Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• looker11looker11 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone think $24k is a good price for a 2001.5 Passat?

Silver, luxury package, black leather package. no monsoon or cd player.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Good news!!! New Warranty Package being formally announced on Monday...
    Check out the thread over at www.vwvortex.com for the possibilities
  • cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    I am thinking that VW might have a little trouble selling the passat in the high thirty/low forty thousand range. Don't get me wrong, I love to brag about the value/virtues of my passat as much as the next guy but the value equation gets somewhat jumbled when the price shoots up that high. I mean c'mon, thats almost twice what I paid for my for 1.8. Have you guys seen what you can get in the sub forty thousand price range? We're talking Audi's, beemers, lexus, mercedes,...real sport performance/luxury brands. If this were still 1997-2000 I would say "sure why not" but cars are moving slow right now and I think VW has bit off more than their customers want to chew.
    It will be another 6 months before this new product finds it's way onto
    showroom floors and 6 months can mean alot when it comes the economy
    and markets as we saw last year.

In addition, I think that it will be packed with enough surprises that it will
    capture it's anticipated market share...
  • zippy98zippy98 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 1998 VW Passat (turbo) in the middle of April, 2001. It is a certified used VW, complete with the certified warranty. We have had it in the shop 4 times in 2 months!!! We noticed a "rubbing" noise when you turn the wheel. The first time we brought it in for this problem, we were told that the power steering cable was loose, so they tightened it (seems strange that this was missed a few weeks prior when we picked up the car - considering they are supposed to give it a 7 million point inspection in order for it to pass the test and be eligible to be sold as a "certified" VW). This seemed to fix the problem for about a week when we noticed the same rubbing noise. We brought it back to the dealer and they added power steering fluid and sealed the pin whole leak they found in the cable. The dealer had to order a new power steering cable so once again, we were back in the shop the next week for this to be installed (took 3 hours). Great, one would think this should fix the problem. But if you are counting with me, this only adds up to 3 times in the shop. Another week or so has passed and needless to say, it is back at the dealer. This time they offered to give us a "loaner" car to drive while they looked at our car once again to try to determine what is wrong with it. How nice of them. Help! I am beyond frustrated with this situation and the dealership where we bought the car (in RI). I did a check on Carfax to see if our car is a lemon (which I think it is!) but it came back clean. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had similar problems with their 1998 Passat? I want to give the car back to the dealer and get a different one!
    Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world, and although I certainly understand your justifiable
    frustration...it seems that the Dealership is standing behind the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty,
    even to the extent of providing you with a Service Loaner, which is NOT part of the Program
    by the way.

Try to be patient, and be thankful that you made a wise decision getting a Certified car...A typical
    *used car* carries a 90 day 3000 mile Powertrain Warranty only, and this problem would NOT be
    covered.

And...*Lemon* cars cannot be Certified by VWOA....
    I hope you are right in terms of having a bullish economy as soon as six months.

What is VW's "anticipated market share" for the W8? Do they think it will outsell the other engines or merely be offered as a super performance variant available in limited quantities...like an M3 is with BMW?
    The later...although I may have the opportunity to learn more about that in
    couple of hours when VWOA formally launches the new Warranty Pkg.
  • geojodygeojody Member Posts: 1
    Hmmmm you've all see the gas prices skyrocketing. I was just wondering how important it is to have the supreme gas in the passat? Around where I live it's

87 regular $1.69
    89 premium $1.79
    93 supreme $1.89 & up

I know the manuals suggest anything higher than 91.... But could I get by with 89 octane?
  • vw4mevw4me Member Posts: 1
    This is a reply to 'Looker11' I just purchased a 2001.5 Passat 5/31 and paid 25,500 OTD. Reflex silver/1.8T/Black velour int/Monsoon W/6disc CD changer & tinted windows. Sharp looking car and I Luuuuv driving it!
  • clscflmclscflm Member Posts: 71
    Rumors flying about VWVortex that Colorado Red will be discontinued for 2002 models. Great. One of the big reasons I decided not to remain with Honda on this new car purchase was because of their deadly dull design and lack of color choice (and because I can't afford a Volvo S60!). I'm one of those who are bored stiff by the obsession with silvers, whites (white!!) and earth tones everywhere. I want my dark red, please. I was delighted with Passat's safety design, engine AND color selection, especially as I've only seen one or two of the Colorado Reds (versus spotting a ton of 2000 whites, blacks and the new 2001.5s in endless silver). Now I get this news and feel really downhearted after all my research and hopes... I want the new warranty, but is it too late to order a 2001.5 in that "miserable" Colorado Red? vwguild? What a drag.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    If the manufactuer says to put in 91+ for best performance and MPG, then you should do so.

We are talking about an extra $2.80 per fill-up to keep your new $20,000+ new vehicle running it's best. Small price to pay if you ask me.
  • moonbeemmoonbeem Member Posts: 12
    Looker11, I just bought a 2001.5 Silver Passat with Luxury/Leather/Monsoon/CD/Homelink for $25000. Ask them for a copy of the invoice and then go from there, but I wouldn't pay more than $500 over.
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    I just browsed through a new magazine at Borders from Consumers Digest showing photos and drawings of 2002,3 and 4 autos. They have a drawing of a larger redesigned Passat - new front end and rear, plus more legroom, based on the Audi A6 platform which will house the new 8 cylinder. Any pics on the internet of the car?
    The Passat is already "... based on the Audi A6 platform ..." So is the Audi A4. This si VWAG's "B5" platform.

The biggest reason for the '01.5 reskin of the Passat was to lengthen the nose to accomodate the upcoming 8-cyl.

The new for '02 Audi A4 is built of the new "B6" platform. The next Passat and A6 wil be as well.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...is just a rag when it comes to this kind of info. They're fine on the numbers, but they are generally clueless on upcoming models, unless the manufacturer has already revealed something very explicit that they can show.
  • help411help411 Member Posts: 1
    I am a college student trying to replace my crappy ford model for a more dependable attractive car. I fell in love the passat, yet I do hear all these bad reviews. I am I going to end up spending most my studing time in the shop, like I am now? Also I am not the brightest bulb about cars, so any help about distinguishing which passat is the best between the v6, turbo, or any of the other prefixes that are foreign to me would be helpful along with any tips about dealing with the dealers. Thank you so much!
    I misspoke in my previous post. The "Passat Plus" as it is tentatively called is based on the Audi A8 (not A6) and it will only come with the new V8. Again, the magazine showed a drawing of it which revealed a different front end design.
  • bitburgbitburg Member Posts: 15
    I'm on the verge of buying a GLX 4-motion and what to know how any of you 4-motion owners like the car. Does it make a big difference? Also to the seats fold back like they do on the GLS?
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    I just crossed first 1000 miles in my 4 week old GLX. Anyhow, I declined the 4 Mo because the rear seats didn't fold down. Also, the trunk appears smaller. My dealer told me it would cost about $1500. over the fwd GLX. I did drive it and as they say in the car mags, 4-Mo was "transparant."
    I can't imagine getting a better driving/handling/powerful car without spending close to $10000 more. Also, though I have the auto trans. I was told you have no choice with the 4-Mo. Only Tiptronic. I live in the NYC area and winters fairly mild, 4-Mo not necessary. Good luck.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Although I bought a new Pas sat a few months ago,and totally love it,my first thought was to dissuade you from buying one. have had no problems at all so far,and I don't think Vs are finicky "shop queens"And they are not Espically troublesome cars. But I can't deny that they most likely lack the toaster-like dependability of an Accord or Canary.
    But you did mention "attractive",which to me suggests that you are a car entheuist.Because I do think you have to be one to really be happy with a Passat.It is a little more expensive to maintain,but it is MUCH more fun to drive. I'd suggest the 5spd. 4 cylinder. The 6 adds $3,000 because it comes also with a lot of wood trim inside. Even if you didn't think you were a manual transmission person,consider it. As the automatic is a 5spd with "tiptronic"shifting,it is rather expensive($1,000)And the stick shift adds a LOT of fun to the driving.(Superlative silage(31 mpg)too).
    But the car must be looked at as a luxury of a sort,in that it has a lot of sport built into it. Whereas an Accord is meant to be like a refrigerator-after its initial expense,you don't want to spend a dime on it or even think about it. The Pas sat you can get involved with,and I do think iot is,bar none,the most attractive sedan on the market.
  • bitburgbitburg Member Posts: 15
    Thanks car_nut1. I also live in a large city where the winter is mild but I like to ski so I'm trying to figure out if its usefull. Has anyone out there driven their 4-motion in the snow, ice ect.....please tell me how it performed.
  • g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    I need advice. I just bought a new Passat yesterday and brought it home. I think everyone here would agree that we are paying top dollar for this car and expect high quality materials and workmanship. Someone threw an egg at my car and the vehicle has sustained significant paint damage. From a lowly egg. You'd think that VW is putting out a better quality product than this. I will complain to VW. Does anybody have any suggestions? Do you think VW will cover this repair, due to "faulty workmanship/materials?" I'd like some feedback.

g20eng
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    The next passat will not be like the next A6 and 2002 A4 (B6 Platform). From the A-pillar back it will be B6 but from the A-pillar Forward it will be like the next Jetta... meaning, a transverse engine/transmission with the Transverse style AWD systems (vs quattro now). The current version of the Passat was the first, and will be the last VW that shares a complete platform with an audi. The current Passat has the drivetrain/suspension of the A4 but the Rear suspension of the A6.
    g20eng:
    You're kidding right?
  • venanzikvenanzik Member Posts: 72
    I would like to know if anyone has recently used this plan through vw. or knows more about it. Are there any disadvantages to be aware of? How are the payments figured out? I posted questions on this once before but didnt seem to get any responses. anyone? ..thanks for your time
    VWOA is no more responsible than if someone through a rock at your
    car...This is a matter for your Insurance Co.

Any damage to your car is from the shell; not the egg!

What you are saying is that you would hold the Manufacturer of your
    Television set responsible if the Cable service went out of order....
  • g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    Yes, you are right, the damage is from an eggshell, not a rock. The paint should be able to withstand any contact made between the two. I bought a Passat, not a Hyundai. You are stating that I am holding VW responsible for someone else's BEHAVIOR. Not so, I am questioning the quality of the product they put out. It's a different issue.

g20eng
    g20eng

Oh my goodness, you're serious!
  • moonbeemmoonbeem Member Posts: 12
    I completely agree with vwguild. I have had my car egged and their was damage, its not the car.
    It is not VWOA's fault that there are stupid people in this world that like to egg new cars.
    I would put it in the past, talk to your insurance co. and park your car in the garage next time.
    I read somewhere that the force of an eggshell breaking on your car is nearly the same as someone smaching a drinking glass on your car. I'm no physics expert though.
    OK, now don't laugh -- but is there anything you can wash your new Passat with to help protect it against such unwarranted assaults (and other such things that fall from the sky when outdoors)? Anything VW especially recommends/uses? (I know; I can check out the Maintenance list, I have, but still wondering) I like to be well informed...
    are working under the principle of Velocity, or Gravity...depending upon the
    point of origin.

This has nothing to do with the 26 coats of paint on your Passat...Actually
    you can also test this yourselves in another less dramatic way...Take a key and
    drag it down the side of your new car...then do the same thing to your Steinway
    in the living room or den, and then finally any another beautifully painted object in
    your home...

The results will no doubt all be similar; putting to rest the idea that VWOA is
    selling a faulty product, but one that is merely vulnerable to vandalism...
    Now that my Passat is a month old, thought I'd read through the manuals. Booklet 3.3 mentions that passengers should weigh no more than 150lbs or 68Kg. Do you think this is a typo? Or, should most of us be selling our cars? Maybe dieting. I know I won't be able to get back in my car for at least 3 months. If a friend drives, I can ride on the roof, 220Lbs or 100Kg maximum there. Please respond so that I know where I belong.
  • seongobaeseongobae Member Posts: 1
    I have one-week old passat. It runs great at first and now it has an annoying noise from passenger side. I am sure it comes from air conditioning system. The noise is kind of scratching material from the passenger side of engine hood, when
    I turn off the AC, I can hear the noise for a while and then can't hear that. So, if someone have same problem, let me know how to fix it.

And you guys know Homelink with sunvisor extension. But I am not sure what it is.
    I have this option for my car but I couldn't find sunvisor extension at the manual or wherever.
    If WV didn't install the sunvisor extension,
    I should ask for it.

Last thing, my car do have sunroof, but it didn't work at first. I was so upset and I want to find out what is the cause of malfunction. Actually I couldn't wait for the dealer service during the weekend. So I tried to dignose the problem by myself, and found that VW didn't install the fuse for the sunroof. Oh, my goodness! Then I put the fuse in the box and now works fine. Can you believe VW didn't put the fuse and didn't test all systems.
    Seongobae. Your dealer is at fault for the missing fuse. When VW calls or you get a questionaire make sure you give your dealer failing grades. You were probably asked by your salesman to give passing grades of course, but don't. My car was in prep for 3 hours before it was turned over to me. I know because I drove it from the storage facility with the plastic wrap all over it to the dealers lot. I had a slight "whinning" fan noise when I turned the air conditioner on for a few days, but it eventually disappeared and has not returned. A lot of cars have fan noise at first. So did my two previous Camry's. Tell your dealer about the missing fuse and let them know that you are not happy about the poor prep.
    VW did not reinvent paint or the painting process when they came out with our beloved passat. Things that damage cars in general(like eggs)will damage your passat. If you are interested, BMW builds an armoured version of its 740il. That car can stop bullets with its windows...eggs I'm not sure. Anyways, we all feel your pain concerning the damage to your car, but in this time of suffering it is important not to play the "blame game". The other day I came out of a customers place and noticed some small dents in the back of my passat's trunk. Instead of blaming the dents on an inferior grade of metal, I took it down to dentpro and had them removed. I suggest you do damage control by just getting your car fixed ASAP. Getting mad at VW will not ease the pain.
    The 150# number is universal and is part of a traditional formula
    to compute the GVWR for all vehicles...Cars & Trucks...

Not too dissimilar to medicine that uses 165# as a standard from which
    all else is then computed, drug dosages, etc. Sort of the Common
    Denominator...

As to Booklet 3.3 you have to multiply 150 X 5 = 750#s, plus Luggage and
    the other ingredients...

Now...give me another 10 situps!!!!
  • passatdriverpassatdriver Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Pas sat 1.8T auto on June 8. It is a pleasure to drive. I took it in a week later because of a defect in the windshield. It wasn't a scratch, but looked more like someone took a knife and made a slice through the layers of glass if that is possible. The dealer replaced it under warranty, and they were nice about it too.

I notice the "lag" that occurs when I accelerate from 0 in drive. When I use Tiptronics shifting the lag is not there. It's more fun driving on surface streets using Tiptronics anyway.

Other than that I've had no complaints. This car is sporty yet classy, cool yet sophisticated, stylish yet conservative, slow yet . . . . that's enough.

I get so many looks and compliments about my car. I wish I could have afforded the leather, sunroof and wood trim, but then again when you add all of those options the Pas sat ceases to be the bargain I was looking for in the first place. By the way, I walked into the showroom and asked to talk to the Fleet salesperson. I drove away in my 2001.5 Pas sat for $350 over invoice. In my opinion Fleet is the only way to go.
  • sam082158sam082158 Member Posts: 5
    Anybody ever try the Driver's Option that's available? Was wondering what makes it different from a traditional lease. Also, does someone out there have any experience to share doing business with Southpoint VW in Baton Rouge, LA?
  • hk6hk6 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering to buy a new Passat V6 GLS model.
    Please advise, any comments will be appreciated.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I bougth a 1,8 5spd Passat in 98, it has been faultless and a pleasure to drive, and the service and dealings with them have been excellent, no guimmicks or pressure in any form.

We are considering to trade the Passat for a new one, this time an automatic with a V6 because the wife does not find the 5speed convenient anymore in the stop and go traffic.

Any comments from Passat's with auto and V6.

Thanks
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I want to know how you talked the wife into letting you get a Porsche and all she gets is a Passat (it's a nice car, but it's no Porsche).
    Forgive the ignorance here, but I've heard that the 2002 model, with its new warranty and minor upgrades -- will actually not have the major gizmo many of us anticipate -- the CD player -- in the first wave of arrivals. So, other than that warranty, what will be any different from the 2001.5 that should make anyone beat down the door to snatch up the new 2002? Surely the other minor additions don't merit it. And why is it exactly that the new model won't be complete until later? How much later? Is this just a rumor or fact? TIA.
  • bluenicbluenic Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions, I have just purchased a new 2001 Pas sat 1.8T sedan . It has a Standard single CD AM-FM Stereo Audio system . The instructions state that it is a Eurovox model HPB-4680, I am having big problems with the AM Reception in the area I live in South West Australia. Any normal cheap radio will pick up at least 5 strong AM stations in our area , but I am only able to get a weak reception on 1 AM station.
    So, has anybody got any suggestions on how I can improve the AM reception with this Audio system supplied with my Passat

bluenic.
    You are right, no reason...the .5 launched, the new Warranty is in place for the
    02s, CD coming with the late Sept. & early Oct. cars.

Steve...you might want to check on something as simple as the AM ground...
  • ring2001ring2001 Member Posts: 4
    I quoted Edmund's invoice cost for a 2001.5 Volkswagen New Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)including destination at $22,599 to a dealer in Georgia and got the following reply..."$217 Port charges is not listed on the net's invoice". What's that all about?
  • ulurutechulurutech Member Posts: 6
    I noticed a lot of negative comments in regards to the Tan interior on the Passat 2001.5 models. I'm on the verge of buying a GLX.5 and am leaning toward the tan interior mainly for the hot days of summer here in Sacramento (black is baaaddd on those hot days)

Don't get me wrong, I think that some of the color combos with black and grey interior looks good but I'm leaning for a tan interior with a complimenting/contrasting exterior color I saw and *liked* the Silverstone Gray Metallic exterior with the tan interior till I saw the "horrendous" post in regards to the color combo. Other colors I like was the Blue Anthracite or Blue Silver.

Am I just a sicko with bad taste?

Uluru.
    tan interior is no longer really tan, more like butter color. Last years tan is probably the "tan" your picturing. My 2001.5 GLX, pine with tan was so awful I traded it after 350 miles. I got indigo w/gray. Looks great. Also, the tan was filthy after 10 days. Headliner was covered with fingerprints, only way to remove was to shampoo which I didn't care to do. I think the tan is a truly ugly color. Just my opinion and experience. Why can't VW start using "real colors", BRG w/saddle and true navy w/oxblood red leather. Some of the great British colors. Please, no more metallics.
    Port Prep = $25
    FloorPlan Interest Reserve = $92

Total = $117

Diane...I love the new Beige(Butter) interior; some do not...That is what makes a market!
    It is really more of a practical issue to me...I like the Beige in my Indigo Blue GLX, but
    then again, I don't transport a lot of kids and their gear in it. Beige is Beige and if low
    maintenance is important, then Grey or Black is better. My Wife's Variant has grey
    leather, and although not as bullet proof as the black it is certainly more forgiving
    than Beige...But...You should get what you like...no one here is going to step for
    your payment; so live large!!!