Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    July.

M
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    I really like the pewter color and debated a lot about that v. the white that I eventually chose. I think the pano roof looks SHARP wtih the white- better than in black. And, surprisingly, my previous experience with white cars has shown that white cars don't look dirty nearly as soon as dark colored cars. I think Pewter probably shows the dirt a tad less, but maybe not really much difference to the casual eye. And, white is $690 less than the pewter! Figured that gave me a little more flexibility in the other option I picked, just for the heck of it: the wood steering wheel. While there is no earthly, practical reason to have that steering wheel, it is drop dead gorgeous and it feels divine!
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I got that gorgeous steering wheel, too. I can understand why the pano roof would look good in white or black. White is the best color for not showing dirt. Always has been. Mine is a month old now. No problems, no regrets. I just love this car!
  • drv4fundrv4fun Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I've had my 06 E-class sedan for almost a year now and noticed the other day another E-class with a different tail lights than mine. It was badgeless so I couldn't tell if it was a 350 or 500. It had a bunch of LED looking lights on the top part of the tail lights. I know for sure mine does not look like that. I've looked at a few sites and could not find it. Is this an AMG thing and can I order it somewhere for my E-350? Anyone know?

TIA
    Well that could have been the new S or a CLS I think, not sure.

M
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Sadly, I don't see an E320cdi wagon. I've waited for many, many years for a diesel wagon to come back on the market, but not according to your above reply. With the price of fuel and the great mileage the E320cdi sedan gets, I just don't get it.
    If they can put a diesel in the R and GL, why not the E wagon?
    Also, judging by the pictures the wagon looks more like the last model rather than the present model. The present model is smaller due to the sloping rear - and as a wagon driver, I don't want smaller...
    Will the new wagon be out in the fall?
    Thanks
    Yes the facelifted E-Class wagon will be here in Summer actually, but only as a E350 4Matic. For some reason MBUSA has decided not to import a E550 Wagon so you know a E320 Bluetec Wagon is out of the question. Not sure why they're dropping the V8 wagon because unless I was seeing the same wagon over and over again (which I wasn't) the E500 4Matic wagon was quite popular around here, but I'm not sure how many they sold nationwide. If it were up to me there would be a E320 diesel, E350, E550 and E63 wagon, but it isn't. :(

Maybe they'll import more wagons if customer start requesting them and/or start walking out of the MB showroom instead of buying a ML,R, or GL...which might be what MBUSA is trying to steer wagon customers towards. Seems unlikely though in a time of rising gas prices which points back to the sensible thing - a diesel wagon. I don't get it either. A E320 diesel sedan and wagon with optional 4Matic would be a killer combo IMO.

M
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Hey-

I'm new here... merc1 knows me quite well, as a matter of fact! :P

I have a couple basic questions, as my wife will be looking at the (refreshed) '07 E350 4Matic:

1. Will the 2007 version come with the fabled 7-Speed auto?

2. Can it come with a rear backup camera?

3. Will there be a significant price increase? I know that it will come with more standard equipment (harmon/kardon stereo, among others), but I hope it's not more than $2,000 over.

4. Finally, does anyone have information on the forthcoming AMG-appearance package, that you'll be able to get on all the 2007 E-Class models? I'm hoping you can get it without man-made leather, and it would be helpful if I knew the price... if it's too much money, I'll just get AMG wheels!

Any info would be fantastic.

Thanks!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I'm already right at home...

I think that Mercedes-Benz isn't importing the E550 here because, frankly, it has no market. The S6 Avant (as well as the A6 4.2 Avant) isn't being sold here, and as far as I know, there is no 550xi wagon. Also, the E500/550 was a bit pricey- it looks like a bad value next to the ample E350, which is already in most of its competitors' V8 price markets.

Just a thought.

:confuse:
    Not sure why they aren't importing a E550 wagon because the E500 wagon at least seemed like it was popular, but without the actual sales numbers........

M
    1. 4Matic models, no its still the 5-speed, 7-speed doesn't fit with the 4Matic hardware.

2. No.

3. Probably about 1K or so price increase.

4. No idea about the AMG package yet. The man made leather is a European thing only.

M
    I could have sworn I saw some pricing sheets for the 2007 and while the base price went up a little, the options got redone such that for a lot of people, the net price is lower.

I had a rear camera on my last two cars and loved it. I was worried about just having Parktronic when I switched to the E. What I found is the E is just easier to backup and park than the larger LS or odd shaped M. I don't miss the backup camera as much as I thought I would.

I decided I'd rather have the 7 speed and better mpg than AWD. Chicago has only a couple of bad snow days and the roads I travel are plowed quickly. Besided the stability control in the benz is excellent.
    Yeah that was a MBUSA to dealers letter I posted earlier in this thread from a post from MBWorld.org. They are regrouping the options and adding standard equipment but I'm not sure if the final price will come out cheaper, we'll see.

I had a rear camera on my last two cars and loved it. I was worried about just having Parktronic when I switched to the E. What I found is the E is just easier to backup and park than the larger LS or odd shaped M. I don't miss the backup camera as much as I thought I would.

I'm glad you saw the design for what it is and not for what it didn't have. I've seen a few people on other board pass on the E because it didn't have a backup camera and I'm thinking uhh...it doesn't need one.

M
    I happen to live in Chicago also- do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I live in the suburbs, where black E320s are a dime a dozen (as well as RX330s, which we have now), so we'd be thinking about getting that fabulous dark green color on the E350 4Matic, with the AMG package.

However, my wife insists on AWD, and I too think it's necessary. Weather is so unpredictable here, it might snow a lot this winter! Tell me how your E goes through the winter... in December! We'll be getting our new car in January, so it would be great if you could remember to report a month before that.

Thanks!

I happen to live in Chicago also- do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I live in the western burbs. Trust me I get tired of seeing Mercedes' sometimes especially on a good sunny Saturday.

M
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I too have been eyeing the E350 - I need to get out of an SUV lease - my LR3 is great when I need the space (which is about 10% of the time), but the 13 mpg is killing me, and I miss the driving fun. I'm in upstate NY so our winters are probably similar...I've had RWD BMW's in the past, and with 4 snows I never had much trouble. With traction & stability control, it's tough to get in trouble. Usually stopping is more important than starting. With the price difference and 7sp auto vs. the 5 sp, I'm leaning away from the 4matic. Does anyone else out there have any experience with the 4matic vs the RWD - either in snow or in routine dry road handling?? BTW I love the way BMW's drive, but the new styling and I-drive really turn me off; and I hear the new E350 will have tighter steering and suspension.
    (LOL)- I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but what suburb exactly? If this is too personal, you don't have to answer.

Almost the ONLY reason I want the AMG package is because there are infinite E-Classes where I live- and I'd like mine to look different.

Or "better"- either one!

;)
    After reading Insideline's 2007 E-Class article, I was blown away.

I have never seen so much praise for a midsize sedan- not one flaw.

And they even said it looks more elegant than the S-Class! That makes us happy- my wife doesn't want to be upstaged by her friend, who just got the S550 (hahah I know- image problem).

The interior, while not as fresh as the A6's, is very elegant and functional. The exterior, on the other hand, looks somehow 100% better- that bodykit they added on it is perfect.

Now, we're thinking Airmatic suspension, for sure 4Matic AWD, Sport Package, and Sirius Satellite Radio.

We're going to refrain, though, until she drives it- and takes the Range Rover Sport for a 24-hour test drive.

Again- blown away. The review was more glowing than for the reviews of the new S, which is described as perfect.

:surprise:

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX 330
    (LOL)- I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but what suburb exactly? If this is too personal, you don't have to answer.

Aurora to be exact, and you?

Well if you get a 2007 E you'll have a unique car for at least 2 months...lol!

What E-Class article are you talking about?

M
    I live in Glencoe- where E-Classes are too numerous to count, much like the Lexus RX330.

If we get an E550, which I just began to consider today because Insideline said it was "perfect" in every way, (and its massive power) I'm sure we'll have a highly admired car- I'm fairly sure it has more power than the last-generation E-Class's AMG model! ('01 E55 AMG)

Also, I am a huge fan of the 2007's looks. They somehow transformed the car's styling from bland to very sharp- you should read the article. They even said it's more elegant than the new S-Class.

The article is "2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans" on edmunds.com/insideline.

Options we're now considering: (E350 4Matic) Premium Package, Sport Package, Sirius Satellite Radio. Same options for the E550 4Matic, if we really need an extra 110hp- it would be nice for me, but it would be a bit embarrassing to say that my wife, who drives considerably slower than me, had 40 more horsepower.

Would be nice, though...

I live in Glencoe- where E-Classes are too numerous to count, much like the Lexus RX330

Oh, a rich guy! I'm sure in that area E's are like Accords.

Well no car is perfect including the E-Class. I'll be watching to see what others say, even Edmunds when they actually test the car.

M
    Hah I know Glencoe is quite a "jappy" town- but I'm not on the pretentiously wealthy part, thank you very much!

You see even more E's in Highland Park... and the S-Class is booming over here. I'm happy to say I've only seen one GL- and don't plan on seeing many more. There's just no fizzle to that car; one of my friends are going to trade in their LX470 today, and they're most likely going to get another LX or GX because the GL is too plain-looking (their words, not mine).

It's really a marvel how Mercedes-Benz can make cars as beautiful as the SL and as uninspired as the GL... I guess SUVs are just not their forte.

Happy Mother's Day
    It's really a marvel how Mercedes-Benz can make cars as beautiful as the SL and as uninspired as the GL... I guess SUVs are just not their forte.

Well the SL is not only a car, but its a roadster. It is one thing to design a SUV and a roadster. Anyway SUVs aren't the forte of any of the German carmakers. Some SUVs do look better than others for sure, but none of them look as good as the average good looking car IMO so it really is matterless to me.

M
    There are a few select SUVs, that I admire for their individualism, if not their overall sanity:

Range Rover Sport

G-Wagen

Q7

LX/RX*

X5*

FX

*These models, while high in volume, are different- because if they were like every other SUV, they wouldn't be selling so well. They deserve their success.

These SUVs are almost as close to my heart as most sedans, but I have a soft spot for convertibles...

;)
  • nuvalarinuvalari Member Posts: 1
    I just read a review here on the new E550 sedan. In that review it says the E63 will use the 5-speed tranny that the E55 used. All other sources ( including the AMG website) says the e63 will use the 7-speed. Could that have been an editors mistake? :(
    The 7 speed tranny is larger than the 5 speed. It might be 6.3L engine takes up enough room such that only the 5 speed will fit.
    I read that review and thought it was lacking in any useful detail. I have the 2006 model and could see only very minor differences. While I love my E and for me it is perfect, I didn't understand where the author of that was coming from.

I'll be much more interested in what the 2009 E looks like. That's when they really get a chance to dribble down some of the new S-Class perks.
    It would've been nice if they had the price of the E350 4Matic- that's what I'm in the market for, (2007 version) and I'm sure Mercedes-Benz has released the prices by now.

Does anybody know when the updated E is coming out? I'm guessing this summer, or fall?

ed, which E do you own? I have a thing for E-Classes- the current one is just getting extremely tired, and/or bland, to my eyes. Although it's elegant, I see Funeral Black E320s so much that I'd like to get a purple one with a yellow interior to really stand out!

Haha just kidding... :P
    Edmunds made a mistake, the E63 uses the 7G-Tronic automatic revised by AMG as does the CLK63 and CLS63.

The 07' E-Class lands here in July. It goes on sale in Europe June 10th and figure on a month later for the U.S. market.

edspider1 - the real changes are under the skin, steering, brakes (no longer of the electronic variety), engines and some interior refinements.

M
    I read from a [questionable] reliable source that Mercedes won't be changing the price of 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder E-Classes when it gets updated- even though it has more standard luxuries.

Maybe Mercedes-Benz is finally coming to its over pricing senses- and that would be quite nice. It would make my E350 4Matic with options about $3,000 less, which would be competitive (in the V8 class, at least)!

;)
    I also just read that the Sport Package will be a no cost option-- making the Benz even more competitive! This is because there are equal "Sport" and "Luxury" models, and even though the "Luxury" is standard equipment, the "Sport" is almost counted as an extra model, and because it's the sporty version, and the other is the sumptuous version, they're the same price.

The thinking at M-B is flawed though... in the Sport, you get all the Luxury model's features, but with bigger tires, cooler body kit, gorgeous wheels, and big dual exhausts- which just adds to the Luxury's overall package. Even though it should be more money, I'm 100% happy that Mercedes-Benz made a mistake and it's not!!!
    Well there aren't any 4-cylinder E-Classes in this market.

The thinking at M-B is flawed though... in the Sport, you get all the Luxury model's features, but with bigger tires, cooler body kit, gorgeous wheels, and big dual exhausts- which just adds to the Luxury's overall package. Even though it should be more money, I'm 100% happy that Mercedes-Benz made a mistake and it's not!!!

:confuse:

M
  • lanewbielanewbie Member Posts: 25
    Can one of you E-class owners or experts tell me whether the hands free communication option in the 2006 E350 allows you to use your own phone via Bluetooth, or whether you have to buy a new Mercedes phone (and therefore have yet another phone number!). I would like to be able to use my own Bluetooth phone, through the E350 audio system, giving it voice commands. Can I do this? The dealer isn't sure.

Thanks!
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    Hi.

Where have you red about no cost for Sport Package for E350 ?
    I just leased mine 2006 E-350 4MATIC and will be very disappointed to know, that 2007 comes Sport Package free.
    Could you post the link ?
    Personally me, I would never beleive MB will give you anything for free. Just to own it - you pay extra 5K-7K
    compared to Lexus, Infinity or BMW.

Thanks.
    Or Audi... please, please, please-- NEVER mention Infiniti above Audi! Audi is much more established in the world market, than both Infiniti and Lexus.

Also- BMW is only marginally less expensive than M-B, in the 3 and 5 at least. The 525xi starts at $45K, which is more than an A6 3.2 quattro- which has more standard features and power! The 530xi, on the other hand, is comparable to the A6, but starts at $50K- which is closer to the E350 4Matic's price of $53K.

My source is actually edmunds' own Future Car listings. Under 2007 E-Class, it has a paragraph about the basics. Unless I (or edmunds) am mistaken, it says that the E-Class will have a no-cost "Sport" version, which is the Sport Package.
    See this post. It contains the information MBUSA sent out to their dealers about the 07' E-Class.

M
    Thanks, merc...

And I found even more evidence than just "Future Cars":

"Although not distinct models like the entry-level C-Class, the 2007 E-Class will offer both Sport and Luxury styles. Consider the Luxury model the base car while the no-cost change to the Sport model adds features like dual exhaust pipes, additional exterior trim and exclusive interior colors. All models are upgraded with a new steering wheel, shift lever and standard features like PreSafe, a sunroof and the Harman Kardon Logic7 audio system."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=109992#1

Oh, and merc... Will the E350 4Matic be available with the Sport Package? It said that the "E350 S4" will only be availalbe with the Luxury Package, but I have no idea what "S4" means!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX 330
  • jjdowjjdow Member Posts: 20
    Ok, I have a 24 hour loan on an E500 demo in Houston. Its Pewter and Charcoal. Has the Premium package and 5700 miles.... Dealer Demo... Has never been titled. I'm trading a 2000 CLK430... time to back to a 4 door. So far this car is as fast as my CLK and handles almost as well.

This is a dupe post from "Prices Paid", but I'm in a little hurry.... thanks !

I have a 24 hour loaner E500. List w/ Destination is $64,175. This is a 5,700 mile demo thats never been titled. I have them down to about $53,700, or about $6K under invoice... Its the Pewter/Charcoal combo. Sure drives nice. Does this seem like a good deal? Thanks !! jim
    Yes- that's quite a good deal.

At that price, you'd be paying for an E350 4Matic with a Sirius Satellite Radio (that's it).

But, you may want to wait for the updated E-Class that we've been discussing, coming this summer... the V8 engine will be the 5.5 liter, straight from the new S-Class, and the E350 will remain unchanged; but, some big news is the E320 Bluetec Diesel coming soon.

However, this might be the best time to buy an E500- before the E550 comes out! Also, does this E550 have the Airmatic suspension? If it does, then you should definitely buy it. The CLK is a beautiful car- especially the new one. My wife would be getting one theoretically (CLK350 convertible), but since I already have a convertible, it's more practical that we get an E.

• jjdowjjdow Member Posts: 20
    Yes, it has the Airmatic Suspension. And Navagation. There are 3 suspenion Settings - Comfort, Sport I, Sport II. It even feels like the steering stiffens a bit as you move to Sport II. I'm telling you this is faster than my CLK430. I've put about 100 test miles on it tonight on some of my frequent driving patterns and I love it. Guess I'm really ready for a little more smoothness. When I use the manual shift, the torque and acceleration through shifting is way more than I can exploit, so waiting for the 550 with 60 more HP doesn't seem necessary.

I think $6k under invoice is looking good based on my research so far. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. I like good deals !! ;-)
    Oh, and merc... Will the E350 4Matic be available with the Sport Package?

I'm not sure, it wasn't real clear in that letter, but "S4" I take it stands for the 4Matic model.

The cars should be here in about a month though.

M
    Thank for link.
    What I personally think - Yes - they may say it's going to be " no charge " , but this no charge will come with a basic price increase. I leased my E350 4Matic with primium and pano roof for $650 today with zero down and I don't think you'll be able to lease so called no charge Sport Package even close to this price. I remember the time, when they just came out with new E model ( 2003-2004 ) and when I came to our delaer - he even did not whanted to hear a lease price less then $700 PLUS TAX.
    I think, for people who are leasing a car. any facelift is opportunity to have a great car for a great price for 2 years( my lease is 27 months ) and after this will see.
    Mercedes is a great car, but to drive it all of my life ? - no...thanks..I'll try something else.
    It's my personal opinion...Good luck all of you.
    Thanks- but my last leased car was my '00 Audi A6 2.7T. If it was bought, I'm sure I would've kept it a year or so over the 5-year lease. I just felt like it was time to buy all my cars.

I really hope the new E350 4Matic will have an optional Sport Package- the wheels and exhausts are fabulous! (it will also make it quicker than my A6, which is the third most quick car I've ever owned, behind my S4 and A3)

• sgeersgeer Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 E350. Dealer told me they sell an adapter bluetooth interface between the OEM Motorola cell connection and whatever phone interfaces with bluetooth. This $300 adapter may be old info for you now, but just in case here is: http://www.aardvarkmm.com/. This is recognized as a MB phone. Since your 06 model has bluetooth, I would assume your bluetooth equiped phone would work. I would research the Cell supplier to determine if the formats are compatible. The dealer really should know.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Just bought a 2002 E350."

Really? Are you sure about that? Last I checked, the E350 was new for the 2006 model year and prior to that the V6 E-Class was dubbed the E320, which coincidentally had a 3.2 liter V6 under the hood.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sgeersgeer Member Posts: 2
    Yup, Just don't know my ABEs I guess. 12 years ago I went out to get a Ford Explorer and came home with a 3 year old STS. I just went out to buy a replacement STS and came home with the 5 year old E320. Rather ignorant of what I have done and still being indoctrinated. Thanks.
    Hi All.

Yesterday got my e350 4matic. The car drives like a dream.
    My previous car was Jaguar S-type - there is nothing to compare. Jag drives like a boat in a storm, shaking on a road from side to side. E-class is solid, sticks to the road, very comfortable. The only thing is worse than in Jag is Stereo - I could not imagine Harmon-Kardon will be worse then Premium Jaguar stereo. This is the only disappointment I have for now. Oh..almost forgot - it takes forever to read this manual about all tricks it has attached to steering wheel that displays on speedometer. Still did not get it, but I think it takes time and help from friends..lol..
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    When I got mine I sat in the driveway for several hours.My neighbors thought that I had moved into my car. After 1 month have it under control.

Once you understand it I really like all the programs that I can control.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    Just curious - did you consider others in this class (A6, 5-series, M35, etc.)? If you did, what are your thoughts on the competition? I've been a big BMW fan but the latest 5-series, both inside and out, turns me off. I'll probably wait and take a close look at 2007 E350 since I hear they've made it a bit more sporty (suspension, changed braking system), I'm hoping it will drive more like the 5-series. I'm also concerned about the quality problems with the E350, I'm hoping MB finally has them taken care of by this time.
This discussion has been closed.