Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• f6bikerf6biker Member Posts: 33
    FYI to those interested I put in the Honda CD player this week. Sounds great too. Install went really well except for the body clips surrounding the center panel. 2 of them broke while pulling off the panel. Cost .16 cents each and popped right on.

Works really well in conjunction with the radio. 1 hour install max time. Mail ordered from hondapartscheap post above for 254 delivered.
  • mtxmanmtxman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 92-95 civic ex 2 dr, 94-97 accord ex 4dr or 92-96 prelude with vtec. if you are in WA near seattle and are selling one email me mtxman@pioneernet.net
  • billyspeedbillyspeed Member Posts: 9
    they fix the radio problems.

My new EX has 1100 miles on it. Must say I'm not real happy with the car. The radio problem, as mentioned above, is very annoying. Have had to reset 5 times. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED. Also, since the anti-theft system runs through the radio, you will NEVER be able to upgrade or buy an after market system without losing the keyless alarm system. Great thinking Honda! Honda says it will have a fix in the new year. I'll believe it when I see it. Other problems: Driver side seat belt retractor is weak and slow. Definite lag or delay in auto transmission taking hold when you punch the engine in the low range. My first Honda after years of Toyotas. Very disappointed. (Repost from Maintenance Problems)
  • seanzseanz Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I wonder whether now is the good time to buy the 2001 civic LX since it is the end of year, or I should wait after the new year? What should I expect to pay for CD player installed?

Thanks for your help. It's gonna be my first new car, really want to do it right. :-)

Sean
  • cwopetecwopete Member Posts: 22
    I just purchased a 2001 EX and I've noticed an odd rattling noise around the dash area... or it could be from the sunroof, hard to tell. Also, seems that the EX engine makes alot of noise; the dealer says it's the injectors and the noise is a normal "Honda engine noise". They can't seem to locate the source of the rattle. Has anyone noticed anything like this on their 2001 EX?
  • pigloverpiglover Member Posts: 25
    I was surprised to see that air conditioning is available on the Civic DX as a dealer-installed item. Does anyone know if it is as good as the factory-installed AC on the LX and EX models?
    Just make sure, when you buy the DX that they DO NOT use the same radio or keyless entry system in the EX. As many earlier posts point out (including mine), there is a very bad bug in the system that remains unfixed, with no fix in sight. I must say, given my experience with the 2001 EX, in only 1,100 miles, I would NOT buy the car again. Have also seen some posts on the net re: the rattle in the sunroof (not the dash). All in all, for a new Honda, with their supposed reputation, the car is a big disappointment.
    I paid 14,800 for my 01 LX here in Florida and I read that as close to invoice. I did not hesitate to buy it now. I also considered the current news about energy prices out west and record snow and cold creating oil demand etc. If gas goes up the demand for this type of car will go up too ... who can predict the future anyway.

I paid 254 delivered for the CD player and installed it in an hour. It was really easy to do it too. I would not think twice about doing it yourself or paying anyone handy to do it for you. I bet that I could install one in 15 minutes now that I have experience.

good luck with your car ...
  • gruszgrusz Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Honda Civic EX in October because my husband had a 1997 (traded it in for a 2001 Accord EX) and it was a nice car.

I am having the same problems as billyspeed and cwopete. When I picked up the car I popped the hood and couldn't close it (they fixed it), there is a rattling coming from the dash that is driving me crazy so I have to keep the radio on, and I have had to reset my radio at least six times because it keeps going back to code.

Also, I got 31 mpg on my first two tanks of gas. However, I live in Chicago and there has been a lot of snow and the last two tanks have given me about 23 mpg.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Regarding msg 104: Is Honda still routing the remote entry and dome light through the stereo? This is the most bone headed idea I have ever come across. When I first got my 97 Civic, I installed a Pioneer cassette player (I pulled out the factory Radio) and spent the following week trying to determine why my dome light had stopped working. After a lot of searching under the dash for what I had thought was a loose wire, I connected the factory radio back up and, what do you know, back came the dome light, which by the way, provides less light than a candle. I then ordered the crappy factory cassette player (which works with existing factory radio) and installed it into the idiotic position behind the cupholders.

Regarding msg 107: I had A/C installed by the dealer in my Civic HX and it has been the best A/C I have ever experienced despite being the newer type of refrigerant. No problems after 80,000 mi. The equipment was the same as what was installed at the factory. (probably is still the case).
  • isp062368isp062368 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 ex coupe and it seems to be hesitating upon acceleration. I wasnt sure if it is my car or if anyone else has had this problem. Also gas mileage is horrible. I have been getting 26 on the streets and the braking seems to be slow. I am really not very happy with the car. anyone else having any of these problems?
  • svenjsvenj Member Posts: 19
    I have the 2001 LX sedan automatic. I don't have any problems at all and have been averaging about 36 MPG. I know the radios are screwed up in the EX models, but I haven't heard anything like what you are talking about.
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    Did you buy your Honda CD Player from partscheap.com? If so, I assume you got a single disc player and not the in dash changer. Did the unit come with installation instructions? I tried removing that tray where it is installed by tugging on it and it seemed impossible to remove. Did you check dealer pricing on this CD player as well? Thanks for your help.
    I got the single DC player from a post on the board from
    http://www.honda-accessories.com
    for 246.41 including shipping with instructions. Here is how you install it. Dealer wanted $400.

1) Pull out the bottom panel/storage compartment that is below the DC player opening. It has the 12V outlet in it.
    2) Remove the 2 bolts at the top of this opening that anchor the main panel and radio with heating controls.
    3)Push the main panel with radio out a few inches (hard push) and disconnect the the wiring plugs, about 6 of them (30 seconds).
    4)Take the main panel with radio to a table and install the DC player, this requires 4 screws and 1 plug. (5 in).
    5)Put the main panel I/radio and DC back in connecting all plugs.
    All of the wiring plugs are different so you cant screw it up.

If you need any more info let me know.
    Just got notified today by the dealer that Honda will fix the EX radio problem. They have ordered a new radio for me. Should be in shortly. If you have a 2001 EX make sure you notify the dealer and get the new radio while you can. I would do it even if my radio had not "gone to code" as you never know when this bug might materialize.
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    I ordered the player. Great savings! I was gonna go Aftermarket CD player until I saw your post.

Instructions look good. I will post If I run into problems.
  • jjsnowyjjsnowy Member Posts: 9
    I had some trouble with our new 01 Civic X. The squeaky noise turned out too be a strut that had to be lubricated. At first the dealer tried to tell be there wasn't any noise. Then we went on a ride and the noise appeared.
    The gas gauge isn't acturate either. The dealers explanation is that the 01's are super sensitive to inclines therefore the gauge is not always registering properly. These two problem seem to be straightened out now. We do love the car. For those who have the squeak check out the struts.
  • carguy000carguy000 Member Posts: 55
    I'm going to UNC-Chapel Hill next year and will be getting a car for graduation. I'm trying to decide between a new Civic or a well-maintained used Accord. Which one has more power and is more sporty? I've driven both, but I cannot really make up my mind. I do know that the Accord has more room, but I think the Civic will have enough room for me. The accord seemed to rev easier, but it may be that it's just broken in, whereas the Civic is still pretty much not broken in. The Civic's steering seemed to be looser around curves. Have you guys noticed this, too? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, and I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
    Called the service rep today, my 2001 EX is going in for a new radio tomorrow! That's one of three problems eliminated so far (on a car with less than 1500 miles on it). I find this very discouraging, why this brand new car rattles and squeaks, and has an unacceptable level of engine noise (fuel injectors?) is beyond me. I guess we were so excited over the rave reviews on the 2001 Civic EX that we overlooked the poor assembly and quality of the vehicle. It's sad that our second car, a 1996 Plymouth Neon with 54K miles on it runs quieter and doesn't rattle like the Honda. So the old rule of never buying a first production year vehicle still holds true...the redesigned 2001 Civic EX has been a disappointment.
    Wow! So many people disappointed with things about this car. I just want to say that mine is A)Quiet as a mouse. At a light we have thought that it is stalled. B) Tight and squeak free. Have not had a single complaint about this stuff. Really like the steering and the control while driving over railroad tracks. C)Plenty of power. Pulls out quick and runs on the highway. D)Great fuel economy. 32 MPG average for me and I drive aggressive. E)Radio on the LX works great. Sorry you EX folks.

Anyway, thought I would register as one happy owner. Hope you guys with problems get them worked out.
  • jacsterjacster Member Posts: 1
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I bought a 2001 Civic EX Coupe automatic last week. Already has over 700 miles on it. The only problem was fixed in five mins by the dealer. The passenger side window switch was sticking...at first I thought I had an "auto down" window over there too. The shop just lubed it...seems to be fine now. What is wrong with the EX radio? Mine is fine. I LOVE the in glass antenna! The blue/beige combo that I have is nice I think. The silver coupe was nice too, but the beige interior is pretty classy for an economy car.

As far as engine noise....every Honda I have driven has made noise when you "floor it"...can't hear a thing when it is idling. The power is fine for a 1.7 liter engine.....the car is roomy, and thanks to the "downgraded, less expensive front suspension, it steers and corners MUCH flatter than my 97 HX coupe did. The HX did cruise smoother though....
    Got my new radio today. Now, maybe, I can enjoy the car. My advice to ANYONE who has an EX is to swap radios now, whether it has "gone to code" or not. Honda admits there is a bug in the software. All of them have it. It is only a matter of time. Get a new radio while you can.
    f6biker, I guess the difference is in the model...your LX doesn't have the sunroof, does it? Because that's the primary source of the rattling noise. The other squeaks and rattles occur whenever I go over any sort of bump in the road. Most of that noise seems to resonate from behind the gauge cluster in the dash. The engine noise is very perplexing. I agree with the dealer that it's the fuel injectors, but why they make so much noise, I don't know. Otherwise the car seems to be put together fairly well. We'll get our new radio hopefully today. It's just disappointing when our 96 Neon doesn't make a rattle or squeak, even when going over the occasional undetected pothole.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Folks,

I know that people are disappointed by the somewhat poor handling of the 2001 Civic sedans compared to the 2000 model.

Question: does anyone know if any aftermarket company has produced a new shock/spring/swaybar combination that will improve the handling of the 2001 Civic without unduly affecting ride quality?
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    I don't know an aftermarket company that has made an improved '01 Civic suspension system. But I do know a beforemarket solution: '01 Protege ES or Sentra SE.
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    I'm averaging 9.4L/100km (25 US-MPG) on my 2001 Acura EL (same engine as Civic EX sedan). So is this normal? I know it's been cold lately and we've been getting a lot of snow. I'm doing 100% city driving.

Also, I've been using my heated seats and mirror a lot so that may be draining the gas.

Jonavin
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Guys, Don't fool urselves, The 2001 Civic handles BETTER than the 2000 & it is no surprise. It has too with more quick & precise steering which is now variable assist like Accord which make it to track MUCH better in straight line at higher speeds & makes it easy to park in tight places.

NOW I am writting this the LAST TIME:
    The change in suspension to struts is NOT a cost saving solution. It is obvious that they won't spend billions to prepare all-new suspension when one with bones war ready(tried & true). The change was for two main reasons:
    1)To change engine's position to create better crash-worthyness & 2)Make more interior room by allowing slightly Cab-Forward design
    3)Flat-Floor by making rear suspension to intrude less in the trunk AND to allow relocate the exhaust. It takes HIGHLY precision & superlative enggineering to make such changes that too for a car which is in ECONO category !!

As u can see it has improved Carsh scores: All around Very good(5 star) for coupe & 5 & 4 for the sedan.

So don't let anti-Honda or pro-toyota/nissan people fool u around with this by saying it was cost saving etc etc. it is NOT at all COST Saving....rather it was atleast multi million dallar effort on th epart of Honda to develop an all-new suspension.

Why there was SO MUCH effort to increas engine-power. clealiness(ULEV), Gas Mileage(increased), Increased Space with smaller experior dimension.
    Quick Steering with variable assist, MUCH better carshworthyness. It takes efforts of a life time to come up with such a product. Honda has done it again !!
  • spiekarespiekare Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 LX in September and enjoy most of the car (mileage, handling etc), but the drivers seat is a disaster. Where the flat part you sit on meets the sides, there are 2 ridges that feel almost like metal strips (there are not). When you first sit in it, everything seems OK, but after a few days, you cannot sit in it for more than 15-20 minutes before the hard ridge starts digging into the legs, not just discomfort, but real pain. I am fairly average size, and others who have sat in it have the same problem.

Took it back to the dealer and at first they would do nothing, but eventually replaced the cushion, but the problem remained and was even worse. Called the Honda Amercia Customer Relations office in Gaithersburg Maryland. It should be called Customer non-relations as the rep there did not reply for days until I called again and said that it was "characteristic", there was nothing they could do, and even though the seat caused pain, it was my problem because I should have discovered it in test drive (anyone ever get a 3 day test drive from a dealer?).

One salesman even suggested that I should trade it in and I would not lose too much. Anyone know how to get Honda to fix this?
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Guys, Don't fool urselves, The 2001 Civic handles BETTER than the 2000 & it is no surprise. It has too with more quick & precise steering which is now variable assist like Accord which make it to track MUCH better in straight line at higher speeds & makes it easy to park in tight places.

NOW I am writting this the LAST TIME:
    The change in suspension to struts is NOT a cost saving solution. It is obvious that they won't spend billions to prepare all-new suspension when one with bones war ready(tried & true). The change was for two main reasons:
    1)To change engine's position to create better crash-worthyness & 2)Make more interior room by allowing slightly Cab-Forward design
    3)Flat-Floor by making rear suspension to intrude less in the trunk AND to allow relocate the exhaust. It takes HIGHLY precision & superlative enggineering to make such changes that too for a car which is in ECONO category !!

As u can see it has improved Carsh scores: All around Very good(5 star) for coupe & 5 & 4 for the sedan.

So don't let anti-Honda or pro-toyota/nissan people fool u around with this by saying it was cost saving etc etc. it is NOT at all COST Saving....rather it was atleast multi million dallar effort on th epart of Honda to develop an all-new suspension.

Why there was SO MUCH effort to increas engine-power. clealiness(ULEV), Gas Mileage(increased), Increased Space with smaller experior dimension.
    Quick Steering with variable assist, MUCH better carshworthyness. It takes efforts of a life time to come up with such a product. Honda has done it again !!
    You will have to pay for it if you go this route but it will solve your problem for a small price. Go to an auto upholstery shop and they will remove the existing seat covers (thats all that they are) and add padding or whatever else you need to fix the problem.

I ride a motorcyle and the topic of seats comes up on our board all of the time. No two people seem to feel the same way about the same seat. Good luck.
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I have a 2000 VP. I have been resisting the temptation to add a cassette just because paying over $100 for only a cassette seemed silly and all I want is a line input to the audio so that I can connect a walk man or a mp3 player, etc if I wanted. (the installed CD/radio doesn't have one. Gee, thanks, Honda.)
    Is there any way I can do this without throwing out the CD player
    already installed? I know this might sound silly, but this is my last stop before I buy the darn cassette player...

Thanks,
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    " I know this might sound silly, but this is my last stop before I buy the darn cassette player..."

If you are looking at getting the cassette so that you can use one of those adapters to connect to a portable player it might be worth looking into a "Soundfeeder" adapter. It rebroadcasts the signal.
    http://www.arkon.com/sf.html

Not sure how the car one sounds but I actually use the other model at home so that I can listen to the same thing no matter what room I'm in. It reaches all over the house even into the garage.

-Trevor
    www.honda-accessories.com
  • playhausplayhaus Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 2001 Civic LX Sedan about a month ago in the Washington, DC, area (for $200 above Edmund's invoice).

It had 35 miles on it when I picked it up and I've filled it up about three times (now has ~750 miles on it). Mileage on my first tank was abysmal (about 18 mpg), then it was around 25 mpg on the second an third tanks, with no real improvement.

Is this normal? I drive about 50/50 hwy/city. I bought this car for the mileage, so I'll be disappointed if this is the best the car gets on gas for me. If it's true that new engines take a while to get better mileage, how long will it take to get to the 30/38 mpg I understood this car would get?

I'm happy w/ the car in practically every other way (small design annoyances)...

- playhaus
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply, hondaaccessory.

I forgot to mentioned that I tried that one.
    For some reason, I found myself consistently having to adjust the outgoing frequency.
    I guess I might be just unlucky, if yours works for you.
    Also, it didn't sound great, although I usually connect a crappy walkmans, so I really
    cannot tell..

Again, thanks for the help.

Chulwoo
  • trany2000trany2000 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any suggestions on this one? I replaced 3 bulbs on the rear running/brake lights on a 1990 Civic. The brake lights work fine, but the running lights wont work once I start the engine. They work fine with the engine off. If I have the parking brake on the lights do work when I start the engine. As soon as I take the parking brake off (and as soon as the parking brake light on the dash goes out) the running lights shut off. At the same time I hear a noise like a relay click underneath the glove compartment. Now, if I put the park brake on again, no noise and lights don't come on -- I have to turn the engine off to get the running lights to come on again. Another thing, I have heard relay clicking noises under the glove box some time ago when I was driving. Any one else have the same problem or suggestion?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Doesn't matter. The excerpt could've been from a drama and your point (that I was being derisive even though I said I wasn't) still would've made it across.
  • svenjsvenj Member Posts: 19
    I have the exact same car, though mine is an automatic.

My first tank got me 34 MPG, the next 38 MPG. I average about 36 MPG with about 70% hwy, 30% city driving. It seems like you should be getting at least 30 MPG by now; unless you drive like Dale Earnhardt around the beltway.

I'd try one more tank then have the dealer look into it for you.

Without the Redskins in the playoffs I am going to have to root for Baltimore now.
  • fitz6fitz6 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought 2001 ex 5sp. Will pickup in a few days. Went through carsdirect so far no problem.
    Would like some feedback regarding an alarm. I am thinking of installing the Honda system, however I am not that confident in the civics system. A friend just installed one in his accord and the system for the accord seems superior to what Honda offers for the civics. My question is while the civics alarm would give a seamless installation would it be a better idea to install an aftermarket alarm? Any suggestions would be helpful
  • newcivicownernewcivicowner Member Posts: 1
    Are any other new civic owners experiencing mechanical problems? I just bought my new 2001 Honda Civic EX automatic 4-door in Oct. 2000, and now in Jan. 2001 there are major repairs being needed! Apparently my cam cap bearings are wearing improperly and I need a new cylinder head. What the heck! I though Honda's were invincible! Please post a message if there are others of you 2001 owners already needing MAJOR repairs. I'm thinking I might have a lemon.
    I also had a "sticky" passenger side window, my radio clears out occasionally - by the way, are dealers fixing that yet? My dealer said they have not yet been given instructions on how to fix the problem. And I am positive I hear a slight noise when I'm accelerating and turning left at the same time! I also have gotten HORRIBLE gas millage - I've already got 6,000 miles on the car. Recently, one tank only got 27 miles to the gallon - and it was ALL hwy.
    BUT, the clincher was when I was getting on the highway, I punched the gas and I heard a click - then I was UNABLE TO ACCELERATE!!!!! When I pressed on the gas, the rpms would go up, but there was no acceleration and the check engine light came on. The dealer said it was something with dirt interfering with the sensor - they said they fixed it and sent me home, but the same thing happened a few days later. Now they have the car, but are saying they need to replace the cylinder head. Now doesn't it seem the two are not related?
    I know there might be a few quarks with a new car - but this seems RIDICULOUS!!!
    newcivicowner, you're not alone, I've got a 2001 EX 5 spd sitting in my driveway with only 1,000 miles on it. I've got the radio problem which the dealer is dragging their feet on fixing. I've got all kinds of interior noises and rattles. And I've got an engine that makes way too much clicking noises to be "normal Honda noise" like the dealer tells me.

Seems my problems pale in comparison to yours. If I were you I'd be contacting Honda directly and raising a big stink about your problems. Check out www.lemonaidcars.com if you need tips on how to proceed. Also check out the Honda Civic Problems section in the townhall forum.

Honda "had" a great reputation for quality and service but they seemed to have lost it with the redesigned 2001 Civic. You know it's really sad when I'm happier driving my commuter car, a 96 Neon, than I am driving my new Civic. At least the Neon doesn't rattle and make weird noises, and the radio works too!
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    I've got an '01 EX 5-sp Sedan in Eternal Blue. I absolutely love the car. But I've had my share of niggling problems also. My dash rattles on the passenger side, my stereo has coded twice, the sunroof squeaks when you open it, and the right tire will only hold about 15 psi of air. The reason I'm not too upset is because the car is still extremely well made, IMO. Has anyone in here ever ridden around in a Neon? Let me tell ya, it's not half as solid as the Civic.

As for gas mileage—I can't help you DX & LX owners, but I can offer some advice for EX owners: remember that the EX engine has the VTEC system. Or, actually, the VTEC-E system now. The old Civic EX had the regular VTEC system which was a bit more generous with the power on the economy cycle. But the new -E system, which was previously reserved for the HX (and the VX hatchback before that) is stingier and therefore not as strong at low RPMs. That, more than anything, is probably why they added that extra torque to the bottom end of the '01s. In any event, if you stand on the gas long and hard, up to what I think is between 4 and 5000 rpm when the VTEC changes its timing, then your gas mileage will go out the window. If you have a stick, do your best to shift early and often. For instance, if I'm on flat ground I'll be in 5th gear, even if I'm doing only 30 or 35 mph. It's really helping, too. I'm getting 31 or 32 in almost all city driving, and my car's barely broken in (1300 miles). Even in snow and slush I was getting 30. On the highway, more like 35. People with automatics- don't floor it if you can help it.

Has a recall or TSB been issued on the radio yet, or are dealers individually reprogramming or replacing the radios?
    Interesting.....when is mine going to do it? Had my 01 Civic EX Coupe automatic for over 1000 miles and about three weeks. My car was mfgr'ed in November. When was everyone else's made, that is having the problems? My car seems fine.....Maybe they were having assembly line issues in the very beginning??
  • scottintxscottintx Member Posts: 10
    My dealer offered me an Civic EX (Sedan) 5 speed for $16180 plus tax and TTL. No other charges. What do you all think?
  • cheapownercheapowner Member Posts: 47
    Is it true that Civic oil change interval is now 10000 miles or 12 months?
  • roadrunner90roadrunner90 Member Posts: 3
    I've contacted three different honda dealers asking when I should change my oil the first time for my 2001 Civic EX. the manual says 5000(severe conditions) the dealers told me three different ones- 3500, 3750, and 7500. Guess they don't know anything either. I bought a Honda b/c of their supposed reliability. So far it sucks and so does their service. If anyone knows the correct answer to when to change the oil, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm doing it at 5000
    my dealer said they don't want to see my car until at LEAST 6500 miles for the first oil change. then they said every 5k miles (city driving here) after that.
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    I called my dealer today to ask about the radio fix...they said it would be about another 2 weeks until we heard something from Honda. AS for maintainence, I'm sticking to 5000 for oil changes, but only oil changes. Basically, I'm going to follow the 10,000 mile schedule with oil changes every 5000 miles.
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Anyone know of any low APR deals for the '01 Civic's? Thought I heard someone say Feb or March. I can't find that post now. Thank you.
  • jstatjstat Member Posts: 1
    The distributor and ignitor on my '93 Civic needs to be replaced (according to the dealer). I have read that these parts are covered by a "silent recall". Anybody have any info/experinece on this?

BTW, this is the first real problem I have had with this car since I bought it.

Jay