Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Spider,
    Yes, I know what you mean: little info about Designo anywhere except the brochures. Dealers here have not seen one. I was intrigued by the paint colors in the brochures- looks different, and I rather liked the color, but again, choked on the $6 grand. I don't think there is any way you would get that money back in resale. Maybe in Beverly Hills or Costa Mesa or some other Rock Star Haven... It is pretty, though, isn't it?
    Joy
    ESF:
    Absolutely try the E320 CDI!! Better mileage, still quiet, nice ride and a LOT MORE TORQUE!! Really fun to drive. These diesels don't puff black smoke, don't smell, and are smooth to drive with amazing "get up and go". I think it is the best of both worlds...

I used to drive an Audi A6. Nice car, but the E320 is better. I do not see any advantage to the E350 over the CDI unless you are afraid of diesel. This is a woman's perspective, however... :)
    Joy
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    There hasn't been a post for 12 days on this topic. Is the E no longer loved? My dealer says my E just left the factory and now they need to find a "vessel". I guess the Queen Mary was not available ;) He didn't give me an ETA. I hope 3 weeks isn't too agressive.
  • golfer71golfer71 Member Posts: 30
    I am looking at buying a used e500 4matic with navigation. My question is does the navigation have the regional DVD or the entire USA DVD? I have heard that Mercedes Nav use to do only regional but now they have the entire USA. What year did this practice start? Plus, if you get the new DVD does that mean the older Nav will work with the entire USA or not?

Plus, is $41k a good price for a this car with 43k miles?

Thanks in advance.
    Has anyone had the MHI kit added by the dealer? I have many questions and hope to know more before I get taken when I ask the dealer.

What should I expect to pay for the MHI kit not including the cradle/phone?

Has anyone used the new MB Bluetooth cradle/adaptor?

For E-Class 2006, does MHI include voice dialing? Does this voice command also control some none phone features?

Is the voice quality outstanding? I don't want my callers to have trouble understanding me. And I need very clear sound since I have trouble hearing to begin with.

On the MB website, it shows dealer add on at $995, but factory price of $1500. Seems like it should be the other way around. I think both prices were w/o phone.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I mentioned this in another site. Maybe this is a better place.......

If I purchase one that has more than 50K, am I going to have all kinds of electrical and electronic glitch problems, or by 50K, they should have ironed out all the issues under warranty? Is the brake by wire troublesome?

I am also considering a 02-03 Lexus GS300. I know Lexus is reliable, but is not as good looking as the 03 E320. We had a RX300 that gave us no problem. I also have a 96 Camry XLE V-6. In 10 years, I have been to Toyota dealer once for replacing the timing belt. I like the look of the 03 E320. It has the most attractive look and lines of any sedan out there. I just don't want to spend repair$.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • merck350merck350 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone compared the Audi A6 3.2 and E 350 2006 models? I am planning to buy one of these cars, so would like to hear about the experiences.

Thanks,
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    why does MB has such poor reliabilty? I read so many bad reviews of MB regardless of any models. Has MB cram too much electronics into the car that they aren't able to test those gadgets properly? Has MB top engineers retired a decade ago causing a huge brain drain in MB R&D dept?
  • billodbillod Member Posts: 31
    Before I chose my 2005 E320 4-Matic, I looked at the A6 and M35x. The MMI on the A6 is (IMHO) a real PITA. The M35x was a nice car but it was way too loud. The engine noise was too loud for my taste. I have not regretted the E320 at all. It hugs the road, is quiet and gets decent mileage, 18-21 around town, and 25-27 hwy. Not bad at all. I also use mid-grade gas most of the time. Once a month it gets a drink of the high test. Get the MB you won't be unhappy. Good luck.
    Joe,
    I could be wrong, but I think there was a factory recall on the electronic braking problem in this car. Check with the dealer locally and ask them.
    J
    I sold my 2000 A6 and purchased an 06 320 CDI. Best decision ever! There are a few things in the A6 that I miss: slightly better rear leg room (but smaller rear cargo area tradeoff); Hmmm... can't really think of anything else!! Quattro was good, not avail in the cdi though.

Fuel economy in the diesel is superb, way better than any of the others you mentioned, quiet still (new diesels really aren't smelly and noisy like those of yesteryear) and it has a TON more pickup (torque) than the Audi. The ride is much more smooth, yet still feels like you are driving the car.

I originally started looking at the E350 and E500 wagons. The CDI won my heart and I have been happy. Best car ever!
  • tiltuptiltup Member Posts: 2
    I had to sign up for this just to let anyone know what a piece of junk my A6 is. I have a 2001 A6 4.2 and it is the worst car I have ever owned. The transmission dropped yesterday and after 42 days in the shop over 18 months I bought an E500 today. I don't know what is ahead for me with the E500 but it can't be any worse than the A6. I had a 2006 A6 4.2 with the S package at the dealership was going to get until the transmission went. I will never touch another Audi again.

Good luck!
  • cse430cse430 Member Posts: 2
    I am in negotiation on a 2000 E430 4 matic sedan - 80k miles - one owner - I am seeking owner opinion on reliability - gas mileage -they are asking 12,900 want to move the car quickly - I am leaving a volvo s70, 99 basically problem free - until now 140k miles.
    I do mostly highway driving -
    thanks
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    cse430, I might be a little late in coming to this forum but I have a 2000 E430, RWD, with 32,000 miles. I've had the car since new and it has been wonderful. Common to Mercedes is that you will probably have to replace the rear window regulators. I did have to have my sunvisors replaced under warranty because the lids on the vanity mirrors broke off (twice) and I don't even use them much. Other than that, it has been smooth sailing. Keep in mind that the tires on the E430's last only about 20,000 miles. Since I don't drive mine very much, it's not an issue.

I think the E-class cars that are model year 2002 and earlier will be cheaper to run and more reliable. But, that's just my opinion.

Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I have a 2000 E 320, 126k miles. Recently had a low oil light and added 2 quarts of synthetic oil. In doing so, the FSS (service B) indicator went from about 4,800 to 6,200. Is that normal? Should I follow that? thanks.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    That seems like a decent price to me if it's in good shape. I have a 2000 E 320 with 126k miles. The reliability has been decent at least. It is expensive to service and I have had some things I had to pay for such as window regulators, replacing headlight assembly (not cheap), and part of the display (temp and time) went out long ago but I have not spent the $800 to fix. But for the last 30-40k miles basically no problems whatsoever, and I love only having to replace the oil every 13k miles. I noticed in a recent pub that the new Es have the worst reliability rating given so assume quality has gone down (I think that's well chronicled). good luck
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Yes it is normal for FSS to reset higher after an oil change.

Just had a rear regulator replaced on 2001 E320---under Starmark warranty. Dealer said that windows should be lowered often to reduce this problem. This is my first one in almost 5 years.
  • deirdreivesdeirdreives Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I wonder if anyone can give me some guidance on my problem

May 2005: The Odometer Clock suddenly turned back to 0000 (on my Mercedes Benz E200 Classic 1996) – Mercedes dealerships were contacted who had not heard of this problem and said it was not in their power to revert it back to its proper mileage.

July 2005: The doors start locking by themselves and will not open with automatic door opener.

In the mornings when I would try and start my car the battery would be totally dead.

I brought it to my local trusted garage owner (who has a very large business and is a good friend). He checks the car out and says that he cannot find a problem but, from the car repeatedly locking itself the motor that controls the doors has burnt out and has to be replaced. As he could not find out what was causing the problem himself he brought my car to two Mercedes Dealerships.

The first Mercedes Dealership had my car for two weeks and did every test, but could find nothing wrong. The second Mercedes dealership had my car for several days and they neither could find any problem. My car was returned to me after a month and a series of large bills that needed to be paid.

The problem seemed to have subsided on the cars return – however, a month later it was back with a vengeance.

This time I took my car to a dealership whom I originally had bought the vehicle from. They too could not find anything wrong and decided to take out the alarm system, as they thought this being connected to the automatic doors might be the problem. With no alarm and three weeks later (and another huge bill for services), my car was returned.

Alas, after three weeks the problem has returned again. My Car is locking itself whilst I’m driving, stationary - ALL THE TIME.

EVERYONE IS BAFFLED. No-one knows what the problem is.

I take really good care of my car – it is kept in my garage and not used for long distance travel and huge mileage as I am a mother of three small children and do not travel thousands of miles per week.

My real and very logical concern (which I have nightmares about) is that the car will lock whilst my two youngest babies are inside and I’ve left the keys in the ignition while picking something up or unloading the babies’ strollers. The car has locked several times like this already but thankfully on those occasions there was always an older person in the car who knew how to open the door from the inside.

I went out to my car this morning and the doors were locked and wouldn't open with the automatic opener - I opened them manually, strapped the kids in and tried to start the car - it was as dead as a dodo HELP!

Anyone know whats going on ?

Thanks

Deirdre
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    Just a long shot. My MB had a problem with the trunk lock and would allow the battery to drain down. It appears as if a solenoid? or something will remain in contact and cause the battery to drain and perhaps lock the doors. Good luck with any fix.
  • berndbberndb Member Posts: 2
    Hi- I have a 1994 E 320 with 170K miles that needs a head gasket. I can't seem to find some basic information I need to do the job. Can anybody help?
    Q1 Headbolts, do they need to be replaced? What are the torq specs?
    Q2 Cam timing, I marked the cams @ tdc #1 cyl, and there is a small hole on each cam that intersects the casting. I see that the variable cam timing device is normally retarded at idle. Any other things I should know?
    Q3 The 104 engine seems to suffer from this problem, any thoughts on using a sealer on the gasket?
    Any advice is appreciated, Thanx!
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I think that trying to repair your E will take more money out of your pocket than it's worth.

If you are interested, try getting a used car, preferably a Lexus, where you won't have any [significant] reliability problems.

I am actually in the market for a new E350 4Matic (and a Range Rover Sport), but my wife currently has a Lexus RX330, which has been angelic in the dealer experience.

I love the E350, but it sounds like you're not in the market for a new car right now.

:(
    I live in Chicago too, and I tested the E350 4Matic (and the Range Rover Sport, and the Cayenne S) three days ago.

I think it is totally worth the money- the one we tested was $56K, with the NAV, harmon/kardon LOGIC7 12 speaker audio system, and xenon headlights.

However, I'm sure that was a dealer special. I built an E350 4Matic online, and with those options, it topped $60K. It's very annoying how Mercedes overprices their cars.

Finally, I hate the rims that the one I tested had. They were those chubby 16 or 17" five spokes that every E-Class in town has. I'd buy AMG wheels if they didn't cost $4,000.
    Deirdre,
    I had a similar problem with my 2000 Audi A6. In this case, the problem was easily remedied by the dealer. Apparently they just replaced the electric door lock mechanism. I had a number of other wierd electrical problems with that car, including replacing the Nav unit 3 times (fortunately, all under warranty.) Anyway, I don't know if it is any help, but in my case it was an intermittent problem also. It just happened that the dealer knew what to do. It sounds as if the battery is draining because the doorlocking circuit is shorting somewhere. Have you noticed the symptoms occuring more often after driving in the rain, or when humidity is high, or anything like that? Sure sounds like a colossal nuisance!
    Just occured to me that if it were my problem, I might also check with a shop that specializes in auto electronics- they might just be more adept at tracking down wierd things.
    Joy
  • berndbberndb Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your advice, but I think you misunderstood me. I'm looking for technical information. Not car replacement advice. Our E-320 has 170,000 miles on it, never missed a beat, still looks and rides like new. The one and only repair outside of normal maintenance, oil changes, tires, brake pads Etc. Was a MAF at approx. 140,000 miles. Now it needs a head gasket, and a head gasket only. It uses no oil, the Cylinder bores checked out perfectly round and on the high side of new. Valves guides and springs are also on spec. I do change the oil and filter religiously every 6 mths. or 5000 miles with Mobil 1 10-30wt. Why would I want to replace it? and of all things with a disLexes? You are correct in assuming that I am not a member of the "Car of the Month Club" I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit, Thank you very much...
    I picked up the E350 two weeks ago and am very pleased. All my complaints about the M are gone. I thought I would loose on the NAV, but I like the E's better. You don't have to press Ok everytime you start the car. Guidance is presented in the speedo's center. You can type directions using the joy stick or text entry like on a cell phone. I also find it gives better directions. The keyless Go system beats both Lexus and Infinity. You just walk up and pull the handle. No buttons to push. No initial touching. Plus it works on all 4 doors. The xenon lights are great. The brakes are great. The automatic wipers are great. I love the electric open/close trunk. The car is very smooth and quiet. The interior is beautiful. And I'm getting 350+ miles on a tank. 21+ mpg. That's a lot better than the M's 16 mpg.
  • pete51pete51 Member Posts: 20
    I am looking to replace a 97 e320. It has over 175,000 miles and overall I have been please with the car. I have been looking at off lease vehicle. I am trying to decide between a 2001-02 S430 or 2003-2004 E320-500. Any opinions about the pros and cons of the vehicles. I am looking to purchase. Als as with the last one, I intend on keeping it for at least 160-175k. Both seem to be in the same general price range. Please share any experiences or helpful information.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    From another MB board, some excerpts from a letter sent to dealers about the 2007 E-Class:

Interior
    MY07 FACELIFT (mid-July 2006)
    Model Year 2007 welcomes a facelift for the E-Class, and introduction of 3 new engines:
    -E320 BLUETEC: 3.0L V6 with 221hp, 376 lb-ft. torque
    -E550: 5.5L V8 with 382hp, 391 lb-ft. torque
    -E63 AMG: 6.3L V8 with 507hp, 465 lb-ft. torque
    Other key exterior product changes include:
    -a more aggressively styled front air dam
    -new front grille
    -revised head lamps and tail lamps
    -aero mirrors (similar to CLS)
    -new side skirts
    -2 new paints: Arctic White and Jade Green
    Key interior product changes include:
    -PRE-SAFE
    -new steering wheel (CLS steering wheel)
    -re-designed HVAC operating unit
    -new shift/selector lever
    -4 new upholstery colors: Black, Cashmere, Black/Sahara Beige (Sport Models only), Black/Cognac Brown (Sport Models only)
    Photos of the Facelift will be forthcoming.
    Equipment Modifications
    Value Enhancement
    The following options will become standard equipment at no-additional charge:
    -Glass Sunroof (414)
    -harman/kardon LOGIC7 Digital Surround Sound System (810)
    -6-disc CD Changer (819)
    New Packaging
    Owing to the new standard equipment listed above, we have further streamlined our packaging. Based on the successful E-Class Premium Package, launched with MY06, two "premium packages" will be offered - P1 and P2 - each of which offers significant value and includes options with proven customer demand.
    P1 - E350/E320 BLUETEC: $2390 / E550: $2840 / E63 AMG: $2000
    -DVD Navigation
    -SIRIUS Satellite Radio
    -Hands-Free Communication System
    -Heated Front Seats (Active Ventilated Seats with Heating Feature for E550 and E63 AMG)
    -Power-Rear Window Sunshade (Rear Side-window sunblinds for E350 4MATIC Wagon)
    P2 - E350/E320 BLUETEC: $4290 / E550: $4740 / E63 AMG: $3900
    Includes all items in P1
    -Bi-Xenon low-beam and high-beam headlamps with active curve illumination system
    -Keyless Go
    -Heated Headlamp Washers
    Sport/Luxury Strategy
    In addition to the enhancements planned for the upcoming MY07 Facelift, we would like to announce the start of a new E-Class Sport/Luxury product strategy, similar to the successful C-Class strategy. This strategy allows you the flexibility to tailor you inventory to meet growing customer demand for more aggressive and sportier styling. The E350W, E350W4, E550W and E550W4 will adopt a 2-prong approach (Sport and Luxury) while the E320 BLUETEC and E350S4 will remain exclusively Luxury.
    The E-Class Sport Sedan will be based on the 333 Sport Package launched late last year. This package, which is no-charge for MY07 Facelift, features key "sport" elements including 18" 10-twin spoke wheels, sport rear bumper with dual exhaust tailpipes, lowered sport suspension, blue-tinted glass, Black-Birdseye Maple Wood, and matte chrome surrounding the gearshift with a white-gauged instrument cluster.
    The E-Class Luxury sedan will be similar to the current, stylish model commonly seen today. Key "luxury" features include 17" wheels (for the E350 and E550 models only), an elegant rear bumper, comfort suspension, green-tinted glass, and Burl Walnut Wood complementing the well-dressed interior.
    Exterior
    The following colors are new:
    -Arctic White (650) replaces Alabaster White (960)
    -Jade Green (300) replaces Everest Green (816)
    Wheels: For MY07, the E350 models will receive a new 7-spoke 17" design. Additionally, the E63 AMG models will receive a new 5-spoke 18" design. Please note: the E320 BLUETEC, E550 Models, and the Sport Package will retain their current wheels.
    Also new for MY07 E-Class are Chrome wheels (R86). These wheels will be based on the same 5-spoke 17" design seen on the MY06 E500, and will be available as an option on select Luxury Models only. Please see the Product Highlights section for wheel updates.
    Other
    E-Class Station Wagon:
    In our continuing efforts to streamline our portfolio and provide you with products which support your market requirements, we will offer just a single variant of the E-Class Station Wagon: E350S4. The E350S and E550S4 will no longer be offered for MY07.
    Additionally, the Power Tailgate (890) becomes standard equipment.

© Mercedes-Benz, 2005

M
    That P2 option for $4200 would have cost over $12,000 on the 2006. The options on my 2006 E350 came to about $10,000. I got everything in the new P2 except for hands free. So I see the 2007 virtually the same car as 2006, with a big price reduction.

I also think the marketing split between luxury and sport is a good stategy. The emphasis on luxury really appeals to me as buyer and I know others will gravitate to the sport side.

I bet the hands-free will be that new bluetooth option rumored to be out this month and available for late model command modules.
    All my complaints about the M are gone.

Are you talking about the Infiniti M35?

I think that many options in your article are fad-ish nonsense. Keyless go, electric trunk, etc. You don't need keyless go for any large reason, and the electric trunk is only meaningful on an SUV. I think I'm fine walking up to a sedan and opening the trunk myself, thank you very much!

I thought the features were very nice in the E350 4Matic I tested, but there was something about the interior that seemed a bit... off. I'm used to Audi interiors with perfect ergonomics and materials, and it seemed as though the Benz had lesser materials. Maybe I'm being overcritical, but I thought the Range Rover Sport, which we also tested, had a nicer interior. That really depends on your taste. However, I love the new S-Class- but it's much too big and expensive for my family. (It looks gorgeous in black!)

;)
    ...with a big price reduction.

Really??? I'd love to see that! Then maybe an E350 4Matic with our options would be less than $60,000!
    Yes, the M35x is what I dumped. You are right, I don't need keyless go or the electric trunk, but they are features which I do enjoy and use everyday. It is a convenience to never take your keys out of your pocket.

I live in Chicago and here, our cars are often dirty or covered in salt. It is nice to fully open and close the trunk without touching the metal.

I never used stuff like lane departure warning, electric rear seats, DVD players and rear seat radio controls in my M35x.

I am very familiar with interiors from Audi, Infinit and Lexus. Like the outside, this is subjective. I very much dislike the Audi. To me it looked cheap. I do like Range Rover, but it's too big.

And one place we fully agree on - That new S-Class is gorgeous in and out. But it's too big for me. I'm hoping a lot of it filters down to next rebuild of E-Class due in the fall of 2008. Seems like everything looks best in black, but black is too high maintenance for me.
    Yeah I think Mercedes is finally starting to get a clue about how to package options while at the same time offering more standard equipment. ESF will love this statement...lol.

The E-Class will never be a bargain, no Mercedes is but this revision in equipment will likely be a big hit once the 07's hit the ground.

M
  • vl39vl39 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2006 CDI on order with all options. Using the pricing info for 2007, my car would have been $300 cheaper. This is still a good deal because of all the new innovations built into the standard equipment.

Bluetooth is currently available and will therefore be on the new vehicle. I have ordered the hardwire version to take advantage of the car's antenna. With bluetooth you can only use the phone's antenna. If you would like more info, go to www.wireless4mb.com.
  • donaldedonalde Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the 2007 E-320 Bluetec Diesel will be available with 4-matic ? Will it have the new 7 speed transmission ? Where can I get more info on the Bluetec ? Is this technology too new to purchase in the first model year ?
    Don
    Not sure what MBUSA will do yet, but the E320 Diesel is available with 4Matic in Europe. It would be a big mistake if they didn't offer that combo here IMO. Diesel tech has been around for a while now and the Bluetec is just an advancement on a familiar theme so no I wouldn't worry about that.

M
    I agree with edspider. The Keyless GO and electronic trunk closer are items I added on my car, but thought long and hard about. However, now that I have them, I LOVE them! We also have a New Jetta tdi with a similar style trunk to the cdi. It is surprisingly difficult to close. There is no external handle to close the trunk with, and no inside pulldown as the Audi has- therefore the electronic trunk closer is useful indeed (I don't like dirty hands from touching the trunk either).

Keyless GO is exceptionally convenient for the reasons edspider mentioned. It is so nice to be able to just walk up to the car and pull open the door handle! Touch of a button as you leave, and all is secure. Couldn't be better- especially when my hands are full of briefcase, purse, coat etc. To know them is to love them.

I also have the Panorama roof. Now that IS a luxury item, but I love the openness it affords the interior. Personal choice to be sure.
    Joy
    I've had keyless GO on Lexus and Infiniti's, too. And my partner at work has it on Acura. Mercedes does it best. Infiniti is the worse. Lexus is pretty close to Mercedes. I'm suprised how subtle differences make a big difference in functionality.

I thought about the panorama roof, but the only one I saw was at the auto show. I figured it would only look good on a black body. I love black and think they look the best, but they are just too high maintenance for me. (I went with Pewter). I think earlier panoramic roofs included a solar powered fan to keep the cabin cooled when sitting in the sun, but that was sadly dropped in 2006.
    I want to add the handsfree phone option, but I'm holding off until the bluetooth option is available. It's expected any day now. Because Benz has impressed me so much with how well they've implemented everything else, I'm ok with the premium cost. I need the best possible sound because I hear with a cochlear implant. The handsfree options in the 06 M35 and 04 LS430 weren't good enough for me. The 04 LS implementation of bluetooth was dismal. The 06 M35 was much better, but had sound quality issues.
  • pacificnwpacificnw Member Posts: 1
    I have been a loyal owner of Mercedes Benz vehicles for many years and considering purchasing a 2005 E320 CDI. I have heard from a few owners that 2003 and newer E- class models with the GPS Navigation System have electrical problems. I would like to hear from owners without the Navigation system, are you having electrical problems also? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • joeincoloradojoeincolorado Member Posts: 2
    I picked up an E350 because I liked driving a C350 (of some kind - don't recall what it was) that I had as a loaner when the ML350 was in the shop for service. I had driven C320s in the past as loaner cars and was not really impressed - but the C350 was much different than I recalled the earlier cars being - faster, quieter, and seemingly better handling. That was it, I was back into driving sedans - what fun to push through curves... It was almost like driving my '83 Rabbit GTi (which I still drive) - just faster : )

Out shopping I went. Drove an E350, A6, and a 530. I liked them all - but the MB won me over due to its quieter interior (at least to me) and more all-around comfort in driving manners.

So when a local dealer had a very reasonable 27 month lease offer on a 4Matic, I went for it ($519/mo 10K miles/year E350 4matic - prem pkg - iridium silver). I could not be happier with the car. No issues at all. It has been to the mountains in blizzard like conditions (spring snow storms) in roaring cross winds (sustained 40mph - gusts to 60) and driving rain - all in less than 2000 miles so far : ) Climbing hills - even at 10,000 plus feet seems effortless (although to be fair, it does not pass as fast as when around home and that's at 6000 feet) never really needs to be shifted down like the ML does.

Although I have a minor quibble with the stereo - I think it is muddy in the midrange. This is the Harmon Kardon system - anyone else think this? My Bose in the ML sounds better. Installing an iPod adaptor and using the Rock EQ setting seems to have helped - but not as much as I would have liked.

That aside, I knew the new Es would be coming some time in the next couple of years so I thought a short term lease would be just the ticket to tide me over. Looks like I won't be disappointed. Although I do get a lot of grief from the folks I work with about how the windshield costs more than their whole car does : ) I guess I really should have gotten an Avalon...
  • joeyzazajoeyzaza Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if leasing a used E Class is a feasible option? Would like to drive the E Class but would like to stay within my employers lease allowance. Do the MB dealers offer a lease program on pre-owned vehicles?
  • revkevrevkev Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide which car would be a better value in terms of maintenance costs, reliability, quality, and etc. Can anyone offer any advice on which would be a better purchase between a pre-owned E320 or BMW 5 series? I want to keep whatever I get for a very long time.

Thanks.
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    LEXUS LS430
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    AMEN................
    The LS430 is more reliable, but I dumped it for the 06 E350 and am a much happier camper. The LS is a larger car. I doubt you'll find much difference between the E and the 5 as far as reliability and maintenance costs go and both will last a long time. I would just look around get one you like the color and option set of.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Call me crazy, but my 96 Camry with 90K miles drives as nice as 2001 E430 that I bought a month ago. Dimensionally with the exception of MB's longer wheelbase they are the same.

The Camry's V6 at 80-90 mph is as quite as the MB's V8. In 10 years of owning the Camry, the only time it has ever been to the dealer was to have the timing belt replaced at 90K miles. I do all the maintenance myself, and will be doing the same for the MB.

The MB feels solid and tight. The Camry feels soft and floaty. I must admit that MB's tight feel and firm seats make it a better highway cruiser.

Joe
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    I'm so discouraged. I need a wagon, and would prefer a diesel, but in reading this I see no hope. Doesn't MB realize the last diesel wagons for the US were in 87. Haven't I waited long enough??? My 87 wagon is still going strong, and I bought a gas wagon in the meantime, but come one MB, can't the wagon people move in to the future?
    I suppose I have to buy an R320cdi - but that isn't bluetec - right? And it's just not as good looking as an E.
    Did I read something about the bluetec engine and having to go to the dealer with some regularity to get filled up/or emptied with ???
    I think you should let MBUSA know about your situation. I don't think they see enough demand for a diesel wagon in the U.S. It appears that they've even decided not to being a E550 wagon to the U.S. for 2007. The Bluetec as I understand it will be just the E320 Sedan for 2007 which is supposed certified for sales in all 50 states. The R320, ML320 and GL320 are all 45 state models for 2007, but are supposed to be upgraded to the Bluetec system for 2008, but a E320 CDI wagon I don't see ever coming here. :(

With the Bluetec systems there is a canister of urea that has to be changed at every service visit. The details are still being worked out because states like Cali want to make sure anyone who buys this diesel stays on top of this service because that is what keeps the car compliant.

M
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...there is a canister of urea that has to be changed at every service visit..."

Another use for the ol' outdoor "bar-b" - boiling collected urine down for the urea content... (Those weekend cookout steaks may smell a little funny if the grill isn't properly aired out, though. ;))
This discussion has been closed.