Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I fully understand that and do that. In my town, if you keep too much distance in front of you in rush-hour traffic, someone else will slip in. Maybe drivers in your town are not as agressive.
  • kgowardkgoward Member Posts: 10
    Hi All: Just purchased a 2000 Civic LX with 33k miles. Are there any issues that I should be aware of? We plan on using the car as a daily commuter for about 120 miles a day. I look forward to the great gas mileage and the reliablity of the car. Our test drive really impressed me with the quality of the build and this car was used.
    Any input from the forum would be great!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    New to the board. Any word on when the 05s will be here and what, if any changes there will be? Side curtain air bags? Thanks.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    THe 05 Civic will probably hit lots in a few weeks. With a redesign right around the corner no major changes are expected. There will be a new SE trim for the sedan and coupe but that's all I am aware of.

kgoward: Congrats on the car. I'm sure it will be great for your needs. Your gas mileage should be great.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Appreciate the info. So 06 is the year for the redesign?
    Yes, following the typical Honda 5-year pattern. Logically that's when Honda will add the standard ABS and side air bags/curtains that they have promised for almost all models by '06. I hope the redesign is for '06 MY because I'll be buying my next car in the fall of '06 and would like the new Civic to be one of my options.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    First of all, never take your car to someone to see. If you get a request like that it's a sure thing you're dealing with a flake. sounds like you already found that out.

I've sold a lot of my cars privately and I've never had a problem. I tell them everything I know about the car, strong and weak points if any.

I make VERY sure they know the car is being sold strictly AS-IS. I even have them sign a form that states that.

Still, there are risks involved. The transmission could fail in three months and you could wind up in small claims court. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Do not take a check. Insist on green cash or if you have to, a certified check.

Also, try to screen out the flakes that call...you'll know who they are. If you feel uneasy, tell them you have a deposit on it or something.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I fully understand that and do that. In my town, if you keep too much distance in front of you in rush-hour traffic, someone else will slip in. Maybe drivers in your town are not as agressive.

I drive from CT to NJ, so you can imagine the people do dart infront of me, but I usually drive in the right lane in traffic, and trucks, which are almost all manual, make it flow smoothly. Truckers don't want to be shifting gears either, so they keep pace. If you keep a distance of 0.75 cars between you and the car infront, most people with common sence will not try to take the spot, but it gives you enough coushion to not to clutch. And even if someone jumps into your lane, they are not going anywahere fast, and they usualy jump in the right lane to get off anyway. I don't claim to have a scientific approach to this, but for some reason, people think that they can get somewhere faster by constantly shifting lanes, the fact remains, that they are still not going anywhere. By sitting in one lane and simply cruising rather than speeding up and stopping, you save your self a few neurons, and have an easier, smoother commute.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If more people just drove smoothly during rush hour it would move much faster for everybody. All the jumping forward and stopping is what causes traffic to get bad.

I drove a clutch in rush hour, and the clutch was not the problem, it was the traffic!
  • drfosterdrfoster Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2004 Honda Civic LX Coupe. When I took delivery, much to my surprise, the dealer said the LX Coupes (i.e., 2 door LX models) no longer come with the remote keyless entry. Only the 4 door models do.

Can anybody confirm this with their recent purchase? It's not that I don't trust my dealer, but, ...

Also, when I took delivery, the car's floor mats were missing. The dealer ordered new ones which should be here next week. Question: Is the standard equipment on an LX Coupe front floormats only or both front AND rear floormats? (I'lll leave it to your imagination as to why I'm asking :)
    Is the center console one a 2004 Civic LX Coupe supposed to have a latch? According to the owner's manual, it does. My new 04 doesn't. Should it? Should I even care?
    Look at the car's window sticker, which by law needed to be on the car when you took delivery. It will indicate whether the car has or does not have remote locking as a feature. Honda's web site has been updated for the '05 models, and it shows remote locking as a standard feature on the '05 LX Coupe.

Anytime a car I bought came with floormats, both front and rear mats were included. I can't imagine the Civic would be any different.
    Great idea about the window sticker!!!

Sure enough, I checked and the keyless remotes are there. I went back to the dealer and showed it to him. He said something along the lines of "they were a mid-year change." He was used to delivering LX's w/o them. He took my car through the service center and 5 minutes later brought it back with 2 remotes coded to it.

As far as the floor mats, I talked to the parts person and asked about the mats that were ordered. He said they come in a set of four (2 - front and 2 - back.) Although the salesman said only front, I should be getting all four. I have to wait and see for sure until next week when they come in.
    Sounds like you have either an absent minded salesman, or he does not know what he sells, which is very often the case with sales people.

I wonder how many people he sent away without remotes and floor mats.

Did you get all 3 keys? or only one?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Honda updated website for Civic from 04 to 05 FYI.
  • dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    If they are standard equipment, dont they come with the car from the factory?
    Do you know how frequently people lose or break remotes? Do you know how much dealers charge for new remotes? Are you getting a hint as to why this particular dealer "forgot" that the LX coupe includes two remotes? :-]
    As of today, I now have 4 remotes! Two the dealer gave me after my showing them the window sticker and two I found in the coin holder to the left of the steering wheel. It was a week after I picked up the car that I even opened it and there they were!

I took the two I found in the car and was going to give them back to the dealer. The dealer told me to keep them for my trouble. If I should loose or break one, I've got a spare that I'll simply have to get tied to my car (only two can be tied to a car at a time.)

Also, as of today, I have floor mats!!! Turns out there are three, 2 for the front and 1 for the back that spans both sides.
    Great! And if you want a little extra cash, you could sell one of the extra remotes on eBay.
    Seems like you have a VERY forgetful salesperson. I hope he nor someone else get in trouble for the booboo. The sales person is supposed to show you all the features of the car, including the remotes.

I sold my CR-V remotes on ebay for like $20 each, plus shipping, after I installed remote starter and alarm. Apparantley some of the remotes, CR-V in particular, work with Honda Motorcycles. Just make sure you list the FCC and model number when posting.
    Floor mats can go on ebay as well, if the dealer does not want them.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Remembering what comes standard and what does not.

2004 was the first year remotes were standard on Civics so if that salesperson had been selling Civics for years, they could simply forget I suppose.

Still, the fact you questioned him should have jogged his memory or caused him to ask someone with better product knowledge.
    I guess it is also hard to remember for the sales rep to simply check the window sticker to verify whether or not a car has remote locking--or ask someone else as you suggested.

Some Civics did have remote locking standard before 2004, right?
    Civic EX's have had keyless since 1996.
  • mthexumamthexuma Member Posts: 43
    I have a brand new 2004 Civic EX seden automatic with 3300 miles on that I got in the middle of July. The fuel economy is nothing like in the sticker. I have never gotten above 30 miles to the gallon when the sticker read 31 city and 38 highway.
    I average 27-28 mpg and this week I only got 24.91! I am not even using a/c since august! I don't understand why Honda is falling short in fuel economy on the new vehicles.
    Hondas typically see better gas mileage as the engine fully breaks in. How long is your commute?
    What kind of driving do you do? Lots of city traffic, stop and go, short trips? Are you easy on the gas pedal or like to rev it up? Have you checked the inflation in the tires--sometimes they are not set correctly by the dealer.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I am also breaking in a 2004 Civic. The first tank was 35 mpg. (lots of up and down revs,AC blasting,etc) The second tank was 38 mpg. T/P is at 35 F /35 R on a tire with max tire pressure of 51 psi. I am looking forward to better mileage once the engine breaks in fully.

Every car has its sweet spot for different goals: such as mpg, handling, etc.
  • dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    I get 30 if i do mostly city driving. 38 if mostly highway driving. So i am guessing you get bad numbers if you drive really fast on the highway or if you floor it a lot. i drove about 100 miles several days ago going 80-90 mph and it used up 1/3 of the tank, which is much more than usual.
    I am still getting only upper 20's in fuel economy. It is really frustrating because i'm all highway mileage. My commute is like 17 miles each way. I go about 75-80mph with highway traffic and that is when it sucks it up the most. I really think a V-6 would get better highway mileage. If you are considering a civic, get it for city usage. It doesn't like going highway speeds without sucking up the gas.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I think your concerns rate a trip to the shop for a warranty check. Something is wrong.

Or pardon me for saying this, but you might be flogging the vehicle. I tend to believe what you say, but truly I have nothing to reference your real driving behavior against.

The reason I am thinking something is wrong because I "easily" get 35-38 mpg and I am "flogging it" within the parameters of the break in procedure.
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    I have a 04 Civic LX Sdn, Auto and get a consistent 37mpg highway with cruise set @ 73mph and A/C on. Travel is 300 miles a day, when I go.
  • nine51nine51 Member Posts: 77
    04 Civic EX coupe, 5 speed.
    Normal driving, the car spends most of it's life at 70 mph on my daily commute.

Just short of 13000 miles now, overall gas mileage is 38.03 mpg. I noticed the mileage steadily increase during break in and seemed to level off at around 3500 miles at approximately 37.8 mpg. Switched to Mobil 1, 0W20 at 10,000 and mileage went from 37.8 to 38.03 overall. Not much change. More likely due to less A.C. use. The car definitely feels more lively now at 13K than it did at 3K. I may be pushing it over 70 more often too. I was pretty easy with it during break in.

I'm wondering how much influence the Vtec has on mileage. It kicks in at around 3000 RPM (65mph in the EX). I've had several trips in the low 40's (mpg) when I was driving on rural roads under 65 mph. When I push it over 70, mileage drops to the mid 30s.
  • dkcivicdkcivic Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2004 Civic EX with automatic transmission. Car has about 250 miles on it now. At first fill (the dealer supposedly filled the car before I bought it - the gauge read full when I picked it up) of about 5 gallons, I got about 24 mpg (mix highway and city). How many miles should it take for the car to reach its EPA estimates (31 city, 38 highway)? Also, any idea if its better to run the car to close to empty before filling, in case they put something into the tank before it leaves the factory to preserve the life of the gas?
  • warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    I have an '04 Civic LX 5-Speed with about 9,000 miles on it now. My first tank, I got 35 MPG. Subsequent tanks after that first tank have yielded as high as 40 MPG. The first couple thousand miles I was driving it pretty easy though. Lately, I've been driving it like I WANT to drive a car - taking off quickly, driving 80 MPH on the highway when possible; basically driving it like I want to. To date, I have NEVER gotten LESS than 35 MPG average from a tank of gas. I don't know if maybe the EX's don't do as well as the LX's, or maybe the 5 speed helps a lot, but I can say I'm NOT taking it easy on the car and I have yet to get less than 35 MPG average. That's what I've experienced.

Warner
    That is what I'm saying. Anyone else in here have a 2004 EX automatic civic sedan? That is what I'm having trouble with. I haven't gotten over 30 mpg ever and I have 3600 miles on it. I'm about 85 percent highway when driving. At least I'm not the only one.
    Just filled up a second time and got 28.5 mpg on the second 1/2 tank fill. I'll fill again sometime next week and see if it keeps improving. I drive about 60 percent freeway. dkcivic
    At first fill (the dealer supposedly filled the car before I bought it - the gauge read full when I picked it up) of about 5 gallons, I got about 24 mpg (mix highway and city).

If you go back a few posts, you will find a more accurate way of figuring out your MPG's. Your first mistake is that you went to fill up whwn you only needed 5 gallons.
    Fill up at a gas station until the first auto shut off, DO NOT TOP OFF! Reset the trip odometer to "0". Drive as you usually do. Wait until the tank is very close to empty (when "low gas" light is on). Go back to the same station, same pump, same time of day and perferrably same weather. Fill up until the first auto shut off, DO NOT TOP OFF!. Note the mileage and amount of gas needed. Reset the odometer and repeat the procedure 5-10 times. Average the 10, and you will get the most accurate MPG's.

Also, any idea if its better to run the car to close to empty before filling, in case they put something into the tank before it leaves the factory to preserve the life of the gas?

Dealer puts the gas in your car. It comes with very little gas from factory.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The LX does much better than the EX because of the taller gearing.
  • j9bakej9bake Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a demo 2004 EX automatic in August with 5,000 miles. I now have 9,000. Have always gotten between 35 and 40mpg. Depends on what kind of driving. Love the car!
    Just filled my new EX w/automatic up a third time (ran the car nearly empty this time, and it now has 600 miles) and got almost 32mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. There clearly is a break-in period during which the mileage improves.
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    Sometimes there is and sometimes there is not. I own two Honda's and they both have gotten the same mileage since day one. Close to EPA for both a 2001 Accord LX 4 cyl/auto 23/30 EPA (my actual 22/28 with 48,000 miles of driving) & 2004 Civic LX auto 29/38 (my actual 29/36 with 6,500 miles). I drive around 78 MPH on the interstate and I usually accelerate faster than most.
  • max9max9 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2004 Civic LX (auto)

I found that the driver side of this vehicle is 1cm lower than the passager side.

Is that normal?

Does anyone have the same issue?

Thanks
    max9
    How did you find out? What exactly are you looking at and measuring?
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    DO NOT run the fuel low in the tank. Fuel is used to cool / lubricate the electric fuel pump.(assuming that the 2004 Civic has the pump in the tank). Drive the vehicle for at least 3,000 miles before you start checking the fuel mileage. Give the engine time to "break in"!
    You can run the car safely without any fear of damaging anything at least until your low fuel light starts to stay on. The light will come on when between 2-4 gallons are left in the tank. The only way you could possibly damage anything is to run until your engine stalls. Although, it is a good idea to think about filling up when you get below a quarter of a tank. Sometimes there are contaminates in fuel and running the tank almost dry, risks something getting into your motor.

Also, I doubt your gas mileage will improve much as you put on miles. I would be very surprised if you see more than 1 or 2 MPG improvement from day one through 100,000 miles. Both my Hondas have gotten the same mileage from day one, which has been slightly under EPA estimates. Cars are machined better than ever and break in just isn't as big a factor as it used to be. Drive it easy for the first few hundred miles like your owner's manual states. Then drive it the way you plan on driving it the rest of its life.
  • apastor2bapastor2b Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2003 Civic EX Sedan - automatic - for over a year and a half. During that time I have normally averaged between 30-34 MPG driving back and forth to work. I just took an 800+ mile round trip drive and averaged 40 MPG going 70MPH for most of the ride. The gas mileage is great now only if it were a litter faster... ;-)
    Let's look at some interesting facts about fuel systems.

Inside the fuel tank of most vehicles is a sending unit that includes a pick-up tube, and a float operated fuel gauge. The fuel tank pick-up tube is connected to the fuel pump by the fuel line. Some electric fuel pumps are conbined with the sending unit. (I don't know if this is true about Honda)! The pick-up tube extends nearly, but not completely, all the way to the bottom of the tank, so that rust, dirt, sediment, and water cannot be drawn up into the fuel tank filter, which can cause some nasty issues.
         Vehicles equipped with EFI engines usually have electric fuel pumps mounted in the fuel tank. Some EFI engines have an in-tank electric pump, and a second electric fuel pump mounted under the vehicle.
         Electric fuel pumps offer some important advantages. Because electric fuel pumps maintain a constant fuel pressure, they aid in starting and reduce vapor lock problems.
         It is NOT a good idea to run a fuel tank low with an EFI vehicle that is equipped with an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank. The electric fuel pump in the fuel tank contains a small direct current electric motor with an impeller mounted on the end of the motor shaft. The main reasons for the fuel pump being located in the fuel tank are: ----1.) To keep the fuel pump cool while it is operating, ----2.) To keep the entire fuel line pressurized to prevent premature fuel evaporation.
         If the fuel level is allowed to become low, the liquid, (gasoline), will move in the tank, and it is possible that there will not be sufficient fuel, (liquid), around the body of the electric pump to keep it cool. In addition, the movement of the fuel will also move the sediment and water at the bottom of the tank.
        Fuel injectors spray a certain amount of fuel into the intake system. If the fuel pressure is low, (due to a problem with the electric fuel pump), not enough fuel will be sprayed into the individual cylinders. The engine will run, but on a lean mixture. Over time this can cause major engine damage.
       As a side bar piece of information, boat owners with EFI inboards and I/O engines replace the electric fuel pump as a regular maintenance item every two season. The reason for this is simple. The electric pump on a boat is not in the fuel tank, but rather, it is located in the engine compartment. There is no fuel on the outside of the pump keeping it cool. The CG will not allow electric fuel pumps to be located in the fuel tank of the boat. Electric fuel pumps loose their efficiency very slowly, and as such, it will be hard to notice a loss of power or performance. On a marine engine, because of its high operational RPMs (3,000 +), the operator will notice the RPMs on the Tach. hunting very slowly,(not enough to alter performance). This is the first sign of a fuel pump problem. Since the pump has been loosing efficiency slowly, when the new pump is installed, a significant improvement is felt in the operation of the engine.
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Thanks Gregory. I keep telling my husband to stop letting his CR-V run down to passed when the gas light goes on. I read him the part in the owners manual about running with extremely low fuel can cause misfires and engine and catalytic converter problems. I also told him about the fuel pump needing gas as lubrication. He insists that with 2-3 gallons left in the tank, that is not "extremely low" but I say, why risk it? When the reward of letting it run low is simply to see how far you can get on a tank vs the risk of seeing how far you can get with that engine? Ugh.
    Anyway, that's for the add'l ammo. :-)
    Elissa
    Thanks for the "come back" on this posting. Ideally, the fuel level should be kept at least 1/2 of a tank. On a Civic that would be about 6.5 gallons, and on the Accord it would be about 8.5 gallons. Periodically, you should add a fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank just prior to filling the tank. There are many safe Major Brands of cleaner on the market at local auto stores, that are safe for oxygen sensors and Cat Converters. If you use these products, stay with the Major Brands. Also be careful where you purchase your fuel. Try to purchase fuel from a station that has a high turnover of fuel. Just a suggestion! -----Greg
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    are all supposed to contain adequate detergents to keep the injectors clean and working.
    Additives are a waste of money. The only one I've heard about is Chevron's Techron additive which is a high dosage of the additives they use in their own fuels. For several years they were regarded as having the best additive pack in ALL grades of their fuel. Then Texaco took the best for a while. This is according to a mechanic who keeps up with data in the trade.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,