Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Guys/Gals:

I don't really care what test results NHTSA or IIHS published for any cars. I am not going to sell my 6 months old 02 Civic EX for any of the test results. Also, I am not going to lose any sleep for Subaru or Toyota or any other imports/domestic test results. This is a Honda Civic board.

Thanks,

bjk
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Someone traded their 6 month old 02 Civic EX for an 02 Elantra GT due to quality issues (rattles, etc.). I think that's the first time I have heard of someone trading to a Korean car from such a new Japanese car, let alone the "great" Civic. Hmm...their experience mirrors exactly the complaints Car and Driver had with the car.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That is a total shock to me as well.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    bjk- I know this is a Civic board. It's just that I made a comment about the Civic being at the top in terms of crash tests, and someone else made it a point to correct/disprove me. I just wanted to counter that with the new NHTSA results, which was not available at the time of the discussion. That was all.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I don't feel we need to apologize for a thread on crash tests involving the Civic. Those who don't care for that kind of discussion can skip over those posts, start a new thread about something else regarding the Civic, go for a ride in their Civics, etc.
  • Options
    That's suicide, backy. This is the only thread where people actually like me (I think)...I just can't risk that.
  • Options
    When I said "thread" I meant a chain of posts on one topic, in one board. A "board" is, for example, Honda Civic Sedans. So I wasn't talking about starting a whole new board (although there is probably already one or more boards dedicated to crash tests). Is that less suicidal? :0
  • Options
    Less dangerous, but still too risky nonetheless. I'd rather be caught paying full price for an 03 Accord.
  • Options
    berkelyblueberkelyblue Member Posts: 9
    so about to get a 1999 with 47,000 miles on it, it's a steal, can't tell ya how much though, cause u'll all wanna know how I got it..... anyway just wanted to know from u knowledgable folks, if the 1999 is a good year for the Civic, I guess they are like wine, there are good years and bad years. Is the 1999 6th gen? and are there any known problems with the 199?
  • Options
    I have a 99 LX auto. No problems (neither major nor minor) for the last 3 years.

The only thing you want to do is change the tires (if they're the original Michelins that came with the Civic). After getting a flat tire 2 times, I decided to just switch the front tires to all season Goodyears. The car brakes and rides noticeably better.
  • Options
    jumillerjumiller Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I just bought a 2002 civic ex, automatic sedan, for $15,000. was that a decent price or was I shafted?
  • Options
    jumiller:

It's a decent price. enjoy it.

bjk
  • Options
    That was a fair price. You done good. On top of that, I hope you took advantage of the great interest rates that Honda is currently offering.
  • Options
    buster27buster27 Member Posts: 28
    If you bought a NEW 2002 Civic and not a used one for that price, you made out like a bandit.
    If it is used or a DEMO, you paid a little too much.
    Either way, enjoy. It's a nice little car.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I bought a 02 civic lx 2 coupe two month ago and got taken for a ride i paid about the same 16,200 out of the door 02 a/t rear wind,mud flaps.
    been to the dealer 3 times with center air vents that wont stay put they were shifting as I drove and a rattleling in the front, they replaced the vents they work now and the rattleling twice with the same dealer talk "we did find some broken bushing and were replaced" yea in the way out of the dealer the rattler was still there now, I am taking it again next week for the third time. Next will be reporting it to the Honda and the Florida lemon law. Let's see what happen today I made the second payment.:(
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • Options
    You can't take that car back on the Lemon Law. The problems are purely appearance and don't affect the resale value or performance of the car. No way.
  • Options
    Well the car have this rattle in the front suspension they (dealer) claim they fixed a broken part twice and still have the same problem so, if they are lying or if they are not why it keep breaking? It is a value and safety concern. Right now, the cars upper struts mount nuts and the area around it are scrashed what would that tell you about a car that it is two month old today. They got a good check that cleared thru all to the last penny.
  • Options
    mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Hello, I just bought a 2003 Civic 4dr LX Auto. I paid 16,300 out the door (this included GAP insurance).

1- Did I do good?

2- Has anyone else noticed that when you turn up the dash lights with the lights on and it is fully up, once you turn off the car and leave it off for a while and turn it back on, the lights will default to the lower setting?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'll never understand...a person buys a new car, feels good about the deal but then caomes here and asks that question. Why ??

Some will tell you you did good and others will tell you that you paid too much.

Who cares? You now have the car...ENJOY IT !
  • Options
    kcirredkcirred Member Posts: 10
    When you switch to defrost mode, the A/C will automatically turn on. Does anyone know how to disable this silly feature?
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed that when you turn up the dash lights with the lights on and it is fully up, once you turn off the car and leave it off for a while, and turn it back on, the lights will default to the lower setting?
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Firstly, it's not a "silly feature" - it's integral to taking moisture out of the air in defrosting situations, and makes the whole process go much faster. Just set the temp the way you want it, and the AC compressor does its bit to get the moisture out of the car.

Secondly, why do you want to turn it off? Whenever it's cold enough and wet enough to use the defroster, we always want the compressor running - why not?
  • Options
    Window foggy is due to car's inside warm air meets the cold outside temp at windshield and form condensation or cold outside air meet the warm inside temperature. There are two ways to get rid of frost on the windshield either with hot or cold method. Car's rear windowde froster is using hot method with heating element to heat the rear window to get rid of condensation. While front windshield is different most of the cars designed with cold method, When front defrost is turned on, A/C will blow cold air to the inside of the windshield. Especially during the cold weather, driver will keep inside temperature warmer than outside, if front window defrost (A/C) doesn't blow cold air on the windshield, it will fog up too fast.
  • Options
    seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    It's not the AC's cold air that defrosts the windows. It's the AC's compressor that defrots it. The compressor sucks moisture to work, and the byproduct of that process is the cold air. So you could set the heater all the way up in the winter and turn on the AC and you'd still defrost the windows.

On the other hand I wish there was a way to keep the AC off when I turn on defrost. Sometimes the fog isn't so bad that I want to suffer acceleration in a car.
  • Options
    >>> On the other hand I wish there was a way to keep the AC off when I turn on defrost. Sometimes the fog isn't so bad that I want to suffer acceleration in a car. <<<

Why not just touch the A/C button to turn off the compressor after you switch the HVAC system to defrost mode? That's what I do (on my Elantra) in cold weather. My hand is already near the button so it's not a big deal.
  • Options
    Compressor never sucks the moisture out of thin air. If a compressor can suck any moisture then it must have a open loop compressor to physically suck air in then you will have water in and mix with your compressor line. Since car's A/C and compressor system and its refrignant HFC R-134A is a close loop system it never actually SUCKS the moisture out of the air. It compress its refrigenant and when refrignant reaches heat exchanger it will expand during that process it takes heat out of the air and make it cool, then fan will blow the cool air inside the car. During the heat exchange process moisture will form condensation on the exchanger.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    To clear things up, (no pun intended) air conditioning systems cool the air. When the air is humid, the AC will cool the air to below its dew point, at which time moisture will condense on the AC evaporator coils and is directed to the ground. The cool dry air can then be reheated using the cars heater coil operating on waste engine heat and blown on the windshield. This is the "best air" you can get to dry the moisture or defrost from your windshield.

If your car is not warmed up, then cold air blows on the windshield, which can sometimes cause condensation on the outside of the windshield in very humid outside conditions(the old dewpoint again effect again!) This you can use your wipers on. Unless your car is warmed up, you may not get effective defrost, so you should wait until it warms up. Better have a clear window than an accident trying to peer thru fogged or frosted windshields.

Most new cars temporarily cut off the AC compressor when you accelerate hard, so you will still have performance when needed.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Most systems that automatically turn on the AC in defrost mode won't let you manually shut it off with the AC switch. My 00 Accent didn't let me. I could push out the switch but the AC light stayed lit. Are you sure the AC shuts off with the switch in your Elantra?
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I can switch off the A/C in my Elantra once "defrost" is selected. But I leave it on to do its job.
  • Options
    Yes, I am sure.
  • Options
    This was posted some time ago i have tried yet on my crv and my 02 civic lx and it works fine.

For those who do not know it, the a/c in the CR-V ans civic always comes on when the defrost is on. This we know will clear the moisture, but you can't turn off the A/C. To deactivate the automatic a/c feature on the 2002 CR-V/02 civic.
    1) Turn vehicle off.
    2) Turn fan knob off.
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
    4) Turn vent knob to panel only setting (next to a/c max).
    5) Hold down both the air re circulation button and a/c button while starting the car.
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until the air re circulation button stops flashing.
    Now the a/c button can be turned on or off.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature on 2002 CR-V
    1) Turn vehicle off.
    2) Turn fan knob off.
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
    4) Turn vent knob all the way to the right (defrost position)
    5) Hold down both the air re circulation button and a/c button while starting the car.
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until the air re circulation button stops flashing.
    v/r
    fig.
  • Options
    firephoenix777firephoenix777 Member Posts: 59
    really glad you posted that a/c trick. it worked on my 2001 ex. i hated it when it automatically turn on the a/c during defrost.
  • Options
    MY QUESTION HAS BEEN IGNORED....CAN ANYONE WITH A
    2003 CIVIC LX RESPOND?

Has anyone else noticed that when you turn up the dash lights, with the lights on and it is fully up, once you turn off the car and leave it off for a while and turn it back on, the lights will default to the lower setting?
  • Options
    The lights shouldn't move, they never have in any other car that I have driven, except for one with a short in the dimmer switch.

And maybe you should think about changing your screen name...
  • Options
    I own a 02 civic lx a/t and 02 CR-V and neither of the cars I have experienced that but, I think it will bother me if I have to reset the light all the time.
  • Options
    kcirredkcirred Member Posts: 10
    I tried it and worked! I still don't like it turning on automatically but at least I can turn it off now.

Mazdaprofour, it doesn't do that in my civic (actually an acura 1.7el).
  • Options
    YOU ARE BEING IGNORED BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!

I've never seen this either. If you think you have a problem, take it to the dealer instead of making multiple postings in different forums and then yelling because you didn't get answered!
  • Options
    Let me explain this better. you have to have a 2003 to understand. On the 2003 civic LX 4drs. The dash lights are operated by the same switch as you check the trip meter with. This knob can be turned up at anytime. The issue is that when you turn the dash lights to the maximum setting and the head lights are on, it will only stay in that setting till you turn the car off and next time it will default back to the lower setting. You will have to be driving a 2003 to know what I am taking about. In the older civics, the lights had a seperate manual knob on the side. In the 2003's the knob is digital in that when you turn the lights up, the milage reader will show little bars indicating the settings and will beep once the maximum setting is reached. I would appreciate anyone whom has a 2003 trying this and telling me if it defaults also. Thanks
  • Options
    I'll try to remember to try this when I'm at work tomorrow. I'll have a few 2003 LX Civics to pick from!
  • Options
    Thank you. I am not sure how long it will have to be off before it defaults back to the lower setting with the headlights on.
  • Options
    communipawcommunipaw Member Posts: 19
    I have a 1993 Civic DX sedan automatic with which I've been very content, except for the air conditioning The a/c has been barely adequate in the Wash DC summers and I've been told repeatedly - and believe - that there is nothing wrong with the system but that it was the state of the Civic's ac. [In the DX model the ac was a dealer installed option].
    I'd like to buy a 2003 Civic or a left over 2002 one but the thought of poor air conditioning in the summer for another 10 years bothers me.

Is the air conditioning in 2002 and 2003 automatic Civics good? Especially interested in hearing responses from those in New Orleans, Houston and Miami and other hot sticky climates.
  • Options
    I test drove a 1999 black Civic DX coupe back then, and it was about 95 degrees that day. I drove the car for 15 minutes, city and highway. I got out of the car literally sick to my stomach. The car never cooled off the entire time I drove it. I haven't tested a 2001/02/03 under the same conditions, so I don't know.
  • Options
    jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    There were quite some discussions on this topic in this board some months back. There was no unanimous agreement, though quite some people had the same complain. The last 6 cars I own are 3 Toyota and 3 Honda, including a 2001 Civic LX Auto. It's very obvious that Toyota is doing a better job in AC department. But I must admit that Honda is making progress. I think the AC in the current Civic is OK under 90-100F Calif sun. I think the ride quality is far more a problem in this Civic.
  • Options
    I'm not too concerned about the A/C at this point. But the heat in my Civic doesn't work any faster...
  • Options
    texbeantexbean Member Posts: 38
    I live in Dallas and bought a 2002 Civic EX last April. I had no issues with the A/C during the hot Texas summer (although this last summer was not a real bad one there were lots of days in the high 90's). The only thing I would advise is to use the recirc button with the A/C at all times. Doing that, the car cooled down fairly quickly, certainly before I got home (which is only a 10 minute drive). Getting the windows tinted always helps the efficiency of the A/C. I am very satisfied with the A/C in my Civic, and I am pretty intolerant of heat.

Hope this helps.

Tex
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I can comment on the A/C in a 2001 Civic EX (DARK Eternal Blue, with tinted windows). We usually have about 90 days here over 100 degrees in the summer, (although with typically low humidity of around 10-20%) and I can compare a 2000 Camry to a 2001 Civic. The Camry seems much better equipped to deal with the hot temps, but to be fair, the Civic is quite a dark color. The Camry is white. Overall, on a hot day, with both cars sitting in the sun, they both feel just as hot when I get in, but without quetion, the Camry cools faster....I am able to turn fan speed down to low much faster. The Civic seems to deal with it, especially if recirc is used, just takes a little longer. Certainly better than the 96 Mazda Protege I had (also white) where it would take an entire trip (20 min, or so), and not feel cool inside.

Also, the best way to cool off a hot car is too first open the back windows a few inches, with the A/C in "outside" air position on high speed. Drive a few blocks to get the super heated air out of the car, then switch to recirc. and close the windows. I hope this has helped.
  • Options
    youngnwiseyoungnwise Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am going to buy my first car in a couple of months and I want to get a '92 Honda Civic EX. Is this a good choice? I have read reviews and I am relatively satisifed with the ones that I have had the opportunity to read, however, I feel a more personal approach might assist me further. Are there any major problems or concerns that I should have? Thank you for your time and input.
  • Options
    The '92 EX is a great car, maybe my favorite generation for the Civic. Your main problem will be finding a 10 or 11 year old car that isn't trashed. For this old of a car, an inspection by a mechanic you trust is a must, I believe. Be sure to check not only mechanical components but the body and underbody for signs of rust; the engine may run forever, but rust can eat a car in well under 10 years. Ask about any parts that were replaced since the car was new. Check the maintenance records, if they exist. Check for body and unibody damage. Sources like Edmunds.com and Consumer Reports have tips on how to evaluate a used car if you need help on what to look for.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I just got a new Civic. I traded in a Neon. The new Civic is smooth, quiet and fast; I took it on a 750 mile roundtrip the weekend I got it. Gas mileage seems pretty good.

Any tips or advice? I am going to go for dealer oil changes at their fast lube every 3,300 miles (so every third lube matches the 10K maintenance cycle) and substitute the parts counter 5-20 Honda brand oil (made by Exxon-Mobil to Honda spec, which is supposed to be slightly different than the API spec) for the lube express Quaker State 5-20 oil. I plan on changing the air and cabin air filters myself at 15,000 mile intervals to maintain top performance, but otherwise only give it to the dealers service department at the 20,000 and 30,000 mile services during the warranty period (those are the services that are more than an oil change, in the "factory recommended," "regular driving" section of the owner's manual). Thereafter, at 30,000 mile intervals, with a brake fluid change at 3 years and coolant change at 60,000 miles (instead of the longer interval Honda recommends).

Please let me have your thoughts and recommendations.
  • Options
    What year Neon did you have and what made you get rid of it?

Also, congrats on the Civic. :)