Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Hi, Ridge:

I have an '05 Acura TL which comes with the Bridgeston Turanza EL42 tires. I don't know if these are the same as you're considering buy my MAJOR CAVEAT is snow performance: in a word, POOR! I'm in Boston, so snow is a fact of life (not to mention I'm a skier in ME, NH and VT). I've driven FWD all my life with all-season's and never had a problem, 'till this past winter. The only thing that kept me on the snowy road was common snow-driving sense, the Acura's traction electronics and probably luck. In standing water, I think they hydroplane fairly easily too.

So, if you're in a snow belt, I'd avoid these tires or plan on snows (as I may)...

Really like the E350, tested an E320 but (New England frugality always wins with me, unfortunately) I just didn't see the E as $20k more car than the TL. Kinda galling that with MB (or BMW, Audi, all Europeans, I guess) you have to pay extra for metallic paint, HID headlamps, heated seats, sunroof, etc. whereas with the TL you get it all.

Still every time I see an E, well, I want one. I'm so cheap!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Replaced tires on my 2001 E320 Sport ---235/45/17---w/ Pirelli P Zero Nero's. Had Michelin XGT4's. Like night and day.Great all around tire. Do the research @ Tirerack.com. No comparison.Not sure that the Pirelli's come in the 16" but worth a try. Also they are lower price. Got the best deal @ Discount Tire.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    After what seemed like a very long hiatus, this board seems to be filling up with quite a few posts which unfortunately continue the saga of Mercedes quality problems, now apparently afflicting the new E350. This is really too bad, and while there are likely to be some/many E350 owners with no complaints, these types of reports simply fuel the fire which is that Mercedes has really fallen flat on its face on quality. I have been hanging on to my 97 BMW 528 - which has been a good car - trying to drive and evaluate all of the new LPS models (GS, M, E350, RL, STS, 530, A6, etc). I've driven them all except the Audi and have found that each has its set of pluses and minuses (some are personal choice issues), and that none is perfect. After driving the E350 I was very impressed except for the lack of ventilated seats and XM radio (don't want Sirius). I spoke candidly with the Merc salesperson about all of the recent quality issues and he assured me' that, yes, they had been a problem, were mostly electrical nits, and had been of great concern to HQ and had been fixed for the E350. Apparently not. At this point, I plan to hang on to my 528 (128Kmiles) and wait to drive some upcoming but very dissimilar models, both Lexi: the IS350 and the LS460. Given what is happening with fuel prices, I may factor that in too. Appreciate fora like this to get the 411 from real owners.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Placed the Pirelli P Zero Nero's (summer tires) on my '03 530i SP and love'em! Very good dry and wet performance. Also, not noisy (yet!). Recommend on-car high-speed balance and nitrogen vs. air in the tires.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I had to buy two replacement snows 2 years ago for my 2001 E with 16" rims and like Shipo, I ended up with Michelin Alpin on one axle and two older Nokia tires on the other axle. The Nokias are excellent on fresh snow but noisy on dry pavement. On the other hand the Michelins are excellent on snow and very quiet on dry pavement. I'd recommend the Michelins. For rims, I got a set from TireRack 6 years ago (originally for my '96 E) made by Borbet. I have done what you plan to do; use the factory wheels for the snow tires; I figure the factory wheels will stand up better to the road salt, etc. The Borbet wheels are much sportier and look great in the summer. And having them permanently mounted makes it simple for me to swap them out twice a year without paying for re-mounting and balancing. (I have had a compressor and air wrench for many years!)

Re: lack of 4-matic. My rear wheel drive 2001 has the ESP and ASR and until I drove it last winter on snowy and icy streets, I had my doubts whether it was going to be OK for bad weather. But I was amazed at how surefooted this car is with the snows and the ESP switched on. You have to intentionally defy the laws of physics in order to get it to lose traction and go into a spin. It is an incredible system and I'll never even consider 4-matic from now on. Of course I rarely ever **must** go in the middle of a snow storm, so it isn't imperative for me anyway.
    :D
    When I bought my 96 E320 in 1998, the dealer gave me the phone number of the sound shop that installed all their CD's and radios and the guy did it for $300.. A few years later I needed a replacement unit and got one on eBAy for $140. Took maybe 4 minutes to swap it out. Installation on the 1996-1999 is a piece of cake. The cable is already in the trunk under the floormat on the driver side of the car. All you need to do is mount it to the underside of the rear deck and connect it to the cable.
    :surprise:
  • sacguysacguy Member Posts: 27
    I have had my 2006 E350 for two months now and I love the car. I was skeptical when purchasing due to reliability concerns and actually backed out of a deal in February for an 05 E500. I went and looked at all the competitors, several times and just decided to take the plunge for what I wanted - E350 with premium and appearance packages, charcoal interior and flint grey exterior. The appearance pkg makes all the difference in the look of the car and the flint grey is beautiful - dark grey with specks of coordinating metallic blue, silver and purple. The car has been a dream to drive and is so comfortable on long drives. It handles nicely and feels very stable on the road. I have had zero problems and have not had to take it back to the dealer for anything. I can't even fault the SBC brakes which have performed like a charm and the 7 speed V6 engine is quick, smooth and responsive. Yes it cost more than some of the competitors but I feel it was worth it and I get so many compliments on the car from strangers and passengers. We shall see how the long term reliability holds up, but so far so good. :D
  • turquoise_e1turquoise_e1 Member Posts: 18
    I have misplaced one of the my 2000 E's key and need to get replacement. Wonder if anyone knows how much it costs and experience?
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    One quick call to a MB dealer should answer your question for how much and how long it will take to replace it.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    A friend of mine had to replace the key on his 2001 S500. The key is very similar to "our" 2000 E's. It was $165.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • roaringmouseroaringmouse Member Posts: 4
    My mother bought her E350 just last month. On Thursday, her car suddenly was unable to exceed 15mph. It had to be towed to the dealership.

When the customer service rep test drove the car, he told my mother that it was a problem with the transmission. The dealer gave her a loaner car to drive until her car could be fixed.

On Friday, at the end of the business day, the dealership phoned my mother and told her that one of the service mechanics would be *taking the car home with him for the weekend*.

The service mechanic that would be taking her car lives 40 miles from the dealership in an area of L.A. that I *really* would NOT be comfortable parking a $50k car in. What's the deal? Is this NORMAL??

Firstly, I take issue with a new car, only a month owned, already having problems. But above and beyond that, I find it incredibly dodgy for a mechanic to take someone's car off the premises and keep it at their home for the weekend!

The dealership assured my mother that it's par for the course and they are insured, should anything happen to her car; however, if something DID happen to her car, it would pay for repairs, not replace her car. Therefore, her new car would become a salvage.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it common for the 2006 E350 to have transmission problems? Is it a common and acceptable procedure for a mechanic (at the MB dealership, mind you) to take the client's car home with them?

Thanks.

(also cross-posted to the Problems & Solutions board)
    No way should one of the mechs be taking the car home, whether he lives in the slums or Beverly Hills. If the dealer feels that they need to test drive the car in order to ascertain what is wrong, then the time to do this in regular business hours from the dealership. As far as your tranny problems go, unfortunately these do not seem that uncommon with the E350. Several other Merc boards have lots of folks reporting similar issues. I love the style, size and performance of the E350, but the relentless troubles with the E in general and now the E350 have dampened by enthusiasm to trade my BMW for one.
  • roaringmouseroaringmouse Member Posts: 4
    My mother picked up her car today. The service department claims the mechanic only took her car overnight (drove it to his home Friday and returned it Saturday), which is simply *fascinating* to me, considering the mechanic put 150 miles on the car. In addition to the incredible additional mileage they put on the car for "test driving" it, the cream interior was filthy with grease marks, several personal items (a mini-mag flashlight and a CD) were missing, and there was a crack in the windshield. They promised to repair the windshield tomorrow.

The service department claims that the transmission problem was due to low transmission fluid. I really find that hard to believe. And they needed to take the car off the premises and drive it *150 miles* in order to determine this?!

The car seems to be running okay for the moment. We'll see what happens.

Incidentally, the dealership where her car was serviced was the Rusnak in Arcadia, CA. If you get your MB serviced there as well, please beware. After having read the Rusnak website, I had to laugh. Number one in service? More like number one in serving themselves---with *your* car.
  • mbz8991mbz8991 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a rattling noise when I turn on my A/c, it appears this happens when my A/C Compressor comes on. The A/C works, however, it is accompanied by the sound.........Any suggestions?

Thank you....
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    When a carmaker puts out a new design for a major part like the transmission, the air suspension, the overhaul of the electronic control etc., there are always some issues. The 01 E320 4matic wagons I got had the big leak of the transmission oil the first week I took it home; the combination of the unnecessary auto and manual shift tranny was still quite new then. The Touareg V10 I got last year had so much things to be corrected; even the opening of the fuel tank neck can’t fit the nuzzles at many diesel isles. The 04 Allroad 4.2 drove me nut for its air suspension problems. And this is the first year for the E350 equipped with the 7A tranny, maybe there are some bugs MB yet to pick. For taking home the car by a mechanic to test the problem of the car is new to me. I wouldn’t let any body take my E320 CDI which I just picked up two weeks ago home. On Touareg Vortex forum I did see quite a few times that car owners requested that the mechanics to test drive their cars to verify the existing problems, but I haven’t seen anybody mentioning the car be taken home for the purpose of testing the car. I am glad the 06 CDI and other 4matic models still got the 5A tranny which has been on the market for years.
  • sacguysacguy Member Posts: 27
    Luxury Mid Size sport sedans August 2005 US sales numbers:

MB E-class: 5.011
    BMW 5-series: 4.359
    Lexus GS: 3.335
    Infiniti M: 2.623
    Acura RL: 1.721
    AUDI A6: 1.509
  • retired_bumretired_bum Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to find info on upgrading my (on order) 2006 E320 CDI. Can I find some technical information on the stereo? Someone got a link? Will it play DVD - Audio disks? What amplifiers can be upgraded? What about iPod Integration? Can I use AUX Input to have XM Radio instead of Sirius? Any links you could email to me would be appreciated - Thankx
  • bernard4bernard4 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2005 e320 Sedan New. Seems at times the car boggs to almost stall, just like getting out of 1st gear on stick shift. One time it stalled on my mom driving on the freeway. Did this happen to anyone else? If so, what could be the problem? Thanks! Also, when the brake pedal pulsates after a few pumps, is that normal?
  • bernard4bernard4 Member Posts: 2
    HID lighting is better overall! Although, thieves look for such things. My friends headlights (HID) got ripped off and total damages were 6k @ 1k deductible! Good Luck!
  • phlee13phlee13 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased a 2000 e320 with the smart key. I was wondering if it is possible to reprogram the ignition part of the car and the keys with new codes. I lost the smart keys and worry about losing the car to theft. thank you
  • pugglepuggle Member Posts: 7
    its $150.00 and must be ordered thruogh the service dept. before 10am for 2 day delivery to dealer only you must go there to have it programmed. and provide proof of . ownership . these are laser cut keys.
    the problem you are referring to is called limp mode its a protective feature to save tramission from frying . this should not be happening on a 06 i would not let any dealer take car home . they know how to fix this problem needs new tranny module . easy repair.
    to reset thiswith key in position 2 press reset button on the dast 2 times until it resets if you cant figure it out call mbusa and ask for roadside dept. they will walk you through the fix over the phone they have very knowleable inhouse people working there and know how to fix alot of problems. without taking to service dept. i know i used to work there.
  • ray00edmray00edm Member Posts: 12
    My 2006 E350 also has this problem that the A/C fan does not go down. Adjusting the temperature does not change it. Dealer is still in denial in the first visit. I will try my luck with a special visit appointment to see if they will change what they are saying.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A reporter is looking to interview folks who recently bought, ordered, or are considering ordering an AWD BMW 5-Series, Cadillac STS4, Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic, Audi A6 Quattro or Lexus GS300 AWD and is getting the car to replace an SUV. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, September 15, 2005 with your daytime contact information and the makes/models of the vehicles coming and going in your life at this time.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • flyeredflyered Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 E320 4Matic with about 46k miles and the manufacturer's warranty is about to run out. We've had our share of issues, mostly not serious but pesky and time consuming. Steering wheel continues to squeak, especially in warmer weather, despite repeated efforts to fix the problem. After swapping every part imaginable in the steering column, the dealer is now telling us that the squeaking is not serious and with time the pieces that are rubbing together and making noise will grind down to the point where the sqeak will stop. Does anybody have a view? A squeaky steering wheel is unsettling, particularly in a $50k car! I do like the safety features of the car and want to hold on to it - hence extended warranty question. I have looked at 1Source and Warranty Direct, which both price out at about $3k for a 4yr (additional) with 80k
    -100k miles (total). Mercedes repairs can certainly be expensive, but 3k upfront is a lot of dough. What do people think? Should I get the warranty or "self-insure"? Thoughts on extended warranty and squeaky steering wheel appreciated.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I don't have much to add other than my 2001 E320 4matic also has the squeaky (it sounds more like a plastic on plastic or rubber on rubber moan on my car) steering wheel. Also only in warmer weather. I mentioned to them that I thought it was related to temperature change. Of course I know nothing. They changed a power steering boot. Well, it took two tries, first time it "popped back off", which I noticed as an unusual amount of road noise getting into the cabin. Typical...multiple visits for a problem.

Oh, I still have the groan.

It's pretty clear what has happened w/Mercedes. In one of the other forums (LPS I think) someone posted an MSNBC link to a story detailing how Mercedes put pressure on suppliers to cut costs. And it allowed these suppliers to be less strict on tolerances to meet those goals.

I've had two fan speed regulators go.
    I have the steering wheel that groans when it's warm.
    I currently have a speedometer that jumps rather than sweeps once my car has been parked in a a hot parking lot all day.
    My drivers side headrest motor burned out in the first year. I'm the only driver of this car so it is NEVER used.
    My car was serviced 3 times for leaks in the transmission (identified as 3 different components).
    There is plenty more where this came from...

My parents, in Florida, have had 3(!) rear windows drop/shatter due to failed lifter mechanisms.

After the transmission fiasco, the dealership gave me a complimentary 1 yr extension on the warrantee, I guess under starmark. That made my coverage 5 yrs/100K (from 4/50K). No sooner does the factory warrantee end, my passenger side headlight washer springs a leak. (This is another of those items I NEVER...and I mean NEVER...use). My first inclination was to just let it drain..but, wouldn't you know it, those crafty mercedes engineers linked the two fluid resevoires together. So, of course, I couldn't wash my windshield either.

Anyhow, back to the story. Starmark did not cover this repair. When I asked them if they felt that the washer was a safety system, they said no. Interesting how they list it under safety features on the SALES brochure.

I wouldn't buy the extended warrantee. I'd add the 3+K you save to the 20 you'd make selling the car and buy a Lexus.

Regards,
    BigRob.
    flyered:

Hmm, $3K for an aftermarket warranty? I think that when you bought the car, you had one year to buy MB's own 4/50 extension for under $2400.... Seems like a good deal now?

I guess that's why I only buy slightly used MB's; I get the Starmark warranty and buy an additional year or two to make sure I get to 100K with coverage. I'm on my second such deal now. I actually kept my 1996 far beyond the 100K mark (140K); and it cost me...! Head gasket at 120K...!

bigrobnh:

I also currently have the 2001 E320 but without 4-matic. I've had it for 18 months now and it just turned 60K without anything going wrong. It's just had two service trips. Now, since I mentioned it, watch me have to take it in for a dropped window or tranny leak or whatever.. BTW, if you are the ONLY driver, how did you ever realize the headrest motor burned out?
    There are a ton of strong MB E supporters here...but paging through the various posts suggests that even the new E350 has some serious quality issues including the transmission. Why it has taken MB so long to understand that the Japanese and even Americans are eating their lunch on quality, is beyond me. People salivate over any new Lexus, even though it lacks the "soul" of a MB or BMW - why - because it will run forever on routine maintenance. Somewhere in the late 90's, MB achieved a level of arrogance that caused them to ignore how well they were making cars. We are MB, therefore our cars are wonderful, apparently became their mantra. Well, guess what, they were wrong. While they snoozed, the rest of the automotive world caught and often passed them in terms of quality and reliability. Today, we are subjected to endless Edmunds message board posts about the horrors of owning a MB. In the military, when there has been a major screw up, they take a day or more to "stand down" for refresher training and focusing on the important issues. In my humble opinion, MB needs to do this NOW! It is incomprehensible that such an important marque can allow its reputation to be trashed while doing so little (seemingly) to fix these problems. Obviously, they know about them, but somehow, have allowed the E to slide into the 06 model with many of the same, and some new (7 speed trans problems) to creep in. Come on, MB, how "loyal" do you think your clients will be if this keeps up? Your Japanese and American competition will kill you as your reputation continues to erode because of quality problems that should NOT continue to happen.
  • flyeredflyered Member Posts: 2
    I didn't know Starmark 4/50 extension at purchase would have cost $2400, but in that light an extra $600 doesn't sound too bad. I do want to keep the car a few more years b/c just doesn't make sense to me to pay the new car premium more often than you have to. But 3k is no chump change, so I am still torn. In other words, more opiinions welcome. Also, if anyone has had experience with Warranty Direct or 1Warranty, much appreciate the feedback. Last thing I want is to pay up, think I am covered and then have troubles with claims. Thanks in advance.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I think at this point we're in the "pile on" phase. I mean really, reading some of the posts here you'd think that no E or any other Mercedes was capable of holding up the day after it left the dealership. This is mesg board and thus the place for folks to vent their problems. Every brand of car sold here has a thread on the Repair board with posts in them and MB is no different. There are some posts here from the same people that state their problems and that hardly means there is some major problem with the E's tranny or engine.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying for a moment that MB doesn't have a problem with reliability, but its been overblown by many at this point. The way CR has talked about the E-Class no one here will ever think it is reliable no matter how the cars actually hold up in the field.

BMW while having proved more reliable is no Toyota either. Not by a long shot and them running forever is one of these statements that glosses over the fact that keeping a BMW running "forever" is no cheaper than keeping a Mercedes running forever. Well at least for the first 4 year or 50K, which BMW now pays for.

MB's problem isn't due to them thinking they could do whatever, it comes from being spread too thin and having too much else going on (mergers etc.) to keep their eye on what they did best.

Also, IMO reliability and quality are different things, or reliability is a component of quality. Audi's have fabulous "quality" but terrible reliability. The day an American car is built as good as a Mercedes I'd buy one. Sure they're getting good marks in reliablity surveys for using ancient technology not nearly on the level of any European or Japanese luxury car, but to say they're eating Mercedes' lunch on quality is simply false. An American car riding on an ancient platform using a derivative of a 20 year old engine might be less trouble to own, which it should be, but it isn't nearly the car a Mercedes is. This is what the surveys and the people who live by them continually miss and evidently can't even begin to understand.

M
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    microrepair
    I didn't find it, their service department did when doing a Service A or B. I was none the wiser.
    They are quite good at finding problems. They aren't always that good at properly identifying them. Nor are they that good at obtaining parts to fix them.
    As I've said before, most of the time issues I'm experiencing are not critical. My car has never been on a flatbed. However, they are continual, frequent and quite disappointing.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I fully agree with merc1. I currently own a 02 C320 (wife's) and a 05 E320 CDI. So far both have been trouble free. I previously owned a 95 C280 and a 01 E320 that were also pretty much trouble free with only minor problems (fuel pump on C280 at 40K+ miles and an outside temperature display on the E320). I would purchase Mercedes again.
    Maybe...and I do agree that there are always tendencies to "pile on" when something/someone is down; however, the frequency, depth and breadth of the complaints about Mercedes and their dealerships are abnormally high. What seems especially troubling is that complaints have been going on for years, are documented widely by respected sources like CR and JD Powers, yet are continuing to surface on the newest models like the E350 - and not just trivial stuff (transmissions, etc). No doubt there are plenty of people who have not experienced problems, but enough have, consistently, and made noise about them, that Mercedes truly has a major PR issue here that won't go away until both HQ and their dealer network get serious about fixing them.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I am in PR, and I have to smile everytime someone brings up MB's "PR" issue.
    Sadly, in most cases, these "PR" issues are borne from operating or business issues that business executives or managers refuse to acknowledge or correct until a public outcry ensues. MB's is a textbook example of this. MB really doesn't have a "PR" problem as much as a "reality" problem: they have been unresponsive to the growing evidence that their products, processes, systems and infrastructure are not best-in-class. One can debate the how or why, but that doesn't really matter to the consumer. They are the only arbiter that matters.

I have owned 3 Mercedes (and many other lux and non-lux brands) and my problems have been mostly minor, but I know others' are not. What I have experienced though is that the customer service experience -- from sales to service -- is inferior at MB, especially compared with other manufacturers. This has exacerbated the physical quality problem, and is, in my opinion, more problematic over the longer term than the manufacturing quality, because perception is so slow to change, once it has been formed.
    A very thoughtful post on the challenges faced by MB. I still own one of their vehicles and sold my other to buy a BMW 5-Series in 2003. No regrets on the vehicle side and have been more than pleased by my BMW Dealer experience to date.

One of the 4 MB's purchased by my wife and I had a structural problem with the front bumper assembly... it completely separated from the car when pulled onto a flatbed tow truck! Without boring everyone, what MB put us through soured us both on the brand more than the car itself (1999 ML).

MB has tampered with what it's customers have held most dear over decades... engineering excellence and top-drawer quality. Sure, it costs to maintain an older MB, but well worth it IMO. Whenever I've had my Rolex cleaned and maintained over the years, it has cost me a considerable amount. Well worth it for me based on the ownership experience of having a watch I'll wear the rest of my life!

Arrogance and the ownership experience will never mix successfully and MB has been forced to rethink how dealers hold up their end of the bargain. Some get it... some don't. Those that don't send customers to their competition - simple as that. THe branded image becomes tainted and it is difficult to regain. Witness Audi and unintended acceleration. Problem handled arrogantly and the public responded. Although they build a wonderful car line from top to bottom (especially the A8), their sales numbers in this country lag those in comparable European settings.

If I were running MB, I'd have already bent over backwards to get the dealer (sales and service) channels and the manufacturing operation on the same page with a more collaborative business process focused on a quality ownership experience. Can't have both arms of the MB organization on different pages or the customer ultimately suffers.

One interesting thought... Toyota has historically had the highest "quality" car lines but among the worst retail experiences. They still sell lots of cars on quality perceptions (and reality) alone and people still endure cheezy dealer experiences. Tells me that if MB can arrest the quality issues and thoughtfully engage its consumer base, they will pull out in fine shape. The competition is nipping at their heels and, in varying degrees, successfully taken long-time customers away.

We'll se if real leadership surfaces at DCX.
    I also own a BMW and the sales and service experience is so much better than MB.

You know its funny, the NYC MB dealer is the only company-owned site in the US and you'd think it would be a showcase for a quality ownership experience...it is far from that. I have had better experiences at the Ford dealer up the street.

I agree that if they can get the quality right then they can turn things around. It will take time but it can be done. But they will really only have one chance to do it right.
  • ctic1ctic1 Member Posts: 6
    I've owned 3 MBs over the years and there have always been minor issues with the cars: electrical stuff, wind noise, transmission thunks, but I will still continue to support the brand for the following reasons.

1) Service experience has been better than others. I have not experienced Lexus, but Honda, Subaru, Toyota and BMW service has been less than the level of service I experienced at MB.

2) Driving experience. This is the most important factor. MBs are just very solidly built and I have a great experience driving them. I don't care if my car never breaks down but if I don't enjoy driving it I don't want to own it. I've had new Japanese cars and after a couple of years, they just don't feel the same, they feel worn out. The engines just feel used up already. And the metal skin is so thin that a minor hit from someone else's door will cause a big dent in it.

I'm not arguing with anyone about this, it's just my experience and my thoughts. Your mileage may totally vary.
    Hi: Does anyone know where I can get rear seat covers or cargo trays and such at a discount? TIA.
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    I commend you on a very well-written commentary.
    I am just about to purchase a CDI- will probably order as I cannot find available one that has the options that I would like.

I presently own an Audi A6 and am choosing to sell that vehicle prematurely because of numerous and repeated minor electrical annoyance problems. My expectation is that MB will be better, and hope that MB is already on the way to improved QC. I have owned 4 MBs in past, the newest being an '84, and all were virtually trouble free.

Am wondering if anyone has a dealership they recommend particularly as a GOOD place to purchase a new CDI? Willingness to deal on price is a strong consideration as I am not wedded to the dealership in my home town :P .

Keeping my fingers crossed...
    I asked the very same question of the dealer re: ordering a new CDI (320) and the deal is that the rear window blinds that are the roll-up type are factory installed. The only ones you can get if they did not come with the vehicle are ones that clip in place somehow. I got the info from the parts department- they were able to look it up and find a photograph.

If your car doesn't have them already in the rear door panels, then you cannot do the roller-blind shades aftermarket.

The clip in ones are not too terribly expensive.
    I'm with you. I love the MB driving experience, which is why I keep returning to the brand. I prefer my E-class it to everything else I have driven, even my 3 series convertible.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter for an influential U.S. publication is working on a piece about Mercedes and would like to hear from consumers. He’s wondering whether the recent quality problems are enough to stop consumers from buying Mercedes in the future. He also cites that Mercedes says it has worked hard to fix the various problems and is producing the best quality cars ever. He’d especially appreciated hearing from any long-time Mercedes drivers around who agree or disagree. If you have a story to share, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime and evening contact info., city/state of residence and what models of Mercedes you own/have owned, no later than Weds., Sept. 28, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I will say that our current (#2) Atlanta-based MB dealer has worked with us in a positive manner. We switched from the dealer where we had purchased 3 MB's to one of their competitors. Regarding the bumper issue on the 1999 ML, we were forced to find the replacement part ourselves since we were out of town when it happened and the MB Regional Service Rep was arrogant as all get out.

Since it was my wife's car, she all but called it quits on MB, a car line she always admired. The saleswoman we worked with at dealer #1 had since changed dealers and went to bat for us at her new dealer. Arranged for a fully loaded 2002 ML at their cost and she has provided excellent service.

Although I love my 2003 e39, I do still desire another MB one day when things get back to where they should have always been. I can (somewhat) live with a manufacturing defect, but I can't live with the arrogance of sales and service people. Believe the inconsistencies across the dealer channel contribute to many of the issues I read about on this board.
    Totally agree on the driving experience. They know they are not BMW and never cared. Just "built like a bank-vault" solidity and extremely sound touring characteristics. To me, the Rolex of cars... built like they were carved from a block of steel and designed to run forever. Of course, I'm refering to the prior-gen S-Class and W140 E-Class! That, to me, signified the luxury of world-class engineering and quality.

Although my e39 provides an exceptional ownership experience, it is a very different and more "sporting" vehicle. Would love both brands in my garage as follows (current models)...

MB S-Class (new platform)
    my current e39 530SP
    BMW 650
    CLK55 cab (would love the SL, but need room for my wife and the pooch!)
    BMW M3 6-sp (no SMG)
    MB 420CDI (when it is available)
    SLK55 (wife loves it)

and, gotta have the new 997 Carerra C4S :)
  • murph5murph5 Member Posts: 5
    Would you mind letting me know which Mercede's dealership and salesman that you have been working with? I have been looking for a 2004 E320 and the dealership in South Atlanta is horrible. I'd like to buy in my city, but, if they find out that your educated, won't buy their warranty, trade in, or use their financing, and if you also know what mercedes are worth today, they basically told me to go elsewhere, so, I have been working with a dealership out of Ga.
    Well, let me gush some more. I traded in a 7 yr old C-class. At 7 years old, it still felt new, no rattling, very solid on the road, handled very well, no diminishing of power from the engine, even the paint was still very bright. After a wash, it looked new (from about 20 ft away, any closer and you'd see the rock chips and the scratches).
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    I am in NC & have had great service. Presently have 2001 E320 & 2005 SLK350. # 17 & 18 in MB's that I have owned. Both have had only minor problems which have been received exceptional attention from my dealer. Also from the factory rep.So no complaints.

They also have been getting quite a few CDI's. 2005 as well as 2006 models.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I wonder why they have a problem if you are educated and don't use their financing, they don't want your business...

Mercedes has alsways been known as a well made car...theoretically, you paid more because you were buying a car that was barely broken in at 200,000 miles, whereas the avg American car was well worn at 50K and worn out at 100K...

If they are having true quality issues, dealers should be offering top-notch service and putting pressure on Mercedes to improve quality...if it really is a PR problem, meaning that the car is good but false rumors have been circulating, then it is up to Mercedes to use proper PR to set the record straight...

OTOH, if I were BMW and Audi, I would keep my eyes open and recommend to my dealers to give folks super-service beyond the call of duty to win them over...

If Mercedes quality truly has deteriorated, does anybody know why???...
    Can you give me the name(s) of the dealerships that you mentioned in your last post? I think that is ok with the rules of the forum as long as you don't give me names of sales person, right?
    Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.