Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• lex10lex10 Member Posts: 30
    I curently own a 2003 E500 and I was looking to purchase or lease an 08 E350 but a couple of things troubled me when comparing it to my E500.
    1-The seats in the 350 are MB tex which is not leather, leather is an extra option.
    2-350 feels under powered, which is what I hoped they would correct for 2008 (BMW has 535 with 300 hp turbo)
    3-The suspension in the E500 is the airmatic and this option is not even available in the E350, it is a good option to have in my opinion.
    4-I'm thinking about ordering the E550 now, but I might be better off with E350 because of the gas prices.

Anyway goodluck with your car sounds like a nice vehicle. Any reason why you didnt get the 4matic?
  • jimm5jimm5 Member Posts: 5
    I considered the 550 when I decided on the 350 Sport. I have a C6 vette and
    DO like power. However, I drove a 350 Sport and was surprised that it has
    PLENTY of power!

I think one thing that helps the instant power is its smooth and well geared
    7 speed tranny.

One dealer told me that they aren’t selling many 550s. Of course they’re
    9,000 more, so that probably isn’t a big surprise. Gas mileage, TODAY, is
    quite important. I think that will effect resale, too.

jimm

==========

On Order: 08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
    Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
    Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps
  • bazohimbabazohimba Member Posts: 14
    Mine is scheduled for building on June 28. The dealer expects it to be in Indianapolis by about the middle of July.

E320 bluetech, white, cashmere MBTex, Premium II, parktronic, wood/leather, voice, split rear seat
  • jimm5jimm5 Member Posts: 5
    That’s Great! I “think” mine is scheduled for June 10 build. But, my dealer is pissing me off in that he’s not telling me much of anything.

Have you heard about any changes for 08? I wish they’d put in a new Nav .. like Lesus has.

jimm

==========

On Order: 08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
    Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
    Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps
  • tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Member Posts: 10
    I recently purchased a 2007 E350 4Matic. It has the MB Tex seats. I think they are vinyl but you would swear they are leather. My other car has 320hp. The E350 feels just as fast. If you haven't taken the E350 for a test drive please do as I think your issues will resolve themselves.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Gee, for a guy who has enough bucks to buy (or is it really just lease?) a MB you have a distinctive way with words. Can we be more business-like?
  • fishfoolsfishfools Member Posts: 5
    i am contemplating an e350 and debating between an '07 and an '08. for those of you who have a 2008 on order, how much over invoice are you paying? i have a dealer who is willing to sell me a 2007 for $800 over invoice...is that a good deal on a 2007? should i wait for an '08? i live in portland, oregon. thanks.
    Sorry blckislandguy. I apologize for my keen sense of the English language. Perhaps, I should have forgone my private education and gone to PS24 like you.
    So what is so bad about leasing? I drive a new car every 24 months. Should I feel better about myself driving a 10 year old MB that I own?
    I'm happy that you went to private schools but lets omit the ad hominems. I didn't have the benefit of a private secondary school education but picked up a lot of education about life in RVN in 1965-67 before going to Cornell on the GI Bill. To describe a dealer (probably in reality an hourly employee, not the dealer-principal) as "pissing me off" because they are able to comply with your requests for information is inappropriate on this forum. I'd hate to see your reaction to a real problem.
    My total apology. I thought your sarcastic message #6605 was in response to me yet it was actually directed to someone else. I read the "pissing me off" comment and had no idea what you are talking about.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I do live outside 495. Well, about 2 miles inside it to be exact but in the central part which is nicknamed the "snowbelt". I can remember driving home from work about 2 in the afternoon when the blizzard of 78 started at noon and by 5pm there was nearly a foot of snow on the roads. I came through all that (20 miles) with a rear wheel drive Dodge Dart and didn't have any real problem. And it didn't even have limited slip. I think I qualify as an experienced winter driver. So I've never even considered owning 4 or AWD. If it's THAT bad, I'll just stay where I'm at...!

I've looked at Volvos in the past but many of them aren't roomy enough for me (6' 3") and their reliability is pretty bad too. I do fit in the S80 but it isn't as "roomy" as the E320 so I probably wouldn't be comfortable on one of my 3-4K mile trips.

Others mentioned buying a luxury Certified car. Both of my E320's were Starmarked and I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. Both required expensive repairs during the 50-100K range. The 2001 more so than the 1996...! Quality has been going down in my experience.

I threw out the $800 repair number as an estimate. My 1996 once out of warranty cost me about $3500 in repairs between 115-120K miles. That's expensive when I'm doing about 19K miles per year.. I don't want to repeat that with the 2001 in the next year or so (95K and counting now). And I haven't been impressed by the resale /trade-in pricing. Maybe that's partly due to the perceived quality drop-off in recent years for MB.

One luxury Certified car that interests me is the Infiniti M35. On the online auto sites, the few that are available are priced very high. But I'm looking at the 2006 version which is the newer M35. So maybe I'll have to wait a year to get an affordable one. Or buy a lesser car like an certified Avalon.. Time will tell..

:(
  • rrohrbeckrrohrbeck Member Posts: 1
    For those that have the E 350 are you happy with the performance or do you wish you had gotten the V8?

Also if you have the Sport Package would you get it again?

Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    For those that have the E 350 are you happy with the performance or do you wish you had gotten the V8?

Also if you have the Sport Package would you get it again?

I for one am very happy with the performance of the E350, and do not crave the power of the V8. In addition, I get 21-22 mpg in city and 24-28 mpg in mixed driving, an extra bonus. I love the white instrumentation and exterior effects of the SP. The ride is not excessively stiff and allows spirited performance when desired. The dark wood (not my first choice) that comes with the SP and the expected decreased tire wear are the only drawbacks to it IMHO. That being said, I'd get the SP again. With it being a no charge option, to me it is a no brainer.

My $.02.
  • beancounter6beancounter6 Member Posts: 7
    I got the sport package on my 350 last fall. I really like the SP looks - exterior and interior. Only complaints:
    Tire noise seems much higher with the low profile tires. This is my biggest issue, and my dealer didn't tell me what to expect.
    Low treadwear - dealer recently told me to expect 12K to 16K depending on how hard I drive it. Front and rear tires are not even same size so you can't rotate. Plus cost to replace tires will be higher.
    I wouldn't do the SP again. Wish I had gotten the 320 CDI.
  • bazohimbabazohimba Member Posts: 14
    It's hard to know for sure what the 'deals' are, as many have the urge to brag or exaggerate their deal. I would think that $800 over invoice is a good price on an '07. If the car has what you want, it sounds pretty good. If it sits on the lot for a while, it may be had for less.

My deal is for one I wanted exactly and finding an E320 diesel isn't easy if you want certain things, like the P2 package. The price is based on 4% off MSRP. The actual price isn't known yet, as MB hasn't released the '08 cars yet. Go figure!! My problem is getting a good price for my '05 Cadillac STS4. Hear the usual "They're not selling well right now" excuse.
  • tron1tron1 Member Posts: 1
    I don't think there is any real change between to 07 to 08. I recent bought the e350 4matic @ 900 dollars under dealer invoice. Had the sport package plus the p1 option. also bought the bluetooth for my phone. Great car I love it. test drove the BMW 2008 535xi, like the car but wasn't comfortable in the cabin, felt very large to me. felt more comfortable in the E350, so I bought it. Dealer finance 2.9 6yrs. The BMW didn't have good financing only got 6.9 from them plus they didn't discount because it was a new 2008. Also i believe BMW controls their inventory better than MB. Its alot of money for a car but I really enjoy it. I bought my car in New Jersey. The dealership was great, second car I bought from them.
    MB is going to redesign the E in 2010. Only difference between the 06 and 07 is the front grille and side mirrors.
  • cychangcychang Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2007 E-350 with sport package- first flat at 743 miles in May and 2nd flat at 1650 miles in June, both at city street- both Mercedes-Benz and Continental tire ( German made?) are dening any responsibilities- more than $500 out of the window! Any suggestion? advice? CY
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yup, situation normal. Every manufacturer (Mercedes included) that offers low profile "Sport" tires include a disclaimer that they are much more susceptible to damage from pot-holes, curbs and generally poor condition roads. In your case just be glad that you haven't damaged any wheels (yet), that’s when things start getting really expensive.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this but Mercedes and Continental are correct, it isn't their responsibility.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'd agree with Shipo, MB and Continental are probably not technically responsible, but...

...I've logged 15,500 miles over 21 months on a Porsche 911S with a fair number of city miles in Washington DC without any flats or problems on 235/35 and 295/30 19" W rated tires. (The rears were replaced due to tread wear at 12,600 miles - but that is considered normal and the tread wear was very even).

I suggest that when it comes time to replace the Continentals, you shop around and do some research. Continentals are generally considered to be the worst quality brand of tire, at least for higher performance tires. I have Pirelli's on my 911, but Michelin's were also highly recommended by my dealer.

Another consideration might be to go for a harder compound in a H or V rated tire next time around (assuming sizes match). The E350 is a sedan, not a sports car and I seriously doubt that too many people could tell the difference in handling between a good H/V rated tire and a W/Y/Z rated one. If they can, they should probably be driving an E63 (or, better yet, 911S).
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    As a general comment to those considering the sport package on an E350, you might want to factor in tire replacement costs into the equation. According to Tire Rack, the 18" Sport Package tires, in Michelin Pilot Sports, will run about $1,150 a set, not including shipping or installation (figure $1,400 installed). Life expectancy = 12-15k miles (cannot be rotated). The standard 17" tires, in Pirelli's will run about $600 a set (figure $750 installed). Life expectancy 35k+ miles (can be rotated).

A golfing buddy of mine recently bought a E350 Sport off the lot, rather than a E550 non-sport. Part of his reason was the better gas mileage for the E350. He got the sport package, because he liked the look and they had it in the color and other options that he wanted. On the 19th hole, I bet him that the additional tire cost on his E350 Sport would eat up all of the gas savings from not going with the E550. He drives 15-18k miles a year and plans on keeping the car 6 years, 100k miles (bought an extended warranty).

Here are the numbers we came up with:

Gas Savings: E550 average mpg = 18; E350 average = 23. (His estimate from talking with other owners with similar driving habits). For 100k miles = 5,555 gals in E550 vs. 4,350 in E350. Gas savings with E350 = $4,000 +/- (1,205 gallons at $3.35).

Added Tire Cost: 100k miles = 6 sets of replacement tires at total of $1,400 per set on E350 = $8,400. 2-3 sets of replacements at $750 total on E550 = $1,500 - $2,250. Difference = $6,200 to $6,900. :surprise: :surprise:

So, for anyone considereing getting an E350 over an E550 because of gas prices, you might want to hold off on the Sport Package, since it is very likely to cost you substantially more (50-75% more by our calculations) than the gas savings you will get with the 6 vs. 8 cylinder engine. A 30% savings at the gas pump gas won't cover a 400%+ increase in tire costs.

Feel free to check my math. My number crunching friend did several ways and I won the 19th hole drinks and dinner bet. ;)

P.S. Perhaps this is why the Sport Package is free. If I were Pirelli or Michilen, I'd give you those larger rims for free and make it up in selling tires. Kind of like the $99 HP printer that takes $50 in ink catridges every 2 months.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, not sure why we were discussing TL tires here, but I moved the posts to the right discussion: laurasdada, "Acura TL Tires and Wheels" #225, 14 Jul 2007 3:48 pm. ;)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Thanks. I was cruising this neighborhood (as a former/future E class shopper...) and just latched onto a tire discussion.

Thanks for the heavy lifting, sorry to create the need.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    np :)
  • tke822tke822 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '04 E500 with 49K miles and I have decided to keep the vehicle for a couple more years. Can anyone recommend a reputable company to contact in regards to adding an extended warranty? Thanks.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Had similar situation with my 05 CDI. Contact AAA. They referred me to their Member Care warranty center.
    Great point. To the higher cost, let me add higher road noise. I've found the sport tires to be very noisy, esp from the rear tires. I fell for the great looks of the SP at no extra cost, but in hindsight feel I got the worse end of the deal. Wish my salesperson had warned me about these matters. At least only a 27 month lease.
    Great point. To the higher cost, let me add higher road noise. I've found the sport tires to be very noisy, esp from the rear tires.

What make tire do you have? My Conti's do not seem noisy.
  • chanderchander Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone have a comment on the performance and value of the Bluetec cars? Thanx
    Chander
    Habitat and Beancounter, nice posts. If your tire life expectancy figures are correct, MB is going to have another PR fiasco to face up to.

On a separate note, Habitat please remember that every time I tried to menton on the Porsche 911 forum, the benefits of buying a 911 non-S Type because it was less money, the smaller tires would be less expensive to replace , would have less road noise and would ride better, I got hammered! Sometimes more isn't better.
    I'm running Conti's also, at 33 psi warm. When my wife and I drove it home for the first time (traded in a VW Passat) we both thought a back door wasn't shut or that a rear window was open. Comparison to our Passat was striking on rear tire noise. Didn't notice this on our test drives so caveat emptor I suppose.
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    go to caranddriver.com and search for Mercedes E class or bluetec, you should be able to find the answer to your question.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Foe years of Mercedes ownership I've thought of the brand primarily in terms of quality, engineering and technology. I know there have been ups and downs in quality over the past few years...but am I the only one who is wondering what in the world the current "I Love You, I Love You..." series of TV ads is trying to sell? Some blissful woman laying in a pile of rose petals on the hood of her E? Absolutely pointless. Agree?
  • konocar400hkonocar400h Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking into the purchase of a used E320 or E430 for my son and i was wondering what was the best model year for an e class for below 15,000 dollars. Any advice would be appreciated
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Look for a 2001 or 2002. I just got an '01 E430 from a friend by matching the offer they got from Carmax - $11,000. I have put a couple thousand $ into it to put in in top shape, so that puts it in line with your budget. My wife is driving it now, but it's probably going to be passed down to my teenage son as soon as we figure out what the next car my wife or I will get. It's probably a bit more powerful than he needs, but it is a very safe car.

It's a great car, but be prepared to spend money on maintenance. We just had one of the infamous window regulators die, which cost $375 to replace!

Stay away from the current model W211 (starting with 2003) - worst reliability ever in a MB.
    Do not believe that it is fair to paint all 211's as unreliable. Have an early 2005 E320CDI with all extras that were available at the time. ---$15,000 worth. Car is now 3 yrs old with No problems. Agree that 2003's were a big problem and some 2004's. My son has a 2006 E350 that is now 2 yrs old and has many option--including air suspension and no problems. Between the 2 of us we have had 24 MB's so believe we can make a fair judgement.Believe that the turning point was the 2005 models
    Stay away from the current model W211 (starting with 2003) - worst reliability ever in a MB.

Not necessarily. My 2003 gave me two years of no problems as has my current '07 at one year thus far.
    To the last 2 or 3 contributors who say they had no problems with their W211's...

How many miles did you put on them in the 2 or 3 years you owned them?

The reason I ask is that both my 1996 and 2001 had no problems at all until they got up into the 70K-80K mile range and then they had some serious problems. My 2001 E320, which now has 98K miles, has had a failed wheel bearing (I haven't heard of ANYONE having a failed wheel bearing in more than 25 years !!), both catalytic converters, the down tilting rearview passenger mirror that has been fixed twice and still makes some weird little noises and jerky movements until it is turned off, front suspension bushings, control panel LED failures (replaced entire panel), and on and on.. And all of it started at about the 70K mile mark. I am so glad it had Starmark coverage, otherwise would have cost me $3-4K for all that work. My 1996 E320 was somewhat better, which fits in with the idea that their quality level is dropping with the newer models.

So if you only have 30-40K miles on them, IMHO you haven't had them long enough to see any real problems.
    You say that unless I have "only 30-40K miles on them" I haven't had them long enough to see "real problems". Then you say that you had "no real problems...until they got up into the 70K-80K mile range". Sounds to me like you did well considering your 30-40K mile cut-off. Were they bought new?

Me, I put on 18-20K miles per year and I simply don't keep my cars more than two years, with some exceptions.
  • ny1ny1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had tire/rim and shock issues on their E350 w/sport package? I have already blown a shock after hitting a pothole that barely qualified as such and have damaged my rims so many times just driving over normal local road and highway defects that I'm reconsidering my purchase decision. Now I know why they gave away the sport package -- otherwise a $2k option -- for free . . . since all of the repairs keep the dealer's repair department flush in Marks. Of course, since I declined the $800 optional tire and rim package in one of the 30 sheets of paper I signed when leasing the car, they tell me I'm SOL. What a scam. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    "Sounds to me like you did well considering your 30-40K mile cut-off. Were they bought new?"

I bought both with mid-30K miles on them and a Starmark warranty. Not sure what you mean by the above statement regarding a "30-40K mile cut-off".

What I was trying to say is that almost any car these days will run reliably for the first 30-40K miles. If you only keep a car that long you probably will never see any problems. I also put 18-20K per year on my primary car (currently the 2001 E320) and usually keep my cars at least 4 years even when bought used. I kept my 96 E320 until it had 140K. My 2001 now has 99K and I plan to keep it for about another year or about 120K miles.

As I said in my previous note, my 2001 has been much less reliable than the 1996 which, in my case, indicates a drop in quality over a 5 year period for MB. And many others have noted that their 2003-4 models have already proven to be less reliable than their older models also. Seems to be a trend.....
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I recently "adopted" my nephew who is graduating from Yale this year.

For his graduation gift, I was looking into getting him a nicely used mid-lux ride.

Well, I have a close friend who is in the market to sell his well-cared for 2002 E320.

Was this a good year for the final year of this model? What should I expect to pay (only 32k miles in impecable condition). What are some of the pros and cons of this model. Myself, as far as MB's goes, I've usally bought S-Classes, and so have little knowledge of the E-Classes, although most people I talk to say they're generally good cars. So what's your take?

B.
  • gotrippedgotripped Member Posts: 2
    I got cheated by Mercedes, as my E500 2004 developed rust on the undercarraige to a large degree, so much so that the company sent a rep (thief) out to void my warranty. They really owe me about 30 thousand dollars, but now the car is worthless because they voided the warranty. It is so rusted the shocks collapsed and it needs new springs (2000 dollars). This company Mercedes is so crooked they are bound to go out of business. I am a successful physician in Michigan and I don't do anything extraordinary with my cars. I own a 2006 750Li BMW that runs perfectly, and above all I get great service. I have never, ever, seen a car company cheat me or anybody else as bad as Mercedes has cheated me.
    How does a car company void a warranty?
  • engineer1engineer1 Member Posts: 9
    Have an 06 E350 with 12,500 miles on it. Originally had a blue smoke upon startup problem, but software update apparently took care of this. Got in the car the other day and there was a strong chemical smell when the A/C came on that burned by eyes and nose and made me cough. My original thought was the the A/C was leaking freon, but I think this was not the case. I replaced the cabin air filter (original one was activated charcoal) with a new filter. The local MB dealer only sells non charcoal filters (clue to problem?). Finally took car to dealer to address the problem. Turns out, this is a common problem and MB has a "procedure" to "fix" the problem. Apparently the fix consists of thoroughly cleaning the inside of the car, clean out the A/C unit and spray the worst smelling sweet "perfume" you can imagine in the A/C. I don't know if the original smell is gone or just covered up by the sickening sweet smell. This is my second MB (had a problem plagued 2003 C before) and my retirement vehicle. The car drives great, handles great, gets up to 30 mpg on the highway, and I like the design. It is very discouraging to spend this much for a car and have this sort of thing happen.

I know that there are many others out there with the smell problem or MB would not have an approved fix. Would be interesting to hear from others about their experience and in particular from someone who knows what the problem is.
  • pbooks1pbooks1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, please can anyone advise me if it would be OK to fit new alloy wheels size 8 1/4 Jx17 H2 ET 34(235/45 ZR17 tyres) on my E class Mercedes, 1997 (W210), which currently has 15 inch alloys (205/60 15 tyres).

The alloys I wish to fit to my car are 8 1/4 Jx17 H2 ET 34, are fitted with Dunlop 9000 tyres 235/45 ZR 17.
    Please could you tell me if this is OK to put on my 1997 E230 Mercedes saloon(210).
    The handbook says that suitable wheel & Tyres "light alloy wheel" is these cobinations 235/45 R17 93w tyre & the alloy 8 Jx 17 H2 ET37.

Compared to the alloys I wish to fit, would the above handbook stated ones be OK on my car?? If so what differences in cars drive should be expected?

Thank you very much
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    $375 for a window regulator? Consider yourself lucky. Just replaced the same part in wife's 2003 jaguar with only 20k miles. Are you sitting down? $625 parts and labor. The part alone was over $400. Her next car will be a Lexus whether she wants one or not, and shame on Ford. They deserve to go out of business with obvious rip-off parts prices.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    OK, I'm sitting down and shedding a tear for you. Did you have the work done at a Jaguar dealer? Mine was done at an independent shop; would have cost even more at an MB dealer.
    Had a regulator on the 2001 E320 that I had replaced at the MB dealer for approx $350.
    Before anyone thinks that Lexas are cheap to operate;guess again. Have driven over 100,000 mi over a wide variety of models. Need regular service every 5,000 mi.
    MB service is every 13,000 mi. 2-3 years ago LS430's had a tranny recall. The fix was a new tranny. Also a very large number of 6 cyl. cars have had a "sludge" problem which calls for a rebuilding the engine. Parts are also expensive, as on any luxury car.
    No beef on Lexus, just pointing out that no marque is without its shotcomings. Buy an expensive cars expect expensive costs when there are problems.
  • jedserjedser Member Posts: 1
    Interesting! I bought a new E320CDI in April 07 and have suffered from a horrible sweet smell coming from the ventilation system. I was concerned that it was perhaps burnt diesel fumes getting into the system, but since your vehicle is gas powered this cannot be the case. After twice returning the car to the garage they replaced the air cond evaporator, telling me that it smelt terribly when removed and told me that MB do not always clean the chemicals off of them after manufacture. Alas this has not fixed the problem and the smell is back! They have tried the same anti-fungal spray in the system as you recieved but it just masks the problem for a few days. Clearly they don't know the cause of the problem so I think it is time to write to MB direct. I should have stuck with Jaguar!!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If you drive for 3 years and 45K miles, how much should you expect to spend on regular scheduled maintenance plus wear items such as tires and brakes?
    Any difference for 4Matic vs standard model?
This discussion has been closed.