Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    Just looking for information for a friend about her Civic. I noticed the other day that the AC took forever to blow cold air. I asked her about it and she said she was told by her service people at her dealership that this is normal for the Civic. Is this true?

I believe it is a 1999 model.

We got to where we were going and barely cold air was blowing by then.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    I'm amazed at how many pickups are sold...we're #8 with the Civic.

Just wanted to ask again..when are the 2002's coming out?

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010601/n01609966.html

• Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I have a 99 LX with 45,600 miles. I love this car with its 5 slick 5 speed. No one makes a 5 speed like Honda. I lament the death of the 5 speed. None in V-6 Accord. Rare to find in Civic in 5 speed any more.
    Anyhow, I have been getting 38,39 and up to 40 mpg with this car. 40 was a 400 mile trip at 65 mph. High 30's is my daily commute 14 miles interstate (60-65) and 2 miles streets. 32 is good but all things equal it sounds a little low, but you may be a redline guy or gal with heavy foot. Using 5w30 oil changed regularly? One person in the car?
    Take care
    INKY
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Usually Honda models with no major changes start arriving in September. There have been exceptions but it's a good bet you will see the '02 Civic then.
  • Options
    wvelezwvelez Member Posts: 16
    I'd like to know how the coupe (I know - this is a sedan forum, but please hear me out) achieved its excellent head side impact rating, when the side airbag does NOT cover the head (just the torso).
    This is particularly puzzling because the civic coupe achieved higher ratings for head protection in side impact testing compared to certain other cars which have the (head and chest) side airbag protection, such as the Mazda Protege, VW's.
    Was it luck?; testing variabilities?
  • Options
    Just looking for information for a friend about her Civic. I noticed the other day that the AC took forever to blow cold air. I asked her about it and she said she was told by her service people at her dealership that this is normal for the Civic. Is this true?

Thanks.
  • Options
    gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    For a test to be valid there has to be a benchmark in procedures and standards, so luck is ruled out. The tests should then be applied uniformly, making the variables in the cars themselves. The rule is that scores are obtained by the dummy's injuries. In translation (not being aware of the Mazda's equipment and assuming the Protégé achieved a lower testing score), the Mazda dummy had more injuries regardless of side-protection design. It's the sum of the parts that count (think Ford F-150). But then again, crashtests are tools to extract mean statistical data.
  • Options
    tomaszwtomaszw Member Posts: 1
    Since march I have been looking for small sedan. At the beginning I was considering WV Jetty, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentry. After many hours on the interned, at the dealers, searching newspapers. At the end I was considering only two - Honda Civic and ... Hyundai El antra. After test drives I decided to go with the Hyundai. Why? 13000$ (with the tax) - 140Hp, air, auto, power windows, mirrors, locks, side bags, 10 years warranty. For Civic DX + air, 5 speed manual + nothing powered they wanted 15000$ (with tax). I've driven my Elantra for 3 weeks and I'm very happy. I could have made such a big mistake if I bought something else.
  • Options
    superegosuperego Member Posts: 6
    I've got an e-mail notification of Civic recall
    from carpoint. There are 2 records in the recall
    history.
    But I don't know if my car is in the number of
    cars with problems.
    My car is 2001 Civic EX Auto Sedan, bought in
    2001, April.
    Should I drive my car to see the dealer or wait
    for the written recall notice?
  • Options
    bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    32 is about right. My car gets about 32 on the highway at 75 to 77 mph. Actually, my car gets about 33 no matter what. City driving, lead foot, highway, doesn't matter, it'll be between 32 and 34. However, once I spent the day driving back and forth from a town 40 mi away. In all, I drove 324 miles that day and averaged 40 mpg. That day, though, the cruise was permanently set at about 68 w/the air running.

The Civic coupe did better because the coupe has additional metal bracing in the side near the door rails to make up for the structural integrity lost from the elongated doors. This extra bracing shows up in its better crash test scores.

For 2002, white will probably be an EX color, and Eternal Blue might be discontinued...usually introductory colors don't last long. Then again, this is Honda, and that blue is used throughout the Honda and Acura model range. So I guess a better way to put it is to say that the blue might become available on DXs and LXs. Oh, one lat thing: I wouldn't be surprised if all of the cars came standard with the rear cupholder. It'd be nice if they extended ABS as a line-wide option. I would be seriously surprised if the feature content of particularly the LX cars isn't enhanced. This fall sees the introduction of the new Lancer and inches us closer to the introduction of a new Corolla. Given how sales have been slightly off, Honda might choose to add a little bit to at least the LXs.
  • Options
    heyqaqaheyqaqa Member Posts: 3
    Recall #1:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V182000
    Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY:PIPE:FILLER:NECK
    Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 120649

Year: 2001
    Make: HONDA
    Model: CIVIC
    Manufactured From: JUN 2000 To: JAN 2001
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:
    Vehicle Description: Sedan and coupe model vehicles. The hose clamps on the filler neck tube have insufficient clamping force.

In a severe collision, the tube could disconnect from the fuel tank, resulting in fuel leakage. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire.

Dealers will check the hose clamps for proper torque and tighten them correctly, if necessary. Owner notification is expected to begin during June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Recall #2:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V183000
    Component: FUEL:FUEL PUMP
    Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 56269

Year: 2001
    Make: HONDA
    Model: CIVIC
    Manufactured From: AUG 2000 To: FEB 2001
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:
    Vehicle Description: Sedan model vehicles. A small amount of water may have been left in the fuel pump electrical connector after testing. This residual water could cause the fuel pump to fail due to corrosion.

If the pump stops working, the engine will stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will inspect the fuel pump. If corrosion is found, the fuel pump will be replaced. Owner notification is expected to begin during June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The new Corolla is not coming this fall. It will be a 2003 model. A new Camry is coming the fall.
  • Options
    I did not say that a new Corolla was coming this fall. I just said that this fall inches us closer to the introduction of the Corolla, which implies that while it won't be in the fall, it will be shortly thereafter.

Isell, do you think it wise to wait until we have been notified by mail on this recall, or do you believe that we should just take them in there before the rush hits?
  • Options

Thanks.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Congratulations! I went through the same process and bought the new Elantra GT 5 door hatch. This is one solid car! Will post more soon. Have 600 miles already. I decided to do this after renting an Elantra from Hertz for 2 weeks. If Hertz is confident enough to put these in their fleets, that is good enough for me.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    you have to let a/c to recirculate the air, it is r134 system, and all of r134 systems are not as fast to cool the air as the older r12 systems. if you have bought a new a/c unit for home you would have noticed that it takes a while to cool the air. if you are concerned that a/s is not working, have it checked whether the is a leak, which i doubt. honda has a pressure sensor which disengages the a/c pump when the refrigerant pressure is low.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i hate to say that but i got out of my cute little civic and got into a shiny new cr-v se. first impressions are -- it feels like a civic, drives like a civic, it is a civic with bigger tires and 4WD, and bigger engine (i think it is from the previous generation prelude, the block and head looks the same as my sister's 88 prelude si)the only difference is that i can see over the cabbies now, and predict whether they will stop in the middle of the road to pick up the fare. :-) i guess i will be in the cr-v forum from now on.
    take care
  • Options
    civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    What I believe Honda should do to boost sales for the 2002 Civic sedans.
    EX gets 2.0 DOHC i-VTEC from Stream
    LX and DX gets 1.7 SOHC VTEC (used on 2001 EX
    http://www.honda.co.jp/STREAM/info/type/index.html
  • Options
    Thanks ;)
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Start with making side air bags and ABS standard, so that in the case of ABS, you don't have to eat the moonroof to get it. Then redesign the totally useless center console area to incorporate real storage and an elbow level center arm rest, not the Hyundai Accent-like tack on that they currently put on the driver's seat of the EX. I'd leave the engine alone and use the more powerful one for the Si for those who want it. But I would seriously consider offering a 5 door hatch...perhaps turn the HX into that.
  • Options
    bdesaibdesai Member Posts: 24
    Agree with you civic cx 92. They also need some brainstorming to do to jazz it up with a more creative interior (seats colors, more aluminium accents) and please change the ugly tail lights. Also could firm up the ride.
  • Options
    bdesaibdesai Member Posts: 24
    Don't tell me I am the only one who does not like the rear end of the new civic. Personally, I like muscular butts on cars like BMW's. Hate sloping butts like in my 98 Camry and the new Civic.
  • Options
    scrap Prelude, new model to replace Prelude, hybrid-power Civic sedans in the USA about next March.

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0625/.honda626.htm

Okay I'll agree with mpgman regarding making ABS and side airbags standard for 2002 civics. The 5 door hatch sold in Europe may hurt the sedan and Odyssey sales IMHO as I'd buy it over the sedan.
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Why ? The sales are VERY good right now also!
    If they sale average 30K per month, even then they get to 360K which is atleast 20K better than they predicted !

Yes but LX should get ABS optional, also Civic EX should get allo wheels as a bit cheaper option(than purchasing it from dealer/aftermarket)

AND FOR THE GOD'S SAKE, MAKE CHERRY RED/FIREPEPPER RED available on the 4 door Civic !
  • Options
    jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Try making air conditioning available on the DX or HX as a factory option. A basic car with air and cassette is all one needs for commuting.

Don't care for side airbags, would not pay for them.

The styling on the 01's stinks, makes the car look cheap to me.

Bring back the hatchback version of the Si. We'll see what the one from Britain will cost.
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    You are all dreaming if you think Honda will make the kind of changes you are asking for. You're lucky if you get an additional colour when the 02s come out. iVTEC engine? alloys? factory A/C on HX/DX? No way. 02s will simply have fixes that have plagued the 01s like the fuel guage, rear suspension and radio code problem.
  • Options
    markd7markd7 Member Posts: 8
    The 5 door hatchback, a little more engine displacement - why not 1800cc for a bit more torque and quieter 65 mph cruising without killing gas mileage, an option for 4 wheel discs w/abs without having to get the moonroof, and bring back the front double wishbone suspension. The last two may have nothing to do with actual braking or steering performance but I for one would welcome them on an emotional level. I'm not dissatisfied with my 2001LX sedan, but I'd gladly have paid $1 to $1.5K more to get exactly what I want.
  • Options
    Incentives offered for Portland, Oregon area.

2001 Toyota Corolla, $500 cash, low 2.9~4.9% loan

2001 Ford Focus, $500 cash, low 2.9~6.9% loan

2001 Sentra, low 3.9~5.9% loan

2000/2001 Protégé, $500 cash, low 1.9~4.9% loan

2001 Dodge Neon, $1000 cash, low 0.9~3.9% loan

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS, $500 cash

none offered for VW or Civic models.
    http://www2.edmunds.com/edweb/rebates/index.html

Expected strong sales numbers buoyed by incentives
    http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirh28_20010628.htm
  • Options
    scooter62scooter62 Member Posts: 18
    Back on the problems board people are whining again about the JDP initial quality survey. INITIAL quality! Not PROVEN long term reliability! I tested the Civic, Corolla and Sentra and bought the Civic cuz I LIKED the ride better than the others and it felt good to me. I havent had any problems (except for maybe the dumb gas gauge - piddly stuff). For proven long term reliability any one of those three will suffice. I like what I got.
  • Options
    patrick45patrick45 Member Posts: 20
    I test drove a 2002 Honda Civic LX on Sunday and and also test drove a 2002 Toyota Corolla. The Civic is so far superior to the Corolla it's ridiculous. The ride, handling, and steering is excellent compared to the Corolla. The interior is way, way, way more inviting and seems of a better quality than the Corolla and the Civic seems to have more amenities. The Civic is extremely solid. It seems like most people are expecting the Civic to feel and drive like a way more expensive car. The Civic is simply an economy car. For an economy car, it's a damn good one! Don't expect an Acura or Lexus for $15,000 or $16,000. You want Acura/Lexus type performance/quality/amenities, be ready to cough up $35,000 minimum. By the way, Acura and Lexus aren't perfect either. What is, anyway? Lexus has TSB's also.
  • Options
    alexs95alexs95 Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a 2001 Civic EX this year. Can anyone tell me if all Civics come with Clear Coat Paint?
  • Options
    britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I read somewhere that most cars (like 90%) built after 1990 have a clearcoat -
  • Options
    funkywufunkywu Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone. I'll be buying a new 2001 Civic LX with Automatic Transmission. Can someone give me an idea of what would be good price? Please specify whether the amount you list includes taxes. Thanks
  • Options
    You should use edmunds, kelly and at least cars direct to get a fair price. I'm assuming you want the sedan, and that you want no options.

Civic LX 14,400 (edmunds TMV)
    Destination 440
    Local Taxes (depends on state) from 700 to 1200
    Title, Registration, Fees under 200

So..I'd say near 16,000 out the door is a great price. There should not be any ADM, prep fees or ad fees.

Warranty will run around 800 if you choose to get it.
  • Options
    newcivnewciv Member Posts: 22
    Just received my Recall notice regarding potentially defective fuel pump wiring which could corrode and stall the vehicle. Will have it corrected on the next dealer visit.

NewCiv
  • Options
    superegosuperego Member Posts: 6
    Can you tell the details of your car?
    Where is it made? in Japan?
    Please tell the first number of VIN.
    I want to know that this recall will affect
    all the new civics or only part of them.
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    If initial quality is not necessarily linked to long term relability as some have suggested, then maybe I should buy a Kia Sportage and maybe the Lexus LS430 will fall apart after 3 years. Although you cannot draw any conclusions between results that are close to each other, the fact that the LS430 was at the top and the Sportage was last does indicate that the survey is somewhat accurate.
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    there's a dealer in NJ who sells consistently LXs for under $13,000, plus tax and tags.
  • Options
    Over $1000 under invoice for an LX 2 door coupe. Looks good initially, but he probably adds destination...now its 13,440...now about 4-500 under invoice. Still an excellent deal as long as he doesn't add anything else such as ADM, prep etc. Now add title and tax and you get into the 14,700 range. Those screamer ads can be a little misleading.
  • Options
    Superego: First number of VIN is "1" (Made in Canada). Around the 30,000 vin range.

rgarbaccio: I am one of those people who bought in NJ..... $12,899 for a 2001 LX sedan. Oh, there was one other "add-on"..... TAX! Absolutely nothing misleading about the screamer ad I answered!
    I've actually been wondering why so many people on this thread paid SO MUCH MORE!

NewCiv
  • Options
    gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    Goodness! Some believe the IQS is gospel - without analyzing how the data is COLLECTED AND APPLIED. "the fact that the LS430 was at the top and the Sportage was last" is because the Lexus is more expensive (or the parts are of higher quality). If you prefer... it is not at all surprising a Honda/Clarion(?) is inferior to a Lexus/Mark-Levinson.
    Of course, people, if you believe the IQS is the unequivocal tool, then enjoy.
  • Options
    Can you tell me the dealer...and how much was he selling EX's for? If you would prefer to email it to me ..let me know.

Thanks -

rgarbaccio
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    1 : USA (also 4)
    2: Canada
    J : Japan
    K: Korea
  • Options
    Most of the Civics come from East Liberty, Ohio, right? I wonder how many come from Japan.
  • Options
    I bought mine from Rt22 Honda in Hillside, NJ. Here's their link:
    http://www.route22honda.com
    From time to time, I still see the $12,899 ad for the 2001 Civic LX, 5-speed. They usually only have 1 VIN listed, but you should be able to get another around the same or a bit higher.

Sorry, I never priced the EX, however, it should be proportionally the same (meaning much lower than invoice like my LX).

NewCiv

• Options
    skyringskyring Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a Honda Civic LX or DX with air for my son and I've notice a couple of folks mention that we should not have to pay for "any ADM, prep fees or ad fees". Can someone tell me what ADM means? I'd appreciate any buying tips folks might have and any recommendations for fair dealerships near the Atlanta, GA, Augusta, GA, Greenville, SC, and Charlotte, NC areas. I live in the Augusta, GA, area and am willing to travel some for a deal. Thanks for any info to dale30809ga@aol.com
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ADM means "Additional dealer markup", i.e. profit for the dealer. Some dealers think they can charge more than MSRP for hot-selling cars. If I were you, I'd ignore it and just negotiate as if it were not there, that is, ask for the dealer's best price and let them know you'll go elsewhere if it's not a good deal. That's great that you are willing to travel for a deal; you should be able to find a dealer somewhere that does not charge ADM. The Civic is not so rare or exceptional that they should be able to get away with that monkey business in today's market.

BTW, prep fees are ridiculous also--it says right on the factory window sticker that dealer preparation is included.
  • Options
    carshopper40carshopper40 Member Posts: 4
    The invoice price Consumer Reports lists for a Honda Civic EX is about $600 less than the invoice price Edmunds lists. The dealer says the invoice is right around what Edmunds says. Why the difference?
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The difference is holdback, which CU considers not part of invoice, but Edmunds and most other sources do.

Dealers do not like to invade holdback in calculating profits on transactions, and most sales people are not compensated for any "profit" that derives strictly from holdback. The owner of the dealership is supposed to see this money, and no one else...of course, in the real world, things are all over the map on this question.

Holdback is intended as a tool to help the dealership compensate for flooring costs [the costs of holding inventory], and other misc expenses. And it doesn't come to the dealer until after the sale is complete.