Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You're welcome! A short while after the switch to synthetic, you should notice a slight improvement in engine smothness and noise, and perhaps even a marginal (0.5-1 mpg) improvement in fuel economy. At least this was my experience after the switch.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    Drew,

I heard negative comments on Castrol Syntec. Some people (including Mobil) said they "falsely advertised' and that it isn't a true synthetic oil. I would definitely stick to Mobil 1 if they give me a choice. I asked my dealer yesterday and they said "Nope, that is new to me. We only use Kendall here." Kendall? No Thanks.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Amount does not include labor charge. Next time I will visit Walmart before the dealership. By the way the engine is noticeably smoother than before and the cabin noise level at highway speed is comparable to the GS-400 (this is a compliment).
    Jean
    Vinh, all MBUSA dealerships should be using ONLY MB approved synthetic oils by the middle of next week, so make sure that the oil that they're using is one of those on the list. Yes, if they have Mobil 1 (and they should) certainly go with it if it's what you want.

Jean, that sounds rather pricey for what you got then. No matter, it's a small premium to pay for the benefits. At least you'll know what to do the next time around. Go with the Mobil 1 15W50 at Walmart; FYI, Mobil 1 0W40 is not for the general public consumption, and hence only available at MB dealerships.

Here's something interesting. Mobil 1 specifies on their website that 15W50 is for "high tech imported cars". Guess all of the MB vehicles qualify! :-)

Drew
    Host
    Drew. Thanks for the info. I called my dealer and spoke with a different advisor and he told me that they ae using Kendall Synthetic oil for MY2000 and MY2001 vehicles only. He said I could request Mobil 1 at no additional costs. I asked him about if I wanted to have oil changed in between schedule service. His reply was "Well you would have to pay for it. We charge $9 a quart for Mobil 1 and you are looking at 5 quarts so I say about $70 for the service." 5 Quarts? Where did they get these guys from? Hello? It's 8.5 quarts. $9 a quarts, no thanks.
  • carshopping4carshopping4 Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the 2nd week of ownership of a Silver/Charcoal E320 w/ E2, Heated Seats & CD Changer. The car is fantastic!! I haven't had a Benz since 1997 (I owned a 1992 190E-2.6 new). Now I remember how great these automobiles are! I paid about 5% over invoice & took a 39-month lease -- After that I'll be ready for the new model E-class, which will have been out for a little over 1 year.

I have a couple of questions that I'm sure I can get answers to here:

- are the memory seats, mirrors, etc. stored by the key? I can't find that info in the manuals

- has anyone experienced installing the mud flaps themselves?

Thanks
    Congratulation for a great car.
    a) My 99 E320 has the memory feature on the 3 driver door buttons only. I think it is same for the 01 E.
    b) I am using mud guards since 14 months. These mud flaps are not bolted to the body, but attached with clips. Unless you are careful you may lose the rear ones when backing into snow banks or tire guards. You should be careful enough when when backing, otherwise you will find they are quite efficient.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Jean
  • 4186441864 Member Posts: 4
    I Have a 99' E320 4matic. I Live in Virginia. What viscosity of Mobile 1 should I be using?
  • vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Here's the site for Mobil 1 oil formulations and a brief description:

http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/engineoil/10w_30/index.html

I just put some 5W30 in my 01 430.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Suggest review of Drew's Post # 898. MB is going with at least 40 weight oil, so I would assume that either 5W40 or 15W50 would be fine for Virginia. I'm in Northern Virginia and will use one or the other when I have my first oil change at 5000 miles.

carshopping4 - I believe the memory for the driver's seat, headrest, outside mirrors, etc. is activated by first pressing the appropriate numbered button on the driver's door (1, 2 or 3) and then pressing the green button below the others. My '00 E320 has the same feature on the passenger's (right) door for the front passenger seat only. The key will not store the settings.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Re: questions on memory buttons;
    If you want to SAVE settings, you first push the green button and then whichever number you want to store the settings in.
    If you want to RECALL your settings after someone else has changed the settings, just push and HOLD the 1, 2, or 3 button, whichever you had set for yourself, until everything stops moving.
  • ahmadmahmadm Member Posts: 15
    I see the message from 'jures' (post# 900), in which he mentions that he changes oil every 5K miles. Any recommendations on this ... is changing oil more frequently beneficial? Some of my friends have suggested that the MB's FSS is possibly a high tech gimmick since they now cover regular service as part of the purchase. Before the FSS, MB used to advise oil change at every 5K. Any opinions?
    I recently changed the oil myself. At 5500 miles, I changed out a new filter and 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30. When the car is due for 1st schedule service, I will let the dealer do it. i will request Mobil 1 but who knows what brand they use. Then between schedule service I will change myself. I actually enjoy doing it. Get the radio on the garage and take my time and do it right.
    My service advisor at the MB dealer said an oil change every 3000 miles was unnecessary; he recommended every 5000 miles. The computer in my '00 E320 indicates the first service in another 9200 miles -- and I have about 4700 on the 9-month old car. So I'll have the first oil/filter change at 5000 and switch to Mobil 1 5W40.

BTW, several months ago someone posted a lengthy report on oil changes by Consumer Reports. It was based on testing the oil contamination/quality on several NY taxis and, if memory serves, there was no appreciable engine wear even after going 7000 miles of stop-and-go driving. So, perhaps the MB FSS is okay.

Drew, can you help here?
  • crobert2crobert2 Member Posts: 3
    I have E320 2000 and changed my own oil at the 5000 mile interval. Most of the dirving is
    highway. If one can judge by looks of the oil, I hate I went to the trouble. Also, the MB dealer
    recommended 10W30.
  • juresjures Member Posts: 42
    I installed the h7 optilux bulbs in in the headlights of my y2k e320 11/2/00, this morning the drivers side went out, called the dealer for warranty replacement, he stated he was not impressed in the new design on the optilux bulbs, that I should send them back to him and he would return my money. doesn't sound good for a long term optilux solution, I should have ordered xenons with the car. does anyone have a sucess story with long term use of optilux or some other brand, i really like the whiter look. thanks roger
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    I have installed these and they are great. They are not as blue as the Hella Optilux, but they do put out more light. There is no tint to them therefore allowing more light.

Here is a link to a website that did tests on them and several other bulbs. The VisionPluses were the best.

I purchased mine from http://www.suvlights.com

I installed mine around the same period and the passenger side failed few weeks later. I sent them back early January 01 for replacement and was told it will take 5-6 weeks. Apparently Hella new production can barely cover the warranty replacement for H7 55w. I do not understand the statement "he was not impressed in the new design". Does he mean that new production of Optilux is worst than last year? I spoke to him on Monday and he assured me that the new production is definetly more reliable.
    Jean
  • hq200hq200 Member Posts: 1
    I was on this board months back when we got our 00 e320 and enjoyed it. The only "problem" that has come up on this fine car is the continously smeared windshield during a rain storm. I've washed the glass, wipers, you name it to no avail. I seem to recall it was a common problem with this car; a case of an over engineered windshield wiper? In any event, I'd appreciate any info on helping to remedy this problem, thanks in advance.
    Mike
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I also agonized about waiting until the fall of 2002 for the 2003 E430, but ended up going ahead with a 2001 E430 4Matic. I ordered it in late September 2000. The scheduled delivery in January was missed, and now they are saying March. Whenever I have a recurring doubt about my decision I just visit the showroom. One look at the car and I'm sold again. Besides, it should be more reliable than the 2003, and I heard the 4Matics may not be available at the introduction.

The 2003 will apparently be "evolutionary". To see an artist's rendition of it, look no further than the Edmunds site! From the Edmunds home page, go to "Editorials", then "Future Telling", then choose Mercedes Benz. Voila, it's there!
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    I had not too pleasent experience in the snow with my C230 (MY 1997).( By chance E 320 4 Matic Wagon was sitting in the Garage). I have decided to move up from the C-class and have the following questions bugging me as I am wondering about the choices.

1) E 320 4-matic
    2) E 320 with standard ESP & Traction control etc.
    3) Audi A6 4.2 Quattro vs E320 / 430.

I need as much input as you wonderful folks can provide

1) How is the performance of E 320 with Traction control / ESP vs.4Matic. I have the 4matic and love it but have no experience with the non 4- Matic. Cost differential of $ 2850.
    2) Did some top level analysis between A6 4.2 and E 320 / 430. In short, equally equipped (Loaded) costs were as follows (MRSP).

A6 4.2 - 300HP V8 - $ 52,350(Quattro Included)
    E 320 4 Matic - $ 56,495
    E 430 4 Matic - $ 60,835

These prices assumed all available options (Moon roof, Bose,Heated Seats, Xenons, Rear window power shade,MatellicPaint, 6 CD Changer ..) except the command & built in Telephone.

Which one is the real deal?.

Your valuable input will be much appreciated. Don't want to make a mistake due to my ignorance. I have never owned an Audi but love the Mercs especially 4 Matic wagons.

Anticipating some lively discussions. Thanks in advance.
    As a result of numerous car wash/wax my windshield was polluted with many layers of wax/smear/etc.
    I spent countless hours (and $$$) trying all tricks and all available legal solvents. Here is the easiest and most efficient way to clean your windshield:
    1) Spray your windshield with a house cleaner such as Mr. Clean, Hertal, Fantastic....
    2) Wipe the windshield with "newspaper" (preferably auto section) or any disposable paper towel. I like newspapers because they never leave lints behind. Replace the paper immediately when wet. If you use a towel (or same wet paper) you will simply spread the oil/grease/wax from place to another but never remove them. Repeat the process "many times" until you see satisfactory results.
    3)Test your work by putting your wiper on automatic while spraying water on the windshield. If the smear if gone then wash the body around the windshield to remove all cleaner residu then jump to next step.
    4)Finish the work with a glass cleaner (Windex or simple ammonia)using newspaper. Next time it will be much easier. Never wax the car at the automatic car wash. Good luck.
    Jean
    My car was the only one at the college parking lot late tonight. No other car ventured in since afternoon because of the two inches of heavenly and slippery ice. You can access/leave the parking only through a 8 degrees narrow ramp. No car/truck dared in. The freezing rain was so abundant that salt/calcium/stone were useless. Streets were almost empty and for once I felt I own the city. I got in/out with no sweat. At times like this nothing in the world can get you satisfaction like the feeling for having made the right choice. I love my 99 4MATIC/ESP/TRC. Go for it man. And by the way if I ever need to buy the A6 I would go to the turbo model which is sportier while the 4.2 is more quite inside. I love the panel of both. Now I made it even more difficult.
    Jean
  • hjbornhjborn Member Posts: 20
    I also had a lot of problems at first with the windshield streaking. I think it must be the residue of the packing materials that are used on the car before it is shipped (or perhaps some contaminant that it picks up on the way). At any rate, the service manager at the dealership recommended rubbing the windshield with a cut lemon, and it worked! As someone on this forum pointed out, the active ingredient was probably the citric acid in the lemon. You have to work at it a little, spend maybe 10 minutes rubbing it on, but finally it comes clean. Have had no problems since then
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    We're planning to get a '96 E320 very soon. Any thought on its reliability and/or any problem with this model year, since it's the first year model of current E-class.

thanks
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Exactly! The W124 and W126 Mercedes-Benzes were the definition of Mercedes-Benz. They were probably the best built Mercedes cars ever. I personally still find it hard to resist buying a 1994 or 1995 model E just because, but I need a "new" car so I guess it will never be. The E500 in particular is probably my favorite Mercedes of all time, only the current SL and new CL coupes challenge that status. It's amazing how new 560SEL's look today, 10 years after the last one was built. I just don't think these newer Mercedes modes will last like those did.

M
  • hlsjr1hlsjr1 Member Posts: 3
    The other evening the station attendant overfilled my gas tank--a mess. Since then, the needle on the fuel gauge reads a full tank when the engine is on though by now it should be down at least a quarter. Does this mean that the sending unit in the fuel tank is cooked, or what?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I know some time back (on the old software) there were some threads about the 2000 E series having problems registering a full tank of gas. With mine the best I can do is 19.5 on the electronic display and the guage needle never gets quite to the full mark.

Was there a known fix for this? Is it the tank, the guage or a combination?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JR
  • dkruthdkruth Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2001 E320 and have a question about the alleged Smartkey option. I asked the sales rep at the dealer about it and he had no clue, the marketing brochure that they gave me indicated that it was a standard feature, specifically what I am interested in is the User recognition feature that is linked to the memory feature of the drivers seat, etc... I can find no mention of this in the owners manual. A friend of mine that bought a 2001 C claims that there is a menu selection to set it up via the interface on the steering wheel. I can find no such option. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Doug
  • dkruthdkruth Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to shift the case of alpha characters in the command center of my new E320?? For example if I save a phone book entry I can't figure out how to shift to a lower case character in the entry description. I've looked throught the user manuals and can't find reference to the issue.....

Thx
    Doug
  • mkincademkincade Member Posts: 1
    Until recently I have not considered purchasing an MB until a friend of mine raved about her e300td. I am now hooked on getting an e300, 320 or possible s320. My predicament, not a bad one to have, is I really like the size of the S, but we are planning a move in which I will do about a 1000m per week and the diesel appears to have merit in this area. Can anyone tell me about MB diesels and the e300td specifically? I cannot find anything beyond the marketing material and have never owned a diesel. I have heard, salesman who didn't have one on lot, of problems, MB stopped making after the 1999 model, but rumors are coming again. Appears they do not depreciate. What's up? Any good info references would be appreciated.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Love the leeeeemon idea.

Any thoughts to using a good glass wax to clean?
    Some of the better brands of car waxs have these.

What about cleaning the wiper itself? Household cleaner? Rub a lemon? Will it break down the rubber?

Audi: I considered waiting on a 4.2quattro. Alot of style and equip for the money. So is Bonneville and Cadilac deville. Build quality is paramount to me, and MB is still best. Sacrifice xenon and some other goodies, and get a 4matic if you have but so much to spend. If you need the goodies, then go with the audi. Read up on them, there are some problems. All of these cars have some, But............I made my decision.
    I have not had a problem with streaking wipers. What would cause this? Car wash? I take my car to an touch-less automatic carwash. Nothing touches the car. Robots moves to the contours of the car and I have been very happy with the results. very clean job. It washes under the car as well. Hot wax and everything but never had streaking wipers. This is where I go: http://www.erniescarwash.com
  • 4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    Fuel gauge - a common problem for all German cars, your dealer should have a fix for it.

Timeport names displayed - I can enter lower case names on the phone itself but they're always displayed capitalized on the dash.

SmartKey linked with seat memory - my technician told me it's only available on the C-class but I'll double check..
    Been also using a laser wash system. Not as fancy as ernies, but for $5, its a nice system. Brand new in fact. I don't use the wax as I have a duragloss finish on it. but once a week it keeps car from getting out of hand dirty. Also wash's undercarriage. Kids love it!
    Hey everyone,

Just to keep you all updated on the live MB chat idea. How does Tuesday, March 5th at 5-6pm Pacific sound? This will be our premiere chat, and it should be a weekly thing after that. All MB owners and enthusiasts (C-class, CL-class, CLK-class E-class, G-class, M-class, S-class, SLK-class, SL-class) are welcome to participate, of course.

Please let me know!

Drew
    Host
    I have been getting the top package. It costs me $10 per wash since I buy the certificates by the book. They put the Simoniz hot wax on it. I guess in the Spring I will have to Dawn my car again and start over the Zaino process. But it's definitely the only way to keep the salt off the car and keep the car clean in this freezing weather.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Does anybody has any information on 2002 model of E430 and S430?

Is it true that they might be dropping S430 totally and sell S500 at S430 price as Infiniti's new Q45 has 340 hp engine?

I also read on MotorTrend's website(update) that Mercedes will be introducing new E in 2002 rather than in 2003 as it says here on Edmunds FutureTelling section.

Thanks for all of you sharing your knowledge.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    My dealer told me they would be discounting their 01 Es by $5k starting in June so that they could get rid of them before the new model arrives. If the new E were coming for 02 this would make sense, but it sure wouldn't if they weren't coming until 03 would it? Does anyone have any more info on this?
    The new model will only arrive for MY2003, or in other words, late fall of 2002. The wagon version will arrive approximately one year later.

Drew
    Host
    That's what I had always heard too, It's weird that my dealer has started telling potential customers about the upcoming discount, I wonder if maybe MB is going lower the price of the 02 Es, that could explain the upcoming discount? The discount came up in a conversation I was having with my saleman about the future MB models, he new we had just bought a C, I'm sure if we were seriously considering an E he would have never told me! I am a big E model fan, but it does seem a bit high priced compared to the bimmer 5 series and that new LS430 seems like a nice car(Benz clone) and the upcoming 340hp Q45.
    INtro of o3 model in fall of 02. Thats about 18 months. Then the cars start comming over. Figure 2 years till rollout fully underway. Figure 4matic months later. Never know, maybe they just start with 6cly. Then a year or so later the present engines will be old and we'll talk about waiting for them. THen we'll want to see how they do because nobody wants the first problematic version. So the best E class to buy is the ones they make now, then again in 4 years. Then we'll talk about the new nose and interior upgrades for the o7's, but of course by then Daewoo will be the standard of the earth and we'll be buying them!
    No, they will arrive in N.America in late fall of 2002. The new E will first be launched in the spring or summer of 2002 in Europe, as always (same with the new C). 4-matic vehicles should be available right from the get-go, I would think, or perhaps a couple of months delay. The company has been developing and testing the 3rd generation 4-matic system for quite a while now. It will also be available on the C-class and S-class in the late fall of 2002. The '03 CLK-class is also supposed to be available with the 4-matic option. Looks like MB is trying to compete with Audi in this particular area (AWD/4WD). About time! I just wish that it was available THIS fall, and not next fall.

The E320 is not that much more expensive than the BMW 5-series. At least not from my experience. An E320 4-matic sedan can be had for about CDN$68K+, excluding taxes and any possible discounts, and the 4-matic wagon can be had for about CDN$70K. If you look at the features list, the BMW lacks things like available TeleAid, rear side impact airbags (optional for the Bimmers), etc.

Drew
    Host
    I'm not saying the E isn't a great car or that it's overly priced. I'd take the E over a 5 series anyday of the week. It's just that when a 525 bases at 35,400 and a 530 at 39,400, the E320 at 47,800 seems high. When you compare a C class to the 3 series there isn't nearly the difference, in fact when you option up a 3 to the Cs level I think the Cs cheaper and still has more features. I've never optioned out a 530 to the level of an E320s standard features, but I'm sure they'd be fairly comparable, and the 5 still wouldn't have the Tele-aid nor all the bags. It's just that when the average joe looks on the internet it will appear the Es a lot more. What do you think of my dealer saying their 01 Es will start to have $5k discounts in June. Do you think there could be a price drop for 02. You've got to admit that LS430 will get a lot of consideration from potential E buyers. The new Q with it's high HP will be nice, but I just don't think Infinite nor Acura really competes with MB the way Lexus does. How is Lexus perceived up in Canada? What about in Europe? Maybe I should ask tarik.
  • mrowe2mrowe2 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered an E430 4matic last september. It was special ordered because of the color. I was originally told to expect delivery in Dec, but after a lot of foot dragging, I'm now told it will be mid june. Is this delay typical for MB special orders? Given June delivery, an I better off just waiting for the 2002 models?
    I believe the last MB E-Class diesel produced for North America was the '99 because that engine wouldn't fit under the new lower hoodline of facelifted '00 Es AND the new MB diesel didn't meet US anti-polution standards. Thus, the late model MB diesels sell at a premium.

I haven't heard anything except good reports on the diesels. MB has always been a leader in producing diesels for passenger cars, and they still sell well elsewhere. I've heard that MB has given up on diesels for our market. Too bad.

Incidentally, my wife has a '77 300D with 96,000 miles -- it's considered to be "almost broken in"!
    It runs great and is in perfect condition. Only major expense was a new tranmission about 10 years ago. If you can find an E-Class diesel wagon in good shape, go for it!
    Help! If memory serves, there was a discussion here a while ago about steering wheel noises. I noticed a groan sort of sound today when I turned the wheel of my '00 E320 (4700 miles on it). Would appreciate any info!
    According to my calendar March 5th, 2001, is a Monday. Do you wish to see us there Monday 5th or Tuesday 6th, 2001.?
    Jean
    Yes, it's the March the 6th, Tuesday at 5-6pm Pacific time. Sorry, someone (who shall remain nameless) gave me the wrong date. :-) I'll post a confirmation as we get closer to the date. I hope that everyone that has the time to participate will. As mentioned earlier, it's a general MB chat (all models) for all MB fans and owners.

Drew
    Host
    I run into the same long delay problem when I ordered my 4MATIC with the ESP option (it was optional for 98). Therefore I shifted my subscription to the 99 model due in September 99 (14 months after order). It was worth the wait because I got an improved radio, better warranty and future higher resale value for the same price. The 2002 model will be the most optimized for this E. It will be worth the additional wait.
    Jean
This discussion has been closed.