your request. :blush:
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Pat..............you really can "spank" diplomatically. smile:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think that's a compliment :-) but no "spank" intended ... honest!! :shades:
  • scooby6scooby6 Member Posts: 9
    2006 E350 with the exact same problem. A/C in AUTO mode, the fan seems to never cycle down once the car gets cool, so you have to manually overide. Dealer says this is normal, but it didn't happen in the E500 loaner they gave me (which has the same A/C system). Today, it wasn't nearly as hot, so it started out at about the 3rd highest fan speed; however, it still never cycled down. Seems that whatever speed it starts at, it tends to stay on that speed. Extremely annoying as you start to get too cold and can't comfortably listen to the radio. Having the manually select settings should not be the solution. Class Action anyone?
  • pisciottapisciotta Member Posts: 54
    Maybe you have the temperature setting to low (65-67) just guessing here, also when you set the temperature low and the fan is running high speed, as you turn the temperature setting up does the fan slow down?
    No, it's set a 72, when you turn it to 74 (goes in 2 degree increments), it doesn't slow down. Move again to 76, and it still doesn't slow down but the air now starts coming out warmer. Either it doesn't function properly, or this is just how it works - in which case I never would have leased if I had any idea.

Did I mention the dealer forgot to sign the lease! Couldn't I just take it back with no further obligation? Will check with an attorney.
    My friend just brought 06 E350 and just so you know the steering wheel controls for the radio dont play the preset stations, It scans from 87.1 to 108.5 that S*%*s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, I noticed that too. Another malfunction, or just plain poor design, that causes you to have to take your eyes off the road. It's also a bit strange not to have the radio contraols on the same side of the steering wheel (volume is on the right side, station changes on the left. CD changing in the 6-dc in dash changer is very clanky and noisy. I could probably live with all this, but the LOUD A/C fan is unbearable.
    Hi just so you know there is a Lease Questions forum here you may want to check it out about your lease questions!!
  • acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Yes,

IMO, the radio controls are PATHETIC, not even worthy of a design on a disposable car. You can not scan thru presets, just basically hit every freaking station as the up/down arrows take you to the next/previous strongest station.

Also - since its a world car, for those with right hand drive cars, to choose a preset is a short reach, but for those of us on the left and here in the states, you absolutely can't do it w/o taking your eyes off the road, especially if you're tall in which case your seat is far back.

I would give the chasis/suspension guys an A+ on design, and MB engineers who designed the damn radio/command and absolute "F" as they don't deserve to have jobs the design, IMO, is that poor.

Aceman
    I agree. But that MUST be a sofware thing or something that can be fixed. No one can be that STUPID to design a radio that doesn't scan through the pre-sets, can they?? My e350 has the same issue, and it is extremely annoying, AND dangerous. I don't undertand why bother even having presets then. The system does all sorts of things, but the most basic function of sanning the preset channels - somebody pinch me, this can't be happening. Of course, that's not something you even check on a test drive, who would think to check that!? Again, there is no way MB can be this STUPID, this is just someone's idea of a cruel joke, right?
    Hey Scooby,

I of course didn't find this out till after i bought the car as well. It flat out kills my channel surfing. Unfortunately, as discussed on other MB forums, MBUSA has been aware of this for 3 model years now (starting with 2003), and still no fix. I wouldn't hold your breath. Just amazing they can give you 4 zone heating/cooling, courtesy lights that go on/off depending on ambient light, they can give you a car with active air suspension, etc. etc.....and they miss this :mad:

Acenj
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Fix? There's a "fix" for this. Don't think so. For all the engineers they got, there's something they can do. It's whether they want to or not!
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    Interesting. This probably is a software thing. I could have sworn that on my 2001 I can set the behavior of this through the settings menu (only accessable when stopped). I may be wrong, I'll check next time I'm in the car.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2000 E320 and I have had to override the fan speeds since I got the car. I've gotten used to it for the most part, but my wife's 2002 A6 is much better. On her car, you can change the temp setting a degree and notice the difference. In my E320, you have to change it by several degrees for anything to happen, then you usually overshoot the mark, so it's much easier to override.

BTW, I haven't had problems with the radio settings.
    Well, you may be aware of my radio, clicking seats, and AC fan issues, but it's gotten much worse. The other day, teh CD player just died while driving and reset itself, a "clanking" sort of noise is now coming from somewhere in the passenger area, the steering is now noticeably out of alignment and TODAY guess what happened.....

While merging onto 495 at 10:20 AM (at the infamous "mixing bowl" in Northern VA), the TRANSMISSION goes out !!!! In not making this up...two weeks old, 2006 E350 w/ less than 300 miles and I break down on one of the most dangerous roads in the U.S. Thank God I was in the far lane and had enough "roll" left to glide onto the shoulder. Put it in drive, hit the accelerator, and the engine just revs. I hate to think if this would have happened while my wife and 3 year old twin girls were in the car instead of just me. I call the dealer (5 minutes away) that they said push the help button in the car, that they can't help me (2 weeks earlier they were rolling out the red carpet) - MB then comes on line and says they'll be there in about an hour or so....so I wait on the side of 495, with cars and semis zooming by at speeds approxaching 80+ mph. The other day, someone got killed (hit) by a vehicle when he was on the side of the road in this same area.

This car is not only a total LEMON, it is dangerous.

Then, I take the loaner they give me (a Mazada 3) and drive over the Acura dealer to test drive the RL. Actually, a much more comfortable car to drive, but the Navigation system looks my kid drew the maps w/ a crayon, and the back seats have NO headroom. Dealer says he can get me out of the Benz deal, and will give me the RL at first month payment down, and $621 mo for 36 mo/12K miles a year. Very tempting, but the back seats and poor layout of hte Nav system I wasn't sure about. Aside from that, it's a comfortable care (nice big arm rest vs. mercedes).

However, when its working, the e350 seems like a great car. Maybe I'm just the lucky one that picked out the LEMON on the lot, but it's scary to think they can put in in another one (which they are now offering to do) and the same thing could happen.
    Just had a new instrument cluster replaced--warranty. It works fine except that the MPG screen now starts off @ 7.9mpg.To finally get to a correct reading I have to drive about 100 miles. This also throws off my "distance to empty" reading
    I NEED YOUR INPUT!
    What is the starting mpg reading when you first start up in the morning? My service guy has no clue how to correct this. Is it adjustable?
    My wife has a 350SLK and it starts off @ 20mpg so readings are accurate almost immediately.
    HELP! Thanks for any help.
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    Buy a Lexus.
    Hey scooby,

You've got to be one of the only guys i've ever heard complaining about acura's nav. Its one of the BEST nav's in the industry!

aceman
    I hear that too, and I'm sure it's great, but the MB screen just looks so much better than the Acura's. A much more crip, clear picture - WHEN IT'S WORKING.
    The dealer flashed the software for the alternator. Saying that the software was old. After 10 days, this morning after about 300 miles...the same message comes back on. So I take it in. The advisor says he may have to replace the battery or the alternator..am waiting to hear from them. Any one with similar problems or has an advice.
    Have a 17K 2004 ES 330 Lexus and a 3K 2005 E320. I have been to Lexus dealer for only scheduled service. And MB like 5 times, for SBC pump noise damper issue and Low Battery problems, still unsolved. I am thinking why the hell did I plunk money to buy E320 when I could have just bought another LEXUS.

Hope the new CEO will fix quality issues in the future..But what about suckers like me who bought them already?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The two things you mention should have been covered in the recent recall of the E-Class and other models, especially the low-battery problem.

M
    The noise damper issue..solved. The Low battery - the software update was made..but the indicator still came back on. So am still waiting..the car is in the shop.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I was up for a 2006 e3504matic wagon but have been told the electronic brakes are still a major problem.
    Because of that I may stay with my S430 4matic and ML. Both excellent.

Comments please
    I have a 2005 E500 4matic and while its a weird feeling, you get used to the brakes. This is another area where mercedes obviously felt the need to develop something that's totally useless IMO but what do i know, kind of like putting a fiber optic network in the car that doesn't work properly (model year 2003). Its just another thing you can add to the list, like setting a analog clock with a digital display - NOW THAT MAKES SENSE!

aceman
  • lessbslessbs Member Posts: 13
    I have a 1999 Lexus GS300, bought new. I have done nothing to it except scheduled maintenance, new battery and new tires. The new GS 300 is ok, but still under-powered, and they took the trunk away-not as good as the car I have. I test drove the Infinity M35 and M40, but really am not in love with it's looks. I'm 6'3" and can't fit into the 5-series BMW. I am seriously considering either the E350 Sedan or CLK350 2dr Coupe, but am getting scared reading the problems people are having with these cars. I thought it would be fun to order the car for delivery in europe, but am having second thoughts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • harley3harley3 Member Posts: 10
    I had one installed at a local stereo shop for under $300 including labor and unit
    Chicagoland Area
  • harley3harley3 Member Posts: 10
    I would suggest shopping on line and doing the install yorself ..... I replaced on ein my 1998 E300d .... It was under $200.00 and only took 20 minutes to make the swap . Old out and he new one in ......... Just my opinion ..
  • ridgelljkridgelljk Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 E320 and I am replacing the MXV4 plus tires. So confusing..., any suggestions. I know the new MXV4 have been changed. Discount tire and MB dealership swear by them, but people love the Turanza's, Also Michelin has the new Pilot Exalto A/s with new maybe better technology. I always feel like I'm getting sold instead of good advice. Any good real world advice? Thanks.
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    1998 E300 Have been a Michelin fan for over 25 years. After a harrowing experience with the MXV4 tires I switched to TURANZA. I will never buy a Michelin tire ever again. Well pleased with ride, handling, and wear with the Turanza, would highly recommend. :)
  • ridgelljkridgelljk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I've been a Michelin fan too, but the car got went sideways in a slow turn in very little water. I couldn't believe it. Is yours a similar experience?
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Wife had a clk and it had no problems, except one switch one time.....I am a bit confused myself as to the number of complints with Mercedes...I think they are very nice cars.....I do not think I would get a european delivery....I think I would go to your local dealer, and if they treated you with repect and you settled on a car, I would make it part of the transation that if there were any serious problems you got a loaner until your car was fixed to your satisfaction.....I think the dealership would make all the difference....If you felt in any way the dealership was not a quality one, I would not buy that brand no matter what.....Tony
  • lessbslessbs Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the response. I think you arrange the european delivery by buying thru the local dealer and dealing with them. This should result in developing the same relationship as if the car was delivered locally. I now live in Seattle, but am considering moving to the Bay Area. It may be best to buy down there after I finally make up my mind.

Thanks again for your advice,
    Ron
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    :cry: Slow turn,dry pavement, sidewalls collapsed and two tires deflated. Had to drive home on one deflated tire which of course was ruined. Never again I felt the sidewalls were too soft to give easy ride.
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    My '96 E320 has 65K miles on it. I like it but after reading reviews about MB I always wonder when it starts giving me problem(s). I found a local shop which has 2 guys who used to work for MB dealership. They do a VERY good job at a VERY reasonable price. They told me that my inline 6 has a 50/50 chance of head gasket problem and they are surprised that there is no recall, they said that probably not related to safety. Other than that the '96 inline 6 is a very good car. Statistically , Lexus would be more reliable, does not mean that it's trouble free. My '87 Camry has 190K miles and NEVER been in garage due to problems, only for maintenance, and I do most the light work myself. It has been VERY VERY reliable. So.... for my next car I would consider Lexus 430 sedan, but not until I have 300K miles on my E320 so I cross my fingers...
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    I have a '96 E320 with 65K miles on it. I like it, but after reading so many reviews about MB's quality I always have a concern about when my car will give me problem(s). luckly I found a local shop which has 2 guys who worked at MB dealer shop before (20 yrs & 10 yrs), they do a VERY good job at a VERY reasonable price. They are surprised that MB has not had a recall on head gasket problem with inline 6. Other than that inline V6 MB is a very good car according them. They told me that there is a 50/50 chance that my car's head gasket will leak, just a matter of when and how much. They also told me that if it just small leaks then nothing to worry about, if it drips on the floor then consider replacing the head gasket, even after changing it, there is no guarantee that it wouldn't occur again. Statistically, Lexus will give offer more reliability, does not mean trouble free, my '87 Camry has 190K on it and still doing OK, body started to rust but it has been VERY reliable, NEVER had any problems, just regular maintenance and I do most of the work myself. So.... my next car most likely would be Lexus 430 sedan, but not until my MB reaches 300K and beyond.
This discussion has been closed.