Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• ray00edmray00edm Member Posts: 12
    so far for my E350 and still running! That is outstanding! I have the following options and would like to say something about them:
    1. Keyless entry. Worth the money. Yes, especially if you are in a hurry a lot.
    2. Xeon headlights: Has more value in cool-looking, then praticle.
    3. Dynamic seat: not worth it.
    4. Navigation: worth it.
    5. Premium audio system: Not sounding as good as the one in Lexus or Acura, but still worth the money.
    6. Sunroof package. Worth the money if you have people in the back a lot.
    7. Tire pressure monitor: Way worth the money! It warned my immediately after a punture.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are correct - dealership name is good, salesperson's name is bad. :)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I just came back from a wedding where seemingly everyone over 55 claimed they didn't drive at night. Wouldn't Xenons make 60 year old eyes 20/20 again? Aren't they a Good Thing?

What the heck is a dynamic seat ?
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    I have Xenons on my Audi and they DEFINITELY make night driving easier. 'Course, I'm not 55 yet, so dunno about 20/20 vision- maybe something to look forward to??
    They are indeed a Good Thing!

Appreciate the input on options. How do the tire pressure monitors actually work? Do you see the number of pounds pressure, or does it just flash a warning when the pressure drops below a certain range?

[There is actually a used CDI I'm looking at that has this option, and it has me intrigued. ]
  • tboy1tboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Buffalo where the winters are mean and unmerciful. I need a solid car for long distance driving over the Adirondacks and into the wilds of Quebec. Looking to drive it for 300,000 + miles over the course of many years .... Any comments on the 320 cdi for this type of of objective?
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I dont have Xenon lights on my E, and miss them, having had them on 2 previous vehciles. Am not quite 50, and no, Xenon's aren't corrective lenses, but I do find that the brighter light does make driving at night easier. Have also noticed that the forward "throw" on the stock lights is not what I was accustomed to on my earlier MB's. I have heard a number of comments from other owners about this.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Are you sure you don't want a Tahoe? Can you even get a 320cdi in AWD? Before you are convinced you want a diesel in upstate NY and Quebec, what about fuel gelling, hard starting and other cold weather problems? (Tupper Lake is commonly 20 below in the AM). Is there a dealer between Albany and Montreal? Between Albany and Syracuse? A diesel would be great to run down the throughway from Buffalo to Boston but might not be as good for stop/start type driving.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Dealer is MB of Winston-Salem (NC) 336-760-4580. Bought 2001 E320 Sport about 18 mos. ago w/Starmark(now Certified). Great car. Great service.
    Prices seem to be competitive. When I bought mine I was looking for a particular car and they had Exactly what I was looking for so price was not the #1 issue.
    Have had 2 cars---1 MB--w/ Xenons. Great brightness but poor distance. Bought last 2 MB's w/standard lights and had dealer install Sylvania Bright Star bulbs.They put out a strong WHITE light (not as much as xenons) but much better than OEM lights. Also adjusted lights up slightly higher so distance coverage is better that xenon.

Approx $40 per pair. Dealer installed n/c. Buy them @ your local parts store.
    Hello Habitat1
    Did you ever find someone to cut you a better deal than ED$ on your E320CDI? Sounded like you were able to get hold of ED invoice info for BMW? Can you help me research this? I am presently trying to decide between ED and USA delivery, and so far seem to find the best deals on the East Coast, but I live WEst Coast. Appreciate anything you learned in your research (assuming you did in fact purchase a CDI in the end?)

Thanks!
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I read a small article in the paper last week that the exec. who had been running the Chrysler Division just got promoted to CEO of Daimler-Chrysler. The article stated his goal was to halt the quality slide at MB. The article sounded hopeful that he will improve the overall company based on his performance in making the Chrysler Group successful. He also has since announced he will make significant layoffs in their German plants.

Maybe there is hope....
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    He's a star. He needs to change the culture at MB and now that Jurgen Schremp has been pushed aside, Dieter may get the freedom to do just that.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    This might wake someone up. I have a 2000 E320 and will probably be getting an M45 as a replacement. I still like the Es and have enjoyed mine but have to say that Infiniti is offering a fantastic product, equal to or better than the E in many respects, for quite a bit less money. May not have the cache of Mercedes now but the M is a fantastic car.
  • ssamahassamaha Member Posts: 17
    a Datsun is no Mercedes! sorry.

;)
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    What we really need is a Datsun vs. Chrysler test; that will prove which is the better car. .
    good one! LOL

But to be fair, MB has shifted a lot of parts by way of Chrysler, thus their VAST improvements.. the same hasn't happened in reverse(yet!), thank God!

The high end Japanese cars all share A LOT of parts with their lower end parent companies. And in most parts of the world the Infiniti, Lexus etc.. marks don't even exist, they're simply sold under their normal names.. it's just all American targeted marketing...
    To answer you... IMHO the CDI is easily good for 300,000 miles if the rest of the cars holds up as well as the engine... Diesels are always going to be much more durable than gas engines for the following reasons:

-Diesels are usually Iron block
    -Diesels are built to higher strength standards do to their 18:1 or more compression
    -Diesels rarely rev more than 4500RPM... significantly less than a gasser
    -Diesels are high torque engines and as such rarely need to rev even more than 2000rpm in normal driving

all this leads to a long lasting engine.. combine this is lower maintenance required... no spark plugs, tune ups etc...

The bad news in the 2007 CDI will not be a Iron block, nor an I-6 (which is much better than a V6)... the good news is it will have AWD available.. due to the added room of the V6.

Don't worry about cold temps with these new diesels, they for the most part start right up... a subfreezing, you'll need max 30seconds on the glow plugs.
    I was fascinated by the ads for the M45 and last month drove my 2001 E320 to the nearest Inifiniti dealer and test drove the M35 (I don't need or want the big V8). In many areas, it is a better car; it has more doo-dads than you can count. And the drive train, even with the (weakling) 270 HP V6 is way more than adequate for everyday driving. But, the bottom line is that the ride quality (not the heandling) is not even close to being in the same class as the E. It was a very harsh, jouncy ride for a "luxury" car, even more so than the 2005 530 I drove a few weeks later. It handled great; like a sports car, but I personally could not use it as my every-day car; I'd get sick real quick of that harsh ride. Particularly here in the Northeast with our frost heaved roads..

Now, I had the same complaint earlier this year when I test drove a Chrysler 300C, but when I went to different dealer and drove another one, the second drove a lot smoother. I suspect that some dealer mechanics are putting way too much pressure in the tires. One of these days I'll test drive another M35 at another dealer and hopefully find that the mechanics overfilled the first one I drove.

I know of an independent mechanic in my town who swears that the tire pressure should be what is listed on sidewall as maximum pressure.! What an IDIOT !! I had him change over my tires last year and I noticed the harsh ride in my E within the first 100 yds.. When I got home I checked the pressure and he had put well over 40 psi into the tires! As soon as I reduced them to the more normal 27-28 psi, that great ride returned! :D
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    One of these days I'll test drive another M35 at another dealer and hopefully find that the mechanics overfilled the first one I drove.

If you look at the M35/45 forum, you'll see quite a few messages from folks who took a test drive (or actually took delivery of their new car) and were concerned about the ride, until they checked the tire pressure and discovered that Infiniti ships the cars with the tires way overfilled. Unless the dealer bleeds out some air, you'll get a harsh ride. Hopefully that is what caused your disappointing experience. I would be interested to hear what happens if you try another test drive. Or perhaps you could just call back the salesperson that arranged the previous test drive and ask him/her to check the air pressure in the demonstrator you drove and let you know if the tires were in fact over-inflated. If they weren't, then I could see a lot of current E owners staying away from the M. But I haven't heard people complain about the ride of the M - the only thing people mention is some higher than expected engine noise from the M35 (not so much with the M45), since the engine apparently revs pretty high. Did you notice that at all?
    Thanks for reminding me about the shipping pressure in the tires. I had read a note about that last year when I drove the 300C. I will make it a point to test drive the M35 again at a different dealer and AFTER I asks the sales man about the tire pressure..
    Re: engine noise. I didn't notice that it was particularly noisy, although I had the salesman with me so I drove very sedately :( with no high revving..!
  • bruhoganbruhogan Member Posts: 4
    I have a '02 E320 that just went over 50,000 miles. To date my service has been free. I also have a Starmark warranty till 100,000 miles.

Is it advisable to stay with MB service while I'm under the warranty, or could I use an independent shop for service (and save some $) and only return to the MB dealer if I needed warranty work?

Your thoughts? Thanks.
  • ray00edmray00edm Member Posts: 12
    Sorry I am replying late.

The tire-pressure monitor will show the psi readings of individual tires. My dealer ship first inflat all my tires at 39psi. The reset requesting messages the tire pressure monitor keeps giving finally caught their attention. Had I not had the tire pressure monitor, I would have been dead due to the unexpected tire failure! However, I think I got to 29mpg quite often during that time. So, I don't know, save on gas or being dead. Tough choice.

A month later, my tire actually got punched through and the tire pressure warning is on. Initially it went from 29 to 21. I thought I can make it hom. However, it quickly got to only 4 psi so I know I must stop immediately.

I don't know why they don't advertise this feature. Maybe it is not an expensive option so they have no intention to sell it.
  • metalbashermetalbasher Member Posts: 1
    Where to begin! I will not be renewing my 2002 Mercedes E-Class in December, it is the forth Mercedes we have owned. Two of the previous cars were fine examples, but the last two have not been. The current car has had four recalls, been twice on a pick-up truck (electrical issues) and had high pressure fuel pump, hose, radio and gearbox problems. As if all this were not enough it rattles in the dash & from the panoramic sunroof, and has a knocking from the rear that the dealers have never located, not bad for a car costing $66,000 . As for the dealers they have been the good the bad & the ugly. The ugly were Mercedes UK owned units.
    Needless to say I have a BMW 530D SE on order, it cannot come soon enough.
  • baj1106baj1106 Member Posts: 8
    among other things, I've been really unhappy with this 'engine braking' system which feels like the brakes are being applied every time I ease off the gas pedal. Its bad all the time and especially drivng up an incline. MB tells me the car computer systerm is sensing and conforming to the driver's habits. uh, ok. We're talking about very easy driving habits, not even stop-n-go rush hour, just normal driving. Ive had the car about 16 months and have 12,000 miles on it. Also, just had the car in for the first service as notified by the dashboard computer, and my rear brakes rotors and pads had to be redone! at first they were going to charge me about $800, but I went ballistic so MB covered the cost...even they admitted the brakes should not wear out after 12,000 miles. I bought this car, my first MB, thinking 'ok, I'll step up to buy something that will be reliable and that I can keep for many years considering the low mileage we use' Any one out there shed some light on this problem? had a cousin just lease an '06 E350 and when she told the dealer about my problems with the '04 E320, they said something like 'oh, those were problems with that car but they've been worked out now' I havent driven the E350, but she said it drives like a dream and none of this krap-o-la that Im dealing with. thoughts appreciated
    Thanks for your reply re: the tire pressure monitor.

Actually, it is no longer an offered option on the MBZ, so you are lucky you have it!

I was looking seriously at an '05 that had that feature.

Instead I ended up ordering a new car- the price on the used one was nearly that of the new one, and I couldn't see the point- might as get exactly what I want- although the tire pressure monitor no longer available...

Glad you are still alive and here to tell your story! :D
  • coccacocca Member Posts: 7
    How is $33,500 for a 2002 E430 4-matic w/33k miles, navigation, xenon lights, cd, integrated phone, heated leather seats, etc?

It's from a dealer. It's Cert Pre-Owned and he's throwing another year of warranty on top of the 1yr/100kmile CPO warranty that you get automatically.

Any thoughts?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Anyone know what year Mercedes switched from the CD-rom-based nav system to the GPS system in the E-class? My mom is looking for a used E320 (probably '01-02) and wants it to have a nav system (good luck, I know), but I told her not to bother with one if it's the CD-rom version, I heard they're terrible.
    2001-2 will have the old system.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I brought my 2000 E320 (119k miles) in to Mercedes for service A. When I had driven 6 miles from the dealership, I get a warning Oil Level, Reduce Oil Level (in red letters no less). I call the service guy and he says it's no big deal, probably just a little high, can't cause any problems, but if I bring it by they can lower the level. I didn't want to spend the 2 plus hours I'm sure that would have taken, so I haven't gone back. Now I'm not getting that msg but of course am getting the ever present Check Engine message. Should I be worried and gut out the hours it will take them to correct this?
    If it was my car, I'd have it back there in a heartbeat. No reason it should take 2 hours, especially if they already had the car in- should be 10 minutes max. Besides, why risk screwing up your engine? Obviously the car thinks something is wrong. They should be test driving/running the car after the oil change anyway- and rechecking oil level afterward, esp if they have changed the filter.

Was the Check Engine light on prior?

Just Do It.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that it "should" take 10 minutes, but that's not been my experience with Mercedes service. That's one reason I'll probably get an Infiniti M45 next year. I have not been that happy with Mercedes service and I increasingly don't understand the premium they charge for cars that are not any better than (or as good as?) others that cost much less. I do have to say though that I'm happy that I've got 119k miles and have not had any major mechanical problems, although the maintenance I have had has sure been expensive.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    "I increasingly don't understand the premium they charge for cars that are not any better than (or as good as?) others that cost much less."

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Anybody that builds a "widget" for a living has to take into account Warranty Cost. That is, the cost that you carry to fix the widget in the field. So on top of a company like Mercedes having extremely high manufacturing costs, they have to build in the Warranty cost in as well.

Add up your stack of receipts that cost you nothing (but time and inconvenience) during the factory warranty period and you'll see EXACTLY why these are more expensive than their competition.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • c280manc280man Member Posts: 7
    The horror stories I read on this board and others regarding reliability issues for late model E Class cars have convinced me not to buy a new E 350, but I still covet this beautiful car and am wondering whether a 2003 or 2004 E 320 with 30,000 to 40,000 miles would tend to have had all the recalls already performed and mechanical problems already fixed so that the car would now be fairly reliable. I know I should probably just give up on the E Class until reliability improves, but I thought I would try one last time. Any thoughts from owners that endured hell with their E 320s and now think that the problems are finally behind them and it's nothing but blue skies ahead? What mechanical problems should I ensure have been taken care of if I decide to look for a 2003 or 2004 E 320? Thanks.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    The '04's Had the most standard equipment, & most of the problems were corrected from the terrible '03's. They also had "Free Routine Maintenance". I love mine except for the occaisionally quirky Comand, which always "fixes" itself.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I have heard that the nav in the E only works if you have a CD inserted as opposed to most other models (e.g. Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc). Is this true? If so, does this mean that you cannot have other CDs (e.g. music) playing at the same time?
  • jmjinnjjmjinnj Member Posts: 15
    Does new E series has MP3 input in glove box? I hope you can hook up IPOD thru that. At least you can listen to your collection /playlists etc.
    I have heard that there is a jack in the glove box that you can connect iPod or MP3 using a simple jack that I have been told can be purchased at radio shack or equivalent for under $20. I;ll know for sure when I get my 320cdi in a month or so.
    The answer is yes. My 04 wagon has the input. Its in the glove box.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    The Nav unit is DVD, and is mounted in the trunk on the left side. The DVD must be in THAT unit all the time. The Comand single slot CD and the CD changer can be loaded or empty, since the map info is coming from the trunk mounted deck.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I know the computer will adjust to the 87 octane to avoid knocking but will there be any performance decline in a '04 E320?
  • carfan88carfan88 Member Posts: 2
    After many Lexus/Toyota Acura/Honda purchases I too urned to own something "different" and often drooled over
    the E-class line. Last year I purchased my first MB 05 E-500 and to date have acumulated 16,000 complete trouble fee
    miles. We also own an 05 LS430 and I love the difference
    between these two automobiles. I have no regrets on my
    MB purchase and would recommend this car highly to anyone
    thinking of doing the same.
    Do you use your iPod with the glove box jack/input? If so, were you able to connect to it using a jumper already supplied with the iPod, or did you have to purchase an additional jumper? If you purchased it, was it necessary to get it from Apple, or would any connector do the trick?
    Thanks!
    I have used a cable purchased from radio shack to hook up into the glovebox input. Its a standard male/male audio cable. Mostly now, I use a Belkin FM transmitter because I find keeping the pod in the glovebox inconvenient.
    What- does the Belking FM transmitter allow you to have your iPod out where you can see it- wirelessly? Is that an expensive doo-dad? Does it need to mount somewhere, or is it pretty tiny? Do you have a picture of it, or a model number or something so that I could look that up? Sounds somewhat intriguing!
    Thanks...
    Blissful:

Go to applestore.com and check out the options under the car audio tab. there are tons of ways to hook up the ipod to the stereo, and a number of mounts as well. Happy shopping.
    I need to replace tires on E320. The original Michelin lasted only 27000 miles. Is that normal? What is recommended replacement tires just for normal so CA driving>
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    I installed Continental Conti Etreme Contacts on my E-430 after 18K miles with original equipment Goodyear F-1 Eagles (don't get them, they,re like ice skates on icy roads) and after 15K miles the Conti's don't appear to be worn. I believe they're available at Tire Rack for $95 each for the E-320.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Goodyear F-1 Eagles are dedicated summer/warm weather sports tires. The compound does not do well with cold temperature and will become much harder and will reduce the traction even on dry surface. If one needs to drive on wintry weather, the best thing to do is to get a set of winter tires, or at the very least a set of performance all-seasons.
    I posted this #6340: "I need to replace tires on '01 E320. The original Michelin lasted only 27000 miles. Is that normal? What is recommended replacement tires just for normal so CA driving"

I might not have been clear. I live in San Diego - its southern CA. I don't drive on icy roads. Is there something better than replacing the original Michelins? I'd like good mileage, good handling and minimum road noise. Discount Tire Co. quoted me $720 to replace and install 4 tires w/ original Michelins.
  • vwtomvwtom Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at an E320 cdi, but my concern is how the rear-wheel drive car handles in snow and ice. I would appreciate any feedback from experiences you may have had.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.