Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• rokinkeadrokinkead Member Posts: 18
    Parfive: I went to the dealer yesterday, and had the service rep lock the trunk with the mechanical key. It works. Just do this: Clinch your teeth (this going to be painful on the fingers), grip the the key good with your fingers, shut your eyes and turn the key clockwise (do not depress the drum). It works, but the drum is stiff !!!.

Regarding wiper blades: I tested the wiper for the first time today. Someone said it splashes the car next to you.-I felt very bad. I am telling you..I felt the nasty stares with that thing splashing everything beside me. I think the 190E prompted the toll takers to request that wipers be turned off when approaching the booths.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Today, I test drove the Toyota MR2 and 2001 320 SLK. I saw the "yuck" yellow s2000 at the Honda dealer. I liked the SLK best.

I may have to shop around a bit for the SLK. I have decided upon white for my SLK and an automatic tranny instead of the 6 speed. I have no problems with a manual but I thought more M-B buyers would prefer an auto when I trade in at a later date.

The SLK will make a nice addition to my '00 Silver E430 Sport. And, I will be using Zainio for extra UV protection on the SLK.

Has any one tinted their new E recently? I am thinking about biting the bullet and tinting my E430 despite the tight windows. My dealer said they will cover any possible window motor damage.
    Also, the tint shop will replace the window tint for scratches. Any thoughts?
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I installed them around mid-November 00 with surgical gloves and plenty of caring. The driver side bulb is out already. Returned them to Hella for replacement. Apparently Hella supplies cannot keep up with the returns. Back to original bulbs. Intensity is the same except for the slightly whitish bean of Xenon.
    Jean
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I too have a 2000 E430 and had the windows tinted when I first got the car last July. Within the first week of use I noticed the scratches on the inside of the windows. They aren't noticeable from the outside but are easily seen on the inside, especially when the light hits it right. It was initially very upsetting to me, but by now have gotten used to it and try to limit the use of opening the windows in order to minimize the scratching. Even in view of the frustration, it still looks real good from the outside. When it gets bad enough, I will have it replaced again.
    Wally
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    Tinted my windows on my 00 E320 last Sept.
    Everything that wniel has said applies to my situation too. Every single word.
    I also limit window usage and use my moonroof for air circulation if needed.
    According to MB, the tolerances are so tight that they recommend against it.
    If your window tinting shop will replace the tinting for free, by all means do it.
    It really does look very nice, especially with my black exterior.
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    Hi everyone. This is my first post although I read this thread all the time (its great). I have a 00 E430 sport package, integrated phone and nav. Car has 4500 miles on it. At 1000 miles car went completely dead. Sent loaner and battery replaced. Car ok till now with similar problem. Car completely dead in garage. Is this a serious problem or minor. Is car a lemon or are the complicated electronics too sensitive with possible drain on battery. Anyone else hear of similar problems? Am calling dealer in am (Today is Sunday) HAve been considering trade up to e55 but doubt will pull the trigger. Any comments welcomed.
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    Hello again. Just to add, I have windows tinted Black/black/black. Have already replaced tint on two due to scratch. Inevitable due to tight seal and rubber rather than felt.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    The light gray floor mats in my brilliant silver/ash "00 E320 also are getting stained, but they still clean up well. Had the car at the dealer several months ago to have mud flaps installed (great addition -- really keeps lower panels cleaner), and the service advisor said to come back just prior to one-year anniversary of purchase, in late April. They will detail the car FREE -- a $150 value -- as a blatant incentive (read "bribe") for high marks on my MBUSA rating of the dealer. Since I use Zaino and won't even let them wash the car, he instead offered a replacement set of black rubber floor mats. He said he has a java interior in his own car, and the dark mats soon blend in nicely. I put a set in my wife's old ivory/saddle 300D years ago and quickly got used to them.
    Good news on your decision to go with the SLK320 -- I've heard it's a great car. Suggest you try the Edmunds SLK forum -- lots of good info there. I understand they're scarce and will be interested to learn whether you'll have to pay MSRP. I agree about the auto tranny -- it's the best of all worlds, with the manual-touch feature -- I normally use it to downshift in my E320. Keep us posted on your efforts.
    Thanks everyone for the info. I will NOT be tinting my windows at this time. I prefer low maintainance that why I chose silver/ash in the first place.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    Not exactly the same problem you are having but with my wife's 96 Volvo, she would be driving and all of a sudden the engine would cut out and she's left to steer whatever momentum the car has into the side of the road. Went back to dealer a few times and no problems found. Finally after like 3rd time, the dealer said the "Mass Air Flow Sensor" was no good since it would all of a sudden stop air flowing into the air/fuel mixture. After they replaced it was fine, never a problem after. But with numerous electronics problems, we got rid of it after 48k miles before we have to cough up some $$$ for non-warranty repairs.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    I once read about someone with a similar problem. It turned out to be the CD changer. It just kept playing the CD until the battery went dead. I don't know if this is the problem with your car, but it's worth a look.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Oh man, very dissapointed about window tinting. I love tinted widows, and love they way they look. I did not get the rear shade because I was to tint the windows. NOw I really admire the BMW shades......WOuld I have made a different choice. Doubt it, perhaps I can just tint back window to kill some of the UV.

Im curious, the new c class has this interesting blue tint widows as an option. I suppose they don't put these tolerances on a c-class?? No window tinting on an S-class??? or is it a factory option?
  • carshopping4carshopping4 Member Posts: 7
    I've been reading posts here for a while & would like to thank all of you for great info.
    I was considering BMW5 series, Jag S 3.0, Lexus GS300 & Mercedes C & E.
    Bought a 2001 E320 this Saturday, in stock will pick up this week. It has E2, Heated Seats, CD Changer -- Silver/Charcoal. Got it for about the Edmunds TMV! I'm in Central NJ & found a great dealership & salesman.
    Will keep you updated after I pick it up!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You can buy the mesh shades for the rear windows for your E. I have the power rear sunshade, but the manual clip-on shades (custom fitted for the windows) for the E's rear doors. They do work quite well and can be removed for improved visibility at night.

The deeper tint for the C and (especially) the ML is made right in the windows themselves, so there's no film to scratch.

Here's the shade fitted in the new C-class:

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The S-class's HID Xenon lamps are far more controlled than the Acura 3.2TL's lights. Park an S-class (or even and E-class) next to an Acura TL and you'll see the difference immediately.

I believe the S-class uses a slightly different (little higher colour temperature) HID bulb and this gives more of a bluish, whitish appearance than the Acura's. Not only this, but the S-class has an autoleveling system that keeps the lights pointed towards the road even when going uphill. Notice that the MB Xenon headlamps option requires the headlamp washing package as well.

This is because dirt on the headlamp can redirect light and with the HID lights' (2-3 greater) intensity vs. halogen bulbs, it can cause glare to oncoming drivers. Note that headlamp washing systems are mandatory in Germany anyway. A good idea, if you ask me. North America should also have similar rules. However, with the manufacturers here skimping just to save 25 cents per vehicle, they'll probably whine about it so much that the something like this would never be passed.

The Acuras do not have either the auto leveling systems nor the headlamp washing systems. Obviously these are cost cutting measures which allow HIDs to be fitted to their lower priced vehicles.
    your wealth of info runs deep. Your simply amazing! You should have your own website and sell these products. Solving problems is a valuable commodity, and I hope you can profit from it. Yes I am a capitalist at heart.

I hate to ask you as not to abuse, but where can one find thise mercedes shades. Clairs??? or DrewLing.com Thanks again.

I also admire your patience, especially on the ML site, so much is redundant!
    Awww...shucks :-) I do what I do for fun and because I enjoy it. That's enough of an incentive ;-)

Yes, Clair parts or your MB dealer should have the "fine mesh sunshades". Clair probably doesn't have them on their website, so you may have to phone or e-mail them for info. Note that they are somewhat pricey (but inexpensive relative to the vehicle and comparable to tinting). Unfortunately, my accessory brochures do not have the part numbers or I would provide you with them.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Drew - Thanks for the info on the Xenons. It reinforced and validated my decision to include them when I purchased my E320 last April. They DO make a difference! BTW, I had read that other drivers had complained about the bright, white Xenons on those *|%#@*+# German cars shining into their eyes. It's comforting to know that the MB autoleveling system prevents this and that the culprits probably were Japanese cars WITHOUT the autoleveling. I'll never go back to halogens.

You'd also appreciate an article in the Washington Post today that mentions Canadians, and particularly those in Vancouver, as being extremely polite and disciplined drivers. What's your secret?

Paul
    Your getting alot of love today. But no bud lite's.

Thanks, I did look at precision, clairs, beverly hills and Airpress online before asking you to where these "fine mesh shades" could be had. I'll call Kevin at clairs. Your famous with clairs btw. You should get a cut. He told me some time ago their xenon ML light biz went up alot around the time it was highly discussed.

G'day
  • gonzaj2gonzaj2 Member Posts: 5
    valueguy, i read your post about your clock running slow. i had the same problem. there is a battery behind the intrument cluster.unfortunately the battery is part of the cluster and the dealer orders a new one,resets the odometer. i had this done 8 months agao on my e430 2000 w/sport pckg. no squeaks so far.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    Not sure about the Acura's but I know that all Xenon offered on Lexus models (ES, GS, LS, etc..) have dynamic auto leveling.
  • flexstar1flexstar1 Member Posts: 1
    Drew, I live in FL and need to buy subject product for my 01 E's rear window. Where can one purchase such product? I look forward to your reply. Thanks! Flexstar1
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I purchased the sunshades from Clairparts. they work well, but are an imperfect solution in my opinion; they don't always stay secure on the door mantle. Tinting is best, but cannot be done on E-class; the integrated shade, a la BMW is next best. But, given the overall happiness with the vehicle (2000 wagon, 7500 miles, this is a minor complaint.
  • chappye430w4chappye430w4 Member Posts: 4
    All I can say is WOW! I just picked up my 01 E430 4Matic yesterday. After 87 miles I can honestly say I am in love. It came with the Pirelli P7000s which handle great and didn't appear to produce any negative noise. I was quite surprised at how intuitive all of the controls were to include the Comand and Voice activated sytem. I was expecting the navigation system to be much more difficult to use. I took my parents out for dinner and used the nav system to get to and from the restaurant and it worked great. It brought us right to their doorstep on the way back, even when he took a wrong turn and went around the block, it recalculated and gave exact verbal directions and distances to correct the intended mistake. Yes, I let him drive home and he could not believe the ride and handling. He had been badgering me for months because he couldn't believe I would pay that much money and have to wait so long (9 months). Well, he told me last night "It was worth the wait!" and I would wholeheartedly agree. I made a phone call to the restaurant for a reservation using the voice activated system and they could not believe it. It really is quite impressive and is very easy to use. I can't say enough about the service I received as well. This is the primary reason I chose this dealer and Mercedes. I wish to thank Steve Sullivan @ Smith Motor Sales of Haverhill for a job well done...
  • prevostxlvprevostxlv Member Posts: 20
    I understand your issues. I took delivery of my 2001 in late September and have been excited ever since. I love the car and this winter I purchased a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Alpins and this car handles like a dream in all the bad weather we have had so far this year. When we got the 20+ inches of snow a couple of weeks back I ventured out to see if the car was worth the money -- IT IS!! I had everyone looking at me like I was nuts -- how can a MB go up and down these hills so nicely -- 4 matic. Good luck and much success with the car. Watch out for the potholes -- I lost a tire this past friday.... ouch does it hurt, my poor car.
  • leothelionleothelion Member Posts: 14
  • c123666c123666 Member Posts: 1
    My fiancee has a e320 wagon (2wd). We love the car except for the following:

a) we do not feel safe driving the car on less than dry roads as the rear can be quite a handful to control once it starts sliding. We should've purchased the AWD model. We are going to be trading the wagon in on either an Audi A6 Quattro or a ML320 soon;

b) The transmission started sticking in gear at about 30k; the dealer said it was some type of solenoid and corrected it under warranty. Well, the sticking is back. I just put a transmission in my 1987 300D; we will get rid of the wagon as I am simply tired of expensive German vehicles that cost a small fortune to fix. I have owned at least six different [non-permissible content removed] cars over the years; not ONE of them has ever broken down. Only the normal maintenance stuff has required attention on the [non-permissible content removed] cars. Maybe a Nissan Maxima with an upgraded suspension? It is not a german car but it is much cheaper to maintain and plenty of fun to drive!
    Sorry, but I misled you in Post # 760. The Edmunds Town Hall doesn't have much on the SLK. But try www.mbnz.org -- it's "The Mercedes Owners' Resource" with excellent posts re the SLK and the SLK320. Have you located one yet and, if so, have you bought? I'd be interested in the details.

Hope this helps.
  • kkopskkops Member Posts: 14
    Carshopping4,

Read your post regarding your satisfaction with dealership and salesman in Central N.J. and also close to TMV pricing. Could you please give me the person's name and dealership. I will be purchasing in next 2 weeks e430 awd and would like to have a pleasant buying experience.

Thank you,

Kevin
  • fish0327fish0327 Member Posts: 2
    Just bot a 2000 E320. VERY excited. Bummed that the rear & side windows aren't tinted more. Did get the power rear window shade(cool!) BUT, I live in the South. It's HOT & BRIGHT most of the time. Other than addt'l window insert-shades 1: can you? and 2: what brand, type, etc. additional window tinting has anyone out there had done? (i've read in earlier posts that the Eclass can't have more tinting done. is this true?)
  • fish0327fish0327 Member Posts: 2
    And another thing: currently have a Nokia phone. ATT One Rate Plan (which i'm very happy with). Don't want to change phone numbers/plans, but the Motorola for the 2000E320 won't take this plan. Guess it must be an analog phone for the 2000. Went ahead and bot the car, without a phone.
    Any suggestions? other than mounting a phone over there on the passengers side of the console(want to be able to use the speakers, dialpad and stearing whell controls aspects of the built-in phone system)
    the salesman is George Boscarino, Jr at Comtemporary Motor Cars, Little Silver NJ 732-842-5353. He's real low pressure & a nice guy. Tell him Nick Bonamassa referred you. Good Luck.
  • leothelionleothelion Member Posts: 14
    Your enthusiasm for the MB320E is catching...but, specifically, why did you choose the MB over the others you considered? Why is it superiour to the BMW5??

Thanks...Leothelion (who is still trying to decide between the MB320 & the BMW5)
    any comments on getting mud flaps for E320? do they really help? how do they look? do they have to be installed by mechanic?

any comments on front end protection from road debris (rocks, etc.)? does anyone have problems with chips, etc? if, so what have you used?
    Alot is personal preference. For me, the bmw 540 is a wonderful machine, but it has more repair issues, this is according to car and driver, whom loves the car. they love bmws over mercedes because of the sporty nature of the brand. Mercedes as they write, are rock solid, but they don't accentuate the safety and comfort aspecs as much as 0-60 and g-forces around curves. I have been taking the publication for 15 years. When they look at those numbers with priority, then cost of purchase, they get funny. Audi's are pretty, test nicely, and score well with them, but in real life they don't hold the value, don't crash as well, and don't have the warranty and lifetime assistance. These count and do cost extra. The bimmer for me was it's delicate nature, but thats how the derive the performance, and very important to ME, was small trunk and back seat. Thats why I am buying a sedan, because I need those things. Otherwise I be in a CLK430, or a 3 series coupe, a 330bmw is a wonderful machine, as is the m3. But the 5 is short on space. I also think the looks are boring. I got the 430 for the sporty ride and great acceleration. Good luck
    Side window mesh shades are not for cars equipped with head air bag. If the bag catches the roller, well lets just say it would not be pretty.

Rear shade about $80us. If anyone has a new tinting solution, I'd love to hear it. I could have rear done. I don't think I want streaky tinting on my car. I think limited use of the windows is not a viable option. These are cars and ment to be driven, not babyed.
  • tkurtz01tkurtz01 Member Posts: 6
    If you check with the dealer, they carry sunshades for the rear windows. Part # for a E-class MY 99-00 is b6 669 1224 for left and b6 669 1225 for right. Price is $128 per window. They also have for wagon,CLK and C class
    I chose the E320 over others because of the following:
    1) price. The BMW 525 is cheaper, but doesn't compare in terms of power. The BMW 530 compares in power but isn't much cheaper.
    2) dealers/service. In my area I can't find a BMW dealer I like and have had relatives and friends who do own BMWs and have them serviced locally complain a lot about the service they receive. I chose the MB dealer I went with on recommendations from others who get service there. You know, you buy the car once, from then on you have to deal with the service.

The other cars I considered were: Jag S 3.0 and Lexus GS300. I have my reservations about the reliability of the Jag as I know others who have had troubles, although they have older cars. The style of the Lexus did not really appeal to me.
    So once I got a deal on the MB320, that I was happy with, I decided to go for it!
    Kevin at Clairs sent me some follow up information about the shades. They are available for cars with head bags. They retail for$128, they sell them for 105 each side. Anyone know how the attach, any rattles, They any good?
    I had mud flaps installed on my '00 E320 several months ago because I was tired of the excess grime sprayed by the wheels onto the lower panels. The results have been very satisfying. The final cost, including labor, was over $200 at the dealer's. But I notice that they're now offered as a new car accessory for $80 or so, and I assume all four are included.

The flaps are black molded hard rubber or plastic. They fit beautifully, following the contour of the fender. They protrude outward enough to catch most of the wheel spray, and they hang below the fender around four inches or so. Actually, they're hardly noticeable. They're similar in looks to those found on Hondas and other Japanese cars.

I'm sure they're easy to install. I believe they're held on by a clip or something similar. I recall several months ago that several posts in this forum warned about backing up into a snowbank because the rear mud flaps came off and were left behind in the snow.

Hope this helps.
    This may be the wrong place to get an unbiased answer about why people choose an E320 over other cars. But, like most MB owners, I like the vault-like solidness and build of the Mercedes and the overall quality of the automobile. It drives and handles beautifully, providing feedback and "road feel" that most other cars do not. The 320 also has more than enough power, and the acceleration is better than just okay -- 0 to 60 in 7.1 seconds! The 8-cylinder E430 obviously has more get-up-and-go, especially when accelerating from 40 to 60 mph. But, again, the E320 with its V-6 is extremely satisfying to drive.

The BMW 3-Series is equally rewarding and fun to drive, but it's just too small. The 5-Series is not much larger, and IMHO even the 8-cylinder 540i is not equal to the Mercedes-Benz E320. Both BMW and MB are classified as luxury cars and provide the amenities expected in an expensive automobile. A few Japanese cars are probably in the same class (Lexus, Infinity, Acura) as is the Jaguar and Cadillac, but I prefer the MB (which also retains its resale value better than the rest).

Reliability might be an issue for some, especially when compared with some of the Japanese cars. But with the MB's four year, 50,000 mile warranty, plus an optional extended warranty, I'm comfortable. I've had my '00 E320 since last April, and after less than 5000 miles I've experienced only minor problems. I've owned several other Mercedes over more years in the past than I care to admit to, plus an Audi, Toyota Supra, Caddy ST and Mazda Millenia S (excellent car, BTW). And my wife still has a '77 Mercedes 300D with only 96,000 miles; it's in show room condition, is even more solid than my new E320, and the reliability has been excellent (new transmission around 70,000 miles was only major expense).

So, I have to admit to being completely biased. My E320 is by far the finest car I've ever owned, and I'll probably never own anything besides a Mercedes.
    Well, I have not decided on the SLK 320 yet. I am thinking about placing a deposit on a Lexus SC430. The Lexus has a 12 month wait and is not even out yet.

The SLK 320 sells for about $46,000 with Auto and no other options. The SC430 sells for $62,000 FULLY loaded (Nav., Xenon lights, Mark Levinson stereo, etc.). The Lexus has 300HP and more torque than the SLK. So unless M-B lowers the price of the SLK to around $40,000 with Auto I am going to buy the SC430. A fully loaded SLK is more than $50,000 and still does not compare to the SC430.

In a previous post you asked me about the E430 vs. the E-55. Most of my driving is local and I average about 150 miles per week. If I had to do it all over again I would purchase the E320 and replace the rims/tires with 17 inch wheels.
    The power of the E320 is more than sufficient.
    I enjoy the 275HP V-8 of my E430 but on most days
    the extra power is meaningless. On the other hand, I really enjoy looking at my M-B "Sport" rims and I think they add a great deal to the
    car's looks. While I am at it, I also want a wood steering wheel.
    I have to agree with your reasoning. I, too, think the SLK320 is overpriced, but it is a nice car, and it is a Mercedes. FWIW, though, a close friend had a 300D turbodiesel for years that he loved. He finally traded it in '97 or '98 for a used Lexus SC400 and said it was the finest car he's ever owned. Recently he traded for a year old very low mileage SC400 (420?) and said that the newer car is even better. BTW, have you seen the latest issue of Car and Driver? It's cover (and feature story) has the new Lexus SC430 convertible. Fabulous car.

This same friend, incidentally, bought a Lexus GS-300 for his wife last year. She liked it initially, but she's seen my E320 and loves it. She now she wants an E320. Different strokes . . .
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    Am I think only one thinking that the SC430 looks a lot like the SLK from the front?

While I'm not a big fan of either car, the SLK 32 will be an interesting car to test drive when it comes out.
  • mike1212mike1212 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice from this forum. I've just ordered a 2001 E430 4Matic with E1, E2, CD Changer and heated seats. No command. Aspen Green with the Oyster Interior. It's the same set-up as my old E320.

I traded in the E320 on an Audi allroad, which is a fine car and all, but I find myself missing the solid feel of the MB. I decided if I'm going to flip cars this quickly, I might as well upgrade the engine.

I'm looking for advice on any other options that you might feel strongly about - sun shade, contour seats, etc. Any of these something you can't live without now?

Unrelated to the above - I was in the showroom today and they had an E320 with a beautiful color of grey, it looked almost blue. The salesman said it looks kind of green in the sunlight. It's a $1,000 option this year, but should be standard next. It's quite pretty.
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    I can't imagine living without them. The adjustable lumbar support is nice and the seat really wraps around you, perfect for corning..
    Wouldn't the CLK430 be on par with the new Lexus convertable?? Not the slk320??

Other than hard top, they match up better in size.

I saw the car and driver pictures. Did not stir the soul.
    I agree the Lexus SC430 leaves something to be desired in terms of styling. As for comparing the CLK 430 with the SC430 I agree. However, the CLK 430 is more money comparably equipped and does not come with the metal foldable hard-top.
    Most buyers are going to compare the 2002 SC430 with the 2002 SL 500. For about $20,000 less you can own the SC430 compared to a NEW SL500. M-B may have to lower the price on the new SL500 to "compete" with Lexus!

I prefer a convertible with the security of a hard-top like the SLK. I like the styling of the
    SLK 320 and may yet buy this car. My dealer says I can get an AMG SLK 32 for $60,000 this Fall.
    Comments?

The reason I want your opinions is because my main daily car is a '00E430. I am looking for a "fun" car and not daily transportation. What do you all think of the Honda S2000 at $32,700? "E" drivers tend to be intelligent and educated so I would like to hear opinions.
  • spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    Hi folks. I've been considering trading in my trunk and getting a new vehicle. I've always loved Mercedes and have driven (for a few days)a 80's vintage E class years ago. I am especially interested in the E class wagon. However as much as I love them, I do not make an E class income so there is no way I can probably ever afford a new one.

So I've been thinking about the viability of a used E class. I see they only manufactured wagons though 95 and then began again in 98. A 98 or later is pretty much out of my price range so I am looking at the older models. While I have great faith in these cars I am wondering if I can afford the maintenance on them. Are the parts and maintenance costs extremely high on these cars? Are there particular trouble points to be concerned about when looking at them.Are there significant years along the E class's history where important upgrades occured?

Or am I better off giving up my Mercedes owning dream and just buying a new less expensive auto?

Thank you for your advice.
This discussion has been closed.